Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Beginner Question - Aphids?

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Are these aphids? If not, are they harmful? Should I spray something?

Thanks!
Jeannie

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Those little webs suggest spider mites. I would spray with an insecticidal soap or a rose care product. Insecticidal soap is easy to make if you don't have a prepared product. Just mix one teaspoon of dish detergent in a gallon of water.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow - I did not even notice the webs! I will try the soap. Thanks!

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

No problem! Those little specks at the base of the bud look like they might be aphids. You probably have both. I am plagued by both of them in early to mid-spring unless I treat/spray. The soap will work on the aphids too. Go git 'em ;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I had the same critters on my new mini roses. I bought some Ortho Rosepride spray and one dose cleared it up.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I should be able to treat the infected plant tonight. I also have three other rose bushes nearby. Should I also treat them, even though I have not witnessed any infestation?

Pocono Mountains, PA(Zone 6a)

The green things are definitely aphids. Ick. I hate those little sap suckers. I wash them off with soapy water and a paper towel before spraying.

Severna Park, MD(Zone 7a)

The slightly out-of-focus insects at the base of the rose bud are aphids. Aphids grow quite rapidly and, in the manner of snakes and caterpillars, must shed their skins a few times in their development. That is what the 'white' creatures on the bud are...the skin that has been shed. A high pressure spray from a garden hose (not as strong as a pressure washer) will take care of the problem if done a couple of times a week. The water spraying will also help against spider mites.

Bob

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the information, Bob. Good to know!

I haven't seen any more aphids since I sprayed them a few weeks ago.

Austin, TX

Those webs don't look like spider mite webs. The green things are aphids. The white things are the shed skins of aphids.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.