Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Better, Best is Yet to Come!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 296, Views: 2,675
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 8, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8619263

Start off with a mighty "Happy Birthday, Chele".
Your thread was getting a tad long.
Your good friend Melissa wants to keep posting.
So here we are, a nice new thread.
Bernie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8619269

I was going to vote to keep it too. Enjoy hearing what Chele and the family is doing, and love the people here too.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8619273

Happy Birthday Chele!!

Thanks Bernie. :)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8619351

Happy Birthday, Chele!

I've been clobbered by a summertime cold. I went through almost 2 boxes of kleenex yesterday! That's not the kind of personal record that I'm trying to set :- ()

Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 9, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8619656

Pat, that's the time to pull out the big guns! Puff's with lotion!l LOL!

Happy Birthday Chele! If you were closer I'd give you a piece of the many left over wedding cakes! I brought the flopped bottom layer to work this morning. It should disappear before the day is over. I think there's still at least parts of 3 other cakes in the cooler. 2nd DD took the real bottom layer wedding cake over to the mill with her Monday. I think it lasted until noon. I think employees as well as customers were chowing down. They wanted to know who I was marrying off next week.

I was supposed to get my tomatoes and squash weeded this morning by the summer help but somehow that got bumped for something else. Get ready here comes the whine... Seems like what I want done always gets bumped for something until I go and do it myself. I'm betting he won't get my ground plowed until late July and then wonder why I'm not planting pumpkins and winter squash.

We're adding a Louisville market this weekend. We gave up a local Wed. evening market and the Horse Park market and this one will make up for them and then some. Plus it won't disrupt the middle of the week. Saturday's will be hectic and I've got to figure out the logistics of keeping it going while the daylilies are blooming but after that it should settle down some.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8619871

Happy BIRTHday TO YOOOOOOU!!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8620023

Thank you all! The younger kids bought me a nice insulated cup to take to games and outside. They also picked me up a strawberry cake and strawberry icing. My Grandma used to make that cake for my birthday. My great aunt always made me a strawberry cake with strawberries and strawberry glaze. Isn't it nice that they remember that. :)

Pat, we've been battling the funk too. I think it's because it's finally hot and dry and the farmers are busting buns. Lots of spraying and tilling suddenly going on. Watch for slow traffic! Giggled today driving home from the post office. International Harvester was on the radio while we traveled 10 mph behind a HUGE something or other. LOL

Gotta figure out what I'm doing for a few hours then Carly has a home softball game.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8620063

HaPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! I was working outside, but the flys were biting so bad they drove me a little more nutso. They used to say that when the flys bite, it means it's going to rain. I didn't think I'd be saying it this soon, but we could use some rain. The farmers have been in the fields the last two weeks, planting day and night and they are praying for rain also. It will probably cool down next week when we go to Texas. LOL They are in a historic drought, and the lake that my daughter lives on is completely dry. A flock of herons came in and got the fish and brought them into the yards and left the remains to cook in the 100 degree heat. She was more than unhappy at the stench and having to clean it all up. Uck! Our Grandkids are celebrating their 5th and 7th birthdays on 18th and for once, we'll get to celebrate with them. I haven't seen them since Christmas and I'm getting real anxious. Stay cool everyone ! Lurker Lou
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8620088

Happy Birthday...do something special for yourself...you deserve it.

Debbie
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 9, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8620137

Happy B'day! Chele, wasn't it convenient you were bore during strawberry season. My mother was canning peaches the day before I was born and was thinking of naming me "Stoney"
Herman
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8620341

ROFL, Herman!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Badseed!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8620348

My name probably should have been Sally, based on conception but I'll save that story for another day. LOL
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8620622

Happy Birthday, Chele. Have a wonderful year, and many ever more wonderful ones.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8620654

Thank you. :)
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8620767

Happy birthday! I almost checked DG so late that I missed it!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8620877

Happy Birthday Chele. Hugs
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8621132

Happy 2 more hours of your bday, Chele! Had to fix some leaks on my pool liner as well - what a pain! Hope you were able to get all of yours done, I bet the kids were anxious.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8621159

Happy Happy, since I am so late wishing you the Happy Birthday, celebrate another day just for me!

DGD and I went to the grocery this morning, and was home by 10:30, and when we got the groceries put away, she flopped in a recliner, and I flopped on the couch. I think the last 2 weeks of working hard has finally caught up with me, and I truly took a day off. Well, I did go out about 3:30 and chop off some more spent iris stalks, and took a few weeds out of that bed, then came in and cooked supper. So very little work out of me today.

We had a hose break on the pool, and had to stop by the pool store and get that, bought an extra one, as I am sure we will have another one break before the season is over. DH got in the pool for the first time today after he had put out soaker hoses in the garden and he was all hot and sweaty.

Pat, sorry to hear about you having the summer cold. They are worse than the winter ones. Take Janet's advice, and get the puffs with lotion, or you will have all the skin off your nose and may be in danger of having a nose transplant.

Janet, I bet the employees at both places are sure glad the "test cakes" are still edible. Who cares if the looks aren't perfect. Aww, I know the feeling about your work coming behind anything else that needs doing. Sometimes, I just don't even mention any plans I might have, and catch him on the spur of the moment. Like this spring when he had the tiller on the tractor tilling the garden, when he finished with that, I went out and said before you put it away can you..., and it got done, so maybe you will have to work it from that angle.

We are trying to plan a trip for DGD, and then a trip of a few days for DH and my DTS and her DH and of course me. It would work out great if we could go while DGD is gone, but we will have to see.

Don't know what tomorrow will find me doing, but it will be early in the morning, before it gets too hot out.

