Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: My queen died! New beekeeper is panicking!

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8599551

Hi-

I think I've done everything right (but clearly I did something wrong)...

I have a langstrom hive, installed a new colony of bees April 30th. That queen died, so I put a new queen in the hive on 5/7.
I checked her on the 10th, and she was out of her cage and doing great.
I checked the hive on the 20th, found lots of larvae, and about 1/2 the frames had been drawn.
I checked the hive yesterday -- no larvae, no eggs, but lots of capped brood and two supercedure cells are now empty.

I'm pretty sure she died (probably because I squished her between frames on the 20th), but has the hive already solved the problem? How long until I need to find and purchase a new queen?

What do I do? My beekeepers association doesn't meet until next week...
muradulislam
Mansehra
Pakistan
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8600842

hello,
if you can, wait for a week, during this time queen will mate with drones and start laying eggs if one is in there, usually it takes 5,6 days so if you can be patient observe your hive after a week for eggs laid by the queen. If queen is not there at all, then u can order a queen after a week, i think shipment will take 1,2 days. until then ur bees are okay. no need to panic. Hope this helps.
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8601588

yes, thank you!

I like that we can talk bees from California to Pakistan!
BeDoolallytapt
Wakefield
United Kingdom

September 3, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8791297

I lost my Queen recently, thanks to the pesky wasps. I had, however a small swarm & I've united them.

There was a bit of fighting, but they have now settled. I am 1 happy bunny! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America