Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: grapes in the Rocky Mountains

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geneso
Seattle, WA

June 7, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8615097

Hello,

I have steel fences with an open view of the east in the area surrounding my gardens which are drip irrigated. I want to grow seedless table grapes, both Himrod and Reliance on these fences. I have received misinformation since moving here about growing grapes in this area. We are at 6,500 feet, alkaline clay soil, about 7.5 and I will amend this soil, even to t he point of replacing it so that the 318 days of full sun and drip irrigation will be positive force in attaining good growth for my grapes.

I need about 2 dozen plants that will be adaptable to the zone 5 area I am now living in. I would appreciate any advice I could get from experienced grape growers in the Rocky Mountain region, especially those who are growing table grapes. To begin with, whose plants do I want to order?

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Gene So

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8745712

For red grapes, Reliance is a good choice, so is Canadice. Canadice was my daughter's favorite of the grapes my parents were growing in Canon City, so that is what I am growing in Pueblo West (chalky alkaline clay). I haven't got many grapes yet (birds beat me to them last year, then it was set back by an unusually cold winter & spring this year)
For blue grapes, Seedless Concord has that classic grape jelly/juice flavor, my parents grow it successfully in Canon City in a very hot fairly dry location. Plant Select recommended "Saint Teresa" is supposed to be similar but with even more cold Hardiness.
I'm trying Himrod myself - after doing some research, I thought it sounded like the best white (forget why, probably taste).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America