AuthorContent
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8598201

I wanted to share some- things seem to be evolving daily and I still have so much to do out there.

Queen of the Seas today..very tall and pretty right now

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8598214

Liberty and Big Daddy from today. Big Daddy has been disappointing to me. It's smaller this year and is five years old...I want it to get bigger!

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8598220

Early evening shot of Guardian Angel overlooking Parhelion, Elegans, and Regal Splendor. This was the worst hit last year with the storm and everything is back bigger and better than ever.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8598234

Looking great, Noreaster. And your Liberty is looking really good even if Big Daddy is slower.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8598236

Thunderbolt...my very favorite. I feel like it doesn't photograph well but it's huge this year and catches my eye all the time. Up front are blue mouse ears, Mighty Mouse in the pot, and Maui Buttercups

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8598241

Here is a shot of that whole bed, with Thunderbolt on the right and Lily of the Valley in full bloom

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8598251

over on the left of that bed is the start of the new bed where the tree fell last year. I have it marked off with tape- I am working on constructing a tiered wall out of real stone and some man made (ok, woman made- me!- "stones"). The hosta that several DG'ers so generously sent me last year will be going here.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8598256

Earlier this Spring I reworked my fountain, bringing it forward and making a larger hypertufa millstone. It was a lot of work, but I love the results...it's more of a focal point now.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8598266

The hosta around the fountain area are Aliyah's Grace, My cup of Tea (horribly slow grower), Little Treasure in the pot, Deep Blue Sea still unfurling, Americana, Winfield Blue, and Paul's Glory in the very back

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8598269

Two I absolutely love- and they are just solid green! Manhattan in the middle and Lily Pad (thanks again, Rose!)

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8598272

This one is stunning this year, and is twice the size of the other one I have. It's my mission to keep it safe from slugs

Remember Me

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8598277

June Moon showing some good puckering. This seems to be the year that a lot of mine are getting more mature looking leaves

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8598281

bed with Heatwave (starts out real frosty looking), Rosedale Spoons, Tom Schmid (x2) and Manhattan

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8598294

small bed with Barbara Ann, June, and Silver moon in the pot. Barbara Ann did the drawstringing thing again, which is a huge bummer. So did El Nino. I think it was all the rain...neither did it last year, which was a much drier Spring. Silver Moon was new last year and increased tremendously! there is almost no info online about it so I have no idea what to expect. June has bigger leaves and just always looks good.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8598616

Nice Remember Me. How long have you had it?

And speaking of drawstring, my Karin is showing bad signs of it this year.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8599783

Thanks, Ann. I think Remember Me is five years old now...maybe 4. Almost all my white edged ones looks lousy this year.
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8599788

Noreaster,

I always enjoy your pictures of your gardens. I wish I had the knack and the back to do all of the stone work that you add to your beds! They look so pretty and interesting.

June Moon is going on my wish list!

Rose
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8603587

Noreaster, your hostas are just beautiful. Gives me hope that my storm damaged babies will come back fine next year and look beautiful again. (They're standing up straighter now and starting to get new leaves, so already they don't look quite as awful as they did just after the storm.)

I know I've said it before, but your 'Thunderbolt' is the reason I bought one this year--it's amazing. Have you found it to be a reasonably fast grower? I've heard that it is. Mine's a single eye but already very attractive. I can't wait for the day it's even half as nice as yours.

I'm sure you don't get sick of hearing this, so I'll say it again--your hosta beds are gorgeous. I love the design, stone work, the fountain, everything. I'd be in hosta heaven in a yard like yours. :)
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8603834

Absolutely stunning!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8603844

Noreaster, your garden is indeed stunning. Thanks for sharing. I love your new fountain, in fact love it all.

But where is a shot of you all kitted out wearing your headlamp and holding your lethal spray bottle out in the dead of the night and sneaking around trying to kill those nasty slimy evil slugs? Priceless. Patti
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 2, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8604098

Noreaster
Thank you for the tour! I enjoyed seeing your yard and love your fountain stone. You have given me some great ideas.
Alberta Ann
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8622716

Everything is looking fantastic! Great job on the fountain!
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8622997

Thanks, everyone. I'll post some updated pics soon...my FIL is coming over tomorrow to help me work on the tiers for the new bed on the slope where the tree was.

