Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: New bees - friends new and old come on in! 5/31/2011

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 159, Views: 1,088
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 31, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8600255

Here is a new thread!
This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174152/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

and here are my hollyhocks today

This message was edited May 31, 2011 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by enidcandles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 31, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8600274

RRM - you had asked about my succulents - here they are

Thumbnail by enidcandles

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8600440

I am so glad that everyone had a great weekend. Jan, I will take some pictures tomorrow of DH's trout on the wall and post them. We really do have awesome trout fishing! It was so wonderful of you both to teach him how to fish. I really believe that simple things like that are truly the best gifts we can give our youth! We gave the twins, now 3 years old, fishing poles for their birthday this year, and are just waiting for the weather to get warm enough to take them out. ;-)
It will be great fun!

Crit, you must be psychic! Just got in from work, and have received an email from DG saying my membership has been paid for a year. Don't know who the kind soul was who was generous enough to do that for me, but am truly grateful! Love my friends here! Thanks so much! It was the best news! The generosity and kindnesses of all the great people here are absolutely touching, and have truly changed my life for the better. I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 31, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8600446

thanks enid we needed a new thread nettie i still only have one of the new day lily s blooming. im like a child waiting for bloom.be nice when trhey bloom [ove nettie.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8600502

Nettie, don't feel bad, we are still waiting here for our lilacs to bloom, lol! We seem to be really late this year, due to the cold dreary spring we've been having. Heck, my lilacs haven't even leafed out yet! Today turned out sunny, so that should help, and we are supposed to have a relatively sunny week now, so things should speed up. Sure hope I can find some time to get out to the flower beds and get some weeding and stuff done. I need to get some seeds in still!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 31, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8600537

Wow! That just makes me want to come to Wyoming! Everything was late here this year too - my morning glory vines are just now starting to reach up - it will be July before my trellis is covered.
How I wish I could see the lilacs bloom again! I don't have a bush but my neighbor does so I bring in the blooms on my side of the fence. LOL
So glad you will be staying with us!

Nettie - my new daylilies won't be blooming this year. I had to move them and now they are kinda mad at me!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 31, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8600540

mekos atwoods said they didn,t get any of the stevia this year ill be back in ft.smiyh this weekend ill go check a couple of other places. may find one later on. if i can,t find one you may have to send me one. nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 31, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8600595

got me a new desert rose lost myne last year in the greenhouse mess. hope that never happens again. bad waist of time and money. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8600610

Nettie, I'll be happy to send you Stevia, I am forgetful at times and ya have to remind me but I have plenty here and happy to share, I will ship later this week. Got to get a package ready for RRM too.
Keeping Kaylee wears me out and this week is my first time without her except while I was sick. I will have 3 months before she is back, so maybe now I can get stuff done. (It is really hard to do stuff dragging a baby around.)
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 31, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8600626

You'll find it funny when I get pictures up, hopefully tomorrow, assuming the weather co-operates! It sometimes seems like it takes a long time for spring to show up, but when it finally does, things move quickly! The plants know that they only have a short time to share their beauty with us, it seems, so they really kick into high gear!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 31, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8600650

thank you mekos take your time im fine. dh tells me i am so i must be love and hugs nettie.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 12:13 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8601342

Great picture Lori. thanks. They are looking good.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8602016

I bought another pail full of hens and chicken at a local yard sale for just $5, I've been dividing and planting them all over the place. The original pail was badly broken, but it had a huge amount of plants.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8602036

Prolific little fellers, ain';t they?? Cute, Al. I love them.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8602905

Cute Al! Gotta love those kinds of yard sales! Wish more people around here would sell their yards, lol! some of them are so nice!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8602957

Hi Al, those are cute! I have some in my yard and the varmits always digging in the pot and digging them out to the ground. Grrrrrrr! One of these days! (With a glazed crazed look in my eyes)!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8603001

Well, my birdseed bandit is back again. This time he's actually tipping the feeder upside down to empty the seed out! He can dump the whole thing in a couple of minutes or so. I was thinking of filling it with hot Italian pepper flakes just to get even with him, but I don't know what that would do for the birds. I've already tried to grease the pole with Crisco but he seems to be jumping from a tree branch nearby.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8603022

Them nasty little monsters! Grrrrrr!
Did that scare him off, Al?
enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 1, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8603216

Ah, the poor little hungry fella!

