What's the tackiest thing in your house?

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Mine's easy.

Yes, that is a paper plate pinned to the cornice with a diaper pin (a more than 50-year-old diaper pin).

Those brooches are older than that.

But I don't think I have ever seen anything tackier than this.

Thumbnail by Linny1
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

ok you win!!

grin

I have a pink flamingo sitting on a ceiling beam - but alas no photo here.

I have just ordered a coffee table with a glass top that covers a collectors drawer underneath... your brooches would look beautiful displayed under glass - I will be glad to store them for you until you replace the paper plate.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't think I can top that plate.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

I dunno. I think it is very.......ah....unique....... My whole house could probably be considered tacky.....

you guys give up too easily...

Begonia -you have set the bar high.
You didn't respond, Want me to hold those brooches for you?

Didn't know you were serious, rosie. The diaper pin wouldn't look the same without the brooches...do 'ppreciate the offer though.

Southern California, CA

Not bad if the plate was spray painted but then, it wouldn't fit category......the arrangement is artful, the jewelry is lovely......

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Surely some of us must have something tackier than that. Hummmmm...

Phoenix, AZ

Oh you win :)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I don't have a tacky thing in this house, or it goes. lol Have you all checked out the new thread for swaps, trades, ?

I grabbed a clothespin and jammed it in my hair this morning....walked past a mirror in the old favorite PJs and thought...... " well...well ....
I dun found something older than Begonia's diaper pin and tackier than her paper plate....all I gotta do is jump up on the wall!"

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I am looking but haven't found just the right thing yet! I have tried so hard lately to make my home look more orderly and better coordinated. Maybe I had better put something back that is tacky just for long enough to report it back to you guys. Nah!!!!!

no curves, but I will check it out.

elena, it was attempting to put some order to that jewelry that made me stick it on a plate. I demand to be given an e for effort...

As of today, however, I am working on the frame idea curves suggested. Had hubby find the frame in one of his junk storage buildings.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I just found a fifty cent mirror at a sale about thirty minutes ago. It will go on the brick house wall in my courtyard. I just have to touch over the perfect paint to bring it up my shabby chic standards. LOL

do you do that too? If the paint is too perfect, I mess it up somehow to keep it from looking tacky.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I surely do. Nothing is worse than having something brand spanking new looking anywhere when a person decorates with shabby chic stuff. I have the furniture that both my grandmother and mother started housekeeping with and it is not new looking at all. Those things are treasures to me but I don't want something shiny new anywhere near them. I have known people to bring in one new fairly large item and find that they had to redo the entire room.

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

According to my neighbor, I am white trash, so I guess I am the tackiest thing in my house.

She hasn't hosed me down in quite a while, but then I haven't cut her tree branches from hanging over my driveway since the hosing incident. Never fear, her back trees are hanging over the fence onto my yard. Let the battle begin!

HeHe.

Sue

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa, you ladies are something else, and I like whatever it is.
Sue, be careful out there, she may just be waiting for you. LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Reminds me of when my sister in law climbed the fence next door to try to kill a tree that was not desirable and that was constantly littering her spotless yard. She drilled holes in it and poured some kind of poison in them. The tree bubbled and foamed and carried on for quite some time but never died. We have laughed at her about that for years. Good thing your neighbor doesn't live next door to her or it would be world war three.

Begonia
Those brooches would look good on some velvet

Or silk

Thickly padded

I'd search for a watch on a chain (a la 50-60's) necklace/pendant style to hang in there and a small rectangular or square black and white people photo (metal framed) and an old button or two to complete the collection- no more tacky - but truly elegant. Do you have a small black and white wedding photo or christening?

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

yup, most days it's me...

Brender, lol

rosie, all those suggestions are good. On the hunt now for fabric.

Might try salvation army or similiar you just need small piece

If you can't find frame that suits you can make a simple box frame from lightwieight wood and back it with foam or card board, pad the board and apply fabric first. Or if you don't want padded, stretch and staple fabric to back. If you do that you may need a wad of cotton ball laid behind the fabric so that the pin from each brooch has something more than just the fabric to pierce and stabilize.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This is a great thread. I just wish it had appeared about a month earlier when I finally disposed of a hideous thing we made in Cub Scouts for a mothers day gift: (We're talking circa 1965...)

We found "it" in a box up in the rafters of the garage when my folks passed away and we were gutting their house.

"It" was a cardboard cigar box covered in varying shapes of dried macaroni glued all over it, spray painted gold and was intended to be used as a jewelry box. The gold paint had faded to a dinjy brownish color and assorted generations of mice had nibbled on it over the years. The inside of the box was lined in equally hideous red flocked wall-paper.

This thing was sinfully ugly/tacky but when we discovered that my mother had saved it all those years we got a good laugh out of it.

Hey Jasper,
I have a macaroni and nut wreath and a heart with pasta spelled I Love Mom

NOT TACKY ...rather prized possessions

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Definitely PRIZED possessions!!!!!

We had 2 gold macaroni candleholders from when our twins were in first grade in the early 80's.

Can't think of anything tacky at the moment.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Hummmmmm... well I've taken a step in life since then but once upon a time I used old wooden apple crates upended and a shelf added for nightstands. It was painted/ antiqued two tone orange to match the dressers I painted. What can I say? They served their purpose until I could afford better. The women at work were horrified that I used an apple crate!! They probably would not have approved of the cardboard box with table cloth over it that I had for end table in the living room!! My husband was in school and my salary only stretched so far... A LOT has changed since those days, the only thing that remains the same is wages still don't go far enough! LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

We used crates for all sorts of things when we were young. Ya do what you have to and who cares? I had curtains made from sheets that were too far gone for the beds. I dyed them with Rit dye. Couldn't afford curtain rods so used fishing line pulled tightly and on and on. My little girls had cradles for their dolls made from short crates. I made the doll beds bedding out of sewing scraps and cotton from the farm. There were still seeds in the cotton. I could write a book on this subject........As long as a person tries hard to make it on their own no one should criticize their efforts. My husband was in college too and we had two very little girls. That was back in the 50s but I still remember it well.

and in the early 70's we stained wooden crates and had a complete wall unit for the stereo...components were just coming in then....Marantz as I recall (? Spelling)

Anyway those crates were PERFECT size for the Burt Bacharach, Simon and Garfunkle, Carol King, and Moody Blue Albums

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

love using old things in a new way. If DH can make it work, we'll have free soapstone for our kitchen island countertop. He helped remove it from a chemical company that had to move. I surely hope he can make it work.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yep! Me too! We painted ours white. (I still have some of them in the attic. Now why in the world would I save that sort of thing? I still have the records too and want to learn how to rip them this year. I have some really cool ones. It was part of our lives at the time and has many good memories.) I used those crates for my two little girls' toys too.

Morganza, LA

A rain lamp from the 70s, although its not technically inside, and a hospital bed table thingy that I put my computer on when I want to be lazy and secluded. In my mam cave, a.k.a. my bed! Hehehe, (I meant mam too, no typo!)

Does my fav (I'll die if I am in a car acciden't weaing this) bra count?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images