-
AuthorContent
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8613731

We have a steel post about 5' high and 6" in diameter at one end of our veggie garden. It used to support an enormous satellite dish there when we bought the property. We removed the dish 'cause it was blocking light but the post is sunk into a pretty solid concrete footing. We've gardened around it for years. This year I decided to incorporate it. We made a tent/teepee "skirt" around the post with long sticks from the woods. I planted Grandpa Ott's morning glories around the base. They came up like crazy so I decided to take it a step further and cover the sticks in mesh fencing to make a solid planting. Then I went about making a head. She is a beach ball, scrap sheeting and a few other scrap fabrics. The lips are shiny polyester shoulder pads from another era. I hand sewed the lips and machine appliqued the rest. She needs big hair ribbons. I found some yellow dye to color her pigtails. I'm undecided as to whether mount her head directly above the skirt, in abstraction, or to make an upper torso with clothes. I'm inclined to leave her a head with a living skirt.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8613867

What a cute idea!
J2222
Southern California, CA

June 6, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8613965

Head on skirt should be fine. Very cute.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8614035

Thanks to you both. I'll keep you posted.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8616054

She went blonde today but is a little bashful...

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8616061

She's wanting for a figure and some clothes. I'll try to mount her in the next few days.

lizzieshome
Grapeland, TX

June 8, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8617243

she is a cutie pie!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8626573

Thanks, Lizzie. I got her mounted today. The morning glories are beginning to fill in her skirt. Three bloomed today and the blooms stayed open until 1:30 p.m.. The color of the Grandpa Ott's morning glories is a rich velvety purple. Can't wait to see her covered in flowers. I think she's in the perfect spot.

lizzieshome
Grapeland, TX

June 13, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8627947

my morning glories didn't come back this year. i guess our extended freeze got them. I didn't know until about a month ago that morning glories seeds are hallucinogenic. I learn something new every day!

your scarecrow is looking great.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8628065

She will be so pretty when her 'clothes' bloom☺
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8706979

Her clothes have really filled out. There are days when there are only a few flowers on her dress and days where there are dozens. I made her some gardening hands and gave her a rake. Her 'purse' is a hummingbird feeder. The hummers enjoy her dress and her purse. I sent the photo to DD and she says our garden girl looks like Bubbles from the Power Puff Girl cartoons. So, now we call her Bubbles.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8706981

The previous photo was over a week ago and this one is five days old. We come and go from our garden in the country so I'm often behind with posting photos. Her dress is developing a hoodie. lol

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8707113

She sure is filling in nicely, and I like her purse!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8707138

Thanks Juney. Bubbles looks more bare on the bottom in photos than in person. I don't notice the green garden fence at all. However, she is blooming more at the top. I was wondering if morning glories benefit from being pinched? Regarding her purse...the hummers are there all day. I've got a green ones, a black and red ones (I thing that is a ruby throated) and yellow. The green ones will feed while I am watering within just a few feet of them. Not shy at all. The others are not seen as often. I need to get the camera and stand there in the morning.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8707154

Maybe she needs a pair of cowboy or gardening boots to 'anchor' her? That would 'take the eye away' from the bareness of the lower vines. The thrift stores always seem to have boots in the summer☺
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8707238

Ohh, I like that idea. Or maybe she could have some Crocs. Those could last a few years. Thanks JuneyB.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #8998638

Cute!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9000433

Her head has been stored for the winter but I tell people she's gone on a cruise.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9001556

Wondering if she'll return from that cruise with a tan? Or maybe some carribean clothing? Or a sombrero?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9005287

She's very blond and must wear fifty sun screen. Seriously though, she ended up being quite bushy at the base by Fall. Instead of the vines thinning out, seedlings kept emerging and growing over the old vines. I'm sure it will be even better this coming year because the seed is on the ground and will hopefully continue sprouting at staggered times. I saved seed as well just in case.

She lives at Maypop garden which is on the property where our cottage is located. DD will be marrying this summer and we are hosting several affairs throughout the weekend, including an open house at the cottage. She should look perfect for the occasion. I may need to make her a bridesmaid's bouquet.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9530624

What ever happened? You left off the "rest of the story", don't keep us hanging!!! She was so cute!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Highland Rim of TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2013
2:45 AM

Post #9530717

I agree. :)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9531569

Which rest of story are you referring to, Jam? Bubbles or the wedding? Bubbles must have spent the winter on a German barge cruise 'cause she came back very pale. After some "serious work", as my girlfriends say, aka a total face lift, major cosmetic enhancement and hair re-styling, she looked mahvahlous! Her purse was refilled for the hummingbirds, gloves re-stuffed and the skirt began sprouting new morning glories aplenty.

