-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 13, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8628183

Hello everyone. Its time we had a shorter path to the Tea Room. My goodness we will soon be up to 100. Have to have a party then.
Another cold but fine day yesterday. Looks like the same today. I love seeing the morning sun shining through the trees
The maggies are madly nest building. I always hang a bundle of coconut fibre on the clothesline for them. They have also started going into hubbys shed looking for wire. They seem to like his colored copper wire. Probably learnt from dear old Mumma who has gone to bird heaven. She was always asking for the wire. Only the white though. She would reject other colors and it had to be the right size too. Hubby use to cut pieces for her which she would pick up, look at, measure with her beak and either take or reject.
Most of our group here are her children and grandchildren.
Hubby has just said NZ has had more large shakes. I do feel for all those over there. It must seem never ending.
Teresa, hope all is well with you.
That liquefaction looks awful. The news showed a car sinking in the ooze.
Hello to everyone popping in. I had better go and see whats in the kitchen for you .
Stay safe.
We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1185298/#top
Jean.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2011 9:30 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 13, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8628302

Good morning Jean and everyone. It is lovely and sunny here this morning, but the wind is so cold and penetrating. My shoulder is protesting strongly despite layers of protection over it.

Aren't plants the most amazing things! They survive and thrive under the most dreadful conditions.

The earth is so unsettled this year. Looking at the earthquake world map, I see Japan is still getting many shocks, the ring of fire is busy, and poor New Zealand is dancing on its toes. I hope it settles down soon and takes a long rest.

Keep warm.
Karen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 13, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8628312

Good morning everyone!

Nice to see the sun out and maybe a nice day ahead.
I feel like getting out into the garden today to do a bit of potting about.

My white Cattleya flower won the best Orchid at last Friday's Buderim Garden Club meeting. Now that spures me on too.

Have a geat day and take care Teresa.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 13, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8628651

Good morning everyone. Boy is it cold. The sun is shining though. Marlene congratulations for your win. Beautiful orchid. Nothing seems to know the right seasons now. It must be wonderful to have all the magpies in your yard Jean. We always had pet maggies when we were kids. Not much getting done this morning. Will have to do the everyday tasks though I suppose. Might warm me up a bit. The car windows were all frosted up this morning. Can't see any damage yet. fingers crossed. The brugs in the front garden are holding up much better than I thought they would and Bucks Fizz even has more buds. Will put up a pic of some of the SH. The white Bird of Paradise has huge leaves but the broms are a bit washed out now with not so much sun. I'm sure they'll improve as it gets warmer. Must go will be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8628708

Marlene that is one beautiful Orchid :) congratulations ! what a thrill.
So nice to have something happy to smile about on this cold grey wet and windy day.

I hope everyone is ok as specially Teresa.

Oh Colleen my white Bird of Paradise is about twenty five ft high and almost as wide in diameter so be careful where you plant it, mine looked so innocent when I planted it there at about 12inches high. Mine also has it's big huge heads getting ready to bloom. the actual clump is still recovering from the bad hail and the leaves are not looking their usual self, very ragged where they were torn up.

Too true Karen, this is the most dreadful year I can ever remember, hopefully it will end soon, can't wait for this year to be over ...it's pouring rain out there right now, we have some flooding in the lower areas again.

Take care everyone.
Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

June 13, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8628848

Hello everyone:
Well, I did pop in and post a few days ago but obviously did not ''çlick' the correct button. Yet again.

Firstly, Teresa, Thinking of you this day. Keep safe and I have to say that I, like Colleen, do not know how you stay...but home is home...please do take very good care. Think of you often.
Colleen, how do you keep going? maybe you eat your weeties for brekkie + some. Has your camera arrived? Say hello to the boys.
Chrissy, remember-take care of the carer
To everyone else..howdy and keep warm...'tis very cold here on the Central Coast of NSW...& raining...well it does not know how to stop, flooding here and further up into the Hunter Valley, (where we used to live). For the first time am thankful that I live on the 9th floor. Not yet sold but apparently there are two interested couples who will make ''an offer"( REA speak), today or perhaps tomorrow...so will not hold my breath.

Your gardens look and sound lovely with their Winter coats. Was particularly interested in the white bird of paradise...cannot spell stril etc.etc. I was unaware that that they came in anything but orange...so have learned something else today; wish that I lived closer to have a wee chunk for my garden, (which I hope to have once the sale of this goes through).
About to make a walnut & date loaf...served with real butter and hope that you all enjoy your slice...
Off I go
Good wishes to everyone-keep warm-stay well
Anna

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8628909

Hi Anna yes the white Strelitzia is the Giant one, people often mistake it for the Traveller's Palm or even bananas.

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantqrs/strelitznichol.htm

You don't want to plant it in a small garden. :) The spectacular heads of bloom are in a blue bud and the bloom is over 2ft long.
Yes we are having a deluge here too.
Good luck with your sale!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 14, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8629111

i just realised,Tazzie wont be getting mail or parcels while the plane stoppage is on,.,.not good!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8629344

Wow Anthony hope all goes well with that ...darned volcano. Lots of people stuck at various Airports.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 14, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8630481

Good morning everyone. The sun is out and its nearly a frost out there. Hubby says it would have been a frost if not for the bit of wind.
Anthony, I know how you feel with the lack of mail. I love gettiing parcels in the mail and when waiting for one , the weekends seem so long. Hopefully the wind will clear the ash cloud quickly and your parcels will arrive.
I saw one of those white strelitzias in a botanic garden once. It was huge. Not for my garden here.
Chrissy, remember your small strelitzia ? It has grown beautifully. Still small as they are slow growing, but has lots of new leaves.
Lots of bulbs up now and I look forward to a sea of yellow later. The jonquils are starting to flower . I see lots of buds on everything so maybe spring is not so far away.
My cuttings in the mini greenhouse I have inside the large greenhouse, are looking very green. I am hoping they all keep growing well. I have lots of seed to sow later. I must get out today and plant the californian poppy seeds. I keep trying every year to get other colors, but always end up with the orange only. I have read that they should be sown in winter, so thats what I am doing.
I have to get out and cut the berries back soon as we need to get the new fence in for them to climb on. I have to find a new jacket for Michael this year. Poor fellow is looking very ragged after standing out in all weather. A new hat too, as his old straw one is falling off his flower pot head. . ( for those who dont know, Michael is my guardian angel scarecrow)
He will have to move aside a bit when the berry fence goes up. I may buy him a plastic chair to sit on.
Hello Chrissy, Anthony, Dianne, Elaine, Pam , Karen and Colleen.
Teresa, how are you doing there ? I see even more shaking going on. We may have to get along rope and pull NZ over next to us so you are away from the shaky area.
Thinking of you every time I see the news of more quakes.
Charleen. how are you doing there ? Lots of lovely weather I hope. A big hug for Charley.
Louise, how are things in your part of the country ?
Is your garden growing well.
Pats for the girls.
I will put out something nice for you all, then get out in the sun before it disappears.
Try some of these Cream Puffs.
Colleen, one always thinks of Brian and Leisa when cream is around. Nice to have memories reawaken with simple things like that
How many of us have that happen ?
Eucalyptus and wintergreen oil = my gran.
Tobacco smoke = my dad
Daffodils & jonquils = my mum.
Abutilon flowers = a loving old neighbor
So many things will stir those old memories. I had a friend who liked to visit the cemetary and couldnt understand why I never did.
I told her that with all the memories that are in my heart and mind, I dont need to go to any place , I just close my eyes and there are all the ones I love and remember , smiling at me.
Happy gardening. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 14, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8631079

well a few more shakes going on... not as bad as Monday thank goodness.
The men haven't been back to pull the chimney down - good thing as it freezing here!'
things looking worse for wear in place about the house, more superficial craking in the plaster & around architraves etc.
Most dramatic is the support column that was on a lean... fell off...
we don't know when - it was there after the big shakes but not any more.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 14, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8631221

It occurred to me after I sent it Jean that you may have some new breed there since the smaller bird of paradise grows at the foot of the White Giant one ...what if they crossed? hmmm :) Glad it is doing well, they are slow for a couple of years then they take off. Both of mine try to gobble up the garden.

Yes Jean I agree ...one thing I do too is try and take a bit of the plant from a garden to remember and fuss over ...I have the Queen of Herbs from Brian, yes I thought I had lost it but it came back and Leisa's Broms get special care now.
I hope everyone is ok ...floods all over, Sue is having problems in her property ...I hope all is going to be ok for her.
Teresa you too, hopefully things may settle down soon.
Anthony did you get your shipment?
Stay warm and safe everyone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 15, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8631339

Yes!!!-2 boxes arrived,.,.dont know how?,.i knocked off at 1 and shot out to fill the ute with potting mix,.,.i put almost 50 bulbs in today,worn out now,and it is so cold at about 3.30 when the sun says''goodbye''.,.,,.Teresa,'holy moly',if that was my place,i wouldnt be in it,.,.[we are 2 storey],theres enough cracks and crackpots here now,.,.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2011
2:20 AM

Post #8631367

Good for you Anthony, Liliums don't need delays...do they!
I have to smile at your every purchase...you should be training Molly right now...you are going to need help when they all grow...