Patti, no pics of me in my slug gear exist- I am very fast and stealthy! The slug hunting is going very well, actually. I haven't even been going out every night and things are in great shape. I tell you, they love that lettuce and will eat every scrap of it. The only thing I notice is that the pill bug compete with the slugs for it.

Here are a few from the past few days.

Stained Glass at twilight...this one does get slug damage. Next year it gets a copper collar for sure. Blue Hawaii looking frosty behind it. This bed now gets a lot of morning sun since the guy behind us cut all his trees out. I'm trying to get some vines going on the fence to keep Blue Hawaii Blue

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8623000

The other neighbors' rhodies in bloom behind our fence

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8623004

North side bed shot

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8623013

My baby- Thunderbolt again. This one stands out to me from wherever I am in the yard, and even the kitchen window...it seems to look better every day. I said to my husband the other day, "Todd, doesn't Thunderbolt look amazing?" And he said, "They have names?" I think he must have thought I have pet nicknames for them all, lol

Kayly, it has a reputation for being slow and/or difficult but hasn't been that way for me. It was a little slow, but has grown noticably every year.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8623015

High Society is such a pretty little thing

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8623017

Manhattan, another fave. Christina, I hope your Manhattan is doing well!

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8623020

Mister Watson, behind Thunderbolt. Probably gonna replace this one with a bigger one because it will be hidden by Thunderbolt soon. I like the texture of this one a lot.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8623022

Wider top shot of that bed

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8623024

Here is the other Remember Me, also doing quite well despite pretty bad conditions with that birch. Love Pat, too. I've got white bridal veil astilbe in there behind Love Pat that is covered with buds right now and for the first year the horrid tarnished plant bug seems to NOT be destroying them, knock on wood. So I should have a pretty show and I'll post pics when they bloom.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8623028

Just lovely! Manhattan is doing very well. I love the texture of it! Thanks again!! I wish I had written down the names of the NOIDs that you helped me identify when you were here. I should have known better than to think I will remember!
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8623030

These three were flattened by the storm last year and we had a close call yesterday. The sky went black and the winds got all crazy and my husband I both thought we were in for a repeat performance. luckily, no hail this time. The wind did bend them all back and mess up Parhelion again, but nothing is snapped, so that's good. Here is a shot before the storm. I have three Parhelions, all in what I consider well protected spots, and they all get trashed in the wind. I'm starting to think the super big leaved ones are just not worth it.

I still think Regal Splendor is a bit smaller this year and saw a hole nearby- not sure if it's a vole hole or chipmunks

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8623046

Lakeside April Snow. Another one that must be protected from the slugs at all costs!!!

Thumbnail by Noreaster

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8623080

Your garden is beautiful. It is nice seeing it again in all of its' glory!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8623247

Amazing, Noreaster!
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8623288

just beautiful.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8623856

Noreaster, have you had chipmunks dig under your hostas? We had a bunch of them here in the yard but I started trapping and relocating them early this spring before they could breed. They seem to be gone now, which is surprising--I thought I'd never get rid of them. But I went to Amazon and ordered a little chipmunk trap called Happy Trap and caught about 5 of them plus one mouse and a couple of sparrows. I relocated them all to a spot near the river but over a mile away from my house. My kids now refer to the spot as Chipmunk Haven.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8650382

Kayly, I do have a ton of chipmunks and they are currently tunneling under my north side bed, which is also known as "the vole bed". Normally I don't worry about them so much because I don't find that they eat plants...but I do worry that their incessant tunneling maked the vole's work easier. I honestly don't think I could get rid of them if I tried, though...there are just too many now. And I have to admit, we once had a chipmunk family- mom and babies- in a hole outside our bedroom window. I used to watch the mom head out and bring back food for her babies. We used to try trap and relocation, but it bothered me to think that we would catch a mom and relocate her away from her babies. I'm a softie, I know! For the most part, they really don't bother me or the plants. I don't grow bulbs, and the biggest problem I had with the chippers was them stealing all the Sluggo, back when I still used it.