Here is my bird feeder - squirrles can't get to it!

But what a sad looking site - that was taken May 1, 2010.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 1, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8603222

Here is is May 13, 2011 - in the same spot!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8603446

Very good, girl. Al squirrels are pesky like that and so funny. They are desperate little bandits..
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 3, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8607598

al you are gona have hens and chicks all over your yard. better love thoses little long tail monsters we can,t do anything with these here, idon,t pick up pecans anymore they start on the tree before they are ready to fall. i just wish they wouldn,t put them in my flower beds they put down roots real fast, and they are hard to get out. can,t pull them at all. just hsve to live with them. they were here first. hope you all have a bood night and a better day tomorrow. love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 6, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8614471

ok sll you good people im going to bed be good im beat going to bed love and hugs to all nettie.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 7, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8615423

Here are my hollyhocks today - they sure are pretty!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 7, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8615473

And my Red Velvet Lily - I think I am in love!

Thumbnail by enidcandles

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8616096

Gorgeous Lori! Love the red lily
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8619158

OK where is everyone hiding?
I want to tell you all something. I found Facebook a few weeks ago and I started sending friend requests to find friends to chat with and I found 2 names I recognized Little Nettie and LaVonne, Marti's sister. I sent requests and they both accepted about a month ago and we talk every couple days or so and a couple days ago I mentioned something about us here at DG and she (little nettie) wanted to know what was a DG? BIG EYES HERE!, Well I said you know over there at the garden club... Well she says she never heard of DG and never been here, Man how much bigger my eyes got. Well we had a laugh and she still wanted to be friends and so we are but yesterday I found out my LaVonne was having a birthday so I go tell everyone and we wish her a happy birthday with cakes and all and guess what, Marti's sister ain't having her birthday till later this month. Now here was another embarrassing moment. Imagine my surprise!
2 friends accepted friend requests without even knowing who I was at all. I totally felt so stupid. How often are ya gonna find THOSE 2 names and it NOT be the ones you know?
Well, how is everyone else doing?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8619600

Hi Jan - Weather has been HOT and I've been not so hot. It's been in the 90's here. I have to stay air conditioned because of previous heart problems, but we do get out some.

Our next music conference will be in Stowe, Vermont the week of June 19th, which coincedes with our 40th wedding anniversary. Yup - I've been married (to the same wife) for 40 years now. We'll be staying at the Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe, the original home of the family that was featured in "The Sound of Music" starring Julie Andrews. Vermont is also the home of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Paul Newman's Green Mountain Coffee Co., and Cabot's World Famous Cheese Factory. This is gonna be fun.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8619703

Wow we what a trip! All you need is chocolate and you will have it made...Yum!!!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8619756

They do have chocolate there, Charleen, but I think it's imported from Hershey, PA...

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8619879

Then you have it made, Al. Good for you...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8620861

Hi Al, that sounds awesome! How wonderful all this for your anniversary. That is great I know you will have a great time. Maybe it will be cooler up there for you. I have never been there but I hear it is a really pretty place. My sister and her husband travel a lot and go often.
I just try to stay inside right now in the air, it is close to 100 out there and not getting better. My poor plants are brown mostly. Did get a pretty Day lily bloom.
You all take care. Anyone heard from Nettie? Hope she is ok.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8620866

Another bloom but the sun is bright shining on it so color is off.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8620868

My watering can begonia.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8620871

Daylily.

Thumbnail by mekos

enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 9, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8621205

Beauties Mekos! I am starting to worry about Nettie - hope she didn't get snake bit out there.

I made a major, major mistake! I looked at some of the new iris intros at Rockytop...$45.00 per rhizome! And there are some I really, really want too - but for that kind of money I can buy a half a tank of gas!! LOL
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 9, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8621240

hi mekos how is the weather treating you. we need some rain going to do some watering in the morning. keep some of my older plants alive.im gona water the whole mess, wish i could go to bed and go to sleep but have smothing comming in the yard at night so the dogs bark and wake me up. probly a skunk or coon or smothing they don,t jike.may need to put cotton in my ear. love and hugs nettie enid some of my day lilies just droped the buds on the ground they need a drink im sure. have to watch the heat it does a job on me makes me run out of energy real fast. i just have to go real slow.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2011 9:09 PM

