Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: What's the tackiest thing in your house?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 87, Views: 951
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8604007

Mine's easy.

Yes, that is a paper plate pinned to the cornice with a diaper pin (a more than 50-year-old diaper pin).

Those brooches are older than that.

But I don't think I have ever seen anything tackier than this.

Thumbnail by Linny1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8604130

ok you win!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8604131

grin
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8604132

I have a pink flamingo sitting on a ceiling beam - but alas no photo here.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8604139

I have just ordered a coffee table with a glass top that covers a collectors drawer underneath... your brooches would look beautiful displayed under glass - I will be glad to store them for you until you replace the paper plate.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8604308

Don't think I can top that plate.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8604649

I dunno. I think it is very...ah...unique... My whole house could probably be considered tacky...
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8604743

you guys give up too easily...
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 2, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8604755

Begonia -you have set the bar high.
You didn't respond, Want me to hold those brooches for you?
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8604776

Didn't know you were serious, rosie. The diaper pin wouldn't look the same without the brooches...do 'ppreciate the offer though.
J2222
Southern California, CA

June 2, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8605258

Not bad if the plate was spray painted but then, it wouldn't fit category...the arrangement is artful, the jewelry is lovely...
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8605277

Surely some of us must have something tackier than that. Hummmmm...

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 2, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8605386

Oh you win :)
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8606079

I don't have a tacky thing in this house, or it goes. lol Have you all checked out the new thread for swaps, trades, ?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 3, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8606296

I grabbed a clothespin and jammed it in my hair this morning...walked past a mirror in the old favorite PJs and thought... " well...well ...
I dun found something older than Begonia's diaper pin and tackier than her paper plate...all I gotta do is jump up on the wall!"
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8606309

LOL!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8606612

I am looking but haven't found just the right thing yet! I have tried so hard lately to make my home look more orderly and better coordinated. Maybe I had better put something back that is tacky just for long enough to report it back to you guys. Nah!!!!!
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8606628

no curves, but I will check it out.

elena, it was attempting to put some order to that jewelry that made me stick it on a plate. I demand to be given an e for effort...

As of today, however, I am working on the frame idea curves suggested. Had hubby find the frame in one of his junk storage buildings.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8606721

I just found a fifty cent mirror at a sale about thirty minutes ago. It will go on the brick house wall in my courtyard. I just have to touch over the perfect paint to bring it up my shabby chic standards. LOL
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8606772

do you do that too? If the paint is too perfect, I mess it up somehow to keep it from looking tacky.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8606946

I surely do. Nothing is worse than having something brand spanking new looking anywhere when a person decorates with shabby chic stuff. I have the furniture that both my grandmother and mother started housekeeping with and it is not new looking at all. Those things are treasures to me but I don't want something shiny new anywhere near them. I have known people to bring in one new fairly large item and find that they had to redo the entire room.
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8607012

According to my neighbor, I am white trash, so I guess I am the tackiest thing in my house.

She hasn't hosed me down in quite a while, but then I haven't cut her tree branches from hanging over my driveway since the hosing incident. Never fear, her back trees are hanging over the fence onto my yard. Let the battle begin!

HeHe.

Sue
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8607027

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa, you ladies are something else, and I like whatever it is.
Sue, be careful out there, she may just be waiting for you. LOL
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8607109

Reminds me of when my sister in law climbed the fence next door to try to kill a tree that was not desirable and that was constantly littering her spotless yard. She drilled holes in it and poured some kind of poison in them. The tree bubbled and foamed and carried on for quite some time but never died. We have laughed at her about that for years. Good thing your neighbor doesn't live next door to her or it would be world war three.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 3, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8607602

Begonia
Those brooches would look good on some velvet
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 3, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8607603

Or silk
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 3, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8607606

Thickly padded

I'd search for a watch on a chain (a la 50-60's) necklace/pendant style to hang in there and a small rectangular or square black and white people photo (metal framed) and an old button or two to complete the collection- no more tacky - but truly elegant. Do you have a small black and white wedding photo or christening?
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8607848

yup, most days it's me...
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8608095

Brender, lol

rosie, all those suggestions are good. On the hunt now for fabric.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 4, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8608215

Might try salvation army or similiar you just need small piece

If you can't find frame that suits you can make a simple box frame from lightwieight wood and back it with foam or card board, pad the board and apply fabric first. Or if you don't want padded, stretch and staple fabric to back. If you do that you may need a wad of cotton ball laid behind the fabric so that the pin from each brooch has something more than just the fabric to pierce and stabilize.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8608306

This is a great thread. I just wish it had appeared about a month earlier when I finally disposed of a hideous thing we made in Cub Scouts for a mothers day gift: (We're talking circa 1965...)