I like your reasoning, Jean...memories don't need a home...
Lovely moon up there tonight...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
2:54 AM

Post #8631375

Anyone getting up to see the Blood Moon? I think I am too tired :(

Anthony good on you :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8632532

(¯`·´¯)...。☆。*。☆。
`·.,(¯`·´¯)...★。\|/。★
(¯`·´¯).·´(¯`·´¯)...♥ Happy BIRTHDAY ♥
..` ·.·´(¯`·´¯)...★。/|\。★ SUE hope it's amazing ! x x x

Well no blood moon here too many clouds and rain.
Oh well.
More rain to come ...so nothing much happening out there today.
Stay warm and dry everyone.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8632719

Good morning everyone.
Chrissy, you were up earlier then I was. I have a lovely cake for Sue.
❉❥ ❦ ❧ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ HAPPY BIRTHDAY , SUE ❉❥ ❦ ❧ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀
Hope lots of pretty presents ( + broms ) find their way to you.
I just hope the floods are not near you.
So terrible up there. People must wonder when things will ever dry out.
A very red sky here this morning but lots of cloud.
A fine and sunny day yesterday so I pottered around doing nothing much, but enjoying the weak sun.
Lots of green shoots on the plants now. Already I see the buds forming for the spring blossom.
The large bundle of coconut fibre I put out for the birds, has been nearly used up. There is always lots of sheeps wool hanging on the fences so they can have nice warm linings.
Anthony, you must be worn out with all that planting. It is so satisfying though , to see it all done. Now, anticipation will be the order of the day. It will be wonderful to see all the blooms later. You must put them all up on a thread then, so we can all just drool.
Chrissy, I have never seen the usual ,smaller ,orange Bird of Paradise do anything rash like the large white one. A friend had one that must have been 30 years old and it was still encircled by the old tyre it was planted in. It flowered so beautifully every year.
Dianne, thats right, the only home memories need is us. Our hearts and our minds.
How is your weather down there ? The garden must be looking green.
Colleen. You will expecting lots of cacti flowers this year. Can you find them among the brugs ?? lol
You must be excited with all those plants to bloom later.
Hello Teresa. I see there were even more shakings going on in NZ. I hope your house doesnt suffer any further. I'm glad you are safe though. Houses can be rebuilt, people cant. Poor Copper must be a nervous wreck.
Hello Pam, Elaine and Karen. I hope all your aches etc are feeling a lot better.
Hello Charleen, we are missing your smiling face in the Tea Room. A big hug for Charley.
Louise are you busy in your garden ? Hope all is well with you and Hank there. Hugs for the darling girls too.
Better go and see to hubby. Poor thing has a cold.
You know what men are like with the sniffles ...
Have a lovely and safe day everyone. . If you are good. Sue may share some cake with you.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8632723

Clear skies here, but a very thick fog covered them all up...all I could hear was a ship's fog horn...so no blood moon for me...darn it...
It was very clear early and the moon was huge..
Terrible floods in NSW...hope the rain eases soon...

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUE...have a lovely day.

Off to see Bridesmaids today...

Have a good one everyone..

You make the best birthday cakes, Jean...save me a bit, please.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 9:35 AM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 15, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8633465

flower show meeting tonight,[daff show isnt far away],and im lagging on my part of the promo side[been busy]but it will get done,.,.adios

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2011
12:49 AM

Post #8633506

Hello everyone!

I spent a nice day in the garden.
Planted a new Salvia that I purchased on the weekend.

Salvia 'Coconut Ice'

Thumbnail by Marleneann

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8633602

Elaine I was looking at this and thought of you ...I hope it works, you will love it I know ...I think it's stunning!

http://matinlumineux.blogspot.com/2011/06/jardin-rosa-mir-lyon.html#comment-form

If it does not copy and paste to your browser

Everyone would enjoy it I think.
A pop up form for comment will pop up just ignore and scroll up ...this is a garden built with love up on a French Roof Top ...it's so beautiful.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 10:21 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 16, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8633645

I am on nights this week & when I left home the builders (unbuilders) were just getting started.
they disconnected our pellet fire first, freezing cold night predicted, just what we need.
We popped down to the mall - thankfully open again after being closed for clean up after the quakes on Monday.
Saw a 9 fin oil filled column heater for $99.99... thought that seemed ok so picked it up - got to the checkout to pay - $50.00 thank you :)
bonus! love the Warehouse for putting heaters on special right when we need them.
Anyway got home at 11.30pm & could see a big pile of blocks on the lawn.
Will have to take progress pics tomorrow morning.
My sister wants me to move to the North Island, but really the chance of an earthquake up there is just as much as it was here in ChCh.
NZ is right smack bang on the fault line between two plates so anywhere can be hit with a quake at any time...
might as well stay here where I know my house is solid - chimney excepted - and where I work is like a bunker.
Hubby's work is holding up well too - good thing as they have heaps of work on order, they make hydraulic manifolds, mostly for Aussie mining & some forestry companies.
Both industries are doing well so have lots of equipment needing hubbys good work.
And my brother & his family are here, so is Mum & her lovely hubby...
tempting as it is some days when after shocks just keep on coming I am not inclined to leave just yet :)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 16, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8633660

Theresa, you have the shakes and we keep wetting ourselves! Sounds like alzheimers eh? Thanks for the birthday wishes. Its been a good day with lots of yummy food and nice people saying nice things. I couldn't ask for more. happy gardening you lot. I just wish i had more time to chat, but my warm bed is beckonning!
Goodnight
Sue

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8633711

Hope you had a grand day Sue. Best birthday wishes to you.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 16, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8634612

THANKS Chrissy ------elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 16, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8634659

Good morning everyone. I got sidetracked on the way here. I really should come in and open the Tea Room before wandering around all the other posts.
Chrissy, I love the garden on the roof. So much work and you can see the love and care that went into it.
Elaine , does it give you ideas. I can picture you climbing up on your roof lol..
Hello Anthony, have a great time at the meeting. Lots of plans being made for the upcoming show.
Very pretty salvia, Marlene.
I see no birthday cake left in the kitchen so Sue must have eaten it all. Hope your day was dry Sue.
We had rain overnight but its gone now. Great for the pot plants.
Teresa, you are right . It is most likely just as safe where you are, as anywhere else in NZ. You know now how your area reacts with the shakes and you have loved ones close.
Hello Dianne. Hope your day out was enjoyable.
Hello colleen, Pam and Karen.
Hello also to Louise and Charleen.
I am going out for a quick walk around the garden to check on all the plants and give them growing instructions.
I expect big things from them in spring. My hellebores are flowering now so I must keep a watch on the self sown seedlings to see what flowers I get.
Keep safe and dry everyone . Enjoy this lovely Sponge Cake with a nice cuppa.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8634799

good morning all ...the nurse is on the way so I will pop back in later ...yay! the Sun ...I see the Sun :))))
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 16, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8634915

Chrissy I see it and feel it so nice to be able to play out side again.

Jean looks like my roof garden is in for a make over starting with pepples on the pots.---elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 16, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8635389

Please be careful Elaine. Make sure you get some one to get things down for you and also to put them back when you finish your projects.
Jean.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 16, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8635503

Jean then I looked at the top I remembered the pots are in a wooden frame then bolted on to the roof so they could not blow down thate project is on the burner for now , at this time working on pots then 4th. guitar to do .
Nice to see the sun BUT a cold wind is blowing .-----elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 16, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8635526

Ho Elaine gosh no doubt about you is there :o) I can't go out in that cold wind we have missiles flying around here, the wind is way too cold and way too fierce.

You can do that on pots in your garden ...please don't be getting up on things. That makes me nervous.
I loved the sea shells too didn't you ...I wonder if you can get some sort of thingy that lets you make your own cement ones, many years ago I made some of those shapes in rubber things ...so long ago I can't remember where I got them , mail order I think ...made lots of plaster of paris models of snow white and the seven dwarfs etc for my sisters.
Any one know?

Getting back to your pots ...they look great but don't overdo ...I loved the succulents all mixed up with the stones and seashells ...I will do some sort of project come Spring- it has inspired me. Nothing very grand just one little perfect area.
Perhaps mud brick with the shells and pebbles imbedded, loved those columns but no ladders for me.Sigh dreaming of Spring already.
Cabin Fever here :)
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 17, 2011
1:27 AM

Post #8635573

Chrissy I' m sure the molds were made from Latex I think the Latex was painted or sprayed over whate ever you wanted to make dryed over night then removed like a glove could be used doz. or more times -----elaine

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8635662

yes Elaine you laid them in sand and poured it in, must look it up.
that darned wind is howling through the she oaks making such a loud freaky noise ...hate the wind but the noise is cool.
I hope you are all tucked up nice and warm.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8635684

I found this Elaine, I like this idea and many others on here
http://www.ehow.com/how_6671088_make-cement-garden-decorations.html
Looking forward to trying some of this.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 17, 2011

Post #8636930

Good morning everyone.
Very cold and raining here. The plants needed more rain, but I can hear those weeds laughing.
Elaine, you are one busy lady. Its good to know you have lots of things to do on the ground. We dont want you tackling anything off the ground. You could make lots of pretty things with shells.
Chrissy, I remember having small molds for things when I was young. They were for things like Snow white, Mickey Mouse etc. One filled the rubber ? mold with plaster of paris , then painted when dry. They were still around when my kids were small.
I would love to do a few larger things for the garden. I keep telling hubby that I will make a few creatures , but never seem to get around to it. Maybe this summer.
I have a few flowers around made of old radiator fans . Must repaint them . Various things made with corrugated iron. That got too hard with my arthritis. Bird houses sitting around . Things hanging here and there.
Hubby has been giving me circles of aluminium as he cuts holes out for his amplifiers. I have one lot hanging and am gathering a new lot. I may spray them later. I used to use cheap glitter nail polish as pretty effect but havent seen any lately.
Hello Colleen, Dianne, Pam, Karen, Teresa, Anthony, Charleen and Louise.
I am off out to the greenhouse to soak a brick of peat. I use it in lots of mixes for various plants and it is just right for mixing with perlite as a mix for brug seeds and cuttings etc
I hope you all have a bit of lovely weather for a change.
Enjoy the day if you can.
Have some of this yummy Fruit Cake with a nice cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 17, 2011

Post #8636933

I am sure I have seen the shells in craft shops to do a small area would not need a lot . Iam more interested in the pots covered in pepples -river stones more sun to day no wind here.----elaine,
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 17, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8636986

