Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: June, Headlong into SUMMER!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 192, Views: 1,274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 1, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8600853

New month, new thread.
Let's hope for more normal weather. (Is there such a thing ?)

More rain for New Mexico & West Texas.

Some heat relief in the Ohio River area.

Less wind in the upper midwest.

Everyone have a good month!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8600866

Thanks, Bernie. Love the yellow against the blue!

Going to be hot today 86º is predicted with high winds.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8602262

45-50° here with rain and hail. Brrr... Glad you're having such nice weather!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8602504

Thundering now. Not sure if it's raining yet or not.

Prague iris at Commanche

Thumbnail by pepper23

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8603132

billyporter, sure looks like from the picture of your garden that you live in a beautiful place (where it rains! Wow!!) Do you all have grackles there too?!

PrissyJo, sorry to hear you have fire ants. They sure can mess a garden up (especially eat the blossoms on okra, beans and peas.) The new baits with spinosad seem to help. I use the one called "Come and Get It".

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
3:16 AM

Post #8603298

64°/75° Rain showers developing around mid-morning. Mixed clouds and sun with scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

New thread! Thanks Bernie, I love the ''ghost'' in the window :o) I agree with Celia about yellow on blue. Very pretty!

Celia, only good thing about hot, is the wind...

Evelyn, there's nothing good about that!

Pepper, did you ever dry out from all the earlier rains?

Ladypearl, I do try to keep my little spot on earth pretty :o)

I have grackles and starlings. They don't bother much, but they do have homely babies, LOL, and they drop poop bombs from the nest in my birdbath, :o(

We had another good meal at Pizza Ranch and Dad got a coupon for a free pizza :o)

I came home and potted up plants for my neighbor. A friend stopped by and brought me two new iris for those I shared with him. One has yellow standards with maroon falls and the other is all deep purple. Both are tall and strong. I don't know if they are old ones or not, but I'm happy with them!

The Rock Garden. Now I'll need blooms for June thru October.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8603367

All those Iris were from plant swap at an Iowa Round Up 3 years ago.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8604324

Wow! I feel like a brand new person with this brand new thread. It was an absolutely perfect morning for gardening! We actually had 48% humidity and I could breathe! just a slight breeze and only 84; much better than the 105 we had been having. I was in total heaven! I got so much planted. It was fantastic!

98 out now and the winds are up and humidity 13 but what a great morning.

This creature is 12" long and really creepy looking, on my front porch on the last day of May. A perfect example of how May was for me. The next picture is of June! I've got so much to say I'm going to have to take up two posts!

billyporter, I just wanted to thank you so much for the sympathy :) and for always responding to everyone. It's great the way you tie everything together. Your yard is so fantastic. I'm like LadyPearl--WOW !! And those lady's mantle in your rock garden are beautiful, too.

Bernie, thank you for the thread and for the good wishes for rain. We actually have a 10% chance of 1/10th of an inch today so I've got fingers and toes crossed. I'd cross every joint if I could! And I want to know who that ghost is, too! Love those irises, too.

Pepper, you have such a beautiful variety of flowers! Gorgeous

LadyPearl, I have the very best variety of okra growing. Those ants had better not get it! I've also got lots of different kinds of beans. I've heard of spinosad and understand it's organic but they don't have it around here. Is there a place you know of on the internet to get it?

...continued next post

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8604335

This little sunflower is my example of June and I feel like it's a new start with this new thread. It's a Solar Baby Sunflower, only 2 ft high and has 9 buds already.

Kwanjin and TropicalNut- Love that Tanager!! I can't believe you're just north and a tiny bit west and our weather has been SO completely different! During May all I had were grackles and doves but this morning I had hummers, robins, western bluejay, 3 kinds of wrens and no grackles at all!

LadyPearl, can you believe the difference in my weather and my birds in just one day! By the way, if the ants get my stuff, I'll do a search for Come and Get It. Thanks for the info. Are you having a good month, too??????

billyporter, I just really can't get over your beautiful yard!!

Bernie, I can't get over ALL of your beautiful plants. I know you'll have a great market season.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8604861

Hot and humid again but temps only got to 83 today. But the humidity was horrible. Feels like July. lol

Cool sculpture at Commanche Iris Acres.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8605255

Hi everyone!

No rain here for 5 days now! Finally got the whole yard mowed again. The weather the past few days has been delightful--highs in the low 70's, breezy and low humidity. The rainiest May on record has me way behind though.

Caught this sunrise a few days ago...

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8605600

Bernie Thanks for the new thread!

Lovely Iris!
Ours are about gone here now.
We added about a 1/2 dozen from the Spring RU.
Many of them are Dwarf Iris... we're FINALLY learning.
We are switching most of our standard ones to containers.
They love growing in pots and after blooming we can move them out of the way to allow room for other plants.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8605709

68°/92° Partly cloudy. Stinking hot and humid :o) Winds S at 20 to 30 mph.
Thank goodness we'll have wind!

Prissy Jo, that's what makes June worth it!

Awww, thanks :o)

Smiling, that was not a very nice May was it?

I just love close-up pictures of Sunflowers. I don't think people realize how beautiful they really are.

Awesome on the birds, especially three kinds of wrens :o)

Thanks, it's the shade that makes all the difference and we're going to need it today!

I'm glad your weather has improved. I hope it goes well for everyone else too. We've all been waiting for so long!

Pepper, that IS cool! I don't care for abstract sculpture. I want it to look like something and he does! I'd put him in my yard :o)

Howdy Early!! It's always nice to get the yard mowed. If we have rain, I mow every 4 to 5 days.

Wow, picture perfect sunrise!

Ric, my iris are a good show this year because they've been divided for three years. I really need to get on the ladder and try to get the whole bed in. 80' is a long shot, but the back is lined with Iris :o)

I adore the dwarf and intermediates! The Lilliputs from Schreiners are pretty, and scented. Win win :o)

The driveway man is coming and we can pin him down on a date to tear out the rock and pour concrete!!

The new driveway path.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8605758

Still windy. Forecast high today near 90º.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8605764

Bernie, wind for us too and I'm glad for it!!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8606293

PrissyJo, That is one big centipede! I hope those don't come in the house!! That;s a cute sunflower! Sunflowers are able, thankfully, to take the hot dry weather better than some kinds of flowers. Around here the birds eat up the seeds before I realize it though. I should put a bag over them since I want to collect them for my parrot.

I get the "Come and Get It" at the local farm and ranch store (we used to call them feed stores but they have so much more stuff now). I have not tried to order it online.

Glad to hear your birds showed up! Hope they eat up your "bad bugs" in the garden.

What kind of okra are you growing?

Billyporter, do you discourage the grackles and starlings from nesting near your bird bath? When a flock of grackles comes around to take over the territory in the spring, I use the kind of fire crackers that make a loud "bang" to scare them off. Of course sometimes one has to get out the pellet gun to add some teeth to the bark so they will go away and not come back. They are very persistent however - but so am I since I've caught them eating other bird's babies and also getting into the chicken's food.
What kind of trees are those to the right of your driveway? Beautiful lawn you have there.

Pepper23, love that cowboy art sculpture!

Early bloomer, that sunrise is so peaceful looking - it must have been the start of a great day,

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 1:23 PM
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8606616

We have already lost two nests of baby robins that we could see out our windows. I bet that is what killed them because we have a lot of them. GRRRRR!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8606762

Is it my imagination or are the grackles moving east and north. Growing up in the south, I don't remember ever seeing (or hearing) grackles. Sorry to hear you have them there Elena.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8606917

Hot with temps in the 90s, sunny and humid. There is a breeze though so that helps.

I have mushrooms growing in 2 different pots today. This one is in my rain lily pot. I need to see if I can find it in my mushroom book.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8606924

This one is growing in my boston fern.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8606936

I thank you for the sympathy, ladypearl, Even worse than those terrible birds, we are now confronted with coyotes and armadillos. Those are both new here. We just need to hang in there cause I fear that fire ants will be next. Even alligators have apparently gotten as far as Memphis. Darned if I would want to have any of my family swimming in the rivers now.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8606957

Armadillos are found clear up here sometimes. Coyotes are very common here but the alligators haven't made it this far yet. Hope they never do!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8607085

Did your hear on the news a couple of policemen killed a concrete alligator yesterday. Didn't catch where it was. The guy said he had it in his yard to keep neighborhood kids out.
They hit it twice!

Hot here today. Wind finally went down.

Supposed to be nice & sunny tomorrow. We need a nice day at market.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8607097

Concrete, Bernie?????????????? I hope the alligators stay further south but who knows? I want nothing to do with them. I didn't know that armadillos and coyotes had gotten to Missouri. Darn!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8607131

I heard about that a couple days ago. I had a good laugh out of that. lol

Coyotes have been here for a long time, might even be from here orginally, but armadillos have only been around maybe 10 years or so but are not common up here. They are more common in southern MO.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8607142

love the cowboy. wish it was in my yard...

Jan
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8607150

So do I!! lol
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8607368

was a lovely day here!!! started a bit coolish.. but was near 74 F not bad.. and
tomorrow 80s !!!! wow.. maybe i can put my tomatoes in now.. LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8607387

I out out one lone tomato plant a few weeks ago. It's looking a little sad but it has flowers on it now. I put in green onions, corn, brussels sprouts, cauliflower and a white pumpkin into my raised bed. Small yeild but going to be fun!

My weather echoes, TN's.

I found a gigantic growth on our Isis yesterday. I took her to the vet and it's been IDed as a fatty tumor. Having it removed on Wednesday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8607697

77°/85° Mostly cloudy this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Ladypearl, the neighbors have a long line of pine trees so there is no stopping them, LOL! I tend to let nature take it's course anyway. But I've never seen another bird fly over and let go with such aim. They can really put a layer in the bottom and it's terrible to clean out :o(~

Those are walnut trees. There is another to the right, and down the sidewalk. The south property line has two more young ones. The neighbors are going to take them out one of these days.

Do you have any pictures of your parrot? How long have you had one?

Elena, that is so sad! I keep hopng a robin will nest in my apple tree.

Ladypearl, we never had blackbirds nesting here before the neighbors planted the trees. They always showed up in the Spring, but now they stay :o(

Pepper, laughing, spackled mushrooms! Aren't they pretty? Is that a rain lily?

