Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Desert Rat visit to Washington

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 11, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8624868

I arrived on May 27th and returned home on June 9th.

I have never seen so much water in my life. I spent a week in Spokane with my son and family. We made a day trip to lake coeur d'alene. Sun was out and the landscape was beautiful. We were hiking a 2 mile trek near the lake when I took a fall and left part of the skin on my elbow in Idaho on the trail. Thank goodness we had a 1 1/2 year old toddler with us. Plenty of baby wipes. They work wonders on a bleeding elbow. Probably 10 minutes into the 2 hour hike but I made it to the end. I do know I got oxygen into the bottom of my lungs where it had not been for years. The wild flowers were exquisite.

Spent 6 days in Spokane and could not believe all the water and rain. Spokane
River was absolutely roaring through downtown. But being from Las Vegas I loved the rain and there was plenty of it. Then I lurked through a few nurseries seeing what they had that I could not get in Vegas. I came home with several plants stashed in an extra suitcase.

I then flew to Seattle and took the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, WA. Sat in business class and it was like fist class on an airplane. Saw many beautiful sites and again, MORE WATER. Water everywhere.

On arrival in Vancouver, more rain. But daughter's garden needed major attention and I could not do it because of hurting my shoulder when I fell. But it did not stop me from touring nurseries and buying plants for her window boxes and then instructing while she gardened. Took a tour of commercial iris gardens in Salem area one full day. I loved the rodies, azaleas, hydrangeas and Japanese maples. None of them grow here.

You also have that devil grass "Rye Grass". I am so glad we do not have that.

Everyone was very friendly and I got my fill of crab meat and other sea food.

We do not travel much and our son just moved to Spokane a year ago. But DH said maybe again in 5 years. He thought 2 weeks was to long to be away.

Thanks for letting the desert rats visit your area. I loved it. Sharon
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 11, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8625005

Sharon,
So happy you had such a good vist with your family. Yes, we do have lots of water. This year has been so wet and cold. I'll bet your glad to be home in the sun. Hope your shoulder is better.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8626455

Aw, Sharon, wish we could have met up. I'm only 45 minutes from Salem.

But very glad that the trip was so full & fulfilling & ... full of rain.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8635490

Water, water eveywhere but not a sun to see.

That's the Pacific NorthWet.

(Don't tell anyone, but we DO have lots of sun in the summer, yet the nights stay cool and there are no mosquitoes. If eveyone knew that, they would all move here en mass.)

Corey
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 16, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8635499

One set of children want us to move there. I love our warm winters. I would have to re-learn how to garden. To old for that. To hear them, DH and I are both ready for the assisted living home. I am getting a private nurse for us, not assisted living. Or no assisted living until the money runs out. LOL.

Thanks for the inside information Corey.

Sharon

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8637476

>> I would have to re-learn how to garden.

For sure all the dates are crazy. Texans are harvesting their LAST tomatoes before it's safe here to even put plants OUT.

The last frost might be mid-March through April, but nights might not stay above 50 until after June.

I hear you about "not until the money runs out". I fear that, for me, that may be a few months after retiring! (exageration, I hope)

Corey
rosewynd
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8841877

Desert area in S. CA here! I, also, am fascinated with all the water!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America