Lou, have fun on your trip. Bet you are excited getting to see the DGChildren. That will be great celebrating their birthdays.

~~~ at Mystic, Jules, Esther, Melissa, welcome Debsroots, Renee, Critter.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8621363

Thank you for all of the birthday wishes. It's nice to see you all. :)

Just ate the strawberry cake with strawberry icing that Kristenne baked for me, just like my Grandma used to make.

Carly's team won their game tonight, 21-11. Nobody got a home run for me though...

I'm going to hit the sack. Melissa is coming to play tomorrow afternoon. We are going to swap out some plants and hang out for a bit. She and Morganne have way too much fun together. LOL

I need to get a couple of boxes of plants ready to mail Saturday morning on our way to Carly's game. She has 2 games on Sunday. Then I have to get in packing mode for Monday morning.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8621830

Well I missed this happy birthday party...but better late than never! Besides...I DID wish her happy birthday on FB, didn't I, Chele??
Just now catching up on my reading on here..and what you all been doing.
Nothing going on here...either too hot..too wet...or something!
Gotta head to the shower...have a great day all!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8622015

FB, huh? Already wished me happy birthday? I don't know what you are talking about. LOL *GRINS* Yes, yes, you were at the other "party". It's all good!

If the storms ever pull through here, they say it will only get up to 80 on Sunday...
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 10, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8622020

Only 65 when I got up at 9 this AM Told you I take it easy.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8622105

When you woke up, YOU were 65 or the temp was?? LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8622190

Pat, thank you so much for the birthday card. :) I'll write to you later.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 10, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8622208

Wish I was 65 again. 15 years sure takes a toll. Humidity high, guess I'll hit the gym after lunch.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8622869

I'm starting to wonder what you find so fascinating at that gym, aside from the temperature. LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8622900

Melissa just left here after visiting for about 4 hours. The kids invited her to spend the night but her own kids were calling and trying to make dinner plans.

She got here just in time to see the electric company's tree crew dump a giant load of mulch for me. :) Hey, it was worth 1/2 a dozen soft drinks. LOL (bats eyelashes)

Melissa brought us so much stuff! The kids had a great time going through all the books and bathing suits and clothes and I don't even know what else. I even got lots of new stuff!!

It was great to hang out but I don't think she took near enough plants with her. I still have more...
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 10, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8622993

It's not what is at the gym, but what I take away--Stronger muscles and a belly that I can close my pants around. Went from 36 to loose 34" waist. My life was complicated enough. I like it the way it is, at least for a while. I know you were kidding, but it is all about getting my life back. Lots of time left for future entanglements. After the gym and some shopping, I worked some more on the front hedge before dinner. Yew hedge that wasn't cut properly for about 5 years. Last summer I was using loppers and a pole pruner to try to bring it back. No pics, ever! If I look at it too long, I get sea sick.
Herman
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8623079

Chele, glad that you had a good day with Melissa. Wow, you both hit the jackpot if you traded clothes for plants.

I got out this morning and did a bit of weed chopping, then we had a little shower and I got wet before I got inside, then it stopped raining. Then the rest of the day was doing laundry and napping. The last two days I have done a lot of napping, Not sick but wonder if I am ready to come down with something.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8623244

Quite the exciting storm this afternoon. I'd repositioned the rain barrel & went out to see how it was working. LOL, the flexible pipe that went from the downspout to the barrel had fallen down! Oh, my, I could now see clearly why I probably picked the wrong downspout... I could have filled up a bathtub in 1 minute or less. Went down to the basement to find that the previous watery sites were dry, but that I'd developed two new wet spots. Two window wells on the bedroom end of the house were sending little rivulets of water cascading down. They both have plastic covers over the wells, so I'm not sure what to do next. Move sounds good abt now, but of course it's out of the question unless I win ther lottery, & I'd have to play to win!

Chele, one of the daylilies you gave me was in bloom yesterday, and the others are getting ready. I'll send you some pictures when they're open.
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8623302

It was not a good or fair trade at all! Melissa barely took anything! I think she left with a flat of peppers, a big elephant ear, a couple of black sweet potato vines and a weeping butterfly bush. A lot of people would have wiped me out and she barely took a thing!

I hear ya Herman! I'm glad you are taking good care of yourself and planning ahead. :) You are right. I was just razzing you. I miss the gym! We had lifetime memberships before we moved here. They had really cheap babysitting too. I could see the kids unless I was in the cardio-room and work out to my hearts content. It sure feels good to go work up a good sweat and watch your body change. Mine's been changing the last few years and not for the better. LOL

Bonnie, could it just be the heat messing with you? I've been tired too. It's been too hot to sleep well. Plus when the air is so heavy outside, it's hard to work outside. Maybe it's nature's way of telling you to go in and take a break.

Pat, I'm sorry about your rain woes. Maybe you could have someone come out and look at it and give you some ideas that you could do yourself or get your guys to help with it, after you hear some good things that might work? I am glad to hear that your daylilies are doing well. :) I hope you enjoy them!
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8623317

Happy Birthday, Chele. There is a thread for your birthday in Daylilies forum. You need to go look!!
Judy
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8623325

Thank you Judy! I'm so sorry I didn't think to look there!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8628639

Shipped 211 plants today.

Got another free load of mulch from the tree trimmers again today.

Transplanted, watered, mowed a bit.

I'm ready for bed. Got about 4 hours sleep last night.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 14, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8629321

Went to the dentist yesterday. It seems like they're watching every inch of my tooth surface so of course they found a cavity. Below the level of the gold crown. They said they'd "try" a "repair" otherwise I guess they'll want to do a new crown. Wanna bet where we're going with this? I bet I can already start saving my change for this one.

Cutting hay like mad. They start cutting as soon as the dew is off, cut until around 2:00 then start the rake and baler. They aren't rolling out of the field until dark. My blackberries and new daylilies need watering. Hopefully tonight. I have to dig 4 daylily orders so I'll turn on the water while I'm up there. The kids will have to clean the plants and get them ready to ship tomorrow morning.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8629439

Tell them just to pull the tooth. LOL One visit and done and hopefully no surprises. Otherwise I bet you have one visit to drill and fill and another for a new crown unless they find something new to charge for. Ahem.

The tree guys are here again today. Hope I get another pile of mulch. They seem surprised I want it. I believe they are from Mexico and we have a bit of an issue with communication. I keep telling Morganne and Kristenne to go out as they both have 2 years of Spanish under their belts. I took French and German which are totally useless as I'll probably never go to Europe!

Yesterday they got the truck stuck. Neither them nor me thought much of them backing all the way down the line. Forgot about the rain over the weekend. I had to lend them a bunch of shovels. Then my neighbor came in his Bobcat and pulled them out. Then I got that second pile of mulch. I told him he never brought his toys over to play with me and he just laughed.

After the tree guys left, I mowed their path for them so they can SEE to get back there. Had to quit before I got much done. Dinner, TV and bed. I was dead tired.

I have two boxes to get out today and a lot of work to do... This cool weather is making me so tired! I just want to stay in bed. It sure is nice to work in it though!
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8629491

Wish I had your energy!! Please send the rain. We had so much rain and it drowned things this spring..just a couple weeks later and the drought began. If we have 30-40 per cent chance of rain, it doesn't rain. I need to pull weeds. They grow in any condition..lol..
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8629540

I don't have my energy. LOL I have to push ahead anyway. grumble grumble.

Gathered laundry, got dressed, running out the door.

Thanks again for the birthday present. :)
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 14, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8629573

Chele. I worked in trees. the only word you need at the end of the day is "cervesa" or whatever the spanish is for cold beer. Just make sure its the END of the day. Amazing what a 6-pack can get you. LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8629729

LOL Yes, I did consider they'd love a Cerveza or too. Problem is, they are driving company trucks. I don't want to get them in trouble. Thought it might not be appropriate to invite them back...me and 7 kids and all. LOL Even if I bought them beer to take with, might not look good if they jump out of the truck with a 12 pack. Ahem. They got soft drinks, water and juice last time.

I figure I'm saving them a trip to a landfill or something? They are still out there working. I mowed some more space *just in case* they want to drop some more shredded wood. hehehe
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 14, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8629784

Anything wet and cold is appreciated. Good time to get chips, more moisture, cures quicker. Does pull Nitrogen if used fresh as mulch. 2 weeks piled up will help with that. Guess you know all that.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8629874

I always get some tree chips when they are working close by. Don't put them on the garden though, if they have black walnut in there you will kill things. Also fresh chips use up a lot of nitrogen.
If they take them to a landfill, they probably have to pay to dump them.

211 plants, that's great!

Bernie
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8629913

Around here they must sell the tree chips, we have been promised some chips everytime the electric company trims around here, but nada so far. At least they just left the bamboo they cut and did not chip them up as per Bob's repeated requests and signs, etc.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8630126

My strawberry crop is almost over. I'm thinking of putting it in elevated beds next year. I'd never had enough plants before to realize how much bending it would take to get at them, LOL. And I'd think that I'd gotten them all, & move to the other side of the furrow, and there they'd be, hiding under their leaves! It's been wonderful to eat berries that are red all the way through, smell like strawberries, & don't have a giant cavern in the middle. Now I need to steel myself to get ready for the Kroger berries again, tough & cavernous & bright red from who-knows-what, & tasting only vaguely like home grown. Wish I'd discovered this a lot earlier in life!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8630476

Pat, I think the bending is well worth the effort when you are coming up with your hands full of red ripe strawberries. They have those pyramid things that have 3 tiers and those who have them say that they are easier to pick. We don't have berries, because there is a upick about 3 miles from us, and the owners give DH a good deal, because when he goes to pick he gets to talking to the owners, and before they know it he has helped them pick the ones they sell already picked.

Chele, I have been so sleepy, and I too have come to the conclusion that the weather is making me sleepy. However, I took an OTC allergy med yesterday, and I KNOW that did it yesterday. Great that you are getting all of those wood chips. I don't think it is wet enough anywhere here that anything, including a bulldozer would get stuck.

Janet, Dentists used to nickel and dime you to death, but that is not true any more, they $25.00 and $50.00 you to death. We used to have great dental insurance through DH's work, but when he retired we lost it. Now when I go to get my teeth cleaned, I tell them no xrays, if there is a problem, we will know it soon enough.

Have several daylilies blooming, and I have been checking tags and making sure they have the correct one. Also making a map.

Herman you feeling okay?

Judy, we would all be rich if we could come up with something to stunt weed growth during a drought.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8630567

I take those 5 hour energy things once in a while. I really think they work. I can tell the difference.

Last year when I went to the dentists for a cleaning, they did x-rays and something else..I don't even know what or when. My insurance wouldn't pay that something else because they only pay for one per every two years. I didn't even know they were doing something different!!

I had a few strwberries, about 5 plants from someone I don't speak to anymore, that had the best taste..the strawberries, I mean...I mean the BEST!! I think I got Round Up on them. I don't know the name, but they were good. Yes, it breaks my back. I thought of putting some on a window shelf or something so no bending would be required ..lol..
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8630573

Three loads of mulch...hehehe I was a bit offended when there were 3 trucks here at one point and NONE of them gave me clippings. LOL They *better* bring me more!

They've been clearing down the electric line that goes down my driveway. It's the MAIN line for both counties I live in. It's really neat to go back there and look as they've almost cleared to the next road. I may have to post pics. There is actually a path back there now.

Can you recycle rusted metal at the metal places? There is a ton of old rusted fencing!

Back to work!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 14, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8630575

I'm doing OK, Bonnie. thanks for asking. Probably doing too much philosyphizing lately.
Trying to get more ground ready for planting EX's SIL brought my front-end tiller over. Used it to rip up some sod for a new bed. Good for the shoulders???
Besides roots, I found a brick. Now I have to wait for it to dry out to get the grass out. Dug a small bed by fork and added a little soil so it will be higher if we get another inch or more of rain at a time. Will be cloudy tomorrow, so I think I'll shower with DEET and put some more peppers in now.
Herman

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8630729

My strawberries are just starting to get ripe. I refuse to bend over!
I get the plants from Indiana Berry Co. They are Seascape. The same ones they plant in California for the hard grocery store ones.
They are like a different breed when home grown.
They are everbearing, so I will have strawberries all summer. I pick every other day.
These were planted end of April.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8630735

Close-up.

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8630804

Bernie, They're absolutely gorgeous-- both the berries and the no-bend set up you've got for them. I've got 2 different varieties going, but the one that tastes the best (to me) is called Fort Laramie, I think. (Having put that down, I'll go outside tomorrow & find that it's Custer's Last Stand, or the Alamo, or the Missouri Compromise, LOL) Something name with a western theme.

At least I've had enough to make it into the house with some this year. Last year they disappeared before they got in the door.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8630956

Bernie, now that is the way to pick strawberries. I could do it, if I had your set up. Our strawberries have been gone probably 3 weeks or more, and I refuse to buy them in the grocery. Now if I find some at a farmer's market, I might chance that.

Herman, sounds like you are working way too hard. I can't imagine your ground being wet. We are beginning to be very very dry. Matter of fact DH has started using the soaker hoses in the garden. Will water one row one day and move it over to the next the next day. By the time he finishes all the rows, it is time to start over again.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8631120

I taught Nolan to taste wild black raspberries today. Hope that was not a mistake. The kid will be eating everything in sight. LOL He REALLY likes the black raspberries! I told him he can never eat anything in the yard unless I say it's okay. He's only 2 so I hope he listened. He was eating quicker than I could pick them.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 14, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8631152

My ground slopes probably less than 3' front to back. I have a hole dug about 2/3rds of the way. The water is about 4" from the top today. The vegie garden is close to that level. Near the front, where the flowers are is getting dry. There is no drainage in the back except through a foot or more of clay and into the sand layer that is lower than the water table. But if the clay ever dries out I need a jack hammer to break it.. Garden area has been amended. Full of worms where I dug today. All I need is a little aeration and things grow real well.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8631216

Bernie, That looks like a commercial set up. Do you grow those just for yourselves?
How deep is the soil ? I would love something like that. I'm gonna have to think about that and study your pics more..lol..

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 15, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8631454

Here's a thread;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175007/
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8631465

Nice threaad.
Question: If the boxes were not in a green house, would the winter freeze the strawberries and they would die?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8632184

This is the strangest weather ever! We need the rain and I'm enjoying the break even though I should be mowing and transplanting and a bunch of other stuff...but the temps? I'm glad it's not muggy but it's this chilly? Really!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8632370

Waiting on the electrician to come and do the fan installations... supposed to be here at 2 pm. Need to go to PO & library. Why don't people call?

On the other hand--- Bernie, I was ready to pack up & move next door to you. WOuld you give me a yearly rate on strawberries if I come and pick my own? LOL It does look a bit flat up there. How far do you have to go to hit a ridge or a hill? I don't do flatlands very well.
Pat

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 15, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8632437

First, the plants are discarded each fall. Start with new ones in the spring. We need 1000 plants & it's under $200.

Flat land here for the most part. We have a nasty hill in our garden. A creek goes along our property line. Flat next to it & then the hillside.

Some nice farmsteads for sale around here. One recently on the market was 19 acres with many buildings for $129,000.
Remember, this is some of the best soil in the world here. Only Ukraine beats us.

Minnesota has a very low unemployment rate. Lots of work around if you like to work!
Ad on radio this morning looking for RN's, paying $29.00 an hour.

I know, Chele will say I am campaigning again. LOL!

Have a Great Day, All!
Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 15, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8632440

Did I forget to mention our nice winters ? 30 below zero & tons of snow. That's why we don't need hills. Lots of people leave here in November & return in April. They are called "Snowbirds".
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8632476

And that sir, is exactly why I have not packed up and moved to Minnesota! I've only been there once. Got so much snow in one night that we sunk and lost a snowmobile! LOL
