Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: June 2011+ Mid Atlantis Birds

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 52, Views: 295
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8602491

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177406/

Saw a bluebird yesterday!!!!! I've probably seen eight or nine in my lifetime. The friend who was with me didn't see it and asked,"What's so special about seeing a bluebird?" Sigh...

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8602509

Judy----

Why did you open a new Thread after just 20-30 something Posts?????
Usually, this happens after about 200 Posts...

Just wondering...We still were all talking about Birds...
.Was anything out of context???

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8602558

Sally, I "borrowed" your bird house pic as I don't have a picture of a bluebird. Maybe some one here does?

I'm also enjoying the company of a crow that perches on a dead branch in my favorite sit under and rest a spell tree. They sure are smart birds. I read somewhere that crows are able to identify individual human beings (friend or foe) and pass on that recognition to their offspring! I think I'm on the friend list ever since I put out some chunks of jalapeno cornbread followed by some blue berries and strawberries!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8602760

I see bluebirds at Kinder Park , coleup. Before going in the gate., turn left towards the athletic fields, and look for them near the bluebird house near the lake.
First ever bluebird for me was Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary- what a pretty bird they are.
Crows are smart.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8603679

I visited my sister in Richmond over the holiday weekend. She has birdfeeders and houses all over her yard and has 2 Bluebirds nesting in the houses. They are beautiful and I enjoyed watching them as well as the Cardinals and others.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8655624

I was sitting on the dock at the pond last weekend and an osprey circled and tried to land in one of the trees. I guess he didn't judge it exactly right, so he flew back up, circled, and came in for a second landing attempt. Still didn't work out, but the third attempt worked like a charm. The limb he landed in was about 30' from where I was sitting, so I had a pretty good view of his activities. He spent about an hour cleaning his feathers and getting situated, and then tucked his head under his wing and was in for the night. Pretty interesting to watch. He was still there when I got up in the morning, and then by 7:00 am he was gone. I've only seen an osprey one other time at the pond, but that was years ago, and he had just swooped in and snagged one of the rainbow trout! They are HUGE birds.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8655871

How Cool, What a great experience.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8656255

Great Terri!

We went paddling yesterday in the huge marsh off the Potomac at Indian Head. Several good sightings of great blue herons, in the trees or marsh, taking off or landing.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8656368

OK! Must think of something bird-related to mention...

The other morning--about 5:30AM--as I was driving to work on a rather busy
road--there was this Buzzard chowing down on some remains that was hit by a car.

As my car approached--another car to my right went past me.
The Buzzard was right on the dividing line of the lanes on this road...
As the other car passed--at 50+ mph---it just jumped about a foot to the left--
towards me about to pass it.
He never flinches as I did! Just kept pickin at the remains of the road kill.

I did happen to see that he was a large bird--his wings semi-spread as he was
working on this dead thing...

I thought--How brave of this Buzzard to almost pay NO attention to
cars driving by it at over 50mph...

The road kill here is either squirrels--Coons--or Possums...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8667077

Yes they amaze me next to roads, so do the crows. Seems like they just know that cars wil stay on one side of the line, but who told them that?
I heard a barred owl this eve ning, a rare thing in this neighborhood.
gold finch have found some sun flowers ready to eat, now when I approach the veg garden if I remember to go slow I can watch them

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8836689

This forum has been so quiet... hellooooo... Or should I say cuckoooooooo :-)

Anyway, autumn is here and some birds are leaving us for the south. I wish the hummers were all gone for their own sake, but a few are still hanging around. Never thought they could make it through last weekend's cold nights.

I have no bird pics to post, but I do have two photos related to birds. This little chipmunk eats thistle seeds! I never knew chipmunks could climb thin metal poles. Anyway, he is a cute little guy.

Will post the 2nd pic in the next post (wish DG would allow multiple pics per post).

This message was edited Oct 5, 2011 10:34 AM

Thumbnail by donnerville

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8836691

Who needs a circus when you have acrobatic squirrels!

Thumbnail by donnerville

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8837042

Great shots donnerville!!! I've never seen a chipmunk off the ground.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8846118

LOL Donner we were just watching the squirrels at my Parents home on Monday they sure kept us entertained. Especially watching my Mom try to chase them away just to return only a minute later.
How about a few North Carolina birds.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8846125

Taking flight

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8846126

Gone

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8846165

I'm hearing chickadees a lot this week.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8846236

My Grandson says his Vermont bird friends are "Heading your way, Grandma"

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8846385

What birds are they, Holly? They look like some sort of water birds. Lovely pics! Thanks for sharing.

