Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: mulch w compost and/or shredded leaves?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8607884

I have quite a bit of both finished compost and shredded leaves. The compost is homemade from our own hot piles, from garden trimmings, weeds, kitchen scraps, plus shredded leaves. The shredded leaves are our own tree leaves, mostly oak, which we shredded last fall [with our Troy chipper/shredder]. In the past, I've used my finished compost at planting time, and used the shredded leaves as mulch. Now I am wondering if I might mulch with 2 or 3 inches of compost, AND then top that off with another 2 or 3 inches of shredded leaves.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8610402

EllaTiarella - personally, I wouldn't put them on that deep. A one to two inch layer is best. If you put a deeper layer, the stems of your plants will tend to rot.

Regarding your Troy chipper/shredder -- do you like it? We have two piles of small twigs, plus access to more in the woods behind our house. I would like to purchase a chipper, but am not sure what to look for.

Thanks.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8616155

FYI,

I read on some tomato gardeners' site that research has shown that tomatoes grown in Oak Leaf Mould are the very best ever!

Sounds promising for you (if you are growing tomatoes).

I hope you give us a report this August!
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8617273

I love the Troy chipper-shredder very much. I was terribly excited when we bought it; it was a real indulgence for us. However, I caution you that we bought it in the 1990s before the company was acquired by MDT. I was told MDT immediately cheapened the Troy product line, so I am not sure the Troy-Bilt quality is the same as it once was. Ours is 5.5 HP, if I remember correctly. I can just barely wheel it out of the garage, it's that heavy. It has a chipper on the side which can handle branches up to about 2", but we don't use it much for that. Branches 3/4" or smaller can just go into the hopper at the top if they are dry and breakable.

We live on a lot in a suburb, size 0.42 acres. But when we moved here in 1991, we had quite a few mature trees on our lot, and upwind on neighbor's lots, so we had tons of leaves, and we shredded all of them. [We have lost a considerable portion of our trees due to wind damage and so on.] [If you ever buy property that has mature trees, don't assume they are healthy. Many of ours were not, it turned out.] One of the first things I did the year we acquired the shredder was put a 6-inch layer of leaves all over the poor-quality grass in a big shady area, which killed the grass and thus created a space for a shade garden. I've done that a couple more times thru the years: convert grass to garden via piling 6" or more of shredded leaves in the fall. Other than that, we use the shredded leaves as mulch, and as the "brown layers" in the compost piles.

Tomatoes? Not any more, DH is giving up. I won't let him put tomatoes in the sunniest part of the yard, which is my sunny-flower-garden area, fairly visible from house & patio. [It became sunny after death of a tree a few yrs ago.] The one spot in a far back corner where he grew tomatoes for a few years is semi-shady and also has a juglone problem, plus it is a fair distance to lug watering cans. He informed me this spring that he is not doing tomatoes "ever again".

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8617531

EllaTiarella - thank you for the information regarding the Troy shredder.

When we lived in South Florida we had a big 8 h.p. "horse" Troy rototiller and loved it. We now own a Troy Bilt mower and it does an amazing job of shredding leaves and small sticks.

I did not know the Company had changed hands - perhaps this answers a dilema I had when purchasing a Troy Bilt weed eater. We could not get it to start - called the Company, followed their directions but it still would not start. Asked our neighbor for help who was employed as a Landscaper at the time, and he couldn't start it. So we returned it and exchanged it for another one. That one would not start either, so we gave up.

I'll check with Lowe's to see if they carry the wood chipper - if I buy one from them and it doesn't work, I know they will take it back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America