Photo by Melody

Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable: Probably one billionth... but

Communities > Forums > Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood VegetableReplies: 3, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

June 12, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8626361

I'm probably the one billionth person to ask this, and I've researched. It amazes me how many seem to want to know, and no website specifies. How do the spines effect cooking? I can handle picking and handling the okra with spines. I want to grow some for the first time next season. You see, I love fried okra so much I can eat a family sized serving all by myself. That is a rarity with me. I don't want to pick a variety based just on the fact that it lacks spines, I want to pick the most flavorful, mushy, gushy, okra-y variety I can find. So how do the spines effect cooking? Must I remove them before cooking them? It seems like if the spines irritate me outwardly they would also do it... you know.. inwardly. Thanks for your help!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8627106

Once it is cooked, you never notice the spines. 'Spines' are a bit of an inaccurate description anyway. It is more like a fuzz.

Just rinse your okra pods in cool water to remove garden debris and soil. That's all there is to it. Okra is best used within a day or so, as it doesn't like to be stored in the refrigerator.

I can't tell much difference in the regular varieties and the spineless ones and I've grown a lot of okra. I think there are fewer 'stickers' on the leaves of the spineless varieties, but as far as the pods go, they're pretty much the same. (leaves and stalks have a heavier fuzz)

Go for it. You've eaten spines every time you've eaten okra, as commercial processors just rinse and freeze too.
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

June 13, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8628018

Ah I see! I know the kind of fuzz now-- the kind that gets stuck in you like an impossibly infinitesimal splinter that hurts when wind blows. I know that fuzz well.

As long as it has the biggest okra flavor I don't care whether it's spineless or sticky as a rose bush. I will be using heavy duty gloves though...

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8628044

An okra lover after my own heart!!!

And yes, that is exactly the kind of fuzz I'm talking about.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Okra Lover Too! greenbrain 20 Jan 26, 2011 5:21 AM
Love okra, hate the slime gloria125 3 Jun 3, 2010 10:57 AM
northern okra Kathleen 1 Aug 5, 2008 4:40 PM
A Way to Tolerate Okra? darius 7 Jun 7, 2010 10:58 PM
Love Okra MitchF 0 Aug 5, 2008 4:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America