Insurance with HSA - Health Savings Account

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I couldn't figure out where to post this. Does anyone use a health insurance with a HSA? I am trying to figure out if that is the way I should go at work.

Thanks, Loretta

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I have a Health Spending Account with my insurance. Mine covers things like:

*prescriptions - the copay after the insurance coverse

*blood work & other testing - again, copay after

*surgery and hospital stays - if you *know* something major is coming up, like an elective surgery, you can use the HSA to cover the balance after insurance

The HSA money comes out of your paycheck BEFORE taxes!! That's the best part! You don't pay Federal or State tax on the HSA monies! There is a maximum % of your annual income you can set aside, I don't know what that amount is.

So if you're always super healthy, and don't ever see a doctor, ;-), the HSA may not be for you. If your employer offers the coverage, and you have any pre-existing conditions, this is the *best* program ever, IMO.

HSA's used to cover OTTC medicines like Tylenol or Prilosec, things like that. I don't think those are covered anymore. Used to be, you could buy them, and submit the receipts for payback. Now, I think the doctor has to actually write a prescription for them, and you submit that as well as the receipts. I don't know, I don't use mine for those things.

More questions? Ask away!!

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks AngelSong - I appreciate the info.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am just getting ready to start our new plan with one of these. Recommended for plans that have high deductables

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images