Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: Can anyone identify this rose?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 44, Views: 319
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8597860

I photographed it in Raulston Arboretum on the first May. I think it's gorgeous, and would like to grow it.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8597864

A closeup.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8597869

Or this one?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8597872

Or this?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8598018

I looked up JC Raulston Arboretum and they have a plant search feature. Looks like the first 2 images are
'Pink Traviata' http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.40252&tab=1
The third image could be 'Chihuly' which can have a lot of color variations http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.36777&tab=36
Last one looks like Austin's 'Sir John Betjeman' http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.47529
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8598104

Oh, thank you Sue! Now that you say it, I remember that it was Traviata. You are absolutely right! I remember that I thought Meilland when I saw it. I don't think I could grow it in my zone, other than in a pot to be protected in winter, but I might do it!

And, now that I recall, you are right about the Austin as well.

Chihuly I will do more research on.

It's fabulous that you can ID roses on site, and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Donna

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8598189

Not knowledge, just Google master! :-)
I just went through their rose list and the only one that looked like it might be your third image was Chihuly but your picture show a lot more orange so it could be wrong.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8598381

Oh wow! I've been a supporting member for years and never noticed this feature - so thank you again. I have a bunch of roses I photographed and couldn't identify. Probably the most exquisite was Teasing Georgia. They had it and Graham Thomas and the contrast was amazing. Teasing Georgia plants had exquisite form, and the flowers were held beautifully on their stems. Graham Thomas plants were floppy.

Here are some images of Teasing Georgia.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8598382

Beautiful form, strong stems.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8598386

I must have taken ten pics, I loved it so much.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8598388

Compare it to Graham Thomas, A nice rose, but no comparison. Yellow Austins, I learned, are not interchangeable. One day apart, same garden.

You've given me a new toy. I took a lot of pics over two days, and now I can label them in my files.

Delighted, grateful gardener Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8599559

I have both but they are brand new. My Mom has a large Graham Thomas which is why I wanted one, hers is beautiful. Many Austins droop because of the large blooms. Here in Calif. most Austins grown larger than registered, GT can be trained as a climber so those nodding blooms can be enjoy from below!
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.45397
HMF has tons of photos of Graham Thomas, many show both upright and drooping blooms.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1839.1&tab=36
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8599620

Wow! The first photo shows GT growing very much the way my Constance Spry does - upward, and then toppling, which I just love. I've noticed that if I have an Austin in a very sheltered location, like Tess, it grows quite tall. But some, like Glamis Castle, which is just as sheltered, tops out at two feet. GC is weak, but if you really, really cosset it, it grows into a short but lovely shrub, and judicious pruning actually keeps the heads of the flower from nodding. But this is really Madame Hardy/Morden Blush land.

I've always envied the way Austins grow in California. But then, they are not tortured by our weather.

Oh, and since you provided me with the Raulston link, I have been clinking on each rose. I think I identified the vibrant orange one with a yellow heart as Playboy.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4875&tab=36

I've really enjoyed this. Thank you.

Donna

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8600087

Your image looks like it has too many petals to be Playboy, with is a semi double, just a few more petals than a single. I had it for several years and the yellow center is quite large. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/194277/
Did you get any other pictures of it?

My Mom has had Golden Celebration for years and it's the showpiece in her garden, a 6X6 shrub with arching branches. This was it in 2008. It was incredible this year!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/193335/
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8600283

Here is a picture with more yellow. I think I need to continue down the list and see if there is one that is a better fit. The coloring is close, but it does look quite double.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8600651

Yeah, definitely not Playboy. Is that a bit of streaking I see on the petals? There are several Chihuly images that look like yours.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.37429
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.29202
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.156340
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8600883

Oh, I think you're right. I wonder why it's not on their list. But then there are a ton of things not on their list.

I wanted to show you something, because I'm dying to share it with someone and I think you can really understand it. I had never quite gotten the thing about New Dawn. I thought it was a little too pale, and I heard that it was horribly thorny. I was wrong on both counts. Here it is at Raulston Arboretum. You probably see these all the time, but I have never seen a specimen like this. The first pic is a little fuzzy, but it gives you the size. The others are clearer.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8600885

As I got closer, I could see just how refined it is.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8600887

So I went back the next day to take more.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8600896

I was surprised to find that it is not particularly thorny. Quadra which I have on a trellis, is much more so.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8600897

I need a bigger house.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8600908

I decided that this was Daybreaker, but what do you think?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8600911

And this little guy?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8600922

As you can see, the rose garden was very nice.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8600926

I took more pictures of it than anything else on my trip.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8600932

It was fun to see so many different roses assembled.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8600936

I tend to be more pastel, with a little red, so this was different for me.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8600940

But in many ways the best part was the care they received.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8600950

In the Botanic Garden here, they make a big fuss over their rose garden, but the roses are not pruned. So particularly the Austins have no repeat bloom. I went there when I was trying to choose roses, and it was difficult because they were not in great condition at the peak of the season. And admission is $20! Free little Raulston could show them a thing or two!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8601505

Donna, I saw Chihuly on the list near the bottom, under Wekscemala. I hate how they list them under their registration names.
I think Day Breaker is a very good guess since I can see the name plate in the lower right of the photo! :-)
Hard to tell with your other large soft pink photo, I can see a name tag in the middle and it says 'Madame' on it but it doesn't match the color of the only rose that has that name on their list, Madame A. Meilland. It could be Mother of Pearl. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.40978.1&tab=36
Did they all have tags? In public gardens and nurseries, I always take a picture of a bloom and then my next shot is the name tag.

