Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Sevin Insect control

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 13, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dwendt
Byron Center, MI

June 3, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8606842

Hello,
I know that there are many reading this are greatly against using chemicals on roses. If, however someone could tell me the dilution ratios for this product..ozs to gallons of water I would be very thankful. The directions have torn out of my plastic bottle.
Thanks!
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8607380

I looked up Sevin and found this PDF file of the label for liquid Sevin Concentrate. There're alot of other sources of info ~ just google.

http://www.bayercropscience.ca/English/LabelMSDS/202/File.ashx
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8608292

Sevin dust kills bees...just saying.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8608525

Hi melvatoo, I'm not a proponent of heavy duty insecticide use but I did purchase some Ortho Rosepride spray for some mini roses that I brought home from the store and found they were sporting whiteflies, spider mites and aphids. They look much better after only one spraying.

As for the Sevin, never used it. I LOVE my bumblebees, although I'm not too crazy for the yellowjackets later in the Fall!

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8608995

My best friend had her husband spray the yard with Sevin. I told them the yard will glow and have a half life. Sevin is my last resort ever. I did resort to insecticidal soap for the mites that were damaging my delphinium and for roses I will spray for blackspot if I have to.

I love the Bayer 3 in one systemic. It feeds and protects without harming any of the beneficial insects.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8610881

I do not have a lot of use for something you can apply to dogs or chickens by hand. It is good for ticks, fleas, and chicken-mites. We have never had a problem from using sevin. Luciee
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 5, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8611236

There has been a rumor circulating for over a year that it was going to be taken off the market. Is it and of so why?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8611444

Porlpal,

If you mean Bayer 3 in 1, it was withdrawn from the market in the U.K in April of 2010. Priorities are very different in different places. Sometimes it involves politics. I keep reading on sites like Wikipedia that it kills bees, but I've been using this product for at least 4 years and I have a billion bees of all kinds. I finally remembers that virtually anyone can write anything on Wikipedia, and that, yes, people have agendas and passions that have nothing to do with science.

I live in a conservation community. I use organics first, if I can, although I avoid commonly suggested ones that are toxic to humans. I think that sensible, careful and minimally used chemicals can be of benefit. If you use them responsibly, and as a last resort, Then I think it's fine. My roses were being decimated by japanese beetles before I used this product. I have hummingbirds (3) who visit daily and sip the nectar from my plants, several kinds of butterflies, praying mantises, katydids and more worms than you can shake a stick at. Pyrethrum, an extract of mums, is natural, coming from a flower, Wikipedia praises it, but it has killed people's pets, especially cats, and if inhaled it can harm you. I t was sold to me in powder form to be used as a dust (think it might be inhaled?) and I threw it out.

It's a complicated world!

dwendt
Byron Center, MI

June 20, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8643686

Just for jnformation purposes, I have a large patch of salvia in the middle of my rose garden. THAT is where tons of bumblebees flourish regardless of the Sevin on roses surrounding them
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 20, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8643822

Good idea!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8644026

Same with my nepeta. It's planted with many of my roses. Bee magnet every year.
dwendt
Byron Center, MI

June 25, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8653557

Porkpal,
You are so kind! You gave me a lot of help last year (if you remember) with RRD. I believe I am a very green person and am very concerned about manmade problems hurting our earth. However the proverbial saying "don't throw the baby out with the bath water" speaks to another concern that I have, and that is, there is a place for reasonable thinking in our efforts to correct our behavior. All I can say is that with work, I'm a very time occupied. There are some distinct benefits to observe the "good" things that technology has afforded us. I, for one, simply don't have a choice but to use something that works easily and quickly because I JUST ABSOLUELY LOVE MY ROSES! :-) Thanks again for your kindness. I'll step off my soapbox now. lol
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8653829

Dwendt,

No, stay on that soapbox. I agree with you! There is a place for reasonable thinking. Well said.
dwendt
Byron Center, MI

June 27, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8657477

Thank you Donna!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America