Here are a couple recent pics
My favorite combo in the whole garden is these three greens. I am just loving Lily Pad.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8650390

Misty Lace Aruncus is a "dwarf" but is pretty darn tall in bloom! It's past peak now, so I will cut off the scapes and free Liberty soon.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8650577

I did all my chipmunk trapping in the early spring from the minute I heard them out there "chipping." My hope was that I'd catch them before they mated so I wouldn't separate a mom from young. It seems to have worked--I hear no chipmunk calls at all and haven't seen any. I caught 6 in total, and the neighbor caught quite a few, too.

I had my greyhounds catch a rabbit mom early this spring, and that was pretty heartbreaking for me...but it was completely traumatic when our little shiba inu, Toshi, found all the babies and started hauling them out of their nest one by one while they screamed. He didn't hurt a single one, but they all died from the shock. :(

Off of that awful topic now...

I love the Aruncus! I had some in my backyard that looked pretty last year, but this year it seems to have vanished. I suspect maybe the dogs trampled it when it was just coming up in spring and it didn't recover.

I also really love that combination with 'Lily Pad.' So pretty! I just can't seem to figure out how I want to lay out my hosta garden. I'll see lush, crowded beds and think, "Yes, that's what I want! Hostas everywhere!" but then I'll see how nice your hostas are spaced in that shot and think, "Ugh! My bed's way too crowded." lol
beaux
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8650819

...sigh...Noreaster - your beds are gorgeous... thanks for sharing!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8652456

Noreaster, you have the most beautiful beds I have ever saw and greatest selection of plants. I never saw 'Remember Me' before, now I want one and it is on my list.
About your Big Boy, I was reading about this one lady who plants her hostas in pots so the tree roots will not grow through the hosta roots, once that happens they just go down hill no matter what you do. Have you ever heard such a thing?
The picture before the one with the misty lace, what are the two upright green hostas with the white edges, beautiful! Which one is Lilly Pad?
I love Liberty and I just ordered one! I also ordered Band of Gold and Dream Queen. I am so excited!
By the way , we have all seen Liberty in the shade , but have you ever seen Liberty in Full sun? Well maybe about three hours of evening sun. Picture is my neighbors Liberty in full sun, slightly only slightly scorched, but she said that's because she has not watered it in a long time. My camera foged up because it was inside the Air Conditioning and it was about 92 outside and I never thought of that before. :(

Thumbnail by virginiarose

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8652542

thanks, ladies.

Kayly, my beds are really filling out this year...I'm quickly losing my space in there to tip toe around, which is bad for my slug hunting! I know what you mean, though. Those pics people post of the hosta tours where there is just a vast sea of hosta is pretty inspiring. I guess for my small yard, I prefer to have a little more space between them so that I can still appreciate them as individuals. I guess I try to plant so that they will all just touch at maturity...not really overlap. Sometimes I know I'm not spacing them with enough room, but I just hope for slow growth and then I'll deal with moving them when the time comes. Some are obliging me with the slow growth!

Virginiarose, I have heard of planting in pots and in fact have started doing that in many parts of my garden- using either pots of root control "Agroliner" bags that hosta people use specifically for growing them in areas of heavy root competition. My main reason for using pots in the ground now is the voles. I just don't want to lose any more to them. But if Big Daddy comes up small again next Spring, it's going into a pot or a bag, for sure.

The two upright hosta with the white edges are Tom Schmid- they are very elegant. I ended up with two because I found a huge one locally shortly after I had mail ordered a smaller division. The mail order one is now catching up well to the larger one. I know you're not supposed to have even numbers in garden, but I do like those as a pair, for some reason. Lily pad is the shiny green one in that same pic. It's thick and shiny with a slight wave to the edge and catches my eye every time I'm out there. I'm really into the shiny ones now. That's how it goes- one year I'm into ruffles, one year cups, now it's shine. Gotta have some shine!

That Liberty is wonderful! Wow, look at those edges. I don't think mine will ever have super wide edges like that. I'm thinking that could be related to sun light, because I notice that one of my REgal Splendors, which has always had fairly thin margins, has much wider white margins this year after the guy in the back cut all his trees down, which gives RS a good chunk of full sun til about noon.