ROTFL!!! Not a one you could eat!

Elena, we have coyotes, but no one has any livestock to bother. I hear they will take dogs and cats when hungry. The armadillos are on the move just as the African Bee is. I hope none of the southern pests ever make it to zone 5!

Bernie, ROTFL!!! Twice!!

Tropical, I'll bet the tomatoes could go out.

Celia, small yield this year leads to more next year :o)

I'm glad Isis only has that, and it can be removed.

My tomatoes :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8607734

We are loaded, ready to head for market. 94 dozen eggs, lots of radishes, rhubarb, kale & onions.
Sunny & high 70's are forecast.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8607736

I forgot, also have tomato plants, cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi & pepper plants.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8607813

Have a good day everyone. Good luck at the market Bernie. I wish I had several dozen of those good fresh eggs. Yes, those pesky critters will eat Fifi and any other little critter they can catch. Not good!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8607954

We did a little construction job yesterday.
During a break, while waiting for supplies, I got a few Butterfly shots.

Here's a Hackberry Emperor that originally landed 2' from me on a patio chair.
Hackberry's love to pop in and see what's happening.

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8608536

Market today, before opening bell.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8609115

Well, I let you all know that I won't be here cause of expire on the 10th this month so I will be happy if you want be in Facebook... If you want to get my Facebook and I will be happy to d-mail me for private...

Take care,
Anna, Rusty and JuJu is taller than Rusty's height...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8609616

Take care, Rusty. Come back if you can. I'm sure you guys in Joplin have you're hands full unfortunately. I hear mortgages on the newly unemployed can be a headache for some now, something like mortgage payments are coming due before insurance can pay in some cases. Ins. co's. are setting up temporary stands to help on that problem.
Good photo there, Bernie. That is some vegetables! I bet you see quite a few vegetarians in a farmer's market. It looks like decent weather there in Minn. Here, it is hot (high around 92° F lately every day) and humid. I bet the weather is about perfect in MN now. I went to
The House On The Rock last July in WI. and the highs were about low 80's, which was nice. Then, we started driving back to KCMO and it was getting warmer and warmer!
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8609921

66°/86° Partly to mostly cloudy skies with scattered thunderstorms mainly during the morning. A few storms may be severe. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Bernie, people are going to be glad to see you. I had a radish sandwich for supper last night :o)

Wow! The produce looks great!!

Elena, those eggs do sound good!

Ric, what beautiful detail on the Hackberry. That's the best close-up I've seen!

Anna, I'll miss you here on Dave's! JuJu really grew up and is just beautiful! I love Rusty too!

Will, can't stop the computers from kicking out those notices. It would be a real mess there. I did learn something tho. When severe weather comes around, I put my meds in my purse along with my best yard cap. If I have to run, I'm covered for a while, medically.

The driveway guy made it yesterday and stayed an hour. There was a lot of detail to go over. His brother will take up the railroad ties and rock. The rock goes to my Dad in the other end of town. At the hourly price to use the truck, short hauls are what we need! I can't wait!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8610086

Good luck on them getting it done soon. My kitchen has been torn up since February as our guy works on much bigger jobs (huge houses for very wealthy people including several country music stars) and just can't ever seem to get time to finish mine. I get fed up to the gills when I have almost anything done as nobody seems to ever think enough of our little jobs to complete them. Our carpenter came well recommended but he just never seems to think that we are important enough to complete my kitchen. Boo hoo.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8612053

70°/94° Sunshine and clouds mixed. Hot. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Elena, that is just wrong. Maybe I don't understand the ''code'' of these people, but you have a right to get your job done. I would be calling and pinning him dow to a date to finish. I do and don't understand the three jobs at once. It just delays everyone. And why can't they call you? We have to do all the calling when we want to know what is going on. GRRRR!

DH took the small sidewalk blocks out around the porch and gave them to my Dad. We had to keep a couple to add since the driveway will be moved over 4'. I mowed and am glad I did. We're in for a hot one today!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8612136

Eeek! You are warming up, there in IA! Here it is 75°/95° SSW 14 mph, it says all sunny here. I try only to water every 2 days, today is definitely water day! A couple plants droop after 1 day of no watering!

A radish sandwich?! I hope you had mayo on that!

I know what you mean about having to contract work, Elena. Last year we had some stuff done, a disabled ramp built, a screened in deck and a bathroom remodeled.
It all went well enuff, but some of the work seemed substandard and they'd even make they're own decisions on what to do. For example, I offered that they could put a little tearout debris in my trailer when they walked by if they wanted, they ended up filling up my trailer with nearly all the tearout, then charging us for "debris removal".
We told them about that and I think they reduced it, but they were peeved. I offered that because our city here offers free landfill drop-off for residents, but I didn't think they would fill up my trailer with 2,000 lbs. of demolition tearout trash! I just told my friend here, (the homeowner) yesterday that the main sub-contractor guy was likely smoking marijuana on his lunch break. They had to work in the house on the bathroom remodel and when he'd walk by several times I could smell it, (she was at work). The elderly gentleman that my friend contracted with is a nice guy, he may not even know that his main subcontractor was getting high on weed, then doing the work and making the man look bad. I told my friend that I felt like anonymously emailing the man and telling him, "this guy is making you look bad". Overall, they did decent work and everything turned out good enuff, except for a few bad decisions on work, and a few shoddy things. My friend was satisfied enuff with everything. I didn't want to say anything earlier that mighta stopped work and caused a big mess. My friend didn't contract with this weed smoker subcontractor guy, we'd never seen him before. I wanted to wait until the 1 year warranty was over before I told her. I know how she is, if I had told her sooner, if something went wrong, she wouldn't have had them back out to fix anything during the warranty period, she woulda been like, "I don't want them back in my house". My friends told me I should stay mum about it back then. But, I felt like it was my duty to tell her eventually.
Oh well, when work has to be done, what can you do? I like those Angieslist commercials, like the one where the guy does the work but he tracks paint all through the house!
Yeah, I'd see if they'd agree to amending the contract to finish by Jan 1st, 2012 or something. A new agreement has to be in writing, an amendment to a contract is only enforceable if it's written. In short, a verbal agreement doesn't trump an original written agreement. Everything in writing, I learned that by watching judge shows. Well, you have to do something when you're unemployed!
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8612143

Will, only butter goes on a radish sandwich :o)

I'm glad you caught them on the remoaval fee. We were charged fore dirt when our driveway went in. The got the dirt froma cross the road and we helped haul it over. Yes, they had to drop that charge!

Well, that odor will certainly buy you sub par work!

Laughing, you're right, ''everything in writing!"

Time to get up and get an earlier start on the day. Have a good one everyone!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8612456

Our guy called two days ago and said he would be over sometime Sat. or Sun. to look things over. Yeah Right!!!!! Surely he can remember all of the cabinet stuff showing because there are no doors and all of the stuff I have to store on the den floor because the sliding trays in the under cabinets that he built don't slide well. We were going to buy and install our own but he insisted he could do it cheaper. Yeah, but let's get the sliding. We don't have a contract and don't pay ahead of the finished job so there is nothing to call him on. Oh yes, my kitchen sink hot and cold water faucets are reversed and have been for over three months.
Hubby refinished the new fronts the guy built for the drawers and cabinets because we were afraid to trust him on that. Those and the drawers are all sitting in my den and have been for months. We begged him to finish that anyway because we are expecting out of town company for my granddaughter's wedding the 25th. There will be lots of people in and about. I know now that it will be a miracle if he does them by then. All I know to do is make sure things that show look ok, hide everything else Lord only knows where, get sick over how bad it looks and try to be good sports.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8613950

Hot and humid. Mid 90s for highs. Under heat advisory.

Snapdragons, dianthus, and Don Juan rose.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 6, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8614054

We had 99º according to weather channel. Maybe their thing don't go 100.

Mighty hot is all I know.

Finished a cabinet job today, then drove 150 miles round trip for oak & fir lumber.

Just home now. Going to have supper.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8614249

Elena, I think I'd casually send him emails stating deadline dates and costs etc. From what I've seen on tv, even text messages and emails that discuss the job will work in Small Claims Court if it should come to that. When its just you're word against theirs, I don't think the outcome is very good for the customer. Thats a good thing that you haven't paid a big sum in advance. Small Claims Court only costs $35 here, (depending on how you choose to have the lawsuit served, can be more). There is also a limit of $3,000 or $5,000, depending on the state. I once sued a mobile home park because they wouldn't give back my security deposit after I left, but I had to use the bathroom that morning and didn't make it to court, so I lost because of my absence. In any case, if you have to finish it yourselves, I hope he didn't mess it up for you. Reversing you're hot and cold sounds like something this guy over here would do, smoke some weed, then work on our plumbing. He got the hot and cold right but it dripped after he put in a new vanity and faucets, it didn't drip before, we found out later that he chose to omit the right washer. They say theres a small percentage of subcontractors and contractors that plain don't know what they're doing. But by and large, I'm sure they mostly know they're business and are quite good when everything is done or they don't stay in business long.

The Weather Channel says 94° F here tomorrow. The end of the week is cooling way down here, they say mid to lower 80's with chances of rain!
Colorful flowers there, Pepper.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8614281

Since we didn't do a contract with him we will just have to be patient and hope for the best. Hubby finally got him to commit to coming sometime tomorrow to start putting on the new fronts. Fingers crossed here...This guy is a neighbor and friend of a friend of ours. Our friend was a well known architect around here and we hope that if we exert a bit of pressure the contractor won't want to get in bad with us or him since our friend, his neighbor, recommended him. We have gently nagged him and don't know if it will get us anywhere. The contractor finished a BIG job today for a very wealthy family in a really ritzy area of Nashville. I can see why keeping those guys happy is important but we would like to get back to normal around here. We had discussed with him and were planning to give this guy another job renovating our main bathroom but I don't think so now. I would go mad if I had to live with a bathroom torn up for months.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2011
3:07 AM

Post #8614658

I furnish a written contract to my customers. It contains exactly what I am going to give them. Then I require ½ of job amount as a down payment. I need that to buy the raw materials. Both of us sign it at the time of down payment. At completion of the job, I collect the rest of the money. This has worked for years for me & would hold up in court.