We found "it" in a box up in the rafters of the garage when my folks passed away and we were gutting their house.

"It" was a cardboard cigar box covered in varying shapes of dried macaroni glued all over it, spray painted gold and was intended to be used as a jewelry box. The gold paint had faded to a dinjy brownish color and assorted generations of mice had nibbled on it over the years. The inside of the box was lined in equally hideous red flocked wall-paper.

This thing was sinfully ugly/tacky but when we discovered that my mother had saved it all those years we got a good laugh out of it.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 4, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8608414

Hey Jasper,
I have a macaroni and nut wreath and a heart with pasta spelled I Love Mom

NOT TACKY ...rather prized possessions
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8608798

Definitely PRIZED possessions!!!!!

We had 2 gold macaroni candleholders from when our twins were in first grade in the early 80's.

Can't think of anything tacky at the moment.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8609283

Hummmmmm... well I've taken a step in life since then but once upon a time I used old wooden apple crates upended and a shelf added for nightstands. It was painted/ antiqued two tone orange to match the dressers I painted. What can I say? They served their purpose until I could afford better. The women at work were horrified that I used an apple crate!! They probably would not have approved of the cardboard box with table cloth over it that I had for end table in the living room!! My husband was in school and my salary only stretched so far... A LOT has changed since those days, the only thing that remains the same is wages still don't go far enough! LOL
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8609314

We used crates for all sorts of things when we were young. Ya do what you have to and who cares? I had curtains made from sheets that were too far gone for the beds. I dyed them with Rit dye. Couldn't afford curtain rods so used fishing line pulled tightly and on and on. My little girls had cradles for their dolls made from short crates. I made the doll beds bedding out of sewing scraps and cotton from the farm. There were still seeds in the cotton. I could write a book on this subject...As long as a person tries hard to make it on their own no one should criticize their efforts. My husband was in college too and we had two very little girls. That was back in the 50s but I still remember it well.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 4, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8609391

and in the early 70's we stained wooden crates and had a complete wall unit for the stereo...components were just coming in then...Marantz as I recall (? Spelling)

Anyway those crates were PERFECT size for the Burt Bacharach, Simon and Garfunkle, Carol King, and Moody Blue Albums
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2011

Post #8609471

love using old things in a new way. If DH can make it work, we'll have free soapstone for our kitchen island countertop. He helped remove it from a chemical company that had to move. I surely hope he can make it work.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8609475

Yep! Me too! We painted ours white. (I still have some of them in the attic. Now why in the world would I save that sort of thing? I still have the records too and want to learn how to rip them this year. I have some really cool ones. It was part of our lives at the time and has many good memories.) I used those crates for my two little girls' toys too.
Ldestructo
Morganza, LA

March 24, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9055603

A rain lamp from the 70s, although its not technically inside, and a hospital bed table thingy that I put my computer on when I want to be lazy and secluded. In my mam cave, a.k.a. my bed! Hehehe, (I meant mam too, no typo!)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 24, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9055919

Does my fav (I'll die if I am in a car acciden't weaing this) bra count?
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9056352

me
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9056372

I was thinking that same thing when I was looking at the caption. Two great minds running on the same track. LOL
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9071482

You all are so funny, I needed something to smile about and knew if I visited DG I would find it. My bathroom is very tacky. It has 50's tile, but none of it matches. The walls are one shade of blue, the tub area is teal, the sink is darker blue, the toilet was just changed out to white from another shade of grey/blue, and the floor is grey tile that always looks dirty.

We did have a paper plate angel on the top of our Christmas tree for years until it finally bit the dust. My daughter made it in Bible study for preschoolers. She's 33 now.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9071991

tacky.tacky. lol
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9072601

There used to be a very "high end" house a few blocks from me with a huge picture window in front. When the drapes were open and the light was right, you could see they had a huge gold framed portrait of Alfred E. Newman (of MAD Magazine fame) hanging over the fireplace.
It definitely made a statement the way it was juxtaposed with all the elegant furnishings.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9073582

I have a thing for plastic dinosaurs, I arrange them around my houseplants. Now if that isn't tacky . . .
Now, before anyone asks "Why does that dinosaur have a little man hanging from his neck?" It's not because he killed him and we're trying to teach him not to kill little people,
it's a "scale" thing, so you can see how big dinosaurs were, you know educational. We're not all this weird in California.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9073677

I like your dinosaurs !
(And no, they're not tacky !)