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8632791

Yeah, I couldn't go those temps.

Well, Darn, about the strawberry plants and discarding every fall. Shoot, in the past ours have lasted several years. I don't have any at all right now. Killed them by accident. I was just about to begin building those boxes...lol.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 15, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8632843

Anybody get any rain today? I think we got about half an inch of much needed moisture. Now maybe some of that Johnson grass will pull. Course I could spray the dickens out of it. Probably should.

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8632877

We had a half inch in the gauge from the rain we had late morning. Nothing else since then.

Chele, I just asked DH if you could scrap old rusted farm fence and he said yep and that it goes for about ten cents a pound. He's always scrapping stuff from work at the scrap place on his way home so he should know - lol. They have major amounts of scrap left over at some of his sites and he's big into recycling if at all possible. Our oldest used to go to work with him just to see if he could find something to scrap and get some extra money. Don't know how much you have or if it's much trouble to get out but that gives you an idea.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8632900

Judy, it's so good to see you posting over here. :)

It's good to see everyone!

Di, that is good to know. There are some giant tumbleweeds back there! They have really cleared a lot back there. I wonder if I can get them out and do it without getting covered in poison ivy. I'd need a trailer to move them. Some are about 4' across. We already recycle cans and barn siding and other odds and ends we find around here or don't need.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8632928

Thursday is garbage day here and every Wednesday night two different pick-up trucks drive around the neighborhood looking for scrap stuff and yard sale items. It's so funny because they both zip around our cul-de-sac so fast I don't know how they really get a good look at what's out there. They're as faithful as the garbage man is on Thursday morning. I guess our neighborhood is full of junk though.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8632961

When we lived in a more suburban area, we had the same thing. Heck, you could put something at a garage sale for .50 and not sell it but there were at least 3-4 cars that would circle on garbage night. LOL
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8632981

My daughter's refrig went bad and had to buy a new one. I worried for her about how she would dispose of the old one. She put it at the curb and it was gone by next morning..lol..

Chele, I just retired at the end of May so I have a little more time on my hands and can read and type..lol..

We had a lot of lightning and a hard rain for 5 minutes then 7 minutes of sprinkle. I timed it. We need more.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8633036

People use refrigerators for all kinds of stuff. Someone may have taken it for the metal weight too.

Glad to hear you retired! Hope you can still afford to live decent too. Maybe you'll get tons of new daylily orders since you'll be home more. :)

We didn't get anything but grumbling and a slow soaking rain most of the day.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8633080

Evening folks. We had a thunder, lightening, wind and rain this morning. I was at the hospital for my mammogram and when I left it was just getting started. Drove home in it, and it continued here for about an hour. Mr. B went under the bed at the first clap of thunder, and stayed there until late this afternoon. Poor thing. We had 1/2 inch of rain, but it looks like it was slow enough that it all went into the ground. Good weeding tomorrow!

While DH was inside because of the rain, I recruited him and DGD to help remove wallpaper border, and then put up new. DGD touched up some paint. Now you know that everybody was bored here to help do that!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 15, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8633084

Things are drying out. The water table has dropped to 8 or 10 inches today. Everything I planted last night was up this morning. I guess the raccoon wanted some worms to go fishing. I got them replanted ok. Put a fence around some . Wonder if 8mg of coumadin will have any effect on the coon? All that's left from my knee op last year.
Got into the back section. No standing water, pond down about 4". Dug some horseradish. Guess I'll be crying tomorrow. I don't think it is as strong as it would be when dormant. Roots grow sideways due to the clay. Think 'll plant some in a big pot when I get some sand to mix in with the clay and rotted vegetation.
Real jungle back there-roses, wild grapes. blackberries, maple seedlings, grass 3' high and phragmites creeping in from the neighbors. Pond covered w/algae already. I can see my Summer work cut out for me. A 4" diameter willow log laying on the ground was starting to grow.
What doesn't get done will have to wait for another time, or another owner. At one time the city had plans to put 6 houses on my land. Not in the near future.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8633094

Herman, be careful, you may find bear back there! Our yard is approximately 1 acre, with the flower beds contained in that acre. Then DH has about another acre planted in garden, so you know that it a lot of mowing weed eating and trimming to keep all that up.

Around here you have no problem getting rid of appliances. There is a recycling center about 4 miles from us, and if you have something that you want gone, just put it out by the curb/road/garbage cans. Next morning it is gone. There are people who are professional "junkers" and that is the way they make their living, so there must be money in it.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8633108

Yep, Bonnie, same thing around here. We never even think about it because it will be gone by the next morning - no matter what we set out. We threw away two old adirondack chairs that we had kept in the screen porch for years. They were made out of untreated pine so they couldn't be left outside. Well, when DH redid the screen porch he put them out by his garage and that's where they sat for a year or so. When the one broke we carried them out to the road - those suckers were heavy they were so waterlogged. Sure enough, 30 minutes later they were gone. I don't know what they were going to do with them but at least they were gone from my house.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 15, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8633162

I did see the track of one deer, not too fresh. I'll be on the look out for bear when I pick the blackberries and blue berries if the cat birds leave any for me. Robins all over the cherry trees.Between birds and mildew. I don't get many.. Luckily, the mulberries next door ripen about the same time as the raspberries, so the birds leave some for me.
I used to scrap when i was in NJ. I was registered with the city Just had to report what I sold. I kept the cash. No appliances then. Only 45 cents per 100 lbs. Much more now. Shortly after I finished rehab from my broken pelvis, I picked up a cast iron tub w/ my station wagon.
Got $4 for it. But gas was $1.50. Even with the higher scrap prices, I don't see how they do it with the high gas prices.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 16, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8635003

Had a real good cry this morning. Got 2, 8oz jars of horseradish in the frige. The raccoon ate the peanut butter, but spit out the pills. Have to try something else. Dug into the sand layer, and I think it was draining. Then a storm came through around 4:30. Only 1/4" of rain. Good! Have to check the hole in the AM. Too many flying vampires after the rain. and not enough bats to eat them.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8635076

Herman, good that you got the horseradish processed. How do you do it? I have never raised it, and I am the only one in the family that likes it, so what I eat is bought.

I called this morning and got an appointment for a hair cut, and when I got back home, took a nap. DGD and I went out about 2 o'clock and I cleaned and swept the pool. I guess those couple of cooler days and the rain really cooled off the water, as it was only 70 degrees.

Let the puppies out tonight so they could run, and boy did they. They had so much fun, but are getting wise to having to go back into the kennel. They all ran to the garage, just as if they thought we didn't know about the garage! Finally got them back in.

DGD is going home tomorrow afternoon. Seems her DM wants her to come and be with her, she is not doing well accepting the death of her DF. She will be back next Tuesday.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8635382

Herman,
At my old house we had a cherry tree, and it was always a standoff between the birds and the people as to who got the most cherries. The only year there was a difference was the last time we had the 13 year cicadas or the 17 year ones--- I can't remember, but the tree had a cicada on every branch. The birds stuffed themselves on cicadas & left the cherries for us!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8636033

Pat that is the first time I have heard anyone say cicadas are beneficial!
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8636081

They are also great at the end of a fishing pole. We had great fishing at a Maryland RU some years ago.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 17, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8636178

Bonnie, it's simple, dig it clean it, pare it, (eyes get moist) cut it in small chunks and drop it in the blender a little at a time and chop to fine. Fill a small jar with horseradish, pour in vinegar and refill. Place in refrigerator for a week to age, and enjoy. I add a pepper to the mix to give it a little extra kick. I could send you a start if you want to try it. Would take 'til the fall of '12 to be big enough. Should have deep soil.
Had little more rain last night, but soaked in. Little run-off, that is my problem.
Wedding is finally set for July 23 in Elgin IL. I may have DD's staying overnight because I am about half way from NJ to IL. Will have to clean house.UGH! at least make room for them in the front bedroom. Not sure if I can stand anyone living in my house or if they can stand it, either.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8636188

When we had large Koi, we'd whip the insects into the pond and watch the fish suck them down. LOL

Another issue today at Casa de Crap. Last night I told Craig I hear water running when I went to the kitchen. He said it was just the fan on the fridge. I asked him if he was sure because it sure sounded like water. He was sure. Today he's running around the house, has the water turned off, is pumping out the crawlspace so he can find and fix whatever is leaking. So I'll probably have a high water bill, not to mention he is missing work. Argh. Why is nothing easy. Hopefully he can fix it quick and get his butt to work.

The only good thing that could possibly come out of this, is that the water around the pool is from that and not from the liner having a hole. Nah, I'm not that lucky.

I think I found a house that is big enough for us and in the right district. LOL http://www.sgoedde.comey.com/displaylist.asw?listnum=1253232&mls=cincy
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8636265

Leaks found. Waiting to see if I need to go to the hardware store and what I need to get.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8636433

Geez, you will get lost in there, it's so big.
Is this near where you live now ?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8636457

It's about 20 minutes down the road. It's also close to 2 highways, which means closer to a mall, restaurants, etc (places for the kids and me to work). It would be perfect for advertising plants. It's also in the school district we want to be in. Of course it is out of our budget but so is everything else. LOL

We were looking at it it online and observing room sizes. There is a den which would be wonderful but also a living room and family room. The master bedroom is WAY too big so we could get an extra bedroom out of that. If wishes were fishes... We are dying for space and would love to get out of this school district. Melissa said she has seen that house and that it's awesome!
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8636760

defoecat wrote:Pat that is the first time I have heard anyone say cicadas are beneficial!

LOL Same here

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8636765

Durn, Chele..that house is huge - you'd lose Nolan for a couple of days if you let him out of your sight :) Those hardwood floors sure are pretty though. So what was all the leaking from?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8637140

Apparently a previous owner had capped off a water line. No idea what it went to. I guess the elbow rusted through so it was spraying out for at least 9 hours for sure. :(

The other one he capped off, we already knew about. That one, the previous owners had cut off and not capped. That one was leaking sewage under the house. Bleck. Gotta love redneck living.

Otherwise it's been a pretty productive day. Got a ton of daylilies potted, watered the greenhouse and the plants outside. Kristenne got all the rabbit poo out of the barn and we dumped it in the raised beds I was going to use for veggies then she got a bunch of the mulch we got and dumped it on top of that. I'm thinking about overwintering all the trees and shrubs there. I really need a hoophouse. Too many plants and no way to shelter them.

Oh, well, just dropped Carly and a friend at a birthday party. Gotta get back to work before I lose the daylight.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8637356

Very unproductive day here. Planted a few things this morning, then got caught up in cleaning the pool, then company came, etc, etc. You see where this day is going. Not a thing accomplished that amounted to anything.

Herman, thanks, but will just buy what I use, which is very little.

Chele that house is beautiful, and would almost have a room per person, that would be great. Hope that if you are serious about it, that the Lord makes a way.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8638669

It looks like a great house, Chele. Would that be enough land for you? They should knock a bunch off the pricew, tho', just for the lack of bannister on the first floor. I can imagine kiddos trying to fly off that playing Superman/ Superwoman, Peter Pan, etc.

Re: cicadas-- surely that's abt the only things they're good for, i.e fish bait & cherry-sparing bird food. They creep me out big time! I don't mind the sound, but the years where they cover every blade of grass--yuck! And apparently I live in one of the "biggest crop" areas for the 17 year types.
The last time I ordered some head coverings from a Mennonite lady, just to keep them off my head & neck when I was outside. Next time, if I'm not in the nursing home by then, I'm staying inside. Period!
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8638918

We have 7.25 acres now and don't use at least 4-5. We never could afford a tractor or large critters so it's just sitting there. Honestly, I think we could be happy on 3 or less. So long as there is room for the kids to play sports and me to have gardens, it's perfect. It would be nice to have a big enough house for everyone to spread out and also one that I felt comfortable inviting people to visit.

No way we are getting that house. It came up on a search I was doing. It would be perfect though.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8639224

Chele, don't say "never". Things happen that we don't expect, and it doesn't have to be bad things all the time!

I think I have contracted sleeping sickness. DH left early this morning and turned my phone off, and Mr. B and I slept till 10:30, have been sleepy all day, and wanted a nap, but resisted that. Eyelids are closing already, so won't be long until I am back in bed again.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8640142

I'm not going to die if I don't get that house. It would just be nice. :)

I sure wish this weather would make up it's mind. It gets dark and sprinkles then brightens back up. Then it thunders and gets breezy then brightens back up.

I got out yesterday and got a bunch done. I have three islands and the sign circle garden ready to mulch. I figure the plants can hold their own just a bit longer while I get the gardens pulled together and cut my weeding time.

Craig is looking for a piece of tubing to fix my weedeater. The gas line keeps getting little holes in it. I can't tear any more off as it's barely long enough to reach the motor now.

I can't honestly say I'm thrilled with this little Mantis tiller. I've used it like three times now. I do a better job edging with a weedeater and/or shovel than the edger does. The only good part of using it, is to get between plants but I don't do that much of that. Every time I till near longer grass, it gets stuck in the tines. It's also a bear to start. It took me and Carly about 80 pulls total to get it running yesterday. Ugh.

Bonnie, I feel for ya. I have been staying so tired. I go out and work and work and even if I get to bed at a decent hour, I just don't want to get up. Of course I've been waking up a few times a night to go to the bathroom, then another time or two to kick the dogs out of my room or my bed. They've decided they like the fan in my room and my door won't stay closed...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8641087

Got two more islands weeded and trimmed today and most of the pond garden, instead of mulching. Can't wait to declare it all done. I have plenty of plants to fill in empty spots and several daylilies to move around.

I guess I'm talking to myself today.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8641108

I'm here, just don't have anything to say.
Wait a minute, what I did today, pruned & tied 2 rows of tomatoes. Cultivated all the rows in the garden that are mulched with plastic. Dug some ground & planted beans. (Digger fell apart, so go see the blacksmith.) Watched the Twins baseball game. Hooked up the Woods mower & trimmed all around the garden & some areas behind sheds.
Helped candle eggs & pack them. Now I am loafing. This was Fathers Day ?
Bernie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8641174

Well this was the worst Father's day that we have spent in awhile. First overslept, because the electricity was off. Jump up get dressed in the dark, as it was storming, no makeup for me, no shave for DH and get to church on time. Probably looked like we had crawled out from under a rock. Came home after church, no electricity still. So went out to eat. Came home,and DH had the second church service, so I was going to grab a nap, but no, company showed up. So either rushed to death, or my plans got foiled. Blaah.

Chele, tell you a little secret about the Mantis, tie a knot in the starter cord, and it will start better. Just a little extra umph is needed to pull that cord all the way out., or at least that worked on mine. I have he neatest edging tool, and we use it all the time. Does a great job.

Bernie, yep, you really loafed today!!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 19, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8641202

I'm here, too. I planted the trellis I made for the morning glory Should have gotten a better one than Heavenly Blue seedling. I put up some stakes for the tomatoes and planted some beans, finally. I checked the water table, getting higher every day. Third inch of rain raises in an inch. Planted the horseradish in a container to see if I can get some straight roots.
I talked to 3 daughters when they called. and watched the golf until the very end when the power went out. Missed the 18th hole.
BTW, I fed the mosquitoes. If they keep up, I'll need a blood transplant.
Herman
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8641364

I'm here too. Went to Louisville over the weekend. What a storm!! My mother's electric went off and on, but stayed on. My daughter's went off and stayed off..and I don't know if she has it back yet. We came home tonight. Looks like we got some needed rain while we were gone. Got appt with my knee dr tomorrow. From what I have heard I think I might be better off if he would do a knee replacement for me instead of over a year now of this and that. And not much better ever. There's no way I can get down on my knees and plant. I gotta bend over for everything. Then there's my back..lol..
Judy
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 19, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8641475

Judy, I have had both knees replaced, a year apart. I had it done the last week in Feb and was ready to push the lawn mower by Spring. Two points; 1st make sure the Dr has done a lot of knees, and 2nd, six weeks before the operation start a "pre-hab" exercise to strengthen your quads and hamstrings. It will cut your re-hab time way down.