The feeder we have is a pretty one, looking like a modern sculpture. The looks are totally ruined by our attempt at stopping squirrels from getting to the food. The yellow disc in the picture was a sign we bought from the Home Depot and the green thing was a plastic cutting mat. We tried a variety of other contraptions before this one. Although squirrels were frustrated by the new obstacle each time (hilarious to watch), eventually they always figured out how to overcome it.

They win every round :-(
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8847001

Interesting, I didn't know they had birds in Atlantis. :-) Do they fly like puffins? Ric
metopa
Port Matilda, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8847418

I had to dump out the thistle seed my husband had put in a regular feeder by mistake. I thought maybe the birds might pick at it. Imagine my surprise when I came out to look at it next day and the entire pile was gone! the chipmunks probably filled their little storehouses full! Speaking of chippers, I have a squirrel-proof feeder, the kind with a surrounding cage, which kept them out just fine, but the chipmunks could shinny up the pole and climb into the feeder through the holes in the cage. I had to get a baffle for the pole!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8847707

I just looked closely at the thistle that sat out, ignored, in my feeder this summer. It was moldey and full of worms... BLLLLEECCCHHH
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9114961

I had to revive this old thread to share with you my excitement!

Coleup, I saw a "shiny cowbird" in my backyard! I actually saw two of them land briefly and fly away. I'm familiar with the common birds by now (blue jay, red throated woodpecker, oriole, cardinal), but I was so surprised at this bird's iridescent sheen and the dark body and dark blue head. I googled and shiny cowbird is the only one that fit.

And I looked it up in DG and came across your posting! This is so exciting, and strange that this South American native is now here in MD.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9115281

Cool, thats new by me.
I've been loving the bird songs with the spring mornings. House wren, though a pest bird, has a constant gurgling song these days. He makes several nests and then calls to get a lady friend interested.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9115304

Wrens are my fav :-)

We saw a grosbeak last year, and again recently. Very exciting. We had to look online up and down to figure out what it was.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9115333

Awesome, Sally. I've only had them once that I know of. Its so exciting to see new birds!

Carolina wrens with the bold eye stripe are OK. House wrens, more dull coloration but elaborate song, are said to be nest predators, esp of bluebirds

Nuthatches are common for me but I didn't know that for a long time, till I learned how to hear them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9115355

It has been a very long time--but a Mockingbird is back sitting on my neighbor's
old TV antenna on the roof.
Such lovely songs--never the same...Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9115359

I think it's amazing you all can ID birds by sound. The only sound I can ID are the owls' hoos and the pecking of woodpeckers.

I also can't ID the females very well. They all look brown and plain to me.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9115390

Yes, Sally. I meant the Carolina wrens with white 'eye brows'. They are such good singers!

I don't think I have ever seen house wrens. Or maybe I just didn't notice them very much.

Hummers are also back. We put the feeder out later this year and have only seen a few of them so far.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9115407

One at a time, ssg- it took me awhile!

THe Carolina wren will come to my deck for crumbs, He/she is friendly and so cute!
Hope the hummer sees my Coral honseysuckle; I've been thinking how much they would like it.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9115417

Oh, mockingbird! That's the common bird I see everyday in my backyard! I don't think I've seen any carolina wrens, though.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9115418

ss It is exciting to spot and id a new bird!

The shiny cow bird I wrote about last year and you found the link to in your id search is back again this year! The shinys are much more loners than other cowbirds I've read about. Last year this one was a threesome, then a twosome and then a loner for most of summer. Loved to take baths in a hidden pool of standing water. Enjoyed it so much that instead of draining it I threw in mosquito dunks! This return bird her or him sits on the same branch and scolds me when I come into its territory. It sounds very close to the bird song I listened to last night here

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Shiny_Cowbird/sounds

Thumbnail by coleup

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9115662

Momma sitting on her eggs under the deck on our gas line to the bbq

Thumbnail by flowAjen

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9116277

Wow, you all take such wonderful pictures.

FlowAjen, what kind of a bird is that?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9116281

Mourning Dove
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9225220

Mid-At bird experts, please help me identify a bird!

Today I saw a small bird feasting on the seeds (flowers?) of donnerville's Golden Jubilee agastache.

It was a small bird, but definitely not a hummingbird.

I couldn't get close enough to get a good look, but it had a dark edge to its wings. That is, the rest of the body was neutral colored, maybe beige or light brown, but the edges of the wings were possibly dark blue or dark brown.