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9074048

Cute how they are peeking out from behind the pots.

Would be interested in your dome, if you care to share anything, since we've lived in one for 29 years now.

Backward glance (ecnalg)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9074083

We've lived in ours for 12 years. It's 35.5 ft. across with cement board on the exterior. Rather than a exterior riser wall it is sunk into the ground 3.5 ft. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a laundryroom downstairs; livingroom, kitchen, office and 1/2 bath upstairs. Here are some pictures:

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9074187

Thanks so much for sharing. What a great idea to put it partly underground instead of using risers. What a lovely setting, too.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9074218

I used to pass R. Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome home every day on the Southern IL Univ. campus. He was a Distinguished Visiting Professor at the time. I never did meet him there (although my husband did), but I had the pleasure of meeting him several years later when he lectured in Caracas. He'd be happy to know that his design is still being enjoyed in several parts of the world. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the geodesic domes can be found on every continent.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9074874

We found more tacky tile this week. Hubby tore up all the carpeting. Now we know why there was carpet in the entryway, oh my is it ugly, and it goes half way down the hall and just stops. Not near a door or anything, just like they ran out. It does match the ugly bathroom floor tile, dirty grey color. It will cost more than we thought now to fix the floors, but when doesn't a home project end up more expensive than planned? I just have to wonder "what were they thinking" when this tile went down.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9076179

Domehomedee- Good luck in the contest. That was your poor man's orchid photo, I think.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9076374

Yes, It was the most beautiful invasive plant I've ever had.
Someday I'll find it again and I won't weed it out of existence.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9091408

My whole house. Inside and out.

I have a strange since of color. Most recently re-did the kitchen in squash blosoom yellow rag washed lightly w/ brick red,lima bean green,teal and dark brick red. When I tell people,they go"Eeewww!" but then they see,it and 99% love it.

Living room is a grey color called Turtledove that reads pale lilac in the light w/ a folding screen I pick up at Ellis on sale that has giant orange tulips on it. Took it apart and mounted it on the wall because it was cheapest and easiest way to add art and new firepalce mantel is suppose to simulate a riveted airplane wing.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9094949

These are great posts. Love your dome, Dee. We certainly are from the dome era and considered that housing option for our house in the mountains. We settled on recycling a post and beam cottage that required buckets to catch rain water and had long dead wildlife in the oven. Does the washer and dryer that sits at the kitchen entry (the one that everyone uses) count as tacky? How 'bout the fridge with annual rust pox? I repaint it every few years but hate to move the flaking yellowed Gary Larson cartoons off to the side like the one of a legless frog on a skateboard flying out of a restaurant kitchen and captioned "Frog's Legs Special" and another of "Georgio Armani At Home" where Georgio is depicted as a barefoot slouch in a Barcalounger apparently watching TV while downing brewskis and hot dogs.

I bought a watermelon wedge shaped candle for our cottage twenty years ago. Never burned it and it's still here. By coincidence I found a lazy Susan, with a watermelon design. People came to visit and thought I must love everything watermelon. We now own dish towels with watermelon seeds, a hand painted watermelon wedge that says "Welcome", four plastic watermelon bowls, six wooden salt/condiment bowls, a randomly painted and useless wooden watermelon wedge, a watermelon oven pad, and a plastic watermelon tray. There are also the two watermelon "sculptures" in graduated sizes. Proof that friends, like family, can be a mixed blessing. I've also got a paper towel holder with a top knob that's a watermelon chunk, a watermelon table runner, and watermelon napkins. We won't count the numerous gifted watermelon foods like watermelon rind pickles, watermelon jelly and watermelon sorbet. So tacky. It reminds me of my MIL's house with the mushrooms in the seventies. What was with the decorative fungi era? Maybe watermelons are not so bad.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 23, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9095115

A watermelon wedge candle and you bought it!!! LOL I have similiar to you --- I bought JUST ONE wee pig... Just one...

