Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Houseplants: PLEASE HELP insects in my peace lily : (

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 5, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poetic_boy
san juan
United States

June 8, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8619156

pleaseee can someone tell me or explain me whats wrong or happening to the soil of my peace lily ???? recently i took to my office a peace lily i had at home , the office is air conditioned at around 68 to 70 F and bright fluorecent lights on ceiling, the plant was lightly moist before taking it to the office have not watered it and it has been 2 weeks since its been in office i put it near the air conditioner below it ( no draft is towards the plant or the leaves ) all since then i have cheked the soil and it moist not dry , and the leaves are all perked up as if it was happy in new home : ) and today upon looking at the plant i did notice some few leaves to show some yelowing at the tips only few of them and the soil feeling a bit more moist than days before , i havent watered it only 2 times i have misted with water in these 2 weeks its been in ofice , but uppon cheking the soil in detail to see it beside touchng it , i saw SOME SMALL LITTLE INSECTS ????? in the plant they are not worms, thought they were but they had many legs on the side and little antenas and move verrry fastt, they looked like litle and had many feet and had little antenas , been searching on the internet but havent found nothing looks like them , they look like miny centipde and crawl fast ( saw pics of baby centipides so its not them but just mentioned to you have and idea ) as i moved the soil the showed and then they crawled back in the soil, so pleaseeeee can someone tell me what are they ?????????/ have u u seem them on your plants ???? what can i do pleasee really would apreciate ur help , thanks

p.s . looking at my keyboard the lenght and looks of them is aprox like this

>====

so thats and idea of how they look , thanks
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8642730

I have no idea what kind of insects you have on your peace lily but I can tell you what I've always done to rid plant soil of unwanted insects--water it with a dilute solution of water and vinegar. I haven't had to do this in quite a while but I'd guess I used about 1/4 cup of vinegar in a quart of water. Vinegar is organic so it won't hurt your plant (as long as you don't use too much).
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8642778

I can't help you on the insects...but you mention that you checked the soil and it's wetter than it was before. Have you been watering it? Could be you've got a coworker who thought you needed some help taking care of the plant and has watered it, thrown leftover coffee in it, etc. Overwatering can cause yellowing leaves.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

June 26, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8656471

I'm wondering if you are describing millipedes... They give off an odd "minty" smell if you disturb them...

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef645.asp
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 29, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8662747

Usually people get soil mites or Springtails or Fungus gnats. Try that vinegar recomendation, I'm going to! Thanks for that by the way Naturelover!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8668276

You're very welcome tommyr2006. It's always worked for me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America