Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Silkie with hurt hip, anything we can do?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 10, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 2, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8605066

One of our Silkies must have gotten jumped by a larger roo and it seems her hip or leg where it connects to the hip is out of place, there is a lump on her upper back area and she can't seem to stand. Is there any way we can get this back in place? Not sure what to do.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 2, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8605421

Have you tried pressing on the lump (end of the femur) while you pull the leg straight back? Logically that should reset it unless the muscles are in spasm.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8605794

Best bet would be an Avian Vet, but you may not have access to one, (I don't). If it seems disloated, rather than broken, porkpal has a good plan. If porkpal's suggestion doesn't work at first, I'd seperate her out and let her be for 24 hrs, and try again. Sometimes rest alone can work wonders, and sometimes (at least in mammals) a "false joint" can form, and the critter can get around fairly well. It's a tough call, but I'd give her some time, in case it's just an injury that makes it too painful to try to stand. I'd try to prop her up so she is in a somewhat normal "sitting" position, and keep food and water in beaks reach. You just never know...
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 3, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8605838

She can't seem to stand well, but she sits fairly normal. I'll try porpals suggestion. We did seperate her from the others last night. Poor thing, she's just too pretty to be in pain.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 3, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8605977

She seems to be doing better this morning, maybe the rest overnight helped. She is up and walking so that is a good sign. She did however lay a soft shell egg this morning, maybe from the stress? But from last night to this morning, so far she is much better.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8606094

That's great news. Hope she continues to improve. Please let us know :)
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8606159

Man, if I had to go through that, I'd wouldn't lay anything but a brick! LOL I'm so glad she is doing better.. I was of no help in this one.. sorry!
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 3, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8606542

She is still doing okay, but still has that knot on her hip back area. She seems to be walking okay though my son says she doesn't quite walk like she did before. She has stretched that leg out on her own.

This picture was taken a few months ago.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 3, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8606548

Sorry, that was a back view. They seem to like to turn their backs on you when you take pictures.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 3, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8606701

I'm glad to hear she is doing so much better. Where'd you get the GREEN grass?
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 3, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8606833

lol, we do still have some green grass, shocking I know since it is sooooo dry. If we don't get rain soon though we won't have any anymore.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America