~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 30, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8596194

Sounds as though everyone in in 'full swing' with their gardens ... I'm off to get mulch today and some soil .. right now I think it might be best to have a few yards of topsoil delivered and work from that.

Rain MIGHT be on the weather agenda .. still remains kinda cool here as well.

Hope everyone has a great week !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8596468

"M" looks like sunshine all week..today high 70's but humid, tomorrow in the 80's..
Thanks for moving us over...I should also order 1/2 load of topsoil but think for this year I'll go purchase a few container of time release pebbles in hopes it will fertilize.

"M" one of the 3 men who are spending the week at my house re B&B was gabbing and said his mother was from ThunderBay originally, now in Calgara..all her sibblings have passed on but she wants to take a trip home to see their graves before she can no longer do so..said he moved from ThunderBay when he was 4..should ask him him family names..the other two brother both in early 40's were fighter pilots, one brother who lives in Calgary flies for WestJet the other brother for AirCanada..good looking fellows, took a shine to them, so remind me of my boys same age..

I worked most of the weekend in the gardens, can't believe how much time I've spend and still so much to do..thought having a country garden would be less work..NOT!

Weather co-operating in your area girls???? seeing any flowers yet..mine will be late, bet nothing until July...boo hoo

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8596777

Back from the Handbell Festival. We had a blast and my group is really PUMPED! Too bad it's the end of the season. Someone asked how we got down there. One of my group has a van and took all the bells. Foam pads were parceled out to others. A lot of people drove on their own because they have family/friends in the Toronto/Hamilton region and wanted to visit.

But that's an issue which will have to be addressed next time in 2 years when the event will be in Guelph because many of us feel it's too much for the person who usually takes the bells and we're all getting older.

I took some pics, but haven't taken them off the camera card yet. For those of you on Facebook, looke me up (Ann Bockes Frederking) as I've posted them there and I'll post a few here next time the card gets near the computer.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8596814

Ann, glad you enjoyed your weekend..now why do you say 'end of season' is it not something you do all year round???

I'd say from looking at those bells that I wouldn't want to be the one tugging them around..could each participant be responsible for the bell and equipment they will be using? Bet your are aching..

Hope it's sunshine in your neck of the woods so you can sit out in the gardens and relax.

Must tell you Ann, with all this rain my Hosta's are so huge...will have to take photo,will once the last of the weeds are taken out of the gardens, they too are growing to beat the dickens.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 30, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8596935

Thing about bells is that they go in a grouping, in a bell case. They each have their own bag perhaps, but the case is meant for bells. Especially transporting them, they need to be in the case. Easily damaged otherwise.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8596948

Susan, is there an area called Belle vista in Calgary? that's where one of the men live. How are you feeling???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 30, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8597310

I was wondering how you are as well Susan? Hope your chest pain episode was just 'heart burn' ... have to be vigilant with that type of pain.

Betty .. seems no matter where I go, and I have travelled quite a bit, i ALWAYS meet someone who either knows someone from Thunder Bay, has lived in Thunder Bay, or has friends/relations here :-)
Your 'construction workers' sound like nice fellas.

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .. we are sure having a very cool day today with sporadic rain .. hard to believe that the folks down windsor and Toronto way are looking at 41C tomorrow .. uggggggggggg !!!!!!

Off to rattle some pots and pans !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8597329

they really are not construction workers "M" air pilots for major airlines..purchased triplex and doing upgrades to it as they rent them out!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8597438

Got a link to a video the spouse of one of my ringers took. We are really rocking -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYzfx4PTQsM&feature=email

There are a bunch of pics of the group and our bells over on the Coffee thread for today on the Parking Lot. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1185623/

And, for our first three octaves, we have new Port-a-bell cases - on wheels like luggage. They are WONDERFUL! http://www.bellcase.com/pictures.html The largest case of our 4th octave is a factory wooden case but we ordered wheels and call if Fido. When we got the Port-a-bells, we retrofitted one of the smaller wooden cases, added wheels and a pull chain and store our binders in it.

The only things not on wheels are our foams which link together in 3's to carry with one hand, our two cases of chimes, two cases of baby bells, out F3 (in a 5 gallon tub with handle), the C3 which we didn't take and a box of tools and misc. items, a plastic box of sheets for table covers and a small box with our ties.

Susan - the CANADIAN Festival will be held in Calgary soon. http://www.handbell.ca/RingingLink/ You might like to attend their final concert. One of the Ottawa groups is planning to attend it. And you are right that the bells should be in their cases for protection although at Festivals if ringers need to take small bells to a workshop (learning 4IH technique), a lot of them just loop the handles together and carry a string of them. We have some tube socks and we put each bell in a sock if we carry them around like that.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 30, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8597665

I will now be humming and/or singing 'Good Vibrations" for a bit :-)
What a wonderful video .. just outstanding Ann .. thank you for sharing .. I do hope Susan (or any other of the Calgarians on the forum) can make it to the Canadian Festival.

Oh my Betty, talk about getting occupations mixed up .. HEY .. maybe you can get a free flight somewhere LoL
Would imagine they come and go at varying hours ..

Just spent the last 45 minutes looking for a missing sandal!! Piper has a fetish .. and it's SHOES .. he really doesn't destroy them, he just likes to HIDE them .. very upsetting sometimes when your dressed to go out and you reach for your shoes and there is ONE there !!! I have moved the shoe rack into a CLOSED cupboard now ..

Waiting for a thunder storm (or not) .. sure is darkening quickly out there ..

Best get a move on, the kitchen won't tidy itself :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 30, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8597888

I'm here - keep having "spells" and no, it's not heartburn.
Now, I'm not "borrowing trouble" but I'm not eating anything that causes heartburn, and I googled angina attacks. Couldn't be more "right on". anyway, I will find out, perhaps, when I go to the clinic on Wed 8:00. They might give me the results right away, or not - may have to wait for results.
The Dr will let me know the severity - could be easily treatable, y'know!

ViolaAnn - SAIT, where the handbell concert will be in July, is about 10 min drive from home - straight down 16 Ave where I live! Are you going to go?

Betty - Bella Vista is waaaaaay the other side of the city from us. It's not an area of the city, per se, but it's a Condo Community, in the SW side of the city.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8598221

No, Susan - I'm afraid I won't be there. Too many other things going on. But I sure hope you get there.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 30, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8598371

Ann - are you the conductor?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8598608

Only of MY group. The conductor of that massed group was Dr. Deborah Carr from Missouri and she had a heck of a time getting to Toronto because of all the weather. When she's not doing bells, she's an educational psychologist. She led a VERY interesting and useful 2-part session for directors.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8598882

Hot and muggy today!!! is what we asked for isn't it, well perhaps NOT the humidity..cooler for the rest of the week..

Was up and at it this morning, although they men said they would fend for themselves, I cooked bacon and made homefries, Mike did the scrambled eggs so off they went with a full tummy..wanted to wash pots/pans but I scrammed them away. They had a long day ahead of them..they are hoping if all goes well they will leave Thursday for home..being pilots I guess they can just get on any flight that has a seat..have to ask them about that.

Susan, drats, that is NOT good..glad you don't have a long wait for your next appt. In the meantime be extra vigilant. Hope they realize you aren't well and don't make you run/run all day long..you must almost be at the end of your probation period right?

"M" have you managed to pair up all of your shoes??? lol How is Lorna doing, haven't heard you mention her progress of late?

ViolaAnn, you sure can see that music is your life. So wish I had an ounce of your talent.
Perhaps Susan will be able to attend seeing as she's so close by. Will it be televised so you can watch?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 31, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8599725

WHOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!! Man is it windy here 60K+/H ... kinda nerve wracking ... hope the mulch stays in place in the tree pits ..

Betty .. nice you made the fellas a breakfast AND, did the dishes .. yer a shweetie :-)
My shoes are paired, just a matter of discovering which hiding place he was using .. Lorna saw my pink sandal poking out from under the bed .. the other sandal was under the couch !!!

Lorna, what can I say except 'INSPIRATIONAL' .. she works in the gardens daily and has devised ways to make it easier for her to have access .. a strong and determined woman. Her parents arrive for a 2 week visit this Sunday .. looking forward to it ..

BBQing burgers tonight .. sure hope the BBQ stays lit in this wind .. I have heard, and seen, several folks going back to using charcoal briquettes .. may give it a try once again ..

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8599758

91f here, no wind, sure wish we did, yikes it's hot and of course Greg can't come to do the a/c..guys were on their way for supper/boating and a swim..said everything went well today and they got much accomplished een in this heat.

I'm on my way out, Ann thought I could come over for supper and t.v. Bing..usually it is here bit she wanted me to visit with her ..would rather be laying in the chesterfield relaxing but when a friend calls you must put your needs 2nd...

Lorna truly is an inspiration...

Got to get a move on, Darlene dropped off 2 white phlox so they should be planted before I go out..

Enjoy your evening all!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8600295

Ann- apparently you know Emmy Okazawa-Bortolin - she knows You!
She's the lady in Calgary who taught us handbells when we rented them, for our church.
She told me all about the Festival (really all-day workshops for those who want to learn handbells, or continue learning). She's encouraging me to sign up, along with our Music Minister at church. We were both in the handbell choir a couple of years ago. I can't afford the $$ right now, but sure would be nice to hear the massed choirs in the workshop!

Betty - my probation ends on Monday June 6th... hardly seems possible that much time has passed.
I need to hear the actuality of it all.
Teresa_in_BC
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8600337

my Himalayan Blue Poppie turned out purple this year!

Thumbnail by Teresa_in_BC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Teresa_in_BC
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8600342

Enkianthus - which the bees adore so much!

Teresa_in_BC
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8600345

My favourite Azalea

Teresa_in_BC
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8600346

This is an ultra sound for Whiskers' baby! LOL!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8600484

Susan - I only met Emmy Okazawa-Bortolin at this Festival. She was ringing with the Rideau Park group from Ottawa which took many fewer ringers than usual to Festival. She HAD been at the Festival 2 years ago when it was held in Ottawa, though. I didn't happen to meet her that time.

They ring at Bronze level while my group rings at Copper and the meal times don't always coincide. This time, since I participated in a 2-part workshop for directors which conflicted with Copper lunch, I skipped part of a copper rehearsal and ate lunch with the Bronze people.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8600592

Copper/Bronze? I've never heard you mention the levels before...
How long does it take to get to Copper?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8600832

Nobody assigns you to a level. The first time we went to Festival (10 years ago) we played at the Tin level. 8 years ago, the group wanted to try the music from Copper and I think we will stay there. It's challenging enough without being overly so. The levels, BTW, are taken from the metals which make up the bronze alloy from which the bells are made.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 7:43 AM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8600928

aaaaaaaaah - gotcha. How very intersting!
If the 1st level is Tin, then I suspect that's all we ever played in our choir!
Bell ringing is very challenging for beginners :-)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8600970

Tin would be level 1-2 music. Copper 2.5 - some 4. Bronze 4 and above. All the newer music is graded by American Guild of English Handbell Ringers standards although it's not perfect. One of the copper level pieces, a 3, I think, was VERY difficult. http://www.agehr.org/agehr_pub/musicdifflevel.asp

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8601096

Teresa , your gardens must be spectacular judging by these photo's..could feel my eyes open in awe, look at those colors..enchianthus, will have to go in search of more info, wonder if I could grow it in my region...I planted hundreds of poppy seeds about 3 weeks ago, doubtful anything will come of them this year but i can hope..Azelea color is breathtaking..so glad you sharred with us...we've all been having such unusual weather this year, have you been affected, your gardens any worse for the weather or bonus growth?

Ann, almost like a graduating process..I, who knows nothing about bells is quite impressed by the ability you must have...

Susan you would think they would let you know Friday so you don't fret all weekend...are you nervous about it?

BooHoo, my men will be leaving tomorrow..have enjoyed young blood in the house. Last night when I got home from work they were just leaving, going boating for a few hours..I left, went to Ann's for supper and t.v. bingo, got home 9:30, still no men, by 10pm and being a mother hen I started to worry if they were broken down and stranded on Georgian Bay..had Mike's cel so called and told them they were past their curfew and homeward bound they should be..then laughed, told them I didn't want to go to bed not knowing that they were safe..they were appreciative..got home shortly after and they b.b.q.'d ..not sure what time they went to bed..

Having them stay has been a positive experience! Now to spend my easy made $$$ on garden hangers and plants..lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8601822

Betty - don't forget, I'm holding the stick more often than not. My actual bell ringing ability is modest, but I have an edge over some in that I read the music fluently.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8602026

I have no doubt that your musical ability is highly respected! I would give anything to play an instrument, ie. Guitar or piano and to sing even off key would bring me the biggest joy!

Well my guys have gone to take the boat out of the water as it's much too rough to go out, paid me and said they'd be leaving mid afternoon

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 1, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8602283

Betty, if you have the wind we have, then for SURE nobody is going to want to be boating .. treacherous to say the least.

I sang in a 'Choral Group', actually being schooled in a Catholic School it was a pre requisite to 'be in the choir' .. and ya know what .. never regretted a moment of it .. I can still remember some of the songs we learned and sang .. must look up 'Flow Gently Sweet Afton' on YouTube.

In high gear with house work and yard work pending the visit of Lorna's parents .. trying to get menus lined up ..

It's after 7pm .. time to run the dishwasher ...

Toodles

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 1, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8602468

Odd weather here today and apparently the next few- cloudy, cooler, sun off and on, supposed to be showers off and on. Sky in the west is dark, just heard some thunder.

With help from a neighbor put together the first part of a little watering system to run thru the beds against the house that are not part of my underground system. Unfortunately the water pressure is such that the last 2 sprinklers dont work very well but I can deal with that!

I have another section to put together going in the other direction but I can do that one myself.I do need to get some different sprinkler heads for a couple of narrow sections so that requires a trip to Lee Valley! It is not difficult but nice to have somebody who has done it at the beginning. Now I wont have to hand water those beds.

I still have one bed out in the back that I have to hand water but no reasonable way to run a system out there.

Fred ( the neighbor) brought his little yorkie ( Dudley) with him. Dudley has met me and the dogs many times but he was a bit intimidated by the big back yard and those big dogs sniffing him!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 2, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8605466

Betty - no, they won't tell me before the weekend - they're all off to Red Deer for meetings all day.
I have my "regular" meeting with one of them on Monday am, so maybe I'll hear then.
If it were today, I don't think they would be very happy. I think one of 'em is suffering from PMS... :-(
She wasn't talking to many people today - kept in her office with the door shut, and only came out to go to the Retirement Tea we had for 2 ladies.
If I do say so myself, I organized a pretty nice Tea - brought my antique tea cups and a couple of tea pots.
It was a Potluck as well, and there was a huge amount of food!!!
as of today I am going on a pretty strict diet - need to lose a whole Whack of weight. Will have to pull out my stair climber... maybe 40lbs by end of the summer?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8605781

Jeeze Susan .. 40lbs by summer's END!! Whoa .. sounds kinda dangerous to me .. course, since our 'summer' here is only 2 months long, that's probably why.
Wish you all the best, it's tough.

Seem to be smack in the middle of a NEW SEASON here .. calling in 'RINGSUM' .. not unlike Chinese 'DIM SUM' .. a massed variety of types of weatherSpring and Summer weather, cool temps, rain, cloud, spritzed with some moments of glorious sunshine .. I think some of my Nastutium seeds might be poking through, or, it could be weeds ..

