Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: Will my old swimming pool make a good bog?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 2, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kudrick
Fallston, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8612407

About 6 years ago I turned an old swimming pool into a fish pond. Unfortunately, the liner tore last spring and all the fish were lost. The pool now has about 1 foot of water and several hundred frogs happily living there. There is a mucky accumulation of leaves and detritus on the bottom and I'm thinking it might make a good bog. My 4 bogs are being overrun with plants such as ribbon grass, lizard's tail and creeping jenny. Does anyone know if these plants will live in the pool, without having to add any type of soil?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8612834

I grow just about everything in water...with tadpoles. Even things that shouldn't really survive in just water (like hosta) thrive. I think the tadpole "manure" is just enough to keep the plants healthy. They also eat off any decaying roots and leaves, which normally would pollute the water, and keep it crystal clear. I have umbrella palm, canna, hosta, lotus, and elephant ears growing that way. I'm sure you will have no problem at all, especially if you're already ahead with a sediment layer accumulating on the bottom.
kudrick
Fallston, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8613274

Wow! I have more hostas than I can dig up and move; i think i'll try some in the pool.
thanks!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America