Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: NC animal hording case...

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 43, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8618032

Hi everyone-
Just posting this to people who live near Charlotte, NC...There is a waterfowl rescue organization here in town that just received almost 200 bird from an animal hording case near Raleigh, NC. They need some help with getting all these animals adopted out to forever homes. I am just posting this in hopes of getting some additional people near by to step up to the plate.

Here are some links to the story.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9692678/
http://www2.nbc17.com/news/wake-county/2011/jun/07/nearly-300-seized-animals-are-doing-ok-ar-1100507/

Here is a link to the Web site for adoptions.
http://www.carolinawaterfowlrescue.com/

I am going to take a few home this week, but with so many how do I decide which ones... :(

My coop space is what is holding me back from taking very many. They tell me domestic ducks need to have protection at night. I also have snapping turtles in the pond out here so I can't take little ones either.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 8, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8618073

Just a quick question. I agree there was poor conditions & care of these animals, but I saw nothing in either article that mentioned "hording". Where did that come from ?
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8618089

That was how it was explained to me when I was talking to folks down at the center. I saw first hand the birds that they rescued and they were in rough shape. There all very dirty and would not go near the water available there. I saw several large geese that had broken wings. Many ducks with broken wings and legs(or limping). Just a very sad case of having more birds than you can manage. The humane society is the one that did most of the rescue of the animals so I am getting some of the info 3rd and 4th hand.

Here is the facebook page for them...they have some other info there.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Carolina-Waterfowl-Rescue/130491590062
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8618101

I appreciate your efforts to help out... I will share that page.. even though I'm in CA, not all my friends are. Good luck with your rescues.. and don't take more than you can handle!! :) It is easy to get in over your head.. (our) heads.. Thank you for helping.. I think that is awesome. :)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8618124

titaniumRX8, do you know what the requirements are for adoption? I've subscribed to the mailing list, but can't find the "adoption list" mentioned. I'll look again when it's cooler.
Oddly, we've been talking about getting geese. Pretty much all our critters (except most of the chickens) are rescues with some kind of issues, so this might be Kismet. I have no idea what I need to provide for them, so I'll get googling. Thanks for the heads up, even if it's so sad.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8618141

Thanks ZZ.
I will only be able to take 4-5 because of coop space so I don't over do it. I have plenty of room on the pond to take more, but because of the nighttime limitation I can't take more. We have too many predictors around to not have them locked up at night. We also have snapping turtles that will get little ones - so I can't take any of those.

Funny story about some raccoons here...Those nuts yanked down my hummingbird feeder and broke the lid on it trying to get at what they thought was food. Dorks ... it is not completely broken, but they messed it up a bit.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8618155

catmad - here is the link to adoption info... http://www.carolinawaterfowlrescue.com/adopt.html
There are a lot of white colored and grey colored geese sorry I don't know what they are...

Here is the list of adoption info:
1) Predator protection must be provided for the birds. The level of protection varies with the type of birds you are applying for. If you donít provide predator protection and just want to replace birds that are getting killed you probably need to look elsewhere. We are happy to suggest improvements to your set up to make it safe for the birds so that you can qualify. Improvements must be made before the application will be approved.
2) Birds must be fed. Although this seems like a given, many people think they do not need to feed ducks. They need complete nutrition to be healthy just like every other animal and human. We recommend Mazuri Waterfowl Diet but there are many comparable waterfowl feeds out there. We are happy to recommend one based on what stores you have in your area. Chicken feeds and corn do not give complete nutrition to ducks.
3) There is an adoption fee for each bird. We must collect a fee to help towards the cost of taking in the birds. We spend far greater amount on medical care, feeding and supplies for each bird. We try to make the adoption fees reasonable. If you are providing a good home and can adopt multiple birds we will work with you on an adoption fee. Please be prepared to pay the fee when you pick up the birds.
4) Please be polite and patient. Adoption inquiries are handled via email only. Our phone lines are extremely busy and we need to make sure injured birds get priority on our phone lines. We appreciate your understanding!
5) Please understand all birds do not fit all situations. You may want swans but itís possible they arenít a good fit for your place. This doesnít make you a bad home. We will only suggest birds to you we feel will thrive with the set up you have to care for the birds. Many birds are regulated by state and federal laws as well.
6) We do not ship birds. Please be prepared to pick them up at the rescue. Also please bring appropriate carriers for the birds to go home in. If your using a pickup truck the birds must be covered or be in plastic kennels. If youíre not sure how to best transport your new feathered friends please ask us and we can give you solutions. We do not loan crates out any longer because we do not get them back. We know you mean well and plan to bring them back you just donít.
7) We do not adopt birds for the purposing of breeding or selling. Period, no exceptions. If your website says you breed birds or sell them for food or anything else you will not qualify for our adoption program. Its nothing personal, but creating more birds goes against the philosophy or a rescue that takes in thousands of these unwanted birds each year.
8) All of our birds are healthy and are examined by a licensed rehabilitation before they are cleared for release. If they have any special needs we will discuss that with you in full details.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8618167