I LOVE LOVE watermelon rinds - great 'invention'
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9095202

Mmm, how about a cast iron pig mold? Maybe for cornbread? Got one. Also a pegged pig coat rack. Should we move on to cows? A cow butter dish. What is it about having a country house that convinces city friends and family your life is a cliche? How about an emblem from a Mercedes hood creatively converted to a mobile with plastic ornaments and mardi gras beads? That must be country chic. A bunch of old booze bottles glued vertically into a 5' sculpture and spray painted blue? That's high country aesthetic. That piece of art served as a door stop for several months until it accidentally fell over. So sad. :>).

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9095300

Oh, oh, I remember decorative fungi. Here's another flash from the past . . . my mother had anatomically correct ceramic frogs. As a teenager I thought that was really tacky. The adults seemed to get such a kick out of them!
The washer / dryer on the way into the kitchen makes me feel sooo much better about having company at my house.
Next driving trip I'm going to Atlanta to see MaypopLaurels' house.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 23, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9095322

5 FEET! I would have liked to have seen that beauty. We had one (just one) of those huge skinny necked wine bottles that stands on floor...it fell over too. ...broke that long skinny neck...wine everywhere... I think it had some kind of rope wound around the fat bottom.

I've got roosters...roosters started arriving when we moved to our house out here in the rural buffer. Also, I collect hand sculpted santas-- wood, chaulkware, antique, glass - etc. a small but nice collection...then...my.loved ones came bearing gifts...wooooo weeeee ...it astounds me that some manufacturer actually produced some of these items...put pencil to paper...designed..went to production and then TOOK ADVANTAGE of my loving and well meaning family and friends. ;0). I got santas performing every single action known to man...Singing, Dancing. Cooking. Laughing...plastic, metal, paper, cloth, straw,fur...santa on plates, santa on motorcycles, santa on camels, santa on a raft, santa eating, santa drinking...santa on a PIG , COW, ROOSTER, DINOSAUR...santa paintings, santa catds, santa coasters, santa on a wreath, santa riding a bell ...musical santa, aroma santa, teapot santa, cookie jar santa, ...oh santa, where did we go wrong?

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 23, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9095326

I KNOWVTHAT FROG!! - a boy right!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9098748

I wanted just one rooster to remind me of my grandmother. I found a lovely soup server. I've had to hide it when a friend of mine comes to visit or I would have every rooster and chicken sold in a garage sale for miles around. She means well but tends to go overboard. Maybe I'll put a $20 bill in a frame and tell her I collect them, now that is a gift I could use.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 26, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9098983

LOL That's a good one!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9100233

Dome, you will have to visit us in North GA, at Maypop cottage, to see our tacky collection. The Atlanta house is rather refined. A case of Jekyll and Hyde abodes. We are weekend rednecks.

Did I mention the collection of assorted size possum skulls, teeth and parts parts displayed on a Chinese charcoal burning stove on the staircase? The garden tub? It's literally a tub in the garden. I sometimes bathe there and enjoy my handiwork at the end of the gardening day. I hook up the hand held shower (mounted to a wooden post) to a garden hose and leave the hose in the sun for a while. Voila! Hot water. I even keep a basket of bathing goodies like bubble bath for extra luxury garden tubbing. A friend carved a totem on a tree stump. That's the table next to the tub for my towel and glass of wine. There's a large flagstone where I get in and out to park my flip flops.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 27, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9100274

One of those skulls hold the soap?

Laurel what if a snake came sliding up???
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9100400

A skull soap dish? That's tackier than soap on a rope. Not that tacky! lol

I am fine with snakes, spiders and beetles. Depending on the snake species, I might pick it up. The biggest tubbing problem comes in late summer when yellow jackets are attracted to shampoo and soap. A netted tent would be a nice addition.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9100686

I saw the perfect addition for you Maypop! One of those suspended netting things for a little girl's bedroom! Purple netting with aqua colored bangles hanging from the hoop!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9101681

Don't you think some photos need to go with these posts? I'm game if you are.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

April 29, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9102852

Anatomically correct frogs????? Whazzat? I mean - I used to teach biology, we dissected frogs, and there wasn't a thing on the outside to give it away or cause humiliation. I musta missed sumpin' or someone out there has a perverted frog design going on.
teko
Brillion, WI

April 30, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9103644

I'm looking for soap on a rope. I think it would come in handy hanging outside so I can "wash up" while I'm out there. So far I haven't come across any. My downfall is lamps. Uglier the better. Most are from the 50's and 60's. My plan is to sell them but just haven't gotten around to it yet. My prizes are my mid-century walnut and white lamps. They're not tacky to me, but my daughter thinks they're so ugly.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9103661

Teko, you can make your own soap on a rope usin a long screw with eye. For an even tackier version you can save one of those mini-mesh bags that produce, like limes, lemons or garlic, come in and get soap and a scruffy all in one.