Good Luck, Herman
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 20, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8641816

yep, Father's Day was a wash. Literally. They got to market and lost the tent before they could get the weights attached. They did only a third of the usual business it was raining so much. I actually had some help to do some weeding and it was raining until noon when I decided to send them home. No sense in paying someone to stand around and watch it rain. Then of course the sun came out and I was able to pull weeds all by myself. At least it's rained. Now if it'll just dry out enough to plant some more beans and squash. Give me a week and then rain like this again. Probably not.

We've bought a food concession trailer. DH is set on selling our beef as hamburgers at the markets. Just have to see how this goes. He's got to get some stuff done to it and get all it's permits. He's in charge of this. It'll be interesting to see if it's up and running before the end of the season.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8641944

Judy, I have had both knees replaced at the same time..and would never have done it any other way! I didn't want to go through it a second time!
I had had 3 back operations before that...and that made a believer out of me!
Of course...I'm sure the back operations are what made the knees go!
Herman... I had a really good dr...but no pre-op excercises. I agree...that might have cut down the recovery time!
I get down on my knees now, Judy, wearing builder's knee pads and using a kneeling bench. Mainly the kneeling bench is to help me get back up though!
All that is with drs approval.
Chele...the weather was/is the same way here...dark, rainy...then sun...then more rain...grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Boys came for Father's day. Oldest son grilled for me in the rain! Nice of him!
It was very sunny at 6 am this morning..now it's dark n cloudy. Hope I get to work outside today!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 20, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8642395

Marcy, my right knee was fine until about 5 months after the left was replaced. At least it didn't bother me. I had fluid build up on both knees before replacement. I exercised at the gym regularly after 1st TKE. Had my 2nd knee straight before I left the hosp. 3 weeks for the 1st. I also had epidural for 2nd knee. That was great until stupid internist thought I needed insulin..Got dizzy. I thought it was BPV, so insulin continued until I got home. Know better now.
I have a pinched nerve in my back from breaking my pelvis 24 years ago. That can still effect my right knee. Also arthritis in my back from that. Limits my activity. Cold packs help. But I am still active in spite of all the complaining I do.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8642400

It's raining. Ugly, dark, thunder and lightning, raining. I think this is God's way of telling me to clean the house and put my laundry away. If I have outside work to do, I have an excuse. Can't hardly mulch in this so...guess I'll play on the computer for a bit. LOL Then again, our electric will probably go out. Maybe I should find a nice Lifetime movie to watch and work on my room...

Craig is supposed to interview AGAIN, this week, to see if he can get the job he has permanently. You know, the job he's been doing since November...maybe they'll hire him this time. Maybe we'll sit around and wait for their "answer in a week or two" to turn into another month of sitting here, impatiently waiting, while Kroger (the company that gets half of his pay back anyway) decides if he is worth hiring. grumble

Bonnie, I'm really thinking about returning the little tiller. I could pay a house payment with the money. I'm just not impressed with it. In the daylily beds, I had to use my 6HP rear tine first, then go back with the little one. It was nice for getting between plants but not for busting ground. It just bounced all over. It doesn't seem to have the power my Bolens did. Unfortunately those are not well made. After a season, they seem to need something repaired. I had two different ones. Same issue with both. I swear the best tiller I ever had was my 5HP Craftsman front tine. I could do anything with that one. Parts were easy to find and install. I used that one for probably 5 years before I had a problem with it. I used it until I killed it!

I really should get up and do something. There is a lot of *something* to do. I lack motivation. LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8642464

Amen on the motivation! I have plenty to do...lots of things to shorten or hem...that I've been putting off...and here I am!
On another note...the sky is brightening...very quickly in fact! Could it be????????? OMG...it might be!!! That 3 letter word...SUN! Shhhhhhhhhh...I didn't say it out loud!
I know some folks that work for Kroger...and they are saying that Kroger is trying to get mostly partime help...so they don't have to pay benefits?
And letting a lot of the full timers go? Grrrrrrrrrr!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8642503

Well, this is the IT Dept. Craig works in the part that keeps the pharmacy software and hardware up and running. They are still hiring. Many don't stay. They spend a lot of time and money hiring through contract companies, then still hire from outside which means training more people and not hiring them. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Most work 4 ten hour days. It's just dumbfounding that they keep hiring from outside when they have trained contractors sitting there doing the job...

I guess I'm headed in to clean my room. Maybe I'll put the valances back up, that I took down when we were going to move. Really haven't settled back in to living here. Morganne just put the stuff back in the cabinets the way we originally had them. We still have a lot of stuff in boxes in the garage. The last few years have been sort of surreal. Guess I better pinch myself.

The gardens are getting to be what I wanted them to be. I have less to take care of with the daylilies gone. I still have a ton of plants in and around the greenhouse. It's all just sort of weird.

Guess I'll go move back into my bedroom. It's a mess. I have clean laundry piled everywhere. If I could afford some construction materials, I'd double all the closets!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 20, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8642545

Chele, clean laundry is no problem. I have dirty laundry all over the place. Can't get a washer until the basement dries out. Only wash what I need, when I need it. Some I just throw out.
My little Ryobi "cultivator" has worked fine for a number of years. It doesn't work on new ground. I have a front tine that is so old it has a sliding pull under the carb for a choke, but it works.
Even if the sun is out, everything is so wet, even pulling weeds brings up a bushel of soil. Humidity is higher than the temp. Off to the gym that has AC.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8642669

Herman, the amount of clean laundry is the issue! It's not just mine, but hubby's and Nolan's too. If I'm lucky, the girls do Nolan's closet (formerly known as the linen closet). They do it all by size and season. Kristenne did go in last week and sort mine and hubby's by type and such. I just never got it put away.

My neighbor wanted to do a bunch of gourd birdhouses. Sweet Esther brought me a bunch of gourds for him. He never took them. I cleaned them all and lined them down the desk that I moved into my room. It was my dad's. It's the only thing I got when he passed. I decided to move it back out, sitting in the kitchen right now, drawers on my bed. I can't part with it, just can't find the right place for it. I keep my sewing machine, clothes that need mending and all of my ribbon hair good stuff in it. I only work on those in the winter. The gourds, I will paint or stain and use for my own enjoyment or gifts or something. I don't waste anything. Actually, I seem to stock pile it! I want to do and can do so many things but just bore easily and jump from one thing to the next. We just need a bigger house, more space. I could easily sit at that desk and complete things like a maniac if it was in a main living space. I don't really like being off by myself.

It's still ugly and overcast so it's keeping me in but not so productive...guess I better get back to it!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8643569

Is it my computer but is the format here a little different? Just noticed it today.

It rained here early this morning, a right good storm, about and inch and a half of rain. Then it cleared off, and about noon the sun came out and as Herman said the humidity was higher than the temp. Anyway it was steamy outside.

I had a do nothing day. Not because there isn't anything to do, but because I lacked the motivation to do any of it. I did go to the bank and post office this morning, and came home and cleaned the kitchen floor, and other than that, I can't name another thing I did. Cooked supper, and cleaned the kitchen. Oh, I did give Mr. B a bath today. He really needed it. Then a ride for him after supper. I did a few things at the cemetery while he was running around. Our flag is fastened with some metal snaps, and one of those broke. I found some wire, and fixed the flag temporarily until I can find a snap to fix it permanently.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8643618

They decided to move the "navigation box" to the left side. There is a post on the DG forum. Seems it is not very popular. I personally don't like it. I kept trying to scroll to the right before I figured out what was going on. It appears that the right side is cut off. It's not. It's just missing the line on the right.

I worked on my room. I did not get all the clothes put away as I started ripping them from the closet and packing winter clothes.

I asked hubby to see if he could find a sweeper belt on the way home. The one our vacuum uses is often hard to find. grrr
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 20, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8643675

We have a store called "Tinker Jacks" I just googled it and only found Akron, but it may be franchised. I needed a belt for an obsolete vac I bought at a yard sale. He had one and gave it to me. Probably thought mine was the only one left in captivity and he'd never sell it.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8643797

LOL Herman! Mine is not all that old. It's just a pain to find belts. Kroger doesn't carry them. Walmart does but hubby doesn't go near one going to or coming from work. The nearest Walmart is 12 miles each way. I didn't need it *that* bad. We lucked out. Hubby does pass a Meijer store which is about 20 miles from here. What do you know? They had them!

Our vacuum is a Eureka. This model has the worst belts ever! They are supposed to be long lasting. hahahaha They are very thin, kind of like a reinforced piece of vinyl as opposed to the rubber type you normally find.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8643977

I wish we could get more rain here. It stormed and rained Saturday. The ground was so dry and hard, we need more. We had 50 per cent chance and it didn't rain. Today another 50-60 percent chance, we'll see.

My bone doctor gave me a shot of cortizone in my knee. He asked me how long those seem to help. I told him a month. He had given me a series of this other shots 10 months ago. I told him that lasted about 3 months. He said he can only do that once a year and it hasn't been a year.I said what good is it to go through the pain of those shots (and trouble cuz he is 45 minutes away...once a week for three weeks) and it lasts 3 months. What do I do the other 9 months!! Before that he had done small surgery to cut off torn cartilage. This has gone on for a while. He says come back in a month and we'll' do a MRI to see if something else is going on. I said what about a knee replacement. He said no, not yet. I said why. He said they don't last forever. I said how long. He said about 30 years. I said I am 63 and have Leukemia. I don't plan on living 30 years. He said come back in a month. and that losing weight would help because I also have arthritis in that knee.

I have one of those benches too and used them to mostly get up. But I can't use it now. I can't put weight on my knee now. There's no way I can do my regular gardening without feeling like I am standing on my head. Plus it hurts to walk most of the time. I need to lose weight, I know, but I can't walk very far. No way can I use a tread mill.

Herman and Marcy, how were your knees that you had to have replacements?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 21, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8644096

This will tell you all about the change on your pages.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189505/
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8644124

Judy...like I said before, I had had 3 back operations first. My whole spine is fused..have the rods n all. My back had started hurting ..lower back...again. I went to my ortho dr...and he xrayed my back...said..it looks fine...then asked..have we ever xrayed your knees? I said noooo????? So he did that!
Well..you know how the xray techs dont tell you anything?
Mine whispered to me...come here..look at these xrays! They were both..bone on bone! She knew...cause her hubby had just had the same thing!
When the dr saw the xray...he said..there's your problem now! You need new knees! I had no clue before that! Ohhh..yess..they were sore a lot..but I just thought that was old age...lol...and being on them so much.
Actually...I had had so much pain with my back...and was so used to pain..it was hard to tell where ANY pain came from..if that makes any sense!
Anyway...I LOVE my new ones!! And my knees not only feel better..they look better too...lol.
I had those cortizone shots in my back...before surgery...yeah..they help..but like you said...not long enough!
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8644283

Marcy, They told me I have bone on bone for almost two years. Well, we'll see. Thanks for the info.

I am leaving today to go to a Casino for a few days with 7 women in the family. We are going to have a ball...and if we win, that's even better..lol..
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 21, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8644402

Marcy, I agree you notice the worst pain first. When that is gone, the next in line is waiting.
Judy, my knees were bone on bone with fluid build up, at least 50ccs every 3 months. Sounds like you had the "rooster comb" treatment. (Series of shots.) I rejected that. That would indicate arthritis which would show up on simple x-rays. Your Dr may be looking at something else with the MRI. You are young I was 78 when I had my first knee done. Cortizone eases the pain, but wears away the cartilage. Not for long term use.
Stay away from treadmills, they are for cardio. Worst thing for knees. Swimming is probably best, next is biking and then rowing. They flex the knee without putting pressure on it. Ellipticals are somewhere in between. Hope this helps. BTW I fired the first orthopedic Dr that my PCP recommended. Just didn't feel right. Took the advice of a friend and it worked out fine. Some Drs don't like to be questioned, but the ultimate person in charge of your health is YOU.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8645937

Well, I only ended up getting one garden mulched today but it's one garden more than I had mulched yesterday. LOL I pulled 4 wagons full out there (17 cu ft) and it needs at least one more. I had to stop to take Morganne to volleyball. I was going to go back outside for a bit then shower take Carly to her softball game. By the time I got back from the first run, it started to lightning and thunder and the rain quickly followed so I didn't get back outside. If I was sure I wouldn't lose a few liters of blood, I'd go do it now just to say it's finished. ha!

From the looks and sounds of the weather radar and reports, we are supposed to get slammed again tomorrow, worse than today! I just wanna go outside and play! Even worse, Carly was supposed to have a game every night this week and one on Saturday. Now they are talking about double headers two nights. That makes it rough when the games don't start until 6:30 pm, it gets dark at 9pm and they are an hour from home.

I got bit in the forehead by another stupid deer fly. Nolan got stung in the foot and so did Carly. I made some baking soda paste for Nolan and had to put it on my head to prove it didn't hurt. Strangely, the large knot went down to nothing but it feels bruised. At least I know what makes the swelling go down. This is good sense I often sprout softball sized welts from the )&$#(*# flies.

Judy, I wished I had known you were going gambling sooner. I'd have sent you $10 and a prayer. bwa ha ha I really hope you have a great time. I hope that when you get home, you will get some good answers to get your knees cooperating! Now that you are retired, you know you have to work twice as hard outside. LOL

I guess I best get to bed at a decent hour tonight since I have to get up at a reasonable hour. I'm supposed to meet Judy/tabasco tomorrow for one of our covert plant deals. *grins* Hey, if she wants to tell me what to grow for her, I'm more than glad to do it!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 22, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8647992

Bonnie, are you all still there? This weather is a concentrated mess in Louisville. They've been under tornado warnings for almost 3 hours. Hit Churchill Downs and was also heading in the Eminence area, close to Bonnie. We're waiting to see if it makes it to us.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011

Post #8648018

Janet, thanks for asking. We have had nothing so far, but we have been watching the tv coverage, seems it is heading in our direction. Our warnings are until about 10:30.

Went to the grocery today, and OMG, thought I would have to take out a loan to get out of there. I hadn't really shopped good since about a month ago, and having DGD here has really increased the food bill. But I was out of everything, sugar, flour, shortening, corn meal, you know all the staples.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8648031

Wow! You guys are getting hit rough.

My 17 year old called the softball field to let us know a wicked storm was headed our way but it didn't show up. We had a few flashes of lightning and it got cool and windy but blew past.

I'm waiting to hear from a friend of mine. She got a call while we were at the softball game, saying her son took an elbow to the mouth and needed to go to the hospital. Two hours later, he was STILL waiting to see a doctor. The closest hospital to here, leaves a lot to be desired...

I finished mulching the first bed today and got about half way through the second. I worked the whole time in misting rain. It wasn't too bad. It's so nice to see my gardens start to look like gardens. It's even more satisfying that it isn't costing me anything!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 22, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8648133

Things are quieting down. Now the flash floods in Louisville. When Churchill was hit DD#2 put a call in to one of the folks down there that buys feed from her telling him if they needed any help or needed anything to let her know. He called back saying that was the first time anyone had ever called him to offer help at a time of possible trouble. How sad is that?

Didn't get anything done today. Spent the night with my father in the hospital. Diverticulitis. He's been in since last Friday. He'd hoped to get to go home today but his white blood count was still up so they're keeping him. They're also giving him lasix so I was up and down with him last night going to the bathroom . Neither of us got much sleep. I did get some trim to the cabinet folks so they can stain some more of it for me. I need it to go around a post in the kitchen. I've got mirrors for the trim guys to put up as well as a few other things to take care of. I want to line up several little things that I've noticed so they can do them all at once and maybe make it a day since it's a hour's drive for them. The kids did get some beets pulled this afternoon so I can get some pickled. So far the beets look pretty good. I hope they stay looking that way.

Nite all...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8648169

No bad storms, just rain, thunder and lightening. Our tv is by satellite, as well as the internet, and it has been on and off since about 10:00.

Janet, how sad, saw some of the tv coverage about Louisville. Sorry about your dad, hope he gets to go home soon.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8650767

I think I'm going to have to start drinking de-caf iced tea. I'm totally chipper & awake, & have been up since---, uh, yesterday. Big Sis's dog-- the blind, diabetic one, has pancreatitis again, so we're trying to juggle her medicines & get her feeling better. I finally got the screen curtains up on the porch. Seems like I've done a lot more than that, but it must have been piddly stuff.