DD and her SO requested a religious but non-event ceremony with a hoedown/shindig followup. A wedding at the Ritz would have been less complicated. They were married in Atlanta, in our synagogue chapel, four weeks after we hosted a RU. You can see Bubbles one month prenuptial on this youtube. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267535/ The private ceremony took place on a Thursday morning. The chapel has a rustic, post and beam construction with vaulted glass walls and sits high on a hill looking out across woods. It was a beautiful morning wedding in a treehouse. Only family and close friends participated. We celebrated with a four hour luncheon by the river at a restaurant that has catered many of our family affairs. http://www.canoeatl.com/

The next day, Friday, we sojourned to Maypop cottage. Guests began arriving in the N. GA mountains from all over the U.S. and beyond. We reserved all the cabins and cottages at Smithgall Woods [HYPERLINK@plus.google.com] for family, including a cabin for the honeymooners, on both sides. The over five thousand acre angler's paradise and naturalist preserve became our private party venue for the weekend. Non-family guests stayed in cabins, cottages and B&Bs nearby but were able to enjoy the Smithgall retreat 'cause we had the gate code. Several outdoor intensive guests camped at a neighboring state park after meeting on Facebook for the first time. DD connected the wanna camp crew. I catered. That evening we had a southern style BBQ at Smithgall...Brunswick stew (both smoked chicken and vegetarian), cornbread and blackstrap molasses, make your own smoked brisket sandwiches with Maypop BBQ sauce and lots of fixin's. Pickled shrimp and veggies in giant canning jars, big pretzel sticks and homemade pimento cheese and honey hot nuts were served for bar snacks. We collected lots of southern beers and wines prior to the event for this dinner. The only food I didn't personally make were ten fresh fruit pies which were made at a specialty shop here in Atlanta; peach, mixed berry and apple. We have all sorts of resident musician friends and family. Lots of music in different corners. Someone brought a toss game called "cornhole". People sat in rockers and enjoyed the views.

Friday was a great evening but the big party was Saturday night with a new and more upscale menu, a contra dance with caller and music provided by the Georgia Mudcats. http://guitarauction.com/mudcatshtml/bookings.htm We rented out the local community hall, on a historic property, http://www.snca.org/rentals/communityhall.html and decked the place out. DD is an architectural historic preservationist by profession and an American folk culture and architectural expert by education. That's why she was bent on this unusual wedding direction. Anyway, we lined the front porch of the community center with lots of string lights and hanging flower baskets I had started earlier in the season. It was magic! I had spent the previous six months piecing fabric table toppers from a near century of family fabrics to be joined into a wedding quilt at a later date. That's another story. The remaining table attire was gifted by a friend in the business. I did flower arrangements in mason jars filled with melted glass beads. The party went to the wee hours. There was plenty of hired help. Though it was an amazing experience, I still can't recommend catering your own child's wedding. I was exhausted but not finished.

Sunday morning guests were invited to join us at Maypop for an extensive brunch. By then some needed to get on the road home while some needed to get to Atlanta for flights. Others came over to eat a little more and visit or stroll through our wooded paths and around the pond. Bubbles graciously greeted guests in the kitchen garden looking her usual gorgeous self. Okay, you asked for a story, not a five word response, right?

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9531832

I love it!!! Thanks for a wonderful follow up, just simply, BEAUTIFUL!!! Jami

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9533125

HOLY cow Laurel! That was some Shindig!!! Thanks for all the info and links, what a fabulous event. I've seen our tablecloths soon to be finished quilt, it is coming along beautifully!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9533901

Jean, the notion of the wedding quilt being done soon demonstrates you are a person of great faith. :) I'm still trying to get the final touches on the naming quilt. For those following this thread, and as the quilting forum folks already know, DD and SIL announced a pending arrival, due in late June, with an ultrasound posted on their refrigerator during last Thanksgiving's visit. I was hand quilting away on the wedding quilt when the need for a baby naming quilt became apparent. Pretty tricky. Not only did I cater her stew to boiled peanuts wedding but she's expecting my assistance in the birthing. You see, I'm a R.N. maternal child clinician.

Aside from a heavy duty planting day here at Maypop garden, we are preparing for a small RU in two weeks. Bubbles has returned home for the summer but is currently engaged in doctor's appointments. I'll try to post photos soon. Her Spring wardrobe is coming together nicely. Baby is due on the 20th but signs indicate a slightly earlier arrival. I am on call.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9534075

Be nice to have somebody in the family in the "know" at a birth! Lucky her.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9534518

I'd have to be able to get up there before or be mighty fast to get a ticket. We shall see.

Meanwhile I am on the run working in the kitchen garden. Almost done with the summer veggies while we are just beginning to enjoy some of the spring veggies. Woke up this morning pretty seized up and wondering what happened. Then I remembered...it's gardening season!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9534713

P.S. Pat, forgive me for mixing you up with Jean. I had been reading a post from Jean on another forum before responding.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America