Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: June 2011- Heat, Sunshine and Rain

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 172, Views: 959
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8604911

New thread for June!!!

The heat is driving me nuts!! lol. Go back down to high 70s, maybe low 80s and stay out of the 90s for awhile!! lol

A view at Commanche's. Irises everywhere!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8605170

Thanks for starting the new thread for June, Pepper, Commanche's is colorful.
Yes, plenty hot, and tomorrow unfortunately, is gonna be in the low 90's they said on tv, sorry Pepper! They say the closer to central Missouri, it is HOT, in Sedalia it was 96° F they said! Happ just visited, I have a big, beautiful, dark Red Rose plant! My housemate really likes you're little car too! That color I think really stands out!
Heres my latest creation, presenting my "Mint, Coleus and Sweet Potato planter!", it's in the photo. I plan to carry it up to the front porch tomorrow, but I need another person, my housemate says she can help tomorrow, it is heavy. I carried it about 20 feet, I had to put it down, too heavy! When something is too heavy I put it down and get help, not breaking anything! After I watered it, I am sure it's too heavy for me now!

Thanks Pepper! I'll be glad to have them!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8605180

Looks great Will!! Will look even better when it fills in.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8605615

Nice planter will. Want to borrow my wagon?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8606228

Thanks Pepper. I hope it fills in alot. It sure is fragrant, all those plants except 4 I think are Mints of some kind. Well, Basil and Blue Sage too, but they're very fragrant themselves. Unless they're Mints too, then my bad! lol But, I'm thinking, "I don't want that board to show", "theres too much space behind the Potato Plant", "I think I buried too much foliage". I tell you, it isn't easy being cheesy! No wonder nothing much ever gets done!
Thanks Crit. You got wagons and such down there to rent have you? Sure, I'll take one of those yard wagons with the inflatable tires you know?! Hehe!
Actually, there is 2 of those here, but I have this habit of leaving whatever I haul last staying on the cart for a while. One of the carts is all wobbly like one of those car creepers because I tried pulling it over the street curb with 150 lbs or so on it and it bent and broke I think 3 of the wheels. I think those carts tout like an 800 or 1,000 lb capacity but the wheels themselves fold up like a house of cards under about 1/4 of that weight under pressure. I think I'm gonna try carrying it and taking baby steps for about 20 more feet, it worked the first time!
Will

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 6:32 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8606454

Well we celebrated the 5 year olds birthday, they had a blast. That was about the same decimal as the noise level. rofl.

Will, love the witchhazel! Need to make sure I put it somewhere I can see it late winter early spring... Saw Wills little trailer, look perfect size to me, I could carry all the mulch, rocks, or whatever I would need in it and suitcases...hehe

I am not sure driving a car that stands out is a good thing. If you tick someone off (even if you didn't mean to) you can't hide in the crowd... ;) When I first got it, people I work with would say, were you in Buckner last night, or Lenexa...ahhhh no, those are day trips for me...rofl. It is nice in a parking lot as long as two huge trucks don't park on either side of you cause it glows in the dark...just kidding.

We don't have spring anymore. We go from 40 to 90...with a ton of humidity. Oh well I would rather have the heat than the cold. Crit how are you guys down there? Are you getting rain? I know Texas is still having big problems with fires and dry.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8606913

I hope the Witchhazel works out good there, happ. Oh yeah, my little trailer! I forgot to show that to you, but we were standing right by it, the Rose plant was on it for a bit. I tell you thats a good trailer for a small car and it's easy to handle! - http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-capacity-40-inch-x-49-inch-heavy-duty-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html The 20% off a single item coupon can be found in a lot of magazines and newspapers. I can get a coupon if you want one. Just a thought, its a neat trailer. It's generally pretty easy to assemble after you mull the instrux over for awhile. I was kinda disappointed in the instrux myself, but I didn't really expect much help from them on that! I'd be glad to offer any help if anybody wants one! Oh, and have you're metric tools ready! Be sure to buy at the store, the shipping would be too high by mail, theres a HarborFreight store on Noland Rd. in Indep., MO. Or, try to locate a store anywhere first. The shipping is prolly around a hundred dollars.
My friend here loves the Rose plant too, happ!
Heres that planter, I got it where I wanted it. I did some scrubbing on the porch while I was there. You can tell that's made out of privacy fence replacement boards, it's dog-eared on the end of the front, I should've cut that off. Oh well, it's treated, maybe it'll last awhile.
Hehe.. yes it would be easy to spot in a parking lot! Yes, heat rather than cold for me too.
Will

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8606947

Will, you have 2 liguaria, 2 speedwell veronica, the one that looks like forget me nots, 2 soapwarts 1 marbled coral bell, 1 Cardinal Flower and a lavender. lol. I just took a cardboard tray and filled it up. All hardy. Now just have to get a box big enough and fill er up!! Oh and I am giving you my Nahno Blue butterfly bush later on too. Maybe my Black Knight also. I have no place for the blue and the spot where Black Knight and Peacock are is getting redone with hydrangas that I just got in last night. They will tolerate the shade there better I think.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8607026

No happ ... no rain here. Just upper 90* temps. Will have to do my gardening early or in short spurts. May go ride my horse in the morning instead, then work on gardens later.

Would love to get some witch hazel. I've seen pics of it and is really pretty.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8607031

Wow, Pepper, thats alot of stuff! I'm glad to have whatever you can spare! I dug up 2 Hydrangeas last year that were in full shade with the Hostas, they were dying.
Heres a bigger view of the new planter. I think I'll turn that around so the dog-eared part don't show in the front.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8607135

shortleaf,

thanks for leaving the light on for us.

Jan

ps love the ramp, the best I've seen.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8607136

Mine won't be in full shade, but in bright light. It gets southern exposure.

I got all except the bushes at work today. You are helping me get rid of them. LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8607231

You're welcome, meadow! That light is always on! It's supposed to be a "dusk to dawn" light. It's a good thing CFL's last a long time! I installed that light about a year and a half ago. Haha! Thats prolly why it don't work right! I should've adjusted the sensitivity then. I had no idea that it was gonna be on all the time.

Haha! A neighbor says that ramp is so steep he couldn't even drive his car up it! He said its a Dukes of Hazzard ramp! My housemate's Mother here is the dis-abled one. That ramp is pretty steep, when my friend and her Mom go down it they go "wee!"! Actually, it isn't up to ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) specification standards, but it doesn't have to be, they were just limited on front yard space and finances. The materials used on that surface were pretty much top of the line tho, the ramp and that entire porch is a very strong, durable plastic.

I got my Witchhazels from the state's nursery program, they are cheap there, a bundle of 25 of them were $8, there is about $6 more (per order I think), for taxes or shipping and handling or something. They only sell them from Nov. 15 - the end of April every year though. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all Its MO. residents only, if anybody wants, I'd gladly have them sent here.

Glad I could help, Pepper! The back yard here is the one with all the sun, the front yard is in nearly full shade because of 2 great big Pin Oak trees.
Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8608325

Love where you put the planter, That is about perfect. My nephew was in a wheel chair but most houses are limited on space and what you can do. Since I was aware of the limitations when we built this house I planned for it. During Christmas if it had snowed it was a mess if my nephew came rolling in with snow or mud on his tires (he always felt so bad), so I made sure he could come in the garage and in thru the laundry room into the living area. It keeps me from tracking this in now and you can never tell when I might be rolling around and have those same issues. Made the bathroom doors wider for the same reason.

Heavens it is hot out there. We went to a car show for about 2 hours and about melted. Course no shade. Think I will go work in the shade gardens, cause I sure can't work on the west side! How come we don't have a spring anymore?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8608521

I know what you mean happ. From 70's to 90's !!! My car showed 98* on my way home from town. Had to get some more big clay pots. Still have things I need to clean up and pot that we had in the house for the winter. My whiskey barrells are falling apart and DH said we just needed to pitch them, instead of fixing them. I just HATE to throw them away. May try and figure something to do with the wood slats. So anyway, they were over $50 when I saw some last year, and haven't even seen any this year. So I bought some of the large decorative tough plastic planters.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8608731

Crit, I know what you mean about throwing that wood away, just always seems like I should be able to do something with it...rofl. Some of those plastic pots are amazing looking any more, you can't tell them from the huge heavy ones. Costco always has a good variety of reasonable priced pots like that. It is aqua lung time here, you can't hardly take a breath it is so thick with humidity. DH got me 1/2 of whiskey barrel a few years back and it smelled liked it...rofl. There is a distillery here or was, come to think of it I haven't seen the signs lately. I fill it with water and make a small water garden out of it. Dogs love to drink from it (hummm suppose they have a drinking problem..rofl) and I stick plants there before planting. Course I have to watch Sam the lab he will sometimes decide the plants and pump shouldn't be in there and he takes them out! One year I finally unpluged the pump cause I was afraid he was going to hurt himself!

Will, if I don't forget I will bring you over some of the "water iris", trust me they don't need to be in water to grow. A damp spot will work and they do spread, not horribly but they get bigger. If you put them in a pond now they will take over the edges but for a wet spot and a stream that comes and goes they work great.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8609098

Well, I let you all know that I won't be here cause of expire on the 10th this month so I will be happy if you want be in Facebook... If you want to get my Facebook and I will be happy to d-mail me for private...

Take care,
Anna, Rusty and JuJu is taller than Rusty's height...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8609224

Thanks happ. I was hoping it looked okay there for awhile. I am thinking that terracotta pedestal that it's on is better with a big round pot maybe. I wanted to have the rectangular planter suspended like that so those viney shoot things can hang and grow, not just laying flat on the porch or somewhere. I painted that pedestal black before I found out it was terracotta, if I had known that I guess I woulda left it pink, but it was burning a hole in my brain! Now, I'm just letting the black spray paint wear off so I don't have to live in shame! lol

I'd love to have some of that water iris, happ. I wonder if thats Yellow Flag Iris? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_pseudacorus . Does it look like that, happ?
You know, I thought it was pronounced Eye ris, this one site said it's ee ris! "Pronounced: ee-ris sood-a-ko-rus" - http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/205
That Iris sounds very tough, like it might survive anything. I need at least one plant that will be okay in a waterpond that isn't entirely still. If I don't have a little pump going it's going to be full of mosquitoes!
I wonder if that's the Yellow Iris that is all around the lake at Powell Gardens, maybe Pepper would know?
Speaking of Powell Gardens, here is my one and only Swamp White Oak tree I grew from an acorn that I got from Powell Gardens in September 2005.
Okay Rusty, take care, come back if you can, I'm sure in Joplin you guys have you're hands full unfortunately. Juju has grown alot.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8610143

Wow, I got a bit behind so I didn't comment on everything from the previous thread, but I read it all.

Pepper, thanks for the new thread. The iris are gorgeous! I'd have a hard time leaving the place!

Will, cool on beating Grandpa! Nice little hauling cart.

Yayyy, you have a rose! The box made a nice planter. I hear you on heavy and setting it down! The potato plant will fill in nicely!

Happ, the B'day party sounds like it was so much fun :o)

You now have to post a picture of your car, LOL!

Will, the planter looks just fine! Foliage will cover anything you don't like :o)

Pepper, I love all the plants you got for Will. It will be beautiful when they're all planted!

Crit, riding your horse sounds like fun! Do you have a picture of him/her?

Will, the new view is much better. I like the way the porch wrapped around to allow for it. Turning the box will make the height of the plants follow the slope :o)

Meadowyck, giggling over the light. How did I miss that?

Will, giggling again. Maybe the old woman needs some ''wheee'' in her life :o)

Happ, you're a good Aunt, and yes, we never know when we'll need a wheelchair.

Rusty, see you on Facebook, if I ever get back over there. I seem to have no time these days. I will miss you here.

Will, nice tree!