Here are the two Tom Schmids

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 7:52 PM

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8652553

Kayly, that is sad about the bunnies...but dogs will be dogs, I guess. Mickey will chase the chipmunks if they come too close, but that's about it. When Seamus was alive, the chpmunks would practically pose for pics with him, lol. My sweet boy had zero prey drive.

I really love the aruncus...It just blooms so well in pretty much full shade, and not much water...it doesn't pout like my astilbe when it gets dry. I'm just shocked at how big it got, but I guess it's still much smaller than the regular aruncus. Here's a pic of the full bloom.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8652554

Here is a side shot of the new bed with "Little Daddy" ;) in the background.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8652755

Thank you so much Noreaster, love the Tom Schmid!! I have seen that name before but had no clue as to how beautiful it is, and coincidentally I am looking for a couple of upright hostas, I just think they look awesome!
I saw your 'Little Daddy' in the background, what is the turquoise Hosta in the front? Looks like it's buried in a pot too!
Thanks for telling me about Agroliner, I will have to check into that because my shade is from birch trees and the roots are very invasive.
OH, I almost forgot to tell you that I bought a very interesting Hosta this morning, It is called 'Dragon's Eye' I bought it because it is very upright almost looked like Elephant Ears!! :)

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8654756

Virginiarose, your neighbor's 'Liberty' really is a stunner!

'Tom Schmid' is a hosta I've been eyeing a lot this year. If I see it somewhere (maybe at the Midwest Regional Convention in a couple weeks) I'll likely pick it up. I love a classy vase-shaped hosta.

Noreaster, I do agree that dogs will be dogs. I never get mad at my pups for just doing what comes naturally, although I admit it's distressing for me to have to...clean up after them. :(

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8654784

Dragon's Eye looks nice! I am liking the visible purple scapes so much on Shimmy Shake, that I am thinking I need to squeeze in another more upright one with the colored petioles in the top tier. hm.

the hosta in the foreground is Silver Moon, and yes, it's in an Agroliner bag which I had left from last year. I'm putting a lot of the new bed in those bags primarily because I tend to move things around and until I know where I want things permanently, that will make it easier. Root competition should not be an issue in that bed, at least.

Kayly, at least dogs aren't like cats! Dogs just give it a shake and then it's dead, for the most part. I work part time sometimes for a friend with a silkscreen shop and she has a cat there that likes to bring me presents of HALF dead chipmunks and birds while I work. Then he finishes them off in front of me, all proud of himself. I always scream for my friend to come clean it up!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8655167

Thanks Noreaster, I was noticing something I have never seen before and I will try to work a few in my self, but you are actually using stone pots as part of the edging. What an amazing idea! I love that.
Around my area some people have Moles, they tunnel under ground and dig holes. I have read that they eat grubs. Is that what you have? Why do they call the Voles in the north?
What is a Chipmunk? Do you have a picture?
If I had Chipmunks or Voles, I would definetly have a cat or two. They do a great job cleaning up the yard!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8655183

KaylyRed, My neighbor has four like that down the side of the house, there are Hydrangea's planted between them, I'm thinking, WOW, the hostas are as big as the bushes!
I was wanting a Tom Schmid also, just ordered one from Hallsons, He was the only mail order that had one, besides a guy on eBay who lives in Europe, no thanks. Isn't it related to Regal Splenda? I already have one of those, it's just a small one buy I think they will end up side by side along with my new Krossa Regal that I ordered. Also by mistake I bought a Elegans, the tag said Francis Williams, but when I looked at the receipt it said Elegans and also Elegans was on the side of the pot. Get this , I ordered a 'Francis Williams' from a mail order and they mistakenly sent me 'Francee'.
I keep wondering if I will ever get a Francis Williams. :(
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8655263

I know, cats are great for keeping rodents under control- unless you get a lazy one, which would be just my luck. Alas, both of us are terribly allergic to them.

I think we have a mole in the front yard but it's voles in the back that concern me. Voles are field mice, and they dig small tunnels and eat the roots of the plant from below while you have no idea it's happening. My dry stacked stone edging in most of my beds has given them easy access points. They also like to burrow under wood chip mulch...anything "loose" to dig through is what they like.