This message was edited Jun 9, 2011 9:39 PM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8622114

Hey! - I got a flying "Charley" in the mail today. He has an airplane on his hat! Thanks Charleen, I love him. I'll give him an airplane ride soon as I get a chance.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8622129

I'm so glad you like him. I was sort of scared you might not.
I took a picture of him, so I wouldn't forget. Now we need one of you wearing him...
so happy that you like him.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8623031

Hi Nettie, I was getting worried about you. Good to see you about, be careful in that heat and drink lots of fluids.
Congrats Al!
No way I could afford that kind of money for a flower!
Got a few more Day lily blooms and my Devil's Claw has got 2 claws on it. Yippie!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8623033

Nuther Daylily

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8623038

Daylily

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8623040

Rain lily

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8623043

Glads starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8623048

Cleopatra Canna lily

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8623052

Devil's Claw bloom

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8623055

Devil's Claw pod

And thank goodness we got rain today. Not much but sure was nice!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8623060

Last tonight. Daylily bloom

Thumbnail by mekos

enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 10, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8623144

Me either Mekos! I am as close to broke now as I have ever been, but I really really really want some of those new intros!

That sounds like an awesome trip Al! Do you need a driver or anything - I make a great chauffeur, and I am cheap! LOL
By the way Al, I had a volunteer New Yorker pop up...I don't know if it will survive though, when I was pulling weeds I pulled it up. I put it back but you know how that goes.

Hope you didn't get any of that wind we got last night Nettie! I lost shingles, my windmill and a few plants...the windmill got pretty twisted up and a couple of the fins are bent. I don't know if DH can fix it or not...I almost cried!

RRM - Charlie is so cool! I love the flying charlie you made for Al...you are getting really good at that! Oh, and I am sending your bug spray Monday...I was waiting to get some body spray base to use instead of Vodka...didn't want you to smell like an old drunk you know.

Well, gotta go make a meatloaf...DH is working harvest and will be home in a couple of hours.
Night all!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8623985

good, don't weant to smell like Vodka!!!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 11, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8623992

I was worried you would go to town after being in the yard and get arrested for being drunk! LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8623994

You never know what we will do, HUH?????
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8624186

Are you kidding? That's the reason I go on these trips, because I"M the chauffeur. Besides that I'm a cheap date, especially when all her expenses are already paid for. We do extend the trips with our own money to see other sights in the area when we can. When Ellen is working I sometimes have to sit around for 2 or 3 days at a time or tour something else close by.

I'd love to take the time to visit with you all sometime, but that is still down the road.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8624239

Poor Al. He suffers so! ☺ I bet you enjoy seeing all the different places and i wish your wife great luck...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8624279

We're headed to Burlington VT on Sunday June 19th, then Stowe on Monday and Tuesday. If things work out right, we may drive 200 miles South to Boston for three days before heading home. We have to be back by Saturday for another commitment. Now that I've got Charley to keep me company I'll be sure to take some pictures of him along the way.

Yeah - We both enjoy traveling, and it's been much better since she retired from teaching full time last January.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8624302

Alright. Nothing like taking your mule along on the trip. I am so happy you like him...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 11, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8624970

mekos i am fine we got rain today so i didn.t have to drag the water hose all day i feel real blessed. and rested i know it won,t last but ill enjoy it while it last.love and hugs nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 11, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8625026

enid i did have another snake very old black snake hr just came by on his way to the chicken houses he is harmeless just snake looking i try to mot kill rat catcher snakes just let them go on if you know what i mean. yard hasn,t burned bad yet. but i know it will if we don,t keep getting rain. cause i can,t keep draging that water hose around. our electric was off for about 3 hrs. tobay no air dishner they finaly turned it back on. rea can be slow but they have alot of line to check. i feel sory for the men who have to do that. sure glad they got it going again.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8625230

Glad you're safe Nettie, we were all worried about you. Try to stay out of this heat and keep hydrated.

Happy Sunday all!