The driveway guy made it yesterday and stayed an hour. There was a lot of detail to go over. His brother will take out the rock and railroad ties for $80.00 an hour. Dad, who lives just in the other end of town will take the rock. That will cut down on hauling costs.

My astilbe are throwing up shoots and I really wanted to at least, weed around them. I worked for two days and got the whole 80' X 16' bed done!! Now with the rain, I'm skirting the outer edges of the rest of the beds.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8610677

Gee Rusy, hate to see you go, you'll be missed.

Yes billy, here is a picture of Babe. We have 5 horses and 2 Siberian burros, but Babe is my baby.

Hot again here today and I have a migraine. Took my medicine to keep it from at least getting any worse. I really wanted to work outside more today. Maybe in a while.

Everyone have a blessed day.

Thumbnail by Crit

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8611168

Babe is gorgeous!! I can't wait til the day I am able to move out and get a place with room for horses.

Yeah, the heat and humidity are horrible!! I've pretty much quit deadheading the plants at work and am just watering twice a day til the heat drops a bit. I do a little bit at a time til I can't stand it. Then I go back inside and work. With the heat coming off the asphalt, it's just too hot.

Snapdragons and 'Heart Attack' dianthus

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8611904

Thanks, I'm catching up pretty good on my Grandpa at Chess. I feel bad about some of the moves he makes, I'll warn him most times that a valuable piece is in jeopardy, but unfortunately, sometimes he'll just lose a key piece because of forgetting it's in jeopardy. 20 years ago, I very likely wouldn't have won a game against him. He really enjoys playing and usually plays very well, believe me!
Yes happ, please post a picture of that car!
I never thought about that, thats a good reason to turn the planter around too, so the plants can follow the slope of the ramp, thanks billyp!
Beautiful Babe the horse there, Crit. I'm on Facebook too Rusty, you can friend me from Sally's (billyp) page if you wish. I am Will Jones on there, thats not my real last name, I don't use it on Facebook hopefully to keep down the spam.
Maybe you can take before and after photos of you're driveway, billyp?!
Oh I think she's fine with things the way they are. The only whee she wants is to be able to curse people! She called me a "lying son-of-a-biscuit eater" just yesterday! She's not too big on me, but we co-exist okay most of the time. In case anybody is wondering she called me that because she was having some delusions about me skulking around her room at 4 in the morning when I was asleep! She gets confused most days (and nights). She is blind and has Parkinson's Disease. I think she has Schizophrenia myself, but I'm not a doctor and they say she doesn't have that now, they used to.
She still says I'm drilling big holes in the house, sawing thru the iron girder that supports the house and just randomly destroying the house in general, and filling her bedroom up with raw sewage, somehow, and killing her 2 cats, Skeeter and Scooter. There is 7 cats here and one (Bo) died of natural causes last week and she said I killed it by not giving it food and water! That was her cat years ago and she was not happy when it died!
We have 2 bathrooms and the one NOT in her room was clogged up. So, we have to go thru her room to get to the other working bathroom. A couple days ago, she told me to go to the bathroom outside! I couldn't help but scoff, I couldn't hold it in! I told her, "I can't go to the bathroom outside at 3 in the afternoon"! I try hard not to laugh at her, because she is serious, but this time I couldn't help letting out a quick HA! I called my housemate at work, I told her, "you're Mom just told me to go to the bathroom outside"! Luckily for me, I plunged the other bathroom here for like 20 minutes today and got it freed up for my use!
Has anybody ever seen a vine go up an Iris blade (in the photo) like this? I just pulled that vine off that Iris the day before! Imames gave me that Iris at the Fall RU 09'.
It's growing good, I have 2 pots of it that I got from her. I'll probably plant them this year. Does anybody know if thats a good, pesky vine?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8612073

Will, I'm sorry but I could not help but rofl at your 'story'. You 'son-of-a-biscuit-eater'. ^_^

I know that vine but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it! We have a lot of that around here. I pull it out.

Have a great day everyone!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8612128

Crit, Babe is beautiful! I used to lurk on the Horse Forum, but can't remember who all posted.

Sorry about your migrane. I've never had one and hope your's went away.

Pepper, asphalt heat is the worst!!

The dianthus is gorgeous! I love the color combinations!

Will, I'll bet you beating him just makes him smile :o)

I have the before, just waiting for the after :o)

What can you do but throw up your hands, LOL! She come's up with some pretty good delusions. It's sure a shame her life is like this tho.

Laughing over the bathroom, but in a nice way :o)

Yes, I have a vine that got away from the trellis and hugs everything. It's weak so it won't pull down or kill anything. I need to dig a few sprouts while it's young to set under the Harry Lauder Walking Stick. It will look pretty there. It has shell ping blooms.

Well, speaking of cats, I have a sick one who won't eat. He goes to the vet today. I hope they can get him in early.

Petey just the other day.

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8613026

Isn't that vine a morning glory, that spreads like wild fire? Not saying they aren't beautiful some are just amazing, but they reseed alot.

I am sure I have a photo of my bright yellow car...I was looking for a cheap, fuel efficient car, we stopped at the dealers and dh said we don't care what color it is as long as it isn't that neon yellow car on the hill...well price beats color...rofl...

Crit, your babe is beautiful! Have you had her a long time?

Billy hope kitty is doing ok...I only have one cat left, Hairy showed up by our mail box one raining fall night as a tiny kitten just soaked to the bone...who can do this to animals! At least drop them at a shelter!

Pepper, I think alot of people overlook dianthius and I think they are great plants, they seem to bloom forever, I have about 3 or 4 varieties of them.

I went out early this morning and watered. Glad I did, it is a tad warm and windy...

Will, the iris from the florida place looks like the one in the pond. They have mosquito dunks that you can put in water to keep them blood suckers out without a pump. Only other problem still water will grow algae faster than moving water and still water may go sour on you...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8613895

Will, I will get your box out to you on Weds.

Well, I got to work this morning and apparently no one watered at work yesterday. So I had to spend almost 3 hours watering because the plants were bone dry. Thankfully we had wind today!!! That made it a bit more bearable. lol. Tomorrow is gonna be even worse. UGH!!! I'm not even deadheading much, just watering. It's too hot to take the time for it. I will hopefully be able to get them good later this week when it cools a bit.

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8614248

Thanks Pepper, I'm looking forward to it. Yeah, the Dianthus is some pretty flowers.
Hehe.. she does the genuine curse words, she's a peach!
Bradenton FL.! The Motel 6 light should be on at you're house, meadow! Thats like vacation paradise! You got nice weather and everything. I think you might even have the Emerald Coast! Or is that further North, I dunno, I've never been to Florida.
I hope they make you're Petey the Cat better, Sally! A few years ago when I lived with my Grandmother, a man came down our dead-end street and opened the side door of his van and a dog came out! The van zoomed up the street with the dog running after it, the man had dumped his dog out. It took a couple days but my Grandmother coaxed him out of a neighbor's shed and kept him for about 14 more years. That happens all too often when you live on the end of a dead-end street.
I got 4 trickle to big trickle cheap pumps, I better put them to use I suppose. My housemate here is big on not having standing water anywhere for mosquitoes. I've came home and found my watering cans and other pots emptied out because she thinks mosquitoes will get in them.
A Morning Glory vine eh? I wonder how it got here? I don't remember ever seeing any in the yard, birds musta carried it in. But, it sounds like a neat vine, I might keep it.
I still plan to put this $9.99 Harbor Freight pump in this coffee can and put panty hose over the front!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8614272

I found a better photo that shows how I aim to put the hose over the blue can!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8614781

Thank you billy, will & happ. I've had Babe for about a year. She was pretty skiddish when I got her a year ago, but now she is my baby and has turned into a real nice horse!

I use a dab of pool alge control in my fountains to keep them from being mosquito magnets or get icky from not running constantly. I have them on a timer.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8615406

Will the cotton batting found in pillows is a great filter also. I use it on my pump and if for some reason I get a big alge bloom I will open the end of a pillow and let the water from the water fall filter thru it. Cleans everything up in a jiffy. On the pump side I keep the regular filter attached, then make a bonnet sort of with netting filled with cotton batting from the pillow and tie it over the pump filter. They have little fish that will eat those little larve in the water.

I started up my whiskey barrel water garden last night and got it all going. I will see how long the lab will let me keep it. Hopefully this year he will leave it along, except for drinking out of it.

We are suppose to get a break in the weather...yeah!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8616387

Will, the plants will go out tomorrow I might have to do 2 boxes unless I can bring out my packing genius. lol

I can't wait for the break in the weather!!!

Nicotiana and catmint. Love this combo!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8616981

Thanks Crit and happ! Okay Pepper, send as many boxes as you need to! : )
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8618768

2 boxes went out today!! I decided I didn't want to damage the plants to save money. lol. You should have them in a day or 2.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8618912

Thanks Pepper! 2 boxes sounds great, good thinking. I'll get the postage back to you soon.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8619497

Got a lot done yesterday, hope for the same success today.

Here is a pic of my yellow car...

Thumbnail by happgarden

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8620972

I remember your car. lol. Once you see it you don't forget it.

Varigated sedum and catmint

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8621152

Yep, that's the Yellow car! Thats a neat place to sit there too, happ.
The 2 packages arrived today, Pepper, thanks! I've taken them out and unfurled the leaves and watered them all.
There was no damage to them, even though a tight squeeze.
Good thinking on the priority mail. It's best they come thru the mail fast in this heat. I have the postage in the mailbox tonite.
That is 9 neat plants, I can't wait to pot them up!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8621184

LOL. I just went thru and picked what I liked and filled up a box for you. You have similar tastes to me so it was easy. I just wish the Cardinal flower will grow for me!! Hope you have much better luck than I do.

I just got some great news today. The squadron that my younger sister is in had their names put on some cargo planes here recently. She is currently serving in Afganistan. I have a cousin who works on cargo planes also so I told him to keep an eye out for the one with her name on it. Pretty neat!! I wish I could see it in person but pics are the next best thing.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8621324

How cool that is pepper, having her name on the plane. Would really be funny if he sees it.

Yes, the car is yellow...rofl. There is one problem with the glider, once you sit in it you can't get out! ;) It just sucks you in, the best spot in the world to curl up with a book. I built that all myself a long time ago. I know DH thought I would never get it done. I started on 4th July and finished on the first snow fly...but it got done.

I got the east gardens completely done...now after coming back from town I figured out the first garden you see is the north garden so I will tackle it tomorrow. We have 5 minutes of rain, and that raised the humidity up 1000 percent! OMG it was awful. Glad the wind was blowing or I couldn't have done it.

Sounds like pepper sent you some great plants...you now have lots of work ahead...the hardest thing is finding the perfect spot for them, takes me forever to figure out where to put them...

Billy hope all the bad weather passed you by tonight.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8622889

We got about 5 mins of rain also and the super high humidity!! What happened to mid 80s and decent weather???? Tomorrow is supposedly only gonna be in the low 80s. We'll see.

