NEW Christmas /or WINTER theme block swap PART 3

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Ok, your new room! We came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1170150/

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 5:47 PM

1 Psychw2 (Pat) Winter theme(or floral) , hunter greens and burgundys/pinks... (or Red/WHITE/Blue ... or Pink & Black!)
2 Qulter5dbsr (Barb) Winter anycolor
3 FluStu (Stuart) Winter or civil War, scrappy... use your stash
4 Bettypauze - (Betty) Christmas
5 Helenethequeen - (Helene )Christmas Traditional colors
6 Taters55 -(Linda) Christmas, Red, Green & Gold.
7 LadybugNH (Gloria) Winter theme with blue and white and any other winter colors.
8 Housse301 (Laura) NO Christmas, scrappy
9 Jumper2 (Lucy ) Either, Christmas or winter
10. Mystery (NO name) AND wants NO blocks... LOL, just wants to sew!
11 BarefootT (Thunder) Christmas/Winter...reds, greens, blues..Lights, ornaments, snowflakes...SNOWMEN!!!
12 Mittsy (Mittsy!) Christmas in traditional colors BLING??
13 Cheriffic (Cher) Christmas in traditional colors.
14. Silioegma - (Karen) Winter theme
15 Syrumani (Nicole) TREES!!! Love Christmas trees.
16 Ladydragon5 (Janice) Christmas colors, red, forest green, gold.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2011 5:31 PM

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

First time that I'm the first one...

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Congrats Stu!!!!

This is for Stu - Re: triangle squares. Use two fabrics that contrast in color....

Method One: Use two same size squares to make ONE triangle square.
To determine what size square you need to cut, add 1/2" to the desired finish size of the triangle square. For ex: for a finished triangle square that is 2 1/2" square, use 3" squares.
Draw diagonal line down center of lighter color. Sew just to the right of the line. Trim to 1/4" seam.
2 1/2"(finished size) plus 1/2" = 3"

Method two: Use two same size squares to make TWO triangle squares.
To determine what size squares you need to cut, add 7/8" to the desired finished size. For ex: for a finished triangle square that is 2 1/2" square, use 3 3/8" squares. Draw diagonal line down center of the lighter color. Sew 1/4" on both sides of the line. Cut on drawn line.
2 1/2"(finished size) plus 7/8" = 3 3/8"

Method three: Use two same size squares to make FOUR triangle squares.
To determine what size squares you need to cut, mutliply the desired finished size by 2, then add 1 3/4". For ex: for a finished triangle square that is 2 1/2", use 6 3/4" squares.
Draw diagonal lines on the lighter fabric both ways forming an X. Then draw top to bottom and side to side through the center to form a +. Sew 1/4" on both sides of both DIAGONAL lines. Cut top to bottom through center and side to side through center. Then cut triangles on diagonal line...
2 X 2 1/2(finished size)=5 plus 1 3/4" = 6 3/4"

I hope this is what you've been looking for. Please let me know if it helped you.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Barb, I don't know about Stu but I found that very helpful. Thank you.

I'm glad Robin. Sometimes these things can be so complicated and I found a bit of info to share to make it easier...

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you so much. I have saved it in a word document format.
Mittsy

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

WOW!!!!!! Thanks Barb. You don't know how much I appreciate that.

I found that for 12.5 inch pinwheel squares, I use 10" squares to start and for 8.5 inch, I use 6 inch squares.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Barb, you are an angel!! Thanks for the info. I hope to get back to my machine before much longer.....first to catch up on swap items that were put on hold. If you are one of the people I owe blocks to, thanks for your understanding and patience. It is much appreciated. Now with the ability to see so much better and not having to be down south all the time, I think I just might join the human race again. LOL

I'm so glad you found that info helpful....And Marion - no hurry my friend. All in due time...

Lexington Park, MD

Thank you Barb for sharing that information I to have it saved .
Gave me a headache trying to figure it out before and never came out right.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Somethime this summer, I'm going to take blocks in half inch increments, sew around the edges using 1/4 inch seams and then cut across the diagonals to see what the size of the resultant individual tiangle-paired squares wind up. I've done the method 1 that barb gave in sewing on the diagonal and cutting off half, then folding up to make flying geese. But, for some reason, I don't like (yet) the sewing on either side of the line. Maybe with some more practice. I don't seem to get the margins right and the blocks wind up not being equal. I can cut on the diagonal in the paired block method for the pinwheel from You Tube. I just line up to bisect the corners of the seams. Also saving Barb's notes to my computer. If that ever gets done, I'll post a list of my findings.

Stu - do you use a 1/4" foot on your machine? If so, when sewing the seam, use the guide on the foot on the line you drew. Your seam will be 1/4" away from the line. OR there are rulers out now that are 1/2" wide and have cut outs down the center of them. You line the cutouts with your diagonal and mark down the outside edges. These lines are now your stitching lines... Just a thought...

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/2008/01/no-waste-flying-geese.html

I found this tute on making flying geese, looks do-able?

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

not sure if any of you watches the Quilty clips with Mary Fons, but she demonstrates their triangle ruler on the newest video. One side is marked with the size strip you need to cut, the other side is marked with the finished size you end up with...

http://www.qnntv.com/aspx/qnn/Videos/ViewVideo.aspx?v=2558

or Youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsuTCkWzars

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Barb.... will give it a try. Up to trying most anything to see if I can add it to my 'can do' list. I do have the markings on the grid of the sewing machine.

