Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: How shade tolerant are Knockout Roses?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 11, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LadySnowblood
Huntsville, AL

June 10, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8622308

I planted a single red KO rose in a bed in front of my house around the end of April. It has only bloomed a couple of times and when it did, it was only a couple of shriveled up petals. Now I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps it just needs time to get established. If that's the case, how long should that take?

I'm also not sure if KO rose was a good choice of plant for that particular spot considering the amount of sun it gets. I am in zone 7b, the front of the house faces south, and only gets a few hours of morning sun. The rest of the day, it's shady. Even if KO roses are shade tolerant (or at least I thought they were), how much sun do they need to bloom?

I'm already thinking about replacing it with another kind of flowering shrub. I decided to wait until this fall, and if the KO rose still isn't doing anything, then it will probably be replaced.

BTW, I'm new to all this, in case you haven't noticed :) I obviously don't really know what the heck I'm doing. Help!
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8622544

Knockouts can tolerate some shade but morning sun only is probably too much. Move the KO and put in hydrangea. They love morning sun.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 10, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8622635

Welcome to the forum LadySnowblood! I have Knockouts planted in the shade and in full sun. The ones in the shade do bloom but they are scraggley and not nearly as attractive as the ones in the sun.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8647880

All my knockouts bloomed nice but I think the high heat and hot sun we had for a few weeks this spring boiled the blooms and buds. They all turned brown and died.So I cut them all off and am hoping for a new flush of blooms. Should I feed them again to help with new blooms?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8666992

Still waiting for new buds to form. I am surprised that the knock outs have not bloomed all that well this year, nor have they put out much new growth with blooms.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 1, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8667275

Mine have not done well this year either; I've been blaming it on the heat and drought. Most of my roses are a little puny but the Knockouts seem worse than most. (?)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8667447

I think the high heat of the sun we had so early burned the first buds, But I would think they would make new ones by now.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8675349

My roses are struggling this year also. The late winter ice storms damaged some canes. I had to cut back much more than usual in the spring. Some of the roses had a good first flush, some are still waiting to bloom. Repeat flushes are taking a while. I checked the pH, water, fertilize and hope they recover. My peonies barely bloomed this year, but the bushes are much bigger than last year. My lilies are doing great! I had my first oriental lily bloom yesterday.

We have lots of rabbits this year. They were cute until they started eating my flowers (and leaving the lettuce untouched...arghh). Winston the pug is a pacifist, unlike my beloved late Westie Tiffany, aka "the great white hunter." She was my favorite natural pest control agent, much more effective than coffee grounds. Winston may eventually get a terrier companion. At least my neighbor's semi feral cat likes to sit on my chair watching the bug zapper at night. He also hangs out under one of my rose bushes. Fine with me, he can hunt all the rodents he likes in my garden as long as he leaves the hummingbirds alone.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8675768

I put in a KO this year and I have to say I am underwhelmed. I don't see any exceptionality and it certainly isn't outperforming, more disease resistent or vigorous than any of my other roses. I think Carefree Celebration, Julia Child, Cinco de Mayo and many more of my floribundas and shrubs are just as healthy, repeat more quickly and are just as disease resistant.

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8682958

Mine, which are in whiskey barrel containers, are in full sun most of the day and love it. They had had lots of blooms in the spring and early summer; however, they are just now putting out a new burst of blooms. The blooms are small as they were during high heat last summer. My area in San Antonio has received no appreciable rain since November. We had enough to wash the dust off the cars in March. Does anyone know if I can fertilize my roses in high heat (100s everyday)? I did not fertilize them in February when I pruned them back. I bought some fertilizer supposedly made specifically for 'Knock Out" roses and it is supposed to not burn them; however, I am afraid to fertilize them now. Other roses develop black spot and other diseases here. The "Knock Outs" so far have not and have been the most vigorous roses that I have had.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8683520

I grow Carefree Celebration - a knockout relative from Radler the knockout breeder. It is a pretty coral rose. It is in a sunny but difficult garden location. It blooms and reblooms all season, while some of my other roses sulk. I also saw bright pink knockout roses in front of a shopping center. They seem to get no supplemental watering and little care, but they are always in bloom. I am hoping that the popularity of knockout and other landscape/shrub roses will encourage more gardeners to grow roses.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8683808

Carefree Celebration sounds beautiful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America