Busy days here in preparation for the visitors .. frazzled nerves on my part as I get on my Betty Crocker hat and try to think up meals .. any suggestions humbly accepted :-)

Take care everyone TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 3, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8605895

Morning, sunshine day here, in fact was such a pretty morning after walking in the gardens that I had tunes playing in the car, toe tapping, singing off key..life is grand is it not?

Busy weekend as usual, after work I shall stop in the nursery and purchase all the flowers I need for 1 topsyturvey pots, garden pots, deck planters etc. then will edge more of the gardens until the bugs come out..did learn a lesson, no working when they need to be fed, forehead still infected!!!

Tomorrow I'm off at 7am to visit mom at her cottage..taking Cathy along as mom wants to pay her for a days work out in the gardens while I on the other hand will try to install her pond...am sure by the time I get home I'll be exhausted and will need to rest as Kyle's 3rd Cure for Cancer Bike-a-thon is Sunday at 11am... soooo nother weekend that I'll be pleased to come to work for a rest Monday morning..

"M", I sure am NOT the lady to be helping you out with possible meal suggestion, either I forget half the ingredients or I burn everything..glad the 3 men staying with me said they'd do all their cooking..do you think it's common knowledge in town and someone told them about my cooking ability?? No worrying, they keep visiting so you must be doing something right!

Carol, two of the men who were at the house come from Calgary and they were saying how strange the weather has been this season..let's hope it improves..lordy, you've almost got all your
to do's done, what will fill in your days now??? make a new list..lol
Do miss not having a LeeValley in our area..was nice with them being just a block away from our Toronto office.

Susan, it will be a long weekend waiting for the final outcome at work..will be saying prayers that when you do meet on Monday they'll have glowing reports on your ability and up your salary!!! Your tea does sound enjoyable..can't get any better than antique cups..makes one feel like a grand lady!

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8606480

Marilynn I know that Carol (fancyvan) has some really good receipes with chicken thigh's. Had it at her house a few years ago and it seemed like she just whipped it up and put it in the oven then visited till it was done. I think it had cream soup ...chicken... and it was done, LOL Maybe Carol can enlighten you.
I love to do the crock pot thing and just found out that you don't have to cover your roast with water! Just put 1/2 cup liquid in bottom and flavorings like spices and leave on. At the end of the day the roast is done and some juices are in the bottom for gravey. Very tender meat!
You will think of something I know not too much stops you anywhere including the kitche.
Susan, I will keep everything crossed for Monday and the end of PMS. Summer has come and gone so you are hooped on the 40 lbs, LOL.

We are supposed to have FROST or snow tonight. Some of the folks I know lost plants a couple of nights as go as it seems to hit here and there. My G house still has my stuff in it , I started to do my planters but now will have to get them into protection for the night.
Overcast and rainy here and the temp is dropping like crazy we do need the rain but not the cold.

Supposded to go down to 8 or 9 this afternoon.
Will be a chilly weekend to garden.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 3, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8606707

Alberta Ann, say it isn't so...frost/snow, how can that be in June...surely that is not the norm..from listening to you westerners NOT moving west lol, shaking my head no!! Can't even imagine you having to worry about weather other than rain at this time of year!

You are very lucky to have the greenhouse...

Stopped into Springwater nursery on my way home..doesn't take long to spend $$$ does it..other than 4 more hangers and flowers for 2 large pots and another topsy-turvy pots I'm done..

Going to do work at moms tomorrow, mostly gardening, she wants to clear out a lot of her perennials, just maybe I'll be coming home with a carload...always room for yet another garden. Lol

Still eRly but with all the late nights and changes in my schedule this past week think it wil be an early night!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8606806

Marilyn I think this is the one Ann is talking abut- got it from my DB.
I make this for myself and freeze it in portions of two thighs each .

BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE

1 Box Uncle Bens long grain and wild rice (4 servings)
2 Tbsp butter
4 chicken breast halves ( I use 8 chicken thighs)
¼ pkg onion soup mix
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup sweet pepper (any color!) ( cut in ½ inch cubes or strips)
1 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can of water

Place rice in 9x13 pan stir together, dot with butter.

Arrange chicken on top, sprinkle with soup mix

Arrange mushrooms and sweet pepper on top.

Option: add sliced onions on top of pepper and mushrooms

Blend soup and water, heat and pour over all

Seal pan with foil, bake at 350.for 50 mins, remove foil and bake uncovered another 10 mins.

Enjoy.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8606807

Here's another nice one:

CHICKEN WITH PEACH JAM

6-9 CHICKEN PIECES (BONELESS, SKINLESS BREAST OR THIGHS)
1.2 CUP FLOUR
1.2 TSP EACH SALT AND PAPRIKA
¼ TSP PEPPER
OIL FOR FRYING

SAUCE
8 OUNCE JAR PEACH JAM
½ CUP CHOPPED ONION
½ CUP BARBECUE SAUCE
1 TBSP SOY SAUCE

1 MEDIUM GREEN PEPPER CUT INTO STRIPS.

PREPARATION

HEAT OVEN TO 350. IT USING GLASS BAKER REDUCE HEAT BY 15F

COAT CHICKEN IN MIX OF FLOUR, SALT, PAPRIKA AND PEPPER.
HEAT OIL IN LARGE SKILLET
BROWN CHICKEN ON BOTH SIDES

COMBINE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
ARRANGE CHICKEN IN 9X13 PAN
POUR SAUCE OVER TOP
BAKE,UNCOVERED 40 MINUTES OR UNTIL CHICKEN COOKED

ADD GREEN PEPPER STRIPS ON TOP, BAKE ANOTHER 5-10 MINUTES
IF USING BREASTS DECREASE BAKE TIME TO 25 MINUTES
AND TOP WITH PEPPER FOR A FURTHER 10 MINUTES

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8606814

Thought my first post with recipes disappeared but guess it was just slow to load

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 4:44 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 3, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8606836

Carol ... thanks SO much, I will likely try both recipes as chicken is a real favourite !!
We do intend to go out a few times as well .. so .. that'll take the edge off having to cook :-)

Betty .. here's hoping your Mom has some nice perennials .. I did manage to re locate most of my Rudbeckia .. plus Delphinium and Phlox .. but .. like Alberta Ann .. we are having such cool weather .. annuals are going to be slow in coming along ..

Dogs are antsie, best go and see what's got them ruffed up !!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 4, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8609575

no, Betty - it is so... Summer is supposed to be hot here, but have lost plants to frost already. May have lost my hibiscus and the two brugmansias I was given... thought because we were having +20c weather that we were "good", however even in summer we can have pretty chilly nights.

Ann - it may seem like summer's gone, and yes we're expecting a possible freeze again tonight, but... well, I'd better just cover my plants is all...

yummy, Carol - I want to try both those recipes - we love chicken here (well, maybe mostly me, but because I do the cooking, I get to choose LOL) I just Know that Bob will love the Peach-y chicken dinner :-)

Spent the day indoors, then went to neighbour's for dinner, then Bob decided to pull out the shears and cut some dead branches off our lilac. Yard's looking pretty good! Better than last year. We didn't even get a spring, and a short summer. Looks like it will be better this year though!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 4, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8609585

oh - should let you know... Carol - remember when I came to the RU in Calgary, and Inanda (when she lived in Winnipeg) brought some irises? I think it was 3 years ago... anyway, they're finally blooming! Dark, dark, dark purple... so beautiful... but for some reason they are very short. Anyway, I'm thrilled. I've never grown irises (my mom used to grow the yellow/brown ones), so this was wonderful to see them bloom!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 5, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8610922

Afternoon all, what a weekend, worked most of yesterday in the rain cleaning mom's gardens at her cottage and today was kyle's bike-a-thon he does every year for cancer fundraiser..I now am on the couch, covered with my blanket, tired and chilled, not the weather making me cold as it's a sunshine day..guess being tired does that!

Susan, not good about losing some of your pretties..lost a few shrubs and one tree..harsh winter did them in!

Has Bob been able to fill in his days since he's been off work? The part about him having more time to help in the gardens would be a plus! Thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you meet with executive staff re the end of probation period..may you have raving reviews..

"m" only brought home 7 hosta's that grew around her fire pit..have same but they'll be fine as border fillers..

Carol, saved those recipe's as well..don't cook much but always nice having a different recipe to make..I'm a chicken eater as well

Alberta Ann, did you get the snow they werecalling for?? Think I'm going tp key in Alaska weather for fun and see if they maybe are getting the sunshine

Watching trees sway, perhaps it's not me and is cooling, best I turn on the furnace..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8612167

Sitting watching the rain fall and listening to the furnace run ... must be NorthWestern Ontario as yesterday we had the AIR on !!
Lorna's folks arrived on a glorious day, marred only by .. MOSQUITOES .. !!! Lordie .. we were siting outside watching the birds at the feeders and we lasted MAYBE half an hour before the mosquitoes chased us inside, with a few tagging along into the house just to make things more interesting ...
Did get some geraniums planted and some tomato plants as well .. but, today looks like a stay inside typa day.

Best get on some rain gear and walk on down for the paper with the dogs .. will take the 'golf umbrella' to try an keep us ALL covered ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8612398

Sunshine day in my neighborhood "M"..bet you didn't want to hear that did you!! I don't want to say that we've NO mosquito's because I have encountered a few but not bad..this year now having the back porch screened in it should make sitting out after supper enjoyable..rain or shine!

the wind has been up more than usual..have 2 stained glass pieces on back deck, one needs repair due to knocking on the wooden frame so this morning I stopped into the hardware store and got 'L' brackets which should eliminate more banging, should have done it as soon as I hung them. Bought some time release miracle grow so tonight I'll scatter amongst the plants, not that the greenery part of the gardens aren't spectacular but it may help flowering.

I'm sure the visit with Lorna's parents is going well and enjoying those home cooked meals.How do you spend your days with them if it's raining???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8612642

Well .. not 20 minutes after I posted .. the sun came out, and we are experiencing a beautiful day !!
Were it to rain we'd play cards .. Lorna's folks love a good game of cards .. and we know several games now, so, never a dull moment there.

De frocked my Bleeding Heart today .. because it got hit with the frost last week the flower bearing stems were down and covering up Asiatic Lilies .. can't have THAT !!

Hope the 'L brackets' work for ya .. the wind can surely cause lots of damage ..

Off to get lunch out ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8612649

Glad it cleared up "M"..I have no luck with bleeding heart but my neighbor has some gorgeous white ones...perhaps that's the answer, plant a few facing the same direction. My poor lillies "M" are once again destroyed by the lilly beatle that's about..lost all except one and I'm sure it's about to be din/din ..

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8613345

Snow was falling at the farm and at the airport , for those of you who remember Jag on June she gave me a snow report as she was leaving the farm. Some sweet potatoe vines were touched by frost in my yard so I had to cut off damaged bits. Most things that are tender have not left the G house. All my Tomatoes and most of my Coleus are still in there and being protected at night with heat mats and a heater.
I just have to remind myself to be patient , summer will come I just hope I'm awake for it or I may miss it!

Sunday was a lot nicer with a 19 degree day so I was able to do some clean up in the yard along with organizing my shed so finding things is easier.

Carol's chicken reciepe's are good ones and easy is always a good route for me.

My Hosta's are finnaly showing there heads so others should follow soon.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8613423

Learning so much about my country through you all, wish when I was in school I had found DG, might of gotten me better grades..just unbelievable that you don't get the spring and summer months such as we do..it's almost as though you are in eskimo territory, not quite, I'm teasing but I sure didn't realize how short your seasons are except of course winter..

Ann, you sure know how to keep busy!!

Susan, waiting anxiously for update on today's meeting!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8613729

Guess what showed up as we were eating lunch today .. we were INSIDE .. i can't believe I went out and took the pics, but, the bear was far away .. he has an injured back paw/leg :-(
He hung around for about an hour ... must be careful going out back in the evening and early morning ..

3 pics ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8613730

Number 2 ...

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 6, 2011

Post #8613737

Last one

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8613929

Wow "M" can be very dangerous with him being injured..if he stayed for an hour then I would imagine he's taken a liking to your place..be watchful..do bears go after dogs?? And yes, you were brave go out to take a photo!

What did your visitors have to say. Lol?

While looking at photo's I'm eyeing rhubbarb leaves...need a few more cement rhubbarb lavers..your leaves look very large, it's just reminded me that if I don't get them done soon I'll miss out this year.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8613967

Betty - no meeting today - postponed until tomorrow, but I think this is a non-event.
Nothing's being said about my getting a performance appraisal, and nothing's being said about extending the probation.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8614576

It's called 'Elephant Ear Rhubarb' and several people have come for the leaves over the years .. have made a couple of pies this year, just want enough to make a coffeecake.

Re the bear .. I kept the dogs in. as you open our back door you are in their compound .. it's a 4 foot high fence, but am sure Mr Bear could get over it if he wanted to .. caution is the word of the day now ..
When I spoke to the
Bear Tech' on the Bear Hotline, he said the bear would likely be MORE cautious of humans as he was injured and at a disadvantage ..

Susan .. good luck today ..

I should try to get some sleep, I'm tired, but, my shoulders are wide awake !!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8615022

Never heard of rhubbarb elephant ears "M"..what I wouldn't give for a few of those leaves!!!

Bear might be more cautious of humans but I sure wouldn't want to put it to the test...

Susan, best of luck today..they always say no news is good news but I personally would rather know the outcome rather than wonder...

Going to be a hot one today and more so tomorrow...thank goodness I bought that portable A/C unit last Thursday..trying it out..

Was up early this morning and watered the gardens, gave nutrition to the hanging baskets..so would have loved to stay home..this afternoon after work I get a perm, later t.v. Bingo with Ann, so won't even have the evening to sit out. Mosquito's and black flies will miss me..

You know, my forehead is still infected, whatever feasted on me sure had an effect!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8615829

Betty... TO THE DOC you should go! That is too close to your eyes and brain!

nice Bear "M"

Susan, I don't think employers realize how stressful it is waiting for a review! Hope you have your Non issue review soon.

We had a lovely rain last night was 9 mm's all plants are still in the g house till this weekend. I think it's the latest I have ever been.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8615873

Alberta Ann, lets hope this week your greenhouse shall be bare and gardens filled with flowers.

Hot and muggy here today, thank goodness they repaired the a/c here at the office.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 7, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8616488

Just lurking here lately not much exciting going on.
My new computer had a few little issues so Ian came over on Sat and sorted them out. Now I have Windows7 his computer and mine are compatable so he can deal with problems from home which is nice.
Did a shift at Lougheed House on Sunday but only had one tour, other people visiting but wanted to do self guided.
Weather on the weekend was quite nice but not so nice now- cloudy with intermittant showers. At least my grass got cut today. But it is possible to get out and work in the y ard.

On Saturday I had a chance to talk with the adult children of the lady who lived across the street from me - she is in a seniors residence ( Alzheimers) and the house has been sold to a developer so I asked if there were any nice plants. She told me to go look and take what I wanted so I was digging peonies and irises - the peonies about 60 years old. I ended up with 16 pots ( not including the one I kept) and have been busy passing them on.

