Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8623723

Virginia Creeper, Woodbine
Parthenocissus quinquefolia

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1695/

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chryan
Elburn, IL

July 19, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8701621

Has anyone been able to kill Virginia creeper by covering it with black plastic and leaving it covered for the entire summer? I also need to get rid of Bishop's weed (gout weed).
Norsk
Barron, WI

September 1, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8789264

I have watched this "vine" for the past 70 yrs. Recently I noticed it had died.. It had risen to the top of a 40-50 foot white oak. I took a chunk of it for a walking stick. It is 1 1/2 inch dia. and curled so it looks like a large snake. A forester just told me what he thought it was, a virginia Creeper, growing in cold, cold wisconsin

Thumbnail by Norsk

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8789988

chryan: The "Virginia Creeper" vine is so wild down here in the south, it would take a lot of black plastic to cover it ... and I still don't think that would totally kill it. The roots would probably just travel below ground to a place where there was no plastic and put up shoots. It travels along the ground, up trees and winds through our chain link fence. I cut it back when it begins to invade my flower beds or small trees that I don't want it to choke out. I love the pretty color in the fall.

Norsk: That is a nice looking chunk of vine and looks like it will be a beautiful walking stick!

Norsk
Barron, WI

September 3, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8791760

I am amazed it would grow to such a diameter and be so sturdy for a vine, in temps that get 40 degrees below...

Thumbnail by Norsk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America