Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sweet Violets: the big cousins

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Violets
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet VioletsReplies: 3, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8596521

I have loads of the big violets carpeting whole ares of the wild cedar forest behind my house. They don't have any scent, unfortunately but do a brilliant job as a ground cover. They do try to venture into the grassed areas nearby but (so far) not to any disturbing extend. Lovely to look at in the spring!

Thumbnail by binibusybee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8597368

A lawn that isn't in deep shade and gets mowed regularly can outgrow violets, even the big V. sororia/cucullata/priceana/papillionacea or whatever they're called. They are lovely. I wish someone could breed scent into that tribe, since they're fiercely hardy and grow like weeds.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8597634

I have a tribe of them growing on the moist-er side of my house, sort of northeast. Strangely enough they are deep purple, white and a mix of the two. When I was growing up, there were yellow ones.

I haven't seen yellows in a long time.
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8598722

Thanks for your comment dawnsharron - and you certainly called it a good few names!!
Next to the grass they are no problem indeed. I found some planted in the front bed by the house and am still removing the last stragglers years later! In the early spring they look a mess - just this bumpy, funny surface where the lush green growth had been. then seemingly overnight the carpet is back! I have a race on in my forest - periwinkle versus violets. Not too keen for a mix though!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Violets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is that what I have? synda 8 May 25, 2009 3:33 PM
Funny and sweet! adinamiti 15 May 20, 2009 3:14 AM
Another wonderful article nbgard 4 May 19, 2009 10:39 PM
OH MY! Elena 18 Jun 2, 2011 9:58 PM
Violets in your article. SunnyBorders 1 May 27, 2009 1:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America