Yesterday Joan( one of our foster moms) brought foster Buddy over to stay for a week while they are away. In a wierd happening we have actually been contacted by the daughter of the original owner of Buddy ( previously Bunny) so we have learnt his early history.

Saw the oncologist this morning and relieved to hear my hip X-ray and bone scan are fine . I see in the report however there is a note about a couple of possible spinal issues( I have a scoliosis) and so I am wondering if that is also what is causing the hip pain. Since it has nothing to do with the cancer I will go back to my GP and discuss.

Ann I hope you can finally get those plants out!

Betty get thee to the doctor!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 6:41 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 8, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8617416

Carol, you must be so relieved that the outcome wasn't 'cancer ' non-the-less, still very painful for you, let's hope meds help ease the pain.

I'm extremely excited Carol, for the very first year (planted about 3 or 4 years ago) are peonies that are flowering in my garden, med. pink tone, kept moving them around as they were doing nothing, finally they've settled in and like their new parcel of land..lol..I'll take a photo when they are open.

What color were you able to get..there are white ones right?

Wonderful that you have more medical information on Buddy..you never cease to amaze me, always taking in dogs for various reasons..so caring!

Weatherman on radio was saying a high heat alert is on and that we may break the past record of high temps of 1950..so glad the a/c seems to be working today or we'd not be able to endure it...maybe not such a good thing as we could ask to go home..lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8618192

Betty, Lorna's parents are SO happy they came here at this time due to the heat back east .. I'd have to bail if there was NO air conditioning ..

Great news Carol .. sure hope your hip pain isn't too unbearable .. have a friend who wants me to try some 'alternative treatments' for my shoulders, I'm such a 'traditionalist' though I don't think it'd be for me ..

Busy, busy here .. did get some gardening in earlier today ... it's only in the 60s here .. umm .. 15C ...

Off I go

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 8, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8618262

Think we may break a record today..storm blew in about an hour ago, thought we were in for it, but, moved on past us...yes "M" good week for Lorna's parents to be away..picked up a section of a liner to work on a river type drop into another pond, thought I might play tonight with it but think I shall pass!

Susan, any news on your interview?? You've been in my thoughts, please post outcome when able..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8618395

Betty the only color you won't see in a peony is Blue and I am sure somebody is working on that one!

One of the peony's I dug is red, the others- no idea except there were red/pink and white in the back yard says daughter!

I have an appoint. to see my G P tomorrow to discuss the hip pain issue since it is not cancer related

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 8, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8618525

Wow, talk about a severe storm, Rogers cable is down, not quite sure why my iPad is working?? Poor Sailor girl is frantic, keeps this up so shall I be!

Be safe everyone...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8618756

Have watched the weather channel off and on .. sure some bad weather down your way Betty .. feel bad for Sailor and YOU!!

I am off to bed .. busy day and another one tomorrow ..

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 8, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8619106

Carol
That is good news, was worried for you with not having you post and am thrilled it was computer stuff!
M hope your weather settles, a good thunder storm is amazing but you tire of the blowing and noise after a while and I know how hard it is on the furries.
Betty, hot! and we are not!
Here is my front yard, this is the latest it has been since I can remember. This is usually an April photo not a June one.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 8, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8619143

Carol - such good news for you - I'm really happy for you!!!

My news isn't so good - I lost my job today "No cause" they said, but it ended at noon.
I was physically sick all afternoon, then went to bed and had leg cramps. My body going through the shock I guess.
Now both of us are unemployed.
Good thing is, the company waited until my probation was over then they gave me severance for 6 weeks pay. Guess they thought enough of me to do that. All they had to give was no notice before the probation was up, and only 2 weeks severance after probation up.
I also have free job counseling, etc. for 1 month and some other stuff I haven't looked thoroughly enough at. Will do that when my brain settles down.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 9, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8619434

Susan, I'm just sick about your news..Omg you worked so hard and fit in perfectly...what's wrong with those people..£€>¥¥£>|... can't even think of words to express how badly I feel for you.

You and Bob certainly have more than your share od trouble..you are bound to go through different phases of shock...Lordy Susan, just don't know what to say...sending you hugs and prayers!

Alberta Ann, no flowers but sure love your landscaping design

storms were really bad last night..lightening hit my cable box, easily fixed, get another..not sure about the upstairs t.v.? Lots of tree branch debris but that's so minor in the scheme of things.

Overcast this morning, not sure what the weather will bring!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8619448

Betty - thanks for the &*O&#@HDF words LOL
You're precious, y'know lol I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers right now.

I was speaking to a friend of mine (she runs a catering service and I met her through the company I worked at). She says not only will she spread my resume around, but she's thinking she could temporarily use my services as an experienced office person, to help make her business more efficient and visible.
She only has word of mouth right now, and it's only her delivering, so it's a tiny business. And it's only her and her sister making the food (her sister is disabled, and apparently not much help -is not knowledgeable about invoices, etc). Who knows - if her business expands, she may be able to hire someone to do deliveries too! This would only be a stop-gap measure as Jackie can't pay much anyway.

BUT I've sent on my resume to her, so we'll see what she comes up with, considering the # of companies she visits each day. One of them has employed her son and a friend of hers, so ya never know!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 9, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8619465

You are up early Susan, imagine that you didn't get much sleep last night..lots of tossing/turning. Although the catering business your friend has might offer $$$$ it would be a help to keep you busy...you so remind me of my niece, nicest of nicest person you could ever meet, tries to do her best, but if anything is to go wrong, it will happen to her...she's always having to spend her energy being positive about the future! Not sure how you both do it!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 9, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8619832

OMG Susan how awful! Keep your chin up and I KNOW that an opportunity will arrive at your doorstep!.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 9, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8620556

Sorry to hear your news Susan, hope something else comes up soon for both you and for Bob.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8620720

Carol - a friend of mine (neighbour) has taken in a Sheltie and I was telling her about your Sheltie rescue work - she wanted to know if I could pass on your ph# to her - I said I'd ask. She may be interested in taking in another Sheltie. She took in "Angel" and she's getting over being timid.
Or is there a general phone # for Sheltie Rescue here in Calgary?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 9, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8620804

Holy Cow Susan .. now THAT kinda news can sure take the wind out of your sails !!!
Feel awful for you, but, I also am confident you will find employment quickly ..

Alberta Ann .. just a lovely pic, and, as Betty says the landscaping is beautiful.

Another dinner done .. tomorrow we are off for a ride to the border as i have a parcel to pick up on the American side, will leave Lorna's folks on the Canadian side as neither have a passport. It'll take me 15 minutes MAX to crossover and go to the post office and come back .. then we'll go for lunch in the city.

Still up numerous times during the night .. sometimes wonder where my energy is coming from ?

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8620837

I just spoke to Betty and got some wonderful advice which I will follow up on, and hopefully it will get us some tax relief!!!!! Thank you, Betty!!

When you get quality qualified advice, it sure is a ton of relief and I feel much, much better. So does Bob!! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 9, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8620846

Yikes, let A/C on today, wasn't the best idea, could almost turn on the heat!! What a difference a day makes re temps.

Returned my Rogers Cable box after work as it was zapped in the storm last night..couldn't believe the size of the new one..very micro.glad I've got tv again

"m" amazing, you say 15 minutes to cross the border?? I should cross over in your neck of the woods...as for your drive to the border how long does it take?

Funny how our body and mind refuses to close down from time to time..makes for a long night.

Guess Lorna's parents will soon be on their way home??

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 9, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8620850

Pleasure speaking with you as well Susan..you've been in my thoughts today..overwhelmed when friends are having such a hard go of it...

Don't be too appreciative of the advice, best wait until you get some positive feed back, I'll be praying that to or row you finally get some good news...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8620872

Susan - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Will certainly keep you in my Ts and Ps and hope that something comes along for you.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 9, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8620900

Susan :She can contact us by email at albertasheltierescue@yahoo.ca.
( We don't publish our phone numbers or give them out unless people don't have email or we have already had an email contact)

Well my GP thinks the hip thing is a soft tissue injury so is sending me to see a physio - appointment is on Monday. In the meantime she has given me a prescription for Tylenol 3's since that seemed to help with the pain.

All the peonies are spoken for and most picked up. I planted mine this morning. Went and bought 2 new clematis this morning - I have had several that have no sign of life , some are charging along and some are just barely out of the ground.

Bailey and Abby were groomed yesterday, first time since Feb so they look pretty good. I will take Sassy next week- we have a groomer who does the foster dogs free - and Buddy needs to go too as we hope to have him adopted soon so he needs to be tided up!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8621316

Thanks Carol - I'll pass the info on to Gerry - she's thinking of adopting another Sheltie.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8621412

Holy cow! Miss a while and it's so hard to catch up. But worth it to see how you all are doing.

Fancy, so glad your hip problem is not as serious as you feared.

Susan, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. There's a right place for everyone, and you can find yours. Your hubby too.

Marilynne - are you sure that wasn't just one of those Thunder Bay mosquitoes I've heard about in your backyard? What an interesting experience that must have been. The best I get here is coons tipping over my garbage cans.

And Teresa - what beautiful flowers! I'm not sure we're going to have any here this year. That poppy - does it have seeds you can bake with like the regular poppies do? It's really beautiful.

And Viola Anne - what great bells! That must be so much fun. Me, I'd love to learn to play the marimba, but don't know if I could afford an instrument, and then don't quite know where I'd put it, but keep hoping it'll all come together one of these days.

Rain and more rain here - cold most days then the occasional hot day. Terrible storms here yesterday evening, lots of power outages, trees down and rain so bad that people had to pull off the road cause they couldn't see - and in my small neighbourhood, not even a drop of rain. Just so weird - I've never seen anything like it. It has been getting warmer occasionally and quite hot yesterday so I planted my tomatoes out finally and they were really pot-bound so not happy campers right now - and it's jacket-cold again tonight and I don't think that will help. Planted my broccoli and lettuce a few weeks ago and so cold and so rainy they haven't grown even one inch!! Lots and lots of blossoms on the strawberry plants on the roof garden though - hope it gets warm enough that they fruit out properly.

I finally got my project that I started after my visit to Kenya in 2009 on-line. It's been a struggle with the first group breaking down due to in-fighting, and me so far away, can't mediate, but another group came forward to take over, young people and they're doing a bang-up job. And of course I had problems making the site as I hadn't done any HTML since about 1998, and not anything since and so much has changed that I mucked up several times trying updated and newer things. So, keep your fingers crossed for us - they really need this. http://tribaltravel.info/

Betty, if you run a B&B, maybe I'll take it into my mind to escape the city one weekend and spend an overnight in your neck of the woods. Don't think I've been up that way.

Anyway, way past time for bed, but wanted to check in as I've been away for far too long

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 9, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8621466

yes, a place for everyone. To be truthful, I'm rather glad I'm not working there anymore. I was working my heart out and not getting much respect. It would have been nicer if there were more people my age in the company...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 10, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8621680

Nice to hear from you Cybercrone, I looked over the site and enjoyed the music. Not something I think I could do, but I certainly applaud you for your efforts. I have a dear freind in Etobicoke who visits countries hard done by and provides bedding for children, she loves doing it.

Susan .. are you eligible for EI ?

Well .. it was SUPPOSED to be sunny here today, but, OOPSIE , seems we are going to get rained on .. still going to the border though, my package has been there long enough.

Going to try and get a picture of this critter, but, I have to tell ya .. we have one HONKIN big squirrel under the bird feeder!! At first I thought it was a Ground Hog !! But, I kept watching, and it's a grey/red squirrel .. chases all the other smaller squirrels away (NOT a bad thing)

TGIF :-)

~M~
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8621820

@Marilynne: Have you seen the video on-line of the bear going "hand-over-hand" across a wire strung up to hang a bird-feeder and then eating all the seed? It's really amazing since you would never believe that a bear could travel on something so small.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8622239

yes, Marilyn, I'm eligible for EI. Just have to wait for all my pay-outs to finish.
I finished my app for EI, and they're continuing it from my previous app (which ended in Dec) and I suppose this will increase the length of time I can use EI.
Will have to see.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 10, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8622772

Susan .. good to hear you can collect EI. Service Canada has lots of 'services' available to help folks secure alternate employment.

Went to the border and picked up a parcel today and Lorna's parents were treated to the sight of a fairly large Bull Moose running along side the road on our way back .. course my cell phone was out of reach to take a picture .. just happy he was running BESIDE the car and not dashing out in front of it !!!
All we need to see now is a Cougar .. they do exist around these parts, but I'd rather I see a bear/Moose or deer as opposed to a Cougar thanks !!

Heard on our local news that TBay is one of the cooler cities in Canada today .. not as cool as Baker Lake .. they had SNOW FLURRIES yesterday !!!!

Busy weekend on the way .. best rest up !!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2011

Post #8622855

Right now I'm angry at the company:
1. they were to courier items to me from my old desk, and part of them is a live fish, a couple of plants, and a vase of flowers. As it's 6:00pm, do you think the fish will survive? At 3pm I was told the courier had the box of my stuff, and I don't know how long he had them then... doesn't look good for my fishy...
2. a secretary from the department called me at home to find out about some files. I emailed the HR advisor and told her "This is a privacy breach - I didn't give her my home #, nor did I authorize the distribution of it. I feel uncomfortable being asked about files for a job I no longer hold!"
she emailed back, said she understood, passed this on to the boss, and said she'd follow up on it! I hope so!!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8623085

@Susan: I'm sorry to hear that they seem to be treating your belongings so cavalierly - and I'd be really pi**ed if my company gave out my home phone number too. Hope things are going to get better from now on.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 10, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8623192

well, I'm sure by now that the fish is deceased, but I'll be able to get another.

here's something funny - I was just talking to a fellow that was my co-worker, and the one who got me the fish. He said they put plastic wrap around it, and then stuck a straw in, to allow for air! Isn't that the funniest, stupidest thing, when I could have picked it up as I'm only 10 min from the office?!?!?!
Now, it's been sitting like that for awhile, and can't be fed. Siamese Fighting Fish don't need to be fed every day, but certainly every 3 days. How long before I get the fish? Monday, perhaps... it's been packed since Thursday...!!!!!!

how foolish...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 12, 2011

Post #8625140

Susan, I have to say, that if the company you worked for can treat a fish that inhumanely, your better off making that company a memory.
I really do feel awful for you.

Down to a week left in the visit. All has gone well, and this week will be a flurry of activity as we wind down. Elderly aunties will take centre stage tomorrow as we bring them lunch and spend the afternoon. Short trips from the city have yet to be taken to view wildlife areas .. mind you .. we've already seen quite a bit without even having to seek it out !

Tuesday, at sometime, I have a technician coming to see what's wrong with my dishwasher :-( seems it doesn't want to discharge ALL the water after the cycle .. sure hope it can be a morning appt !!

TBay is having wonderful weather ... cool cool mornings though and the mosquito/black fly war continues.

Off to make a cheese cake .. big supper tonight ...

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 12, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8625453

Morning all, busy weekend having the entire family over..wedding celebration Friday night, day of fun yesterday, so much so 3 of the boys still getting their beauty sleep!

Weather isn't the best, wind is up and rain is in the air ..been working on a 2nd pond, got it dug however ran across a problem, dug right where the old septic system is and now have to cut the plastic line..now wondering if it's part of municipal line, wouldn't that be something cutting it and finding out it is the one I presently am using

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8626163

Marilyn - thank you - I'm feeling like a huge burden has been lifted since I left (except for the anger about the incompetence with my stuff - fish included). I appreciate the thought from you.

