Photo by Melody

Cameras and Photography: Flowers-up-close.

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 16, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8616085

I am not a Photographer, But I just want to take pictures of flowers. What is a good camera for taking close-ups of flowers. Most of the time mine come out blurry, not sure what I'm doing wrong so I take 3 or 4 and one comes out OK. I am a beginner, I wanted a "Point & Shoot" but ended up with a Kodak digital camera(c142) OK for a beginner, got it on eBay for 25.00. This camera is to practice on, I have no idea what I am doing!
timmijo
Ellendale, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8622181

Just some VERY basic answers:

1. Make sure your zoom is all the way in (back to regular, or NOT zoomed).
2. Make sure you have selected MACRO (most digital cameras have a macro setting).
3. Check your focus setting. There should be a selection on your camera. You can change it from focusing on multi-points (which is fine for macro shooting) or you can tell the camera to focus on a smaller spot in the center of what you see in the viewfinder.
4. Hold VERY still when you are trying to take a photo.
5. Press your shutter down HALFWAY to give your camera time to figure out what it wants to focus on. There should be a display in your viewfinder that indicates focus points.
6.Press your shutter down ALL the way to take the picture.

It is not unusual to have to take MANY pictures to get one REAL good shot in digital photography, especially when you are still learning.

My advice is to read the manual and get very familiar with your camera. It involves time and practice, but it is time well spent.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8622787

OK, This is good to know. At least I'm not the only one taking many pictures to get a good one. Nice to know this is normal. I can't find MACRO. :( Cheep camera. I did find Burst, whatever that is, right?
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8622822

The macro setting is frequently a flower icon located on a dial on the top of your camera. Do you have the "flower"? Check out the following link for a photo of this icon, and also some tips on using the macro setting with a point and shoot camera. http://smallobjectphotography.blogspot.com/2011/01/quick-tip-using-your-macro-setting.html

One of the wonderful things about digital photography (vs. film), is you can take tons and tons and TONS of pictures, and simply delete those you don't like :-). I know that's what I do all the time, and I'm positive that the thousands of photos and experimenting with various angles, settings, etc. has helped my photographic skills improve immensely...and it's still an ongoing process.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8622942

Thanks for the link! That clears things up a lot for me . You are right about the digital photography. I love the volume of pictures and I love having the ability to press a button and get rid of the bad ones instantly. We can move on to other things, no wasted film, no wasted money having to get it developed, no harm done! I can actually afford to practice and I will. :)
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8623042

Have fun! :-)

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8634332

In case you didn't get a manual with your camera, there is one here: http://resources.kodak.com/support/pdf/en/manuals/urg01114/C142_xUG_GLB_en.pdf

Page 10 tells you how to get to the macro (flower) mode. It is in the scenes (SCN).

There is also a close-up mode and I'm not sure what the difference is. I think I would experiment with both of them and see which one gives the best results.

That sounds like a nice camera for $25. Great deal!

Patti
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 16, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8634365

You may not be able to attatch your camera to a tripod, like a bridge camera or DSLR, but try to figure out a way to do it. Rubber bands,velcro tape... anything. Learning is easier when you can eliminate variables. Eliminating camera shake is huge step towards getting the nice pictures you want. Get your camera to mount on a tripod somehow and then learn how to take pictures using the time delay, so you aren't moving your camera when you press the shutter release.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8634657

Thanks a lot for the link Patti, sounds great ! I've been wondering about how to get one, there was a small booklet in the box which helped none. Yes, it looks like all 64 pages are printing ! Yea, I've got a real book. :)

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8634664

Thank you Niceguy2 , I am checking on a tripod via eBay! Also I read something about a clamp that will hold the flower still as well, because they shake a little too.(wind) Let me know if you know what the thing is called.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8634672

What do you think of this thing ?

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8634894

I have heard a lot of good reviews on the gorilla pods. I don't have one, but I want to get one for my smaller camera. I also want one of the clamps that you are talking about. I've seen some called Plamps and have heard that they are very good.

Glad you were able to print out the manual. I still carry my manual around in my camera bag. No matter how many times I read it, I always have to look something up.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8635580

Thats great! Thanks for the good advise. I'm so glad to get a manual and plan to do a lot of reading, I think it will lower my stress level. There's just so much I couldn't figure out and I did get a good deal on a camera off eBay, but when you are just starting out with your own camera I really think the manual is more important than the price. :)
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 17, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8635786

The gorilla pods work OK, but it is too short for garden photography. It's only 6-1/2" tall. I think a regular size tripod will better serve you. I don't know what price range you are looking at, but if you can find a tripod with a "ball head" that would be great.

About the other clamp for the flower. You said in your first post that your pictures are blurry. You also said that you are a beginner, and you have no idea what you are doing. That's not a problem, but I think you will be better off with knowledge about how to take pictures rather than equipment to take pictures.

Here's two bits of knowledge. First the best light for taking these kind of pictures is in the early morning when the wind usually isn't much of a problem. Second you can stop the movement of objects, flowers in your case, with the ISO settings of you camera. I would skip the clamp and put the money towards a tripod.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8636848

I hear you ! Sounds good to me, Now that I have a manual I should be able to figure the ISO settings (hopefully.) OK, so I will look for a tripod with a "ball head" Regular size, If I can't afford a new one there is always a market for used equipment, I will check there too. Thanks for the advice, I will post another picture if I find something promising. :)

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8638890

OK, I found several at a good price and new at that, none actually say 'ball head', one is actually for a C142 looks promising , has good price tag and reasonable shipping.

This is a buy now on eBay for 9.95.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 18, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8638911

That will work fine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America