One other item of interest, they are waving the adoption fees because of the amount of birds they relieved. But I know they would appreciate donations according to the email I received from them this morning that was updating the status of the rescue.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8618555

The rescue has uploaded some pics of the pick-up to facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.10150644334680063.683063.130491590062

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8618664

Gee, I feel sorry for the lady. From the pictures I saw those birds look healthy enough, and we all know what it costs to feed birds. Who has not had sick birds or accidents with our animals?

Parvo is a horrible disease, I had a dog with it once. I tried to help her get well but couldn't. It was really terrible. They bleed from the rectum.

I don't like this story.

They have demonized this woman.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 8, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8618713

We all should be very cautious about our comments. Having only part of the story, can be more damaging than having none of the story. I'm sure those who have had hands on rescue of these birds are probably the only ones that can assess what is really going on. Thanks Titanium for the alert on this situation, and thanks again for taking what you can deal with...Haystack.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8618794

Thanks all for your concern...I don't know the full story on it either. I am just looking at it just walking in off the street and seeing those birds with my own eyes.

Here is the story from a Charlotte station that is only reporting about the birds and their condition.
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Rescued-birds-being-nursed-back-to-health-in-Charlotte-123495709.html

Some of them look OK from a distance... They (the ducks and geese) wouldn't let me get too close when I was there... but I'm sure under their feathers (or lack there of) tell a different story. I defiantly saw many messed up wings and legs so she was not caring for some of them properly. I know it is hard when you might have predators, that you might even lose a few, but the amount that was there would stretch any one persons capabilities of keeping up with all that... Food, water, housing, electricity, and vet care can run a lot of money for over 200 birds.

I decided to go tomorrow to pick up a few ducks instead of waiting until Fri. I will take some pictures of the center and let you guys see what I see. I will also add a few pictures of the new family members too.

Until tomorrow ...

unless I see more questions from anyone
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8619214

I watched a video about this and they say she was a bird and puppy mill, and charges are pending. I think the word "hoarding" is a lot less intense than having a puppy mill. Either way, the condition of the dogs was just not okay in any stretch of the word.

I feel for that woman, but at the same time, it was more than obvious there was a major problem with the health of the dogs.. not to mention the birds.. When it gets to the point that the animals are suffering, I'm sorry.. it's just wrong.

I'm guessing it's a blessing in disguise for that poor woman who needed something to happen to "wake her up" and give her a reality check. A few healthy happy animals is far better than a lot of miserable sick ones. Now, if the charges are not too stiff, she might have a chance to clean the place up and make it better if she wants to sell animals.. I wouldn't want to walk up to that place to buy my puppy or chicken!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 8, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8619228

I think some people get caught up in something more than they can comprehend. She probably started off OK, then ended up with more critters than she could handle. Kind of sad in way.
There's been cases here about the same as this one. One time it's horses, then cattle, dogs, cats, but never heard of to many poultry.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 8, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8619282

It sounds to me like the lady here was in need of being rescued as badly as the birds, dogs, whatever. I agree Bernie, these situations often start off well intended, but just get way out of hand before those involed realize it, and there is no doubt a mental issue here as well...Hay
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8620108

Well I made it back finally...The lady that runs the place talked my ear off...

My son had a good time looking at all the different animals out there. He was a little worried that he would get poked or billed by one of them. He did good and just kept his hands to himself for the most part and was able to pet a few ducks and chickens. The geese and swans all kept their distance.

I only got 4 today because one of the cayuga's I wanted was not quite ready to go so she will hold on to that one for me.

I got one with a top knot I thought it was cute and so I took that one...The cayuga I didn't get today also has a top knot so I'll have them both to giggle at. Unfortunately I forgot my camera in the rush to get out there so I don't have pictures of the center. I'll try to get some next time I go out for the other duck.

When I got home I put them in with the chickens and they are the ones more freaked out than the ducks. I'm sure they will all settle in within a few days. Once the ducks have been around for a week or two I will let them go down to the pond. I was told that they need to stay confined for a little while so they will remember where's 'home'.

Well got to get some other work done around here...Hope everyone enjoys the pics of the new fur babies.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click the image for an enlarged view.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8620114

2 pekin, a cayuga and a black swedish (it doesn't have the green-black like the other one).

