Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: My Arbor swing is in full bloom

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 16, Views: 328
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 1, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8600892

My father made this for me a few years ago for a birthday gift and I planted Gold flame Honeysuckel and Dream Weaver Climbing roses on each side. 3rd year now and they are doing well.

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 1, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8600899

Close up of the flowers

Thumbnail by jess2132000

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 1, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8601160

Ooooh! Beautiful! I want one.
MajiA
Kenner, LA

June 1, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8601249

That is super gorgeous. I am with porkpal... I want one too :)
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8602145

That is beautiful! I want one too...with a couple of Noisettes growing on it...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8603306

I would love the Arbor Trellis. You have a great dad.
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8603416

Wow, what a gorgeous swing! I want one! Could your Dad make another for a price?
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 2, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8604669

This was the first year it was built 2009. The roses were just planted.

Thumbnail by jess2132000

meganEmelia
Rochester, NY

June 4, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8609582

It is just beautiful! Wow, I can't believe how quickly it has grown -only two years and it looks as though it has been there forever. Thanks for posting it. I really like being able to see how things look in different stages, It helps me be able to visualize what is possible. It's just beautiful,what a great gift from your dad!
maureenpm00
Lindenhurst, NY

June 5, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8611483

That is so beautiful, it could be on the cover of a magazine. Very lovely.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
3:48 AM

Post #8612079

Ask your Father is he wants to adopt me? My birthday's coming up in August and I could use one of those beautiful arbors! Beautiful arbor and beautiful roses. I bet the fragrance from the honeysuckle and roses is marvelous! Did he have plans that he made the arbor from or just made it from His own plans in his head? I bet it is delightful sitting there and looking over all your gardens with a cup of coffee or hot tea or iced tea. Good book reading spot!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8612085

I'm assumming he used pressure treated lumber? What does he have the post of the arbor in? I am thinking of several methods but I can't think of what it is called now. We used them when we built our deck at our former home. I can see them perfectly but having a Sr. moment! Plus that was built back in Spring of 1995..Gosh, I do miss my screened in porch and deck! We downsized 6 yrs. ago to a gated, Sr. Citizens community and we probably couldn't have one of those. Have a large concrete breezeway between house and garage, if there was no concrete. Do you have any pavers in front of the arbor placed in the mulch?
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8613254

You're so lucky to have a dad who is so handy.
OMG what a most beautiful spot to relax,directly out in the garden among your gorgeous roses.

I always wanted Dream Weaver since I saw it first several years ago in a J&P catalog.I even spoke wit a rep about it and she at that time told me she thought it wouldn't do good in my zone which was zone 4 at the time ( has been upgraded to zone 5 a couple of years ago )
I absolutely LOVE your arbor and your dad is a sweetheart !!

( BTW we have a similar set up but it is attached to the house on the back porch ( upstairs ) the swing isn't on right now because we are going to paint the whole porch )
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8617470

I love swings and have one I very much enjoy; but if I had one like yours, with all the beautiful flowers growing on it, I would not get very much done in the garden. What a wonderful present from your father - makes it even more special!

Tussee

jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 8, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8618887

We used 10 foot post and put them down deep in the ground. the arbor is about 7 foot high. We also have some anchers in the ground to keep it there. Its heavy and yes pressure treated wood. I saw a plan on Ebay. A guy that builds them and sells them on there had measurements and my Dad worked off those. We kinda added a few things and changed some measurements but he at least had some kinda guideline. He is amazing and its such a nice gift. He is 80 now so not into making anymore of these but likes to swing on it when he comes over for a visit. We do not have pavers under it but thinking of adding some so our feet are not in the mulch all the time!!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8622852

Maybe Jess will have a garden party and invited all of us so we can sit and swing while we are drinking our cocktails..Do we have to wear our best hat to this garden party? No gloves, it's too hot!

Absolutely beautiful and great having not only a thoughtful Dad but one who's extremely handy with tools and knows how to use them. Yes, pavers would be a smart idea, also save on your mulch being knocked out of the bed or getting smashed down or drug in the house on somebody's shoes.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8639042

I liked pictures of Dreamweaver as well, but could only find it in grafted form. I am in zone 6a and have had much better results with own root roses. Seeing it growing so well in your zone tempts me...

Pippi, my birthday is in August also, maybe her Dad wants to adopt twins!!!!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2011 7:35 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America