Here is a chipmunk stuffing his face with Sluggo, back when I used to use that. This picture is from 2008, and I believe that hosta in the pot is my Remember Me, pictured earlier in the thread.

I'm sure your Tom Schmid from Hallsons will be great...that's always my first choice to get something, if they carry it. And I'd rather have Elegans than Frances Williams. FW was ugly for me every year and I finally gave it to my father in law, who doesn't care about those brown splotches.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 8:28 AM

Thumbnail by Noreaster

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8655305

LOL, I am allergic to them too. I took in two cats a few years back and they stayed outside. They slept in the shed, they loved it and thought it was their own house.
Anyway, I really love your concrete planters, did you make them? I love 'Remember Me' it is on my wish list. Thanks for the advice about Frances Williams, I really don't need one now because I have so many other big ones.

Also I forgot to ask you about your circle garden in front of your neighbors Rodies. What is the mass planting in the front and what is the large upright to the right of pic but to the left of a large Hosta which is not upright but is very big? This circle garden is just stunning by the way, it is good inspiration for me.
50glee
Huntersville, NC

June 26, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8655691

Wow Norester I'm glad to see your garden has revived from the horrific storm!

Beautiful gardening indeed!

I've gave up on such things in this yard here: clay too hard and too many compacted tree roots.
I can BARELY get 4 - 6 inches depth! I need cages as anti mole/vole devices. Then squirrels want to dig it up!
And my back says: "No!"

But drooling over your garden permits me to enjoy, as often as I can!

Thank you for sharing!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8655860

Hah! I could barely see that chipmunk in there eating the Sluggo, Noreaster. That's hilarious. (Well, it is as long as he's not digging in your beds.) I discovered that chipmunks seem to love the buds of tricyrtis (toad lily). Mine were just about to bloom--something I look forward to every fall--and the darn chipmunks ate the buds. And I know it was them because I caught them doing it, the little buggers!

Virginiarose--I'm with Noreaster on 'Frances Williams.' Mine isn't a favorite. It's in a nicely sheltered full shade location and I still get brown spots. It's pretty ugly. My mom has one that isn't much better. I keep mine because it's in a low profile spot and just serves as filler there. You might look for 'Olive Bailey Langdon,' which looks nearly identical but doesn't get the springtime dessication.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8655907

Thank You for that because I just ordered an 'Olive Bailey Langdon' yesterday! I will forget about ' Francis Williams'. It's just kinda funny I tried twice to buy it and ended up with something I knew nothing about. I am glad I got the Elegan's and I am glad I got Francee, the flowers are beautiful on Francee and Elegan's will end up being a good centerpiece for my Hosta garden. :)
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8656350

Chipmunks or Squirrels ruined the flower buds on my Rodgersia last year...they just snapped them clean off.

I don't have Olive Bailey Langdon, which I hear is great, but I have Tokudma Flavocircinalis, which I think is supposed to look like a smaller Frances Williams. That one also does not get ugly, but has the same lovely FW color pattern.

Thanks, 50glee!

Virginiarose, the mass planting at the front of the circular bed is Lily of the Valley. Not planted by me but tamed as best I can. It's an ongoing chore that I don't mind because I do really like the look of a large swath of groundcover.

I think the hosta you are asking about is Regal Splendor, next to Thunderbolt. That's my oldest hosta and first plant I ever bought, purchased in '05. Thunderbolt is really spreading out. I think it is as wider as RS as of today. Eventually I plan to move a large, upright gold one behind those two.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8656389

They sure are beautiful, thanks for the pic. I like your lily of the valley, You say you have to tame it. Is it invasive or does it just multiply quick? What kind of coral bells do you have? It's a nice contrast with the Hosta's. Nice punch of color, I like that! :)
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8668024

Noreaster, your hostas are beautiful. Just acquired 'Blue Hawaii'. Glad to see yours is keeping its blue, despite the increase in sunshine. Have tried to get 'Tom Schmid' but have not been able to find it. Yours are absolutely stately and gorgeous.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8668358

I just bought 'Tom Schmid' from Hallson's he is the only one in United States that has them right now. Only other guy is on eBay and he is in Europe. I am getting ready to post a picture I just planted mine last night and it is my favorite Hosta for today. Then I have to get out of here and plant some more after dinner.