Hot here all night. We've had the air on since yesterday, so staying cool.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8614745

76°/94° Plentiful sunshine. Hot. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Elena, I almost think I'd try and find someone else if he won't finish. I would feel sick over all the waiting too.

Pepper, love the color combination! Is that perovskia?

Bernie, that is quite a trip!

Will, I think a lot of workers are hire-on's and most likely don't know what they are doing.

Elena, neighbor and friend does make a difference in how you ask him. We had a bad roofing guy. Since we paid half down, we had to keep him. We were happy to just get it done, but we would never have him do anything else.

Bernie, that's because you are an honest, decent person! There aren't too many craftsmen around. That's the difference between you and all the others.

We are going to steam today!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8614815

My husband has always done everything because of the problems involved with hiring anyone we have ever hired. He has reached the age where he would really like to have someone else do it but it just isn't worth the hassle. We have added all kinds of stuff to our home over time and it is the same old story no matter who we get. The only guy who ever didn't keep us in limbo was an elderly black guy who did our brick work on an addition we built. He came and did the job and didn't hold us in limbo at all. We always get the others who get one half the money, come and work a little and then it takes an act of congress to get them back. We have gutter we can't get fixed because of the roofing folks months ago. They fixed the roof but one of the workers fell and messed the gutter up when he fell. Looks like we are going to have to sue him before it is over. That all happened because of the damage done to the roof during that first storm that got huge tree. We have converted the garage to a room, and built two additions over the years and the story is always the same around here.
You wouldn't believe how long we waited each time to get the job finished. I think I am about finished dealing with anyone even though we still need a vent fan and a wall plug plus a new sink in the bathroom. I am not going to do anything but that. Phooey on a new bathroom. I couldn't stand it. Hubby says he will wait till it is cooler and try to do the wiring. We have a son-in-law in Knoxville who might be able to help him. Concerning the sink, since the guy we are using now isn't going to do it, I am going to try to figure some way to not take out the sink but instead somehow knock out a hole in the bottom and frame and put in a pedestal sink. Then do mosaic tile around it. Anything like taking out the sink will tear up the tile on the counter and then we will have to do all new tiling in the entire bathroom. I JUST can't handle that either. This guy would probably take the rest of my life doing the job. I can't DO that.

The guy we got to do the roofing one time was a friend. He was without a job at the time and was quite eager to do it. Midway in the job, he got another job. That left my hubby to do it alone in the hundred degree temperatures of July. It almost ruined his knees carrying those shingles up the ladder. Took him several years for them to stop bothering him. He was almost 70 years old to boot. He will be 80 this September and looks like he is still the only one I can trust to do a good job.

Bernie, you must be one in a million cause we don't ever get anyone like you. I hope your customers appreciate you.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8615239

sort of feeling like summer here..
sunday was High of yr so far 85F provo utah..
last couple days high 70s F
yesterday geesh.. had high winds 40mph..some microbursts..not in my neighbourhood though
sigh..
nites low 50sF
i see the extreme temps u all are having in other parts of the country..
it'll feel like summer left when...if when... temps go more to "normals"...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8615664

Tropic, we had 90º on Sunday. So nice to have good weather now.

BP, your yard is looking better and better all the time!

75º here now.

Black-chinned Hummingbird from yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8616352

Hot and humid still. Hard to breathe during the heat of the day. Mornings and late afternoons aren't quite as bad.

Bp, it's probably catmint you are seeing. I have 2 plants of that in that bed. In the background I have a clematis growing on the deck.

Nicotiana and Catmint

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8616975

Fortunately, Tennessee is really at the higher end I saw after I Googled the maximum settlement in Small Claims Court in TN. There are only 2 other states as high, TN's is $15,000 and in Shelby and Anderson counties there it's $25,000, the highest of all I think. I'm not trying to encourage you to get litigious on the carpenter guy, Elena. I just wanted you to know people have options when contracted work goes bad, if need be. Something else to be wary of in suing if you need to, is Statutes of Limitations on the different scenarios of damages. For example, it's 6 years for a written contract as well as for an oral contract in Tenn., but 3 years for property damage and only 1 year for personal injury.
Contractors I'm sure know just how long to put you off then it's, "do I know you?" if they answer the phone! Heres a link I found by Googling the words - small claims how much does it cost tennessee statute of limitations - http://www.smallclaims.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=60 I'd start with the threat of a lawsuit, they even encourage it, it's called a Demand Letter, (I don't know if you have to have had already paid for the lawsuit) from what I read those work pretty good. Remember in Small Claims it's just you, no attorney, the burden of proof is up to the plaintiff (bring lots of evidence, even the smallest thing could be important to the judge), you, don't tell the defendant (contractor) anything, what evidence you do have or don't have, let him guess up to and on court day, so he don't know what to defend against! I still can't find how much it costs, but I'm sure they'd tell you if you call you're small claims court there in you're town. I can't imagine it'd be more than $100 with all the bells and whistles on suing!
I hope it works out though and you don't need to do that, going to court looks like a pain, but money is money!

On another note, the weather here is still hot for one more day! They forecast 95°F and sunny tomorrow! It's still 81° now at 12:18 Central Time.
Will
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8617280

Hi Everyone. We're having both of our porches screened in and it's taking forever, too, haven't seen them in a week but fortunately, we've used these guys before for many things and they always complete and do a great job.

High today 105, winds to 45, humidity 24 right now but it will drop, no doubt. Eleven months and counting of not a drop of moisture. We've now set a record from 1892 when they started keeping records. But as this picture shows, new mexico can be pretty in it's own way.

I can't complain though because we have still have city water with no restrictions so I'm eating tomatoes (I grew them out in my greenhouse and planted them about a month ago) cabbage, chinese cabbage, onions, radishes. Corn is tasseling. and everything else seems to be doing fine.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8617288

Burgundy Plums are coming on...

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8617292

Thanks for all that great information, shortleaf. I have saved it all and if we have to sue for damages to the gutters we will know where we stand on that. Many thanks again.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 8, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8617337

Well, quite a day here in Minnesota yesterday. New record high for the day in every town. Mankato & Minneapolis, 103º. But we also had winds up to 40MPH.
My TB Iris took quite a beating. They were in full bloom & now a lot a flat on the ground.
A little damage on greenhouse plastic, but it did stay on, thank goodness.

Today we are going to plant out the remainder of the muskmelon plants, third planting of Gladiolus, take the row covers off the muskmelon & zucchini plants.
I already pruned & tied up tomatoes in the large hoophouse this morning. 5 rows in there & I do one row a day. Early morning works before it gets hot in there.

Off to the coffee shop!
Bernie

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8618497

You're welcome, Elena. I think that site www.smallclaims.com might be incorrect about something, they say max 25k, unless it's changed, it's only 15k except Shelby and Anderson counties, they're 25k - http://www.creditworthy.com/3jm/articles/cw051806.html . I think I'd ask to be sure, if it affects you. I think I'd wait a year tho, in case the guy who fell off you're roof while working can sue you for his injuries.
PrissyJo, thats a nice photo of you're sunset! On the news they say now the smoke from the wildfires in Arizona makes sunsets orange in many states. They even showed the smoke on radar over Kansas. About half the state of KS. was covered in smoke and it was coming to Kansas City! Maybe thats the lower orange in you're photo, they said NM is covered.
Eeek! 103° in Minneapolis, that'd be unusual.
We have Peaches coming on the 'Red Haven' Dwarf Peach Tree. I just bought that tree last Sept. or October from Lowes.
Don't mind all that rubbish in the background of this photo, I am in the process of cleaning all that up.

edited to fix that link, it wouldn't work with that period in it, sorry : )

This message was edited Jun 8, 2011 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8618760

Still hot but the humidity is down so it actually feels kinda nice out there.

Tomorrow we hopefully start working on my truck. I have a broken arch spring in the back and we bought replacements but are trying to get the right sized bolts to fit. If they come in my brother and dad will fix it tomorrow. Will be nice to drive a truck that's whole for awhile!! lol

'Prairie Gyspy' Monarda blooming. I like this one. Not too tall so it doesn't flop over.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8618921

Temp is slowly dropping from a high of 90º today. Highs are forecast mostly in the mid- 70's for the next 10 days with scattered thunder showers here and there.
103º in Minn. the first week of June! Doesn't look like a Canadian Summer for Bernie this year!

PrissyJo...I'm glad things are still growing well for you despite the drought.

I do everything myself too. At least if it's not done right or on time I know who to blame! :-)

Photo: My peonies are blooming their hearts out this year.

early_bloomer

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8620587

What crazy weather we've all been having!! We are going into day 14 of temps above 90!!! This is NOT usual for us at this time of year! We also desperatley need rain!! If this is a precedence (sp?) for what's to come we are in a lotta trouble!!
I've been busy watering the garden every other day & that is going to hike up our water usage cost a lot!!! yikes!
Just celebrated my 50th birthday ( June 5th) & had a wonderful party on the 4th!! I am also celebrating my 5th year of remission from ovarian cancer too!! PRAISE GOD!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8620947

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

90's here too... for June that's about unheard of.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8620961

90s here again, with tornado watches all over the place. There was a tornado touchdown up north by Trenton, MO at point earlier. Right now just heat and clear skies here. Waiting for it to pour so I don't have to water for a few days. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8621729

54°/77° Scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. SSE winds shifting to WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Wow, I can't believe how far behind I got!!

Elena, what a sad story on hiring people. DH has always done everything himself and self taught when he wasn't sure of what to do. His Dad was a big help with questions.

I would sue.

Those are all sad stories. What a shame there isn't one decent person you can hire. I don't blame you for saying ''I can't DO that.

Tropical, it's amazing to me how many times all of us are having the same weather. I think it's only going to get more erratic. Now that we have flowers and gardens, it seems all the more disappointing :o(

Thanks Celia :o) I feel good about sitting out and looking over the whole place. I survey all I own :o)

Awww, on the beautiful Black Chin! I have a Ruby Throat and he's beautiful too!

Pepper, Catmint was my second guess. I have quite a bit of it that I intended to move around while it was small. That didn't happen! The bees love it and I love that it blooms early! It sure works with almost any plant.