I'm here for my fruit cake Jean. Good morning. Gee it's been cold over here. If one could get in the sun it was fine but inside and in the shade was freezing. Sorry I haven't been in for a few days but have been really busy. My neice from QLD came and saw me the other day. She has taken some 2' cuttings back with her of RFP, Elfin Pink in memory of Brian and a piece of Clementine. I expect to hear her in Spring when she gets her first flowers. My sister in QLD lives on the same property so they will be able to enjoy them together. Great to see you at it again Elaine. I think the key to life is keeping one's self busy. Good for the brain as well as the old body. Had a bit of a circus here the other night at about 6 o'clock. Branden was getting himself a frozen yoghurt. He cut the top off with a small pair of scissors and then tried to cut down the side so that he could peel the foil back. Weeeeelllllllll. The scissors slipped, and stabbed him right inbetween the thumb and forefinger. He bled like a stuck pig. Blood was everywhere. He was screaming, Cameren was running around the lounge just about doing cartwheels and saying, "he's gonna die, he's gonna die." I couldn't stop the bleeding so I just wrapped his hand in a towel and headed for the hospital. The nurse finally got it to slow down, but every time she took her finger off the pressure point the blood would bubble out again. Well he had 2 stitches and I brought him home and gave him some Panodol and off to bed he went. The next morning he was fine until he sneezed and then it started to throb. I gave him another dose of Panodol and wasn't going to send him to school, but ofcourse he wanted to go. He was the centre of attention for the day. All's well now. Fun and games for a while though. Well hope everyone is well and you all have a wonderful day. Be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 17, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8637087

Oh, Colleen...the poor kid..It wouldn't help with his brother dancing around saying that he was going to die..
It's very frightening when you can't stop the bleeding...
Accidents happen when you least expect it, don't they.

Cold here too, might pot up a few things before the football starts...

Jean, what % do you mix the peat and Perlite?..I have a brick just sitting here, I forget why I bought it..
I was tempted to buy another little plastic SH from the Reject shop...I love this little one..
They are talking about a new Strawberry called Big Sweetie on the garden show this morning, it crops in Spring and Autumn...sounds good
I have Lowanna, beautiful and sweet, but it's a late cropper...might try the new one too.

Dianne

This message was edited Jun 18, 2011 10:33 AM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 17, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8637126

dianne,i have a lilium called 'lowanna'-[aboriginal for'woman']-that too is a beautiful sight!..,.im still potting up lilium bulbs and i have to do another talk on growing liliums on wednesday for the garden club,..,Chrissy,ive done the scissors through the finger trick,while cutting a cardboard template,..,Dr Brendan Nelson sewed me back together,.,.i better get some tucker and hit the pots and soil-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 17, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8637169

Colleen. My son hit his head on a brick corner when young . He too, bled like a stuck pig. Luckily my SIL was there with husband. He just grabbed the pepper shaker and put a handful on the cut. It apparently clots the blood so stopping the bleeding. Handy to remember for cuts. He apparently was brought up in the bush where those old remedies were common.
Not sure how good it would work on anything bad but it sure did the job back then.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8637284

Yes that pepper really does work I have used it many times to stop bleeding ...the place where that wound was would have kept opening up though so stitches were needed, poor little bloke. Very scary when blood is everywhere, hope he is ok now colleen.
The People in the bush knew all these tricks ...I guess they had to because Doctors and hospitals were far away.

Golly you had Brendon Nelson sow up your wound Anthony ...a brush with fame there, did he do a good job?

That Strawberry sounds good Dianne ...cestrum gave me a bit of a really lovely one ...a wild one, they are smaller but full of flavour, Alpine Strawberries we call them here.

Yes of course craft shops would have them ...love your pots Elaine !
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 17, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8637346

Elaine. lots of pretty pebbles in bags in the Reject shop and other cheap shops. Lots of those small round colored glass thingys too.
Yes , Chrissy, you are right that stitches still needed but stopping the bleeding with the pepper helps ,especially if someone is in a bit of a panic at the sight of lots of blood.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8637797

Hi everyone. Some dramas going there Colleen. I remember a couple of boys playing darts and my son ended up as the dart board, with a dart in his forehead to the hilt. Off to hospital with him asking if he was going to die. Doctors operated, after xrays, and then treated it as a skull fracture. Luckily, his brain was not damaged. Kids really can cause your hair to turn grey.

I never heard about pepper stopping bleeding though. Something new to know. Wouldn't it sting?

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 18, 2011
2:01 AM

Post #8637814

YES CHRISSY,amazingly, it was about 17 yrs ago[[thinking]]],..,brendan nelson was working in a ''roll up- roll up'' come one ,come all , after hours clinic in derwent park,.they deadened the finger,and whacked 5 stitches in,[thanks for coming,see you next time],.,..,the next time i was in there,i was trying to kill a young gentleman,who had tried to break into my car,.,.,.'but thats another story'!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 18, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8637816

It provides something for the platelets to cling to and is antiseptic too.
No it does not sting.
http://tipnut.com/stop-bleeding-ground-black-pepper/

I have used it many many times but not on a wound that would need stitches.
My nanna lived in the bush and had a large tribe of children who were always having cuts and scrapes, she used it all the time.

One article says to pocket the pepper sachets from take away places and keep some in your handbag for emergencies.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 18, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8637817

Oh you are a character Anthony ...hey you had better get yourself some black pepper by the sound of things ...I liked Brendon Nelson ...that was a nice thing to do for you. Geez that Tassie state sounds a bit harsh. :) Got any Tassie Tigers running around there in your lily garden ?

This message was edited Jun 18, 2011 8:08 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 18, 2011
2:38 AM

Post #8637831

if i did,id say nothing.,.,[the forestry would come in and cut down my lilies]

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 18, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8638044

goodnight everyone ...I just could'nt resist this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8638272

Chrissy, that is my two little grandson's bedtime song/video...when the two year old, Ethan is tired he will climb up in the desk chair and say "Gamma wion go nite-nite" I played it for him every night last summer when I was there in Brisbane with them...this was a nice surprise...glad you couldn't resist...GRIN (Ethan and Aidan at Noosa)

Moon

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 18, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8638700

I'd read that it was white pepper, so obviously it makes no difference. Powdered kelp works too, but pepper is a whole lot cheaper

Thanks for the video link Chrissy. I'm sure our little Josh will thoroughly enjoy it.

Pam
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 18, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8638743

Colleen After reading about Brandens accident I bet half the play grounds talk was about how GRAN saved his life .-----elaine.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 18, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8638800

Good morning everyone. If you are all hanging around outside waiting for a cuppa, blame Chrissy for me being a bit late.
I started watching that video and had to call hubby to see it. Of course, one leads to another and another.
I have always loved that song.
Very dull outside here this morning. Yesterday was showery all day. Not as icy cold though without the wind.
Anthony, I wouldnt tell anyone about the Tassie Tigers either. They are probably very happy among your liliums.
I can just imagine you standing guard over the liliums while the little forestry people run madly around like ants.
Hello Colleen, Dianne and Elaine.
Hello Pam , Karen and Jean/moon too. Hope all is well with you all.
Teresa, even more weird weather for NZ. What did you do to annoy the weather man ? I hope all are safe there.
Charleen, where are you ? Hugs for Charley.
Louise , we miss seeing the girls in the Tea Room.
I am looking out the window here and thinking that nothing will be done outside today. The wiind is back, though not strong , its darn cold. raining again.
Why am I complaining ? Its winter . We need winter for the plants , so they can rest. Pity we cant hibernate too.
Better go and have my cuppa. Hubby says its a waste making me one if I keep forgetting its there.
Have a happy day Keep warm and dry..
Have some of these lovely Pastries with your cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 18, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8638932

Heard they had a tornado in NZ, north island. Weird stuff happening for sure.

Absolutely glorious day here, though a little cool this morning. I believe Ipswich was -1. Best news here though is Barry is buying a new car, finally. The old Mazda is dead on its legs, but somehow still rolling, just. We'll be able to go further afield in our travels and see some new sights. Hope we'll have it by next weekend. I can't wait.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 18, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8639051

Good morning everyone. Poor NZ they are really copping it. Hope everyone is safe. Elaine, I don't think it passed their mind that maybe Granny did some good in the situation, although the little one did say, " Granny you can move fast" At school the next day he had a swarm of kids wanting to know what happened. He certainly lapped up the attention. All's well now. The swelling has gone down and he will have the stitches out on Wednesday. Jean my Winter Hippy is out. A lovely splash of bright colour. Will go and take a pic in a minute. It's a lovely morning here. Might go and enjoy the sunshine. be back later. Colleen

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8639136

Argggggggggh, I missed the carpet...!!! I was kidnapped to Long Island, NY of all places!

I saw where Copper had been lounging beside the red Adirondack chairs, and I was distraught beyond belief to realize you had all come and gone! The girls are beside themselves to have missed everyone. COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

Hi Jean! I have only my iPhone now for a bit, so I'll be lurking and limping in now and then until I'm fully computerized again. Google Chrome is refusing to work on our laptops and the storms have kept us in the dark and without socialization. I was afraid you'd think those dinosaurs had made off with us all...but no! Not yet. I'm here, I'm here!! For how long...who knows!!!??? Did you all get to pat Charlie at Charlene's????? Oh, the girls are so mad at me. They stayed with my son while we were on Long Island for Hank's brother's Family gathering. Bichons are famous for giving you the cold shoulder when you abandon them. Little do they know that they will be abandoned again for 2 days at the end of the month when we go away for Hank's Big Birthday trip to a golf resort on a lake in Vermont. He's always wanted to play there, so that's what I gave him for his 70th. Our golfing buddies will go along as well and the girls will be lovingly cared for by their groomer. She gives reiki massage, so they'll be okay. :) Thanks for stopping by and mowing the yard for us while we were away! Who put all the mulch down for me?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 18, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8639206

Hi Loise :) so happy to see you !