This message was edited Jun 9, 2011 11:57 AM

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8620138

I love the crested one! So cute! I'm so glad you could take some titanium... bless your heart. :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8620334

Titanium duck eggs are awesome except for scrambled. They taste fine but the texture is very heavy not light and fluffy like a chicken egg. Sunnyside up are to die for!!! I don't even eat the chicken eggs anymore except for scrambled. Make sure you only have 1 drake they are very aggressive in breeding. I have 2 drakes and 10 hens and they wear them out. My Rouen Drake is the worst.

Please let them free range when you are home. All they need is a kiddie pool if you don't have a pond.They spend very little time in the pool or pond. I fill their food bowls in the evening when I put them in for the night. They learn to herd very easily especially if you put them up at the same time everyday. Always leave a little feed in their bowl during the day and leave the door to their pen open. You can use big plant pots turned up side down for nesting boxes in the pen. They love them. Can take pic if you need to see

Oh and most importantly Thank you for rescuing some of them ;-)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 9, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8620497

The adopted ducks look happy in their new home already. I'm so glad they found you!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8620552

Thanks Donna for the info...
Oh boy, I didn't know the aggressive breeding part. I wish I had known about that. I ended up with a pair of each of them. The one I'm hoping to get later is a girl too so maybe that will take some of the heat off of them. I'm sure we will have enough room for them to get away when they need to. We have 6.5 acres and a pond so they will have plenty of room to roam around during the day once we have them trained to stay in the yard. I will be sure to keep a close watch for missing feathers on the neck. I've got some Canadian Geese out there too...I wonder if they will keep the ducks in line???LOL

I will probably use the eggs because we don't want a bunch of babies running around here for the snapping turtles or other animals to get after. I may let them have a couple here and there, but I don't want to end up like the lady that was the reason this whole thread started. I just have to figure out a way to work that out so we don't end up with missing babies. That is a little down the road though.

Donna, I would like to see a picture of your set up for nests. I'm going to have to set up some boxes for my chickies soon so I may as well do it for both when the time comes.

Thanks everyone for your support with this ... and all you duck owners will probably hear more questions from me as they come up.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8620665

you can order lg fake eggs on e-Bay and let them sit on them. Works like a charm or rotate out the eggs each week with fresh ones so none hatch until they give up being broody. You will have a problem when 1 or 2 of your girls go broody at the same time they may injure your single hen that is not broody. I recommend at least 3 hens to 1 drake more hens is better. Might ought to see if you can get a couple more hens when you pick up the other one. They don't have to have a great deal of room in the night time pen since they will free range all day. They don't have to have a pool in the pen either. 3 deep water pans at least 6" deep so they can clean their nostrils and have water to drink. Ducks will choke to death if they don't have water to wash down their food
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8620713

I will get them some more water pans. I just had the ones from the chickens in the coop avalible. It will be OK to put ones that deep in with chickens (they are at least 3 months old)? They don't seem to be eating a whole lot right now, but I understand because their world has just changed. It will probably take them a little time to settle in...

The lady at the center doesn't have a lot of girls because they seem to be the ones that people pick out the most. I'll see if some of the ones that came in the other day are girls. She hasn't had a whole lot of time to look them all over. She told me that several of them are mixes and they don't always have the curl in the tail to tell her that they are drakes. She said she can usually tell by the quack they make, but with so many there she can't tell who is making what sound.

The ones I took today are ones that were already there from the Easter throw-aways. She is going to spend the next week or two having to evaluate them to make sure they are healthy enough for adoption and figure out the sex of them. They also have quite a few mallards out there. She told me I could take some of those and not have to put them up at night because they are considered a wild duck. So those may be coming home with me too.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 9, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8620760

Mallards fly well and may not stay "home", Muscovys also may fly away to neighboring properties.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8621156

here are the nest boxes. They don't like the black one. I made the door to wide. They are about 15 to 16" tall

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8621162

2 hens brooding the ceramic eggs in one box. a Rouen and a Buff

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8621175

if you have a old 5 gal bucket you can just cut it down to 6 to 8" high. I keep 4 in with mine since they mud dabble in them. You need to change them every evening when you lock them up so they have fresh water for the night
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8621364

Can snapping turtles really kill ducks?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 9, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8621405

Yes, especially ducklings.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8621639

Donna- I have the picture of it now. I thought you just laid them on the side. I don't think I will get a black one because I think it may be too hot for them to sit inside them long. The coop is in the shade but with above 90 degree days already here I want to make sure they stay comfy. I guess you put a little straw in them and then they will probably add the feathers they think they need.

For all you duck owners- I have a question about some behavior I see a couple of them of them doing. It is like a head bob or more like head jerking. One does it quite a bit and there is another that has done it once that I've seen. Is that some kind of signal of danger or is it stress? Kinda looked seizure like at first, kinda worried me a bit about it, but then I saw the other one do it (not as pronounced though) and thought maybe it was some kind of communication they use. Just wondering...