Don Juan bloom with catmint

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8623211

Only 5 mins.? It sounded like 30 minutes of rain here. It couldn't have been too much tho, the rainbarrel only filled up 2 or 3 inches.
The black splatter looking dirt on those plants I got from Pepper, is just rain that splashed up. I plan to get them in bigger, more spacious pots soon. I'd like to be more diligent about finding and getting the potted plants a permanent home in the ground. I have a few potted plants, yeah, a problem is finding a spot, alot of the places I envision for some aren't ready yet. I certainly plan to have most all the potted plants planted in the ground before Fall though. I don't think I can take all that over-Wintering again in pots, worrying about, "is it going to be hardy enuff in a pot outside, is it going to be cold enuff in the garage to allow them to go dormant?".
Pretty flower combinations there, Pepper. I have some Catnip growing outside in a pot, but I think a stray cat (or cats) has been eating on it and messing it all up! I wanted to let it grow some more before I brought it in and let the cats in here have it, but it won't be as big as I planned now!
The only problem with using the inside of a pillow for a filter is I use pillows until they're about flat! Yes, that is neat to have a Sister in Afghanistan, I bet they have some heat, they would prolly like 95°! Oh, I hear thunder outside! I hope that means rain some more!
I can kinda celebrate having a job now! I start working at Fedex Tuesday! Actually, I have 2 jobs now. My housemate here wanted me to keep the state money from helping with her Mom. So, I guess I am a part-time 2 jobber starting Tuesday! Anybody want a part-time job? Fedex hires most capable everybody, except bankrobbers and such! And they have benefits, which is nice. Going to they're website to apply is a waste of time.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8624249

Shortleaf, I have skimmed this thread. I am getting ready to go shopping so in kind of a hurry.
I wanted to tell you my opinion on your vine. I think it's bind weed. Keep an eye it. It's brought in by the birds and is a very difficult plant to get rid of. Blooms a lot and seeds everywhere.
Just my opinion. I may be wrong.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8624303

Thanks birder, I see bindweed is also called many names, like perennial Morning Glory and Creeping Jenny. I see from my Google search, that it is considered a noxious weed in many places. Hmmm.. I don't know, it might be kinda neat for a spot that might get submerged by rainwater 2 or 3 times a year.
That looks very possible though, thats what it could be.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8625247

Happ, those canary yellow cars are showing up more now. My neighbor has had her's for years now! ROTFL over how you got your's!!

Petey is back to normal now. We have one dose of medicine left.
AND, how can you not bring them in and love them?

I agree. The dianthus that came back last year for me are so pretty and full of blooms. I'm going to be adding a lot more all over!

Pepper, I'd be kicking some b*tt! Nothing makes me madder than to find a plant I want and then find out it's bone dry. I put them back because they usually have to sit in a hot truck till we get them home. I've even asked the person to water what I want.
Love love love Snapdragons!!

Will, seems a dead end is the last place you would want to be dumping an animal. I'll bet your Grandma had a good dog!

If you use the water daily or at least every three days, there will be no mosquitos.

Love the knee highs :o)

I've seen the algae that gets cleaned out of ponds. Sometimes it could fill a wheelbarrow!

I hope your whiskey barrel goes well :o)

Pepper, I just love the catmint! I think that's why I like Perovskia. Both colors are unusual. I never thought of using it with Sedum, but I really like that too!

Happ, I love it!! I also forgot that my other neighbor has a bright yellow bug parked out back. It's in a lot of my pictures, LOL!

Ooooh, love the glider and bed around it!

Pepper, it took a while, but I finally got a good stand of the cardinal flower. They like wet, but can handle dry. I go native. Queen Victoria, pretty as she is, won't winter over. I was also suprised with the blue lobelia a couple years ago.. Funny thing is. I had them many many years ago. I guess three seeds sprouted the same year. I was thrilled!

I didn't know you had a sister! AWESOME!! I hope he can find one of the cargo planes!

Happ, that's how I describe the andirondack chairs. They just drain all the tired from you!

I'm amazed!! It's absolutely yours!

Pepper, giggling over all the catmint! That is a beautiful pair too!

Will, you have ''gardener's lament.'' No place to put it yet :o)

Awesome!! Fed ex will be good! Good thing you never robbed a bank yet :o)

That is a nice bunch of plants! LOL! I see Queen Victoria! I had no idea!

Will, I agree with Birder. Any bindweed is a bad vine. It will grow a root you will try to get rid of every year. I'd kill it now. There's better plants out there.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8625426

You do NOT want bind weed, you will have lots of enemies with that...horrible, it will kill out trees if left on it's own. I will drop your iris off sometime Monday, probably just drop them at the edge of the drive cause I will be in a mighty big hurry, need to see my nephew then back either to work or after work I have a meeting so won't have any time...but wanted to get them to you.

Wow it is cool today, gotta go finish up.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8626207

We got 3/4" of rain last night! Boy am I glad to see that, but we could sure use some more. Another chance for showers the middle of the week.

Took DGD's to the Tulsa Zoo yesterday. It is such a neat place, and they love going. They have all kinds of beautiful flowers planted all over the zoo. It's like botanical gardens zoo. lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8626363

Yep, it's Queen Victoria. I've never seen the other kinds of it, just the fussy Queen. LOL. I have seen the blue but it's been a long time and it didn't like me either. lol

Will, bindweed you don't want. Trust us when we say that. KILL IT!!! lol. Think of it as bush honeysuckle. Horrible stuff!! And congrats on FedEx!!!

Yep, actually have 2 sisters and 3 brothers. Plus a brother in law and a future sister in law. SIL is great, BIL not so much. lol.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8626999

Happ, how true! Over the last few years we've noticed it on everything! Drive in the country and the abandoned places are covered. It's ugly!

Crit, I'd sure like to pass my rain along. We have had enough and are in for a chance almost every day this week. I'm getting realy sick of the cool weather too.

I wish we had a big Zoo around here. I just love to go to them! Especially now that they make the environment right for them.

Pepper, you need to get Lobelia cardinalis. No name to it.

That's a nice big family. I lost a younger sister and have two younger brothers. Maybe ''not so much'' BIL will change, once he's in the family long enough.

We're going to slowly warm up this week. I'm sitting here in thin winter jammies. I ate a bowl of cereal and am on the edge of goosebumps. I really hate being cold!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8627011

I saw a frame at one of the big fairs showing how big ONE seed of bindweed can get. It was set on a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a frame! It was HUGE. You really do not want to get bindweed started!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8627096

Years ago I did some work for the county. I was weeding newly planted tree lines. The machine was a weed badger. It would go between the trees. It had a wheel on an arm that spun.
Long story short, it caught some bindweed. Before I could stop it, I think it clear a ˝ acre. I remember it taking a long time to get it untangled from the machine.
You certainly do not want that around. It is a noxious weed anyhow, so fines are in order if you do not kill it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8627689

No Bindweed for me, all I got is somehow only in my pots. I'll be sure when I plant whatever is in the pots to pull out the bindweed roots and all.
Thanks for the well-wishes on my new and glorious job! Fedex should be alright, I had orientation today and my first day is 4:30 tomorrow morning. I think they said they go easy on the noobs for a while, the first few days may only be a couple hours each of the hard part. That's some bindweed seed there, Crit!

Oooh, sorry to hear you lost a Sister, billlyp. I have a pretty big family, I'm the oldest of 3 other siblings, a Brother and 2 Sisters.

I had a family reunion yesterday, oh joy!

Don't want no steenking weed police here, they'd lock me up! : )

No bank robbing for me, I'm still on liquor stores!
Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8627971

No drop off today Will, returning to work after a few days off is major overload. Got the iris chopped yesterday and sitting in the little water garden.

Congrats on the new job. Starting at 4:30? Wowzer, is that am? Wowzer.

Amazing weekend we had and not a drop of rain for us. I heard you all got rain on Friday night... I could use some, there are places I can't get the shovel in the ground, so weeding was a matter of tearing off the top covering with cardboard and applying mulch...rofl We have huge cracks in the ground.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8628057

Thats okay happ, Thanks, nothing like being middle aged and starting a new job! I knew I forgot something when I was writing earlier! That would be great, anytime happ, I would love to have it! Theres a good chance I'll be asleep if you come at that time.
Yeah 4:30 am, that is early! It will prolly be 3:30 or 4 am sometime though. Either they have new hires come in after the shift starts or they have me on the wrong shift. Oh, just in case anybody out there is interested in Fedex, I found something else out, they are stingy on starting insurance for new hires, its after 1,000 hours of employment, then you're eligible. I didn't need any right now, but it sure would be nice to be covered! At the part time rate, (which 90% of Fedex is), it could take around a year before you are eligible for insurance. I am guessing it is a surprise to alot of applicants there.
Yeah, its been raining pretty regularly here I think, not alot at a time but it seems like it's raining alot the last few days.
Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8628099

Will, walmart is 6mo for insurance if you are full-time and a year if you are part-time, and part-time you have to work 3 times a week, nothing less. Insurance has gotten so expensive! Someone or a lot of someones have to be making money with all their hands in the pie... Most companies like the part-time employee, which is great if you are the employer...hard on employees.

CGardens, that had to be a shock to see an acre of that stuff getting pulled into the machine! I have a small tiller like you see advertised and it is amazing how much stuff gets wrapped around the tines...so I can't imagine trying to get that all dislodged from a big machine...

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8628161

Thanks but I don't know if Walmart will have me! I've applied there several times and had several interviews at them even, I don't think they like me!
That stuff is climbing fast I see! I intend to pull it every time I see it. Here it is growing up the fence where I'm trying to get Wisteria growing!
Dangit! I must have another smudge on the lens!
Will

This message was edited Jun 13, 2011 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8628253

I'm gonna get those potted from Pepper soon into bigger pots. It has been raining so often lately that I'm pretty sure they're okay with they're current pots, except the Cardinal plant, it has grown maybe 6 inches since I got it, it still looks great! I'll get it and the others potted up into bigger pots real soon, hopefully tomorrow.
Here is the Cardinal plant going up like a weed! It says zone 5 so it might be okay here.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8628254

Here is Mable's Table! Isn't it cool looking?!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8628258

If I had known Ligularia was this great looking I'd have got it sooner!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011

Post #8628382

I thought the same thing when I saw the ligularia too!! I have I think 3 planted now. lol. I love them!! Can't wait til they bloom!! And now have 3 heuchera. lol. We might have to mulch our lobelia in the fall to help them survive winter. Maybe that will help the fussy Queen survive here. lol

Decorative pot with Heart of the Jungle ee coming up.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8628484

Very pretty happ! Bright and cheery.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8629324

Crit, ROTFL over our monster Bindweed, but it truely is!!

Bernie, I can imagine that! It just swallows small trees and climbs the big ones. Plus, it's all ugly when it's covered like that. Then it dies back in the winter. I'm sure it's good cover for the rabbits, but do we really need more of them? NO!

Will, smiling over the ''beating'' you just took!

You have a nice family. My sister and I were two years apart. My oldest brother and I are five years apart. The brothers are 18 months apart. Three of us were born in April. Mom and first brother in October, and Dad in May :o)

ROTFL! I forgot the liquor stores! Well none of that! You have a job to do!

Happ, I'd take cardboard and mulch over weeding some times :o) I like to weed, but hate to do chickweed and the others that have many short pieces. I have no room to get a hoe in and they know it!!

Will, you are luckier than most to have that job!! Yeah, the insurance is expensive for them. DH had to pay his at ''Proctor and Gamble'' for the first 6 months. After that it was good insurance tho.

Happ, ROTFL over the different wording for the same thing!!

I had a mental image of it all wrapping up before Bernie could get it shut off. Dad talks about the shoestring vine that they had problems with on the farm. Wrapped up good!

Will, not getting on at Walmart may be a blessing in disguise. It's a job, but you're put thru a bunch of ''feel good'' meetings every morning, and then the benifits are nothing.

Just keep ripping it out. You can kill the root while it's young. It still may take a few years.

Nice looking Cardinal Plant! I hope it winters over for you. The color is a beautiful blue hued red. The hummers love it!

Oooh, let me know if the lavender smells heavenly!

I have ligularia ''The Rocket'' and I love it! I set it in the shade on the NE side of the back steps. That way when I dump dirty water it will be the first to get it. It wilts easily in heat, but recovers by night.

Nice pot pepper! I looked at an EE called Coffee something, but never got it. I'm not good at storing things over winter yet. I love how the truck color echoes the lantana!

It's dark here, but not raining right now. We've had a half inch since 2:00 am. The oldest grandson is suposed to have a ball game tonight. I hope so. I haven't seen him play yet nd we have to either get him to the game or just take them home. They're playing nice quiet so far. Usually they're bugging me every few minutes while I'm on the computer, LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8630119

Pepper that is a beautiful pot.