Will, good information, and I agree with ''they know just how long to put you off.''

It makes me tired just thinking of putting together all the proof needed, but I watch Judge Judy, so I know it's all important :o)

Prissy Jo, new porch screen, yayyy! DH does ours. It's hard to find decent screen too. A contractor might have better quality.

Wow, that is a beautiful picture! I can't believe how dry you are. You are lucky to have unlimited city water!

What a beautiful plum! Yum yum!

Bernie, that is amazing! We've hardly been in the 90's here. What IS going on with the world?

I'm so sorry about your Iris. That is a shame :o(

Will, good advice on the guy possibly suing for his injuries.

Our sunrise and sunset was an amplified orangy red yesterday.

Awesome peaches!!

Pepper, your poor truck!!

I adore Monarda! Prairie Gypsy is so pretty! Love those little mushrooms too! I just got a purple start from a friend last year and hope to see it take off pretty soon. Monarda was another thing I wanted to spread around, that didn't happen :o(

Early, the heat made my peonies drop their petals early. They sure smelled good this year tho.

Oh my, those ARE gorgeous!

Cindylove, I missed your birhday, but caught you with a belated. I'll make it official :o) Happy belated Birthday!! I'm glad it was wonderful!!

I sure hope the Southern states aren't the next desert :o(

May God continue to watch over you. Prayers will be sent for continued good health. 5 years is amazing!

Well it poured yesterday morning, rained all day, and poured and this morning. We're up to 2''. The sun is out, but boy, was it cold at 4:00 am. It's still chilly.

We watered the other day, but the seedlings needed it. We've eaten almost all the radish and are just waiting for the peas. The beans came up but I don't see any of the spinach I reseeded. Old old seed. Out it goes.

It's 7:30am and the first Grandchild is out of bed. One to go :o)

Iris Salsa Rio. Free gift from Schreiner's.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 10, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8621770

We got a little rain yesterday afternoon & evening. Didn't have a gauge out, but puddles are full. Sure made up for what the heat & wind took out Monday & Tuesday.

We are now done planting. Yesterday the winter squash was seeded. We still have open spots for cabbage, kohlrabi & beans. They all go in later to spread out the harvest. All the transplants look great. hardly lost any. Must have put in around 3000, but who's counting!

Tunnels came off the zucchini & summer squash yesterday. They were pushing against the plastic. Saw a blossom on the muskmelon, too, so those tunnels will be off shortly.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 10, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8621779

Onions & more onions.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 10, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8621783

Good morning, kitty. There are 4 of them & they decided to sleep back under all the junk.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 10, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8621786

Typical flower garden around here. Always something different blooming. Almost all perennials. DW takes care of this one.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8622152

Quite the yield you'll have, Bernie. Cute kitty.

75º expected today. Partly cloudly with a tiny breeze.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8622864

Was supposed to be cooler today but felt hot and humid still. Got a splatter of rain this morning then it all went away.

Have lilies starting to bloom this week. Funny thing is some of my clematis are still blooming. I think that's a first for me. lol. Pics coming this weekend.

Lamium, peony and eunoumous bushes. I know I spelled that wrong. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8623241

Here is Hereford the cat!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011

Post #8623242

Yes, happy birthday cindylove. Thanks billyp, I hope I never have to sue, but at least it's there. We have a screened in deck, I think birds get in there and can't get out and fly into the screen and make like ½ inch holes in the screens for our trouble! Wow, Bernie, all those veggie rows and tunnels look like a lot of work, I'd be wore out!
Yes, that is a cute kitty there, we have one kinda similar, I call her Hereford, but I think I shoulda named her Holstein, but I think we're staying with "Hereford", at least I am, my housemate calls her "nibbler"! Here is one of my 3 Purple Prince© Lily Trees poking up!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8623474

Up & ready to hit the market.
Thin clouds & 55º. Forecast is sunny & 70º. I hope so. That will make for a good market day.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8623475

66°/75° Morning clouds will give way to afternoon sunshine. High around 75F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Bernie, AWESOME amount of produce! Things are looking good!
Smiling over the kittie :o)
I love petunias!

Celia, I LOVE that bloom! How beautiful! Is it a pink centaurea?

Pepper, I hope we're rained out pretty soon, altho I should have wonderful daylily blooms coming on.
I have a peony just a bit bigger than that one. They take forever to get big! LOL!
Love the lamium. It sure brightens up an area!
I have eunonymus too :o)

Will, ''Herford'' is a prettier version of my Petey :o)
The lily tip looks big and healthy! Can't wait to see them bloom!

I think our rain is done for at least today. We have had 2 1/2'' over the last couple of days. It's enough!There are a few mosquitos already :o(

My Hostas are looking good!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8623476

I hope so too Bernie!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8624082

Yes, Sally. Centaurea cyanus. Or Centaurea Pinkyanus. LOL

Warmer today. We have some thunder and a few spots of rain last night but nothing else.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8624128

Nice day at market. Here's just before we started.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8624131

More table.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8624300

Looks great, Bernie. When do you harvest the green onions? I started mine a couple of weeks ago and need to know when to cut them.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8624330

They are Super Star & Red Candy we got as plants from Dixondale in Texas. Planted April 15th.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8625164

55°/74° A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

Celia, I love those. I have the montana with the electric blue color. I think I have seed for a swhite one. I've not seen the pink, but it's sure pretty!

Bernie, you set a beautiful table!

Pepper, you have a bit of growing left. I'd pick when they are as big as your thumb. I always plant my eating onions deeper and closer together than the keepers. Onions for keepers like their shoulders in the sun.

The sun is out, but that isn't going to last. I hate to complain, but it's cold!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8625690

Sally, these came in a wildflower mix I put out a few years ago. Only one pink one grew out of it. I transplanted it to the back and let it go to seed. Every Spring, I weed out the blue ones and now have a lot of pinks. I love them!

Cool-ish here now. 68º with high, thin clouds. Possible rain coming.

This Iris came in a package from HD marked 'Pink Attraction.' I like it much more than the pale pink it would have been but I wish I knew it's true name!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8625696

We have baby Quail!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8625697

Billy, Our forecast is for hot and dry into the next week (temps 103 or higher). Even though we are watering everything, some plants, like the blackberries, are dieing anyway -they just can't take this heat without some good rains. Your high in the 70's is what we have for lows. Wonder why there isn't some balance in the temps for both of us...
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8625713

Cindylove, Glad to hear you kicked the cancer!!

Do you grow blackberries (or any other berries)? How are they doing in the weather we've had lately? I'm wondering if watering with well water would help them cope with it (although we do not have a well). Do you have a well?

Kawanjin, Wow, that's wonderful! Quail babies! We let our kids raise bobwhite quail and chukars a few years while we were living in Alabama. When they got too big for the pens we let them loose in the yard. They were a lot of fun.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8625731

I would love to claim these as our own but they're wild CA quail. The babes were not afraid of us and neither were mom and dad. They were trying to get into the bushes across the street but the curb was way too high for them. Mom stayed in the bush and peeped while DH put a small block of wood there as a step for them.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8626275

Y'all been so busy while I was workin' in the yard. It's warm now and the soil is dry enough to work. It was 75° yesterday, with some high thin clouds, just about perfect, with a cool breeze to boot. The low was 48°, so now I will plant out some tomatoes. It will be warm and dry, then hot and dry, so I am rushing around to get so much done before it is sweltering.

We have many different kinds of ants, but luckily, no fire ants.

New "hot bed" for DH. They are not my favorite colors with which to work, but for him by special request. Many things planted not up yet. Probably too many things in there already. I started it on April 11th...in between storms...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2011

Post #8626343

Warming back up to the 90s again. Today we only reached low 80s with mostly cloudy skies.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8626954

57°/76° Sunny to partly cloudy. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph.

Celia, cool! I don't think I've seen them for sale anywhere, but I haven't been looking at the catalogs much over the last few years. I'm trying to use the seeds I already have.

Wow! Love that iris!

Awwwaah! I want baby quail!! Even Mama is adorable!

Ladypearl, I know. I wish it could be good for all of us! We are on the cool side this week. We aren't used to a real cool June.

Celia, I can't believe how tame they are! Thanks to DH for helping them :o)

Evelyn_inthegarden, here I am in chilly Iowa and have had tomatoes out for a couple of weeks. It just goes to show that even Californisa isn't sunny and warm all the time :o)

Aww, nice bed! Be glad DH is interested in any flowers. Keep posting pictures as things bloom.

Pepper, we'll warm up by Thursday. I'm finding I HATE to be cold right now!

We're back to having the Grandkids again. We'll get them later today and take them to the six year old's ballgame. I haven't seen a game yet. Too many were rained out.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8627688

A prettier version of you're Petey, well thats questionable, but does Petey unroll and waste toilet paper?!
Sure, I'll post photos of my Lily Tree when it's gets bigger!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8628162

Okay, it's bigger now! Not much, but a little today!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8628401

Stormy this morning, then hot and humid, now nice and cool. Cloudy all day.

I bought this as an annual salvia 2 years ago. It comes back every year happy as it can be. I'm not complaining though. It's gorgeous!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8629234

58°/71° Thunderstorms likely this morning. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. Winds ESE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Yep, it's raining. It started around 2:00 am and there's a lot more to come.

Will, Petey's a GOOD boy :o) Well, most of the time. He will pull the stuffing from the sides of the air conditioner and they both peel off the weather stripping from thje doors.

Cool! I can't wait to see it bloom. I wonder how many it will have it's first year?

Pepper, you are sooo lucky!! I love that salvia, but I'm too cold for it to come back. I don't like to pay for annuals if I can't grow them myself.

I had to carry the 4 year old back to his bed around 10:30 last night. He needed another blanket :o) Then I slept on his cot around 2:30 am because the lightning was too bright. It was. We don't have room darkening shades out in the Red Room. He fell back asleep and I went back to bed.

It's thundering again! The 6 year old might not be playing ball tonight :o(
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8629265

Hello Everyone! Oh, how I long for double digits again! It’s forecast between 105-110 all week. Low’s 75. Smoke from the Arizona fires.