I'm taking notes on the knee surgeries, Herman & Marcy. I've had one knee repaired, after I broke it in '94. I fell down a flight of stairs and landed on my left knee, which instantly dislocated. Oh my, I hope I never do that again! It took a couple of weeks for them to figure out that I'd actually fracted part of my knee, not just dislocated it. Ouchy!

Oh: in other doctor news, I had my yearly oncologist visit, & everything looks good, so I'm good for another year!
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8651068

Excellent new Pat! Must be all that good karma that you spread around. :) How many years have you been free?

Sorry to hear about your knee and the dog. :( That is the little dog we met at your house right? I remember meeting a little dog and thought she was either blind or deaf.

Not much going on here. Trying to make up all the softball games so we can get to tournaments next week, which I think will be a waste of time and money. From that aspect, I think it will be over quickly. Too many girls don't show up and don't bother to try when they are there. It's been a really rough year for Carly. Her coach has made her cry the last two nights and that is no easy task. She's good and she tries so hard but she should not keep getting punished for the rest of the team. Because she is so good at everything and so smart, everyone expects more but she can pretty much only drive herself. Nitpicking at her just drives her downhill.

Other than running, I've just been working outside. What's new?!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 24, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8651132

Chele. the thing that would motivate the other girls would be more boys as spectators. LOL

Pat, when the cartilage goes it's time for titanium. With minimal invasive surgery, the pain is lessened. I was off the vicodin in about 2 weeks. Mostly for sleeping after the 1st. One thing that I have found, increasing the muscle strength around the joint lessens the pain. My right shoulder was really hurting last Nov. (Diagnosed as advanced stage arthritis in 06) Had a cortisone shot that helped, then I de-stresssed my life and started to exercise. Within a month I stopped pain meds except rarely for pains elsewhere. Enough "organ recital" for today. Garden club picnic this evening. Making brownies. Hope they don't leave too many for me to eat. At least I wont have to worry about low blood sugar.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8651200

LOL Herman! That would not motivate my 13 year old but some of the other girls...sigh. Mine takes her sports very serious (while wearing eye makeup) but when on the field, she is there to play. She'd rather kick their butts at a sport than date them. Once the game is over, that is a whole other thing. Some of those other girls would likely take a ball to the forehead trying to be cute for the boys. *grins* Some of the boys to ride their bikes to home games. That leads to other girls sitting with them and it's just plain distracting.

It's a strange place where we live and maybe it's the same everywhere? There is a huge turn out for boys games but not so much for the girls and they are every bit as good!

Honestly Herman, I love the way you take care of yourself! I think it's great that you go to the gym, keep an eye on your sugar and work so hard to keep up your girlish figure. :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8651226

Good morning, it started out as overcast but the sun is out now. I have been doing some bill paying, but now need to head out and do some planting and weeding. I got the front bed all weeded yesterday. It is 30x6, and the weeds were thicker than hair on a dog's back. Also weeded the little shade garden, it is doing well but not picture ready just yet.

Oh, Chele, i am so sorry to hear that Carley is getting so much flack from the coach and other girls. I thought these teams were supposed to teach, sportmanship and skills, and the emphasis not on winning. Well, what else is new. I think it is the coach's ego that gets the most benefit rather than the participants.

Pat, you all seem to be taking good care of the ill dog. Thank goodness, I have not ever encountered a pet that needed that kind of attention, but if I ever do, I will do my best to keep them comfortable through whatever illness.

Herman, make a small batch of brownies, if you truly don't want any left over, but if you are secretly hoping for leftovers, make a double batch.

I made some zuchinni bread last night, and pitched in 2 bananas that were over ripe, made up a new recipe, and it was delicious.

Chele, I know it is too soon for Craig to hear from the interview, but am keeping you all in my t & p's.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 24, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8651603

Chele, look at the difference between men and womens basketball at the college and pro levels. I think the women are much more entertaining. They are more about the team than the stars, especially the Uconn women. I'mnot sure about my girlish figure. It's not just my waist, but I think my boobs shrank, too.
I think the ants will need little umbrellas for the picnic. Forecast for rain the whole time. Does anyone think I would make brownies from scratch? Only thing I add is the nuts.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8651671

Running through real quick. Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8651674

Maybe too close to the same image to make a difference. It got away. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8651718

QUEEN SNAKE
Regina septemvittata
Length 15-24 in.
(38-61 Cm.)

The decidedly aquatic queen snake prefers slow moving or shallow rocky creeks and rivers, where it feeds primarily upon soft-shelled crayfish.

These snakes are frequently seen and captured by overturning large flat stones, boards, or other debris along streams. When first captured, some attempt to bite. However, their teeth are so small they can barely pierce the skin. Others make no attempt to bite. All use their music glands freely and struggle violently to escape. Although they become gentle with handling, they seldom eat in captivity. For this reason, they do not make hardy captives
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8651744

At least that sounds like a fairly friendly one. LOL

I'm not sure about the ID though. This one does have the lighter underbelly but that one stripe is straight down the center of it's back. I do think you might have pegged one that Craig has been seeing though. He said it's somewhat plain and 'olive drab'. What a nerd!

Both do live near the pond. I'm not sure if I've seen the one he saw or if it's not this one but his description was certainly different.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8651761

Close up of face.

And I'm sorry Lou. I could have said thank you!! Things going on, racing out the door...back in a few.

Thumbnail by Badseed

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8652278

Python? Cobra? Anaconda? LOL, I classify snakes as Big, Little, Scary or Cute. I have a lot of classification systems that are all my own, like my 4 major food groups of Sweet, Salty, Crunchy, and Cola.
Yes, Chele, it's the same dog. She's diabetic, became blind, & then had her eyes removed. She actually seemed a lot better after the removal surgery, because they had been infected & irritating. The vet tried to talk Cathy into fake eyes, but that was just ridiculous. She's a tibetan terrier, so her eyes are covered by her bangs anyhow. She still thinks she can see--- like she'll go the window and peer out, but she's really adapted very well. When she gets really sick, though, DS goes into denial & insists that nothing is wrong, which means that doggie is sicker when she finally gets to the vet. It is not going to be easy to draw the line when she gets worse permanently, though. I may have to insist on a doggie DNR order.

Well, off to weed. I have so many of those huge prickly weeds that I should turn them into a cash crop.
Pat
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8652427

Hi!

Ribbon Snake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_snake

bye!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 24, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8652484

Today was an absolutely lovely day. The only thing I needed more of was customers. We did get a lot of weeding done and the daylilies are absolutely gorgeous. I was hoping some folks heading to the regional would stop in but I guess that wasn't to be. Got some mowing done and hopefully we'll get some more done tomorrow afternoon.

DD somehow thinks he's still going to get a commercial kitchen in our house. I honestly don't see how but whatever.

Dad's still in the hospital. This diverticulitis doesn't seem to want to let go. His white count is still high and they're not letting him go home until it goes down. Pumping him full of antibiotics.

Better get back to my blackberry cakes. Market calls...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8652688

Janet, are you having your open house this weekend? I may try to come over late tomorrow afternoon. This is going to be a busy weekend for me. Have to get DGD all packed for her trip to Wisconsin. She leave on Sunday, the DH and my DTS and her DH are going to Gatlinburg on Monday for a few days.

Chele, I do not do snakes, at all! I don't care if they are "harmless". that being a relative term. Harmless ones can still give me a heart attack.

Pat, I am sort of like you with my classification system. Just seems to work better for me than someone else's.

Herman enjoy your potluck.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8653054

Pat, I like your 4 food groups, too much, obviously. LOL

Chele, no clue what kind of snake, just keep it there!

Gayle, it's nice to see you, how are you?

Bonnie, what are you going to do while your Hubby, sister and her hubby are in Gatlinburg? I'd probably read and watch whatever I wanted on every tv in the house.

Not much going on here, was without internet from Monday to Yesterday, the storms we had Monday took out the router, and it took them that long to send a replacement. My computer decided it was going to die yesterday after the new router got here, so hubby took it to be repaired today. Even though the kids computer is newer than mine, I like mine better.

Waving to all!
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8653146

While in Tunica, MS we saw the TV weather in Louisville about tornadoes and roofs blown off horse barns. Most of my fam lives in Louisville. Scary!!
Seven of us went to casino.. two of us came back with more money than we left with...wasn't me..lol..Chele, save your $10..lol..the machines were not that kind to me.. I did win some, but lost it right back. You know how that is. I didn't see any big winners. My daughter and I roomed together. We had a great time. A lot of laughing..Everything was lovely. Several of us got in the pool and played volleyball. That was great fun. I wish I had a pool at home.
That shot in my knee is helping me walk a little better for right now. I know it won't last long. We'll see. Now I gotta concentrate on losing weight after three days of over-eating at free buffets at the casino...whew!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8653290

Melissa, guess I typed that wrong. I am going too! The vacation car doesn't leave here without me. Sorry about the computer and router. I have been having problems too with all the storms we are having.

Judy, wish i could have been along for the casino trip. I usually don't do well at the slots, but have a lot of fun.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 25, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8653307

Open gardens are through the middle of next month. The field is really pretty right now. The kids got most of the weeds out yesterday and the only really weedy part is the old stuff and I mowed a lot of the weeds out of that yesterday.

Another wild market morning. We had two of our helpers that couldn't make it to the Lexington market this morning so we moved one off the Frankfort to go to Louisville and called in another person that has helped out before in a pinch. This left me with someone to help at the garden. That also left my 16 year old with the box truck. This is a good sized truck and while she's been moving it around the barn lot she's not taken it out on the highway. I told her I would ride in with her and help her get parked so I rode in with her and my helper drove my car in. She did great but while we were unloading her truck my son called and told me that the girl that was to go to Louisville with him told him that she just couldn't do this job and she quit. So that meant jumping in the car and flying back to the farm so that my helper could go with DS to Louisville. I'm not sure what the problem was with the young lady but I am sorry that she felt that way.

I've seen a couple snakes in the daylily patch this year. Not wild about it but I guess I'll live.

Dad says at least two more days in the hospital. White count won't go down.

Off to do daylilies...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8653400

Wow! Y'all have been busy!

LOL@ Herman and his girlish figure. I feel ya on the upper extremities. Those things always shrink, grow or sag at just the wrong time in life. :P I like to watch the boys but I love to watch the girls. The ones here try so darn hard! We have a good group of kids but unfortunately some of them let their social lives dictate everything else...That is the best thing I can say about Carly-no problem focusing on what is important. The kid has goals and sticks to them.

Judy, get yourself one of those Intex Easy Set Pools. All you need is a flat spot, water and electric. They are not to expensive and you can drain it and put it away in the winter. We had one for years! Like Herman said, swimming would be good for you! Oh, I'm sure won me money and lost your own. hahaha

I already knew about Melissa's computer. Ugh! I can't stand to be without mine. I still have a dino monitor on my desk still. Hubby still didn't get a new capacitor for my flat screen nor fix it.

Bonnie, sorry you have so many issues with your internet. I don't know what to tell you to do! We had cable at my mom's house and it went out every time we got a storm.

OMG Janet! Do you ever get an easy day? Do things ever go right?? You really are going to have to try harder to find us a house down there or get Craig in where you work. LOL I have three teens that mind well, that know how to cook, bake AND pull weeds and more importantly, they WANT TO WORK! At least your gardens look good! That has to count for something. :) I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Hopefully that will straighten up soon so you can spring him. I'm sure he's not happy in there.

Well poo! Craig's company party is at Coney Island tomorrow and he just found out they need him to work at the dollar store ALL DAY! So now we either have to miss Coney or I have to take all the kids. Neither Morganne nor I have a bathing suit so I may have to go find us one today which won't be quick or easy as there is nothing close to here. The other thing is that I have so much to do here and will have to give up both days if we are going by the time we shop AND go. If you remember, Craig missed his December party too because he forgot to ask off at the dollar store. geesh.

Guess I better get running!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8653416

Oh, Chele, I wish I could get rid of my tenant, and you all could rent/buy my house where we used to live. She is close to being evicted, she is two months behind on the rent. She did come last night and pay the June rent, although it was due on the 4th. If Janet ever gets moved, she will have a house too. I would love it to have you so close. The good thing about the property is that is has about 1/2 acre garden, and good rich dirt. Rather have you than Dusty, or the one who sold me the tupperware, can't remember her name.

Good luck on finding a bathing suit this time of year. Good gosh, was out the other day, and winter clothes are already finding their way to the racks.

We are packing DGD's things to get her ready to leave tomorrow. I want to go to Janet's daylily open house, but if I get there it will be later this afternoon.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8653535

I'm surprised you've put up with it this long Bonnie! What is the point of renting to someone that doesn't pay?? You still have to cover taxes and insurance. Ugh. I'd love living close to someone that would visit or that I could visit. I rarely go anywhere or do anything unless the kids planned it!

That was the one thing I hated when I worked retail-we never had anything for the season we were in!! By the time someone needed gloves, we had bathing suits. When people needed bathing suits, we had winter coats. Good grief! Target did go to carrying bathing suits year round. I guess they finally figured out it was a nice supply to have on hand. A lot of people vacation and take cruises in the winter!

I'd love to go to Janet's!! Right now I have to figure out how to get a couple of bathing suits. LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 26, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8656429

Dad got to come home today. What a relief as that meant I didn't have to spend the night at the hospital. Sounds rather selfish but he's more comfortable at home and so am I. I dug daylilies Saturday until I was too tired to wiggle. Not as many today but I was pleased taking into consideration the wet and early morning rain. I need to get up there and get pictures of the new stuff. I'm having trouble finding some that I"ve planted to get the markers on. Course trying to find some of them out there is like trying to find a black angus cow with no eartag in a herd of 10,000. I should have put in the locations and tags when I planted them.

The kids pulled beets last week and I had them wash them up and cook them while I was in the daylilies. Washed jars too. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the beets in some jars and get them back down to pull some more. I need to be some of the fabric mat down between bean and cucumber rows. If it dries out I guess I'll take a day off from work to get some work done!

Better go grease pans so I can bake tomorrow. Later all!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8656527

Glad he got to come home!!!

Chele, I'm anxious to hear how Coney was?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8656542

Just getting here for the first time today. Had to have DGD to the airport at 11:00, she was all packed and it was just a matter of logistics getting her to the airport. She had never flown before, and the airline (Southwest) gave me a pass to go to the gate area with her. That really releived her as she wasn't sure she could navigate the airport. Called me from Baltimore before I even got home, and then when she got to Milwaukee. She said flying is awesome! That was a worry to me about flying, the rest is just fun for her.

Janet, I never got the chance to come over yesterday. I had company stop by, and when they left, knew that you would probably be gone. I am coming to see the daylilies, even if it is after your open house, and the designated times. I have 4 new ones this year, and they are gorgeous. One was a little disappointing, but love the others. Think I duplicated one, but still haven't had a chance to get out my lists and see. Sure glad to hear that your DD is finally home. Sitting at a hospital is so tireing. Guess because I spent so much time there with Wayne when he had his accident. Anytime you need extra help with the daylilies, call me, I would be glad to come help out.

Chele, I will be on the lookout for a good place for you all. That is if you are serious about finding something else.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 26, 2011

Post #8656593

Bonnie, did the Hal's Pink bloom for you? Mine are just budded, be at least another week.
Herman
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8656677

Chele needs to be closer to me, not further! >>> Slapping Bonnie's hands.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8656712

No Herman, no show from that one yet. I haven't given up on it though. It is looking good foliage wise.

Melissa, ouch, now that is not fair, trying to hog Chele all to yourself. Maybe you just need to think about moving too!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8656764

Bonnie, if I ever move, it will be to South Carolina, Georgia or Florida...within a couple hours drive to the ocean with warmer winters than we have here. LOL That will happen as likely as I'll win the lottery.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8656923

Maybe we should buy up a big chunk of land somewhere and start our own town, Davesgardenton, or something. That would make the garden consultations, visits, & swaps so much handier, LOL.