Will, there are water iris in your driveway sitting on a box lid...waiting patiently! ;)

Billy, kids aren't the only ones who like to bug people when they are on the computer, my DH doesn't say two words unless I am on the computer or wanting to watch a show! rofl.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8630525

I didn't see those earlier! I musta been in bed when you came by, last nite? I was looking for them after I read you're post up there, happ. And I thot, "oh no, the trashman picked them up"! I didn't see them at first, today was trash day. I've potted them up, I dipped the roots in my water/mudhole of a future waterpond.
It's about half full of rainwater, I got a photo of the newly potted plants today, the water irises are in the 2 medium sized black pots.
They are nice ones, thanks happ! I spent a couple hours this afternoon potting and even planting!
That 'Queen Victoria' Lobelia is looking good, I hope it overwinters okay too! That Coral Bells is a beauty too, it'll be a big plant in no time.
I keep everything watered when it don't rain, my pots never have a lack of water! I hope to have all of them planted before Fall.
I read that Ligularia was a shade plant, so I set them and the Heuchera Bells in shady spots.
Yeah, I do take a beating in Chess much of the time! My Grandpa was playing good last time, he beat me 3 out of 5 games.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8630677

Bp, here's a pic of a pic of what our liguaria is supposed to look like when it blooms. The blooms are more daisy like. Kinda hard to see since I was aiming more for the plants but you get the idea. That's my huchera next to it. lol. I would love to have The Rocket!! I need to find that one. I like the blooms on it.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8630857

We are under a thunderstorm watch. If the cells move northeast, we should get some rain tonight. I certainly hope so. Don't need the severe stuff, but would like the rain.

There are 5 kids in my family. I am the 'baby'. My sister is the oldest and she is 13 years older than me. Then 3 brothers 12, 7 and 5 years older than me. Then ME!

I was excited to find some lobelia at atwoods 75% off sale of perennials, only to find it tonight all mushy. Don't know if I watered it too much or what. They were in those little plastic pots and wanted to be sure they didn't dry out. Nothing else did that.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8631142

Will I set the iris out today around noon or so, ran up to meet sister at lunch then back to work.

Crit, have to laugh, I have a sister 7 years older than me and one 11 years younger than me, so 7 - 11! I have a pic of my Mom about 10 months pregnant with my baby sister when my older sister graduated from high school. Had to have been a shock for my parents...rofl. Mom always had a baby sitter, with one of us girls... Do you remember your siblings living at home with you? My baby sister doesn't too much cause we were so much older. Wow you were either adored by your older siblings or picked on nonstop...rofl...

Hope everyone gets some nice rain and no bad storms. Looks like we are dry again. I watered today...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8631486

No, I don't remember a whole lot, just bits and pieces. I remember my 2 youngest brothers and I being at home together, but mostly just the one 5 years older than me and myself. A lot of 'newby' people that haven't lived in my home town all their lives, have told me they only thought there were 3 of us, because the two oldest moved away.

We had storms go through but only got 1/4" of rain. Oh well, at least I didn't have to water, but there isn't any water in the trays under them. And no damage ... thank you God, because there was some damage in Norman. They were predicting possibly baseball size hail! YIKES! We got a little pea size hail.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8633163

Thanks Sally. That Cardinal plant is a nice color. I potted many others today to go with it. I pulled some Bindweed off the fence, boy is it stubborn, the roots wouldn't come with it.
The Fedex job is still going, I've been there 3 days now, yippee! Ligularia 'The Rocket' eh? I'll have to look that up!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8633625

Happ, I remember my Mom being on the phone and suddenly needing something, LOL! I also remember her waving us away! My DH does the same thing!

Will, I have a small bucket just like the one you put your Coral Bell into. I think it's the cutest thing!

Pepper, I like Midnight Lady!

Crit, I hope you get rain. I hope I don't. We're wet enough!

Awww, I'll bet you were oohed and ahhed over! I love the three boys in the middle. That's so cool!

I don't think you caused the plant to be mushy. I'd take it back if possible.

Happ, you have a neat family story too :o) I'll bet your Mom fell over in a faint, LOL! I would have!

Crit, 1/4'' is a start. It takes rain to make rain I always say. Lucky on the hail. We rarely have anything larger.

Will, I took picture of the bindweed across the road, LOL! Keep that job!

OK, many picture to come.

First, Ligularia. I took this the other day.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8633628

A few years ago when I had it in another bed.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8633629

Next, Bindweeed. This is across the road and also the other day :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011

Post #8633630

The dead in the trees left over from last year.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8633633

Now the big news. We have babies! Sara delivered the twins this morning.

Carly Anne was born first at 2:58 am. She weighs 6# 2 ounces is 19'' long

Callun Richard was born 7 minutes later at 3:05 am. He weighs 6# 3 ounces and is 19'' long.

Cael will be 7 on September 6th and Colton will be 5 on September 24th.

Boy left, girl right.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8633636

Closer :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011

Post #8633637

All of us.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2011

Post #8633638

Yippeee... more rain today! Nice gentle rain. It wasn't even forcast, but got a severe thunderstorm warning call at 4:45. Then this morning, they added a 20-30% chance of rain everday. lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8633644

PRECIOUS is the first word that comes to mind. Congratulations! Nice size babies for twins ... I be momma was huge and miserable!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8633646

Crit, thanks! Mama Was huge, but never miserable. She carried them straight and tall up to the end. All she had were swollen feet. She was 6# 3 & /2 oz. herself, so it's nice to hold that size again :o)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8633790

Congrats Sally! I remember you inserted a photo of you're DD about 3 weeks ago, (I don't know what DD means, I think daughter!). - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8585837 Thats quite a load there, my feet would be sore too! Cute kids though. Oh I guess I'll keep the job for awhile if I have to! Oh, how I love a new job! Now, I'm in the "remember how to do this" stage! They worked me good last nite! My feet are sore!
Thats some Bindweed, Sally! Oh, I have Coral Bells in two metal buckets, both buckets are in this photo. I set those in a group because they need something, like drain-holes drilled in the bottom -

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8634117

Oh Billy, congratulations! They are really pretty babies, twins, wowzer, I can't even imagine what that would be like... ;) So excited for all of you.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011

Post #8634877

The babies look nice and healthy!!!

We got rain today! Whooo!!! No watering to be done for a couple days. Now I can get my tent set up and air mattress aired up tomorrow too. I hope anyways! lol

My canna and 'Golden Attraction' butterfly bush.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8635170

pepper, that is a lovely bf bush. I've never seen that color or seen that plant for sale.

Blooming today unnamed daylily and Brunella Lily.

This is the daylily:

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8635171

Brunella:

Thumbnail by Crit

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8635681

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1181763/#new

Will, yep, Dear Daughter.

You'll get used to the job :o)

That's why I never planted in mine. I didn't want holes in the bottm. It didn't seem right, LOL! I keep junk in it in the garage.
Happ, I can't imagine it either, but I'm going to find out!

Pepper, LOL! Here I am hoping it doesn't rain because we are too wet!

I hope all goes well with the floating and the camping!

Oooh! Nice combo!

Crit, I have a lot of no ID daylilies too. I have two books and still can't name them :o(

I have a similar one I call Brick Red. It's not all that pretty, but I think it's an old one and it's from a friend.

Brunella is very pretty!

We're supposed to get rain. The humidity is up and it's cloudy. RATS!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8635997

HAPPY dance, or should I say HAPP dance we finally got rain yesterday, last night, and I hope this morning...Katie bar the door though, if the sun comes out we will be smoking in humidity! wowzer!
I have not had the rain you to the south or north of me have been getting. We hadn't had rain in a long time, so I am glad. I had huge cracks in the ground. I can now pull some weeds, plant some flowers, not water, and dig up some flowers and finishing edging. The ground was so hard I couldn't get the shovel in! DH was hoping for a drought because he hates mowing...rofl.

Are the twin’s home yet? Grandma is gonna be very busy... ;)

Pretty blooms Crit. I have lots of noid daylilies. A friend of mine gave me a bunch from a friend of hers that was a hybridizer. When my friend got them they were all named and tagged. My friend took the daylilies, threw the tags away and then clumped them all in one little bed next to the sidewalk! LOL. She asked me a few years ago if I wanted some and I jumped at the chance, I love the blooms and I am outlining most of my gardens with them to keep from having to edge, sides I am not particular if they are named or not. Doesn't change how pretty they are.

My daylilies are just started popping open, some still don't even have scapes yet...hope this rain helps.

I think idling a noid daylily is impossible, there are soooo many varieties and some of the differences are so suttle that you would have to be a scholar in daylilies to tell the difference. There is a daylily place not far from where I live and he took us to his "small" daylily garden and was showing us the difference between two daylilies that to me at first looked exactly the same. I would have never known they were different. I have lots of noid's...LOL I am trying harder to tag the new ones I get, but I am beginning to believe as long as I have DH and animals it might be a losing battle.

This is one I got in a swap last year.
Radiation Biohazard...got to love the names of these things. Course it kind of looks like one of those signs...

Thumbnail by happgarden

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8637389

Love that daylily Happ!! Especially the name. LOL.

We got the rain too. Happy dance here since I dont' have to water for a couple days!! Give me rain anytime!! LOL

Crit, my bb is similar to Honeycomb bb, which is much more common.

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8638035

Aww, love the Happ dance! We are cool and humid now. That's almost as bad.

Well, I'm glad DH doesn't get his way with a drought :o)

They did get home and we're going out today to see them. They'll have clothes on now!

Threw the tags. Too bad it wasn't in a drawer. Now we are going to HAVE to see pictures of them!!

Daylilies love rain. I never knew their roots absorbed it like a camel's hump. I make sure the older varieties, especially, don't get too dry.

It's hard sometimes, but I can find differences in blooms. I do have trouble identifying tho.

Oooh, that's prettier than Frans Hall which is also red and yellow. I like this one! The name does say it all.

Pepper, I love love love Phlox! My Frans Shubert puts out beautiful pink seedlings!

I have the old time purple garden phlox. I don't think they are the muddy seedlings, but if they are, I still like them. These don't seem to reseed. The clumps just get bigger. I wish they would. I'd like to see what I get.

I finally got a good picture of the Mock Orange. This is Innocence.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8638165

Oh happ... I LOVE that daylily! If you ever thin it, can I get a start!

I've only seen the redish, bluish and blackish bb's. Never a golden color. Love it!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8638221

bp ... I didn't know that about the daylilies. That is interesting!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011

Post #8639037

We had a light pink one at work this year also. It was called 'Pink Delight'. Very subtle and pretty. I've also seen white ones. In fact my grandma has a white one.

Pink delight: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49901/

White Profusion: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/94259/

Honeycomb, the more common yellow one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51666/

Golden Glow, the one I have. I checked the tag and got the right name: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/125132/
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8639080

There is a sale at the other place for postage. If anyone is interested, dmail me and I will give you the URL

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8639385

babies are so sweet.

Great plants pics everyone.

Jan

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8639631

Crit, I thought it was intersting too. Especially after a few dry years and them losing leaves. I never let them get too dry now. The more water the bigger the flowers too. At least full size like they're supposed to be. Not supersized, LOL!

Pepper, Pink Delight is very pretty! I like the white too! I love the last two, but don't think they do well in zone 5a. I'm a bit cold for them. I sure love them tho!

Jan, they sure are. One thing I missed tho is them smelling like Johnson's Baby Lotion. The pink stuff :o)

More pics. They've already filled out a little more.

This wasn't easy, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8639633

This was better!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8639635

The closer the camera is to her the bigger she looks. She's a bit bigger, but does have a larger head :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8639818

Wish I would of seen the pic of the garden phlox before now, I think I dug some up it today thinking it was a weed. Dang that is the pits. I know I have dug up more hardy geranium than I can count on 2 hands...I don't buy it anymore because of that.

It was HOT and HUMID yesterday...wow I did get a few things planted, moved around, and cleaned on. I have to mow today or bale one of the other.