Just to catch up:
Ric - Absolutely love your Hackberry Emperor and what a GREAT photograph

Bernie - I wish I could come to your market!! All of that scrumptious fresh and beautiful bounty!

Lady Pearl - I’m completely positive what variety of okra I saved. I planted three kinds last year and saved the best one. Long, thin pods, I mean at least 12” and tender all the way down! I’m saying it’s Zeebest from Baker Creek. I’ve got some seeds I can send you if you like! Didn’t know you were from Alabama…. I moved here from Georgia. The southeast gardening surely is different from out here!!!!!!!!! So sad about your blackberries, they grow wild there, must need a lot of humidity. I’ve got one raspberry that’s hanging on. I soak it.

Will - you were RIGHT., We’re getting that smoke from the Arizona fires. We’ve got had our share, too. Sometimes it seems if the landscape around here isn’t desolate, it’s black from fires. I’m trying to keep my chin up. 11-½ months now with no moisture and severely hot temps.

Early_Bloomer - LOVE your peonies!

Bp - LOVE your hostas!! It's so hard to believe what cold and rainy weather you're having. Wish we could share and each get half of each other's weather. Now that would be perfect!

Celia - LOVE your quail!

Pepper - What a beautiful salvia and it’s acting like a perennial! That’s one of the flowers that does really well out here. They’re not perennial but they reseed themselves plentifully.

Most of my heirloom roses are doing well.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8629349

Prissy Jo, you aren't having a very good June :o(
Smoke was the last thing you needed!

I'm not sure I could keep my chin up, LOL! I guess you garden in the extreme. How much shade do you have, and what kind of trees are they? Do you have any shrubs?

Oh, all is not lost with a beautiful bright red rose like that! I'd love to see more, or even the whole bush!
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8629483

billyporter - Shade - wow. If my whole yard was shaded, it would be nice and things would be happier. Sounds crazy I know because when I lived in the SE, sun was hard to get! But I put in six trees in the back yard, where most of my veggies are, three years ago when we moved here. One purple plum, an ornamental, a burgundy plum, fruit, a chatalpa, a white blooming redbud, an ash and a vitex. We already had one tree, a giant pecan. They're all doing really well except the ash died. Several other trees died out front and at the other little house we've got but I've got 11 fruit trees down there that are good so far. They don't provide much shade yet because they're only about 15-20 ft tall so I built a shade house over my raised beds. Draped it with 80% shade cloth and I was one of very few who had any veggies last year around here. I took it down in the winter because I was trying to have a winter garden andhaven't gotten it back up yet. I can't really do it by myself and it has to be done before 8 am or I just can't go out, heart condition and light skin... that's never stopped me before but THIS place has slowed me down for sure! Here's a picture of when we bought the house and then I'll put one of now. I had put in a beautiful Rose of Sharon shrub two years ago but it just died all of a sudden last year; one day it was beautiful, next day it was dead. Weird.

this is when we bought it 3 years ago

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8629487

now

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8629493

side of greenhouse

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8629496

shade house, unshaded right now and lettuce and mustard going to seed

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8630526

The Weather Channel says 88° and 67° tonite, my rainbarrel is full!
I hope you just get the smoke PrissyJo, not the fire! Unfortunately, they say the fire is close to the NM border, and CO.
Here is Hereford the cat in the Catnip pot I brought in yesterday for them, with Grubworm looking with interest and Bucky looking in the front. All those cats were strays that were brought in! I thought I'd get a photo it looked so silly! My housemate saw me taking the photo this morning and she says "awww.. ain't that cute?!". I'm thinking, "kinda I guess, but look what she's laying in, a potted plant"! That can't be good for houseplants! The Catnip plants were off to one side so her laying in there didn't hurt them. It was when she chewed one of the big plant's stems in two that isn't so good! She likes to eat the leaves and rub on them, so thats kind of neat I guess! I didn't think the Catnip would be back from the seeds I planted in it last year, but back they are.
The first year for the Lily Trees on blooming won't be too spectacular, but according to Brecks they do a little blooming even the first year, I'll wait and see! I know it's growing fast.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8630658

What Will said. LOL. Also had a breeze and humidity is back up. Under a tornado watch til 11pm.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8630692

We have had rain all afternoon. Washed out our Farmers Market.
Now the rain has stopped, but strong east wind. Never saw as much wind as we are getting this year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8630732

Prissy Jo Thanks for the comment on the Hackberry.
They are VERY friendly Butterflies and LOVE to ride on people.

Hope you get some relief soon!!!
They yard looks GREAT considering the lack of rain down there.

Bernie we have trees down everywhere at least once a week it seems.
Lightning whacked one just up the street from us Friday night.
Three huge ones are down on the next street from the wind.
ROUGH Year.
We already have almost as much rain this year as we should have ALL year.

Here's a Zebra Swallowtail shot Saturday while on the tour.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8631624

I'll catch up later folks.

We have babies! Sara delivered the twins this morning, June 15th, 2011

Carly Anne was born first at 2:58 am. She weighs 6# 2 ounces is 19'' long

Callun Richard was born 7 minutes later at 3:05 am. He weighs 6# 3 ounces and is 19'' long.

All went well and everyone is fine! We'll take the boys up this afternoon. We just happened to have them when she felt the start of labor yesterday.

Cael will be 7 on September 6th and Colton will be 5 on September 24th.

Grandma Sally

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 4:04 AM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8632960

YAY!!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8632967

Forgot weather. Perfect day!! Low 80s and low humidity!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8633557

58°/84° A mix of clouds and sun. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.

We took the boys to see the babies and then dropped them off with their aunt and uncle. I'm glad for the quiet, LOL!

Pepper, I hope I get that perfect day today. I've barely been outside.

Gorgeous lilies!

My newest Grandkids!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8633558

Boy left, girl right

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
3:11 AM

Post #8633559

All of us :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8633562

AAwwwwhhhh!! Grandma Sally!!!!

Awesome! They're so cute and Carly already has more hair than Callun so I guess they're not identical...? All four kids with C names! They're wonderful! Congratulations. Hope Sara is doing well.

I doubt you'll even see the outside for a while because you won't be able to take your eyes off those babies!

108/67 here with 40 mph winds and 17% humidity. No moisture.

These are my only babies.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8633721

Congratulations!

Perfect day here today, sun, warm, no wind!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8633779

Darling babies and NOT identical because one is a boy and one is a girl. Tee hee.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8634906

Rainy this morning, then cloudy rest of day. A cool front moved in with the rain and dropped the temps down quite a bit. Feels great out there now!!

One of my weedy looking beds. lol. Astilibe. butterfly bushes, lamium, and a groundcover. Gonna rip out the butterfly bushes and put in hydrangas. Vienna and Rio cultivars. They stay small and like shade so they should do better than the butterfly bushes.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8635608

63°/84° Variable clouds with thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Prissy Jo, thanks! No, not identical and Carly was first, but Callun weighed more.

Laughing! Those babies will just have to go out with me!

Oh my gosh! How do you handle that heat?

Love your babies!

Thanks Bernie!

Thanks Elena!

Pepper, love the astilbe! Mine is just starting to bloom. Rheinland is always the first. The neighbor kids are going to take out the two walnut trees on the propery line and the astilbe will have to be moved. Eeek. I have close to 15 of them and no bed ready!

We didn't get rain overnight, but have a chance today. Someone else can have it. I need to be outside!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8637405

You can always replace the trees with tall bushes, tall grass or just tall plants. lol. They will provide shade for them.

Stormy this morning then, cloudy all day. Temps stayed nice til late afternoon then the humidity shot up.

I'm waiting on this black walnut tree to get taken out and moved. Waiting on another one too. If my dad doesn't hurry up, they will overtake my beds or I will just kill them. lol. I want the trees, just somewhere else.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8637924

68°/83° Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe.Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

PrissyJo, I''m catching up now :o)

A lot of shade IS nice, except all mine is with walnut trees, and I prefer sun loving plants.

I like the trees you put in. It's a shame about the Ash and the Rose of Sharon dying. The Ash is a good tree. I love fruit and the 11 fruit trees made me sigh. I have two apple trees and only one is old enough to bear.

What a transformation!! Having green grass is the first thing that makes a yard a yard.

Love the shade house! The veggies look good! I'd say you do a pretty good job despite the heat and lack of rain.

Will, if one catnip plant grows, many will pop up everywhere! You need to sow a grass box for them to lay in!

Those are nice throw away cats, and it is cute! They are so funny when catnip is around!

Pepper, tornado watch, sheesh! Lets get on with June!

Oooh, love the coleus!! It really whitens up the petunias!

Bernie, it's a shame the Market was washed out.
The reason for all the weird weather is this:

One culprit was La Niña, a cyclical system of trade winds that cools the waters of the equatorial Pacific. (El Niño is La Niña's warm-water counterpart.)

La Niña (Spanish for "the little girl") can muck with global weather patterns, recurring every few years and lingering for as long as two years. [Weirdo Weather: 7 Rare Weather Events].

La Niña is gone now, but her slow exit — along with a lingering reversal of atmospheric pressure patterns and wind direction in the North Atlantic, called the North Atlantic Oscillation — appears to have been the big driver behind all the wild weather.

"The effects of La Niña were sort of muddled together with the effects of the enhanced North Atlantic Oscillation," said Ed O'Lenic of the Climate Prediction Center.

Ric, I look forward to your butterfly pics and the Zebra is beautiful!!

Pepper, ROTFL!! The neighbor kids are to take out two walnuts on the property line and I can't wait either! I'm really going to miss the shade, but not the sticks and nuts in my flower bed directly under both!

ROTFL, just opened the picture expecting a large tree. You could dig that out easy!! LOL! Let your Dad see you take the shovel out and ask him whare he wants the tree. That may get him going :o)

These are the one's the kids are taking. That's their house and line of Arborvitaes.

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8638121

((((SALLY!)))) Gorgeous/Handsome!

Well I had to take a work trip to SC Thursday.
I made a delivery and stayed overnight.
My Hotel exit was 'Bat Cave'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Cave,_North_Carolina
Which I thought was pretty cool!

Hooked up w/ two DG'ers while I was there.
AnnaK from WI and Vic.
This taken at Vic's house.