That New Dawn is stunning, always loved large arbors covered in roses! I hope to eventually have a few here in my new garden. I don't do pastels or pinks in general, most of my roses and other plants are warm colors. I used to have all pinks and purples but switched when I started doing my inside colors all in warm tones. Now it's peach, orange, yellows, apricots with purples and blues for accents.
If you check my Journal here, you can see the ones I grow and what colors I lean to.
http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/Calif_Sue/55027/name2/
Click on my name and then my Journal and you can see all the other plants I have, it's a work in progress and I am gradually adding my pictures as I get bloom.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8601598

LOL about Daybreaker! Brilliant, Donna!

A lot of them had inaccessible or invisible tags. Or I would have had to climb into the middle of the bed to photograph them.

The roses I have will all be familiar to an expert like you:

Heritage
Glamis Castle
Tess of the D'ubervilles
Morden Blush (3)
Dublin Bay
Marchesa Boccella (Jacques Cartier)
Madame Hardy
Marie Pavie (2)
Heidesommer (3)
Rose de Rescht I had one but it morphed into 2, to my delight!)
Constance Spry
Gruss an Aachen
Zephirine Drouhin
Enfant de France
Sea Foam (2)
Glamis Castle (2)

I think that's it. You'll notice that they are all red, pink, white, or blush. Just like my peonies, until Steve gifted me with a Coral Charm. I also love heirloom plants.

I love roses, peonies, lilies and grasses the best. I have 14 peonies, and hundreds of lilies and other major and minor bulbs. My leaning toward pink and white is so intense that all of my daffodils are white or pink and white.

I just went to your journal, and I am astounded. I will be spending many happy hours going through it. You are indeed an Uber gardener! Thank you so much.

Donna

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 3:46 AM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8601985

LOL, Uber just applies to all the PlantFile images I have added! I am a continuously learning gardener, by trial and error and lots of Googling and reading!
I love color themed gardens and your combo sounds just delicious!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 1, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8602004

It never occurred to me to coordinate interior and exterior colors! But then there is a lot of planning that escapes my attention...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8602108

Oh, CalSue I think you are too modest! I also read that you have added many details that allowed entries to be completed. And the fact that you spent a pretty good amount of time answering my query proves that, modest or not, you are one of the best!

Oh, and as for colors I also use blue. I'm a texture freak. See what I mean?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8602113

I love plants tumbling together that have primarily cool colors and very different textures.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8602117

It's really my thing.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 1, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8602956

Lovely pictures! I love the way you blend the various flowering plants. I have no design sense, my plants just tolerate me and look their best when they can.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8603121

Gorgeous shots Donna! Love your combos, that's my kind of planting. I don't even like putting two of the same kind of plants together, like roses or daylilies. I try to mix them up, even try to mix up different green foliages with gold, silver or bronze foliage.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8630784

Cal Sue,

I'm in touch with Raulston Arboretum,. They contacted me because they have a Google search feature that tags emails with their name on them. You were right, the first rose above is Pink Traviata.

And I am sending them pics of everything I photographed, because they do not have photographic records of literally thousands of plants. You noticed that we had to run through descriptions to ID some of them. I told them that they should feel free to use and circulate the images. They think it's great because they don't have to hire staff to do it, and I think it's great that a major arboretum is using my pics. What a blast! Every gardener's dream.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8630834

Ohhh, that's just great Donna, I'll have to go back and check the list again with the new pictures!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8630981

sue,

It'll be a while. Right now he's uploading them to the data base. He actually does it each time I send a group. One of the problems of small free arboretums is lack of staff. But you coulnd't meet nicer people..

Donna

You, by the way, have been wonderful.
PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8664065

Hi, All, I have enjoyed this post... lots of beautiful pics. I just became a semi-active member at DG this summer. I have found lots of answers here tho over the last few years.

DonnaMack would you tell me what the lily pic is above -- posted June 1, 2011 -- 04:48 PM. It is gorgeous and looks huge!

I just looked through a 2009 lily forum thread from about June 28th... wow! but this one may be my fav of all! Thanks!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8664134

Welcome PrairieFolly!
While waiting for Donna to reply, you can do a quick check and see if it's one of the images she has submitted to PlantFiles. Just click on her name and scroll down to the her contributions to the PlantFiles and click on the images.
I just checked and it is there, now I am going back to look at all her other lovely images!
PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8664659

Thanks, Sue. I didn't know the way. I'll have a look at your journal too.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8665732

My apologies. I have been away a few days.

The red lily in the top photo is Hiawatha - it's an Asiatic Hybrid. I believe I got it from B&D Lilies.

The lily in the second picture is Rosepoint Lace, which I purchased from The Lily Garden.

The lily in the bottom picture is Ariadne - one of my favorites too. I got it from the Lily Garden. There is a single Rosepoint Lace to the left since I love to grow them together.

Ariadne is the one I believe you are asking about. I just love that lily. At first I didn't buy downfacing lilies because you can't see the interior. Then I saw the light!

Donna

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 6:32 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America