Crit I will keep you in mind on the biohazard. I got it in a swap last year and couldn't figure out where to put it so it is still in the pot. Think I will put it right out where I can see it when I come out the front door.

Billy how were those little ones?

Editted to say I wrote this last night and didn't post until today, so Billy sorry I missed the pics until just now...rofl.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 8:02 AM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8639826

Happ, that is a bummer! I hope it's mow. Baling is hard work, LOL!

They are doing so well and have filled out some already. They were real good for us yesterday! I can't wait to hold them again. I still didn't get enough pictures!

Have a great day everyone. I have to get busy!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8643227

Awww.. Sally is a doting Grandma! Well, I am starting my second week of employment at Fedex tonite in the wee hours!
Will
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8643304

How's it going Will? What are you doing there?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8643329

Hope this goes thru. Have tried posting several times only to get a server error. Can't even post pics tonight which isn't that big of a deal. lol

Waiting for the next batch of storms to hit tonight. lol

Enjoying the new job yet Will?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8643344

I was having trouble too. THought it was me. Now my custom box is on the left instead of the right and I don't know how to change it back.

Yup, storms are suppose to be here in a couple of hours too.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8643351

You can't change it. It's a permament. The admin changed it for several reasons. Part of it was to accomodate the ads better. Most aren't happy about it but at this point there is nothing you can do about it. I also had mine on the right and prefer it there.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8643479

It's going okay, thanks, Crit, I handle Fedex packages. And you? How's it going down there in sunny Tulsa, Crit? It's a tedious and physical job at Fedex, but I'm getting used to being sore! Enjoying it, Pepper?! No! But, it could be worse I suppose. The hardest part is getting up at 2:30am! I've always managed to be on time and stuff, but my alarm clock is getting a workout from the snooze button! I'm thinking I'll work there for awhile then maybe move onto something with sooner bennies and better and more hours.

I pushmowed my small-town KS. ˝ acre yesterday, this time I seem to have traded the usual runny nose with Chigger bites all over my ankles and legs! And I was wearing sweat-pants and socks, and a Sombrero to protect me from the sun even!

I noticed the change here too with the layout and stuff, glad it wasn't just me! I haven't had any trouble with anything else. I had to look to make sure I was logged in because things didn't look like usual.
Will
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8643604

Will, I have researched recently about chiggers. I discovered sulfur powder keeps the chiggers away. Some people mix talcum powder and sulfur powder together and shake it in their shoes and socks.
Others have spread sulfur on their lawns. They say it stinks for a few days and then goes away. I haven't tried it yet, but am considering it.
Chigger bites will drive you nuts!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8644111

Will, boy, that week went fast! How are you liking it? Who all do you deliver to? All people, all businesses or both? Who is up at 2:30 am to recieve a package? LOL! Hang in there long enough to get a good work report.

I would consider the work, exercise. It will be good for you!

Pepper, I hope the trouble isn't on your end of the computer.

Hmm, custom boxes changed. I never noticed, LOL!
I just looked. All my things are on the right, but the custom box is just a heading. I have no idea what is supposed to be in there. I did customize my page quite a while back.

Birder, interesting about the chiggers. I don't have a problem with them here, but remember getting the bites as a kid when I'd been in the grass. Knock on wood, but I wonder why I don't have them?

Have you ever seen a Mulberry Tree so full?

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8645248

Haha, billyp! I deliver Fedex packages to pimps and whatnot, I just deliver the package, I don't have to know whats in the package! I'm just kidding, I don't deliver at all.
The drivers come in about 6am and load up. What I do as a package handler is just carry the packages off the conveyor belt and stack them sorted for the drivers. I gotta tell you, some of the drivers are jerks! This one always has some wisecracks for me, "don't stack that there", "the label is over here", I might have to deliver a package to his forehead! And those drivers will tell on you, they'll just make stuff up!
How am I liking it? Well, it wouldn't be so bad if sweating and regularly getting behind wasn't a part of the job! But yeah, I expect it is good exercise, you're body doesn't know everything stinks!
But, my co-workers are pretty nice, they are team workers too. My work report is good, they said. They just now, (after a week) tell me not to time in even a minute early, which I don't really understand, how am I supposed to time in at the same time that I report for our morning meeting?! I didn't say anything though, it's not easy having bosses that are 20 years younger than you, oh well!

Thanks birder, sulphur eh? I may be trying that. I am ate up with Chigger bites on my legs and ankles. If I itch once, theres no stopping, then thats red for a long time and it itches like crazy! Last nite I put oatmeal in a sock (and put it on me as I bathed), I put Cortizone cream on me before I went to bed. Maybe it'll only last a couple days! Chiggers mean business!

Those are some nice Mulberries bllyp. Is that a Red Mulberry or the more common non-native White Mulberry? I don't see any white mulberries there myself. Mulberries are good though, you or somebody oughta get them before the birds do!
Will

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 4:40 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8645270

We had a big mulberry tree in the back yard when I was a kid. My mom would get after me for eating them, that they were not for people. I never really knew why.

They don't want you to clock in early, because then you can leave early or they have to pay you overtime.

I wish people (administrators) would JUST LEAVE THINGS ALONE!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011

Post #8645616

Will, get some BiteMD for those bites. We found some at Cargo Largo last year and that's the first and only thing I have found that works. I apply it twice a day til it doesn't itch anymore.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8645743

Another DG'er had chiggers and she used chiggerx . I always just use clear fingernail polish.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8645747

I've tried the fingernail polish and it never really worked for me. It always made me mad too!! LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8645771

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind. I like fingernail polish too, but this is too much I think to do that suffocating thing. It's equally as bad on the other ankle and my legs are bad too. Sorry, not a pretty foot, I forgot about my pedi appointment!
Just kidding about the pedi but heres an ate up ankle this evening!

Oh Crit, it's just a part-time job, theres no chance of getting OT, but I think they want the vast majority of employees to have the same dismal 4 hours a day, it's kinda pathetic but I think they don't mind if everybody there is broke! We can't just leave, I'm pretty sure we'd get fired. Like today, my early 20 something boss says "you can go home right after this box". They like to dismiss people one at a time.
Will

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8645882

Will, that looks like poison ivy also.

Have you tried UPS? They might be better.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8645930

Looks like chiggers to me. They are dismal. I think they're worse than mosquito bites. One time, I visited a friend's garden, and I was eaten up by chiggers. I called my Dr and he gave me an Rx for itch medicine. It worked really well. You may want to consider that avenue.
I had a chigger recently at the between of my two littlest toes right at the crevice. It was driving me wild. I ended up scratching it, and then, I put vinegar on it. (Research) It burned like wild fire, but it quit itching after that. I "think" I killed the little burger. I'd rather have the burn than the itch. It's scabbed over now, but I have relief from the itching. Man, I feel for you.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8646344

Owie, owie ... that looks miserable.

Step-son likes his UPS job. He's a box thrower (his words lol)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8646606

Will, I know you handle the boxes that say "plants" on them very gentle right...rofl. The drivers are pretty crabby because they have a certain amount of time to get their routes done also. Everything is based on time! I think FedX and UPS have the same company model they work off of. As many part-time as possible but at least they pay better than like Wally world.

This cool spell is amazing! Would hate it if I was a kid cause we went to the lake all the time and the pool so it would be a little chilly for all that.

Will, my XDH was in the blue berets (back in vietnam days, it was the air force’s equivalent to green berets) anyway back to the point, the chiggers in the fields out in Texas were so horrible the guys wore panty hose under their camouflage fatigues, all of us wives would just crack up watching the macho men trying to get into these things...rofl. They have to be the thick hose so the chiggers can't bury in.

Here is one of my pretties blooming.

Thumbnail by happgarden

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 22, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8646937

Ha-ha. Another reason to live in Minnesota!

Getting lots of rain last few days.
But garden is really going. Pepper plants grew 6" since Sunday when I cultivated them.
My son is staking & tying tomatoes.

3 workers are trying to keep weeds under control. So far, so good.

I am going to the shop to do some sanding shortly.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8647201

Wow CG your garden is doing good. I was late getting the tomatoes out but they have really hopped to it. That is really the only thing i have in the new raised beds because I don't have any soil but one little glob...but look out next year... Are you a commerical grower, a farmer's market grower, or growing for you?
One of my friends is a farmer's market grower and they hit about 5 farmers markets a week.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8647209

Will, I see. I would actually like your job better than being a driver. I'm sure they give everyone a hard time. Just stack your packages and ignore them. They don't even rate a good morning till they say it first.

I guess you follow someone in and do as they do. I understand not having the time card read ''off.''

If you already got a good report then you just need to have more practice. You'll do fine.

I would call it a black mulberry since those are the ripe one's. We also have the white and go out to the cemetery just to eat them, as we did the other day. There are black mulberries on the edge of town and I ate some this morning on my walk.

Crit, kids and mulberries can end up a purple mess. The stain will last a day. Or, maybe your Mom was aware of the bugs that can be opn the one you eat. I don't look, LOL! (Yes I do.)

Agreed, they mess it all up for those who learn how to do things that work for the people. They get their job done, they should ''police'' themselves.

If you Google them, what happens is their bite destroys tissue, hardening it and creating a feeding tube. they can eat for a few days.

That looks pretty itchy!

Birder17, man, I feel for YOU!! That had to be torture, LOL!

Happ, I do imagine they are about the same. Schedules. if you can't keep up, they'll let you go.

Smiling. Those pantyhose would be worth it tho! Right Will?

Oh, how delicately gorgeous!!

Bernie, ''so far so good.'' Wonderful words!

Happ, those Farmer's Markets are a lot of hard dedicated work. Bernie's produce is picture perfect, laid out neatly and snapped up!

I see no rain. I think I'll walk the yard and see what's bloooming.

Have a great rest of the day all!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8647898

I thought I was protecting from Poison Ivy actually, I've had that before and it does indeed smart. This is a little bit of a different feeling and itch. I was totally covered that day on my legs and my feet, I couldn't have touched any Poison Ivy I don't think. I've had Poison Ivy before, I am not in the 15% of people that are immune to it. Oh, I know the saying, "if leaves are three, leave it be!"!
When I've itched Poison Ivy I'd be like, "oh boy, thats going to scar". I don't feel like that with this, it just itches like crazy!
Crit said it good, it is miserable! With any luck though, it won't last much longer, altho, so far it still itches pretty bad, maybe I'll try some vinegar in a bit.

http://www.maddash.net/videos/ups/ptph2/ That says "maddash", but it's a UPS site. They have videos instead of actual information. Tuition assistance is $3,000 a year there, which is good,
Fedex is only $1,500 a yr. Years ago a friend of mine worked there while attending William Jewell College and has had great jobs since. But, that assistance is not much when tuition can be way up there per semester. And the pay at UPS is only $8.50 an hour to start. I can't find it of course but I think they're bennies start much sooner than Fedex, if I lived closer to Lenexa, KS. I'd consider them more. Whats nice also there, everybody gets a scheduled interview, that you can reschedule or cancel it online if you want to. I've applied there twice over the years but always had to cancel the interview. The pay there though is pretty well down there, you'd need to live on the very basic essentials and not go much of anywhere or have a life or anything! Basically, I think you better still live at home..lol If I was younger I'd prolly jump on it.

I don't recall seeing any of what might be plant boxes, happ, tho I'd surely handle them with utmost care, seriously, I never let packages fall or drop them. Some package handlers I don't think are that caring or even attentive that they're sorted right, generally tho I think people there understand the importance of handling with care, they do stress that. I think Fedex might not be the preferred shipper of plant materials.
Thats a nice light pink Lily there, happ. Here is one of my 3 Purple Prince Lily Trees in the photo, it's growing like a weed! I ought to do that panty hose when I mow, I never thought of that. I think I'll wear my Sombrero and panty hose when I mow, wouldn't that be something! The cops would be loading me up! I remember a few years ago I drew my now deceased Aunt in our Christmas gift thing and she wanted "hose", so at Christmas I had a garden hose all wrapped up, they laughed for a while on that, but I did't know!