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8639055

Great pic of you three Ric!!

Hot and muggy!! Expecting another round of storms tonight. There was some wind damage in the city from last night's storm. Trees uprooted and some other damage. Not widespread though which is good. Storm was noisy too. Kept waking me up and normally I sleep thru storms.

My herb pot. I need to stick my peppermint in there so my nephew can eat that. He didn't like the other herbs. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8639596

Thanks Ric! Bat Cave is a cool name! After all, who didn't grow up watching Batman and the reruns? LOL! I love the history of the town. How could you not enjoy your stay there?

You were sooo lucky to get to go there and to be able to meet up with the ladies! That is a great photo!!

Pepper, I don't like yur weather, LOL! I don't like mine either!!

Get chocolate peppermint! It's smells good and tastes pretty good too. The pot, ROTFL! The Herb pot looks good!

Another chance of rain today. I hope we get sprinkles like we did for the last two rains.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8639701

107 with 50 mph blowing dust.

Ric - great photo! ... also the zebra swallowtail. You're an AMAZING photographer!

Garden is still surviving even with the high temps, no rain and high winds and no humidity.

Immature roadrunner

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8639812

Prissy Jo, I can't believe your heat and winds. I can't believe your garden, LOL!

Ric IS an amazing photographer and takes awesome butterfly pictures.

I love road runner pictures!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8640002

Vic's Husband Hank took the pic of the ladies and me.

Beep Beep! LOVE that shot!
You have Mail! lol!

Raining here AGAIN!

Here's another one of our female Fragile Forktail Damselflies staring down a Naiad (Nymph).
I got shots of one of them laying eggs last year. We have at least 3 pairs continuously now.
They spend a year underwater (Naiad) and a few weeks to a month above as Adults.
This one is about 1 1/4" long and about the thickness of Angel Hair Pasta.

Thumbnail by henryr10

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8640032

sure feels more like spring than summer here.. really mild temps..ok nites..but wow..we got a big rain storm this morning..
i ran to shed to put lawn fertilizer on lawn.. lol.. im sure my neighbours think..?? there he goes again.. its pouring..dumping rain..
and im running around lawns putting down summer fertilizer.. :) but..i do have the most green lawn in area.. so there..LOL
seems like a big bird population this yr.. to me.. lots of robins,finches,sparrows,starlings,tanangers,hummers,woodpeckers,even
blue jays..
i love watching robins show their young how to seek out worms,, great fun..
hope this week brings some warmer weather !!!!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8640038

billyporter, we Texans don't like that La Nina character one bit - messes the weather up! She should be fired. : D

PrissyJo, We had temp of 111 degrees yesterday - uuuuggghh! The chickens and guineas were miserable. I put the sprinkler on them and it cooled things off a little (until I turned it off and the water evaporated.) A robin hopped right up like I wasn't even there. Probably wanted to hunt for worms in the wet soil as well as cool off. Like there in NM, today it's a lot windier here (and a little cooler thankfully.)

Cute roadrunner!

I'm hoping they ban fireworks in our part of the country this 4th of July.

Pepper23 What beautiful herbs!!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8640144

Vic's DH Hank took the picture so credit goes to him.
Course w/ such great looking subjects...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8640168

102 degrees with 48% humidity. Yesterday was only 17% and there were grass fires everywhere.
No rain for over 6 weeks and none in the forecast. This is usually our late July weather. Hate to see what that will be. Seems this entire planet is either on fire or flooded.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8640640

Tropic, it's funny you should mention the Robins training their young...LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8640952

I'm glad I don't live any closer to the Missouri River than I do right now. I don't have to worry about it reaching me over here. Due to record snowmelt in the Dakotas, they are releasing the waters and the dams are running at full speed. Here in Missouri, Kansas and in Iowa there are breeched levees everywhere and some are on the verge of being breeched. Some towns will be under water for several months. It's only supposed to get worse.

Right now temps are in the low 90s and very humid. Storms hit again last night, did minor damage to trees and plants and they could be just as intense tonight. Tomorrow it will be hot then temps start going down. Yeah!!!

Next door neighbor's flower bed. Blooming like crazy!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8641089

Beautiful Lilies!

Not to make too much light of the flooding and I
Hate to say this but ...they call them 'Flood Plains' for a reason.
Hint...if your lender makes you buy Flood Insurance... don't buy there.

We have a bunch of areas here where people are flooded out every couple of years.
Duh... MOVE!
Their reason for staying... we've been here for generations!
Well guess what? The people who raised smart kids...
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011

Post #8641350

69°F this evening with scattered thundershowers in the area but dry here so far. What a great week! Mostly moderate temps with low humidity and plenty of sunshine. I've managed to get a lot done. Chance of thunderstorms here all next week.

Ric...You're the proverbial rose between 2 thorns...or is that a thorn between 2 roses? I forget how that goes... ;-)

Bernie...you have some of the nicest looking produce I've ever seen. Wish you were closer... :-)

billyporter...You hit the grandmother jackpot! Great looking babies!

Photo: I bought this old porch post at an auction and made a flower-pot post out of it.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2011
3:16 AM

Post #8641751

e_b how about 'the mulch between two beautiful roses' lol!

Foggy here... both the weather and I

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8641803

68°/86°
Partly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms, possibly severe. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Ric, well, he got to ''shoot'' the tresspasser after all, LOL!

Totally awesome picture!! I never thought much about dragonflies till I had a yard full of different ones all summer. Now I love them!

Tropical, ROTFL!! It wasn't in the rain, but I was out frantically spreading Preen last year before it poured. I got done too :o)

''So there,'' I love it!!

Ladypearl, I agree! She makes a mess for all of us!

Poor poor birds!

With all the fires I don't blame you a bit for wanting the fireworks cancelled. We are getting plenty of rain this early morning. I would have loved to pass it on down!

LouC, at least your weather is fairly normal and you know what to expect.

Celia, I have never seen a shot like that! Awesome!!

Pepper, is that where they had 70' of snow?

I know dams and levees are a good thing, but water will eventually go where it want to go. The elements are hard to contain.

Oooh, the neighbor's flowers are pretty!!

Ric, absolutely!

Thanks Early, jackpot is right! I do feel like I've won something!

Love the old post! You do such neat things with things, LOL!

Ric, I like that one!!

I mowed yesterday a day early because the grass really grew. DH thought I should have waited. Ha! It's pouring rain this morning with more to come and my yard looks great!

Thank goodness I picked peas too :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8641914

Rain, rain, rain! That's our 3 day forecast. We have enough right now.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8641940

We have 4 kittens here. Mother cat had them in a box in our shed. They've been around there their whole life, so are tame.
Yesterday the mother brought in a baby striped gopher. One of the kittens had it & the others wanted to check it out. Lots of running & hiding going on. Finally the kitten was left alone & then figured out how to eat it.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8641983

Bernie, ROTFL!! In another thread I had one more ''rain'' than you put down!!

It started around 1:30am and stopped briefly after sun up. Then it got black. Our power blipped out and we've had some close strikes. I keep checking my neighbor's houses for fire. A house in Muscatine did get struck and they had a fire. It's going to rain most of the day now. We're still hearing thunder.

Laughing over the kitten's antics. I'll bet it was so much fun to watch them!

I found a dead mouse the outdoor cat left me :o(

I put on gloves and grabbed his tail. His side was bulged and he was going to blow soon! I got rid of him!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8642152

Hey , everyone! It's been so busy here with weeding , but the garden looks great with all the roses blooming. And we have another mole...arrrghhhh! But she only dug in the flower bed, not in the lawn. It's funny we have the molechasers we bought last year, but the batteries were dead and we forgot to replace them...then, last week I ran into one with the lawn mower and the next day the mole appeared...isn't it ironic? I replaced teh batteries for only one molechaser, but the mole was still digging, so I moved it closer to the flower bed until I can fix the broken one. It's really broken, but I hope it can be repaired. The lid was broken but I stuck it with superglue and the electronic device is broken too with one wire disconnected. I'll take it to th eoffice where a colleague will try to fix it.
It's been hot in week-end, but we had a T-storm last night. Today has cooled off to 70F.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8642458

Caught the kitty's in a quiet mode.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8642461

My Hostas are looking good. This was new bed last year. Most came from DG Round Up's.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8642466

This is my unfinished pond area.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8642469

More Hostas.

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8642524

Love all the hostas and the sundrops in the next to last picture. I have a bird bath almost exactly like yours and I love it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8642762

Bernie, you have caught the quintessential kitty moment. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8644055

68°/82° Windy... variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms, especially this morning... a few storms possibly severe. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Adina, it's a shame you have moles again, and ran into the molechaser! I hope it can be fixed. Those lawn mowers just get to going don't they?

Your Roses are just beautiful!

Bernie, we love kitty pictures! Those are adorable!! I love calicos, but they are all so cute :o

Beautiful Hosta bed! I'm really starting to love the green and yellow ones.

Love the pond area! I'm a sucker for birdbaths and would have about 10 more if I had good places to put them, LOL! Are those Primrose, (Oenothera fructosa?) If so I love their bright faces!

Another nice Hosta bed! Nice looking dirt too! (I know it's soil, but I grew up on dirt and I like the word :o)

Elena, me too on the birdbath, except mine is a three tier. It's lightweight plastic tho and we have to anchor it down, but I do love the birds on the top!

The sun JUST popped out! We didn't get any rain overnight and have a chance later today. I'm hopeful it wil stay to the West and continue North. Bernie, when it gets to you, you can keep it or send it on, LOL!

