Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Quarantine ?

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Debop
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8616072

In the last week I've brought 14 new AVs into my home from Bluebird Greenhouse and a DG 's member. I've check them over and they all look extremely healthy. They've been in separate rooms from the beginning but i wonder how soon I can put them together?
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8616102

.You should keep them separated for a few months at least. However, I am pretty sure I know who the DG member was and I am sure her plants are just fine. I have never heard anything negative about Bluebird. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I placed 3 consecutive orders from a vendor and put them together. I didn't see any reason to separate so I had a mess because the last order had mites. More tears than anything because I didn't have any chemicals to kill them and I had to throw them all away.

Connie
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

June 7, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8616196

How dreadful Connie! It would only take one incident like that to adhere to strict isolation. Sounds like you gave good advice.
Debop
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8616343

Connie- Thanks for passing on your hard earned knowledge. My AVs will stay right where they are :). I went from 2 plants to 19 plants in just 2 weeks so I need to let things settle down anyway.
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8616438

I have found that, while not getting rid of mites and thrips, Neem Oil can be a wonderful and (almost) non-toxic way to control a small outbreak of aphids, mealy bugs or even mildew. I tend to (aside from quarantine and visual inspection) give plants that appear iffy or have a few blind passengers on board a good spray of Neem before putting them into a sweater box or similar enclosure for quarantine.

If you don't mind "chemical warfare", you can always apply some granules of Orthene or a similar systemic insecticide to the soil (follow instructions). That should get rid of almost everything.

I have to say that I have been quite successful with Neem and other less or non-toxic remedies and I prefer to keep it that way.

If you have healthy plants and keep your growing area clean and follow simple preventive measures like quarantine, chances are that you will never need the harsher chemicals.

Good growing!

Olaf
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8618083

Neem oil also has some effect on mites,though it may not totally erradicate them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America