Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Did I kill it?

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Debop
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8598346

Today I was re potting my very first AV(a NOID) and I snapped it right off the root ball! Can I pot the crown? I put the root with about 1/2 inch stalk back into it's pot.I'm going to try growing it from a few leaves but I figured I'd done enough harm for one day.Any hope for me?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 31, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8598568

It may come back. I might have dusted the base of that stem with some rooting hormone but you may be o.k. Give it some time and do start some of those leaves just in case!
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8598884

The smartes thing to do is to remove all but a few of the leaves, pot the crown and dome it. Put it away from the sun in a bright spot. They usually root within a few weeks and then resume growth. The stump in the pot might take a few weeks longer than the crown but will usually send up one or more crowns which can (and shoul) be removed once big enough and potted seperately. From all the leaves that you removed initially, pick the healthiest ones that are not too old and cut the leaf stalk (petiole) to about an inch length on a 45 degree angle and pot up. Cover. Put in a bright spot away from the sun and wait.

Don't worry. You can do this today. Not a problem. There are no roots yet on the crown that you can disturb. Removing all but a few leaves prevents dehydration of the rest of the crown. You will actually do your plant a favor :)

Hope that helped!

Olaf

P.S.: There are some cool, instructional videos on that matter on YouTube

Check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/m3rma1d#p/a/u/2/3E41MZG8Keg

Debop
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8605292

Thanks for the "How To" tips.The You Tube video's were a great help;I'm much more of a visual learner.I was able to save 4 leaves,the root ball + stem, and the crown. The plant originally came as a sucker from my sister's plant so if I fail all is not lost.
Thanks again.
Debby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America