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8626723

You too Al. Good to know you are ok Nettie, stay cool as possible and watch for those snakes.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 13, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8628842

just got back on going to have parker in the morning his mother has to take some kind of test over at alma i found him some wood sorrow bulbs on clearnce at southlands he will be so happy he loves flowers. if have the money i get things for him he loves just about any thing i find. sometimes he loves them to death but not often he will be a good gardener makes me feel good about helping him have things to plant al he gets some of the sun flower seed you sent they are over a foot tall and with the rain they will take off like crazy love and hugs nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 13, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8628859

crit it going to be a little longer before i send your walkin iris they are slow to grow for some reason they are usually ready a couple of weeks after they bloom wish they would get on with it. don,t won,t to cut them loose to soon.ill send as soon as they grow a little more im gona try and send enough to fill a hanging basket love nettie.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2011 10:15 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 13, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8628937

i found a orange cone fiower that branches like a sun flower the purple ones i have don,t branch hope this one does good and sets some seed it will brighten my yard up real good. i like cone flowers they usually take care of them selfs my kind of flower. nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8631991

Have fun Nettie, you're growing a wonderful gardener there! Bet he will make you proud.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8632397

DG been mighty quite this week. Wonder what is going on?? Gardening?????

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8632444

Hi peeps! Wow - I sure lost everyone there for a bit - lol... My Mom flew into town on the 27th and I was busy busy busy for the week she was here. Then trying to catch up on all my e-mails and DG and Cubits and Facebook it took me a while to find you.

Love all the pictures! I will get to live through all your pics for the summer when not much is blooming in the blazing desert. Mekos, love your Devil's Claw - yay!! They grow fast.

Al, your trip sounds lovely. Vermont is gorgeous and Stowe is a nice place to visit. It has been many years since I was there. Fall in Vermont is gorgeous with all the leaves changing colors, but this time of year will be very lovely! I'm jealous! I have been picking several Tom's from my little plant and they are yummy and happy. It's potted so should be able to make it happy enough even in the summer heat to give me some 'maters.

Yesterday was only the 3rd day all year we have broken 100 and it was a doozy - 108 an 110 for today... Then down to the low 100s. Usually by now we've been cooking for a while already. The nights/mornings are still nice - in the 70s - but that will soon be over too:o( I would like a little rain though;o)

Now that I found y'all I'll try and keep up!

Oy yeah - love the Charlie thingy Charleen;o) And Lori, if I paid that much for an Iris it would be sure to die in my care. Guaranteed! LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8632771

If I paid that much for an Iris, I would be the one to die. :

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8632782

I'd rather trade and get plants from my friends;o) Here's a pic of one of the DLs seray sent me... Jungle Beauty. It is really that dark and it's truly a beauty!

Thumbnail by locakelly

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8632917

That is AL"s airplane Charley. See the airplane on his helmet????
OOooooooo, that is beautiful..

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8632939

I do - he's real cute;o)
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8633259

I'm with you Jan! LOL! I would surely be the dead one if I spent that much on any flower, lol! Kelly, that DL is awesome! It is gorgeous! Love the dark color! Let me know when you are ready to divide it! Al, have a great time! Take lots of pictures please, because I've never been there, and can't wait to see what I miss! Al, your Charley is adorable! I love mine! I'm sure that you will give Charley a wonderful home, teeheehee! How lucky that he gets to travel and fly with you! Charlene, they just keep getting cuter and cuter! Nice job Sweetie! They look great!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8633298

I'll keep you in mind Sandi;o) It is a dormant so should do fine in the frozen tundra you call home - lol.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8633340

LOL! Gosh, we haven't had a frost for a couple of weeks now! Things are growing, and my lilacs are finally blooming! Still putting in some seeds though. Sure hope winter is as late as spring was coming, so that things have time to put on seeds, lol!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8633349

Good luck! LOL I know your seasons are so short for growing. I miss Lilacs the most I think. Can't grow 'em here.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 15, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8633350

the heat is probly what is slowing people down it makes you not want to do anything. i just walked around the house this afternoon and was happy to go back in the house. i remember a time when the heat didn,t bother me but it sure does now.they say we are going to get some more rain that would be nice. love nettie

This message was edited Jun 15, 2011 10:55 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8636543

Beautiful Kelly. Mine just bloomed too. Yall remember the day lily stalk that got broke and kept truckin... well here she is in all her glory, finally bloomed. I got a couple pictures that are so much better but can't get them to down load from the little card to the computer for some reason. It is same as yours Kelly. But the light here was not good and it doesn't look as dark. The other pictures were gorgeous!