Bob's out back, standing on our biggest shed, pruning the cottonwood tree that's growing from our neighbour's yard with branches way over our yard. It's sending fluffies around - looks like snow, for pete's sake!!

I would take pics of my garden, but my camera is one of the things I'm waiting for from the courier!

My indigo bush is starting to leaf out - it's a very slow growing bush - the rest of the trees are in full summertime leaf. The bush is only 4 years old here, and it's going to take awhile before it flowers, f'sure!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8626298

Man, it was so cold again here today everyone was wearing jackets.

When summer does come it will probably try to make up for lost time all at once and we'll be dying of heat. I don't know if there's anyplace left that's getting "normal" weather. *sigh*
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 13, 2011

Post #8628334

Well the Tylenol 3 apparently was not such a good idea ( although it worked before)-took 2 on Friday morning and within an hour was dizzy,nauseous and just wanted to lie down but couldnt because somebody was coming to pick up peony roots. Anyways after she left I slept for almost 3 hours! OK after that but tired and not very ambitious, did not even walk the dogs!

Handyman called to say would do shed floor on Sat so i had to clear out the shed contents!

Sat am was pouring rain and I was supposed to meet Joanna ( banana) at her workplace to pick up some baskets- a drive of about 45 minutes. You can be sure I did not take any Tylenol! But the rain cleared as I left town so that worked out ok. Came back with 3 lovely huge baskets of mixed color Calibrachoa(Million Bells) and as I got home Tom the handman arrived!

He did the shed floor but I it was raining a lot so I did not reorganise until later - sure looks nice. I finished on Sunday which was a nice day.

However Sunday morning I decided to try 1 Tylenol and that was a mistake- not so bad as before but still not good! So I called off my shift at Lougheed House and just lay around and eventually finished up the shed.

It has rained, occasionally poured off and on pretty much every day lately.

This morning I went to the physio and she agrees the hip pain is either muscle or related to my sorry spinal cord. So I had heat with electrical stimulation and accupuncture and have had a really good day since, put on heat this afternoon - no idea why I did not try that weeks ago!- and I sat and read and then napped and got up without a lot of pain or needing to hang onto something. Back for another session on Friday and probably again next week.

Here is a pic of my clematis fence today - there are 4 different plants, purple, blue, and two different pinks.The pinks were planted later so they are all down at one end.
One of these days I will cut down most of thepurple and blue and then maybe add another pink at the other end. They will grow up again - I prune the blue ones severely every year when they finish flowering.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8628402

Carol - are you possibly allergic to Tylenol 3? It can be awfully hard on your stomach.
Glad your shed floor has been finished.
Probably didn't use heat on your back because we're always told to use cold to lessen the irritation/swelling, and only use heat to relax the muscles?!
Bob had his hip worked on by a great chiropractor! It was his sciatica and it's great, after 2 visits!!!
It's Associate Chiro @ Center St and 10th Ave NE.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 13, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8628622

No I think the reason I did not think to try heat was because I was focused on the possibility it was evidence of a metastisize to the bone.

Yeh I have had chiro. done on my back a few times, especially after radiation treatment and I too have a good one! I love it when he puts me on the what I call the rack - which stretches and releases alternately- feels great when done.

I have a pretty wonky spine and it gets gradually worse- my height has already decreased by about an inch and a half. .And I have one leg shorter than the other so that creates problems too!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 14, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8629422

Carol, here is hoping this day is not only filled with sunshine but with good health!! Nice to get projects done isn't it? I've been making a list of things that need done and was so sure I was on top of things but seems I was wrong..

Love your clematis, I envy all who can grow such beautiful vines noticed though at the front of my house although skimpy one is trying to make something of itself..have 3 on side of house, almost string like, guess it would be too late to dig up and move to the front??

Susan, glad Bob got off the ladder without injuring himself!

Still hobbling, doubtful my little toe was broken, think just badly sprained..still painful though. With it being the right foot, my digging foot I won't be digging up and working on the pond...boohoo..wanted it done and operational by the weekend, not going to happen!! Time is limited seeing it's father's day weekend..visit with step-father (bought an e-reader and had Jeff download with a zillion cowboy books) he will be at the cottage, 1 hour drive away...hoping to do that visit on Friday...then Saturday early morning drive to Toronto to the rose greenhouse, as many of my cousins live out of town I put roses on my dad, grandfather and uncles graves on their behalf and mine of course...then another trip to where Roger is buried to put a wreath on his grave..then a trip to another town to put flowers on maternal grandfather's grave, there goes my weekend..I'm a strong believer in
looking after grave sites in honor of the dead...sure would be easier if all were hurried in same graveyard...none of the others feel any need to visit the dead...not sure where I got my need??

Hope you all get to play in the garden today...seeing flowers opening almost daily...worth a morning walk!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8629632

my goodness Carol - I, too, had a wonky spine (scoliosis) but a chiro in Winnipeg straightened that out nicely - was side-to-side and back-to-front twisted. Said I "s'ed" both ways, far more than should be. But - it's better now.
Today I hop over to them again because my lower back is sore. I need to use up all my Blue Cross benefits before the end of the month cuz that's when they end with the company. Glad I still have them until then - will work on my knee, neck and lower back :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 14, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8629677

I  think this is hilarious! I NEVER HEARD CREATION EXPLAINED THIS WAY BEFORE !!!
In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and
red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.
Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Krispy Creme Donuts. And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?" And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "and as long as you're at it, add some sprinkles." And they gained 10 pounds. And Satan smiled.
And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair. And Satan brought forth white flour from the
wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 6 to size 14.
So God said, "Try my fresh green salad." And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side.
And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.
God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them." And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and
chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof. God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food Cake," and said, "It is good." Satan then created chocolate cake and named it "Devil's Food."
God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose those extra pounds. And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.
Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition. And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the
starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And Man gained pounds.
God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite. And Satan created McDonald's and its
99-cent double cheeseburger. Then said, "You want fries with that?" And Man replied, "Yes! And super size them!" And Satan said, "It is good." And Man went into cardiac arrest.
God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.

Then Satan created Cuts to the Health Care System.

Amen

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8629779

LOL yeah, that's funny, Betty!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 14, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8630075

A Rednecks Observation of Canada (Canucks) as told by Jeff Foxworthy:

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there
You may live in Canada

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time,
You may live in Canada

If you've had a lengthly telephone conversation with someone who dialled the wrong number,
You may live in Canada

If "vacation" means going anywhere south of Detroit/buffalo for the weekend,
You may live in Canada

If you measure distance in hours,
You may live in Canada

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once,
You may live in Canada

If you have switched from "heat" to a/c in the same day and back again,
You may live in Canada

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but don't lock your doors,
You may live in Canada

If the speed limit on the highway is 80km per hour and you are going 100km per hour and everybody is passing you,
You may live in Canada

If you actually understand this list,
Then you definately are Canadian...

If you have more miles on your snowblower than your car,
You may live in Canada

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit,
You may live in Canada
If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them,

If you can drive 90 km/hr. through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching
You may live in Canada

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8630163

LOL too true, Betty.
Love the Jeff Foxworthy jokes - he's funny!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 14, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8630453

Look whos in the garden today!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 14, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8630457

And isn't this a pretty Iris!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 14, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8630461

And here is one of the lovely baskets I got on the weekend.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8630462

hahahaha looking very happy in the garden!
and yes, it is a very pretty iris!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8630465

oooooh million bells! I've always liked them!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 14, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8630468

Love the speckled look to it...

Omg, what a gorgeous photo..should enter into photo contest..your greenery looks so lush..

Did a walk around in my garden, can't believe how dry it looks..
Been digging a secondary pond and with earth all over yard doesn't look as inviting..hopefully my foot will be in shape enough to finish my project shortly...

Waiting on Ann to come for spaghetti dinner, best I go pay attention to cooking before I burn it...
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8630597

Got some gravel put down all along the space between the sidewalk and the fence on the weekend and was trying to figure out how I could grow some sweet peas along the fence.

I went to Home Dept and got a length of PVC pipe and cut it into 6 in (more or less) lengths. Cleared the gravel down to the newspaper, and punched the pipe through the newspaper, then stomped it a bit further down. Pushed the gravel back around it. Filled the pipe lengths with potting soil and planted my sweet pea seeds.

Has anyone ever done this? Did it work?

I'm wondering if I can keep it damp enough but not too damp inside the pipe until the plants get roots into the ground proper.

What are your thoughts ladies? (Besides the fact that gravel is really, really heavy!)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 14, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8630636

what a great idea!! Please let me know if this works!!!!!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 14, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8630646

WOW crone .. I must say you ARE an industrious lil gardener !! LOVE Sweet Peas .. the fragrance is hypnotic .. I have just planted the seeds along the fence and everything turned out okee dokee.
My Nasturtiums are up as are my Morning Glories and Sunflowers, no flowers, just the greenery.

Having company for 2 weeks has put a real dent in my gardening, that and the fact that the Bear is still in the area, so I don't wander too far from the house or garage ... the folks leave on Sunday, so, next week will be catch up for me.

Went for Chinese Food tonight at a Mandarin Buffet type restaurant .. gawd .. i can hardly move LOL ...
We were going to go to the Keg tomorrow, but, I think perhaps we'll hold off til Thursday.

ENjoyed the jokes Betty, and the pics Carol ..

Off to bed .. shoulders are pitchin a fit ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 14, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8630877

Crone, how creative you've been, am anxious to hear how it goes. did plant sweet peas but no growth..just not good with growing vines other than hops..bet your design would be so gorgeous if it did take!! Must be the nice weather getting you out..couldn't ask for a nicer day now could you!

Carol, love your hanging baskets..the ones I've seen locally aren't as nice..I'm hoping to drive the 1 1/2 hrs to orangeville maybe Friday to pick up 4' never saw such glorious hanging baskets but then you pay for them

"m" that's the problem with the all you can eat buffet, over indulge and pay for it. Two weeks having company is a long time when you are used to a schedule..my gardens are neededing weeding, should book a few vacation days and get it done!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 15, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8633446

My 'schedule' is right 'OUT THE WINDOW' .. but .. the days are dwindling down ..
Going to the Keg tonight, then Friday to a restaurant on the Lake shore .. Saturday will be a surprise celebration here for Lorna's parents 60th wedding anniversary .. it's in July, but we won't be going east for it ..

The weather has remained incredible .. even the mosquitoes seem to have 'bugged off' .. going to my brothers lake home today to snap pics of the Sleeping Giant .. then off to a wildlife area.

I am ups, as usual, will sleep sitting up for a bit, give my shoulders a break .. have all the animals gathered with me here .. they are quite used to this new nocturnal habit of mine.

I see the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup 4-0 .. lots of disappointed Vancouver Cannuck fans .. but .. 80% of the Bruins team is Canadian !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8633897

Morning..was going to say that "M" the trophy will spend more time in Canada than the USA because of players being Canadian..too bad it's that way, if you are a canadian player it should be mandatory you play on a Canadian Team, same goes for USA players..can you imagine all the hallaballoo that went on in Vancouver..it's only a hockey game for heaven sakes..makes my blood boil..

Sounds as though you are having a great time with Lorna's parents..they must be thrilled to see her improve with each visit.

Sorry you are still having shoulder problems..me thinks you are doing too much..

Look who is talking right..was out with sprained toe digging and setting up the secondary pond..much more work but the good news is sunshine all weekend..going to be doing all my graveyard runs before 6am just so I still have all day after the visits/travelling to and from..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8633936

Send some of that good news here please Betty -started raining late yesterday afternoon and still coming down- until tomorrow apparently. Dogs won't get walked today! Taking Sassy for a groom this morning and going out to a garden centre just east outside town while I wait to pick her up- probably take almost 2 hours.

Hip is still in pretty good shape - about 50% improvement, another physio visit tomorrow.
Heating pad getting a good workout.

Puttered around in the garden yesterday, some weeding, got a few plant leftovers in the ground or moved and dug up some seedlings to pot up for whoever wants them. Never seem to have much trouble giving away plants!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8633983

You've had your share of rain haven't you? Was listening to the radio this morning on my way to work and they were talking about the Calgary Stampede..drats, so wanted to see it one day, well maybe not see, thought i might find me a cowboy!!! lol

I would imagine it's very easy to rid yourself of plants, wish I lived closer!!! with a lot of the earth I dug from the pond I filled in an area behind the big frame I have sitting in the yard..soil means plant another garden right..

Glad to hear you are feeling better..takes time and if you are like me I've no time for healing, want to feel better today!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8634290

Betty come to Stampede any year! I can offer a bed and food!
And it is not too difficult to get from my place to the grounds by public transport.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8634300

Well thank you for the invite..maybe one year I will come!!! Not sure why I thought the stampede was in the fall vs. summer months??? hmmmm if it keeps raining they'll have one heck of a time won't they?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8634355

Dates this year July 8-17. 8th is Stampede Parade.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8634388

Only in a few weeks..do you attend or is it like every other community, they come in from all over the world and locals other than those who work to support the activities do not attend??? always looks so much fun on t.v...wasn't it last year that they had to put down a few horses? they were going to change the races?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8634405

Betty - The Stampede works closely with the Calgary Humane Society and the Alberta SPCA to ensure animals are treated well.
That being said, there were 4 horses that needed to be "put down" in the 2010 Stampede - one because of a misstep and it injured it's shoulder un-repairably, another had a heart attack, a third broke its back when it bucked again after throwing the rider, and another had an apparent heart attack and fell on the rider (who went to hospital with a broken shoulder blade and a serious head injury).
This was a very unusual year for this - these are certainly NOT common occurrences.
It was an very tragic year for everyone.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8634444

Know that it was accidental, I would think they've so many safe guards in place to prevent such tragedies but some are unforseen..one of these years I'll get my cowboy boots and rodeo shirts out and head your way..yikes, won't be driving.. - about 36 hrs. from home..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8634509

lol yes, we're "a fur piece" from you, Betty!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8634572

I have not gone for years- my mother used to like to come that week and go down and go thru all the exhibits but I dont bother. was there one morning last year working a shift at the Hort Society setup but not this year.

Oh lots of local folks go I'm sure. And lots use it as an excuse to go to parties all day and night and drink! Tends to be a noisy time.

It has rained all day. I took Sassy to be groomed and while waiting went out to Cobblestone Garden Centre. Bought myself one pretty little geranium and two
Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile). One is a dwarf type , the other full size. This is a South African plant ( bulb) and certainly not hardy here, needs to be in pots, and I have tried to grow it many times but never could get it to flower. Have never seen it in a garden centre before so I indulged myself and bought both sizes! A gentleman I got talking with at the cash said he has them and feeds them every two weeks to get to flower but also keeps them as basically indoor plants and puts them out on warm days so I guess it will be and in and out plant, not to be put in heavy pots!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8634638

try putting it on a platter with wheels, Carol - much less heavy, and if you add a small backing to the platter (wooden), and attach a rope to one end, you can even wheel it over the transitions between in and out without it falling off when you take it through the doorway.
that way you can put it in a heavier pot.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8634651

But then there are the steps!

