Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: grapes in the Rocky Mountains

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geneso
Seattle, WA

June 7, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8615097

Hello,

I have steel fences with an open view of the east in the area surrounding my gardens which are drip irrigated. I want to grow seedless table grapes, both Himrod and Reliance on these fences. I have received misinformation since moving here about growing grapes in this area. We are at 6,500 feet, alkaline clay soil, about 7.5 and I will amend this soil, even to t he point of replacing it so that the 318 days of full sun and drip irrigation will be positive force in attaining good growth for my grapes.

I need about 2 dozen plants that will be adaptable to the zone 5 area I am now living in. I would appreciate any advice I could get from experienced grape growers in the Rocky Mountain region, especially those who are growing table grapes. To begin with, whose plants do I want to order?

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Gene So

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8745712

For red grapes, Reliance is a good choice, so is Canadice. Canadice was my daughter's favorite of the grapes my parents were growing in Canon City, so that is what I am growing in Pueblo West (chalky alkaline clay). I haven't got many grapes yet (birds beat me to them last year, then it was set back by an unusually cold winter & spring this year)
For blue grapes, Seedless Concord has that classic grape jelly/juice flavor, my parents grow it successfully in Canon City in a very hot fairly dry location. Plant Select recommended "Saint Teresa" is supposed to be similar but with even more cold Hardiness.
I'm trying Himrod myself - after doing some research, I thought it sounded like the best white (forget why, probably taste).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America