Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: growing pineapple crown

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 3, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nickb90
Saint Paul, MN

June 6, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8614489

I just planted a pineapple crown from a grocery store pineapple. Most of the leaves have already turned brown but some still have some green left in them. Is it common for the leaves to brown after planting or is it likely that my pineapple has already died?

Any help on pineapple growing is very appreciated!!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8616154

Hi, nickb90! Yes, it is the usual situation for some portion of the pineapple crown to turn brown, especially the leaves closest to the soil. I truly just plop the crowns into the sandy soil of my garden and basically forget about them. I sometimes notice over the ensuing weeks that they brown out on leaf tips and lower leaves, but as long as there is still some green showing, there is a good chance that the pineapple is establishing a root system and will rebound with fresh new growth within a few months.

Most of my pineapple plants were lost in severely cold winters we had for the past two years (low 20s F for sustained periods for up to two weeks - weird weather for northeast Florida). I've started a few new plants from pineapples I've bought at the grocery store.

The pineapple that seems to be the most cold hardy is a red-leaved pineapple plant (which is different from a "red pineapple"). It has come through the severe winters with minimal damage, but it has never made a flower or fruit. I haven't thus far been able to find a botanical name for the species.

Enjoy!

Jeremy
nickb90
Saint Paul, MN

June 7, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8616869

Thanks for the information Jeremy!

Maybe I will also try to find and plant a red-leaved pineapple plant as well and see how that turns out.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8643199

Wal-Mart currently has pineapple fruit on sale for $2 here, so I am restocking my pineapple plantation with severed crowns from eaten fruit!

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America