When Josh was little, he spent a long time on a pre-sleeping ritual of building his own estate-- verbally, of course. He'd describe the rooms, build a new wing every week or so, & talk about what playground equipment he wanted for the yards. Too many of the rooms seemed (to me) to be dedicated to video games, but there were also creative touches like harbors and waterfalls. One night he said, "Mom, we don't have a giant bubbling volcano!" So he created one, and then added a fort to protect from any pirate invaders, "the kind that were around when Gran was little."
I know that all adults seem ancient to little kids, but I had to bite my lip at the vision of my grandmother, born in 1908 in Appalachia, flapping her apron to shoo away the pirates.

So Chele, wherever you & your family end up, may it be safe, loving, & well protected from pirates. (I would actually avoid anything in the neighborhood of a giant bubbling volcano, but that's just me!)
Pat
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8656930

goshsmom wrote:
I know that all adults seem ancient to little kids, but I had to bite my lip at the vision of my grandmother, born in 1908 in Appalachia, flapping her apron to shoo away the pirates.

I just sprayed my monitor with water that had previously been in my mouth, Pat. Thank you for that visual. :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8657039

Melissa-Ohio and goshmom

I'm already down here scouting a place out for yall. LOL

Now granted, we moved down here from Sagamore hills due to loss of jobs (and I wanted to finally move back home and be closer to aging father) but I'll tell ya it could never get hot enough down here to ever make me want to be back up in snow... NEVER...

so when yall are ready just let me know as I've found several places that just might work.

(oh by the way, I'm just 2 miles drive to get out on Palma Sola Bay. Our rented house is just blocks from the bay and we have the most wonderful breeze coming in from the bay. Now we are starting to get into the hotter days, but morning and evenings are just wonderful here. Plus not to mention all the sun shine. Every morning on my way to work, I have to wear sunglasses and I thank God that I'm back in Florida and that I have a job again.

Come on down.

Jan
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8657738

Jan, I'd go in a minute! Hubby is firmly rootbound in Ohio.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8657808

You got one of those too, huh, Melissa??!!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8657947

Yes Marcy. I'm lucky to even get him to step foot off the property except for work.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8658246

Hmmmm..well Dave isn't quite that bad...lol. He does like to go places...but they have to be close enough that he can get home to his own bed at night!!
He certainly doesn't want to miss his bed!!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8658587

I think I'm just going to watch House Hunters, & daydream. Even if I'm stuck--I mean, located, in Cincinnati, I've had the chance to live in a bunch of different places (do you hear me, Portland & Cape Elizabeth Maine?) and I still like the snow. Plus I still run into people that knew me in my previous life-- the one before age 30 or 35-- who'll tell me a funny story about one of my parents or cousins, which helps me feel grounded.

I just got inside from pulling weeds. I feel like I'm doing things I should have done two months ago. My garden should be ready by September!

Pat
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 27, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8658699

Picked my first red raspberries today. I didn't think they were ripe until I was cutting the grass near them. Three whole days w/out rain. Doubt we'll see 4.
I have a daylily that looks like a Stella, but is 4" across. Have no idea of its origin. Buds are fatter and it bloomed about a week later I don't even know if it has a name.
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8659871

goshsmom wrote:
I just got inside from pulling weeds. I feel like I'm doing things I should have done two months ago. My garden should be ready by September!

Pat

Oh Pat, you and me both! I've been so busy just pulling weeds and I still have more plants going in the ground - I'm usually done with all this by mid-May at the latest. grrrr...

salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 28, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8660479

Experiencing computer problems. May be gone for awhile.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8661218

Hope you can get it straightened out soon Herman. Being computer-less is no fun at all!

Sorry, I've been MIA. Staying busy with the mulching, mowing, watering, growing...Then I come in every night to a house that is completely trashed. And it stays that way. I'm too tired to care.

Softball tournaments start Thursday. Double elimination. Only 8 teams and you are out as soon as you lose twice. I guess games go until the 12th and guess what, they are all at Peebles so close to 50 miles each way. As much as you hate for your kid to lose...

Never did get the pool up. :( I don't mind working and I don't mind being hot but it's much easier to swallow when you can at least cool off.

Craig got turned down again for a full time job at Kroger. Those people are idiots. I'm about ready to take my grocery money to Walmart or Aldi's or anywhere else. This time it only took them from Friday to Monday to tell him. This time they blamed it on attendance. He was late one day for a doctor appointment after he had given them a weeks notice and they scheduled around it. The second time he was late was on the 16th when we had a water line blow out. Then last week, he was 1 minute late. ONE MINUTE because of road construction. Late three times since November and he gave them notice for the first one. He blew them away in the interview and they were really impressed but because he has an "attendance issue", they won't hire him on but maybe in another 30-90 days...whatever.

I'm stressed. I just keep going outside and plugging away. Eventually it will get better or it won't.

The one good thing, is being able to look out there at the four gardens that ARE mulched and finally, after 6 years of living here, look like REAL gardens!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 29, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8661568

53 pints of beets last night in the jar. The kitchen is pink all over.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8661788

I like beets. I think I'm the only person in my house that likes beets. LOL
denises_garden
Williamsburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8662244

Hey All,

The snake is an Eastern Garter Snake - pretty common in our area.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern_garter_snake.htm
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8662505

Thanks Denise! Nice to see you!

Hey, you actually don't live too far from me. :)

Finally finished the last island by the road. Two to go. Would have more done but I took the time to sever off a bunch of rooted Yellow Twig Dogwood. That sucker was out of control! I bought a red one a few months ago to put in the garden across from it. Hope it looks neat when the red catches up to the yellow. They frame the pond garden and my sale sign.

Just had another load of mulch dropped. I think that was the sixth truck.

Gotta run to the store for necessities then probably come home and eat and pass out. I'm beat.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

June 29, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8663133

I'm back, but don't know for how long. Trying to build semi-raised beds. Edged with clay dug from hole I hope to drain yard. 5 days without rain and more coming, Picked a qt of raspberries today. Have to cut new growth to find the berries.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8663158

Nice to see you Herman!

Yum! Raspberries. My 2 year old loves them!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 29, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8663229

Lady stopped at our antique shop today. They just moved from SE KY to southern MN.
Her husband couldn't find work there & somehow got a real good job here. Don't know all the details. The town they are in is about 4000 people.
DW could hardly understand her because of the accent.
Our strawberries are going great guns in our waste high beds. Sure fun picking them!

Sounds like you are set for a while with wood chips.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8663365

ROTF about the accent!

Sure wish I was picking those strawberries! Sounds really good!!

They did not end up dumping the truck today but said they would next tomorrow. I've gotten the three islands out by the road mulched as well as the round garden where my sign post is. There are two more islands behind the first two and the pond garden that all still need finished. Right now I still have a mulch pile about double the size of my car. I picked up a fertilizer today that is 24 on the Nitrogen and you put it in a hose end sprayer. I'm going to use that to water and see if that keeps me from having a problem with the wood chips. So far everything looks fine but that could quickly change as the wood breaks down. There is also a lot of green in there so I'm hoping the leaves breaking down along with the wood will keep everything happy. The gardens sure look a lot better.

Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and work on the two middle islands. I have a lot of extra plants and I'm making sure I plant at least one of each of my sale plants for me. I'm going to put a bunch of castor beans and sunflowers and a few Mexican sunflowers and whatever else in those beds. I was going to get rid of the islands but lucked into more daylilies from friends so I'm filling the center with odds and ends and putting the new daylilies along the outside with the ones that are there.

In the meantime, we are still looking to move from here but also trying to get this place pulled together.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8663369

Bernie, If they're from SE Kentucky, I'm probably related to them!
I weeded more & more today. Tried working with a weed whacker but it aggravated myback too much. Now I'm back to crawling around, yanking, mulching, & Preening. I really do need to simplify for next year.

Pat

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 11:57 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8663839

LOL Pat! When I would travel north, they told me I talked like a hick and when I traveled south, they'd tell me I talked through my nose. I guess in Ohio, we have a unique accent all our own. I'm bad though, I tend to pick up accents really fast. I don't do it intentionally but it happens.

NOW, I have another load of wood chips! Grumble grumble. They came at 8am, knocked on the door, sent the dogs running through the house barking, then dumped. LOL

I'll have to take a picture of this pile so you can all laugh. This is one time I'm glad that I have not made a dent in my pile of work. ha! Whatever I don't use, can sit there and rot. You can never have enough compost. :)

Gotta run!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8664047

too bad girls, as it is beautiful down here and I'm mighty blessed to be back. Although I did love it in KY, very beautiful, but summers are too hot and the ice isn't fun.

Jan
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8664434

I was walking out of Lowe's yesterday and a guy had a shirt on that said BRADENTON really big on the front. I was trying to think why it sounded familiar and I told the kids that is where Jan lives and they said "Who?". Ha! Another DG friend...

Running late as usual. Have to get Morganne to volleyball, run home and get the rest of them ready to go to the softball tournament game. Sigh.

Got the two islands tilled and started putting in sunflowers, Mexican sunflowers, Miscanthus Gracillimus and Buddliea Nanho Blue then remembered I left the castor beans soaking in the baby pool. Just as well, I gotta get out of here!!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8664781

badseed

great choices on the plants, they are all winners in my book...

I know I talk to my family and friends about DG friends all the time, I think behind my back they think I'm crazy...LOL

Jan

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 30, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8665049

You can keep up on worldly news better here than TV!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8665175

LOL Jan. When I talk about DG, my garden friends, my daylily stuff...half the time their eyes glaze over and they wait for me to stop talking so they can get back to what they were doing.

As for the plants, I'm using a lot of filler plants that I have in excess while I make up my mind what to do with those last two beds. You can always move a plant. :)

Seriously Bernie! I usually learn more here than I do on the news!

Just got home from the first tournament game. Bad, bad game. Missing two girls again. Annoyed. We have another game Wednesday. If we lose, we are finished. We'll be missing at least two for that game too.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8665248

I baaaaaack! Did you miss me?

We went to Gatlinburg for 4 days, and surprise, got home about 4 today, and I have already gotten the laundry done. Knew I had to, as DGD comes home tomorrow, and I will have all her clothes to do.

Good to see you all, and will once again be back in the old groove(that is spelled RUT), in case you need spelling lessons. Just give me a day or two to get my gardening legs back!

Herman, pretty daylily, and If I were going to guess, I would say Miss Jesse.

Chele, see if you can use the leaf blower and blow some of that mulch down to me.

Janet, this will be the first year in ages that I won't have beets. We planted early and they didn't come up, planted again, and the monsoon got them.

Good to see you Pat and Jan, Melissa and anybody else I need to speak to.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8665270

Glad you mentioned mulch! I took pics today!

This is what I have left after doing four gardens. Three of them are about 200 square feet each, maybe larger.

I left the butt of my car in this one for scale. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8665278

Here is a shot from one side, including my male mulch model. LOL Not sure what he was doing.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8665299

The other side of the pile. He was mesmerized in this photo. Out at the road, one of the tree trimmers was up a tree, cutting branches and we were watching them swing down. He's been totally fascinated watching them climb trees, go up in buckets and then coming here to dump trucks. What more could a boy want??

Most of the crew is Mexican and the trucks all have New York plates. We've talked to quite a few of them and also two other guys that work the trucks. Most of them do not speak very good English so it makes for interesting conversations. LOL One is from Dayton. I have to remember to give him some castor beans tomorrow. I'm not sure where the other man is from. I guess he didn't tell me. That's about as much cultural diversity as we get around here...

I need to go out and take a photo of the back of the property where they've been clearing. It's amazing! Wish it was all mine.

Thumbnail by Badseed

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8665363

Hehe, Chele, that is not hard to figure out. In the first pic, he is scratching his head, maybe pondering what to do with that pile of mulch. In the second one, he has made up his mind, and is giving directions of where to take it!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8665370

LOL He probably does have ideas!

He and Carly got one of my big 5 gallon pots and made a mix of grass from the mower and mulch. Not sure what they are going to do with it but they made it.

I LOVE this seedling!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8665389

Found some new plants in my pond a couple of weeks ago. Wondering if Ric or Lana shared. LOL I have a bumper crop of duck weed?

Thumbnail by Badseed

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8665413

The pile has grown!!

Bonnie, glad your trip was good.

Is that pond weeds or pond plants?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8665425

Ha! The pile on the right is new. I already killed a pile in that spot and they just refilled it yesterday. They are coming back tomorrow with more.

It's a cute little floating plant. I've had them before, over the years and they've always died out. I just read that they can be invasive in Ohio??
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8665427

Oh nice... you don't want invasive do you?

Hopefully they'll keep bringing it to you! and hopefully there's not a bunch of poison ivy chopped up in it.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8665431

I've never had a problem with it before. And there is little danger of it hitting a major waterway unless some bird moves it.

I've already moved about 20-25 wagons of the mulch and had no ill effects. Me and all of the kids except Morganne have stood on the pile and raked it and shoveled it and aren't eaten up with itchy bumps so we'll see. I know my driveway is full of it and a bunch of it came from down the drive.

You've never seen a bunch of men and trucks clear out quicker when 4:45 hits. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8667143

Here's our very PG house ? cat.

Took Grand daughter to her swimming lesson today. Last one for this year. She passed to the next level so very excited. They got to go off the diving board for the first time. After once there was no stopping her!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8667148

This is her in her dance outfit. She turned 8 in early June.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8667662

Awwww...kitty is soo pretty, but not as pretty as the grandaughter! I have a grandson that is 8...hmmmmmm!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8667812

What a cutie Bernie! Bet you two had fun!

Pretty cat too. We had one that sort of looked like her. Her name was Cookie. She had babies then she AND her babies when to live on another farm. LOL

I got the rest of the plants in yesterday down the center of the islands then mulched that keyhole of plants. Then Carly tilled me a bunch of holes down the back side of both and we put in daylilies. I still have several more in pots and other that need to be moved out of the old beds.

Trying to get everyone motivated and showered so we can get to the Northern Mecca.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8667982

Have fun Chele.

Bernie, cute pics, but I have to choose the DGD over the cat!

Just been out surveying the gardens. Funny how they change when you don't see them for several days. Have broccoli that needs to be cut.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8668260

mulch model is too cute as is your grandaughter Bernie.

Love the four legged as well.

We are finally getting some much needed rain, and it comes and goes so there is a good soaking in the ground.

Jan
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8668732

Thought that I might need to prove I'm doing something other than complaining this year. Here's my Endless Summer hydrangea. It's 5 or 6 years old & continues to produce huge multicolor blooms with little coddling.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8668736

This little planter has clary sage, fiber optic grass, and a peachy-rose trailing verbena.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8668740

The red & purple bloomer here is cuphea "firecracker." So yes, I've got firecrackers for the 4th of July.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8668747

Here's what most of my beds look like: flowers obscured by vines & weeds. So I've got balloon flower getting ready to open, daylilies, northern sea oats, silver lace vine (it doesn't get interesting until fall), and sow thistle and bindweed.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011

Post #8668794

Hehe, Pat, think we all have beds with the additions of mother nature. The old saying, a weed is just an unappreciated flower for some, just weeds for others.

Belive me most of my weeds are just that! Weeds! Pretty flowers BTW
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8669378

Great Pat!! I just know you don't have as many weeds as I do!!!!
I will never catch up to them this yr!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011

Post #8670121

No, MArcy, I bet I'm the winning weed grower of the year--- I just didn't take pictures of most of them!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011

Post #8670547

Went out late this afternoon and took some daylily pictures. Will post a few a day for several days, to keep from clogging up the thread.

DS and his SO came for lunch today after church. Enjoyed the visit, but I usually have a Sunday afternoon nap, which I missed today.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

July 3, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8670647