Kizmo... thanks for te info.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

geez what happened to just plain sewing things together?
i was one of those "Sound of Music" girls that wore the curtains. I was ten after the war. In my case Fabric was shipped to us from my aunt in the USA for a dress for me,was too much yardage so MOM made curtains too..

man Barb, feel better, I did add this to my "become accomplished quilter" list.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Golly, my mom used to send me to the local feed store for feed sacks @ 25cents each. Some made into clothes, some sent to great granny for quilts.

I went with my dad to buy his cow feed so I could make sure we had 2 o3 bags that matched so I could make dresses. Lasted forever and the color just never seemed to fade. Try buying some real feed sacks now. Expensive!!!

We had a pet rabbit, I could buy 4 or 5 lbs of rabbit pellets for a quarter. With 30 cents, I could ride the bus 8 miles to town, go to the show, have a snack, and ride back home. To think it was safe for me to do this alone when I was 10.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I read a book on textiles and feed sack history awhile back, pretty interesting, all the companies that went from paper to cloth sacks. Says they boiled them to lift the dye out, to get rid of the company name/logo..

Mom always tells the story of living around Cincinnati when she was young. Gpa and Gma would have card parties on Saturday night and would send Mom and my uncle down to the corner tavern with a small bucket to carry fresh beer back to the house. She was only 12 or so.. About 8 yrs ago, the last time she had one of her Ladies Group parties, they walked down to the local tavern with ice buckets and asked the bartender if he could fill them up for them... LOL When he told her he couldn't do that anymore, she said that since she was a senior citizen, she was legal to drink and wanted fresh draft.. He laughed and bought them all root beer on the house. She and Gma was always telling us kids stuff they did growing up, but then told us that we weren't allowed to try it!

Ibelieve that is "do as I say not as I did". LOL Humm, now are we not guilty of doing the same?

True Marion but I can't send my grandkids to the store for cigs!!! My Dad did that all the time and always gave us a dime to spend on the penny candy!!!!

Kiz/ Kathy I have written down as many of those memories as I can that my Gpa & Gma, parents told me about their childhood and mischief. I have sometimes given those kinds of things to family members for Christmas combined with special session just for them, stories about THEIR childhood they might want captured on paper to not be forgotten.

Pat, that is truly a wonderful idea and gift. There is so much I wish someone had taken the time to write down years ago..alas it is all lost.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

good idea Pat! Mom keeps saying she's going to write a journal, but hasn't yet, seems to find time for everything else..... Of course, being married to someone who actually takes her places, laughs and keeps her under control (at least tries to..LOL), unlike my father, when Charlie says 'do you want to go for a ride, or out to eat', she would rather do that! And I'm happy that they get along.
I have started one of my own on my computer, and try to add to it when I remember something, but it's hard to sit down and write diary like stuff, when there's so much going on at DGs or 'the other place'.. FB, Email, etc, etc... easy to get sidetracked!

Back later, still working on that waving flag.....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wondered why it was so quiet..didn't realize you changed rooms...

Siliolegma, got your block this morning and I'm thrilled, t's lovely...will post a photo of it tonight so all can oohhh and ahhhh

Have to go back and check the past thread, don't think all the blocks I've sent out have been received or acknowledged..??? hope some didn't take a detour..lol

Maybe some are not liked...doubtful though seeing as everyone here are a caring bunch, but always comes to mind right?

This message was edited Jun 9, 2011 8:43 AM

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday Karen/siliolegma! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55
Victoria Harbour, ON

Adding birthday wishes as well, have my hand out waiting for a slice of that yummy pie!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Lots to go around, help yourself.

Karen, celebrate to the fullest.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Happiest of days karen

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, I'm having a great day.

Happy Day Karen and I hope it continues for a week!!!!! Enjoy...

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Barb how is it coming- I am sure you are feeling just fine....

Just fine Helene. I've a bit of a black eye but that's nothing, I have to do the drops and wear the dark glasses for a while but I'm doing great. I'm amazed at what I can see without the lens in my glasses. They popped it out of the side I had done. Right side will be done in two weeks. And I'm NOT afraid this time since I know what to expect. I think I was scared because it had been 30 years since I had an operation!!!!

Barb, I certainly HOPE I acknowledged it! Even my husband commented on how beautiful it is!

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

What this swap has given me thus far, besides some beautiful blocks and a sense of welcome, is that I can do more than I let myself. Now, looking back at the posts from the different type of block swap, I feel that I can challenge myself the next time a swap like that takes place. OK, still not into applique or blocks with curved pieces, but with others......

I know that the place mat and pot holder swaps have been taking place, but think I'll stay with the unfinished blocks right now....... sorry to say that I rarely cook with something without a handle to use the holders and we aren't placemat type of people (usually, we eat at the couch which we find relaxing and, OK, we're still guys). But I love to follow y'all with tose swaps.

Pat - what does the above post (two above this one) refer to? I'm a bit confused!!!!

LOL, I meant to say "BETTY", she said some people had not acknowledged the block she sent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.