What's for dinner? (Part 13)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

A baker's dozen threads now. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183729/

We had fajitas. Nothing fancy but they tasted good after a day of working out and working outdoors.

Columbus, OH

Fajitas aren't fancy, but they certainly are tasty, one of my favorites!

It's not dinner, but I'm making sour cream coffee cake in muffin pans for my husband's co-workers. They'll be directing traffic all day for college graduation. I just iced bottles of water, too.

I'm making paella tonight, and another loaf of five minute bread, and a salad. I might make herb butter, if I feel fancy. I'll probably make some quick pasta with pesto for me.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Terry - thanks for the new thread! I so enjoy this one. I have never cooked fajita's - I guess its mostly chopping time? May have to give them a try this summer.

I have a big pot of chili cooking away in the slow cooker and a giant pot of chicken stock simmering on the stove. Will finish the stock and make the soup tonight. I need to get all this stuff cooked so I can clear out the refridgerator! Its packed.

Celene - I love sour cream baked goods of any sort. I bet the guys will really enjoy those! Do you have a graduate in the group?

Tam

Columbus, OH

One of my staff is graduating, but I made the coffee cakes because my husband is a supervisor and a lot of his officers are going to have a long, hot day directing traffic for a lot of frustrated drivers who are not familiar with the area.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Fajitas are one of those foods we never tire of. Then again, you can make fajita fillings any way you can imagine.

We had cabbage and onions browned in olive oil, butter and garlic, then tossed with farfalle, peas and Parmesan for dinner last night. There was salad too. Tonight we will have griddled chicken breasts, bacon and hard boiled eggs sliced over greens, tomatoes and olives. Homemade croutons. Something like a Cobb salad only I'm using feta instead of blue cheese.

Celene and Tammy, you both sound so industrious in the kitchen. The day flies by when the garden is up and running here. I have to make time to cook. Much needed rain is helping keep me indoors right now.

Dahlonega, GA

I'm in for the new thread . Still mostly lurking

Columbus, OH

I am not particularly industrious, I just wake up early and it's too dark to garden, lol.

I am often in the garden at daybreak. When it's heading towards noon and the temperature is pushing into the nineties it's time to come in, eat and find things to do in the house. We usually go back out in the garden late in the day to tie up loose ends. Since we are not here all the time we try to make the most of the time we are here. Meanwhile, I still think you and Tammy are very industrious. Most of my time spent in the kitchen is when I work, entertain or cold weather.

Columbus, OH

Nah, I just use time wisely. While paella simmered tonight, I cut up a salad, made a fresh vegetable pickle with fennel, radishes, and cucumber, and washed and dried some strawberries. I steamed the two chicken breasts that I didn't use in the paella, so I can make curried chicken salad later in the week--using celery I diced today when I cut up veg for paella. So, on chicken salad night, it'll take me five minutes to finish dinner.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

And I went out to see about weeding and it was hot, muggy, and skeeters & gnats out in force. So instead I cooked while watching so movies I had on my DVR today. I'm cooking now so I can have everything ready when I leave to visit dad in a couple weeks. Will be out of town for a long weekend next week.

Tam

I got this nutty idea to build a scarecrow using an old satellite dish base. I am growing her a "skirt" of morning glories. Guess you could say her skirt is hand made. :) The challenge was fixing her head on to the base. I was out there in the frying heat, along with the mosquitoes and gnats, hand sewing tie downs for her head.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Missouri City, TX

I hear you about the heat!

Finally planted all remaining items from the driveway - tomatoes, orange and banana trees.

Wasn't too bad when i started 78 w/89%, but was nearly 100 w/40% by noon.

DW fixed a chicken salad for lunch with plenty of the fresh tomatoes.

Just wish the mocking birds would use ONE blushing tomato instead if trying them all.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Tonight it's burgers and baked sweet potato fries. Fresh strawberries with yogurt over angel food cake for desert.

Love the scarecrow Laurel - nice lips!

Columbus, OH

Leftovers. So creative. I made pesto cream for pasta tomorrow, though.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Uh, sounds like it's time for some bird netting, perhaps?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Tammy,
How do you make chili in a crock pot? I LOVE crock pot cooking, but don't have very many recipes.

Please post your recipe. Thanks!

Linda

Thanks, Mary. The lips were a pair of 80's shoulder pads. Satin no less.

Tonight we'll be dining at our favorite Mexican restaurant and on to an orchid society meeting.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Cute scarecrow. So sexy! I have a big fish I'd like for her to meet -- I call her Madame. I am not at home so can't upload a photo now. GOOD JOB I was wondering what you decided to do for the base. All she needs is a supersized basket made from chicken wire sitting next to her or attached to her 'skirt' to grow bright annuals out of.

Re Dinner: Ham Sandwiches and Creme/ Tomato Basil Soup. Getting ready for vacation and busy week at work..... no energy to plan and cook.

But I made a crab and clam sauce a few days ago and we have been nursing that. I don't like to keep that more than a few days in fridge and so yesterday had to toss the leftovers.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mikata's Japanese tonight.. Cannot wait.. Daughters 33rd birthday and her place of choice..Will be steak & shrimp for me along with all that great rice and veggies..

Larkie

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Linden - I made up the recipe. I used pork - cut into smallish strips, browned in a pan. Then put diced onions, red pepper, a hot pepper, pinto beans and homemade tomato sauce & spices (salt, pepper, chilli power - not too hot 'cause its for dad) together in the pot. I also added a can of diced tomatoes in sauce after an hour or so 'cause it didn't look thick enough. I had the crock pot on a couple hours at night, let cool over night and finished in another 4-5hrs. (better I'm sure to do in one session)

Tam

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Laurel, cute scarecrow!
Tonight is a Santa Fe chicken casserole and jicama /orange salad.
Bubba, we are a long time until ripe tomatoes. I have a serious case of zone envy about now!