You found us again ...Charlene is back home enjoying her Summer Garden ...sounds like you are having a bad time with your weather.

Our Winter Sun is shining but there is cold wind (here ) ...hope you get your Google sorted, they reckoned the Sun Flares and the Blood moon eclipse would trigger weird things in our computers via the cyber waves.
My sister is a Reiki Master. :) Now don't go getting lost coming back from Vermont ...I think they all put that mulch down for you.

NZ is suffering poor things ...hugs Teresa.

Sorry about that video Jean but like moon said it was about happy memories of little ones singing it at bedtime, so very cute.
Don't go overdoing things out there today everyone, remember tomorrow is Monday again.
Here have one on me :)

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 1:10 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 18, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8639446

✪ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦ ❉ Hello Louise ✪ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦ ❉
I just knew you were not lost. No dinosaur wold dare touch the girls.
We did miss you when we visited but made sure to tidy after our stay.
It was fun to see Charley too.
All our animal passengers were very good. No digging in the garden and Cocky did not chew any of the chairs.
I thought I saw a bear down the back so kept safe inside the fence.
We will have to send the carpet over one day so you and Charleen can visit here.
I'm glad you and Hank had a great time away. Enjoy the new trip coming up. I'm sure the girls will forgive you if they get a treat when you come home. I hope all goes well and you get back on the computer soon.
Miserable , cold and wet here, so I am staying inside.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 19, 2011
12:38 AM

Post #8639559

Copper enjoyed lounging in the sun... nice contrast to the temperatures here lately, we made 10C today & it was foggy all morning, that icy mist that hangs about chilling you to the bone.
I forgot to take my Warbirds over Wanaka vest to dog club, I did have my wool jersey so wasn't freezing & while we were training it was warm enough.
When I took my class there was more standing around instructing and I felt the chill.
The tornado in the Nth Is. was big news here, we get plenty of tornadoes but mostly over water so not noticed.
It is rare for them to cause such damage but it seems to be happening more often.
Hubby heard some news that sun spot activity has slowed unexpectedly... the last time we had the sun in this kind of cycle it launched a mini ice age.
Well the weather has certainly been extreme over the last few years so I wonder what will come?

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 19, 2011
12:46 AM

Post #8639563

Hello everyone!

Nice day here at the Sunshine Coast.

Karen ...are you going to go to the Nambour Garden Expo in a few weeks time?

I am down to work on the Buderim Garden Club display on the Saturday from 2.00pm to 5.00pm.
I will probably go to Nambour in the morning and check out the Expo before I start my shift on the B.G.C. display.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 19, 2011
2:05 AM

Post #8639580

Jean-Funny you should talk about 'cocky', when i arrived to put him to bed tonight..,he'd torn 2 rungs off of his cage door ! i had to sew wire through it to stop him getting out and of course he was great in assisting me threading the wire!.,.the cage is nearly as old as he is,.,.,.maybe he had 1 too many 'jatz' biscuits.,.,but i think he may be picking up on raised voices and negativities within the house,.,.hmmmmm? .,.,,. Its raining here now,and warmed up just a little,.,.work tomorrow-Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!-not ,.,.,.,. TERESA_i just had a brainwave*****compare those lilies that you had with Lilium.Sargentiae-

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 4:22 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 19, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8639670

thanks Anthony, still nothing with that green colouring on the outer of the petals,
I wish I could remember whether it came from Mum or my boss.
They both had stems in the vase at the same time.
I have seeds from Mum so am hoping it is the greeny one.
Will have to get more photos of flowers & foliage come spring/summer to try & narrow it down more.
the pinky tinged one looks exactly like the pics of L. regale.
either way a welcome addition to my garden.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 19, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8640650

Good morning everyone. Cold here, even the heaters working flat out don't seem to be warming things up.

Marlene, I don't think we are going up for the garden expo. Should have the new car by then, and we'll be heading south to start with. But things can change, so I never say never except when I do.

Karen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 19, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8640780

Good on you Karen, make the most of it and have a good time gadding about. Don't forget red ones go faster.

Sadly we lost our little girl dog on Saturday. Molly (shih tzu X foxie) was only about 9 or 10 months old but had sure wormed her way into our hearts. We'd always struggled to put weight on her, but it didn't seem to be an issue for the vet when we asked. Anyway, she hadn't really eaten for over a week so we took her to the vet on Saturday, and it turned out her liver and kidneys were not functioning. Poor little button, little wonder she'd always been so skinny.

In nearly 20 years I've never seen my hubby cry before last week when he was so worried about her. She always loved the water and the sunshine, so we laid her to rest in the sunniest part of the garden. She'll be sadly missed.

Thumbnail by gardengal

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 19, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8640853

Good morning everyone. Not so good here. very windy and raining, but then its Winter, what do I expect ??
I get frustrated when I cant get out into the garden . I cant even work in the greenhouse because I have run out of potting mix.
Hubby bought me a large kitkat yesterday when he went for the paper. He must have noticed me chewing my fingers in frustration . lol
Pam, so sad about your little dog. She looks like she was a cutie.
Anthony, maybe Cocky wanted to get out and 'help ' you plant your bulbs . They can certainly chew through things when they want.
My corella , I had years ago, could open her cage whenever she liked but would never come out.
She would get her beak around somehow and lift and twist the catch.
They are great company.
Hello to everyone , I hope you all had a great weekend.
I am going to go and find something useful and domestic to do so I dont annoy hubby with my bored pacing ..lol.
Maybe he'll buy me another kitkat.
Try this Apple Cake with your cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8640931

So sorry about your little Molly, Pam. It is sad and hurtful to lose a pet no matter how long or short a time they have been a part of your family.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8641234

well 10 minutes of chat and it went poof ...coming back later
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 19, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8641510

Pam - such a shame about Molly, it is hard to lose them at any time but when they are so young it just seems unfair.
I still miss my boy Haski who was 7 when he died nearly 13 years ago, one day he was happy & healthy the next he was gone.
I was in such a state of shock that I helped the vet perform the necropsy to find out why Haski died but never thought to ask about cremating him.
I have my Chita's ashes, she was about 4 months short of 16 when we had to let her go, I was prepared for it but it was the hardest thing I have done apart from being with my father when he died.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8641548

Sorry everyone I should have made a copy of my chat this morning ...broke my own rule because I was in a hurry,

Commiserations on the loss of your puppy Pam ...poor little tyke.

Hope everyone is doing ok ...I need coffee right now, haven't had time so i truly need the real deal ...you know that poisonous one :) so I will be back (hopefully).
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 20, 2011
3:00 AM

Post #8641738

Thank you all for your kind thoughts

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 20, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8643116

Good morning everyone. I am not staying here long. Just opening the doors for you then I'm off to do things domestic. Very windy last night but not as bad as other parts. We had driving rain right at the time we had to leave to go to the CFA meeting and hail just as we arrived back home. Needless to say , we had a poor turnout. Some have to travel quite a way for the meetings, so I dont blame them staying home on miserable nights.
I have not been outside as yet and am postponing that as long as possible.
The wind has dropped a bit and it s not raining, but is very cold
I hope you are all safe and dry. Did I see someone mention sun ? What is that ?
Sit and relax with your cuppa and enjoy this lot of yummy Cream Cakes.
see you all later.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 20, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8643130

Good morning everyone. Jean we also had a good downpour of rain about 1-30am this morning. The winds still blowing and is very cold here too. Doesn't make it nice to do the things we have to do in the garden. Sorry to hear about your little pup Pam. It's always so sad when we lose our little friends. Must go and get the boys ready. They dress themselves but I still have to make sure they're tucked in properly and their ties are straight and their shoes done up. e back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8643163

Good morning ...well so far anyway ...big winds to come and they will have ash in them they say ...gosh if it's not one thing it's another. I wonder what colour the sky will be? they are cancelling the Plane flights.

Yes domestics for me too Jean.
I hope everyone can have some fun in the garden today ...rug up and get out as soon as possible before the weather turns nasty.
I will pop back after a few loads of washing etc.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8643164

Pam - your little Molly was a dear little angel, and I'm so sorry you have lost her. My condolences to you and your DH. I still miss my own Molly after two years, and the name must be fitting for little angel pups. I'm so sorry.
Louise
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 20, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8643166

Good Morning to All -
Pam so sorry about Molly's passing its hard when you lose a furry member of the family .---elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8643168

Loise hi ...sorry for your loss too ...hope the weather will be kind over the pond too ...stay cool :)

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 20, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8643885

Pam sorry for your loss of Molly.
I remember when I had to take Ronson to be put to sleep because of his age and he had arthritis .He was the uglyest dog ever with a big Terrier head and front and a Chihuahua tiny back and legs.
But the family loved him dearly.

I don't know if you believe this but when I would say to the boys "go and bath Ronson"... he knew what it meant and would run under the house and hide because he hated his wash.

Not a cloud in the sky again today and about 21degrees. Morning and nights still cold.
I spent some time in the garden and was surprised to find some pots of Oncidium (dancing ladies) sending up flower spikes. They don't usually flower until November.

Just sent hubby to buy me a watering can...I am worried about what he will come home with. He always buys the BIGGEST and BEST...I only want one I can manage.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8644008

I'm sorry to read about Molly, Pam. I hate it that we lose our pets, such an enormous source of love in our lives. My friends lost a little dog like yours, and it seems those breeds are susceptible to kidney problems. They can be such personality dogs too.

Not a red car, thank goodness. I don't like speed at all. A deep grey, quite spoofy really. Could be up to two weeks before he gets. it, as money needs to be transferred and ID stuff certified etc. I can wait. Been pottering about in the old Mazda all this time, can wait a bit.