I will just keep some pots for them in and out and pop them in wherever they need to be

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8634656

ah yes, the steps! Forgot about those. You don't have a very large area at the top of your steps, do you? wide enough to sit on, but that's all... so they couldn't stay there!.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8634805

The Geraniums are a wonderful colour Carol .. hope you can keep them blooming~

Attended the Stampede once .. it was actually quite warm in Calgary at the time, and, DUSTY ... had a good time though, you should fer sure 'bucket list' it Betty.

Supper at the Keg was yummy .. as always .. too much food !!! Came home with enough chicken to put into a tossed salad to make a meal tomorrow .. wonderful young lady for a server, have written head office to say how accomodating the staff were with Lorna and her crutches, and her Dad with a cane ..
Tomorrow we go to the Casino .. I don't gamble, but like to watch .. will have lunch on the waterfront ..
Haveta say, I am growing weary .. but am quite pleased the wee doggies and cat have been doing so well while left alone ..

The FAWNS are out, bounding around out back under the Does watchful eyes .. MUST be summer :-)

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8634887

Went out for dinner with a friend, picked up more supplies for the pond and then went and picked uo tombstone wreath for Roger's grave..costly celebrating with the dead!!

"m" on the news tonight a young 24 year old woman in Huntsville forgot her puppy in the car, windows up and hot as h@&ll for 3hrs. Guess I don't need to say what happened.

You'll be tired of eating out"M" and looking for a home cooked meal.

What a beautiful picture you paint re deers, nothing like looking T wildlife

What a gorgeous blue Carol...you sure have a green thumb!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8635278

Not my thumb Betty!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8635330

Carol - you most assuredly DO. Part of a green thumb is to work consistently to a goal, and keep trying until you find the plants that work in Your micro-climate.
You have a beautiful, and very interesting, yard, Carol. It's fascinating how much like a park it is. So many "rooms"!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8635339

I just meant the blue flowers in that pic!

Thanks Susan!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8635347

As I said when I was at your place before, you have a very calming garden - I could picture myself sitting having coffee there in the morning, and again at night under the stars... so peaceful and private.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 17, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8635655

Ohhh sounds like a garden I'd love to sit in..

Gloomy here today, hoping the sunshine decides to come out, they are calling for a perfect weekend but doesn't take long for them to chance the forecast.

Everything for the pond has now been purchased and sitting on back deck, now I need the energy to get at it..not sure why I thought I needed a secondary pond, losing it in my old age.

Time to get ready for work..short day, get off at 3:00. But hoping for a surprise call from Paul saying go home early..dreaming of course!

Gab after

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8636384

dream away, m'lady!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 17, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8636416

Looks as though I am dreaming susan, look at the time..lol

Still overcast and feels like a storm is brewing..maybe the rain will fill the pond hole and I'll not have to worry about finishing my project this weekend..at a loss of what to do anyway!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8637931

LAST DAY of the visit is TODAY .. 2 weeks has gone by, and, at times NOT quickly .. but all in all a good time was had by all ..
Now decisions re a follow up trip in September have to be made .. I'd love to do the Lake Superior 'Circle Route' .. head out from TBay go south through Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan and back into Canada at Windsor. But .. the parents are heavily suggesting they would rather fly back here ... decisions, decisions !!

Gorgeous day out there .. despite the mosquitoes !!

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8638086

Not much rain yesterday, puttered in the garden for an hour or two then went for physio. Acupuncture again with heat/electrical stimulation after. My hip was very sore all day ( compared to last time) but this morning it feels pretty good. No more acupuncture as the physio is going away but just some regular stuff next week with addition of some easy exercises.
So just relaxed the rest of the day as physio said no gardening after acupuncture.

No rain so far so should be able to get the dogs out then working a shift at Lougheed House - probably raining again by then!

We have a new dog coming in to foster so I have been busy with organizing that - name is Chyna! 9 years old, owner died suddenly.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8638510

oooh how sad for the sheltie that the owner died - it will likely go through a grieving process, of course - especially if they were close as I imagine them to be.
Hope your hip continues to heal. No gardening after acupuncture is good, but now that you won't have anymore, you'll be able to go at your own pace. Take it easy though!

Would like it to stop raining long enough to dig up a veggie garden - went to GreenGate yesterday (down the street from Passport Canada, and applied for them) and got some veggies to plant. Have to get them in this weekend!

I have a question for all the knitters here - I got a bunch of "stuff" from my cousin yesterday, and part of it was 9 balls of "yarn" and I'm not sure what to make with it (a piece of clothing perhaps?) but here's the pic of the "yarn". "unknown fabric" it says, but feels like silk. I've never seen anything like it... I really love the texture, and the colour, but the "thread" portion of it at the top of this pic looks like heavy thread and would be the only thing holding it together. btw - I Do Not crochet - it would have to be knitted.
Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8638602

Rain Rain and more rain we have had 32 ml in 24 hrs.
Susan that would make dandy Scarves! you know the small ones to just keep your neck warm.
Carol, new one! Will you post a photo please? I love seeing the sweethearts you get.
Alberta Ann
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8638746

Susan, I knit, and I believe your yarn is called something like "eyelash yarn" among other things. The only item I have made with it is a skinny scarf. It is lovely when knitted up. I think if you do a search on-line you will get a few patterns.
Heather

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8638860

Pretty sure Heather is correct Susan re the 'Eyelash yarn' .. seems about 3 years ago there was a knitting frenzy on my unit at the hospital. The 'knitting nurses' were whipping up every colour of them you could imagine .. and were those scarves WARM or what .. I have a green one, blue one and multi coloured, but none as pretty as the colours you have been gifted with :-)

Bed will be early tonight, have to be up at 4am to get to the airport for 5am .. ugggggggggggg...

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 18, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8638878

Waving a welcome Heather, great suggestion..I though scarves but the'll have mega patterns for free under eyelash wool, and Susan if you are not sure it's eyelash they most likely have a visual of all their wools...

Carol, Chynal is a different name for a dog, ahhh she will be'issing her owner..couldnt have found a better home!

Susan, how wonderful, passports, now pack your camping gear and off you and Bob go!

"M" I did almost the exact trip about 15 years go, loved it..in. Wisconsin in the middle of nowhere I forgot my wallet..when I realized it and called there it was in the drawer looking pretty with all my traveling $$$. I was so relieved..was in the middle of absolutely nowhere ..told them to take a reward, ups me in st.cloud which they did..so trustworthy. I'd sure make the trip again.

Heather how has the gardening been in your neck of the woods..norml weather?

Already in my jammiies..body said enough is enough.
Got home at 4 yesterday and worked on pond..then at 7:30 drove to wash ago to give my stepfather his fathers day gift..e-reader which he loved sooo home just before the strike of midnight. Up early this morning , layer the liner and omg needed to dig almost as much..ran into a boulder , more like a mountain. Lol, had company come over to managed to get it moved..by the time the canvas was layer so there woulnt be any damage, then the liner it was time to meet my sister for the graveyard run and lunch..wish all would have decided to be hurried in same graveyard.

On my way home I stopped off for slate rock to at least get an idea where I was headed in making a small waterfall..did a trial re sounds of water flow but just too tired to do more.

In the morning I've Roger's grave to clean and put the tombstone floral on it, quick couple of trips to quarry for more slate..wow talk about expensive..level the liner and by then end of weekend ..I'm always thrilled with going to work Mondays as it's a day of rest.

Carol, it must drive you bunkers to be told No gardening...
Think I'll gave corn on the cob and fresh strawberries and relax

Hope all enjoyed their day..perfect weather here!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 18, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8638882

"M" think were lucky we posted now because well all be sleeping by 8pm. Lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 18, 2011

Post #8638910

Oh there is not so much to do in the garden now- mostly just puttering and weeding - but I would like to get all my little hostas planted!

Chyna may not be coming our way - seems the lady looking after her has a friend who has a friend who is interested , already has a sheltie. Hope it works out for her. I think Chyna is just an odd spelling of China.

I did two tours at the house today and headed home couldn stay on my feet anymore, did not start raining until about 430PM.Sat on my heating pad and read and napped and hip feels fine now. Tomorrow nothing scheduled except a friend dropping by to pick up some plants in the afternoon. It would be nice if it was warm enough to put up my rope chair and have a swing!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8639435

Chyna is beautiful! If it's a friend of the lady who passed, then Chyna may be comfortable with someone she knows.

Eyelash yarn it is! It surely looks like eyelashes, and that's what I thought it was as soon as I saw it. I'd just never heard of it before...
I found a lot of free patterns for it, and I think I have the top I want. The "eyelashes" feel like silk, they're so soft...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 19, 2011

Post #8639649

Morning, just back from putting the tombstone floral or Roger's grave, needless to say it wasn't bust. Lol. Who gets up at that time of the morning??

Having breakfast then out to work on the pond again..have a few more chores and I'll have completed all my to do's, always nice way to end a weekend!

Sorry that you are getting rain out west, makes it hard to get caught up with gardening tasks..

Carol, that would be wonderful if if Chyna was able to find a home with another
sheltie in her own area..

Well I'd best get a move on, afraid that if I sit here much longer I'll be comfy as can be and lazy for the rest of the day..

Hope those with fathers or hubbies enjoy the day!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 10:23 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8639814

Well the sun is shining and the rain appeared to stop overnight but it is predicted o have showers all day . I am just feeling frustrated at not being able to comfortably be outside whether I have garden tasks to do or not!

Chyna is coming to us on Wed.. The lady who has her decided if the friend of a friend wanted her she can apply to us same as anybody else( It was not anybody the previous owner./dog knew) . I had sent her, for her information, our application to adopt and home evaluation form so she could assess appropriately and I guess she decided to leave it up to us!

Hoping I can spend some time outside today but probably not a good idea to put the cushions on the chairs and hang the rope swing! Maybe I will get out the drill and start drilling holes in the now 'useless' garbage cans ( we got our big black bins last week) to turn them into compost bins, goodness knows I could probably fill them all!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8640276

YAWN!!!!!!! Getting up up at 4am has definitely put a crimp in the day, but, since we have showers happening it's OK ..
Got the folks to the airport for 5am .. HATE GOODBYES ... then off to McDonalds for brekkie .. haven't done that in a LOooooong while and it has likely added to us feeling sluggish ..

Get this .. the furnace just came on !!! What a crazy season we are having !! The Summer Solstice is June 21st at 1:16pm .. d'ya think Ma Nature will waken then and whip summer out for us ?

Have a date with my Hospice client, best get myself ready ..

Happy Father's Day to those celebrating it with family and/or friends

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 19, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8640306

Busy at it again "m".. Hate to see what would happen if you put us together f.or a few days..you'll not know what to do with yourself, ahhh yes you will, back into a regular routine..

Shucks I've had a/c on all week..sure is hot out there..worked right through to 1:00 and stopped and gabbed with neighbor who is repairing the fencing, although I needed only about six slabs of rock I was near done..had enough, neighbor said 'not like you to leave a project almost done, a challenge, cant have the young ones doing more than I, looked at my watch, still time to go get last slabs I need so off I went..all are laid, even a makeshift waterfall until Greg can come and put the heavy slabs into a little falls..now washed, exhausted..thinking of grabbing a pepsi, set myself on a chaise lounge and relax for a few hours..will have to take painkillers tonight for sure..we think we can do more than our bodies can do!!

Best not tell my boys that though, can just hear them now. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8640832

Furnace has been off and on most of the day here .. i believe we hardly reached 11C and D A M P !! My bones are fer sure UNHAPPY.

Played cards with my Hospice client .. he tires easily so one game was good .. then we chatted for a bit , his wife came home and I helped her put him to bed, and home I came.

Gonna be an early night .. hope you sleep well after your busy weekend Betty ..

WELCOME to SUMMER this coming week !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 19, 2011

Post #8640967

"M" my sister Sharon volunteers at a hospice center a few days a week, I'd never have guessed someone prone to depression could do it..but she does... You should be congratulated for being a blessing to your clients..it's something many cannot do yet would like to.

Can't believe your furnace has come on..no humidity today but talk about hot!

After all the work I did this weekend and having aches and pains, Cathy came over to see how I did, she was just leaving and I was on the deck landing, went to turn, screamed, omg talk about pain in the knee...the minute I put weight on it I yelp. If no better in the morning it will be emerge for me. I'm on my 2nd Tylenol 3...leave it to me!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8640976

Decent enough here to work in the yard but not to go out and sit with a book and a snack! A few showers but they did not last long. So I have had rather a lazy day!

My furnace has also been running intermittantly. I dont bother to turn it off in the summer any more - it is on a program and I figure at my age and not minding a bit extra on the heating bill I would rather it ran than had to pile on sweaters in July! Seem to chill more easily since I had chemo 10 years ago.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 19, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8640985

Carol, I'd do without food before I'd endure being cold..regardless how much hydro I use the bill usually is around the same.. Chemo would thin your blood??

Sometimes the body needs to rest..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 19, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8641272

Carol - I was out today, digging up a garden with my pitchfork. I got a fair bit done before it started to sprinkle so I went into my friends' house and chatted while the Sun Shower did its thing - then went out and dug some more. Another "sun shower" I thought, but it wouldn't quit! I was sitting in my car waiting, but as it just got worse, I left to go home!
So, now that it's evening, the sun is out!! siiiiiiiiiiigh
Well, tomorrow's supposed to be sunny, so will rent a rototiller and get the garden done that way, and plant things I bought at the garden centre (3 tomato plants, swiss chard, celery, peas, lettuce, etc) - all very healthy stuff! Oh, and a friend gave me some potatoes to plant, so I should be set!
Believe it or not, I could not find any bell peppers! Well, I did, but I'm not paying $12 for one plant!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 19, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8641599

Betty .. sure hope you're icing and elevating your knee .. sounds as though you might have pulled a ligament :-(
Never rains but it pours huh ??

Furnace is still coming on about every half an hour .. i slept in bed for 3 hours, but looks as though I'll spend the next while sleeping sitting up .. getting used to it .

Out to buy a vacuum cleaner tomorrow .. mine gave up a couple of days ago, and, the carpet sweeper thingy I have is just not good enough ..

Your veggie garden sounds wonderful Susan .. Gord's is well on it's way .. especially the cabbage .. all the tomato plants are doing well too ..

Best nod off for a bit ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 20, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8641807

Morning all, not sure if it's a sunshine day or will be one of rain..doesn't much matter as I'm off to work for a rest...had a half decent sleep, knee is still painfull but only if I make a sharp turn...have a dr.'s appointment tomorrow afternoon so will have it looked at.

After being in the quarry 3 times for rock my car looks grey from all the dust so I'll leave early and wash it..

Big object pick up this week, omg, streets were full of unwanted items, by late evening when I looked up hardly a thing left..some people's garbage is treasures to others...lots of trucks with trailers picking up metal..

Coffee sure does taste good this morning, even have a left over donut from timmies...

"M" good luck shopping for the vacuum, something you cannot do without..a SEARS purchase??? lol

Susan, looks like you've a project underway as well that will take high energy and muscles..lucky you to have Bob to help out..a rotatiller, wow, does that mean every flower in the bed has/had to be removed???

while working on the pond yesterday I thought often of Roger, he'd be shaking his head asking why I needed a 2nd pond and shaking his head..he'd help but not without a few choice words...got a laugh out of those thoughts..