I think the neck might have been more colorful (maybe yellowish?), but this bird just wouldn't let me take a good look!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9225370

finch?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9225412

Yeah, I was thinking maybe a juvenile goldfinch they definitely are seed eaters
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9225418

Yipee! Thank you! I think juvenile goldfinch is it!

I thought I saw a bit of yellow there on its neck and also when it flew away. :)

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9225426

Oh, and I did some googling after your tip, and found these pics:

http://www.pbase.com/hemlepp/finches

http://www.pbase.com/hemlepp/image/72194247

That's a great website for a newbie like me!

That second pic is exactly what it looked like. Thank you again!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9225446

I went to Costco today--as my one year membership is soon to expire--and p/u some supplies.

I will not be renewing--as I do not need to shop for the large quantities of things they sell.
BUT--It is SO tempting...Everything looks so inviting...
One thing I picked up was a 40lb bag of Audubon Bird seed for $19.99. Great deal!
Reading the contents list--there was NO Milo listed!!! I hate Milo--no birds eat this!
Ingredients were just both kinds of Sunflower seeds--Sunflower seed kernels--Millet---and Safflower seeds.

Will save it for winter when the birdies are starving...Right now--I am NOT really putting out bird seed.
I could--but the ravenous squirrels would trash the feeder. Then any Rabbits in residence (have not seen any lately)
would come and feed on the bird seed--as would Chipmunks and other Rodents...

Mostly I joined Costco so that my daughter would have a card--but she now shops, exclusively, at Aldis
to save money. What a GREAT place to shop!!! PLEASE look into this place if you not have done this yet!
Limited supplies--but you can get everything you need---for a lot cheaper prices.

Again to repeat----Aldis does not take Credit cards--Only Debit cards.
The do not provide free bags for your Groceries--but you can buy them--if you did not bring any.
You have to bag your own purchases in your own bags. NO BIGGIE!!!
You have to insert a quarter to get a cart--but you get it back when you return the cart.

In the end--you save a lot of money! Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9332752

I need your help with another bird ID!

I saw a group of 3-4 birds that were very small -- not much bigger than hummingbirds.

They had fat, rounded white bellies and possibly blue (?) coloring on the back or throat.

Sorry, that's all I got! Any ideas?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9332755

SS--

I am not the bird expert here...Ask Sallyg--or get a bird book and check it out.
Sorry! Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9332764

Gita, I've been looking at various bird websites, and I think it might be a white-belly variety of a warbler.

It might have been on its way south for winter.

I thought it could be a chickadee, except it seems this isn't chickadee territory.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9332947

Chickadee aren't usually seen in groups
Did they have a crest?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9332952

I put in what I could from the description you gave and came up with
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/351/_/Blue-gray_Gnatcatcher.aspx#history
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9333043

ss

I often see chicadees here and in 'groups'. Don't know where you or Jen got your info to the contrary.
Chicadees are "little" and visit my yard and feeders regularly as part of a mixed group of birds I think mine are Carolina Chickadees. Have you seen them again? They are "Birds Every Marylander Should Know".

http://wildmaryland101.blogspot.com/2012/04/birds-every-marylander-should-know.html

Also, as weather and climate patterns have shifted, so have bird territories and migratory routes.!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9333048

Maybe when I see them they already have their food idk??? They take the food (after foraging in mixed group) and retreat alone to a tree branch
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9333059

Good point Jen. Mine do seem to take turns and as one is flying away, another is flying in! It's like juggling, because the one flyoing in from a nearby branch closest to the feeder is immediately replaced by the next waiter in line. One day I tried to follow where each bird flew to after picking up a snack. One bird made over nine trips to the same 'thicket' and re emerged almost immediately to get in line again.. I have read that they will cache some of their food to eat later. A lot of days last winter a woodpecker or two seemed to be part of the 'mixed flock'. Cute enjoyable little birds!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9333080

Have to get my feeders back up took them down for the hurricane...but they are saying we may get hit with another nor'easter next week...geez a loo!!!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9333338

Coleup, thank you for that website! I need to read it carefully.

I'd looked at some maps that showed chickadee habits. They must've been for a different variety, because the map didn't include part of the country.

Jen, that gnatcatcher is also a definite possibility.

What I remember the most about the bird is how round and white the tummy was, and how little it was.

I will let you all know if I see them again. I'll try to get a better look at the secondary colors.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9333463

Another possibility hit me, cause I saw one today was a dark eyed Junco(female in your case)
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?allSpecies=y&searchText=dark%20eyed%20junco&curGroupID=1&lgfromWhere=&curPageNum=1
and I def see them more in groups
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9340549

Please join us over here...
as we continue to observe the little birds that visit our backyards this winter!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1288659/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America