I was able to find an old cat litter pan that was really large and had a ramp to get up into it so I hope they like it. It looks a little dirty this morning so I think they are only using it to drink right now.

As far as the snapping turtles, I have never seen what happens but was told by the neighbors that what happens is, they grab their legs and drown them. I've only just moved here recently and I am still learning stuff about the different animals around. I lived in the country back when I was young but I didn't have a lake/pond around. We had rabbits, dogs, cats, gerbils and a pheasant.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8622133

the black one will make no difference if it is in the shade as far as holding more heat only if the sun is shinning on it

Yes snapping turtles will grab the babies very quick. You can catch them fishing for them with cut bait or shoot them if you see them on the bank or a log. They make a great soup. I don't know how to clean a turtle or how to make the soup but have eaten before yum.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8622282

My dog was able to to clean out a turtle really nicely with all he was born with. He must have cracked it in half with his jaws and then dug out the 'meat'. So how to humanely do it is the challenge that I would have. Kinda hard to quickly chop a head off if it is tucked inside.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8622298

more pictures of the available adoptees

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150647574525063.684131.130491590062

Except for the black duck with the top knot. I'll be going back for it...MINE MINE MINE!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8622351

That's pretty scary about the snapping turtles, had no idea they could do such a thing.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8623473

"So how to humanely do it is the challenge that I would have. Kinda hard to quickly chop a head off if it is tucked inside."
Not that i would consider it, but the oldtimers say you get it to "latch on to a stick", pull, and use an axe.
Other than beheading, it's very tough to kill a turtle "humanely". Euthanising them is a nightmare, they simply don't die. Their metabolisms are so slow drugs (even incredibly high doses) are pretty much ineffective.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8623478

Watch out for the head after you chop it off. it will still be capable of taking your finger off!
Why are we killing turtles ?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8623489

I'm not. I used to really PO people who set turtle lines on my canal bank, I simply mowed the bank, all of it...And you are absolutely right, the head is still a force to be reckoned with.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8623841

To get to the head is a simple matter. Get the turtle to snap onto the hooked end of a straightened out clothes hanger. Pull on the head while standing on the shell and then cut the head off with an axe or hatchet. I'd shoot into the top of the head first with a 22 pistol or rifle. To clean the turtle, boil the entire thing for a bit in water and that will soften the shell enough for you to cut through the bottom part of the shell and open it up. Then you clean out the insides and seperate the meat out. Turtle sauce picant is mmm mmm good!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8624150

A food processor here tried canning turtle meat to sell commercially. Only a short time after canning, the cans started leaking. Whatever is in the meat, rusted the cans through. Nixed that idea!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8624214

OMG there is a Egyptian Goose in the pic on the bottom. They are expensive. The are aggressive to the other ducks especially when breeding. Not good for mixed pens
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8624223

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/BRKEgyptian.html they are about 150 to 200 a pr.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8624292

That Egyptian was in with mostly big geese and was the only one there. The ducks that were there with it have now been moved out to the large yard with all the other ducks. The large yard has every kind of bird around...even some herons they rescued. They have out there swans and they were so docile that you could just walk right by and they wouldn't even move. I had always thought swans were really mean. I also had no idea they got so large. The ones I saw growing up were a little bigger than a Canadian Goose. The ones out there could easily be 100lbs.

I went back out today and got the Cayuga with the crest and I also got another Swedish but she is grey/blue. I'll post a picture of them later. It is raining and yucky outside so I'm going to relax for a bit and then go out and drive them nuts by taking more pictures.

Oh and more pictures have been uploaded to facebook to show some of the cases of bad treatment:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.10150648457445063.684443.130491590062
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.10150649169495063.684730.130491590062

This message was edited Jun 11, 2011 4:17 PM
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8624720

I have taken a couple of pictures of the new duckies...

This one is of the Cayuga with the crest. He is in the back there near the chickens. He is one of the rescues. If you compare him to the other one you can see he is smaller than the other one.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8624746

The next one is of the Swedish blue - she is in the back behind the black Swedish. I couldn't get a good picture of her she was a bit scared of course. Her feathers look rough because I think she was in with too many boys. Her neck wasn't bare but it was missing feathers and only had a little fuzz. It also looks like she has never had a good bath, but she will soon. Just need to get them use to the new diggs first and then I'll let them have the pond to play in.

I'm hoping I can get the little kiddie pool set-up tomorrow so they can all get in and splash around. Just need to set-up some wire around the front of the coop to keep them corralled. I would hate to have to chase ducks around the yard trying to get them back in to coop - that would give the neighbors a good laugh. It was a tough job just getting the last two today - all of them pretty much required a net to catch them. They are fast little buggers.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America