Flowers are poor this season. Zygo's have been great though. Nearly finished now.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8645406

Good morning everyone.
The wind has nearly gone and the rain stopped for a while. I hope everyone in those storm areas are safe and dry .
I'm glad the rain has stopped because hubby has to do a very wet and cold job today.
The overhead tank that feeds the hot water system has sprung a large leak. After it finishes running out , hubby has to undo the pipe and redo it directly into the mains water from town. Most systems these days dont have the overhead tanks. They were there to add sufficient pressure for the shower etc. Usually in country areas.
It will be a job that requires me to be out of his way and out of hearing too, as there will be a few naughty words ,I am sure.
Nothing much can be done out in the garden as it is all wet and slippery I need to get out and rake up the leaves again. Makes for unsteady footing on the paths.
Lots of jonquils opening. All the anemones and ranuncs coming up. My dragon lily ( dracunculus) has 2 spikes shooting from the ground. I'm glad to see them as I moved it earlier this year, because it was in the way of the new greenhouse.
I must get to pruning the roses soon as they are all putting out new shoots.
I havea large cleaning up job to do when things dry out. All the kniphofias need cutting down . They have grown into a formidable low hedge. I like them , but they do get untidy. The hedge clippers will do the job. I have them where they can grow as they like and the other plants thread themselves up between them. Mostly pentsemons and a few daisies. With the agapanthus row in front , they do look very pretty when in flower.
My nasturtium lawn is growing well. I find them popping up in lots of places now I have let them get a foothold. Easy to remove any unwanted plants though . They do like climbing the fruit trees in the orchard. They make a good groundcover around the place .
Hello Elaine, Pam, Karen, Colleen and Dianne.
Hello Chrissy and Anthony too.
I am missing Charleen, Hope all is well there.
Hello Louise. you will be enjoying some lovely warm weather I hope.
I will pop out to the kitchen and see what I can give you all to nibble on.
One of my favorites, Blueberry Muffins.
Enjoy your day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 21, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8645415

Morning all, Jean you are probably opening the tea room as I write this...
I noticed that the snow is banked up to the door...
Pam, so sorry about Molly...It's a very painful time..

They have just shown shots of Bathurst, snow covered, beautiful but freezing...
A little bit of gardening with pots today...
My Bletillas arrived with 3 little bonus pks of bulbs, nice thought, but Freesias, Ixias and Babiana, i have everywhere, so I will pot them and take them up to my mother's nursing home...they have Daphnes everywhere and roses, but not many simple little old fashioned plants...so I've taken up some Iris and a plum tree...which might fruit this year...other relatives bring bits and pieces so the garden is getting an established look now.
Have a good day all.
Dianne

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 2:42 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8645580

Snow, Dianne ???...please, there is no cold in virtual land. I like warm.
I do allow a bit of snow around at Christmas, but not now, take it away ..lol
I hope you all realise that now that the shortest day has passed, it is downhill to Christmas.
Get the decorations ready...
Jean. ☃ ☃ ☃ ☃
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 21, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8646035

hello all,.,.im very busy,.,.a surprise pack of ''HUUUUUUUUUGE'' aureliens turned up unexpectedly,.,.,.,..,species bulbs turned up yesterday and still waiting on 2 more orders,.,.i am batching at the moment,so ive got the housework and animals to look after as well,.,.im doing my big lily talk tonight too!! -sorry about your pup ,pam,i know it hurts!!!!! My cardiocrinum giganteum is poking its spikes up,.,.maybe a flower this year????-anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8646200

Anthony, you definitely have liliumitius. Isnt it lovely though ? All those blooms to look forward to.
We will expect lots of pics then. We will be drooling over them all.
Good luck with your talk tonight.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 22, 2011
12:49 AM

Post #8646215

thanks,i'll stumble through it,veer off on another tangent and rebound to the finish,.,.ha ha!,.you should see the size of some of these aurelians[[baseball size]],.ive loaded up the car with potted/flowering tangos to sell and a coupla bulbs,..,
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 22, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8647432

Good morning everyone. Still dark here this morning. Very overcast. I hope the rain stays away as its shopping day.
Anthony, I hope you sold all your liliums. . How did your talk go ?
I am still watching the buds on the asiatic here. The wild weather didnt affect it even though the pot is around the windy side.
Hope everyone is staying warm and dry
Hello Chrissy, Teresa, Pam, Karen , Elaine, Dianne and Colleen.
Hello also to Louise and Charleen.
I am off, as hubby has to call in for a blood test on our way to Hamilton.
Try some of this delicious Chocolate Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

June 22, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8647935

Hello all,

Just popped in for minute...so many posts to read and this page is very long indeed.
Firstly, Pam I was so sorry to know that you have lost your little Molly. I adored my Sophie..she was our baby..(yes, we do have human children)...you will, in time, not be so upset but remember her with love and affection...my husband wept too...somehow they really do have a place in your heart don't they...
Teresa, I think of you often and admire your pragmatic approach to a insoluable problem. Keep safe. Keep us up-to-date.
Colleen, never a dull moment in your busy world. I don't know how you keep us with 2 active young boys, a garden that keeps expanding and the other demands of daily life. Maybe you eat 2 + weeties every morning...
Chrissy, do remember to take care of carer...really...it is so important...I hope that you have some respite from those daily obligations...stop to smell the roses...
Jean, how do you fit so much into one day? gardens, cooking, shopping...etc, etc...weary just reading your newsy posts...
I love looking at your beautiful gardens in their Winter coats and look forward to your Spring revelations. Thank you for the interesting links..they provide many ideas... Wish that I could join in with my own story. Still not sold...oh my.

Made a delicious walnut & date loaf yesterday, had 2 pieces ,warm with butter..not good for the heart but delish...do have a piece. Off to cook a cauldron of chicken & veg soup...
Stay safe, warm & healthy
Anna :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8647979

That Walnut and Date loaf sounds good, Anna...I just made a Carrot and Ginger...yum.

Teresa, which zone are you in? not RED, I hope...still at least the NZ government is trying to do something positive..How do the locals feel?
Another quake in Japan...more problems for them too.

Anthony, hope your speech and sales both went well...my Cardiocrinum hasn't popped thru yet..any day now.

Lots of Jonquils in vases, house smells lovely...
Bought these little Abutilons this morning...
They only grow to 50cm, so they are going into pots...they are not the lantern shape instead they are open faced..
They will look lovely when they grow.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

June 22, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8648021

Hi again,

Forgot to mention in my last post that I am looking for Tapestries, wool, frames etc. Cannot find anything of that kind anywhere on the Central coast nor in the southern Highlands. I've looked online at craft etc but unfortunately, whether it is my inadequate searching or whatever I can't locate a shop/outlet that sells Tapestires.
If anyone can help me I would really appreciative.
Many years ago I made so many and sold them...had a while off due to that car accident which left me crippled and now, after a long time I feel up to sitting down and making something delightful...if only for my eyes...
So, in anticipation of a plethora of of replies...
I await...with premature thank you x 10000000's
Anna ..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8648263

Anna, this is a good site for tapestries and supplies...very large range..
http://www.needlecraft.biz/ezimerchant/index.htm

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 23, 2011
12:06 AM

Post #8648303

I posted a link but it was one of those links that trick you so I took it out :

This message was edited Jun 23, 2011 6:08 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 23, 2011
12:11 AM

Post #8648307

you know it's Winter when we start to bake ...I haven't even had time to eat today so I feel a bit fuzzy, so back later, I hope everyone had a good day.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 23, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8648316

i had a great night,.got a bit nervous and sweaty,but covered many good points,.,.-even gave a practical demmo of unpotting a bulb,which is in a ''too small'' pot,..,talked about the 3 types of christmas lilys,.,.- it brought lily growers and seed growers out of the woodwork,..,i sold all but 2 pots,and all the bulbs..,[at 5 and 10 dollars a bulb] and i had a person wanting seed packets,.,.it was great,..,i felt like i had achieved a milestone and these people were seriously interested,..YOU SEE, im not just a pretty face!!!!!-Anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 23, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8648322

Who's a clever boy, then...sounds like you have some converts, Anthony..they were obviously impressed...
$5 and $10 per bulb...let's see now...100 x $5 + 100 x $10...are you good for a loan?...LOL
Well done...you will be getting a reputation as a fine Lillium grower...as if you hadn't already.
Dianne.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 23, 2011
2:00 AM

Post #8648343

Annabellaaust Have you tryed Spotlight .
Here is one of mine took me 3 months to do.------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

June 23, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8649389

Hi all.
Anthony, could you check your Dmail please. Thanks. W.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 23, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8649542

Jean, hope your hot water system is fixed now. Must be the cold, as Barry's went on him. He had to get a plumber in to fix it. I couldn't live without hot water in winter.

Anthony, well done on a successful night. I too look forward to your lilium pics, but right now it must be freezing there. Bad enough here. My birds were shivering yesterday so I partially covered them with a quilt. The sun doesn't get here during winter and I worry about them. About late morning they get a little bit for a short time, then thats it.

Anna, I hope you find those tapestry supplies. Good to keep into the crafts. I can't see well enough to do much anymore. According to latest eye test results, the problem is the beginnings of cataracts. At least I still have the plants to keep me busy and interested.

Elaine, over the years I have tried many crafts, but have never done a tapestry. Nor mosiacs. It is wonderful to see your work which is new to me.

A relaxing day ahead for me, apart from a short trip out for milk. Yesterday was a bit long and my shoulder really gave me heaps.

Hi to everyone and hope y'all have a pleasant day.

Karen

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 23, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8649711

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts re little Molly. It occurred to me the other day that our pets are really like the family members that we actually get to choose ... you know the old saying, you can choose your friends, but not your family? lol. I think deep down there is a place in most of us that our pets can fill that people cannot.

It's shaping up here to be another glorious day. The nights have been quite cool of late, but nice sunny days. I could do so much in the garden but somehow manage to while away so much of it with little Josh (7 months.) They're only young once, and I so love being a grandma.

