Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: What to do with habanero peppers?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8615177

For whatever reason, I planted 4 habanero pepper bushes this year. Now, I'm overflowing with these golden gems. And these little gems are H O T !!! And I have no idea what to do with them. 2 years ago, I made Habanero Gold Pepper Jelly, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1021461/. I made so much of it, that I still have 4 jars left. I think I'll have my DH bring these jars to work & give them away (as long as I get the jars back). I'll make some more of these, but I'll still have a lot of peppers left.

I'm trying to dry some now, so I can crush them up & use them for seasonings. Does anyone have any other ideas about how to use these super hot peppers?
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8616950

Maybe infuse them into some vinegar?

If you have access to a small smoker (electric is good for this) try drying them in pecan smoke. Lowest possible temp with plenty of airflow. You don't want to cook them. Prep them by cutting just the tops off or slitting them once with a knife. Put them in a metal collander or similar vegetable grilling bowl with holes. Or on a perforated pizza pan. Roll or toss them around a coupla times while drying them. Smoke them till the become leathery. Take half out. Continue drying (you may only need the pecan flavor wood for the first few hours - again, experiment) until the remaining half are getting brittle and fully dried.. (They get a little more brittle after cooling.) Freeze or refrigerate the leathery ones whole. After they cool, coarse grind the brittle ones. This way , you have some you can toss one-at-a-time into soups, stews, chili and remove whole if you want. The ground ones can be sprinkled, used in rubs or otherwise used as pepper flakes. You have just made 'chipotle' but with hotter peppers.

I shouldn't have to tell you to handle with caution and use gloves where appropriate.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2011 9:49 AM
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8779983

I have a recipe that puts several habanero's in a jar, cover with tequila and let sit about six weeks. Strain and use the liquid as a marinade for bbq chicken and smash the peppers and use to baste. We've tried it and it's very good.

Edited to say I also smoke them like Texan does but think I used mesquite chips. Also I've just let them dry on the counter. And this recipe is awesome. Just a splash in a bloody mary gives a good punch.

- - -

Bobís Habenero Hot Sauce
From All Recipes.com
Submitted by R. B. Miller
Modified slightly (adjusted mustard and added more garlic, roasted) due to feedback from others

Using fewer habanero peppers can reduce the spiciness in this extremely hot habanero hot sauce. The sauce works wonders as a pick-up for Bloody Mary drinks. Flavors meld wonderfully and the sauce keeps nicely for a long time.: A dash is all you need.

INGREDIENTS:
12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped (leave some seeds for heat)
1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy syrup
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/8 cup yellow mustard (can omit the mustard altogether)
dash of liquid smoke
10 cloves of roasted garlic
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

DIRECTIONS:

Place the peppers, peaches, molasses, mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar into the container of a food processor or blender. Measure in the salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, coriander, ginger and allspice. Blend until liquefied. Pour into clean jars, and refrigerate overnight before using.

Some Reviews:

Good Stuff! I also added about 10 or so cloves of roasted garlic. Then I took half the batch and put it in a sauce pan. Heated it up and added a little cornstarch and peach juice together to thicken it. Awesome stuff on hamburgers. Really tasty and doesn't kill your taste buds! I have both thick and thin sauce to cover any foods you want to add a little kick to! Thanks for the post.
- - -
I have made this sauce three times and like it each time. The first time I made this, the mustard taste was too strong. The second time I made it, I omitted the mustard and added a little liquid smoke, delicious! The third time I added a few peppers with seeds to give it more heat (I like it hot) with the liquid smoke and no mustard. It came out great!
- - -
Very good, but can really taste the mustard. I used French's yellow mustard, and that flavor is strong. I also used 7 habaneros w/ seeds and it has a nice heat to it that warms your whole mouth. Otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. Very good, but maybe will modify the amount mustard the next time. ***I just made another batch using only 1/8 cup mustard, 3 cloves garlic, dash of liquid smoke, 8 habs w/ seed. I didn't pre cook peppers, I placed everything into the food processor and liquified, then cooked for about 10 minutes. This is too die for! I am baking fries right now to dip in it! I am thinking this is my new JERK sauce!

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 2:47 PM

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

October 3, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8833942

I'm trying this hot sauce sans mustard, too. Since I have them, I will probably use mangoes instead of peaches. I will report back.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8839358

MaryMcP, I'm going to try Bobís Habenero Hot Sauce today.

I wonder if this can be processed in a canner?
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8839393

I don't see why not but then I'm not a very experienced canner. It does have a long shelf life in the fridge. I'm going to make a fresh batch too. I liked one person's comment that it's their new jerk sauce. Want to try that with turkey.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8868016

try it in chicken curry (west indian). the scorching heat is great with curry. to reduce the heat factor, put the pepper in the pot whole or cut into halves instead of dicing. you can also remove the core and use just the flesh for the flavor of the fruit itself.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America