-
AuthorContent
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8601626

I was just wondering if anyone would like to share an easy chicken pot pie recipe? Thanks in advance!
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8601708

Chicken Pot Pie

Serving Size : 6

2 cups chopped cooked chicken (light or dark meat or a mixture)
2 cups chicken broth (or one can)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
2 small potatoes or more to taste -- peeled and chopped
1 cup frozen peas -- thawed
5 tablespoons butter (Divided)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup half and half
1 teas. salt or to taste
1/2 teas. pepper
1/2 package refrigerated pie crusts -- (15 oz)
1 teas. flour

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan, Add onion and cook until softened add broth, carrots, and potaotes and cook until tender, add peas during last couple minutes. In small pan melt 3 Tbsp butter, add flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add broth (drained from vegetables) and half and half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in vegetables, chopped chicken, add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into lightly greased deep dish 9 inch pie plate.
Unfold 1 piecrust and press out fold lines. sprinkle with 1 teas. flour, spreading over surface. Fold edges under and crimp; cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown, covering edges with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excess browning.
Depending on what is on hand, if I've baked the chicken I may use left over giblet gravy added to the broth and cream, adding a pinch of sage, some chopped parsley, etc..for additional flavor.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8604020

This is one I tried. It is from America's Test Kitchen.

Ingredients
Filling

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
2 small celery ribs, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
Table salt and ground black pepper
10 ounces Shitakii mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and sliced thin
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon tomato paste
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
3/4 cup frozen baby peas

Crumble Topping

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Instructions

1. FOR THE CHICKEN: Bring chicken and broth to simmer in covered Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until chicken is just done, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to large bowl. Pour broth through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup and reserve. Do not wash Dutch oven. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.

2. FOR THE TOPPING: Combine flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in large bowl. Sprinkle butter pieces over top of flour. Using fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in Parmesan. Add cream and stir until just combined. Crumble mixture into irregularly shaped pieces ranging from 1/2 to inch each onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until fragrant and starting to brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Set aside.

3. FOR THE FILLING: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, carrots, celery, teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, shred chicken into small bite-size pieces. Transfer cooked vegetables to bowl with chicken; set aside.

4. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in empty Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their juices, about 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir in soy sauce and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, mushrooms are well browned, and dark fond begins to form on surface of pan, about 5 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to bowl with chicken and vegetables. Set aside.

5. Heat butter in empty Dutch oven over medium heat. When foaming subsides, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in reserved chicken broth and milk. Bring to simmer, scraping pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, then continue to simmer until sauce fully thickens, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons parsley.

6. Stir chicken-vegetable mixture and peas into sauce. Pour mixture into 13 by 9-inch baking dish or casserole dish of similar size. Scatter crumble topping evenly over filling. Bake on rimmed baking sheet until filling is bubbling and topping is well browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon parsley and serve.

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8604250

Thank you both. These recipes sound WONDERFUL! I wonder about something though- do you think if I omitted the onion in either of these recipes, if they would still be as tasty. I am making this through Mealtrain for a lady from our church who was recently diagnosed with cancer and just had a double mastectomy. She has specified a dietary restriction of no onion and no garlic. Kind of hard to make something tasty without aromatics, buy I'll try to do my best.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8611805

It might make it a bit blander. You could add a parsnip, instead of the onion, to help in flavoring the filling.

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8651467

I know this is late but I use leeks sometimes or onion powder. I like lots of veggies in mine:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America