Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Recent pics of my garden

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I wanted to share some- things seem to be evolving daily and I still have so much to do out there.

Queen of the Seas today..very tall and pretty right now

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Liberty and Big Daddy from today. Big Daddy has been disappointing to me. It's smaller this year and is five years old...I want it to get bigger!

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Early evening shot of Guardian Angel overlooking Parhelion, Elegans, and Regal Splendor. This was the worst hit last year with the storm and everything is back bigger and better than ever.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looking great, Noreaster. And your Liberty is looking really good even if Big Daddy is slower.

Thunderbolt...my very favorite. I feel like it doesn't photograph well but it's huge this year and catches my eye all the time. Up front are blue mouse ears, Mighty Mouse in the pot, and Maui Buttercups

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Here is a shot of that whole bed, with Thunderbolt on the right and Lily of the Valley in full bloom

Thumbnail by Noreaster

over on the left of that bed is the start of the new bed where the tree fell last year. I have it marked off with tape- I am working on constructing a tiered wall out of real stone and some man made (ok, woman made- me!- "stones"). The hosta that several DG'ers so generously sent me last year will be going here.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Earlier this Spring I reworked my fountain, bringing it forward and making a larger hypertufa millstone. It was a lot of work, but I love the results...it's more of a focal point now.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

The hosta around the fountain area are Aliyah's Grace, My cup of Tea (horribly slow grower), Little Treasure in the pot, Deep Blue Sea still unfurling, Americana, Winfield Blue, and Paul's Glory in the very back

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Two I absolutely love- and they are just solid green! Manhattan in the middle and Lily Pad (thanks again, Rose!)

Thumbnail by Noreaster

This one is stunning this year, and is twice the size of the other one I have. It's my mission to keep it safe from slugs

Remember Me

Thumbnail by Noreaster

June Moon showing some good puckering. This seems to be the year that a lot of mine are getting more mature looking leaves

Thumbnail by Noreaster

bed with Heatwave (starts out real frosty looking), Rosedale Spoons, Tom Schmid (x2) and Manhattan

Thumbnail by Noreaster

small bed with Barbara Ann, June, and Silver moon in the pot. Barbara Ann did the drawstringing thing again, which is a huge bummer. So did El Nino. I think it was all the rain....neither did it last year, which was a much drier Spring. Silver Moon was new last year and increased tremendously! there is almost no info online about it so I have no idea what to expect. June has bigger leaves and just always looks good.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice Remember Me. How long have you had it?

And speaking of drawstring, my Karin is showing bad signs of it this year.

Thanks, Ann. I think Remember Me is five years old now...maybe 4. Almost all my white edged ones looks lousy this year.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Noreaster,

I always enjoy your pictures of your gardens. I wish I had the knack and the back to do all of the stone work that you add to your beds! They look so pretty and interesting.

June Moon is going on my wish list!

Rose

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Noreaster, your hostas are just beautiful. Gives me hope that my storm damaged babies will come back fine next year and look beautiful again. (They're standing up straighter now and starting to get new leaves, so already they don't look quite as awful as they did just after the storm.)

I know I've said it before, but your 'Thunderbolt' is the reason I bought one this year--it's amazing. Have you found it to be a reasonably fast grower? I've heard that it is. Mine's a single eye but already very attractive. I can't wait for the day it's even half as nice as yours.

I'm sure you don't get sick of hearing this, so I'll say it again--your hosta beds are gorgeous. I love the design, stone work, the fountain, everything. I'd be in hosta heaven in a yard like yours. :)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Absolutely stunning!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Noreaster, your garden is indeed stunning. Thanks for sharing. I love your new fountain, in fact love it all.

But where is a shot of you all kitted out wearing your headlamp and holding your lethal spray bottle out in the dead of the night and sneaking around trying to kill those nasty slimy evil slugs? Priceless. Patti

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Noreaster
Thank you for the tour! I enjoyed seeing your yard and love your fountain stone. You have given me some great ideas.
Alberta Ann

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Everything is looking fantastic! Great job on the fountain!

Thanks, everyone. I'll post some updated pics soon...my FIL is coming over tomorrow to help me work on the tiers for the new bed on the slope where the tree was.