I'm in the process of making a new grevillea garden at the moment. Hard work digging our horrible clay with a hip that doesn't want to cooperate, but it should hopefully look good by this time next year. I'd never noticed before but there seems to be so many grevilleas flowering now in winter when there is so little else for the birds. The wattles are just starting to burst their blooms too.

Anna, check the op shops for frames. I've picked up some lovely ones there at times. There are often actual tapestry frames (the type you roll the work on when actually doing the stitching) too, for very little money compared to what they cost in the shops. I picked up one on a stand for my daughter for just $5 a couple of months back.

It's always good to catch up with all you lovely people here in the tea room.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8649740

Good morning everyone.
Back to very cold this morning. After a miserable week of rain, yesterday was lovely. Fine and sunny. Not real warm but at least I didnt have to wear a coat.
Shopping day and not one plant came home. I saw nothing on the orphan shelf and nothing I really needed in the rest of the nursery. I did get more potting mix & seed growing mix plus a new bag of perlite.
I use a fair bit of it in my pots for seeds , cuttings etc. Luckily its cheap.
I have found that brug seeds do well in it mixed with a little peat from those bricks you soak.
Anthony, sounds like you had a great night. Next thing it will be our Anthony on TV.
I bet all your profits are going toward (dare i say it ) more liliums.
I look forward to seeing all the lovely blooms .
Dianne, those little abutilons look cute.
Chrissy, please look after yourself there too. It is so easy to forget to take a break when caring for another.
Karen, you take care of yourself too. It is hard when sight gets bad. My mum had cataracts and missed her reading a lot.
Hubby has had on eye done to remove cataracts .
It seems as we age, all the bits start going out in sympathy with one another.
Hello Pam, Elaine. Colleen and Anna.
Teresa, how are things going with your repairs. I hope you are all fixed up with the heating now.
Louise, give the girls a pat.
Charleen, hope all is well over your way. We do miss hearing about the longears.
Going to put out something nice for you all then go check on my seedlings etc in the greenhouse.
Here we are ..Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
Have a happy day and keep warm and safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 23, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8649863

Good morning everyone. We certainly have a lot going on in the thread that Jean started with her beautiful paintings. Have had a really busy week and to top it off yesterday I went up to the school and planted some succulents. I haven't finished yet but thought that the boys and I might go back on the weekend and do some more. It's a good way to get rid of some of cactus and succulents that I have plenty of. Branden has had his stitches removed and all is well. Good on you Anthony for your sales and looking forward to all the beautiful pics when they start to flower. Well. I have to get moving have a busy day and weekend ahead of me so will pop in when I've got a minute. All have a wonderful day and I'll be back later. Colleen. ps hey Jean how did you like the nearly black Salvia?

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8649867

Colleen, I read up on it and decided not to try one as it can be frost tender.
Have a look at this site for salvia info.
http://www.robinssalvias.com/blue/default.htm
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 23, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8650050

Jean, that's in the UK. Our frosts are nothing like their frosts. If you want one I'd just get it. My sister brought mine up from Adelaide for me as a gift. It's pretty striking and is doing well at the moment in a pot. I will put it out the front later. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8650610

Colleen, apparently it is frost tender here as well according to a couple of sites I checked. I may just buy one and see how it goes as all my others are doing well despite the cold.
We do not often get frost in the garden and it may stand the cold temps if a bit protected. For salvias here, try Sue Templeton . She has a great site.
I use Robins site for ID as his pics are lovely and have a brief description.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 23, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8650659

I love your painting thread Jean ...what talented people you all are.

Well the sun finally came out.

We have been getting frost almost every day except when the winds blow. We had a blackout for two hours last night due to trees down up the road, you don't realize how much you depend on things like the kettle and heater when it's freezing cold, I thought of you Teresa.
More trouble over your way ...sorry to hear it.

Hey Anthony well done mate!!!
Good for you :)

I hope everyone is enjoying your day ...back after I catch up on some stuff ...my whole day gone yesterday as I had a nice man here checking out the equipment my brother needs to try and move around ...he was here from just after 10.30 to just before three ...the whole day just went poof ...into smoke. I miss my garden when the sun is out but I can't go play. Today the nurse was gone just after 11 ...time just vanishes.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 23, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8650679

a lovely 'potting up liliums' rain is falling,.,.knocked off early today and my 2nd tonkins box has arrived,.,.im getting around with a bit of''spring'' in my step,.,.almost out of soil again,.,.''it dont stop'',..,some of these aureliens are bigger than baseballs,.,.5 months to wait!!!!can i do it?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8650692

I thought I saw a daffie, I did , I did ... There are 3 daffodils out. It must be spring..
Anthony, we are all here willing those bulbs of yours to grow beautifully so we can all enjoy them.
I have a shoot popped up in one of my lilium pots. Didnt look at the label as it was raining and I was hurrying past.
Colleen, I just bought a Salvia discolor. Weak of me , I know, but I do like the color. The bracken fronds I put over the smaller plants should protect this one too. I also have the fronds over my cannas which are shooting away madly.
Going to have my cuppa and a handful of dates. I buy my dates in Aldi and they are certainly moreish.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 23, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8650727

Haven't got Daffies out yet, Jean...they won't show their faces 'til late winter here...
My Cannas will be planted this weekend...they make lovely background plants...

The nights are scented now by the Brunsfelsias and the white Vireyas...lovely perfume...

Busy weekend ahead, so have a good one everyone.
Good luck with Carlton, Anthony...If the Bombers don't win the game, then I hope they win the fight...lol
Cats are cruising..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 24, 2011
12:52 AM

Post #8650755

have a good weekend everyone,if i dont catch up,..,i can see mine will be busy too-housekeeping and spending time with my furries and feathered ones,..,a re-union to go to-shopping[where does it end]?-anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8652053

I know you are going to be jumping again. this is a long one. Moon told me I was on the "missing list"
some old woman and a mule on the loose, How bad is that??? I was getting ready to look for you all again. I don't know how I keep losing you all. all the desserts are yummy and glad the little boy got his bleeding stopped.
Yopu were talking about pepper will make the bleeding stop. It also good for a temporary fix for a leaking radiator. So I guess Just toss your pepper into the radiator and it will stop the hole up til it is repaired.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 24, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8652214

Good morning everyone. Showery yesterday after a lovely day Thursday. Today looks like more showers. Its not that I mind the showers, its that I cant get out with the Roundup and I hear the weeds laughing at me all the time.
Oh well , lots of bending exercise, weeding during Spring again.
Charleen, you found us. Yes you were missed. I was going to send the carpet with a sniffer dog to find you.
Hugs for Charlie.
Hello Anthony, have a great weekend, I see you potting madly. Be careful, you may get lost among the liliums .
Hello Dianne, yes , my daffies are rather early this year. I am hoping its a sign of an early Spring.
Lots of buds everywhere on the trees and on my magnolias too.
Chrissy, I hope your brother is feeling a lot better and able to move around more. Please dont forget to take a break yourself.
Hello Elaine, do I hear the sound of lino being torn up for painting on ? lol
Hello Colleen, your garden should be a mass of new buds too, being slightly warmer than here.
Is John going to build you another shadehouse ? They soon fill up dont they ?
Hello Teresa, hope all is well with you over there and that your heating etc is working.
Hello Pam, Karen, Anna. . Hope you are all keeping warm and feeling well.
hello Louise, I know you are out there somewhere. hugs for the girls.
I am happy to say that our house water is going okay now. Hubby simply removed the join to the overhead leaking tank and now we are straight into the mains pressure which gives a real shower, instead of the trickle we have endured . This was one of those examples of years of different owners doing their own repairs to things. Our outside taps are all off the mains , but the house water was from the overhead tank.
There is a maze of old pipes going who knows where. You all would have seen similar , I;m sure.
The pipes in some of the old farms I used to rent were a nightmare. Some had been concreted over when a veranda was put in. One place had plain garden hose under the house as water pipes.
Better move as I want to plant a few seeds today out in the greenhouse. The sun is coming up over the trees and shining in the window here.
Have some of this Chocolate Banana Cake and enjoy your weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 24, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8652257

Good morning everyone. I was up very early this morning and I've been trying to help Elaine with that roll of lino. lol A lovely clear morning but I think Jack may have been out there again. It's 2C now . Nice and warm in here though. Yes Jean lots of buds on everything. The Hardenbergia violacae has heaps of buds again this year. It was a picture last year. The boys are up and have had breakfast, and are now playing with Lego and the Maccano. Keeps them busy til they can go outside to play. I must get out there and finish pruning the roses. Nothing seems to be without flowers and I don't like cutting buds and flowers off, but I need to tiy everything up. Front garden here we come. Must go and have brekkie and take tablets and get a start to the day. Enough loafing around now. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 24, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8652365

Morning everyone!
Hi Charleen so pleased to see you :)
Give him a pat for us, Moon thanks for pointing the way ...