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8637190

I love that DL mekos - your pic isn't too bad... I can see it is the same one.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8637238

Must be a popular rascal. I got one similiar to yours...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8637247

Hee hee hee Charleen - very pretty;o) I got a box of DLs today and Music Man was in there... It is a pretty red like your picture... So I'll be soaking and potting up DLs this weekend - lol.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 17, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8637734

if i paid that much for a plant dh would kill me. i wouldn,t have to wory about killing it iwould not know weather it lives or not . enid don,t do it. love nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8639061

Well, Charley and I had an early Father's Day at Finger Lakes Race track near Rochester today. The kids took us out to lunch at the Clubhouse Terrace resturant while we watched the racecard above the beautiful track.

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8639071

We even got to bet on a horse called "Special Al". Unfortunately for us he didn't get too lucky today.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2011 7:49 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8639097

Charley had a special interest in the three year old Maiden and Filly race in the seventh, just couldn't tear him away. He didn't get very lucky either, these ladies were far faster than he could keep up with and Charley sort of got left in the dust!

We're off to Sowe VT on Sunday, will try to keep in touch while we go, back next week.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8639735

I am so glad Charley is going on trips. He has a grand view of everything. i bet he would have tried to keep up with those fillys if you let him go. His Mama was a horse and he loves them...Thank you Al, Charley and I are both enjoying your trip. Hugs and nuzzles...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8640019

Sweet! Charley is a trevelin' mule!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8640873

Look what I got to feed and play with this weekend.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8640879

My heart just melted when I saw this big boy!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8640884

We got caught in a bad storm and held up here for shelter. Wonderful people.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8640887

Al Sounds like yall are having fun and watch out for the storms.
Got my favorite 2 , a shirt , at Cherokee.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8640892

This one had the biggest bloom when I got home.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8640896

Here is that black again, different bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8640898

Another Day lily

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8640901

And another.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8640906

My Hibiscus is full of buds and starting to open.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8640909

This one has a more purple look to it.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8640915

And the last one blooming right now.

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8640944

Yeah! Mekos is back... Love the pictures. Baby is growing.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8641143

hey girl! I missed you so much! We'll talk tomorrow, I been trying to catch up tonight, but too much right now. Gotta do laundry first so catch you in the morning. I just got the mail you left me about putting the long ears on a diet, I know that is hard, they like to eat too much. Hugs and I love ya.

Thumbnail by mekos

okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 19, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8641214

Lycodad, while in Vermont try Lake Champlain Chocolate. Or cross the river at Bellows Falls to Walpole NH and try L.A. Burdick. Unbelievable and on your way to Boston:-) Here is a pic of my zone 4 garden today.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 10:03 PM

Thumbnail by okcrow

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8643248

Beautiful!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 20, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8643431

I agree! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8643449

Lovely pictures as always Miss Jan;o)

okcrow - I love your yard and your state. I grew up in Maine so love New England.

Here's a cute little Daylily bloom... This is MISS OZIE.

Thumbnail by locakelly

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 20, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8643733

Yep, that proves it! Gotta plant more day lilies.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8644340

We made it to Vermont at the Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe, beautiful place. Charley is having the time of his life, we're taking lots of photos.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8644531

Isn't it wonderful to have an escort mule to be with you AL. I am so happy you two are enjoying your trip. How's the wife doing???
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8645346

Sorry, I can't stay long or sent photos just yet, I'm on a shared hotel computer that doesn't do pictures. I'll catch up when we get home. All having a great time.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8645354

Glad you're having fun Al!!

Does anyone know what these are? My Mom in Maine is horticulturally challenged - lol. She bought these and the tag blew away in the tornado like storm they had... They look familiar but I can't place the name... I'm sure it's something that we could never grow here in AZ...

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8645429

Sorry Kelly, I don't have a clue. Looks a little like a phlox but I don't think it is.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 21, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8645511

Looks kinda like the weeds I pull up here every day LOL - I don't know what it is either!
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 21, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8645512

Glad that people like Vermont. It's for cheese lovers and chocolate lovers! And patient gardeners:-)

Here is a view of the Wedding Garden at out Inn.

Thumbnail by okcrow

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8645542

Hey that purple flower between the peonies looks like what Kelly wants to ID. Is is not?
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 21, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8645579

Don't think so. Mine is a geranium of uncertain parentage.