Mid century modern is very hot these days. You need to sell those in Miami, not Wisconsin. We have an architect friend who specializes in mid-century modern restorations.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9104107

In Girl Scouts we would put one in a panty hose leg and tie let shut. Tie up other end into knot for a loop to hang. NOW that is tacky!! LOL
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 30, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9104119

And clever too!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

April 30, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9104891

What freaks me is that I didn't even realize soap on a rope was hard to come by - is there nothing like it at the Dollar store???

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9104961

MaypopLaurel - Being a California girl I'm pretty open minded but you're house is just gettin' plain scary now.
Wannadanc - They actually had "human" genitals molded right into the porcelain. They were like 3" long, the frogs . . .not the . . .
I wish I kept those nasty little things, I could have sent them to MaypopLaurel to add to the tacky collection they have going at their house LOL.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 1, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9105983

I bet ours (a "gift" from my brother) is up in that attic somewhere.

Amazon has soap on a rope for a few dollars all the way up to ridiculous
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9106416

No thanks, Dome, we already have enough frogs. SO is not allowed to go to Acapulco alone anymore. lol Being a Miami Beach girl and SO a Boston boy we are vaguely bent minded.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9106513

OMG . . . hands down MaypopLaurel wins for the tackiest thing.
Stuffed frogs . . . yuck.
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

May 2, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9106756

and I thought my frog purse was bad...tanned w/zipper in belly! those are "turrible cute" Maypop...hope your SO has a separate display room!!!! LOL
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9107674

A frog purse sounds tackier than SO's frogs. Personally I would not go public with a frog purse. Well maybe if I had a set of Lee press on nails and a Japanese tat with my astro sign. That's called "a fashion statement" here in southern Appalachia. As for SO's frogs, I do not lay claim. Just wanted to play not win.

Wanna, what makes soap on a rope tacky is it's not necessarily cheap. Even Neiman Marcus carries versions. Here are several sources http://www.nextag.com/soap-on-a-rope-stores/products-html You know you wannait. The frog one looks intriguing. Yes?
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

May 2, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9107869

maypop...so sorry if my post came out offensive. as I approach 70 and senility, I often find that I am the tackiest thing in my house !!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9107896

I was funnin'. No offense taken in such a serious thread as this. Linny, the topic starter here, has been to Maypop cottage. She can swear to its authentic tackiness. I obviously would not have listed such a panoply of tackiness if I lacked a sense of humor.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012

Post #9107931

This is such a fun thread. Wish I had something tacky to contribute, but ...hey...Don't hate me because I have nothing tacky! LOL (Remember the commercial: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful?) The only tacky thing I have is a ceramic ashtray my husband made in grade school, and it's not on display. But I wouldn't part with it for the world! My most favorite thing is my father's shaving brush. I keep it in a jewelry drawer and sometimes stroke my hand with it...makes me feel close to him even though he's been gone many, many years.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 3, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9108158

Tacky can be a matter of location. I had a really nice commercial coffee brewer. After many years and many shared memories it started to leak, but "would be a good enough backup in a pinch if the new one breaks" ( said in hubby's best NO DON'T MAKE ME THROW IT OUT, IT'S STILL GOOD voice ) --- so, now I have this old, leaky but once glorious coffee brewer sitting on the kitchen floor with not a place to put it because there is NO ROOM in the appliance closet ( aka closet) that he's got going.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9115505

Trying to think if I could win the most 'tackiest' but no can do lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 8, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9115893

How bout a little man ,molded out of clay and painted . He was made for me by a dear friend and painted . He is a light switch cover in the bathroom with a slot cut out for the toggle .
Maypop's mountain gettaway is very beautiful with antique furnishings including wicker . Everything there works together , even her tackiness fits the theme . Call it art . Lots of great ideas .
In my house , it's just clutter. lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9116261

Oh, gosh, that's a reminder of days ago when friends had David switch plates (the curious will have to Google). Nope, never had those.

Digger, you are the best Maypop fan! Wait 'til you see the tub in the garden landscaped at the RU! Can't wait to climb in.
teko
Brillion, WI

May 10, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9118923

Ok, with the frog thing...how's this. And it is on display. Wish I could find more.

Thumbnail by teko

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America