Butterfly Weed. The picture doesn't do it justice. The color is the prettiest bright orange.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 21, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8644148

Sally, what a beautiful plant never saw it before! I've killed the mole this morning...I was lucky again! I'm so sorry for her, but more sorry for my garden. She was just coming closer and closer to the molechaser...arrrghhh!
Bernie, wonderful pics! Those kitties are so cute!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8644242

Sally,would you save me some seeds of the butterfly weed? I am going to start saving seeds for trading and planting of anything that is past its blooming time. Eventually we might be able to do some trading at some thread or even start one somewhere. I got Bernie's morning glory seeds from him last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am letting them come up voluntarily this year and they aren't disappointing me. I still have some cypress vine seeds if anyone wants some. I wound up sending plants instead for the last person who wanted seeds. Cost a bit more but I had put off sending them to the embarrassing stage. Have a good day everyone. It is getting hot but they say wit won't be as hot as previously. It is 81 now and going to 87. At least that isn't in the 90s. No rain due today thankfully so maybe we can get some weeds conquered.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8644316

Adina, it has a very long taproot and will grow by water, or in the hot and dry. I'll bet you could grow it. It's Asclepias tuberosa. They have included it in the wildflower plantings they are sowing in our ditches now. The first time I ever saw it was in a ditch in Missouri :o)

The pods are just like Milkweed as it's in the same family. This never spreads a lot, even tho the pods open and the seeds blow. Dang, I can't find the picture I have of the seeds blowing. I'll look for it later.

I'm glad you killed the mole!!!

Elena, I sure will!

We're to be 87* tomorrow.

I need to get busy. Have a good day everyone!!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8644504

Thanks kiddo. I love butterflies and want any plants that will help them to multiply and thrive. We are at 82 now and will also be there tomorrow. That is not bad for us.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8645648

Temps reached low 80s and was breezy. A perfect day all in all.

We just got an update on the Missouri River a couple of hours ago. At Gavins Point Dam in South Dakota they are releasing water at 150,000 cubic feet per second. Tomorrow that will be upped to 155,00 cfs and on Thursday up to 160,000 cfs. They have never released that much at once before. Places north of me are severely flooded due to the Missouri River flooding and levees failing. Now tributaries are also starting to flood. I'm glad the waters can't reach me. Too many bluffs in the way. I may only be 12 miles from the Mighty Mo but I have alot of bluffs in the way. lol

Those of you in the path of the river I hope you all are safe!!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8646039

This is just crazy. Terrible flooding along the rivers and terrible drought for Arizona, NM, and parts of Texas...

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8646460

English Landing Park, where we had our Central Midwest Fall RU in 09', will be under water in Parkville, MO. soon they say. It's right on the Missouri River, here it is in the photo from that day. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8646811

LadyPearl - I agree! The exact same thing is happening in China, too. The north is drought and the south is flooding. They are building a huge pipeline to send water north because the north is considered their breadbasket; it's where they grow their wheat and the crops are just dying. They're the largest wheat consumer in the world.

Still not a drop of moisture. 107 today.

The commercial chile pepper farmers here in NM are really struggling. Even though they have "irrigation water" allotted to them, the crops are failing. Some have already planted twice and lost both crops. I only know of one other person trying to garden this year. No flowers. No veggies. Trees are dying.

We still have city water though.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8646850

Eeeeek! My DH would melt in that heat! He calls that "casino" weather. LOL

Sorry, only 80º hear today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 22, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8646930

We of course are getting rain. 68º
Showers today, they go by fast, but dump a lot of water.

They need to dig a ditch from the Missouri river to west Texas, New Mexico.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8647128

Same here PrissyJo, still hot and dry. We had a cold front come through which brought temps down into the 90' s yesterday. I got out and took care of some yard chores. We have irrigation in this area too but plants are still struggling. It is really sad for the farmers, be they Chinese or American. It takes so much hard work to farm, and then to loose it because of this heat (and drought).

Yep, I like that ditch idea !! : ) Bring the water where it's needed! If only it would be/could be done...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8647147

Witness the Alaska oil pipeline. Anything can be done if there is enough money in it for certain people.

After 2 months, we had rain the last two nights. Temps in mid 90's instead of 102-103. What a difference rain makes from city water. My bill will probably be over $300. and that just barely kept things alive. We live frugally for the most part and our garden is our passion. Our city doesn't ration, just bumps the rate up if you use x amount of water. The higher rate starts with the first gallon.

Have mentioned this before but it is still true. Half the planet is on fire and the other half is flooded. Because of the low humidity and high temps the last two weeks there have been fires everywhere. A piece of glass laying in the sun can start a fire.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8647229

Elena, you're welcome. I have an especially nice, tall plant this year and will save from that one for sure!

Pepper, laughing over the Mighty Mo even tho the situation isn't funny. It's just that I live 20 miles from the Mighty Misssissippi!

I do feel for those flooded. There's no fixing that. You just throw about everything you own away. It's very sad.

Ladypearl, the weather pattern has to change sometime. Nothing in nature is constant. It just seems like it sometimes.

Will, I see how easy it is going to be to flood. I hope it doesn't stay long enough to kill the trees. That's a great place!

PrissyJo, I think that's the most depresing report of all. It's hard to lose your livlihood even for a season. I hope things change.

Celia, Buddha is pretty happy. It all looks Zen behind him!

Bernie, I think they would take that idea! I think they fight over water rights down there.

LouC, it griped me that people have to pay for water, but I guess if you don't have and aquifer, ir it's 200' deep, you take their water.

Isn't this weather and situations terrible!

It's 68* with a north wind. That's our high for today. Unusual, but it's done this before. I really hate a cold June.

Have a great rest of the day! I need to see if it's raining. If not, I'm going out and feed the mosquitos.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8647851

Well we got 3" of rain in under an hour yesterday afternoon.
Many roads are still closed near us due to washout and sink holes forming.
I had 'just' gotten off the Hwy when it hit.
2 guys I work w/, who live in KY, had to wait for 3 hours just to get over to KY.
At one point, just after I got home, all the roads around us were 6" deep or more in running flood water.
Today and tomorrow they will be checking all the minor bridges around here for damage.

I walked thru 8" of water from the truck to the house.
This before the worst hit...LOL!
We've had ENOUGH!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8647879

No rain last night!! LOL. Today was sunny, windy and temps were somewhat mild. All in all nothing to complain about.

Still watching the river. Like Will said, English Landing Park will be under water soon. They have several temporary levees around town set up and are hoping they will hold.

One of my dahilas.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8647940

Sally, I would appreciate it and I will get with you when the time comes to see if either of us has other seeds that might be of interest to trade. Some years I save a lot of seeds and other years I don't. This year will be a saving year if I think they will be seeds someone will want. I don't intent to buy very many plants at the store any longer as they are sky high in price these days. I am going back to my days of making every single penny count as far as spending for high cost plants. Much of my plant collection came from trades anyway, both seeds and plants.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8648422

Today on the new tv said "There is 156 dead" in Joplin, MO...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8648472

63°/64° Rain showers early becoming more intermittent for the afternoon. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Ric, you HAVE had enough and to think I complain about a little intermittent rain.

Pepper, glad no rain for you :o)

I just love Dahlias! Those are beautiful!!

Elena, I seem to save seeds every year. I still have larkspur and a few others from a few years ago, LOL! Eventually I will sow a ditch or tree line in the hopes they will grow. So far I haven't had much luck, but I keep trying.

I buy two, maybe three plants now. I try to divide what I have or learn to plant seed. Shipping is what stopped me, but I did get a plant stand made by DH and now grow nice garden veggies and flowers to transplant :o)

Rusty, that is very sad and I am so glad you aren't counted among them.

Welcome back!

We have a better chance for rain today. I need to get out and walk before it does move in. I just got back into walking, having been to busy all Spring.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8650218

Warm, temps in the 80s. Sunny and windy.

Got the wood loade up for the trip and everything except cold stuff ready to go. Can't wait to plop myself in the river!!

Glad to see you back Rusty!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8650899

Pepper, am I dense or what?? Camping and tubing!!

60°/75° A mix of clouds and sun. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

We are finally going to warm up all week till it's HOT!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8650953

Bright sun!!
No clouds!
Busy day as we will be picking & washing for market. Lots of things ready now.
Kids Flavor Fest at market tomorrow. Nice weather, should be huge crowd.
Our first special event of the year.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8651389

A flavor fest sounds like fun. When are we going? LOL

Hot, 80º and getting hotter. 92º yesterday.

The largest Dracuculus vulgaris, Dragon Lily opened!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8652428

Ug.

At the moment, 5:36 pm, it's 114.6 degrees IN THE SHADE. If you step into the sun, it's fatal. The humidity is so low that it's not registering. How can it be below zero? Unbelievable. They're supposed to get a "thunderstorm" about 100 miles north of us... That literally translates as Lightning with severely high winds... no rainfall expected. They should call it a fire starter instead of a thunderstorm.

I left one of my sprinklers on by mistake today so I'm sure the corn is soaked, but I couldn't step outside to shut it off. The squash is devastated and dead even though I had a timer on it watering it three hours at night and three hours in the morning.

The yarrow is even turning brown. Sunflowers seem okay, and zinnias. Tomatoes and peppers are wilted.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8652693

Sprinklers? What exactly are Sprinklers? LOL!
Yep we had rain again...

Well it's actually warmer now (70°) at 9:45PM than it was at noon!

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8653249

59°/76° Partly cloudy early followed by scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Bernie, I love the ''Kids Flavor Fest!" Neat idea!

Celia, LOL! Yeah, I'd like to go :o)

OH. MY! How awesome is THAT!

Oh Prissy, that sounds terrible! What a disappointment in the garden too :o(

I don't know how you can deal with the heat.

Ric, drowning isn't much better, LOL!

LOVE the mystery plant!

It was a good day with the boys yesterday. We got each of them a bouncy ball and a four pack of Play-Doh. We played with both most of the day. When it got dark, we lit all the sparklers we bought too :o) It was the first they ever had and were so excited!

Baby Oriole left the nest.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8653929

Of course it rained at the market. Not much, but it thinned the crowd.

We decided a way to stimulate the economy. Fire all the weather people. We don't need them because they are never right anyhow! Was supposed to be 80º & Sunny. It is cloudy, rainy, & 70º. How much more wrong can you be ?
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8655121

Hi everyone~~

It's hard to believe, again, the flooding some of you have, the cool and rainy weather some of you have, and the drought and heat that some of us have. I think flooding would be the worst, or the tornadoes, because people are losing everything, including their lives in some cases.

My county has been officially named a disaster by the US Dept of Agriculture. But, what does that mean? I don't really think they know how to make rain clouds. One year without a drop of moisture. Does it mean they will pay the commercial farmers that couldn't grow anything? They named it a disaster area because of the drought, high winds and wildfires. But the heat itself is debilitating. It was 85 degrees this morning at 3 am. It's already 90 at 5am. Yesterday was 114.7. UV index still off the charts at 12+.