Here is another view in the above garden. Can anyone tell me the difference between Sibs and Japanese Iris other than bloom time?

Thumbnail by okcrow

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8645695

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_iris These are Japanese Iris-look at flower heads

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=siberian+iris+flowers These are Siberian Iris-look at the flower heads of these.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8645709

I got it IDed on the ID Forum:o)

Nemesia fruticans 'Blue Bird' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76711/

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8645758

Have you guys had a change in the format of the pages here? Where the advertisements use to be on the right side of the page, mine is now on the left. And it is weird.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8645769

It's some new thing they rolled out and I don't like it - at all... There is a thread in the Dave's Garden Forum where everyone, including me, is crying about it - lol. It makes my head hurt - lol.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8645938

Well good to know my puter isn't all messed up, that is what I was thinking till now. Thought I did something I shouldn't have.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8646044

LOL - that's what I thought yesterday so went to the Dave's Forum to see what was up and found out it was intentional!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 21, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8646171

think im going to bed night love and hugs to all nettie.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 12:17 AM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8646361

Hope everyone is having a great day today.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 23, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8650266

i am finaly home bill had a dr.app today went with him visit the book store. like doing that should be alot smarter as much as i like books but it doesn,t work that way if it did i would be smart the lap top i got for christmas has a book place but it hurts my eyes to look at the puter screen long enough to read a book. i will use it when i don,t have a choice.my son has a book reader he likes it. by the time he gets to my age he may hate it. love you people hope you all had a good day. nettie what is wrong with my puter screen? things are not where they should be.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2011 8:35 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2011

Post #8650343

I know Nettie, my screen is all messed up too. I don't like it at all.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 24, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8652767

mekos do you think a new thread would help.we could give it a try might work nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8653871

No Nettie, the DG people did this on purpose. They seem to like it better. I guess we just gotta get use to it.
Hope you are having a good day and everyone else. Bad storms the last few days, but nice today.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 25, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8654247

I don't like the new format either but I did manage to make it better. If you go into My Tools, you can choose what appears on your home page and where. I disabled everything and now only have the links I want to see on the left side, everything else is gone...no more ads!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

June 25, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8654254

It is My Tools then Customize Home Page...Hope that helps someone!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8654557

Hi Gang - We're back home again safe and sound. Everybody including Charley had a great week in Stowe VT and Boston MA

I'll dribble these pictures out a few at a time so all can see

This is the Von Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe we were at for two nights

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8654653

Al, that is so pretty! Must have been wonderful staying there! Glad you are back home and safe and had a great time!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8654694

The place was just covered with flower boxes and hangers everywhere. They had a team of 20 professional gardeners that had to keep the place watered, all by hand. This was the view of the valley from our room balcony.

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011

Post #8654719

Charley was having the time of his life, too. That's him between the two pillows and chocolate treats at the top of the feather bed.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8654771

Charley had this song he kept singing

"The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Mulesic", it had a "Hee Haw" ending...

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8654814

We also found some white Edelweiss flower in bloom in the mountains that inspired the song "Edelweiss" in The Sound of Music musical. It's a low growing hardy plant, almost a weed in this area. I'm not sure what the blue stuff is in the background.

Al

This message was edited Jun 25, 2011 10:44 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8655430

Oh, Al, How wonderful for Charley to have such a wonderful trip. I know you enjoyed it too.
Thank you for letting us see your trip theu your and Charley's eyes. ♥
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8655434

I agree Al, with Charleen. I love those pictures, it looks just heavenly there. Charley just looks so in love between those pillows! Such a pampered Mule. That last flower looks like our rabbit tobacco that grows wild here in this part of the country. People use to smoke it when they were out of tobacco. Glad you are back safe and sound and I sure enjoyed the trip and didn't even get tired. Yippie!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8656075

Here we are at the Waterbury train station in VT. Built in 1800's, it was restored by the Green Mountain Coffee Company as a cafe' and visitor center. It's still used as train depot by Amtrack with active routes to NYC and Washington DC. The Paul Newman family, and his daughter Nell, have some influence here with their organic coffee and other products.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8656094

We're taking a break from the afternoon heat (73 degrees) at the Green Mountain Cafe sipping a delicious iced coffee

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8656357

Charley helped us pick out this place to eat, too. We had some a**-kickin' burgers there for lunch!