Last nite, everybody was behind, thats the plan there, swamp everybody with packages while they're there! You don't even have time to get a drink of water! I don't know how long I'll be there, it is pretty discouraging most of the time. Ack, Chiggers sound nasty, I hope they don't feed on me for long! Oh, I do like me a panty hose! I have plenty of extra from robbing liquor stores! It IS pretty itchy! Did you ever see that episode of Seinfeld where Newman is scratching from fleas? Thats what I do when people aren't looking, I'm fraught with Chiggers!

Oh, this weather is nice, at 4am it is great! Thats one good thing about that Fedex job. MN. though would be real nice Summer weather.

A "box thrower" hehe! I'm quite sure thats just an expression, if we got caught throwing boxes, heads would roll!

Last nite I loaded a 47" Vizio 3D flat panel tv at work, I was in a state of envy!

Will

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8647905

Just enjoying the weather and trying to hurry up and pack as much as possible today. Tomorrow after work I have to go get the wood and we will probably cut more just to be on the safe side.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8648128

FYI, I had lots of mosquito bites about 3 weeks ago. They lasted five days. Maybe, it will be the same for the chiggers. Again, I think they're worse than mosquito bites. Are you taking Benydryl? That will help a little. For me, itching brings relief if I scratch them enough. To me, there's nothing worse than the chigger itch.

My HS girlfriend and husband are coming to see me tomorrow. I am excited. We haven't seen each other in eleven years. I used to see her when I would go home to see my folks, but they're gone now. So, it's been awhile since I have seen her. I should have company more often! We've been busy sprucing things up!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8648134

Yeah, mosquitoes are a scourge! I have this fear that they're going to drain all my blood out in my sleep! I have 3 bottles of Off! at the ready! I need a bed with mosquito netting!
I hope it's 5 days, it's already been 3. Benadryl eh? I'll see if we have some.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2011

Post #8648144

Benedryl helps me, it tends to dull the itch a little. I take it every 3.5 hours or so. I sure hope it helps you.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8648430

My ex SIL use to 'shave' the chiggers off her legs, literally! lol I guess it worked.

This is my lily Conca d'or that was blooming when I got home last night. It smelled so heavenly, the fragrence was all in the air! I couldn't stand it being outside for no one to enjoy, so I cut it and brought it in the house. The house smells GREAT!!!! The bloom is larger than my hand and I love the pasel yellow!

Thumbnail by Crit

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011

Post #8648432

Today on the new tv said "There is 156 dead" in Joplin, MO...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8648456

Oh gosh. You know it is going to keep rising as they get things cleared away. I hope it stops soon.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8648458

No, it never stop and still keep going and still help them for clean up...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8648598

Will, nice video. It makes me want to work there :o)

Huge smile over the garden hose! I would have thought the same thing, not being very ladylike!

I think the job will get better, unless you just don't enjoy sorting. Not everyone does, but I'm a ''place for everything and everything in it's place'' person, so I think I could do it. I would need time to adjust to working as fast as they expect you to tho.

Love Seinfeld shows! They are quintessial!

Envy is right! But then I would need wall space and a longer room so I didn't go blind watching it, LOL!

The lily looks great! Was that from Michigan Bulb?

Pepper, shame on me. I've forgottten what the wood and packing is for.

Birder, every year people say ''dab ammonia on itchy mosquito bites.'' I have yet to try it, but it must work.

How wonderful!! I am laughing over having company and sprucing up. It's the best way to be forced into cleaning!

Crit, yowza!! That is gorgeous! I wish I could smell it. My Formosa lilies are opening, but they almost stink up close.

I'm going to remember that name for my future ''want list.''

Rusty, I feel so bad for those who lost someone. I am so glad you weren't one of the dead!

We get the boys tomorrow. I miss them, so it's time. They've bugged their Mom long enough :o)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8648860

Rusty, it is scary about the fungus that they have found there! I thought I heard on the news that some of the new deaths were from people who got the fungus in their original wounds and died with complications from that. So glad you are safe and sound.

What beautiful weather we have been having...omg. I get out of the car walk to the garden and don't even go in until time to go to bed. The other night DH stuck his head out and said you do know it is 11pm? Wish I was off this week!

The river is rising in leaps and bounds. So odd to see so much water raise so quickly, that is alot of water.

I have lots in bloom right now.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8650042

Don't get all mesmerized by they're video, billyp! I can just see you with Kaleidoscope eyes watching the video! Thanks Sally, the Purple Prince Lily Tree bulbs came from Breck's.
Yeah, that Fedex job might be okay for awhile! Well, until I pass out or start getting limbs smashed! I don't intend to leave it unless I get entirely fed up with something, (which is possible at this rate)! I think they're surprised that I'm still there, most new hires work about 1 day, prolly. If you're serious about working there Sally, they say they have places everywhere.
Anybody want to see my Craigslist ad, I am selling my truck, anybody want a truck?!

Yeah Rusty, what a disaster, glad you're okay, theres so much work and cleanup to do there.
I drive over the Missouri River everyday for work, boy it looks high, but pretty soon it will be real high.

Will

This message was edited Jun 27, 2011 8:48 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011

Post #8650459

Will ... if you had envy over that TV, you should see our setup. We have a living room that is 20x22 and on one wall we have 110" screen and projection tv. It is so terrific!!!!! Especially for football, you can see every blade of grass!!!! We love it. You can stand right up against it to the side and still see it, not like some of the big screens. Never a bad seat in the room.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8650963

Happ, to me the fungus adds insult to injury. What a horrible way to die.

Now THAT is wonderful weather!!

Scary water.

So beautiful!! They are lit from within!

Will, LOL! I am smart enough to know there is no pauses in getting that box and putting it in the right plae. Keeping up would be tough!

Yes, Brecks! My memory is going!

There is such a high turnover these days because kids decide they don't like to work. They want it easy, so they work a couple of weeks to get the paycheck and quit.

I'm very impresses with your description of the truck. I think with your honesty and having parts and reciepts, someone will want it.

The video was good. It;s a shame the wind drowned out some of it.

Crit, awesome TV!! I am so jealous!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8652089

Guys did I tell you about the run in with a snake this spring when I piled up pine needles and he had curled up inside to get warm and I picked up the pile and he moved and got thrown 1/2 way across our 3 acres? WELL...last night I go out and grab the water can and it felt heavy (oh yeah) so I shake it to see how much water I left in it and it didn't shake like water, so I looked down and there is that snake in my watering can getting warm, so again he goes flying about 1/2 way across our 3 acres! Goood grief! He must like the wild rides at my house is all I can figure out! Look closely at the opening in the watering can you can see his little smiling face as he snickers about scaring the beegeeus out of me AGAIN.

Thumbnail by happgarden

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8652455

Yeow Crit, that would be sweet, I've seen those new projection setups for sale. That would be like the movies!

Thanks billyp, yeah keeping up at Fedex is difficult, you want to keep up with the others. The pace is overwhelming many times, I mean boxes falling off the conveyor belt. They sometimes don't even have time to put a label on the boxes, they come so fast. They come down these chutes like when you exit a water slide at a waterpark, they're here in about 1 second! It's not just me, it's everybody. Swamping is just the job, nobody gets chewed out because they know it's difficult work. I think people work so fast, that errors are pretty likely. It's kinda Fedex's own fault, slow things down so people have time to think and get water to drink for Petes Sake! Working with a mouth that feels like it's full of cottonballs can't be good for anybody!

I'd like to sell that truck, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't. I bet if I didn't mention the oil leak I'd already have lots of calls, I haven't even had a call yet.
The wind was atrocious wasn't it?! I didn't realize that until I saw the video! I played back the video in the truck and didn't hear any audio, I'm glad there was some in a quieter environment, I wanted to describe stuff, not just go around my truck. I wanted to keep going with the video, but it stopped on it's own or something.
Thanks Sally, I hope I gave enuff details to please somebody enuff to buy it. Haha! One part that was drowned out by the wind I was just saying, "this is what working at Fedex will do to you're arms, bruise them up real nice!". Thats a major interstate in the background, I-70, very noisy.

Ohh.. happ is afraid of snakes! I think thats one of those venomous serpents that inhabit water-cans! Remember that, generally, I think if the head of a snake is not wider than it's body it isn't poisonous. Snakes are good though, they eat rodents and other vermin. My thing is the Brown Recluse Spider. That would be alarming tho! A snake in a water-can..hehe! I see it looking out, it's prolly in a daze!

The Water Irises are green and looking real nice, one is being hugged by a Cardinal Plant! How about those Johnny-Jump Ups in the fore ground from a seed packet this Spring already blooming odd little multi-colored flowers?! They're all in the photo below. I am very lucky to have so many quality plants to plant, this yard is gonna look like a million bucks this year!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2011

Post #8652558

Very nice looking plants there will. I just got a bunch more in trade that I need to get worked up and planted. We are going to have 4 out of 5 days next week that will be in the triple digets

m-100
tu-98
w-101
th-102
f-103

UGH!!!! We don't usually get this kind of heat until the end of July and August.

LOL happ... I see your little gardening buddies face now!

Blooming today Robina. The blooms are much larger in this bed and very fragrent. The one that bloomed in the other bed was small and no fragrence. May not be getting enough sun back there.

Thumbnail by Crit

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8654271

Thanks Crit. It's not nearly that hot here. It's only 81° F right now weather.com says - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US But, 90° F tomorrow they say, it's warming up to July I think. Boy, it's getting hot in the states around TX.! and West of there I'm sure too. Nice Robina there, Crit, very pretty.
I just got through watering outside, oh joy! My 3 Purple Prince Lily Trees are shooting for the sky! In the photo was yesterday, they are a little taller today. The soil in they're pots isn't very deep, I need to get them planted before they're like 3 feet tall! Those TropiCannas from Pepper are starting to come alive too.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8654485

Blooming today: gladiola

I had a box of canna roots that I thought hadn't survived the winter and I set out the back door. I saw starts on a few of them today. Most of the tubers are still solid, so I guess I'll plant them and see what happens.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8655805

Well, company's gone. She is a high school girlfriend. I hadn't seen her in eleven years. We had a nice visit. And, things got done around here that had been needing attention! We had great weather here: low humidity, nice breeze. We sat outside and watched the purple martins and visited a lot. I always think conversation flows better when you're outside.
Haven't read anymore about the chiggers? Maybe the worst is over.
I had President Cannas for years. I got them from my folks. Then, my husband was in the hospital around the time they were supposed to be lifted and we lost them. There was so much going on with him in the hospital, I just didn't even think of the Cannas.
I have a Casa Blanca lily that the deer are eating off all the blooms. It's right next to my house, but I guess that doesn't bother them.
Today, the humidity and heat are coming back.
Mississippi River is really high also. We have the flood gates up and they're leaking a little around the bottom.
Japanese Beetles are eating my rose blooms before they even open. I will have 25 on one bloom. Yuk! I hope someone figures out a way to get rid of them. I have milky spoor on my lawn.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8655911

birdie, have you tried putting hair clippings around your lilies to keep the deer and other critters away? They don't like the smell of 'human' and tend to avoid the area. I've done that for a long time and it really helps. You can put it around tulips or anything that critters might nibble on. I was late getting it out this spring but haven't had any problems since I did.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8656261

Wow Birder, it sounds like you have all the bad stuff from varments, flood, pessilants...omg...
Hotter than you know here today! Humidity is horrible, but at least a breeze! Thank goodness.
Will your plants are looking great. How is the planter box doing? Is it air conditioned where you work? I am guessing not because of the dock doors. Heck once you get use to the work nothing will bother you...it will all seem easy! Waiting for the sun to go down so I can water and get some more plants ready for a trade. Was in hopes to have it done by now, but...that didn't happen. I have had company this entire day from10 to about 5:30...I am exhausted. Tried to take a nap but no one was gonna let me do that...rofl.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8656330