One of the worst things is the older and younger people, and the animals. The vets have reported being swamped with dogs and cats with burned paws and heat stroke and are warning people not to walk their dogs on any pavement or sidewalk. Luckily I have a fenced yard so my little guys can sneak outside and do their business on the grass. The people are experiencing dizziness, headaches and weakness before the heat strokes. I'm having to wear one of those cooling bandanas around my neck and on my forehead INSIDE even though we have central heat/air. It's the people that don't have it who are suffering the most. Some of them aren't making it, some are just suffering and doing the best they can. But when it's 114 in the shade and the dry ground is bouncing the heat back up to you, you can't get much relief. The people who have to go out in the sun are being severely warned not to. It's like stepping into an open fire.

July is our "monsoon" season. We usually get five inches of rain, used to be 10, in that month, but the drought has been going on for so long now that people say, yeah, we got 10 inches... one drop here and one drop ten inches over here... but this year, there's no rain at all predicted so far, just the continuing heat.

I've been out watering this morning with a flashlight. Again, I'm so surprised and grateful that we still have city water.

Our front and back screened porches were completed yesterday and they're beautiful. I haven't been able to go outside and clean them like I want to though... maybe today.

It's harsh. The river flowing through the town is dried up. The nature preserve lake is dried up. The other lake we have is being fed by a well, pumping water in to try to keep the stocked fish alive.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8655807

That is some heat and drought there, PrissyJo. The temperature is okay here, but the flooding is pretty bad not far away. Its only 86° F here right now, according to weather.com - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US Eek, good thing cactuses don't need much water!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8656457

Back from float trip and had a great time!! Weather was perfect for being in the water. Hot during the day and cold at night. Late yesterday afternoon it got really hot and really humid there for awhile. The air was so still that the leaves weren't even moving. So we drove down to the river and cooled off til dark. Would have been back sooner but there were some drunk kids down there and one unclipped his keys from his shorts in the water and they floated off. We stayed and tried to help. He finally found them this morning under the truck on the beach. He got lucky.

Today was hot but not too bad. Especially when driving with the windows down!! LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8656836

Glad you had a good time, Pepper.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8657164

70°/82° Occasional thunderstorms - possibly severe during the afternoon hours. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds.
Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Bernie, I like how you would save the economy! Sorry the market got rained out.

Prissy Jo, no fun being named a disaster :o(

Wow, that paints a pretty bleak picture for animals and people. I pray you get relief. That's more than a person can take.

I think it would be cruel to not provide your town with water. I hope you get something to eat from youir garden.

Wow, someone worked on your porches in the heat? I hope you get to enjoy them one of these days.

That is one bleak picture!

Pepper, I'm glad your tubing trip was perfect!!

That kid got very lucky!!

I spent all day yesterday outside trying to get things done before it rained again. My spinach is officially over. The peas are picked and I don't care for them. I won't buy them again. Some of the pods only have one pea in them. That's a waste of shelling time!

I potted up plants for friends and the fre pile and we're crossing our fingers over getting a driveway this week or next. It just keeps raining :o(

We had big winds, plenty of lightning, loooong rumbly thunder, but not a heavy downpour. I see a few sticks and a branch in the yard, but my plants aren't flattened. I think the wind stayed high.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 27, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8657623

Strong NW wind. 75º Sunny.

We sold out even with rainy day! Could have sold a few more eggs.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2011

Post #8658452

Hot and humid today. Had strong storms roll thru early this morning.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8659134

Yes the heat is a serious problem by itself. But without rain, our bushes and trees are beginning to die. We hope/pray the weather patterns do change soon.
Thankfully there is a ban on fireworks this year with a penalty of fines. It's just too easy for fires to start and get out of control.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 12:35 AM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8659329

61°/80° Plentiful sunshine. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Bernie, how wonderful to sell out! People are going to have a healthy summer with all that natural food!

Pepper, we had rain early and were done!!

Ladypearl, I sure hope you don't lose anything. Last year Kentucky had a serious drought and they are getting the rain this year. Hang in there!!

The fires have amazed me. How terrible to have so much burn with out stopping.

It's gong to be cool and sunny. We haven't had much sun lately, but I need to mow already. If the driveway guys don't show up we're going for a load of mulch. The grapes are almost bare. We have the weed barrier down, so they need covered.

No name Daylily

Thumbnail by billyporter

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8660879

Here's the weather in Joplin, MO:

Tomorrow:
96* Real Feel 104* A thunderstorm in spots

Thursday:
101* Real Feel 111*

Friday:
97* Real Feel 101*

As today, it got cooling around 70's this morning so I did mow front and half of back yard...
Then got up to 86*...

Praying Mantis

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8660898

Decent with temps in the low 80s today and sunny. Tomorrow temps shoot up to the 90s and we will have at least 2 days in the 100s. Gonna be a scorcher!!

The town I work in is now preparing to go without water service. The wells are in the Missouri River and from what I have heard are already submerged to a point but still working. They are trying to find ways to keep them running but the options are limited. Once the pumps quit it could be anywhere from a few days to a couple months that we have no water there. Where I live and other towns around us have alternative sources of water so are ok but not Odessa. Gonna be interesting.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2011
12:25 AM

Post #8661472

What a gorgeous daylily, billyporter! Glad the winds spared your plants.

Cute little mantis looks like it's on the hunt.

PrissyJo, you mentioned in your June 26 post that you didn't think they can make rain clouds. Well I don't know if they can make enough to help our drought situation, but check out this video about what NASA can do. I don't think it would it would be much fun to hear that loud noise, but having the clouds would be wonderful.
http://gatewaytoheaven.ning.com/video/nasa-weather-modification

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8661633

58°/84° Abundant sunshine. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, I am glad to be cooler this week. You are going to bake!

I mowed yesterday and am glad I did! I took a lot of breaks for popsicles and drinks.

Love the Praying Mantis picture!!

Oh Pepper, no water. That's scary! It's scarier thinking about drinking from the river. How do they ever get it clean? The town noth-west of us used to and it was clorinated so bad. They finally upgraded and are drinking groundwater now.

Ladypearl, it has been gorgeous, even tho the mosquitos and biting flies are bad. They finally drove me in last night and I had mosquito spray on. Twice!

Wow, I've never heard of that before. They've come a long way from seeding clouds. I bookmarked the link to read up on it later. Thanks!

We had a puzzler this morning.

The last two nights we've set out the live trap for what we thought were racoons leaving their piles in the yard.

This morning DH found the trap drug to the sidewalk and I noticed a lot of prints in the yard. They tried to dig under the trap, but the egg and marshmallow inside weren't disturbed. The trap was sprung. Coyote or racoon?

Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8662914

There is an aquafier under the river and that is where our drinking water comes from. But the wells are situated on the river itself. The Missouri is called the Big Muddy so it would be too expensive to make that water clean enough to drink. I'd be afraid to anyways. lol

HOT!! Excessive heat warnings in place til Friday night. Temps reached around 90 for a high but heat indexes were in the low 100s.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 29, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8663240

Well, it took all month but summer has arrived here in southern MN. Air conditioners are running full speed.
85º today.
95 to 100 tomorrow.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 29, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8663415

Getting cold here and raining. Temps have dropped down to 65F.
Sally, I hope they didn't ruin the lawn! Love the Baby Oriole..how sweet!
Fleabane on my field.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8663548

68°/93° Plentiful sunshine. Hot. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

Pepper, I'm glad to hear about the aquifer! I can't stand the thought of drinking filthy river water.

Stay cool at work! Are the greenhouses still filled at work?

Bernie, that's summer! We gathered cool air all night and will close up soon. I'll bet we don't run the air till late this afternooon, or even tomorrow.

Adina, the lawn is fine. They only scratched a little bit.

Fleabane is pretty!

I sat up for a while watching the trap. Nothing came around. We had it staked this time. No one pooed in the yard either.
PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8663928

Hi Everybody. Still experiencing averages of 108 but it seems so cool compared to the 115! The winds are calmer.

Ok. I admit it. I did a rain dance... and even though it wasn't forecast, I got a couple of drops on my arm, but 5 miles away, they had a downpour! Nobody could believe it. Next time I'll be more selfish and say, hey, right HERE!

Fire raging a couple of hours north is scary around Los Alamos. Still not contained. The governor said she can only ban fireworks on state property. So if any crazies try to use them around here, the rest of us will be in trouble as the houses are very close together.

LadyPearl - LOVED that video!! I also watched the original BBC version and it took billions of gallons of fuel to produce that rain cloud... wish they had faced it our way!!!!!

I see your entire state is now a disaster area, too. Apparently it only means that commercial growers and ranchers can borrow money at lower interest rates.

Will - hope your flooding is easing off.

Pepper any word on water for Odessa?

Bernie - I'm still longing for your veggies and eggs. Will a state government shut down tomorrow have any effect on you???

Sally - Can't wait to find out if that was a coyote. They usually work in packs around here and really are very wiley. Raccoons are smart, but are they that strong? Do you have any big skunks? That daylily is so gorgeous and so is your whole yard!!!!!

Well, I'm gonna go do another dance...

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 30, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8664040

Beautiful roses, Prissy! Doing the rain dance for you too...I'll be happy to send some rain over to your place...it's been raining all day here...grrr!
Sally, why did you set the trap? Glad they didn't damaged the lawn.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

PrissyJo
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8664116

Adina - thank you for the dance! Glad you got your rain, I remember when you were having a drought, too. Those flowers are so pretty, I would just sit down right in the middle of them!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 30, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8664190

They will play it to the end. 11PM tonight or later is when they will finally agree on something.
Going for near 100º today.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8665043

Hot, with temps reaching over 100 for a high today. Very humid also. Excessive heat warning still in effect. Supposed to drop down to the high 80s next week sometime.

So far there is water. They don't know when or even if they will lose service. They just check the wells everyday. RIght now it's just a waiting game.

The greenhouse has been down at work for several weeks now. We usually take it down around Father's Day, though earlier this year. All plants are finally gone!! With this heat, I'm kinda glad. lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8665788

July thread;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193706/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America