Summer 2011: Growing plants under lights indoors! Pt 1

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Starting a new thread for Summer indoor blooms and vines!

My indoor vines are starting to bloom and many of them are getting lots of buds! Yay!

This first one is from Dany. It's Q1044. A beauty for sure! Thanks so much, Dany, for sharing seeds from that one! I really like it!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Another Q1044 bloom from the same vine. Really cool looking blooms!

Kaori - Purchased seeds.

Blue Speckles (F2). It shows both blue and purple speckles.

Sazanami #2 from Onalee's. Bloom is solid lavender color with white throat. Will be interesting to see if the blooms change with time.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2011 2:07 PM

Jackie's Weird Sazanami. Starting out with the rayed pattern. Nice! Thanks, Jackie!

From Robbie. Seed swap. NOID. Maybe Robbie will pop on here and tell me what cultivar this is.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous blooms you're getting Becky. They bloom so nice for you indoors.
Nice to see Robbies, reminding me of a Choc Silk type.
Will be fun to see what blooms the Weird Saz produces.

:-) Thanks Jackie! I agree ... some of my vines may produce some very beautiful and interesting blooms! You just never know!

Gautier, MS

All beautiful and really neat blooms Becky!

Thanks, Helena! My indoor vines are doing great. The outdoor I nils ... well, not as pristine as the indoor ones... I am liking growing them under lights so much better! My species plants like the outdoors though, so those I will plant outside. ;-) They are tougher than the I. nils.

I have some new bloomers today!

This one is from Karen2005. This is her Purple-Blue Blizzard (PB12). I grew this a few years ago and always liked it a lot. I've been meaning to grow it again and am glad I did! Beautiful first bloom. It is one of those vines where the blooms get better and more interesting as the vine ages. :-)

This is from KarenBlue from the seed swap this year. A lovely solid white bloomer! :-) Thanks Karen!

Jackie's Weird Sazanami 2nd bloom. NICE!!! I love the bloom shape and the diluted gene showing up! Another one that will get really interesting with age! ;-) The color of the bloom is a little darker than what it really is. Ya know how cameras are sometimes ...

Purple Speckles (F1) from my vine last year. I can't miss a year of growing this one and other speckles. I really love the speckles a lot! ♥

Karens Purple Blue Blizzard is really special Becky.
I love Karens lacy white bloom.
Nice bloom the Saz threw.
Your Blue Speckles is also special, can't wait for mine to bloom.

Gautier, MS

I agree with Jackie, all are gorgeous and special blooms!

Loveland, CO

These are gorgeous! I didn't know so many colors and types of morning glories existed until I joined this forum. You all have amazing green thumbs! :)

szarvas, Hungary

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/06/14/beckygardener/a63119.jpg
big blue sky .... some status!

Thanks y'all! I agree! :-)

Work has been keeping me busy! (sigh) I wanna play, but my summer break hasn't begun yet and not for a while. I try to get photos in the mornings, but I have to be at work even earlier than normal during the summer school session. Sometimes the blooms aren't quite fully opened yet. :-(

Here's 2 blooms of Karen2005's PB12 take today.

A close up of the white striped one! So cool! ♥

This is the Q1044. I need to take a photo of the leaves. They are heart-shaped yellow-green! Really unusual. I really like the blooms, too! Kyushu University sure knows how to make some really fabulous vines and blooms!!!! Thanks again, Dany!

Helena - Guess what?!!! I got blooms from one of your seeds in the seed swap! It's beautiful!!!! I love the color! Do you have an ID for it? Thank you!!!! ♥

This was kinda weird. I didn't get any of the buds wet, but these blooms came out with these watermarks. This vine is from Karen2005's mixed seeds from this past year's seed swap.

A close-up of one of the blooms! Interesting...

One of my Blue Speckles F2 vines is still producing those sparsely speckled blooms. This was a neat photo of one of those blooms.

Some gorgeous blooms Becky. Love the colors.

Gautier, MS

I agree with Jackie, your blooms are beautiful Becky!!!

I'm pretty sure that bloom from my swap seeds is Aomurasaki youjiro blizzard, dark purple. And you're welcome, glad you like it!!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 9:02 AM

Thanks Jackie and Helena!

Only blooms I had today were on my Sazanami #2 from Onalee's. Solid blooms. Hmmmm ... They don't look like they are going to change at this point. Usually by the 3rd bloom I start seeing some pattern showing up. Isn't happening on this one! The blooms look very delicate and large for one grown in a 32 oz. container! LOL! I don't know if the seed came from my grow-out 2 years ago or from the Japanese seed packet. Likely from mine. Maybe a cross. With what? ... no guess here! LOL!

A close-up of one of the paler blooms. Actually most eye-pleasing. Sometimes those unexpected blooms can be just what ya needed to see! ♥

Becky, the softly colored blooms are very pretty.

Gautier, MS

Very pretty, I like the soft and gentle blooms!

Thanks Jackie and Helena!

No blooms today. :-(

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Those two blues with "watermarks" are breathtaking! Not a bad bloom in the entire thread all beautiful!

Nifty, I meant to mention those blooms too, a beautiful color.

Norfolk, VA

Becky- Keep me updated about your vine I gave you, Just want to see if you're getting any luck from it. Nice blooms by the way.

Tony

Thanks to Nick and Jackie concerning the blue blooms with the watermarks. I have no idea how that happened. Usually moisture causes those marks. I don't mist mine anymore. They are just as happy dry as they are with water dew on them. LOL!

Tony - I will. I am sure they will start blooming soon. I see buds on almost all of the vines. I counted them all yesterday and there are 32 different vines. I grew one seed from each person in the seed swap. So it shall be interesting to see what I get. :-)

Today's blooms included Dany's Q1044. The bloom was wilting as you can see from the edges of the petals.

And this is purple speckles F1. Also on it's way to wilting...

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Becky,
You have probably answered this elsewhere, but how much floor space have you devoted to indoor gardening? How many light fixtures do you have? Have you stayed with grow-light fluorescent bulbs? Do you water by hand or automatically? The pristine nature of your leaves and flowers is evident.

The picture shows the first bloom that came from a seed I got from Karen Burch. It wasn't what I expected. So I don't really know what it is.

Thumbnail by Cibarius

Doug - I am not sure what that cultivar is, but there are some nice colors in that bloom in your photo! You should dmail Karen and ask if she knows. It might be a cross. The future blooms may produce some surprises. When I have stripes show up early in an unknown, I often get some really awesome blooms! Keep watching that beauty! :-)

I have two shelving units that were actually storage shelves from my garage. Two adjustable shelves on each unit. I have grow lights in the upper and lower light on one shelving unit and then I used Bright Outdoor Light tubes for the other shelving unit. I honestly do NOT see a difference in the plants at all. So I plan to just use the cheaper bright whites in the future when they need to be replaced. I water once a week. I water by hand with a long narrow spout watering can. I treat them just like I would if they were growing outside. Fertilize every few weeks with Bloom Booster. Run the lights to match the outdoor sunlight.

The units are against a wall in a spare room. Mine don't take up much space. They are only 18" deep. But the two shelving units do run the length of one wall. They are plugged into a socket that is connected to the wall light switch, so I just turn them all off with the flip of a switch. LOL! I don't do anything else to them except praise or threaten them! LOL! When I threaten to toss them, they will bloom for me! LOL!

A few more blooms today. I have quite a few that haven't produced their first blooms yet. Many have small buds, so I expect to see some blooms soon from them too.

Helena this one that you shared seeds of in the swap is putting on quite a show for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.