Back, but just for a bit. Spent 2+hours drying to download Avast last nithe before it conked out. Tried again today file is corupt. Talk about invasives, add Heritage Raspberries to the list. I think I picked about 1.5 qts today, lost a pint of blood to the skeeters. Still trying to trim the new growth back. going to check the other thread before this conks out. I need a new computer, copyright on this is 1996-2003 if that means anything.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8670720

I am dead. Got another 2 dozen daylilies in the ground, more castor beans, more other stuff. Finally tackled the pool again and found two more holes. Carly likes the Mantis. It hates me. :( Potted about 150 tree seedlings. Out of money, out of time, trying to hang on...Won 2 daylilies at the Northern Mecca. Another great holiday weekend spent at home. :(
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8670733

Chele, took this picture tonight. Recognize it?

Thumbnail by defoecat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8670736

Another one.

Thumbnail by defoecat

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8671524

The first one looks like Double Pompom. Did you get them from me? Or are you trying to get IDs?

We caught the snake yesterday and took pictures. I guess it's not quite as long as I thought but it sure is fat!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8671529

We let it go after we took pics. We had a funny moment though. Jazzi was holding it and it spun it's head around to bite her so she tossed it and jumped back. It was laying on the grass, kind of moving around and one of the girls screamed and Nolan went to run away. Unfortunately my long shovel was stuck in the ground and his swimmie got caught on it. He was trying to run and was stuck to the shovel and he was crying and I was laughing but trying to tell the kids to set him free. It wasn't funny but it was funny. Kristenne picked up the snake again and Nolan was set free and everything was fine. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8671629

Sounds like more fun than going to the zoo!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8671825

My life is a zoo...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8671947

Chele, that is Double Pompom, and I got it from you several years ago. It is doing well, and one of my favorites.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8672014

And Bonnie, the obedient plant you gave me is starting to bloom and looks lovely.

Wish I could find my Gardeners hand lotion. My paws are definitely looking like I've been working.

Hope everyone is having a crackin' 4th of July!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8672585

Pat keep a close rein on the obedient plant, contrary to it's name, sometimes it isn't!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8672829

this is one gardener who hates and I mean hates snakes, I don't care how good they are for my garden!

I love obedient plants, but they do spread rather quickly, but when you love them it isn't hard to let them get carried away...

Jan
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8673227

Yea, Jan...like I love Gooseneck Loosestrife...LOL! Have to say..it IS beautiful in a large patch!!! And so is Obedient plant.!
I don't mind snakes, mice...but ohhh how I hate spiders!!! Yes...I know they are a good 'bug'...but not to meeeeeeeeee!!!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8675232

The obedient plant is very well behaved at this point. But I have some gooseneck loosestrife that is taking over the world! I love it in a big patch, and it lasts a good long time in a vase, too, but it does tend to get unruly.

I spent yet another day weeding and mulching and weeding and mulching and... you get the picture. And there are still 3 beds to go. Tonight the only bed I'm hitting will be the one inside!
Pat

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8676351

Oh Pat but isn't it a great feeling when you hit the inside bed after a day of being out in the garden.

Jan
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011

Post #8677071

Went out with a neighbor for lunch today. She has finished her chemo treatments, and has been declared in remission, so we were celebrating. Good Mexican food. DGD went too, and we both wanted no supper, so got out of fixing that, except DH had me boil him 2 ears of corn for his supper. We will make up for it tomorrow.

Jan, you don't have to be tired from gardening, sometimes when I am on vacation, and at the end, I am wishing to be home to sleep in my own bed! No place like home, to quote Dorothy!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8677215

Guess I've been missing again.

Mailed out three boxes today-close to 60 plants.

Did a second till and added composted manure by my bedroom window so I can plant some things that smell good blowing in my window.

Moved a couple of poles so I can put some moonflowers out by the pond.

Tomorrow I hope to finish dropping the daylilies into the holes Carly tilled so I can mulch the last two islands, then all I have left to do is the pond garden and it's a big one!

Just got in from Carly's softball game. They won! Carly had a triple and a home run, came home with the ball she hit. She also did an awesome job catching and lighting into her team when they fell short. LOL

The pool is up and filling. It's about half full. That is what I did the last two days. Hopefully it will make it through the summer and next year will be a better year! Sent my tiller back today. Just didn't really enjoy it. For whatever reason, it was a pain to start. They suggested that I take it to a Honda dealer to have it looked at. I told them it was brand new and that I shouldn't have to drive 30 miles to have it serviced. Of course once I called them for a pick up, I tried it another time or two and it started right up. Grrrr. Oh well, maybe I'll try again another time.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8677810

Chele, was that a Mantis tiller? If so...we have one...and it's ALWAYS been hard to start too! Never liked it for just that reason. I wanted to take it back, but Dave wouldn't. Guess he rather liked fighting with it. Oh well.
I feel ya on that pool. I filled my hot tub...and a short time later it was almost empty!
Seems it is leaking where the pipe goes into the motor thingy.
Guess I will call the company and see what they have to say...since I can't seem to get anyone to look at it around here.
I didn't use it at all last year, because I couldn't get in it...read that...(climb over)...this year I can. Sure would like to use it again!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011

Post #8677875

Yeah Marcy, it was the 4 cycle with the supposed 'easy start'. I put it together, put in oil and gas, primed it and it started on the first pull. A couple of days later Craig used it, same thing. About 2 weeks later when I needed it, I tried, kids tried, some 80 pulls later, it finally started. We had the same thing the next time we wanted to use it. Both Craig and I tried and tried several days ago, same thing. I got it started used it a couple of minutes, turned it off, couldn't get it to restart. If you get a long piece of grass or weed or anything wrapped around the rod that holds the tines, you can forget it. I had to keep taking off the tines to get whatever greenery out of it. All in all, it was great on an area that was already cleared or already tilled with the big tiller but that kind of defeats the purpose. The problem starting it, was the biggest one for me. If my back is already broken or my hand is already sore BEFORE I start working, that's not good. LOL

Do you let the water out of the hot tub in the winter? Did you blow out the lines? You may have a crack in a manifold or maybe it's just loose somewhere. Did you try to google the brand and model? Often people have already complained about the same thing and will offer ideas for fixes.

I've been awake on and off since about 8am but just finally forced myself to roll out of bed...Hope my coffee kicks in so I can get busy. Got a lot to do and have to decide where to start. Carly has practice tonight and again tomorrow morning if she wants to go. Tomorrow is optional.

Y'all keep cool and don't work too hard.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8679276

Good evening! Have been busy all day. Took my older DS to a Dr appointment. They had told her last week that xrays looked like cancer on the rib cage. Today, blood tests were good, no cancer indicated. So she goes next week for a CT scan, and then a couple days later to a hematologist/oncologist for more extensive blood tests. Just keep her in your prayers.

Chele, My Mantis does the same thing with me, but DH can start it on the second or third pull. Don't know what is wrong with me and it. I just thought my arms weren't long enough to fully pull the rope out, and probably not enough umph too!

Janet, are you swamped with daylily orders? Sure hope so, and you don't have time to drop in! Just checking on you!!

Herman, you got a computer that is working again?

Will be home all day tomorrow, I think the first day this week, and I bet it rains, where I can't get out and get anything done!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 8, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8679682

I'm here skimming though but not taking time to get thoughts together to say something.

Hands are hurting some. I can't decide if it's carpal tunnel or what. I suspect it is. I know it doesn't like me typing right now. If it keeps sprinkling this morning I think I'll can those beets that I have in the cooler. Better get it done before they go bad.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 8, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8679779

Just got through cleaning the kitchen. I'd sifted out six batches of bread and measured out frozen strawberries to thaw last night and apparently a racoon pushed through the screen in the kitchen window and made it look like a bomb blew up. Knocked over a bottle of oil that I'd inadvertantlly left open, knocked over all the flour and strawberries and tracked an oil and flour mess all over the counters. I still have the floor to do. I've mopped up the strawberry juice and flour off the floor but it's probably going to take a couple scrubbings to get it half way right. Now I have a screen to fix and am probably going to have to start closing all the kitchen windows at night. GRRRRRRR!!!!!! WIth the fans going in the BR no one heard a thing last night. If I had I'd have blown a hole in the side of the house last night because I'd have sent him to racoon H***!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8679885

Ohhhh my gosh Janet!!! What a mess huh???? I can imagine!
I never have given it a thought that they would come through the screen!!!
He must have been hungry!
Ahhh Chele...mine is a two cycle. We thought that was why it was so hard to start! Glad we didn't get the 4 cycle when it came out!
Well...we got some much needed rain last night...AFTER watering all evening!
It's off to the grocery today for me...yuk. Don't much like that chore!
Then a 21st. BD party for a little girl Dave worked with at the store.
Smart girl too..she goes to college in Florida...studying to be a marine biologist. She certainly has her head on straight!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8679919

Janet, what a mess. I would never have imagined that they could climb and come through a screen. Maybe the smells coming from your kitchen was a good indication that is was a raccoon restaurant. Hugs, hope you get the mess cleaned, and the screen fixed!

Raining here, just as I expected. The first day I have been home this week, so looks like it is inside work here today.

edited because I thought it was Chele that had that mess.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 11:32 AM
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

July 8, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8680235

I guess it was the strawberries that did it. I usually put them on the kitchen table to thaw but last night left them on the counter.

This is a day for naps. I wonder if I can fit one in here in a bit.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8680813

Thankful for the rainstorms that came overnight. That was one less worry for me today.

Not so thankful for the way the rest of the day has gone. Craig called me 30 minutes after he left. He was doing 60 up the highway, 3 exits from work when his rear tire blew. After he looked at it and called me back, it didn't actually blow, the whole outside tore off. He ended up limping to the next exit. He waited for me to make some calls, find some tire places and go meet him with a can of WD-40. He couldn't put a spare on because it was already on the other rear tire spot. Ended up breaking one of the lug bolts off. Broke one off the other side when he changed it a few days ago.

I got there, picked him up, went to a tire place where they refused to put on the size that is on the front so of course it was $30 more than they quoted and an hours wait. So we drove down the road just a short bit and found someone else to do it right away for $4 more. He finally got to work about 4 hours late which means they will probably let him go. They don't seem to have real high regard for their employees or families. If they paid better or hired him, he'd have already had tires on the car. We just put new ones on the front about 2 weeks ago.

So, $203 (2 tires for him and I had to get gas) later and a whole day wasted, we are back home. He's at work. Of course his check will be 4 hours short again. Somebody does have a sense of humor. It's not me. When oh when are things going to get better? Some day I'd like to get on here and talk about what a great day I'm having or how good things are going. :(
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8681219

Aw, Chele, sounds like you and my DS would be a catostrophe together. He has about the same luck. Get one thing fixed, something else goes. I hate to say it, but IT WILL GET BETTER!

Since I couldn't work outside today because of the rain, did some inside cleaning. Took all the decorative stuff off the tops of the kitchen cabinets, and scrubbed them, and then cleaned the cabinet, got everything put back. Somebody told me to lightly put some furniture polish on all the items up high, and the grease wouldn't stick to them. Did that, so will see if that works. Makes sense, if there is no dust, then nothing for the grease particles to stick to. Seems like the washer and dryer have been going non stop all day. Seems the laundry has tripled since DGD has been here. Chele, I don't even want to think of doing the laundry at your house.

Tired, so I am off to bed in just a few.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8681366

Everyone's right, stick with it & it will be better.
We had very hot weather today, 5 employees working besides us & not one thing went wrong!
Very large load of veggies ready for Farmers Market tomorrow.

Hoping for a little rain, otherwise will start watering tomorrow afternoon. Some things getting pretty dry.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8681453

Just wanted to do a quick update on Isabella, the little girl with luekemia.This week marked the 1 year anniversary of her 2nd bone marrow transplant. Of course, the leukemia has already returned again, but she's had good results from the arsenic treatments. Amazingly, she is going home this weekend! She will continue to do some form of chemotherapy for 4-5 days during the week, but she'll be able to go home & sleep in her own bed every night. Thank you, Lord, for all your mercies (and please continue them!).

Getting ready to celebrate my DS Josh's birthday on Sunday & younger sister Susan's on Monday. Busy month for b'days here.

We had all sorts of wind and lightning & thunder last night, but only ended up with half an inch of rain.

Chele, it must seem like you are hanging on by your fingernails, and somebody is stomping on them one by one. I hope your DH's boss had some compassion & realizes that everyone has flat tires now and then. Sheesh!
Pat
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8681615

Some days it looks like things can't get any worse...then they do...
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8681693

Michele, you and your family are in my prayers.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8681727

Awe, thanks Liz. :) I talked to ginlyn a couple of days ago. LOL Did she say anything?

It'll either get better or it won't. We just keep plugging away.
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8681991

I haven't talked to Gin lately. We have had rain every day this week . Forecast the same for next week. So I don't need to water plants but need to feed them.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8682002

I found her on accident. LOL She liked a post on my Gemini Garden page and I had your last names run together and thought it was you. I am blond. :)

I have so much to do, I can't keep it straight. I feel like I'm running in place but someone has managed to get a lot of work accomplished out there.
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8682046

Gin is my sister in law. Love her like a sister. She lives in MD. Wish we could get together more often.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8682359

I have it straight now. LOL

Well, only 7 of our girls were willing to show up for the tournament game so we had to forfeit. I'm mad beyond belief. Carly deserved better as did the other kids that show up. Another depressing season for her. Ask me why I want to move...

I'm going back out to take out some frustration on the pool and yard. I did get a bunch of plants potted and planted. After I do a repair fix on the pool, I'm weedeating and mulching. I will make the best of this day.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8682765

I went out & put in some plants today, & just got eaten alive by skeeters & gnats. The more I swatted, the dirtier & sweatier & itchier I got. Not a pretty sight, I'm sure. I got in the bathtub to scrub off & wondered why they don't make benadryl bath salts? Or cortisone? I went to Crabtree & Evelyn yesterday to get some of their Gardeners hand lotion (good stuff), and they had all these smelly lotions,creams, salts, etc. Lilac or Rose or Mango-- they actually smell all the same to me. Definitely no eau de cortisone.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8682885

Pat had to laugh about the lotions and potents! I failed to comment on little Isabella. Good news that she has made it this far, and I am sure that she is a fighter and will continue to grow stronger. Still have her on my prayer list.

Chele, that is so bad about having to forfeit the game. I say if a child committs to playing, they should have to show up, and finish the season. It is more the parents fault than it is the kids fault sometimes. Might get in the way of their plans. That was the rule in our house. We didn't care what sports he played, but if he committed himself to it, no griping and complaining about practice, and he would always show up to play. Most times he played the bench, but that is part of it too.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8683735

LOL @ the cortisone Pat! Prayers for little Isabella. I missed that too!!

It's always the same Bonnie. Some parents raise their kids to think they are better than everyone else and forget to tell them other kids are just as good, even if no one is better... Living here in small town America, 20% of the town runs everything and the other 80% walks around ticked off. It's so nice. NOT!

The one girls that puts select soccer before everything and everyone else, decided to delete everyone on facebook that complained about missing the game. She didn't come to to the game, because she was at King's Island. In her eyes, if she says she has something else to do, she's excused from her commitment...Then her mother deleted us too. Not so hard to figure out what is wrong with kids values.

I do officially have all the daylilies planted, everything else that needed to be is potted. As soon as I come up with some 'dirt', I have a bunch to pot up. I'm about to tuck all the pots in beds ind mulch! I just worry they'll heave. Guess I'm back at it today.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8683926

32 years ago today, at this very hour, I was in a VW Rabbit, hanging on for dear life to the dashboard, going from Middletown to Oxford to have my baby at McCullough-Hyde hospital. ( I didn't want to give birth at the hospital that I worked at since I was afraid of what I might say during labor.) We stopped at Trenton so my dear ex could have his mother make him a thermos of coffee since "we don't know how long this will take. I got to the hosp. abt 1:15, & delivered at 3:52, after which my OB always called me "Speedy."
I thank God for my son, with extra gratitude for not strangling him when he was a teenager.
Pat

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8683962

I think facebook is going to end society as we know it. Everybody knows what everybody else is doing.

First daylilly I got from you is open this morning.

Asiatics are really putting on a show.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8683967

More.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8683971

And another.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8683977