Pond, made a make shift waterfall..the rock I have to create the proper waaterfall is much too heavy for me to work with so that will have to wait until one of my boys drop in!!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 20, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8641821

oops, all the slate rock wasn't around the pond on the previous photo...still much to do but the hard work is done..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 20, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8642263

No rototiller - and Bob's not assisting. I'm just using the pitchfork. Need the exercise.
I could ask him but he's "busy" around the house.
We switch roles now and then lol
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8642478

Waving back from Victoria ! Our weather has been much the same as the rest of Canada - very changeable. A few lovely warm sunny days and then back to clouds and cooler. But the garden sure likes the cooler weather and my spring flowerers lasted much longer. Now that I am retired, I am a lot further along this year in the garden as far as maintenance etc. and I am considering a few new projects, (yes, Alberta Ann, we did finish the sitting area and added a few more !)
Despite the weather, all my houseplants and tropicals (including the plumeria) are outside, as well as my little zebra finches which are in their aviary. So this morning, which is beautiful, everything is right with the world !!
Heather

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 20, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8642598

Heather you can't get much better than perfect! Your gardens sound spectacular, sure hope you've a few photo's you can share...we lovvvvve photo's don't we girls.

Susan, don't work too hard!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 20, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8643046

moi? work hard? lol surely you jest! I am taking a breather and doing gardening!
Betty - I seem to recall you asking if we were replacing a flower garden with a veggie one.
Nope - this is a bit of land our friends have, that's behind their garage, and hasn't been a garden of any type for about 15 years. Bot spared me any more pitchfork use, and while he dug up and I cleaned of the roots (to keep SOME of the soil). Then I threw the weeds, etc, into a large pile to get rid of.
Then he used a rototiller, and put 2 large bags of steer manure down. Next thing is to put a bale of peat moss down, THEN I can plant!!
Can hardly wait!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 20, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8643182

Enjoy your planting Susan .. if Calgary keeps wet and cool, CABBAGES would have been the veggie of choice to plant !!

Cryminee Betty!! Was that slate HEAVY ? Good gravy I do believe I would have dropped the bigger pieces .. the red mulch offsets the pond nicely, you've again done a wonderful job :-)

Bought a new vacuum .. LAWSIE .. vacuumed the living room and was HORRIFIED at what the old vacuum had been missing .. this new one is bagless.. has the clear cup that allows you to SEE what you didn't know was in your carpeting . Here I thought our animals were LOW shedders .. NOT !!!!

Looks as though we will be hosting 2-3 days of rain .. keep saying it's good for grass and garden .. but I miss not going outside ..

Take care .. first day of summer tomorrow !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 20, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8643235

Susan, sounds as though you are going about it the right way, whatever nourishment you give the soil you will get back in veggies..not sure why I thought it was your gardens you were redoing..will be anxious to see what kind of crop you get with having to plant so late..think of you and carol often during the day, you have no idea how often they advertise the Calgary stampede !!

"M" lol I have one of those vacuums as well and it's amazing how much hair I pick up regardless of how many times I vacuum! Yes, they were heavy, wonder why my back and knees are aching..but I was smart, need bigger rock for waterfall but knew enough NOT to try and do it myself..

Just watering the gardens, we won't get rain until Wednesday but then will rain for 3 or 4 days so glad I got much of my outside work done..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 20, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8643787

I just realized this is the 99th Stampede here, so next year will be 100th!! That's the one you should plan on attending, Betty! What's the date of your round-up?

Did I mention that I am planting zucchini and cucumbers, too? Garden is approximately 7' x 14'... loads of room to plant what I'm going to! We have loads of rain, and a rain barrel nearby, so the water prices going up shouldn't affect us.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8645074

WHOA Nellie !! Hang on to yer Stetson!! We have WIND here and are being told this is just the beginning ..
Tried to get out to do some gardening, but ended up salvaging things that were blowing away ..

Took some pics though :-)

~M~

First one is our Westie Banner as you come up the driveway ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8645081

This is how far behind we are, these are the Oriental Poppies !!! Usually open by now and done !!!
Smokey was my body guard on my yard trek .. poor cat almost got blown away in the wind !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8645091

Just some 'bloomin things' on the east side of the house. Anyone have a name for the Blue flower .. I THINK it's a Bachelor Button ?
Getting rid of the 'Pig Squeak' next year, hasn't bloomed since I got it !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8645104

Last one is the Nasturtium (top) and Morning Glory seeds I planted .. plan is to have the Morning Glories creep around the ladder .. fingers crossed on that !!!

Course Lilly has to be in the photo as well LoL

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 21, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8645230

Almost evening, summer is here..aren't we excited?

Got off at 2:30 for dr's appointment and just got home and lucky I did, storm is a brewing, winds a blowing and rain shortly arriving..nice to be inside..

"M" my morning glories and sweat peas have done exactly nothing..I put them in good earth so not sure what's happening. I would say my gardens are about 1 month behind..going by photo's taken last year.

T.v. Bingo tonight 8 pm, Ann will be coming over so from nownuntil then I will relax..got a few painting books out to go through, must be a pattern somewhere that will temp me into a painting project!

Susan, our town's 100th. Birthday celebration is this year..being celebrated on the weekend..it will be something special next year then for the stampede...

That is a fair size garden Susan ..will certainly be enough veggies to keep you and Bob fed this summer/fall!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8645362

Woo-hoo!

I got a bit of green in one of the PVC tubes. I started a thread for the topic since a couple ladies wanted to know how it went, what worked and so on.

I posted a pic and it's here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1190156/

Some of you are so ambitious (Betty - A POND!!??) I feel like a real sluggard, but somehow can't get excited enough about it to do more than I am.

Someone said they'd post a link to the Cubits for me so I can take a look at the place - could you do it please? Or D-mail me if that's more what's acceptable - and thanks.

Supper is calling, so ttyl,
~marilyn

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8645398

http://cubits.org/

There ya go Marilyn ..

So, has anyone a name for 'that Blue FLower" I posted a pic of? It's a perennial ...

~M~
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8645414

Yes Marilyn, perennial Cornflower or Centaurea (montana I think). Is it dry there, looks a little short.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8645476

I was not sure as I could not see the flowers clearly but my vote is Centaurea montana

A lovely sunny day here- no sign of the late afternoon thundershowers yet. Seeded the pee spots in the grass this morning and other than that just lazed around all day, nice to be able to sit in the swing and do nothing!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 4:21 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8645507

Thanks for the name .. I Googled it and find that the Latin name is interchangeable with 'Bachelor Button'
Echoes, it has been moderately dry here .. I have 3 of these Bachelor Button Bushes .. and I'll be darned if one morning when I was watering, didn't it look like someone/thing had punched a BIG hole right in the middle of the bush .. I think they may need staking so that they'd grow taller ..
Expecting rain for the next 3 days .. veggie garden will LOVE it :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 21, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8645951

ah - we were supposed to get rain today, but my car registered 28c!
No rain, but got my garden in (yes, Echo - it's late, for Winnipeg, but right on time for my knee recovery, and the Calgary weather LOL)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 22, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8647428

Storm is a brewing, just got home and realized the kitchen/ living room windows were open all day, drats now I must turn the furnace on, imagine doing something like that in late June!!

Yikes, army vehicle in an accident near Barrie as I was leaving, sure hope no lives lost..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 22, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8647537

I see there was a police office in Lindsay who was shot .. should be OK though ..
What a world !!

Thunder Bay has had about 45mm (1.75inches) of rain over the last about 18 hours .. the gardens are loving it, but, as I had to be out and about today, I sure wasn't ... and, as odd as this sounds, there are evacuations taking place north west of here by about 200km .. all because of the smoke associated with forest fires ..

Hoping to get out car shopping (SUV shopping tomorrow), not really wanting to test drive anything on rainy days though ..

Betty .. hope your home warms up ...

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 22, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8648152

I got a new computer CPU! My old one was so "crankingly slow" that I was having trouble getting on the 'net! 1/3 of the time it took re-booting the modem AND the PC before I could get online...
And my old keyboard wouldn't fit with the new CPU so I had to get a new keyboard ($13), and I may as well get a mic ($10) so I could go on Skype! The CPU only cost $75, as it's a friend of my DH and he only charged for an hour of his time. He didn't even take the old one so we now have TWO of my old ones here. Dunno what I'm going to do with them
So, for $98 I got a new system, keyboard and mic! How about that for a deal?!?!?! Oh, and it's "loaded" with everything I use - ALL of MS Office, etc. I'm very happy!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 23, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8648437

Great news Susan, and good luck and happy surfing :-)
I also have 2 PC towers hanging out in the rafters in the garage .. have always been told it's not good to toss'em as there is/could be .. sensitive personal info on them, and, as well, the electronics inside aren't really meant for dumping ..looked into having the hard drives 'vacuumed' (all info removed) then donating the PCUs..well .. a small fortune to have that done .. right now they are outta sight, outta mind LoL

Furnace came on at 5am this morning .. cool dreary day out there ..
Hopefully heading out to test drive some SUVs ..

Have a good day

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 23, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8648636

Susan there are several sites in Calgary where you can drop off electronic equipment for recycling. Just remove the hard drive.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8648719

yes, I know, Carol - we've helped friends get rid of their stuff at Staples. Bob just doesn't like getting rid of computers - one can be used for movie night at our church without disconnecting our current systems. Plus the fact that we know people without systems, and want to clean out one of these for a friend who is computer-less lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8648748

Morning,

Slept like a baby last night..brrr it was cool even though I had the furnace on but didn't want to put it up high, just enough to take the chill off..

Was awfully tired last night, bet I was in bed not much later than 8pm.. brought my e-reader along with me and doubt a read a few pages.

It did rain again last night, we did have a few drops of rain during the day here in Barrie and Cathy telephone me and said that they had so much rain in my neck of the woods that they thought we'd all be flooded...

Rain for past 3 days but it rains during the night so that's wonderful..don't see any blue in the sky this morning but it's to appear tomorrow..let's see if that changes.

Lucky you Susan, what a bargain..these computers are now so disposable that I hate to keep any..my last one I gave to the school as they do repairs and give to younger children..nothing much important goes on in my life so I don't worry about sensative info..lol

With weekend ahead of us I'm trying to make my 'to do' list..you know me, like to know what I'm up to even if it's to no good..

I do need to work on the new pond, the water feature..have about 3 more extra large slate pieces to pick up at the quarry, then to Atlas Block for about 20 small building cement blocks to make a staircase look... so will have to go in search of a helper, take some of the water out and maybe Saturday between rain drops I can finish that project..

Girls want me to plant hosta's around it..well if my hosta's are the norm for size, yikes, they'd be much too big..know what I did with the other pond, planted flowers, shrubs etc. and now unless it April/early May you can't even see a pond so don't want to do that again, want to be able to sit near the edge and hear the water fall..

Behind this growth is a pond..lol

So what are you all up to, hopefully no one is expecting snow???

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8648763

oh gosh no - no snow! It's 15c now, at 8:30 am - it's supposed to get to 23, with intermittent thundershowers.
Love the rain for our veggie garden. Checked it out yesterday, and to water it, and everything is looking so refreshed and sturdy. Only things like the lettuce and potatoes aren't "up" yet. Everything else is grown from plants and they're looking "perky" :-)
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8649692

Hm-m-m-m. I just picked my first lettuce - and it's all floppy, not crisp at all. Anyone know what can cause that?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8649704

Too much water, usually.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8649792

Hmmm not sure, I would have thought the heat! Maybe set the leafs in cold water with ice cubes in..

Did Toronto get the storm we got this afternoon? Shouldn't have to water for a few days..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8649853

you're likely right, Betty - we've had a "bit" of heat the past couple of days, too.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 23, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8650731

'Floppy lettuce' .. guess it could be either of the two suggestions from Echoes and Betty .. my problem is usually 'bitter lettuce' .. stopped buy one brand of 'leafing' stuff .. Red Sails seems to be okee dokee

Rain has stopped here for a bit, supposedly a lovely weekend on the horizon .. maybe the Oriental Poppies will make their push to POP !!

Doc put me on 'percocet' for my shoulder pain .. am being very cautious with it ..am up now as ONE tablet allowed my to sleep 4 hours, more sleep than I have had in a row in weeks .. but .. I don't want to repeat the dose at 2am as I need a clear mind today .. lots on the go..

Back to bed I go ..

TGIF

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8650878

Marilynne - I hope the Percocet is successful in allowing you to sleep more. I guess I missed, it, but what did you do to the shoulder?

Floppy lettuce might also be related to the time of day. I think it's best to pick in the morning if you can. sometime plants get pretty flaccid in mid-day.

We had lots of rain overnight. definitely won't have to water most place here except maybe under the deepest shade of a few of my trees.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 24, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8650894

ViAnn ... I was diagnosed with 'psoriatic arthritis' in January, at that time I just had an uncomfortable hand which is where it was seated for a bit. In May it moved to BOTH my shoulders and I have been in agony .. not able to sleep lying down as my rotator cuffs are affected .. have tried different modalities and analgesics, but, after a good discussion with my doc, it was decided to stop using 'synthetic opiods' and go with the 'real deal' ie Percocet ..
As I am a very poor medication taker (2 tylenol extra strength knocks me out) I am approaching this drug with caution and taking it in half tabs .. and .. happy to say, it worked !!!!

Had thought the rain here was to have disappeared overnight, but, nope .. it's gently falling once again, the gardens look so nice .. they love the rain :-)

Off to shower .. onwards to a busy day !

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 24, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8651054

Yikes "M" mom was on percocet, not sure how much she took of it but it's the cause of her being skin and bones right now and our thinking she was from another planet..she's now off of it thank goodness! Do be extremely cautious.. not sure if some of these meds that help create more of a problem in the long run...

As for rain, we've been getting downpours..my poor gardens..everything because of sun/rain in May is tripple the size, especially in how high they are so last night and again this morning the flowers that have bloomed are all laying on the ground..doubtful that they will stand up again considering another few days of rain...

Isn't gardening fun...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 24, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8651664

I'm being pretty darned careful with the percs Betty .. I am allowed 2 a day, but have decided to take a half a tab 4 times a day (if I need it) .. looking back I can remember dispensing this drug and not thinking twice about it .. mind you I did have some patients who after a couple of doses of it said 'NO MORE' as it made them feel 'odd'.
This past week there was a drug bust in the city .. millions of dollars of illicit drugs were seized .. there were percocets selling for $60. per TABLET!!!!

Humid here, sun is just starting to shine .. gonna be pretty warm soon .. when I do 'tag days' it seems I am either caught up in extreme wind and cold/or/ hot humid weather .. guess today the latter will happen .. best go see If I have to press a sundress.

Toodles

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8652044

MarilynneS wrote:I'm being pretty darned careful with the percs Betty .. I am allowed 2 a day, but have decided to take a half a tab 4 times a day (if I need it) .. looking back I can remember dispensing this drug and not thinking twice about it .. mind you I did have some patients who after a couple of doses of it said 'NO MORE' as it made them feel 'odd'.
This past week there was a drug bust in the city .. millions of dollars of illicit drugs were seized .. there were percocets selling for $60. per TABLET!!!!
~M~

PER TABLET?!?!?!?! Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 24, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8652130

Lol, can you imagine someone paying that ? What would a regular prescription cost?

