-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8603990

My gas stove top burners are dying. I only have a large burner left, with no plans to replace the stove top until the last burner dies.
My problem with the large burner is I exceed the amount of pressure needed. I did green bean quarts-12lbs for 25min. but the with the burner on the lowest setting it was creeping up to 14-15 lbs. the only way to lower, was to turn on and off the gas to maintain at 12lbs.

It it dangerous for me to be turning off the gas? If the pressure stays above 12lbs, it's still maintaining the heat, right?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8608439

Temperature and pressure are directly linked. The higher the pressure the higher the temperature. Is it dangerous. I'd think higher temperatures would degrade the texture and taste of the beans but it won't cause bateria to grow. The real safety question I see is just how bad is your gas stove in that only one burner works. I've been around many electric stoves where burners don't work because either they or the control has burnd out but never a gas stove. Just what is making the burners not work?

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8608760

*smacking my forehead!
I asked my husband, just what exactly was wrong with the stove. He said the electric ignition is out. And there is nothing wrong with the other burners, I simply have to light them with a match. Duh, I'm old enough to remember how thats done!

Doug, any idea why the ignition would go out on 4 burners and still work on one burner?

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8609019

I think they are basically a spark plug. My guess is that they have crud on them from pots boiling over. I don't know if each burner has it's own high voltage feed or if one feeds all the burners. I don't have a gas stove. If you can get at them try a small wire brush on them.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 7:25 PM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8610413

Thanks! Passing on the info to the hubbs...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America