Thanks happ, I'll get those plants planted eventually. Yeah, it heated up here too today, the temperature isn't really up there, only 92° or so but something is awful, it must be the humidity from heavy rains 3 or 4 days ago. I was outside for a little while and sweat was all in my eyes!
The planter box is doing good, but stuff is getting leggy and tall, it must be the lack of sunlight, I need to prune some of that stuff. Here it is in the photo, today.
AC at Fedex, no. But, it isn't very bad temperatures in the overnite hours. I don't even sweat until the workload gets up there about 3 minutes after opening bell!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8656444

Just got back home from float trip a few hours ago. Had a great time and am tired!! LOL. Still have unpacking to do but I will do that slowly. Am planning on another one here in a few weeks so some of the stuff will stay packed.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8656506

Good weather for a float trip. I've floated 3 rivers, the Current, the Osage, and the Merimac. The Current River was the only one that provided a thrill out of the 3. My Sister and her then BF capsized in it and everything in the canoe went down the river. They submerged they're new video camera, they took it back to Walmart and got they're money back..lol My other Sister and I just got pinned up against a submerged tree rootball with rushing water all around, we barely got out of that, the canoe was nearly on it's side but it never capsized! The Osage and the Merimac are slow rivers, we had little kids with us then. I remember on the Current we visited the spring as close as we could get to it. We walked thru the water where the spring branch part emptied into the river and you could barely stand up! It was refreshing though, the air temperature was like 90 something but the spring water (in the spring's branch) was 60 something, very refreshing! The actual spring is much too treacherous to be in, it was very deep and it was roiling way too much for people! We looked at it from the side! Spring-fed rivers are neat, they are crystal clear and they are much cooler.
Hope you remembered you're sun-screen, Pepper!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8657951

Yes, we have our share of "wildlife"! We have had groundhogs, deer, squirrell, and coons. The groundhogs were the most destructive. They stripped the leaves off of our squash and bean plants last summer. We were determined to get rid of him this year. We caught him in a trap and hauled him to Trail of Tears State Park-about 20 miles from us. The very next day we had another one-got rid of him too. So, our garden looks much better this summer. Our back yard is forest, so we can expect some critters!
No, I have not used human hair. I need to cut my husbands hair so, I am taking the hair out to the lily. Thanks for the tip.
We often take a canoe trip down the Current River in the fall. The trees have their glorious fall colors that reflect in the water. The water is slow and calm. And, there's very few people on the river. We have it almost to ourselves. I recommend it!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8657981

You can ask your hairdresser, or any hairdresser for that matter, to save you some clippings. Or you can just clean out your hairbrush everyday and put it in a plastic bag. I've done both! ^_^ Works.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8658077

Hey, good idea re: hairdresser! Thanks.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8659515

Happ, ROTFL&L&L&L&L!!! That is so funny! I would have reacted the same way, but picturing you doing it is priceless!

I DO see him!!

Will, exactly!! Fed-ex should slow the pace a bit. There's no good reason to keep people running like that.

It will take people time to decide if they want to fix the problems with the truck. Someone will think it's a good deal.

Yeah, I learned long ago how little wind it takes to blow into the speaker. Oh well, you got the main things across!

Nice plants to look forward to!

Crit, too hot!!

Robina is gorgeous!! I wonder if it's hardy here. I've never tried the ''pets'' and neither has my neighbor. Speaking of, I can smell my Orientals on the breeze. Lovely! This is one that was positively root bound! I hope to dig the chunk up and separate this year.

Will, you're lucky if you can just pop the lilies out, dirt and all and plant them. I would do it after they bloom, if they will bloom this year.

Crit, my glads are up but not blooming yet.

Laughing, I still have calla lilies in a sack. My SIL said she would take them.

Birder17, it sounds like a wonderful time with your friend. I agree. Out-door conversations are the best. So relaxed.

Pretty brave or hungry deer :o(

I'm 20 miles from the Missisissippi, but we aren't flooding. Maybe we're sending it to you!

I haven't seen the Japanese beetles yet either. Knock them into soapy water!!

Happ, we've been cold and are going to get a perfect day today. Then it warms up for the next three days, but not terrible like you guys down there.

You and me both, potting plants for different reasons. I'm waiting for the dirt to dry out again.

Will, the planter box looks good. Just nip the coleous some and it will put out side branches. I don't know if you can nip the rest.

Pepper, awesome! I'd leave what I could, packed too. How did your tent do?

Will, THAT was pretty exciting!! Spring fed are neat!

Birder, laughing over the groundhog. I'd go 20 miles out too! We have a live trap in the front yard waiting to get the racoons who keep ''dumping'' in the same spot in the yard.

I'm glad you saved your garden!

Canoeing, awesome!

I'm hoping to get a load of mulch for the grapes and hostas. I'd like to try the black mulch under the hostas. I know it won't stay dark black, but will look like dirt and keeping down the weeds is the plan!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8659712

billyp, I got the black mulch for the hosta's and it makes them pop! I have noticed that it is kind of like black pants with a white cat...rofl. You do see every little leaf that falls from the tree or whatever...rofl. It isn't bad, but I am so use to brown mulch which kind of hides everything. Juries out on it I guess, like the pop, but after 3 months? Glad you are not flooding, boy the Missouri river is just jumping up almost everyday.

Well for my birthday, my DH gave me 4 huge poles to start my pergola with! YES! He first told them cedar then when it was $300.00 he said never mind and got treated...rofl. He is going to set them for me, and then I am going to build the rest of it...I am so excited. I have several plans I like This is my NO NEW PROJECT THIS YEAR...rofl.

Pepper sounds like you had a great time! We will all wish we were on the rivers this weekend. Suppose to be warm...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8660389

I edited out the link to my truck ad, unbeknownst to me it wasn't published to Craigslist then. I took out the Youtube video and it published to Craigslist, I'm not sure how long the link here was going to work. Since I published it new I know it's working because a guy called and asked if it had rust, (which the video showed..lol). Craigslist may not allow links in the ads or something.
My honesty I'm pretty sure will be a detriment. You know, I think every vehicle I've ever had I got burned in some way or another, thats how people sell, they're wallet is number one, you really have to be cautious when buying a vehicle. I'm not going to be dishonest though, not that desperate, it actually saves grief and time for me. I don't want to be burned and I don't want to burn anyone.

Yes, I agree too, they should slow down the pace a bit at Fedex. You know around Christmas and Mother's Day, they really run people ragged I heard! On those days, I think they'd work somebody until an ambulance came and got them! I'm out of the, "remember how to do this" stage and into the, "blame the new guy" stage! Thanks, I'm gonna get my Fiskars on them soon!
Happy belated birthday, happ!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8660793

Happ... I thought Debra or someone said the black mulch would cook the roots on plants. Hope that doesn't happen to yours.

Have lilies blooming. Stargazer, Conca d'or and Robina . Boy do they smell good!!! I'm going to get some more and plant closer to the deck, or in big pots!

We broke a record for high temp yesterday. Old record was 102*, yesterday was 106*. Cool front came in and this morning was a lovely 71*. Only got up to about 93* today. Back into triple digets the next 3 days! UGH!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8660856

Well, it appears now that water is over the water wells for Odessa and they will soon lose water service if the water goes any higher. That means no showers, bathrooms, nada. I heard that one of the local news had a story on it but I can't find it. Oh well. lol

Today was decent but tomorrow will be a hot one!! Then after that temps in the low 100s. YIKES!! Summer has really arrived for sure now!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8661716

Happ, I got the black and love it! I did the Hostas, around the butterfly bush and the Monkshood. I hope it doesn't fade for a while. I used to use the beautiful brown, but it really faded.

I can't believe the Missouri river. When does it end???

LOL! We go treated too. It will look just fine. Second, yippeeee on the pergola!! How exciting!! Wow, build it yourself. I am impressed!!

Will, honesty is always the best policy and you didn't waste that guy's time. Be true to yourself!

Blame the new guy stage, ROTFL!!

Crit, all my beds are in the shade so I don't think mine will cook, but good point! It might work well for plants that like it hot.

One smell of the lilies and I too plan on putting them all over the place!!

Isn't that heat something? Even more so, the fact that it comes and goes so fast.

Pepper, I'm glad you will have water. I am so glad we weren't forced into river water. That's what they want us to do. Thankfully our town is too poor to have city water!

I wonder how long before my temps go up? It was hot in the sun yesterday but perfect in the shade.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8661918

Crit after I put the mulch in the shade garden I did think about how hot it could be if I were to use it in the sun gardens, but my shade garden is really really shady, but for the rest of the gardens I used the. In our MG program we plant the "barrels" around the city and they are black and it is a problem when it gets hot, course they cook on all sides.

Thank you for the birthday wish. I think I will try to line out the poles but the last time I tried to square something up I was off, can't afford to do that with the pergola. So i will start it and then have DH check it, just to be safe...taking a few days off to start on it. Course on the west side of the house it will only be a morning project in the weather they are predicting.

Every morning the river is higher, it is amazing to see it raise that fast. Thinking of the volume of water that it needs to jump that high every day just boggles my mind. Flooding here, drought south, fires west, heavens...
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8662695

Robina is quite pretty and fragrant too--what a bonus! I really like flowers that are fragrant. I used to try to really put in a lot of them, but a lot of the "fragrant' flowers are only fragrant if your nose is in them. So, I kind of quit investing in "fragrant' flowers. I noticed today, when we were sipping our coffee and watching the Purple Martins fledge and do their acrobatic moves in the sky, the Allyssum were quite enjoyably fragrant. I direct sowed a bunch of seed, and it has been rewarding.

Lillies are a fun plant to have. They ask little of you and are quite pretty and the Orientals are fragrant. I guess I should purchase and plant more of them.

I stopped by my hairdresser with a sack to collect some hair today.

I need to finish mulching my gardens. I am reluctant to put mulch where the poppies and foxglove are. I want them to re-seed. It's been a little less humid today--time to get out there and work in the gardens. Tomorrow, won't be so great and the weekend sounds horrible.

So, what's everybody doing for the 4th?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8662725

billy ... our heat came fast, but it sure isn't going fast!!!!!!!! It is too early for us to be in the triple digets!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8662736

birdie ... I was standing on the opposite side of the yard from my lilies and smelled a wonderful fragrent smell... it was the Conca d'or lily that is blooming. Has 3 blooms on it. I brought one in the house that only had 1 bud on it, and it smelled the whole house, and I have a fairly large house! I absolutely ador that one. Wish it were more colorful, but the pale yellow and white is pretty.

Just heard forecast for the week.

Th, Fr --- 103*
Sa, Su, Mo, Tu --- 100*
Wed, Thur 99*

Heat index to 110*

YIKES!!!!!!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8662859

Yeow, that is HOT in OK.! It's warming up here too, they say 97° F tomorrow and the next day, hot days coming up here. One weather forecast said 102° someday soon, but not sure that'll happen, we'll see. I photographed a Soapwort today with a little flower on it! How about my Kerr canning jar with a couple Hens and Chicks in it?! It doesn't have drain holes so I put River Rock in the bottom of it.
I tell you, I'm blaming the new guy stage for all it's worth. Everybody helps each other usually there, so not sure who's doing it, it could really be me! I saw it again last nite, somebody is mistaking the number 7 for a number 1 and it's making me look bad, I've been informed of "my" error! The wrong number like that can mean a delayed delivery, and not liking me much!
Isn't the Missouri River high?! I drive over it everyday to work and back and I'm waiting for it to wash the bridge away! Haha! No chance of that I suppose, but boy is it ever up there! Where we had the Fall RU 09' they say is going under water right now, in Parkville, MO. at English Landing Park. It's going under water pretty fast, I saw it on the news.
That is some project, happ. Be sure and take photos! I like Lilies too, altho I only have Ditchlilies, Red Lilies and 3 Purple Prince Lily Trees.
A friend of mine lives in Odessa, I'll have to ask him where he plans to use the bathroom! Thats not funny I suppose, but we kid each other!
A guy is coming to look at the truck tomorrow, and he got the bottom dollar out of me, I hope he buys it!
Treated wood has always worked for me, and believe me I like saving a dollar too! For the 4th? Prolly nothing. Moving our cars likely, last year they were covered with spent fireworks and trash! I heard an ad for a place that gave a "no dud guarantee", how is that? The prices of fireworks in general have me turned away. I sometimes go to public displays, you don't have to break the law to see them either.