Some Hosta's.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8683981

Last one. These are mostly Hosta's that came from Round Up's.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8684025

Happy birthday to your son Pat! And congrats on not strangling him!

Great photos Bernie!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8685190

Absolutely gorgeous, Bernie. And a good lesson in zone differences: my Asiatics have been done for two weeks.
We had a good day celebrating Josh & Susan's (my younger sis) birthdays. Susan was born on the 11th. We all went out to eat & then went to see the movie Horrible Bosses, which was really, really funny. There was a good crowd, too.

The only problem is that my air conditioner quit. It's not frozen, & I changed the filter. There's a distinct burned plastic smell outside, so I may end up needing a new motor. I hope I can get somebody to look at it first thing because I'm hot already. Hope I can get back to sleep.

Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8685969

Well, out of the frying pan and into the fire. They let Craig go. He just ran to the dollar store to see if he can get more hours.

Of course they let him drive all the way to work before they let him know. They said they tried to call him several times and the number was disconnected. They were calling our other house? He told them we'd not had that number in 6 years. I guess they pulled it in a background check or something and put it on file? No clue.

Apparently policy is policy. Everyone is upset about letting him go since he was a top performer but they can't do anything about it. My comment was maybe they should change the policy.

So...here we go again...
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8686011

Oh, for God's sake! Idiots! Now you really need to go see Horrible Bosses.
Idiots.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8686096

Is that a big box store by any chance ?
I hate them! Won't go to them unless I absolutely have to. I go to Lowe's only for planer blades. Could get them from the tool store, but it is 80 miles away.
We have a Menards, been here for 30+ years. We didn't need Home Depot & Lowe's.
There are bets going around who will be first to fold!
Then there is CVS drug store. Build across the street from Walgreen's. Look like they stole Walgreen's blue print. Any given time there will be 50 cars at Walgreen & 2 at CVS.
I don't go to either, our drug store in hometown is cheaper & more client friendly. Also work with our local clinic & hospital.
Another greedy big box was Rainbow Foods. Mankato already had 2 Hy-Vee & 2 Cubs. They build a brand new store & lasted about 6 months. Can't pay the bills with minimum shoppers. The building now houses an Aldi & small time appliance store & a furniture store. They all do well.

Jumping off the soap box!

Good luck to Craig in finding something great one of these days.
Bernie
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8686242

Kroger is our biggest grocery chain aside from Walmart.

They won't be getting anymore money from us. Right now they get about $1200-1500 a month from us. Make that until now.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011

Post #8686560

Well, Craig had a call from another staffing company a few hours ago. He goes to take an idiot test tomorrow. Oddly he already took the test at this same company a couple of years ago and interviewed too. Never heard from them. Maybe since he's going through a staffing company this time, it will make a difference. Who knows?!

If he could land a job right away, we might actually come out a little ahead. He still has two checks coming from the other job. Next month, we have back to school, car insurance and 4 birthdays. Ugh.

At least he doesn't need any darn tires for his car!! LOL Sorry. I needed a reason to laugh.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8686666

Hold that head up high & say "Come on World!"
I have a lightening bug sitting in front of my monitor. Picture, but I was a bit to close.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8686775

Good think Nolan isn't home. He loves light bugs. LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8687057

Chele, I am so sorry to hear the latest news. You have been busting buns to try to make a go of the nursrey and if Craig hadn't gotten fired, I was envisioning you both getting legs beneath you.

Well, as my DS says "this may be God doing what I am not able to do". It seems to work for him. You will all be on my prayer list, again, still, forever, whichever way you want to look at it.. I am waiting for the time that I can praise God for all that he has done in your life, and at how prosperous he has made you.

Hugs, sweet lady!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8687230

I second Bonnie's motion, although from the looks of the weather radar, you may be in the dark right now, Chele.

The a/c guy showed up on time, diagnosed the problem as a burnt out capacitor, fixed it & checked the coolant level & was gone in 15 minutes. Said he still had another 10 calls to make. It's blissfully cool inside right now.

Pat
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8687657

oh Chele..keep repeating.."What doesn't kill me will make me stronger."' We know you are a strong lady. One day all this will be behind you.

Pat, I am glad your AC is working again. Yesterday we were in Louisville for Bob's dr appt. The heat index was 116. I heard on the radio that was the hottest in the U.S.

I have such big weeds in my daylilies because I haven't gone out there in the heat. In the past it didn't bother me so much, but now ..whew..
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011

Post #8687731

I am of the opinion in this heat that if it isn't tough enough to survive our weather, I don't need it anyway. It is just plain dangerous to be out working in this heat. DH the idiot has gone to pick blackberries. I went out about 6:00 to get the paper, and it was already a steam bath out there.

I am doing some cooking this morning, and what is cooked will be both lunch and supper, as I ain't gonna have the stove going in this heat. Have a meat loaf in the oven, which should be coming out in just a bit, made some zuchinni bread (oven was already going) and cooked some corn and fried apples. That is it, Oh, I made tuna salad for lunch. Plenty of iced tea!
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8687783

My DH the idiot has gone to play golf. I called him to see if he was okay. Only 8 other idiots are out in the heat, so they will just play a few holes and quit beforte it gets too hot.

I am having BLT for mid afternoon lunch and dinner combined...lol.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8687824

Chele may be without power this morning??
My grandaughter had pics on FB of the damage in Kettering...looked like they had a doozie! I know we did...and we get it first here on the Indiana border...then it was heading Chele's way!
I also didn't see Chele on FB...and she usually is?
Yes...the heat is opressive here too. Guess I won't be doing much of anything today either!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8688085

I was just guessing abt Chele's power being out, because I was looking at the weather radar on my puter when I posted that. We got exactly nothin' here. So my flowers are sagging & they're just going to have to sag until there's a little shade.

Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8688612

Y'all were right. We got hit. The first storm was mostly wind and noise. The second storm was a ton of lightning, noise and finally a really nice shower. The anticlimactic ending was the electric going out. LOL We were down about 17 hours. It went down around 10:22 pm and came back about 3:30. Getting ready to go through the fridge and freezer and see what needs to be cooked and what needs to be pitched. Grrr.

Apparently a pole at the end of our road got hit by lightning. Not sure. The road was blocked until about an hour ago. There is about a 1.5 foot section of telephone pole attached to the wires which are laying on the ground. This probably means they will have to take the electric down again to put in a new pole. Saw some neighbors hauling away what was left of the pole. Folks here don't waste a good fence post. haha

Normally the wind comes from the south and hits the back and end of the house. Oddly yesterday, all the wind came from the north and was blinding and quite cool. It was nice since it came in the living room for a change. I never would have oriented the house this way...Really no damage here aside from some small branches down and 2 of my sunflowers bent. I staked them but still have more.

Hubby went and took his tech test today. He did well of course. Interview on Friday. Waiting to hear from unemployment. It's pretty much out of my hands. Guess we pray and wait.

Thanks for the support and thanks for worrying about us. :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8688949

Sad to report that SoCal lost her battle with cancer today. :(
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2011

Post #8689149

Chele, didn't know her, but am saddened by the fact that she passed.

We had thunder, lightening and wind, and about 20 drops of rain about 6:00 tonight. There is another line of stroms down about Evansville, and moving this direction,so hope we get some rain from that.

Sorry about your power outage, but glad that it is restored and things back to normal.

I didn't do anything but cook a bit this morning. It was already a steam bath at 6:00 this morning when I went out to get the paper. So no outside work for me, think it would have done me in.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8690493

Most of the people that I hold closest to my heart, are friends that I know on the internet. Many I've never met in person. That doesn't change the way I feel about them.

I just learned that WantabeGardener passed last month.

I don't know if it's sign that I've grown older or a sign that I've been a DG member for such a long time. I hate to see my friends leave too soon.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011

Post #8690929

It's so sad.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8691888

I am in slug mode. No idea why.

Craig has an interview tomorrow. Hopefully they hire him. He applied for unemployment. No idea which way that will go. He's supposed to get more hours at the dollar store this coming week, not sure if that will be ongoing or just this coming week.

The pool is up and running and holding water. We don't have a filter yet but do have the pump circulating water. At least we can cool off.

I guess I'm going to try to get off my butt and get something done. I have a lot to do outside and also a lot of ribbon stuff to make again...Now I just need an energy burst.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8691929

Good morning, I have been out and weeded one large bed. Wasn't too hot when I started, but it was beginning to get steamy when I came in for a bite of lunch.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8691953

I agree Defocat, It was really nice outside when I started, but the breeze went away and it heated up real fast. I'm done for the day. I deadheaded and weeded all morning and I think I might hear a nap calling my name. Later, Lou
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8692073

I got one side of the veggie patch done, snipped 2 zukes and 2 yellow squash. Have a single 8 ball zuke about ready. Hey, it's something. LOL Going back out to mow down that side and mulch. Then I'm either going to do the other side or take a swim. It's warm but no unbearable.

You ladies take it easy out there!
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8692158

Chele, if Craig has 2 checks coming from his previous job, do you know if they have your correct address?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8692382

Ack! I really didn't think about that. When I pulled up his payroll, I think it was right on there but I guess that doesn't really mean anything unless payroll takes care of it instead of the company. I told him that he needs to call them anyway. They owe him 3 weeks pay and I'm not sure if it's coming as one final check to close him out or 2 separate checks or if they will just pay it direct deposit as one or two. I guess I'll get on him to take care of that tomorrow. His interview isn't until 1:30 but he has to be there at 1:00.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8692480

The good news is I checked the payroll thing again and they do have our correct address. The bad news is, after checking the pay dates and payroll dates, they only owe him 36 hours of pay. We had thought there was still three weeks after today's check but it's actually only 2 weeks and he was let go in the middle of a pay period so his next check is only for 1 week. Somehow mentally it does not make sense but when you look at a calendar, does. He worked 4.5 weeks before he got paid anything at all. But he started in the middle of a pay period then had to wait 2 more weeks for that pay. Now I'm going to throw up. Hopefully he gets a full week at the dollar store this coming week and gets that job tomorrow!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8692833

Chele, some places who hold back pay when new employees come in, it is paid on termination. So if that is the case, Craig should have pay coming from that.

I will be keeping Craig in my prayers tomorrow, and hoping that this job is the right one.

I weeded all morning, and then DS and his SO came by. I got a haircut in exchange for a tuna salad sandwich and chips for his lunch. That was a cheap hair cut!

Didn't go back out until after supper, then I watered everything. We really need some rain. I have one more bed to do tomorrow morning, but it is a small one. Glad that it has cooled off some, but the temps are creeping back up. No rain in the forecast until the first of the week.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8693331

I am so tired of weeding, mulching, "preening," and then repeating it on another bed. My garden is no fun this summer :- (
Hmm, I really sound like a 2 year old.
Nothin' new there!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8693568

Pat, I agree. I weeded one large bed yesterday, and told DH that I was mulching it again, or tilling it up. Lo, he went and got a scoop of mulch this morning, and it is already down.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8693934

Just trimmed up hubby's ears and neckline and sent him on his way. He left himself plenty of time to get there and had to be there 20 minutes early anyway. Sure would be nice if he got this job as the drive is half as far!!
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8694031

Sending positive thoughts for success...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8694079

Thank you! Thank you!

At the moment, I'm slightly annoyed. They told him they would schedule him 30-35 hours at the dollar store this week. He checked last night and it's only 19.5 hours. grumble grumble.

I haven't heard from him yet so hopefully it's a nice interview. I've heard that a good interview lasts 45 minutes to an hour...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8694099

I'm praying right now for a positive out come for him.

Jan
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8694155

Thank you. :)

They were 20 minutes late starting the interview. He's finished now. They said he should hear from them next week. On a good note, the pay is a slightly better than he was told and would increase fairly soon. Now we just have to wait. Not my strongest quality but what choice do I have? LOL
salix_man
Barberton, OH

July 15, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8694320

With all the bad things happening, I feel blessed. Best wishes for everyone.
I bought a mouse and that helps in controling this laptop.
I hope someone can explain this pic. Both plants came from the same clump of Hal;s Pink and yet the flowers are different. Will this follow through with side shoots. I had this happen last year with a different DL but lost track of it in the move.
Herman

Thumbnail by salix_man

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8694332

I believe you have a fused bloom. At first I thought it was a poly, but it looks like you have way too many stamens. You should have one pistil and 6 stamens. Sometimes two blooms grow together and open as one flower-fused bloom. Is the scape (top of the stem) kind of wide and flat?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8694340

Guess what?

HE
GOT
THE
JOB!

He doesn't start until the 26th but he got it!

They told him he'd hear from them next week. They called around 4pm. Woo hooo.

Thank you Kroger for cutting him loose! Walmart got our food dollars this week. LOL Not that I'm thrilled about giving Walmart money but at least it wasn't Kroger! hahaha
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8694366

Chele,

Fantastic news!!
Will he be working with computers in his new job?

This news calls for a celebration. :-)

Deanna

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8694408

Yeah!
New Thread!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196916/
salix_man
Barberton, OH

July 15, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8694642

Chele, congrats and thanks. Just checked, looks like 3 pistles and 12 stamens. The scape looks round and has 8 more buds. This is the first on this fan. Oh, one pistle was barren, no tip. Sorry if I don't have the right nomenclature.
see pic--this little guy jumped over a foot.

Thumbnail by salix_man

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8694724

Sounds like a fused bloom then. Most probably the rest of the blooms will be normal.

Don't you love the little frogs and toads? We have tons of them! The little buggers are great about laying eggs in any water they can find. We have a tree frog that likes to sneak dips in our pool. The other day we saw him/her watching us through a small opening in the top rail. I always thought chlorine would hurt them. Guess no one told them that...
salix_man
Barberton, OH

July 15, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8694873

I dug 2 "vernal pools" for them to breed in. The fish in the pond were eating the tadpoles. The algae killed the fish and this year the vernal pool was about 120 x 50. yes, we have amphibians.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8694907

I saw a little fellow out in my shade garden today. Out of the corner of my eye, caught some movement, and didn't see anything. I am thinking snake. When I saw that movement again, just stopped what I was doing and looked at the spot where I saw the movement. Took me a bit to finally see him, but he was sitting on a hosta leaf watching me! Bet he has other buddies close by.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8694929

I don't have to dig anything. The flat 7 acres of gray clay pretty much take care of it for me. LOL Other than that, I do have a pond, a lined bog and a bog. Then there are the puddles... We have frogs and toads everywhere. I try not to look when I walk.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8695513

Yayyyyyyyy for Craig!!!
I love those lil frogs n toads too! We have a lil tree frog that lives in the end of our swing set. Sometimes he just pops his head out and sits there.
Grandson scared him back in deeper yesterday though!
They sing us to sleep at night around here!
Today is Dave's birthday...72 yrs young...and still going strong!
Hope I am able to do that when I get his age!
He works 3 afternoons a week at the grocery...does all the mowing...cleans the house...digs any large holes for me that I need...helps me with whatever when I get behind...which is often...lol.
I try to get him to slow down, but he says it keeps him young and moving!
Yayy for him!
Having a cookout tonight for family and birthday cake! So I best get busy, since I still have to make that cake...Boston Cream Pie (cake)...his favorite!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8695587

Guess I answered my own question Marcy. LOL Check fb. haha

I have a couple of tree frogs that hide in my greenhouse. The only time I know they are there is when I mist. They start talking. Sometimes it freaks me out! One day I moved a hanging basket of Wave Petunias and was watering it when I saw a face looking out. Another day I was moving flats of tomato plants when I got shot with a stream. I knew I hadn't watered that much. I continued rotating flats and got hit again. That made me start lifting the 6 packs. I had three different frogs in there and they were peeing on me! hahahaha

I love to listen to the frogs here when there aren't many. But when it is raining or has just rained, there are so many it's maddening! We also have a giant toad that lives on the back porch or hides in the bush by the porch. The thing is so fat, I don't think it can hop! It walks! I've sat out there at night and watched him actually walk up to bugs and eat them. THAT is funny!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8696080

Go to new thread, please.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196916/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America