100 year town anniversary party has already started..between me and the community centre is a tree'd concession..a friend who has a band and has been playing since 3pm and a tribute band starts at 8pm,,have the windows and doors closed as not to hear how loud it is...at 8pm Greg and friends will use my yard for parking, wanted to know if I wanted to join them, said nope, I'm enjoying the couch..too damp for me even in a tent!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8652165

I think you Should have charged for parking. It's going to be pretty noisy, eh?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 24, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8652248

Yes, but I've turned up tv, closed windows/doors and when I sleep I sleep, no worry there.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8652291

shutting down for the evening - Movie Night tonight (Friendly Persuasion, 1956) and then I have folding of church newsletters, too! :-)
Have a wonderful evening, everyone!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 24, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8652408

Don't work too hard Susan! Enjoy the movie...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8652953

really enjoyed the movie! Have you ever seen it, Betty? It was my first time to see it.

Now, time to fold 300 newsletters lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 25, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8653191

Morning, so dark and heavy out there, front is staying right over our area so expecting rain most of the day!! That leaves me wondering how to fill my day..am sure I'll come up with something...

Friendly Persuasion, hint of story line Susan??

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 25, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8653314

SUNSHINE and perfect summer temps here in Thunder Bay .. bout time !! Maybe now the plants and veggies will get that much needed 'heat boost' and start to grow in earnest!!

Bad news in the shoulders dept .. the percocet/oxycodone does no work :-(
I'm back to sleeping upright most of the night ..
Ahhh well .. c'est la vie.

Planning a BBQ for this evening, best get some recipe books out.

Enjoy your day everyone :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 25, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8653333

Pouring here this morning so a bit at a loss as to how to entertain myself!! Believe me do have several projects I could start but am having one of those days you are not sure you want to do anything.

Listening to the rain fall makes you want to look for the nearest couch, a book and do nothing, lordy I'm not even dressed yet. Must try and find some energy!

"M" sorry to hear the meds are not working and you are still in pain..will you opt for an operation? Can't continue going through the day/night in pain and no sleep.

Glad you are having sunshine, so weird this summer, usually garden is all and bloom, right now few flowers and those I do Have open are laying on the ground flattened by the rain.

Not sure you are like me, never cutting any and bringing inside because they are so lovely in the gardens but seeing as they'll die laying there I should make a few bouquets..

Enjoy your BBQ , think I might think of cooking tonight, rare experience for sure lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8653866

Friendly Persuasion - about a Quaker family in Indiana, 1800's, during the Civil war, and how they and their fellow Quakers react to it.
It has some funny spots as well as sad... and very well done, with Gary Cooper and Dorothy McGuire as the dad and mom to a teen boy and girl, plus a 9 year old boy. It really gives an insight to how the Quakers and their families lived.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 25, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8653876

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaapppppppppppp!!!!!! We are having a downpour of gigantic proportions !!! Thick pounding rain and hail .. am sure hoping what's up in the Veg garden is not decimated .. I can already see damage done to flowers :-( ..

Sheesh!!

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 26, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8656340

Rain then heat, and POP goes the POPPIES :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 26, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8656366

lovely, isn't it, how flowers react to the way God treats them well?
Love your poppies - they're so cheerful :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 26, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8656676

Still wierd weather combo of rain and sun. Worked at LH yesterday but pretty quiet- one tour with one lady who turned out to be an oncologist from Phoenix here for a conference and taking the afternoon off! After I got home a friend dropped by to pick up some plants that have been waiting for her for several weeks!

Today was not so bad, rained lightly all night but stopped mid morning. I tried out a new rhubarb cake recipe from the newspaper ( actually a Martha Stewart recipe) which was quite nice bit of course too much for me alone so I took half of it down to LH for whoever was working.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 7:48 PM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 26, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8656807

Well I was in the middle of typing and suddenly my keyboard stopped working ! So I have been on the phone with my IT person ( who lucky for me is a personal friend so I can phone on \Sunday eve!) We could not figure out what is wrong s I have plugged in the new keyboard which came with the new computer. Good thing I still have it!

I puttered around in the garden earlier this evening and started to trim the grass edges which I have not done for several years, used to do it once every year. It does look nice,I got about1/3 finished.|This coming weekend the Canadian Peony Society is meeting here and they are touring two gardens on Sunday,. mine is one of them so of course I want it to look decent! Mosquitos out but not too bad. If the weather stays warm this week it looks like some of my older peonies will bloom - I hope!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 28, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8660552

Evening all,
Carol how did the garden tour go, did you have sunshine?

Rain off and on all day, actually wind came up on my way home and nearly picked my car up!!

Took a few photo's of my gardens this morning, will have to download later and post..hosta's are an unbelievable size, actually hiding many of the plants from sunshine, any of the taller plants are down on the ground either from being so tall and leggy or beaten down from the rain..

Are you finding your gardens are not what they should be??

"M" your poppies are spectacular..how are the meds, any help?I

Carol, can you share your Martha Stewart recipe..

Had a big lunch, decided to stop off at the veggie stand andpick up raspberries for a treat!

Decided to stop at the pharmacy and get allergy pills for itching..every year at same tome Sailor pills out all her right haunch hair..no flees but I thing there are sand flees or something od the same that bite..seems allergy pills, plus salve seems to help..she looks terrible seeing I've cut all her hair on her hip..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 28, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8660610

Hiya :-)

Sounds as though we're all in fill gear with the gardens .. I wish I was more able, but, this summer may be a crapshoot for me ..
Went to a walk in clinic last evening (my doc's 'group) saw a relatively knowledgable doc who ordered physio and increased my pain meds .. I took the increased dose last evening and SLEPT 7 hours ... however .. this morning I felt awful .. sleepy but the shoulder pain was a bit less aggravating .. by the afternoon, I was back to square one :-(
Will repeat the 2 meds at bedtime .. going to the US Border tomorrow, but Lorna drives so that's OK .. have to go as I have a parcel there and the State of MN is apparently in monetary difficulty and may well close the border ..

Took some pics of the Peonies today and will upload them tomorrow maybe .. such a luscious shade of pink ..

Gorgeous day here .. not sure what it is floating through the air though .. thought it was Dandelion whisps, but apparently not .. almost looks like a snow storm outside ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 28, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8660612

My gardens are actually better than normal - must be all the rain we've been getting!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 28, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8660615

MN close their borders for monetary probs? My goodness...!!
I hope you get your parcel (and your meds straightened out - good thing Lorna's driving)!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 28, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8660711

Betty garden tour is coming Sunday.

I really dislike this new keyboard- sure hope Ian can figuire out why my old onestoppedwoprking. | ( notediting so you can see my problem) The keys seem a bit bigger and a bit closer together and I am constantly hitting an unwanted key next to it..
Also the keys sit in a flatter fashion whereas on my old keyboard they sit quite high.

I edged all the grsass in the back yard the past two days, not a difficult job. Remembered my neighbor nmarie had some unused alpine mulch so went to ask- she had 4 tubes of it and wouldnt let me pay her, am spreading it along the edges and visible areas into thebeds- it does look nice and smells good too

2ndnice day in arow My oldest peony bloomed yesterday and a few more may come out by the end of the week if this weather holds. Would certainly be nice to have some blooming when the peony group comes to view!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 28, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8660957

I'm with you, Carol - I have a new keyboard too... seems tiny, and the keys are close together... I have to type slower, and less, to get it straight lol It doesn't have the wrist rest, either... got used to that.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 28, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8661052

Well I have my old keyboard back- it is in fact a much better quality. It really just was the batteries, I had changed them but Ian changed them again and it was fine.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 28, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8661116

"M", let's hope your pain and sleeping habits soon get under control..wow 17 hrs...you wouldn't want to be doing that too often or summer will pass you by!! I'm sure it's a great help having Lorna there to help you out.

Beautiful peonies Carol,mine were finished about 2 weeks ago.

Brrrr...was so hot and humid this morning, tonight you need a winter coat on...weather is playing havoc with everyone.

hate changing keyboards...especially not fond of the i-pad system whereby you type something and it pick up what it wants to so you just have to be very careful before pressing 'send'..would hate to be kicked of DG..

Did a collage of my photo's I took this morning...some on the ground, some extra large hostas...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 28, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8661289

Betty - she only slept 7 hours, not 17... That would be a normal amount of sleep for me :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 29, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8661516

Morning, light drizzle this morning!

Susan, note to self, put glasses on when reading!!! Lol

Anything planned for this long weekend? So far weather should be normal temps and enjoyable but it's only Wednesday morning..warm/cold fronts move in so rapidly that you never know what it will be like until you wake up that morning...so muchnis planned for Canada Day you hate to see rain..

Poor Sailor, just gave her meds, re-salved, looks so pitiful with raw hairless hip..

Carol did you get your new visitor yet, adjusting well?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 29, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8661605

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/208146/
The above is a link to the 'kafuffle' in Minnesota .. pretty tense situation !!

Talk about 'variable responses to medications' !! I took the 3 percocet lat night at 9:30pm, and, I swear, I watched the clock until 4am when I got up and took 2 more!! Right now the pain is manageable, but I am in a fog and I HATE it !!

Betty ... have you tried 'ADVANTIX' from the vet on Sailor ? It keeps poochies free of all kinds of pests ..

WIll try and upload my Peony pic later today .. right now, I am all in ...

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 29, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8661733

"M" that's an awful lot of meds..yikes, I'd be down for the counting.

Sailor is on Advantix all year round, just seems come spring/early summer she gets bitten, I say it's sand flees but could be something else..maybe black flies??? poor old gal is in rough shape.

Going to check out your link

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 29, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8661830

poor Sailer!
off to check the link...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 29, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8661841

good grief - the people of MN must be beside themselves - no budget?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 29, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8661866

Shows the state of the economy..wow..guess we Canadian have something to be grateful for..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 29, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8662047

yes, I'm always grateful for what I have. There are lots of people here who are "house poor" in Calgary, so I'm guessing staying where we are is a good thing. We surely won't be buying a house with us both unemployed LOL LOL LOL
I'm actually enjoying this time right now - I get to catch up on things LOL

Bless everyone, today and always!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 29, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8662696

No problems at the border .. we'll see if 'things' happen tomorrow ..

I should really proof read my posts .. I took TWO percocet last night at bedtime, not 3 !!! Lordie, 3 would have knocked me for a loop.
For all that is said about them .. well .. I really don't get it .. far as I am concerned they really do nothing to relieve the discomfort ..

I guess Ottawa will be 'a buzz' with the arrival of Wills and Kate tomorrow .. ViAnn .. will you sneak a peek ?

Have a couple of garden pics .. everything is so late in blooming ...

Take care all :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 29, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8662700

Last one is Pansies who are sharing Ma Earth with ANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And lots of them !!!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8663539

Morning all, what a glorious day, sun peeking through the trees and summer weather for entire long weekend! Might be enough encouragement for me to even BBQ..

Family are headed north past Owen Sound, other son going Ottawa way so won't have many steaks to cook/burn. Lol

"M" that would scare me as well unless you have a high tolerance to meds?? Think I'd be pushing for more tests just to be on sage side.

Found we have more ants this year as well, perhaps that's why for the first time I had peonies!! Your flowers are gorgeous..nice to finally see color in the gardens.

This morning wheni look out at the back gardens it's just filled with yellow, add sunshine to it and you just want to spend the day out there and forget about going to work

Speaking of work, best I get a mone on

Gab later
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 30, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8663765

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=22984504&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00adef&fullscreen=1&autoplay=1&loop=0

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8663779

LOL, omg it's just too funny for words..
Best I go shopping for one!!!

Thanks for making me laugh
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 30, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8664855

Rhubarb upside down cake

Topping:

4 T unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 t coarse salt

Stir together butter, flour sugar and salt until moist and crumbly.

Cake:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp, divided ( see below) plus more for buttering pan.
1 lb rhubarb, trimmed and cut on sharp diagonal about 1/2 inch thick.
1 3/4 cup sugar divided ( 3/4 cup and 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t coarse salt
1/2 t finely grated orange zest
1 T fresh orange juice
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream.

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter 9 inch round cake pan ( 2 inches deep)
Dot with 4t butter cut into pieces.
Toss rhubarb with 3/4 cup sugar, let stand 2 minutes.
Toss again and spread in pan.

Whisk together flour, BP, salt. Beat remaining butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
Beat in zest and juice
Beat in eggs
Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternating with sour cream until smooth
Spread over rhubarb
Crumble topping evening over batter

Bake until toothpick comes out clean and top springs back when touched- about 1 hour.
Let cool 10 minutes- no longer or fruit will stick to pan when you invert.
Run a knife around edge and invert onto wire rack
Cool completely.

Maybe my pan was not deep enough, the cake batter was a bit over the edge so some broke off when I ran a knife around the edge. If I made it again I would put a ring of parchment paper around the edge of the pan so it would be deeper and rise straight.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 30, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8664942

Oooh I'm going to bake me one..going to look what I need..Saturday project for sure!!

Thanks for the recipe...it's so nice here today hated to come in but the dampness gets to me.. Could light a fire I. The pit but saving that for tomorrow night..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8665485

thank you, thank you, thank you for the recipe, Carol - I've been given lots of rhubarb and now I can make the cake! yummy.
I just downloaded a great strawberry-rhubarb ice cream 'bout 1/2 hour ago (made with an icecream maker, which I don't have, but I've made ice cream in the reg freezer before, so will try...) Here it is:

Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 cup sugar, divided
3 large egg yolks
2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
1/3 cup fruity red wine (such as merlot)
3 cups chopped fresh strawberries (about 1 pound)

Preparation
1. Combine milk and half-and-half in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat milk mixture to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Combine 1/2 cup sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until pale yellow. Gradually add half of hot milk mixture to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour the egg yolk mixture into pan with remaining milk mixture; cook over medium-low heat until a thermometer registers 160° (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until custard cools completely, stirring occasionally.
2. Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, rhubarb, and wine in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and liquid is syrupy. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Combine rhubarb mixture and strawberries in a blender; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, pressing with a wooden spoon; discard solids. Stir rhubarb mixture into custard mixture.
3. Pour custard into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Drain ice water from freezer bucket; repack with salt and ice. Cover with kitchen towels, and let stand 1 hour or until firm.

For a non-alcoholic version, use cranberry juice instead of red wine.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8665642

Happy Cacada Day everyone...hope it's a sunshine day in your neighborhood..thanks for the recipe Susan...

Off to Farmers Market and garden gallery. Hmmm might not be open right?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8665780

Kinda early Betty, but, perhaps YOU will catch the worm LoL

Thanx for the recipe Carol .. will give it a go .. one patch of our rhubarb has gone to seed already
One of the local farms is expecting Strawberry picking to start next week .. have all my jars ready for jam.
Say .. has anyone in the Forum made jam with 'TRUVIA' .. it's a sugar substitute.

Dull,and damp here .. not sure what bodes for the weather .. just fretting about FIREWORKS tonight .. some folks do set them off here bouts .. both dogs are terrified of them ...

Enjoy your day everyone :-)

~M~
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8665824

Happy Canada Day! Feeling homesick from down here in Texas. We have to worry about fireworks starting fires on 4th of July.
I can see this is a dangerous thread...rhubarb and strawberry =classic yum!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8665917

Here's another one - a bit easier to make, fewer ingredients.