Will

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 7:33 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011

Post #8662906

Happy Late, ahem, Belated Birthday Happ!! LOL.

Will, buy fireworks on the 4th, especially later in the day and they will practically give them to you for free. We get alot of good deals by waiting til the last minute. lol

I have a Red Dutch Lily blooming now. Hope I got a pic of it. Have tons of new pics to download but keep forgetting. lol
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8663066

Crit: I am going to look up your lily. It sounds (smells?) heavenly. I think it's a good idea to plant more lilies around the deck. I think I will do that. I have one garden at the bottom of the steps I could plant some in. However, drainage is kind of bad there. I could try. Lilies are pretty tolerant. Has anyone had any experience planting lilies in pots? If so, what do you do with them in the winter?

Any special places you recommend for purchasing Lilies?

Pepper: I am going to look up the Red Dutch Lily too. I rec'd some kind of red lily in a trade this year. I will have to look back and see what I planted! I think it's suppose to multiply.

My high school friend that came to visit is from Okla. She said the weather has been in the 100's. It sounds awful. Even when she waters, the plants are not doing well. When she was here, we had perfect weather: cool temps, breeze, and low humidity.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8663569

birdie, where in OK is your friend from?

I've not planted lilies in pots, but thought about doing that also. I did that with some of my tuberose. I got my lilies from a bulb co-op here on DG this spring. I think I got them from "Touch of Nature" if memory serves me. They have all come up and done very well. I was surprised to get such great blooms this year!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8663660

Happ, was it your b'day? I didn't see it anywhere!

Happy Belated Birthday!
I'm sorry I missed it :o(
Ah, I missed a couple days there. No wonder!

It is hard to line things up. I can't wait to see it! I'm so floored that you will be the one putting it up! I can barely use a screwdriver and pliers, LOL!

Birder, I remember watching Purple Martins when I was a kid. Then they stopped coming, or else no one put up any more houses for them. Dad has two, but the sparrows and blackbirds took over. Maybe that's the problem.

I didn't know allysum was fragrant.

I've been working out too while it's nice. The humidity will rise now, so I'll have to keep to the shade.

The 4th. Absolutely nothing.

Crit, July is our hot month so we are on schedule. The cool dry air sure was welcome. We just have too many mosquitos and I suppose the biting flies will be back too :o(

I think Conca d'or is pretty. It's nice to see a few light colors if the smell is heavy!

Will, you need to find the one mistaking them. It could mean your job. I'll bet it isn't you, but I don't know how you can prove it.

No water sure means a lot of things. The bathroom is one I never thought about.

Laughing, I was thinking about your truck last night and your honesty. It will work out for the best in the end, and bottom dollar is what it's all about. It will save you from having to license it or park it.
That's a nice dainty bloom!

Pepper, thanks, I don't feel so bad now over Happs B'day, LOL!

When DD was little we ran to Missouri for fireworks. My all time favorite was a little hen that ''laid'' about four colored eggs. It was adorable!

I have a ton of pictures downloaded that need to go into folders and also on the external drive.

Crit, the weather turned hot just as I need to move plants :o(

Oh dear, it's 7:45 already.

Have a great day all!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8664000

Awh you all don't worry about my birthday, I sure didn't. In fact I celebrated with some friends last night. We still exchange gifts, went out to dinner and just had a nice time. I got two great picture frames that have a garden theme on them and then 4 cereal bowls and 4 coffee mugs with kellogs logo on them. My kitchen is a mix of advertisements and some antique stuff, so they were great gifts. Oh yeah and she game me 2 ee's I didn't have! Then the other present was a concrete turtle and she had gotten from a craft show so it was made in America, the back is mosiac it is really cool! Love it.

Boy the humidity is a killer! wowzer. I am taking off for a day of vacation and I will still have to get up at 4am to beat the heat to work in the yard...

Crit I have planted lilies in pots and even over wintered them that way. It worked good until last year when a mouse got hungry during the winter and ate every bulb I had in a pot!!! Least I am guessing it was a mouse. None in the yard have ever been bothered, but the potted lilies were in the "fort", I thought being protected from the weather, just not from the mice. That was the only thing they ate. Very disappointed when I figured it out.

I have trumpet lilies and the smell is amazing! The good or bad thing about trumpets is that they spead on their own, but the smell is amazing! If you have a costco close to you (not sure where Jackson, MO is) they sell lilies in big bags in the early spring.

Stay cool everyone.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8664289

I don't think it could mean my job, but who knows what they're thinking. Overall, I think they are okay with my punctuality and work and everything, I'm not a jerk or anything there.
I have to chime in on Jackson's whereabouts! It's going toward Memphis, TN. and the bootheel of MO. on Interstate 55 South of St. Louis. I used to travel down I-55 to Portageville, MO. to visit a friend and Jackson is a nice little city almost there, I had to stop there for gas several times. I remember seeing the big ol' water tower there that says Jackson Bulldogs or Indians or something.
Shorter, it's not far from Cape Girardeau I don't think.
Pepper lives by the Fireworks capitol of the world! I kid my friend that he does! Fireworks World is like a mile away from his house! Good idea, I might do that, thanks Pepper.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, billyp. I don't think it's me either but thats because I'm the one that has the finger pointing at them! Seriously tho, I don't think they are upset about the way things are right now. But, this is keeping things from looking more perfect, which is best for a new hire! I think what it might be is the guy that helps me is going too fast. If he didn't help me tho, I would've already quit, I told him that. Hehe.. on second thought, the toilet doesn't require clean water, but it sounds funnier! I'm all about humor! I'm gonna tell him yet tho, that he needs to be stocking up on drinking water and whatnot.
Will
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8664787

My friend from Okla. lives in Enid. It's really hot there right now. Wheat country. They had a poor crop this year due to drought. I grew up on a farm near Enid. We used to live in Enid, then to Tahlequah, OK. Tahlequah and Tulsa are "greener" than Enid. We almost settled in Jenks.

The HS are an absolute pain. We have had our share of grief with them. We put a "dummy box" near the PM houses and set a trap in it. We have trapped 3 pair (6 total) this year. Last week I saw one on the dummy box and saw one today. After catching 6 HS, my husb. just closed the dummy box. He would bring the PM house down via a pulley, and take out the HS nest. They finally gave up. You have to really be persistent and watchful. But, I have to tell you, the PM are sooo rewarding. They entertain us daily. We sit in our lawn chairs and watch them do their skillful flying and try to count how many we have! They move around so fast, they're hard to count. We "think" we have 20. I am having trouble with Japanese Beetles and Chiggers right now, and I am looking for something that won't kill off the beneficial insects and kill off our birds.

Love the allysum. I hadn't used it much the past couple of years. It is growing out in the heat, sun, and pretty dry and just blooming. I also have it in bright shade near our front door--blooms constantly. I have it amongst NG Impatience. It looks frilly and delicate, but it isn't, and you get the fragrance as a bonus.

Hey, happ--you rec'd some nice gifts. Friends are great.

I guess if one wants to over winter lilies in a pot one must put chicken wire over the top of it. I may try to do this. I never seem to get in on those co-ops. :(

Shorleaf: You nailed my town! Yes, we're about 10 minutes from Cape Girardeau. The Mississippi River is Cape's eastern border. So, we're about 15 miles from the Mississippi. River. We're 2 hours almost straight south of St L. -- right down I 55. The water tank reads: Jackson Indians.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 7:07 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8665025

Birder, also try Mona Lisa. It's a dwarf but the fragrance is outstanding!!! I have one called Statement but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Just as well. I had 3 and am down to 2. It's not multplying either. But it has huge red blooms and the fragrance just is huge!! I get most of my lilies from www.farawayflowers.com. Great bulbs and great service.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011

Post #8665671

billy, usually July and August are our hot months. We had the 2nd hottest June in history (since they started keeping track over 100 years ago). We usually don't have triple diget heat until after June. Our hottest summer had 11 triple diget days (but tons of 99's!). We have already had 5 and 6 more forecast just this week. It is miserable! Broke 102* high Tuesday with 106*. They are comparing western OK with the dust bowl of the 1930's. They are in extreme drought, which is the highest level.

Alyssum has a very light sweet fragrence. I love the smell of it.

happ, I am taking Tuesday off for a 4 day weekend. I will need to start working in the yard at midnight (maybe a slight exageration) then quite when the sun comes up and it gets hot. 102-103* with this humidity is just a killer!

I use to live in Dora, MO (off of Hwy 60 I think it is) near West Plains in Eastern MO.

birdie ... I have a "DG" friend that lives in enid.

I saw the oddest bug on one of my brugs the other day, but didn't have my camera. It was about the size of a ladybug, but it was GOLD. It was the prettiest little thing, I've never seen anything like it.

TGIF! Have a great day everyone, and a long weekend! Be safe this holiday.

If anyone hears of any bulb co-ops, please share with the rest of us!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8665772

I don't know about this time of the year, but towards fall, there will be thousands of very tiny bees around Alyssum.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8666103

Crit: I have seen a DG who's from Enid. I know where West Plains is located. We go near there on 60 when we would return to Enid. My brother was telling me of a Mule Jumping Contest in West Plains over Father's Day. It sounded interesting and entertaining.

Pepper: I checked out the Faraway Flowers site. I couldn't get there from here, so I googled it. I did not recognize some of the catgories. I know there's Asiatic Lilies, Oriental Lilies, and Trumpet Lilies. I also have one that for the life of me, I can not remember what it is. It is suppose to get really tall (5 ft), fragrant and wants full shade. I don't know what "Bergman" is and some of the other categories. I am going to scoot over to the Lily Forum and see what I can learn.

Mona Lisa looks gorgeous. I noted it is hardy to minus 35 or some such. So, would that mean one could leave it out on the deck in a pot if temps don't dip below 0*?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8666583

Cool! I thought I remembered you're town, Jackson, MO., birder! I bet you meant the Mississippi River is to you're East, the Missouri River empties into the Mighty Mississippi River at St. Louis. The Mississippi is a sight to behold, I see why Tom Sawyer loved it! I went to the Mississippi River several times when I'd go that way, neat river, very wide, about like the Missouri River is now!

How about this Echinacea purpurea, (Purple Coneflower), coming from what I thought was a weed before!

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8666933

She used to have Orientals on there but I noticed she doesn't right now. I think the Martagons are similar to tiger lilies but I don't know. lol. I just know I've gotten some good lilies from her. Her stock changes all the time so you have to check back every now and then.

Here is another site. I went to Garden Watchdog and this one has good reviews. I like the look of the site too.
www.thelilygarden.com
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8667004

Wups! You are right, Shortleaf. I meant Mississippi River. It's leaking around the bottom corners of the flood wall. We have so much water. I corrected the original post.
There wasn't any information on the Lily forum. A lot of the forums have info at the beginning with "sticky" on it but nothing on the lily forum. I will check out the other website.
I get rid of coneflowers on a regular basis. I do like them, but man, they re-seed quite a bit. They seem to take care of themselves.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8667479

I made new July 2011 Dry and Hot! forum go there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193888/
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8668157

I'm there !!!!!!! ^_^

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America