Yum on Larkie's choice - hibachi grills are so much fun!

I have no idea...but I'll need to make it quick if I'm going to have it ready before we leave for swim practice this evening. Methinks I'll be grocery shopping while she swims because we are seriously out of fresh veggies and meats around here. No maters here yet - too hot for them to set.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Picked a quart of fresh strawberries this morning so we'll have strawberry shortcake tonight. That should stave off any grousing about the leftover sirloin tip I did in the slowcooker on Saturday. I don't use the slowcooker often but we were gone to an RU all day and it seemed like a good idea. Added an envelope of onion soup mix but after I browned the roast I sliced up a fresh onion in the pan, carmelized them with a couple of garlic cloves, S&P, and it turned out meltingly tender and tasty. Garlic mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus with hollandaise finished it off and there's enough of everything left for another meal.

Our fruit trees are loaded with cherries and plums, and the pears will be along shortly.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

well... I'll be happy to help with those leftovers! Can't believe there'd be grousing about that dish on a second time around!!!!

I have a couple big bunches of broccoli so will probably have something with broccoli as the center piece. I'm off for a rock garden conference in NH Thurs morning so its just two dinners left before I'm gone. DH does well with leftovers but is not often motivated to prepare veggies on his own. :-)

Tam

Broccoli and macaroni-- an ols italian staple..just like cauliflower and macaroni and peas and macaroni ( but that get some meat).

Broccoli and macaroni is sort of soupy (actually it is a thick soup/stew and perfect for a huge italian catholic family on a small budget) but next day fried in a little olive oil and ...and browned and crisped at the edges...with a little bit of fresh shaved parm on top.....whooo wheeee.

We enjoy pasta and peas that way with a variety of veggies. I just posted a dish this past week that had browned cabbage and onions, oil, garlic and Parmesan with pasta and peas. It's also a good leftover fried in oil with a few eggs on top. Make sure to add some fresh basil or thyme. Cook the whites by covering the last few minutes but leave the yolks soft to pop over the top. Cracked pepper and an additional Parmesan topper makes for a perfect Italian/Jewish brunch on a budget. :>) There are Spanish-style dishes that use these basics but substitute medium grain rice, such as Valencia, for pasta and Manchego for the Parmesan. We love that for brunches in cool weather.

Tonight's dinner is a cold roasted chicken and salad. Summer salads here are kitchen sink varieties; meats, cheeses, eggs, breads, olives, pickles, etc..

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Longhorns.. Ribeye,whole grain bread, salad and broccoli=delicious..

Larkie

This message was edited Jun 14, 2011 7:30 PM

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I had a big plate of steamed broccoli with a side of roasted chicken.
Tam

Dahlonega, GA

Fried carrots in t-bone skillet with all the garlic flavor , sugared, and venison sausage jambalaya. Using up some stuff in the freezer. I'll have the jambalaya for lunch tomorrow .

Please explain how to make fried carrots, Sally. I'm intrigued.

Chicken and mushroom tetrazzini, Romaine lettuce salad and half a loaf of whole wheat Italian bread, split open, smeared with garlic butter and fresh-grated parmesan and broiled.

Olympia, WA

One very wonderful part about this thread is the reminder of what life is like when you have friends and family around and you share meals. Thank you so much!!!

I got a hankering for onion pie and I am going to make it soon. Sweet texas onions, cheddar cheese, and sour creme ,,,baked in a pie shell.....sometimes I'll add a little fresh crisped bacon for grins and giggles. Alas so fattening.

Quote from wannadanc :
One very wonderful part about this thread is the reminder of what life is like when you have friends and family around and you share meals. Thank you so much!!!

That is definitely a wonderful aspect to eating - and probably one that some of us take for granted.

Dahlonega, GA

Fry as in stir fry . Naturally sweet . Last night , we had T-bonewith lots of minced garlic and the drippings were left in skillet with canned carrots added and brown sugar for carmel flavor . I don't usually use canned carrots in a fry but didn't have fresh so it was decent anyway as a side .

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Great minds think alike - we had stir fry last night too. All veggie with 3 kinds of summer squash, onions, garlic, and ww noodles, fresh thyme from the garden and a garden tomato (Atkinson) tossed in at the end. 5-minute bread.

Tonight the plan is for light since it is a late night arrival home. Sliced mozzeralla, fresh basil, mixed greens, black olives, thin sliced red onions, and cantelope all drizzled with a good sticky honey and balsamic and offered with a hunk of bread.

My hubby will have a few pieces of rolled honey baked ham with that.

Missed a call from youngest son and now we can't get hold of him. Bet he was calling to come over for dinner and a hug. :>)

SO grilled extra country rib strips last week and froze them. They're going into homemade Q sauce to simmer with onions and peppers and then on top of Mexican rice (my spice blend). Sauteed garlicky spinach with crumbled feta is on the menu too. Costco has huge bags of spinach. I'll saute the entire bag, use some for dinner, save some for a quiche and the rest for a veggie lasagna. I'm multitasking like Celene and Tammy.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I love those big bags of spinach. Got one last week, cooked up some bacon, got rid of most of the grease, then quick saute'd it, and threw the crunchy bacon on top. Asked DH how he liked it, and he said, 'As opposed to how?" and people wonder why I am sick of cooking.

Tonight will be a quick stir fry but I forgot to pick up broccoli...Ahh well, if it needs more crunch, I'll hack up a couple of big radishes.

Grapeland, TX

I think tonight will be cobb salad. too hot for much of anything else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.