Photo by Melody

Electronics: screen turning off while working.

Communities > Forums > Electronics
bookmark
Forum: ElectronicsReplies: 6, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8625893

When I am working, for no reason that I can see, my monitor turns black and a box pops up and says 'no signal'. I have to restart my computer. It does this several times a day. I have tried a different screen and it still does it. I replaced the cable and it still does it. I had the computer cleaned. The guy at the repair shop says he cant find anything wrong with my computer. He said we could try replacing the video card. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with my computer? When it does it, the light on the computer is still on, indicating that the computer is still running, just he screen shuts down. I would love it if someone could solve this mystery! thank you!

oh, it doesn't matter whose account is logged on, or if I am on line or not or any other pattern that I have noticed.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8626376

If you have another monitor you could try that , but sounds like the video card.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8626682

Yes I did try another monitor, and another cable, still had the trouble. The guy said he couldn't find anything wrong, but that we could try replacing the video card. I was just concerned that he may be 'stabbing' for something, and so I wondered what others might think of it before I coughed up more money to someone who didn't sound to sure what he was doing.
Will replacing the card cause me to lose any data stored on my computer?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8628571

No It won't cause data to be lost. Only replacing a hard drive does that. I've replaced several video cards over the years so they do fail. By trying a different monitor and a new cable you've eliminated two possible items. While a power supply or mother board could theoretically cause similar symptoms, it's unlikely that there wouldn't be other problems like the computer locking up or not booting up. If you aren't comfortable that the guy (kid maybe?) knows what he's doing find someone else. There's a lot of guys that think they know what they are doing that don't. It not hard to do if you have the software you need and a little bit of knowledge.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8628757

I'd love to go somewhere else but I'd have to drive an hour for anyone other than him. He just said he couldn't find anything wrong and that we could 'try' replacing the video card. Making me think he had no idea if it was really that or not, but I'm still going to have to pay for it of course!

I will take it in and ask him about the card. Maybe it won't be too pricey and it'd be great if it fixed the problem.

thanks so much for your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8630667

Problems that come and go are hard to net to impossible to diagnose. You don't need the latest and greatest video card unless you are a game which you don't sound like. The last one I replaced I bought on ebay for $10.

I just looked on newegg.com. There seems to be a bunch in the $25 to $50 range.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8631034

okay, cool, that helps me alot.
thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Electronics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Apple Ipod Nano Gwendalou 5 May 16, 2007 5:22 PM
Need Circuit Help Marth164 2 Oct 17, 2007 2:25 PM
e-S/W CKT help chacha1234 5 Oct 17, 2007 2:18 PM
MP3 advice anastatia 3 Mar 3, 2007 9:35 AM
DISH remote? anastatia 2 May 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America