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8657174

Oh, I love your Trip Al. Charley is a perfect partner for you to take on a trip. Love that Restarant.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8657376

Sorry Okcrow, I missed your first post about the Lake Champlain Chocolate Company. Their hub store was right across the plaza from the Cabot Cheese outlet. They had good stuff indeed, as my wife Ellen would testify. Would you believe it, they make wine in Vermont, too. Now everybody knows why I go on these trips LOL.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8657666

Al, I love your pictures!! You all and Charley look like you had a great time;o) I love Green Mountain Coffee - buy the K-cups for my Keurig brewer all the time - yummy. And I think I want to be there right now... 114 here today and even hotter for tomorrow - ugh. This is my not-so-favorite time of year in Phoenix...

That purple plant in the pic looks like it could be wild mint too - it grows all over New England.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 28, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8661434

nice trip al hope you and wife had a good time. its so hot and dry here we could ust a nice rain shower the has been blowing hot for a week or longer sure is hard on the plants. may loose alot of them if it keeps blowing much longer just water won,t help much air is so hot. glad you and yours made it home. have a good week and take care. love and hugs to all nettie.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8666688

Happy Friday All - Have a great weekend and be safe!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8666726

AL, I love that picture. Thank you , Charley sends you Nuzzles of Friendship...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 3, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8670869

al i really enjoyed your trip where are you going next. i can stay home and see all the neat places and don,t even have to get in a car or plain that is the best part thanks much nettie. this weather is enough to make you crazy. my children think im nuts already. they just don,t talk about it. my dh is putting his pass words in the drawer where i keep the key bord for the puter i guess thats ok should be handy for the whole crew.im not going to wory about it. i have my way of remembering things dosen,t work very well but i ger by.my bed time is fast comming this way.that is a blessing. mekos ive killed the little sun dew the thing turned black and melted don,t know what i did let me know if you have an extra one.im going to have to take the little cat tail has got to go to the stock pond its going crazy in the bog.running everywhere. love nettie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8672115

Nettie, it may take over your pond. I had some and got rid of them. They had roots go thru my Cement pond. I had to redo my pond. So I got rid of the cattails. These were the regular size. I don't know about minis.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 4, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8672558

this one has to go out to the stock pond the old horse may kill it she is so nosy she checks everything out so far she has left the pond iris but they are not growing yet that may change. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8675903

Welcome back, everybody must be on vacation this week..not a peep out of anyone. Weather has been beautiful here, 85 degrees in daytime 65 at night, barely a cloud in the sky.

We've had reunions, alumni weekend, get togethers with friends & family, campfires, fireworks, kite flying, you name it its been done. At least we're home, not traveling all over. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8675986

We are here Al.
Someone is always hangin around. Just not talking...

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8676187

Charley's looking great, he must of had a good weekend!

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 6, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8676321

kelly do you think we could have a new thread this one is real long. love and hugs nettie.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8676447

Yes, Last week he got a haircut and got his feet trimmed. How about that AL????
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8682396

Hi Peeps, hope everybody is doin' well and enjoying the summer.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 10, 2011
12:07 AM

Post #8683161

well al im trying to enjoy summer with 103 temp its not eazy but im trying pew this is bad. im not sure how i can make the most of this.we are blesed with plenty of water. i just have to make myself get out and use it. love to all good night nettie.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8683657

Best to stay inside and air conditioned when it's that hot, I can't take the heat like I used to in younger days. I spent one summer at Ft. Rucker Alabama during my Army stint, I swore it never broke 100 degrees the whole time during July and August.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 10, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8684217

al the heat is going to go to 105 and higher [m inside for the day its going to set new record for us if it does.nettie.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 11, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8685885

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196031/
New thread

Corrected with working link

This message was edited Jul 11, 2011 2:05 PM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8685914

I think it keeps going back to the old thread

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8686062

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196031/
Try this one Al.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

July 11, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8687174

rrn you should see the new little burrow or donkey he looks like a teddy bear you just won,t to love on him im not sure his moma would let me but im going to try and get a picture. love nettie
enidcandles
Enid, OK

July 11, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8687335

Hey Nettie - we started a new thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196031/
come on over!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America