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8673279

virginia, Lily of the Valley is considered pretty thuggish. It spreads by underground runners and those roots are deep. At least they are for me. When the previous owners planted it, they just stuck it in the ground...no "garden bed", exactly. So the roots twine under many rocks and roots that our yard is filled with, making removing it a real chore.

Well, we had another big storm last night while I was driving back from Connecticut, after dropping off my neice and nephew and mom after a short visit here. Todd was home and said he was really scared it was a small tornado. My larger Regal Splendor has a lot of snapped petioles, but the rest of the garden is in surprisingly good shape, considering. I'm glad my family got to see it this year when it was looking good, and glad I wasn't here to freak out while it happened.

The kids were fascinated with my slug routine and helped with that. I told them that I don't enjoy killing anything, but it's either the slugs or my garden. To which my niece responded "and you choose the garden". Yep, darn right. My niece was so cute about the ferns, too. She loves ferns and moss. I told her it was a matter of time before she falls in love with hosta.

That Tom Schmid looks great- I think you'll be pleased with the growth rate.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8673357

Thanks for the information, I will skip the LOV. I love the Tom Schmid and the Regal Splendor and also Queen of the seas. Well, I go crazy when I see a big upright Hosta! I have decided to buy four more big ones from Hallson's so I can get started on the Hosta Garden.
I'm getting a bigger 'Sagae', a' Montana', and' Key West' to anchor down the garden then I would like to do half moons with the medium and small Hosta. ( I got a lot of my ideas from you and Frank ) Thanks so much for the time you spend here It is very helpful to people like me. Especially the pictures so keep them coming !
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8673640

I have Lily of the Valley, but thankfully the previous owners (actually, I think the previous previous owners) planted it so that it's very well contained. They have it surrounding a maple tree, and the tree is edged with rocks, then with a stone path around that (there's landscape fabric beneath the stone.) The other area where they planted it has it going around an arborvitae, surrounded by stone edging again, and then cut off from getting out of control by a sidewalk that wraps around it.

Those are about the only circumstances under which I'd consider letting Lily of the Valley live here in my yard. And even with this Fort Knox containment the occasional runner escapes and a plant pokes its head through the stone path around the one tree. It's very persistent stuff!

That said, there are a couple of existing hostas in the bed under the maple and they've been there forever and look fine. They have both a red maple and a bunch of convillaria to deal with and still they come up large and strong every year. Go figure.

Here's H. ventricosa 'Aureomarginata' in the convillaria patch. :P

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8674044

noreaster great photo's of your gardens. my thunderbolt is about half of what yours looks like, hope mine grows been in the ground maybe 4-5 years so far.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8674586

Noreaster, What is the big beautiful Hosta in the middle and what is the upright one behind it ??
Post #8623022
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8674669

I'm thinking that's 'Thunderbolt' and 'Regal Splendor.' (I'm not Noreaster, but I just want to see if I'm right. lol)
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8674685

Yes, those are the ones. That is the Regal Splendor that got damaged last night. I'll try to splint what I can but I expect many of the broken leaves to go brown soon.

Thanks Bill- nice to see you on the hosta board. I really don't know why my Thunderbolt does so well...I feel lucky with that one.

Kayly, nice to know things can thrive even with LOTV and maples to contend with. I try to keep my LOTV under control by a buried plastic barrier around the perimeter. Some do sneak under it, but I can deal with that.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8674743

i have been getting a lot of hosta so i figured i should spend a little time here noreaster. i just moved my thunderbolt to another bed because it was too close to eskimo pie which look almost exactly the same.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8674752

Maybe your Thunderbolt will like it's new bed. Does it really look much like Eskimo Pie? I have a young one of that is much more white in the center than Thunderbolt, but it's still immature. I will probably end up giving it to my Father in Law because I'm not sure I have a place for it. And slugs ate it, making it look awful right now. I've heard that's a picky one, too.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8674766

if you look at the pic's on the hostalibrary.org they are pretty close. in my yard i could not tell the difference - one is supposed to have wider varigation and whiter again not here - love them both though

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8680573

Good guess KaylyRed ! I love them both and I am now hooked on 'Thunderbolt' !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America