Hyacinth Bean

Arlington, TX

Too aggressive or a great plant?
C

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Great plant! I haven't grown them in a few years and I'm so excited because I finally remembered to plant them this year. I have purple and white planted and they are always beautiful. Can't wait!

Arlington, TX

Do they die back every winter and have to be replanted or can the seeds survive a zone 8 winter? I have a bad of purple seeds someone at work gave me and want to plant a few.
C

Talihina, OK

Mine are just really taking off in the last week ,Planted them at the foot of a favorite tree that died so they can climb into the tree and give me another year with it,,Promise to sen pix as soon as it blooms

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

They are just annuals here so collect seeds from them this year. The pods are really pretty on them too. The hummers love them!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

In my experience, the fallen seeds just sprout. I ended up finding it too aggressive a grower for my small area although the blooms are gorgeous. It is easy enough to control if you want to pull out the stray seedlings.

Arlington, TX

But they do die in the winter so it might not be so bad.
C

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

They die back in a freeze and reseed themselves. I just transplant or pull the ones that grow where I don't want. It does get large, but I wouldn't consider it aggressive. It grows on for me on chicken wire in the full hot sun all day long. I love it.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I love this vine! I first saw it growing in front of Romeo's Italian restaurant in Austin and helped myself to a few seeds as we left. It's an annual here and does not spread by underground runners or roots that break into numerous viable pieces when the plant is pulled, so it has never been a problem for me.

Dallas, TX

I love it too! Y'all can throw some extra seeds my way too! LOL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Paige!!!!!!! So glad you are on and posting again...missed you. Are you going to come by the RU in Burleson this Sunday? I sure hope so. I will send the map / address to you.

Talihina, OK

Just remembered that I had this pic from the mother plant from which I got my seeds

Talihina, OK

It is to cold here for it to even self seed so that is a big plus as far as I am concerned here are the blooms

NE, TX(Zone 8a)

My grandmother always grew hyacinth bean and I had been looking for seeds for a while now. I found some this year at one of the big box stores. There were 4 seeds in the packet and 3 came up. I am just waiting for them to take off.
It's so good to see some of the "older" plants coming back into popularity.
And growing things that my grandmother and mother grew brings back such sweet memories.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you think hyacinth bean could overtake the $%#@ honeysuckle my neighbor planted along our shared fence?? LOL

I really like the looks of hyacinth bean, but I need to find a trellis or something to grow it on before trying to plant any.

Round Rock, TX

Rather than trellis, I buy a roll of deer/bird screen, 6 feet wide and as long as I can find it, and I hang that up along whatever wall or fence I want hyacinth bean to grow up.

I have a long solid wall where I've put masonry screws along the top, put the screen on that and anchor it down below by tying it to bricks. On the fence that I like to cover, I use a staple gun to hold the screen up.

At the end of the season, after I have harvested enough beans to get seeds for the next year, I take down the screen and roll it up and dispose of it.

DON'T EVER PAY FOR SEEDS MORE THAN ONCE. They are prolific and they grow back great in the spring. I soak my seeds over night around last frost and then sow them, a couple to a spot. I've had great luck. In fact, I've had 40 or more come up on their own in the lawn because I was careless while collecting seed last year. :-)

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 6:14 PM

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Cheryl, I passed around the Hyacinth bean seeds at the swap today and everyone was excited about them.
I also gave all the lovely sedums to Glenna, that should get her set up very well with sun groundcovers.
Josephine.

Arlington, TX

Glad they will be enjoyed. I am looking forward to the fall RU. I planted out the 2 hibiscus last night, so far they are doing ok but will definately need water every day for a while (phox too). I am touched by you generousity.
C

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Cheryl.I received some seeds too.I have a very ugly area that will do well with the HB vine along with the passi from Sheila.

Thank you Cheryl, I hope they will do great for you.
Josephine.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I love hyacinth bean so much, I planted it all around the edge of my property this year. I haven't had a problem with it self-sowing. I found 2 or 3 stray seedlings this year, but easy enough to pull or mow. It is so beautiful in the fall. Mine usually grow up the fence, but you don't have to have anything. If they can't find something to climb on, they will just ramble through your bed like a passi.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Cheryl, thanks for the hyacinth beans, and thanks again for the sedum.

Should the hyacinth beans be soaked before planting?

Arlington, TX

I dont know, I am new with this plant too. I did not soak mine but they haven't germinated yet either.

Round Rock, TX

I have better luck if I soak them 24-48 hours before sowing. I usually put them between layers of wet paper towel on a dinner plate. I've occasionally left them soaking too long and had them germinate putting out a tiny root before I sow them and they do fine.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Update on hyacinth beans. My DH (LEW_TEX) had mentioned seeing a beautiful vine growing on a fence in Cleburne the last couple of summers. He had no idea what it was. Yesterday he saw the lady working in the yard and stopped to visit with her to ask what the vine was. It's hyacinth bean. So now we have seed from her also. She told him she soaks the seed 24 hours and we need to get it planted ASAP because this is a little late to start.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That was a nice thing to do; her to share seeds and him for stopping to check. WTG!

I would save some of the seeds you have for next year in case you new vine doesn't mature and make seed this year.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

She gave him a LOT of seed, more than we could ever use.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

For the record, I have never soaked the beans. I planted about 2 dozen in March and had 100% germination. One of the reasons I grow them is that they do wonders for the ego of seed-disabled people like me. :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!! You go Pattie!

Arlington, TX

I didn't soak mine and the few I planted are up and have mature leaves, they seem to grow fast.

Crossville, TN

Even I can grow these!!! LOL I love them and kill most things that I start from seeds...Jo

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

My hyacinth beans have sprouted that I planted on the 8th. This is fun when something is that easy to start !!! LOL.

Thanks again, Cheryl.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I had some seeds that were several years old, in a plastic bag in the garage, and soaked them for 24 hours and planted them...and nothing! SO, one CAN mess them up! I really didn't expect them to be good, though. Wish I had more. They are very pretty, vine and flowers. Janet

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone have any pics??

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Sun or shade for these babies? I can't wait to get some in the ground. Does the seed last if I don't plant them all this year?

I wish I could grow them on that split rail fence in front my house, but the horses eat everything they can reach. Does anyone know of something that doesn't taste good to horses, but won't kill them if they eat it?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Josephine, what color were those you gave me?

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from sybram :
I wish I could grow them on that split rail fence in front my house, but the horses eat everything they can reach. Does anyone know of something that doesn't taste good to horses, but won't kill them if they eat it?

Sybil, I wouldn't risk it. It is so hard to know for sure. There are a lot of things listed as poisonous to equines but then in practical experience we had no ill effects. For example, one miniature donkey owner I ran across on line cut down all the oak trees in her pasture because supposedly acorns were poisonous. Our minis eat buckets of them and the only ill effect is they get way too fat on acorns. But no way to know if one particular horse might be more sensitive than others. The other thing is in a drought they are more likely to eat more of some things than they would if everything was lush and green from rain.

The hyacinth bean flowers are purple.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought I'd read that one could eat these. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/168594. You eat them first and let us know. hahaha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.