Photo by Melody

Article: Snakes in the Garden- the Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Sharp Tailed Snake

Communities > Forums > Article: Snakes in the Garden- the Good, the Bad and the Ugly
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snakes in the Garden- the Good, the Bad and the UglyReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8602011

Thanks for the wonderful article! I love snakes in the wild, but have a healthy respect for them as I spent my younger years in a rural desert area of southern CA that was frequented by Rattlesnakes and so was taught to admire from a distance and never handle them. I have found an exception though! While we still have plenty of Rattlesnakes where I now live, along with numerous harmless snakes varieties, the most irrisistibly adorable snakes around are the Sharp Tailed Snake "contia tenuis." The first time I found one, I was very suprised. They are tiny little things, maxing out at about 12in, and I have found some no more than about 3in long! They are so cute and so tiny. I live in an oak forested area, and so I tend to find them in the moist leaves or under stones or planters. They are rosy red on top, and generally grey on the belly. They look almost like a worm, particularly the smallest ones. They are just so cute with their delicate proportions and little tiny rasping tongues. I did some research to find out what variety they are, at first thinking they were just a juvenile form of some other variety of snake, but those little 12in guys are full grown! They feed mostly on slugs, so they are very welcome in my garden!

I've include an image from the website californiaherps.com, and you can go to this link for more info on the species: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.tenuis.html

Thumbnail by ogon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8603580

nice find... never seen one of those
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8829299

Here is a new picture of one of my resident Contia tenuis. Found this little guy under a pile of oak leaves in my front yard :)

Thumbnail by ogon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8829455

nice!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snakes in the Garden- the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Timely article Cville_Gardener 0 May 24, 2011 5:21 AM
good info. oriole 0 May 24, 2011 6:11 AM
coral snake irisMA 3 May 31, 2011 9:30 AM
scared LouC 13 Jun 1, 2011 3:38 PM
Great article, some suggestions... nmcnear 7 May 31, 2011 2:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America