Patti, no pics of me in my slug gear exist- I am very fast and stealthy! The slug hunting is going very well, actually. I haven't even been going out every night and things are in great shape. I tell you, they love that lettuce and will eat every scrap of it. The only thing I notice is that the pill bug compete with the slugs for it.

Here are a few from the past few days.

Stained Glass at twilight...this one does get slug damage. Next year it gets a copper collar for sure. Blue Hawaii looking frosty behind it. This bed now gets a lot of morning sun since the guy behind us cut all his trees out. I'm trying to get some vines going on the fence to keep Blue Hawaii Blue

Thumbnail by Noreaster

The other neighbors' rhodies in bloom behind our fence

Thumbnail by Noreaster

North side bed shot

Thumbnail by Noreaster

My baby- Thunderbolt again. This one stands out to me from wherever I am in the yard, and even the kitchen window...it seems to look better every day. I said to my husband the other day, "Todd, doesn't Thunderbolt look amazing?" And he said, "They have names?" I think he must have thought I have pet nicknames for them all, lol

Kayly, it has a reputation for being slow and/or difficult but hasn't been that way for me. It was a little slow, but has grown noticably every year.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

High Society is such a pretty little thing

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Manhattan, another fave. Christina, I hope your Manhattan is doing well!

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Mister Watson, behind Thunderbolt. Probably gonna replace this one with a bigger one because it will be hidden by Thunderbolt soon. I like the texture of this one a lot.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Wider top shot of that bed

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Here is the other Remember Me, also doing quite well despite pretty bad conditions with that birch. Love Pat, too. I've got white bridal veil astilbe in there behind Love Pat that is covered with buds right now and for the first year the horrid tarnished plant bug seems to NOT be destroying them, knock on wood. So I should have a pretty show and I'll post pics when they bloom.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Just lovely! Manhattan is doing very well. I love the texture of it! Thanks again!! I wish I had written down the names of the NOIDs that you helped me identify when you were here. I should have known better than to think I will remember!

These three were flattened by the storm last year and we had a close call yesterday. The sky went black and the winds got all crazy and my husband I both thought we were in for a repeat performance. luckily, no hail this time. The wind did bend them all back and mess up Parhelion again, but nothing is snapped, so that's good. Here is a shot before the storm. I have three Parhelions, all in what I consider well protected spots, and they all get trashed in the wind. I'm starting to think the super big leaved ones are just not worth it.

I still think Regal Splendor is a bit smaller this year and saw a hole nearby- not sure if it's a vole hole or chipmunks

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Lakeside April Snow. Another one that must be protected from the slugs at all costs!!!

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Your garden is beautiful. It is nice seeing it again in all of its' glory!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Amazing, Noreaster!

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

just beautiful.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Noreaster, have you had chipmunks dig under your hostas? We had a bunch of them here in the yard but I started trapping and relocating them early this spring before they could breed. They seem to be gone now, which is surprising--I thought I'd never get rid of them. But I went to Amazon and ordered a little chipmunk trap called Happy Trap and caught about 5 of them plus one mouse and a couple of sparrows. I relocated them all to a spot near the river but over a mile away from my house. My kids now refer to the spot as Chipmunk Haven.

Kayly, I do have a ton of chipmunks and they are currently tunneling under my north side bed, which is also known as "the vole bed". Normally I don't worry about them so much because I don't find that they eat plants....but I do worry that their incessant tunneling maked the vole's work easier. I honestly don't think I could get rid of them if I tried, though...there are just too many now. And I have to admit, we once had a chipmunk family- mom and babies- in a hole outside our bedroom window. I used to watch the mom head out and bring back food for her babies. We used to try trap and relocation, but it bothered me to think that we would catch a mom and relocate her away from her babies. I'm a softie, I know! For the most part, they really don't bother me or the plants. I don't grow bulbs, and the biggest problem I had with the chippers was them stealing all the Sluggo, back when I still used it.

Here are a couple recent pics
My favorite combo in the whole garden is these three greens. I am just loving Lily Pad.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Misty Lace Aruncus is a "dwarf" but is pretty darn tall in bloom! It's past peak now, so I will cut off the scapes and free Liberty soon.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.