RHUBARB CAKE

½ cup Canola Oil
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

4 cups chopped rhubarb

Layer rhubarb in 9x13 greased pan.
Combine other ingredients and pour over rhubarb.
Sprinkle with mix of ½ cup brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon

Bake in 350 oven for 45-50 minutes or until custard is baked.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8665918

LOL 'banana' .. how be I send ya some mosquitoes and black flies !!!!
Sorry to hear about the fire situation there .. in my area of Canada (North Western ON) there have been 3 massive forest fires that caused lotsa grief .. far from us though.

Enjoy your JULY 4th celebrations :-)

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8665920

This is nice too for something different.

Rhubarb Ginger Preserves
Ingredients:
2.00 L rhubarb, cut in 2 cm pieces (about 1.2 kg or 8 ½ cups)
1.00 L sugar (4 ¼ cups)
20.00 mL (4 tsp.) finely chopped fresh ginger

Procedure:
Alternate layers of rhubarb and sugar. Let stand 24 h. Strain juice and reserve rhubarb. Combine juice from rhubarb and ginger. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook, without stirring, to 115 C or until syrup, when dropped into cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens on removal from water (about 10 min). Add rhubarb, return mixture to boil. Boil 2 min. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. May be stored up to 6 months. Makes about 1.1 L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8666264

Lol yep, think we beat the vendors and farmers market and they say farmers get up early!! So much going on in Barrie, we stayed till 11 am and made our way to the Garden Gallery..Ann or Cathy had never been, both impressed...could have stayed all day.

Of course 2 flats of flowers wanted to come home with me and a big metal bird with flapping wings and head, not quite sure where he'll be set in the garden but am sure I'll find a spot..he has a coat of paint, am hoping he'll rust so he'll match the rest of the garden art..

Then on to work supplies..grass seed, bug spray and miracle grow so lots to give me something to finish my day..

Banana, I'll send you black flies, no problem...

Hope you are all enjoying your Canada Day!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8666400

Happy Canada Day!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8666407

Thank you carol, same to you and yours...just came in, drats between the heat and bugs inside is the place to be...tonight think I'll water the gardens..amazing, even with all the rain gardens are still dry!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 1, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8666416

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

yes, Betty - even with all our rain, our gardens get cracked & dry lol
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8667192

I forgot about those black flies...feeling less homesick now! Sorry to hear there are fires in Ontario. That rhubarb and ginger sounds fantastic. I am going to visit my sister in NB later this month...Maybe we will try it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8667442

Banana, thought of you while outside last night and mosquito's were feasting Canada Day celebrations on my arms and legs..yikes..massive and numerous..guess we all live with something in our area we'd rather not have..

Looks overcast this morning not sure what the weather will be, miss my breakfast television on Saturday mornings..doesn't matter, have a boat tarp and a pig sign to finish so lots do do even if I'm confined to the inside..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 2, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8667819

HOT, HOT, HOT !!! Looks like Thunder Bay is welcoming summer in a BIG WAY ! Not even noon and we are at a muggy 30C (90F).
Am planning on doing stuff inside for a bit .. perhaps sit outside later .. the mosquitoes aren't bad in the heat, it's the SPRUCE BEETLES .. and they HURT like the dickens when they bite ..

Had a noisy thunder and light show around 11pm last night . Only 1/10th of an inch of rain though.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8668204

"M" was thinking of you as I listened to the weather channel, went on to say you had quite the storm?
It's hot and muggy here as well, but then that's what we've been praying for right? You can feel the storm brewing and I'm trying to get ahead of it. I've been moving water hose around as I've seeded a few areas just in case it doesn't rain, maybe that's what is keeping it away...when I get in the thick of shrubs/trees I get bitten..they sure are out there..as well can't believe how many areas are infected by ant colonies..bought some poison and should go sprinkle, only thing is if it rains it's of no use so best I wait until tomorrow.

Doing bowrider top for Paul's boat and I've got the front and 2 sides domed but sure could use a few pairs of hands...usually there are all kinds of kids around and I offer them a coke to help for 5 minutes but there is no neighbor out, no kids out, looks like a ghost town so might have to set my project aside and get on with the pig welcome sign..lol

Might try and see if Cathy is just sitting around!
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8668656

Some mosquitoes here but not like in Canada. I remember they would come and get you even if you were standing on the street away from any greenery.
90 degrees is way too hot esp if it is humid. Hope it cools down soon. Do you have AC? I only had it in the last house I lived in and not in the cars.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8668773

Put in a good day...got Jeff's 'pig' sign done and 3/4 of the boat tarp
tired/tired so am calling it a night.

Yes, I have a/c which is making it manageable ..was looking for some of the local kids today to help me hold the tarp, or a neighbor and the entire street was deserted..just too hot..

night/night all

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8669037

It gets up to 29 here, during the day, and have been gardening... at my friend's yard and our veggie garden.
She brought out a sweet treat - fruit cake with a cookie bottom, and ice cream... sure made for a coolness when I was working hard in the yard (pruning, planting, weeding, running back and forth between the rain barrel and watering...)
It was a perfect day out.
Bob & I also got some stuff done at the church. Repurposing the "cry room/library" to take everything out (including the carpet and an oak desk) to make it a full-fledged cry room - member of the congregation is going to add some colourful interlocking foam blocks on the floor. She hopes to have it all done by fall - change table and all. She wants to put child-proof blinds on the window (no cords), and I suggested roller blinds. AND they can be painted on the canvas to make it cheerful.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 3, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8669165

Your cry room sounds wonderful Susan, bet some of the adults would love to take part as well...think we're all having sunshine this weekend..what a treat.

Went out and fed the fish and walked the gardens...not humid yet but I'm sure it will be a scorcher..few things left to finish, hoping by noon I can sit and relax, who knows maybe even read a book!

Hope you get to walk your gardens in sunshine today

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 3, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8669987

We've bought a glider for the cry room, too, Betty.

It's a dust storm here in Calgary, today... supposed to have T&L later... wait, think the wind finally died down (was 48k/hour) Really wild how it even popped open our shed door (it's very heavy btw - with beams)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 3, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8670870

Thunder Bay is still experiencing a LARGE dose of summer .. weeding has commenced in earnest. Roses are loving it as are the tomato plants and potatoes ..

Sad news from next door ..'ELVIS' the Yorkie Carol (my neighbour) bought at the same time we purchased Piper, got off his leash Sunday evening, bolted down the drive and onto the road and was hit and killed .. she came here after going to the vets .. quite an emotional time .. her home goes up for sale on Tuesday .. she can hardly wait as she is just not a 'country gurl' ..

Kijiji makes me crazy, have my car on there .. have had calls .. given directions .. and NOBODY shows up !!! Very frustrating. Will give it one more week.

Still sleeping sitting up :-( it WAS working well until I got a 'crick' in my neck .. so .. have a pillow tonight ..
My shoulders simply go crazy when I lay in bed .. not uncommon with rotator cuff problems.

Hope the 'Crying Room' comes along as expected Susan .. ours are glassed in .. can't say as they keep all the sounds of crying away, but, they are muffled.

Gonna try and catch an hours sleep ..

Have a great week

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8671278

Spendingthe day recovering from a busy weekend with the Canadian Peony Society meeting here at the Zoo,Friday night was setting up blooms for the show and followed by a social hour or two. Sat morning was more set up time and the judging ( I did not go down in the morning) and then the workshops were from 1-4 followed by a zoo garden tour. But we also had an information table set up in the lobby of t he conservatory with tables and most of the winning peonies ( there are a zillion catagories) and I worked out there all afternoon. It is a very busy building with the butterfly garden on one side and the tropical garden on the other and of course the Zoo is always busy on a weekend, But people loved the flowers, lots of photography going on and lots of questions plus we were selling roots of a species peony donated to us. And then Adelmans Gardens ( from Oregon) donated a couple of containers of their peonies to sell they had brought with them ( $! a stem )and there was a mob
We had a dinner in the evening and on Sunday a couple of garden tours ( mine and a member who has about 200 peonies) and then back to the zoo. Sold off all the peonies entered in the show ( people only want the ribbons to take home) and that was another great success.
There are some pics of the tables on the Peony forum.
Here's me with my winners.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8671396

Congratulations, Carol! I must admit that I don't like peonies (up close that is) because I put my face up close when I was 7, and got greeted by a Mass of Ants! creeped me out and I haven't been able to grow them since. I love the beauty and stature of them from far away, however! lol They look like such a majestic flower - rather like a lady of the south in full petticoats lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 4, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8671479

Beautiful photo Carol...I was excited as can be to have 2 plants bloom this year..my very 1st. and yes Susan..mega ants!!!! lol

Carol, what did you win??? you sure do keep yourself busy...

What a fantastic weekend weather wise..hated to come in this morning..should have transfered the telephones to home and answered from there seeing it's sooo quiet today..everyone must be celebrating July 4th as well. Sunshine again today but a nice breeze so makes it enjoyable. Imagine, I did the boat tarp, painted the pig sign, washed everything down on the back deck and even got some sit / relax time in which is rare..had to fight the urge to keep getting up though..someone should take a photo of me..I sit, look around and see something to do..talk myself back to sitting and few minutes later back up..can I really call it relaxing? lol

Awww, poor Elvis "M", those little guys are so quick on their feet..driver must have felt terrible!!!
Did you purchase a new vehicle?? know you were speaking of doing so awhile ago

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8671489

Marilyn - so sorry to hear about Carol's "Elvis". I would have hated to be that driver. What a tragedy.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8671940

Thanks for your condolences ladies, it certainly is trying on Carol .. she was just here for a bit .. needed to talk 'the incident' through. As it turns out, I guess the fellow who hit Elvis had a 'knee jerk reaction' when he stopped, and was ranting and raving at Carol .. and she was in shock with Elvis in her arms in very poor condition .. at any rate, the fellows wife calmed him down and he did say he was sorry.
As you said Betty .. those wee Terriers are 'lickety split' when the opportunity arises.
Carol is likely going to head west to visit a friend for a bit .. her house is up for sale and she just hopes it goes quickly.

Betty .. I still have not decided on an SUV .. there are SO many out there, and so many promotions right now ..

Just had a half hour downpour !! YAY .. don't have to water the gardens :-)

Making Thai noodles for supper .. better get to choppin!!

TTFN

~M~

PS .. Congrats on your Awards Carol :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8671996

Betty:
Cherry Twist:Single Lactiflora, Any color. lst place plus best in show.

Gay Paree: Lactiflora, Japanese, Any color: 2nd place

Dandy Dan: Herbacious Hybrid Semi double, any color: lst place.

This is Cherry Twist.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 4, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8672170

Carol, absolutely gorgeous!! You must be proud of your winning 2 1st's and a 2nd..it amazes me how knowledgeable most of you are with your plants..

I was at the garden gallery at lunch time and bought a plant that I had looked at on Friday..wasn't sure I wanted to spend 11.99 but did today! Think that it's new this year, what amazed me is that it has curly leaves and each looks as though someone took pinking shears and went aroung all the leaves..must take a photo to show you!

"m" was she selling her house prior to Elvis being hit...is she the neighbor who lost her hubby this year? Questions/questions right?

Having a feast tonight, my eldest, Greg is coming over..don't cook a lot but when I do watch out..lol. Now as long as I don't burn it I'll be ok.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8672325

oh Carol - Cherry Twist is absolutely GORGEOUS! ok, I'm about to be swayed... guess 50 years is enough time to get over my "yuck" about ants in Peonies!
I know exactly where I would put a peony bush - would have to wait until next year, AND if I could find a Cherry Twist. I've never seen such a beautiful peony.
Between Dahlianut, and yourself, I'm now growing plants I never thought I would. She's really turned ME into a Dahlia nut LOL I thought dahlias were too delicate lol
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8672509

Carol
Super photo of you and your beauties! That cherry twist is sure funky isn't it.
It sounds like a lot of work but a lot of fun too.
Congratulations
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8672591

Cherry Twist is one of a group of peonies called Cactus dahlia flowered and there are quite a number of different colors.

I have another called Raspberry Firefly.

Here are some others ( google for pics) Circus Circus, Summer Carnival, Blitz Tart,Peppermint Twist, Raspberry Twist, Green Lotus, Twitterpated, etc etc.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8672722

Cactus Dahlia? No wonder I love it!! lol How strange that I should mention liking dahlias and that's part of Cherry Twist's name lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 5, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8673060

Morning , sunshine day out there although weatherman says rain!!

That's how much I know about peonies, didn't realize there were so many different types..bet your gardens mare spectacular..wouldn't it be nice if we all could walk each others gardens!!!

What I purchased yesterday turned out not to be a perennial but a type of shrub..hmmm that is what you get for not reading up on it before you buy a plant

http://www.sugarlandgardenclub.org/picture_library/Copper_Plant_Tahitian.pdf

Susan, I've never planted a dahlia, might have to put one in my garden just for you...give me something to research today

Looking at the time, must run
Gab later
I could so
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 5, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8673329

Betty it is also not hardy in your area so best you keep it in a container and bring it into the house over winter.

Susan you are not likely to find a cactus dahlia flowered peony locally. Even a lot of the mail order specialists dont have this type.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8673527

Betty - the dahlia I love most is one that Dahlianut introduced me to - Nuit D'ete. It's dark dark dark burgundy and so beautiful. I'm trying to grow it again this year, but it's so tiny I'm not sure I'll get the full plant, let alone blooms!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8673532

Carol - sorry to hear the cactus dahlia is likely not available. But, as I wouldn't be able to grow it this late in the season anyway, I'll have to put it on my "to look" list for next year.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 5, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8673552

Susan mail order peonies are shipped bare root in the fall- that is the best time to plant, they may or may not flower for 1-3 years.

Here are two Canadian and one USA site that have the cactus dahlia flowered type in their catalogues this year, the USA one is the best. Availability changes every year.It is generally best to order in the spring as some types gt sold out quickly.

http://www.peonygarden.com/Default.htm

http://www.pivoinescapano.com/html/en_html/qui.htm

http://www.songsparrow.com/

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8673575

When we get our passports, we can pop down to the states and see what's available LOL or go to Devonian Gardens, near Edmonton?
I like the new varieties. Have to say that peonies would be the only type of flower where I don't like the heritage flowers as much as I do the new varieties. There are some really beautiful ones on these sites, Carol - thank you for sharing!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 5, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8674025

Didn't realize there were so many posts...
About time I move us over into the gardens...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194760/

cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8696892

Ahhh, Susan - Friendly Persuasion - what a great movie that was. I liked a lot of the movies from those days, and the musicals too. Have you seen Old Yeller?

Betty, have you tried the hemp oil based mosquito repellant from Hempola Farms in Barrie? They've had it tested at Guelph and it performed as well as the chemical (DEET) varieties and it's all herbal. I use it when I go to Africa as well as here - but you have to get used to the fact that it's a repellant, not a masker and the critters will dive bomb you and not veer off until they're about a foot away. Smells really nice and great for your skin too. Since I'm so allergic to most chemicals, it's been a Godsend to me.

The sweet peas I planted in the tubes are about 6 inches high now and doing well. We'll see how that goes.

It's fairly hot here today and has suddenly gotten very humid this evening so not very pleasant right now. It's time for bed too, so sweet dreams y'all.
~m

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 16, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8696922

Yes, I've seen Old Yeller, and Where The Red Fern Grows, too. Both excellent movies.

Well, moving over to the new thread. Cya there!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America