Well the sun is out so even though it's still cold I am out the door before my brother needs his next lot of stuff so bye until later ...enjoy your morning everyone!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8653205

Charley and I send lots of Love and nuzzles. I don't know how I lose you all so easy. They don't call me "Bumble" for a good reason. I just bumble around and lose you so I can run like mad and catch back up.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 25, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8654123

Good morning everyone. You must all be having a sleep in today. Anyway just thought that I would pop in and put the kettle on and I'll come back when you're all up. Jack's around again so put your slippers on. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8654182

Good morning everyone. Thanks for putting the kettle on Colleen. It is nippy here too. Looks like it may be a nice day. Yesterday would have been a beautiful day except for the freezing wind. It comes in from the north and whistles around right where I like to work in the sun.
Lots of new buds on everything. I must prune the roses so they can let themselves grow madly. I have a new project to start . I have an old small shadehouse on the north side of the house. It was built for the aporocacti which I am getting rid of. I have already sold most and will hopefully get rid of the last ones. They are not one of my favorite plants but they came with the epis and have hung around ever since. Too prickly to do much with. The flowers are beautiful but only for a short time in spring. I am going to put new beige shadecloth on the top, clear the sides and make a few benches , then the orchids will move in.
I need the space where the orchids are now for the brugs.
Talk about musical chairs. Do you all find the same thing. ? Having to move plants as some grow into collections and some wear out their welcome.
Better say hello to all before I ramble on too much.
Charleen, do you click on the 'Watch Thread ' at the top of the page ? You will always find us then as we will be on your homepage.
Hello Colleen and Dianne. your gardens are looking very pretty.
Hello Chrissy, hope its getting warmer for you.
Hello Teresa, hope the shaking is easing off for you there.
Hello Pam, Karen and Elaine. I hope you are all feeling fit and waiting for summer.
Anthony, the Lilium man. I cant wait to see all your liliums in spring/summer. Mine are starting to poke their little heads up.
Hello Louise, we are missing you and would love to see a pic of the girls again.
I will put out an old favorite of mine for you all.
Lovely Lamingtons
Happy day.
jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 25, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8654185

Its cold and fog here its like my house is wraped in cotton wool cannot even see the house next door .------elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8654258

Same here Elaine ...brrrr

Back after it warms up a bit ...stay warm everyone !
Except for our lovely friends over the ditch.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8654390

Hi Everyone! Ok, Dear Jean, here's a recent shot of the girls in front of my vegetable garden that is barely up and going with all the rain we're having. I thought my internet connection problems were solved, but no! In and out and so much to catch up on when I do get it back!

Pam - your words about our pets touching a place in our hearts that family can't even reach struck such a cord with me. So true! Our little girls spent the day with our groomer today to prepare them for an overnight with her this coming week. It is so nice to see that they like her very much. She happens to be a Reiki Master also, and she has a gentle manner, so that makes it nice for all. Hank and I went on a plant adventure and I added some new daylilies and heuchera for the back gardens. We had quite the adventure!

Chrissy - speaking of baking - I made some cookies for a DG friend whose house we were supposed to go to today for a garden tour.. We had to postpone until tomorrow because of predicted thunderstorms. Sorry to confess that he will get MOST of the cookies I baked for him. I just can't bake anything without being bad!

There are three lovely deer up at the top of our meadow right now. It is just a lovely time of year here and I hope you are all enjoying the cool weather you are having there.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8654396

The roses are all filled with blooms. They like the rainy weather!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8654400

You can see the stone wall garden that I've been re-planting with various plants from around the yard. This is where we removed about 500 orange ditch lilies that are now lining our dirt road.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8654406

This is the same garden from another angle, with shade plants at the closest end and the daylilies and sun plants in the center section.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8654411

My Friendship Garden has also had some "reconstruction". There are baby chickadees in the birdhouse, which was a gift last year, made by a DG friend, the one who will receive "some" of the cookies that had his name on them yesterday.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8654437

a grouping of miniatures - a dwarf arborvitae my grandsons gave me for Mother's Day and a teeny Japanese Maple you can almost miss. That's it for tonight...Hope the shakes subside and peace and calm reigns over your beautiful part of the world!
Louise (waiting for the carpet to land on the way back!)

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 25, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8654482

OOOOOOOOOOH! what a night..im a bit of a 'slow walkin sam' today,..,but i had fun-anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8654550

Hello Louise. I do hope your computer woes are over soon. I love your garden. The girls are looking beautiful. Have a great time on your outing and give the girls a pat.
Anthony, what did you do last night ????? Hmmmmm
Better get lunch on . The day just looks worse out the window. I am not going out there at all.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 25, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8654764

Your garden in NH is so lovely, Louise...I suppose one day you will have to decide, which home to keep...Are you far from town there? what a decision...
We had to make one similar a few years ago and chose the beach option and never regretted it for a moment...
The girls and the scarecrows is a funny pic...

Anthony, hope that you are feeling better now...self inflicted, mate?...good to catch up though.
I repotted all of last years baby Liliums, some of the bubs were surprisingly large...they look very healthy..it will be great when they flower...the Duchatreii looks good too, but still fairly small...hope it behaves this year and grows to the top of the pot not, out of the drainage holes...
All very exciting, now that I can actually see the bulbs...thanks for starting me off on this Lilium journey.
I will have to wait and see with Nepalense, it did grow a couple of leaves last year, but because it was so tiny, I put it in with some others, now I don't know which one it is...

Charleen, Charley has started early with his 4th of July celebrations it seems...don't forget to Watch this thread...

Sun is shining brightly here, probably not for long though...sweet smelling Vireya below.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 25, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8654826

duchatrei will stay small,as a lot of species bulbs do-or are! they only have wispy stems and few flowers,.,.sit your pot up about a foot ,during bloom season,.,.,.Yes!!!last night,i was a speedway legend,that many of the young chaps had only heard about,.,.and i got to present one of my handmade perpetual trophies from 16 yrs ago,,,watched some legendary race 'dvd's' not videos ,laughed till tears came out of my eyes,had a good meal,washed down with 4xxxx and more 4xxxx and then about another 10,.all of the old drivers there chatted,many have died or dying and many just didnt come along ,.,.a great night

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8654875

Boys and their toys, Anthony.
I used to love going to the old Tracys Speedway in Melbourne, way back when.
glad you enjoyed reliving the old glory days.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 26, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8654961

Anthony - glad you had a good night... sad when you can look around & count those who are gone.
Working at an RSA I get that every so often.
At one time on a Friday my boss & I would join the regular Navy boys & raise a glass to those who couldn't join us...
the list started to get pretty long.
the liquor licensing folk decided staff drinking on duty was not acceptable any more, we had to sign a memo to say we wouldn't do it.
Hard some times to turn down the offer of a drink when it is nearly closing & there are only 3 people in the bar & they all want you to take a break & join them.
With the way things are going at work I don't dare give them any excuse to sack me.
All it would take would be one person to tell the boss what time & they could check it on the security camera.
Paranoid... hmmm - or maybe a realist.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8655438

I will keep tab Jean. i just get wandering sometime, it doesn't mean I don't think of all my mates in Australia and stateside too.
We got some rain this last week perhaps Charley and the donkey kids will get some fresh grass to eat. I hope so. It has been dry. Every bit of rain is appreciated. Beautiful days, just warm.
You all have a great day.
Hugs and nuzzles

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 26, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8656117

Good morning everyone. Still the cold wind here. Yesterday nothing got done . It looks like being the same today so I will just have to get out and do things regardless.
Charleen, Charley looks very wise standing there watching us.
Hello Pam, Karen, Colleen, Dianne, Chrissy, Anthony and Teresa.
I am going to go out and start early today, before I change my mind.
Plants to move , seeds to sow, roses to prune.
I will leave something nice in the kitchen for you all and move myself.
Try this GingerBread Cake.
Happy day, stay safe and warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8656133

Oh, he is wise. He figures if he stands there long enough and looks pitiful someone will feed him a cookie.. Very wise mule is our Charley.☺
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 26, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8656152

Lovely to see Charley's happy face again. Missed you, Charleen.

Hi Jean. Love the nibblies you leave out for us.

Hi everyone. Cold and grey morning here. We've been spoiled for a short while with glorious days, too nice to be indoors. Not so this morning.

I am going to be spending some time moving pots out of my car port, as Barry should pick up his new car later this week and when he is here, it will need to be under cover. I'm not complaining, as the pots were never meant to take over the carport anyway.

Bunnings are trying to make themselves THE garden shop to visit, I think. All sorts of new plants, including Liliums, bromeliads, cactus, tillandsias, even the odd epiphyllum. They have a bit to learn, but at least they are trying new things.

Have a lovely day.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8656224

So glad to be back, some of my new creations...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 26, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8656323

Just popped back in for a cuppa.
Charleen, I love the seahorses. We get them down along the coast here. I havent seen them myself, but hubby has when fishing years ago.
Better move, washing awaits.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 26, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8656859

Hi everyone ...spent half an hour trying to post ...thrown off again ...hopefully ok later
waving to everyone.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2011
2:11 AM

Post #8656982

I see they have been re arranging the furniture here in d's g ...everything is moved left and there is a gap at the top as you enter ...I think my Nortons has a problem with the pop up or something, but hopefully this will stay here long enough to post.

Charleen love your little thingies and I am so happy you and Loise have found us again, now where is moon? ...it's pretty quiet in here because it's Winter and it's cold , no not your kind of cold but cold enough. :-) Loise your place is just lovely :-)

Anthony and Teresa good thing you both have a good sense of humour and enjoy a bit of fun, it really helps when things get a bit tough, Teresa I hear you poor people are still rumbling away over there,I sure hope it settles soon. I suppose the jobs may be few and far between in some places, that's almost as scary as the rumbling in these times. I am sure your customers would all walk out if they got rid of you.

Jean how did you go today, I got almost nothing done ...my home is so busy on Mondays what with this and that and people coming and going. I see some new growth on my Brugs ...some of them have been fooled by a few sunny days, poor things are going to get a rude shock soon although we are having light frosty mornings.

That's a lovely Vireya Dianne ...how cold is it your way ...your garden is warmer than ours by the look of it. It's usually visa versa.
I had better post this off before it disappears again so enjoy your evening everyone.
A big wave to one and all.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8657183

Moon is the one who found me wandering around. She will be popping in before too long..
I enjoyed making the seahorses...Thank you.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8657278

The seahorses are so cute Charleen. Now I know if you wander, I just need to follow the paint trail...GRIN.

Good Morning to you all. We are still in the high30's (C), but we did get some rain also...the weeds are leaping with joy. LOL

Good thoughts your way Teresa...I know it must be terribly wearing on you all.

