ID needed

(Zone 9a)

Don't you just love it when you find something pretty and there is no label or anyone in the nursery who might know what it is?

This jumped into my cart the other day and I would love to know what it is. Thanks, alice

Thumbnail by ardesia
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Reminds me of hatacaoa var. meisnerii

http://www.begonias.org/events/2006%20Miami%20pictures/2006miamigallery.htm

(Zone 9a)

It does resemble that one however, mine has red on the reverse of the leaves - if that makes any difference. I did read where the hatacoa can change it's coloration depending on the light and temperature conditions.

Do you know anything about the growing needs for this one?

Thumbnail by ardesia
Rochester, NY(Zone 5b)

Ardesia, glad you posted, I have the same "unidentified" plant, red undersides too. It also jumped into my cart. Mine is about to flower. It's funny how the same plant shows up in local nurseries around the country the same year, all "unidentified"!

(Zone 9a)

LOL, sure is funny. Please post a picture when yours flowers.

Time will tell what it is. If it still goes un-ID'ed then name it what you like.

Rochester, NY(Zone 5b)

I will post a pic as soon as it flowers. If we still can't ID it, ardesia and I will come up with a name for it!

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

I believe it's B. U604 a newer release grown & distributed by Harmony Growers in Florida.
I picked mine up in San Francisco at the ABS convention.

There's no info about it in the new ABS book on Unidentified Species. The book only goes to U603.

(Zone 9a)

Thanks, LOL, this baby needs a name!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Wouldn't you know it? I followed your link, Butch and the first one that caught my eye and would love to have is this:

http://www.begonias.org/events/2006%20Miami%20pictures/2006%20Miami%20Images/2006miami16.jpg

Do you know what it is?

That would be 'Lady Alma Crawford'.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.