Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: like a wild dill?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 19, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8624503

almost like dill but not pungent, wild relative? Im In Tehama County, Northern California

Thumbnail by leeannconner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8624513

Flower rules out dill or a close relative of it. Otherwise I have no clue!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 11, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8624552

Compare to Linanthus spp..
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8625025

Good call altagardener. I agree, I'm thinking Linanthus dianhiflorus

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?source=&parkid=&searchText=&allSpecies=&shapeID=1131&lshapeID=0&curAbbr=&lastView=default&lastGroup=11&lastRegion=2214&lastFilter=4&lastShapeName=&trackType=&curRegionID=2214&size=&habitat=&fruit=&color=971&sortBy=family&curFamilyID=®ionSelect=California®ionZIP=&curGroupID=11&lgfromWhere=&curPageNum=50

I live in Butte County, so we're close neighbors leeanconnor :). I've seen the same plant before in my area many times, it really does look a lot like dill! I find the http://www.enature.com/fieldguides very helpful in identifying the numerous local wildflowers. You can sort by flower structure, color, state, and habitat if you choose "advanced search." It includes many both native and non-native species.
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8625338

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Ogon, good to meet locals on DG! We have some incredible species of brodia and wild flowers especially as related to vernal pools in our pasture here in Corning. I cannot wait to start identifying them . I am checking the link now. and i have camera in hand... the pictures have inspired me to find out what they are. :-)
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8625838

We are so lucky to live in Norhtern California. There is so much natural diversity, it's truely amazing!
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8628813

Ogon, indeed we are lucky, if not blessed to be living here in Northern California. Ive lived in so many places and south america and the place i always will always call home in Northern Cal... we just moved to the place we have now... and its awesome to know we have a bit of the native loveliness/ biodiversity which is disappearing at an alarming rate... we hope to identify and preserve and propagate any rare or threatened native plants... this particular plant showed up in my corn field and i feel bad picking it out / weeding it.. until i at least know what it is.. and if need be... i will replant it. thanks for the great links.. very inspiring.
trkarpow
Knik-Fairview, AK

July 30, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8725842

I am SO glad to have found your picture of this plant. I have the same thing growing among my flowers up here in Alaska. I did the same thing as you. I have let it grow thinking it was some type of wild dill. Have you had any luck identifying it? I checked out those web sites listed on this forum and am very sure that its not any type of Linanthus. When looking through pictures of common weeds and flowers up here I have come up with nothing. The lady at the local nursery was not able to say either. Hopefully you have been more successful. I would love to be able to dry it and use it as a spice, but want to make sure that it is edible first.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 2:27 PM
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8728868

Cool! Trkapow.. our bunnies enjoy eating it... . lets find out what it is... i will look more into this tomorrow.. thanks for the message...

nonmember
Los Angeles, CA

November 17, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9335457

Spergularia sp.
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9335465

Cool.. thanks i will look into this... i think it does look very similar to the species... thanks!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9335522

Only 3 species of Spergularia are known to occur in Tehama County according to Calflora - S. bocconi, S. marina and S. rubra - and it is not any of these.
http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/specieslist.cgi?where-prettyreglist=Tehama&where-namesoup=spergularia&where-caltranslifeform2=any&where-native=any&rel-rarity=invalue&where-rarity=any&rel-calipc=gte&rel-upper_elev_ft=gt&where-upper_elev_ft=&rel-lower_elev_ft=lt&where-lower_elev_ft=&where-category=any&where-pretty_plantcomm=any&orderby=taxon

singhg45
Delhi
India

November 18, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9336508

I would suggest Spergula arvensis seeing white flowers and leaves several at each node. Leaves are generally opposite in Spergularia
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9337040

http://www.agroatlas.ru/en/content/weeds/Spergula_arvensis/

Yes, singhg45!
I really think you are right... So obviously it is not native.. .. I am very grateful to finally have figured it out.. It is not in season now.. as its an annual... I will confirm and review this again.. when i see it come back up...
thanks again.!
Altgardener.. thank you...i had a chance to review the spergularia in our area... now i know of more about our native species... very grateful to learn more... I want to do all i can to protect our natives. We have a pasture of 20 acres in tehama where most of the land is disturbed by agriculture...and our land is host to a number of vernal pools . We have so many native wildlflowers and interesting species just on our property that you dont find on the neighbors... so knowing more about our natives helps me in that endeavor to protect them and their habitats...
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 19, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9337100

Thanks dear Leeannconner
I have just checked 'The Japson Manual Higher Plants of Caifornia by James C. Hickman, the species is recorded from several places in California.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 19, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9337134

And yes although original Japson Manual (1925) recorded only three species of Spergularia, the revised Manual by Hickman (1993) records 9 species (11 taxa) from California: S. atrosperma, S. bocconei, S. canadensis var. occidentalis, S. macrotheca var. macrotheca, S. macrotheca var. leucantha, S. macrotheca var. longistyla, S. marina, S. media (S. maritima may be correct name), S. platensis, S. rubra and S. villosa.
Athough I am not very familiar with Plants of USA, but I am trying to learn about them (my area of study being N. W. Himalayas) in my last four short visits to Sunnyvale since 2008. Incidentally my last book Plant Systematics: An Integrated approach, published from USA (Science Publishers) in 2010 contains nearly 500 colour photographs and another 700 on CD ROM, majority photographed here in California.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9337173

If you are referring back to altagardener's comment, the statement there is that there are only three species that occur in Tehama county...not only three in the whole state of CA. So while you're correct that there are 9 species that occur in CA, only a few of them occur in Tehama county.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9337332

Thanks a lot ecrane3 for clarification
leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9337443

Thank you ecrane3 for the clarification.

Dr. Singh, I am very impressed by your knowledge and was astonished by all your published books and papers! I goggled you!. I feel honored that you should reply on the thread. :) N W Hymalaya study of flora, wow. that must be inspiring, to study such a bio diverse hotspot .
California and Hawaii are also listed as biodiversity hotspot. check the map
http://gis.tnc.org/data/MapbookWebsite/getimage.php?id=37

with the development of rural lands into housing projects, many species are disappearing quickly here in California. Ignorance and lack of interest in the protection of flora has also contributed greatly to their depletion on farms and ranch lands that get plowed for agricultural crops. We are still discovering how bio diverse california really is.. as we discover new species. For example in Sanfrancisco scientific station just in the past 5 years, 32 new plant species have been found.

I will message you with some nice pictures of California wild flowers and flora perhaps you might find interesting or could add to your collection. I also believe i have discovered a new species of orocut grass, considered rare in our area. but it is different. perhaps you could have a look. i will post for review...as soon as i get the picts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orcuttia

leeannconner
Corning, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9337444

sorry mis spelled that Orcuttia grass. not orocut grass.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America