Hope you all have a warmer day with lots of sunshine.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8657674

It's all clay MOON, you'll have to follow the clay crumbs...and believe me there are some...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8657829

Ahhh Sculpy crumbs...LOL. My DD and I used to make beads for jewelry with polymer clay.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 27, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8658032

Good morning everyone. Pretty cool here again, but beatiful days. Well all the roses have been pruned, now to get to the oleanders and the front garden is just about ready for some more brugs. Oh, that is going to be a sight if I can get them to all flower at once. Can't wait. Sugar Pink and Ecuador Pink are standards with lovely umbrellas so I will be able to put them out there over already existing plants. Charleen you have been busy. I like the little seahorses too. Hello Moon. Nice to see you both popping in. Louise your garden is looking as beautiful as always and the girls are real young ladies now. I must try to get the nectarine trees pruned today. Have an appointment for Cameren first then the rest of the day is mine. The AC has just cut out, so Jack must be out there again. The boys are still all snuggled up in bed so hopefully it wont be long before it de-ices. The kettle's on Jean. Everyone have a lovely day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 27, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8658192

Good morning everyone. Very nippy here too, this morning. Hubby will let me know if there is frost around. I am not going outside until I see lots of sun.
Yesterday was a beautiful autumn day. Lots of sun and no wind at all. I did all the rose pruning although as soon a sI went outside after lunch, clouds came up and a few spots of rain appeared. I persevered and the cloud went . Seems the Man upstairs always lays in wait for me to go outside then rains on me. Hubby thinks its funny and says I should be pleased to get any rain. I know the weeds are pleased.
I cut the kniphofias back too. I am going to move the ones along the roses as they grow too big. It was not a good idea to put them there. They can go out at the back gate where they can grow as large as they want. I will have room for three more roses then.
The old kniphofias are quite okay where they are and I love the tall pokers in summer among the agapanthus.
I will cut some of their leaves back though as I need to tidy up the bed next to them for some poppy seeds which I am going to try yet again. . I have a garden full of the orange Californian Poppies but so far have failed to get any other colors to grow.
I am hopeful of having all the garden tidied up by the weekend. I can then see if I have any spaces for something new. .

Hello Charleen and Moon. hugs for Charley . Moon what is going on in your garden at the moment ?

Hello Louise. I think I need to come over there and relax in the sun near your garden shed, away from our cold.

Hello Chrissy, hope you r garden is doing well. I see you walking through a forest of angels.

Hello Pam and Karen, are your aches and pains easing off with a bit of warmer weather ?

Colleen, my winter hippie grew well but no flower this year at all. Hopefully next year.
My small Arum hygrophyllum is coming up again . I am still puzzled as to where it came from. Such a pretty little thing.

Hello Teresa, how are things going with your heating now ? It is terrible to see the aftermath of disasters like the earthquake. Loss of homes, jobs etc.

Hello Anthony, have you recovered from your night out yet ?
my triumphator is poking its head up in the pot now.

Hello Dianne and anyone else out there.
Time I had another cuppa.
Here something to have with yours. Pumpkin Cake. yummm.
Happy day, stay safe and warm.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 27, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8658196

Fog...it's a real pea souper this morning.
Your garden sounds pretty, Colleen...hope you warm up again soon.

Talking of clay crumbs, back in the 80s little ornaments made of dough were very popular...I had one in the shape of a plaited loaf of bread...when I tired of it, I put it in a cupboard and forgot about it.
Then one day some months later, I opened the cupboard door and out flew all this fluffy stuff...
Evidently the yeast in the dough had flowered, due to the warmth in the cupboard...It was everywhere.
I had to use the vaccum to pick it up, it kept floating away..lol

It's cold Chrissy, but the days are sunny...so it's a typical Winter now...
Isn't it a great time of year...the garden is full of promise.

I will put out the cups, Jean...I am dying for a cuppa...
Have a good day all.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8658389

Too funny Dianne re salt dough recipes ...I made so many things with that

http://www.adelle.com.au/salt-dough

Now that is something we can all do easily.
I always sealed mine with that clear craft stuff that drys clear and leaves a shine.
I would love to have been a fly on the wall though when you discovered the fluffy stuff.

Clay crumbs huh ladies ...Lol I hope you are surviving your heat.

I love our sunny Winter days here, it always looks like someone painted the sky in sapphire blue, the sun is gentle enough to work under without burning.

I had better get out there right now actually, my brother is asleep and everything is peaceful right now so perhaps I can slip out there for a while.

Back soon ...enjoy your morning

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8658589

Hello everyone. Hope you are all warm and healthy.

Hi Jean. Right now my garden is sprouting weeds at an alarming rate...we finally got some decent rain, but it brought a host of small hungry mosquitoes and fire ants...but that has not stopped the daylilies from putting on a lovely show and the crape myrtles are exploding with color. The coneflowers are in full bloom and the rudbeckia is setting nice fat buds. We are continuing the battle against the huge (4 in +) lubber grasshoppers. They can devour a crinum lily in a single day. I told my Grandson i would give him a dime (he is 16 and nickels don't work anymore...grin) for every Lubber he disposed of...I now owe him a little over $30...yup, we are having a plague of them.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 27, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8658906

jean,sounds like your triumphator is going great guns,.,..im off with a bad back-winter has got my arthritis rumbling and i strained it getting in the car yesdy,.,.awkward getting the wood up inside,but i have to or i'll freeze!hd painkillers and a few anti-flammos,im usually right in 4-5 days.,.,one good thing about winter,..,it only comes 1nce a year!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 27, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8659078

Moon, you are on the right track with paying your grandson. Gives him pocket money and gets rid of some of your peskies.
We were lucky here in the locust plagues as the locusts rarely come this far down.
My day lilies are having some sort of mental block as they have been sending up a flower or two right through autumn and even now , in the cold, new buds are appearing.

Anthony, be careful with your back. You need to be fit for all the lilium work in Spring. I know how you feel and it isnt very good to be laid up.
Trouble is we need to use the parts that ache.

I have been out in the sun but am now resting. I set myself a limit these days , in how much I do in the garden.
Gone are the days of just keeping on going until the whole job is done. It used to annoy me if I didnt finish a job , but I think I have gained a little wisdom along with the arthritis.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8659124

Moon what a pity we don't enjoy dipping those big grasshoppers in chocolate like some of our Asian friends, they also fry them until crunchy too (retching at the thought ...sorry). You grandson will be rich if those rascals are like our hordes here. Thank goodness we don't have fire ants in my area, perhaps in QLD. The mozzies are the size of helicopters though (well seems like it).

Golly I remembered why I am not crazy about Summer ...I quite enjoy Winter but yes a little stiffness in my back when I first get out of bed ... luckily it goes away after I move around a bit.
Take it easy Anthony , I can't imagine the pain ...and don't want to.
You too Jean and anyone else with chronic pain that gets worse in the cold, rug up and treat yourself kindly.
You only get one body.
My hippies have been blooming for weeks now, not one day lily this year because of our no sun Summer.
I have enjoyed my day ...actually had some quiet and a bit of time for a little gardening.
The poor plants are so mixed up ...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 28, 2011
1:02 AM

Post #8659163

Hello everyone!

School holidays here in Queensland so I am busy with the grandboys.
Looking for a biscuit receipe I found these fun shapes

Thumbnail by Marleneann

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
1:27 AM

Post #8659174

*Blushing * here Marlene ...how old are your grand sons again?

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 28, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8659210

Chrissy they are not old enough for these biscuits.
However... I did save the pic... never know when the Minister comes for afternoon tea.*G*

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 6:36 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8659453

I like it. I could make you some "clay cookies" like that. those are ''sorta'' cute in an onery sort of way...
fireants, YUK. my chickens keep them scared away. they are not as bad as they used to be. Or maybe it is the heat and they are going down into the ground...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8659746

Hi Jean...don't you just love the tenacity of Daylilies? truly one of Nature's tough guy beauties.

YUCK to the chocolate grasshoppers Chrissy...these guys are so nasty, nothing eats them. They have no predator but humans. They produce a tobacco juice-like liquid that is poisonous to other critters (non-human) and they "spit" it when threatened.

I actually read where they were, many years ago, collected and sold to a drug company that made cough syrup from them. UGH! Think that is where they got the nickname "Creosote Grasshopper" 50 years ago, when i was a kid, an elderly man in our neighborhood would pay us 3 cents for each one we caught alive.One summer i earned enough to buy a pair of shiny patent leather shoes...GRIN (it was the '60's and I was 10)

Hey Charleen. The stinking ants are hiding under the mulch in the beds...such a nasty surprise when you yank out a weed and scatter them. I don't think QLD has the fire ants, but they certainly have those stinging green ants which hurt just as bad.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8659898

I get them if flowerpots too, Moon. I can't stand them.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 28, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8660418

We have had fireants for a couple of years, Moon. They apparently arrived in a shipping container. At this stage they're restricted to a small section in the south east of Queensland, but efforts to contain and eradicate them seem to have limited success.

Pam

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8660430

from what I understand they can just walk right on board a boat with those tow ropes they use. I hope you all can get rid of them before they become real bad.

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 28, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8660458

They were hopeful that they'd gotten them under control by the end of last winter, but come Spring their numbers ballooned again.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8660491

The scary thing is that they float. Good luck in the fight. Here we use Fenoxycarb...a form of birth control and a chiton inhibitor. My DH also uses a granular bait/poison called AMDRO...but when all else fails, I will drench a nest with boiling water from my kettle to get the small nests.

I am truly sorry to hear that they have moved into QLD...like the Southern US that is a near perfect home for them. Should you happen to have an encounter with them, their sting contains Formic acid. We use Windex, an ammonia based window cleaner, to spray the bites...the ammonia helps to neutralize the formic acid and eases the sting.

I hear you Charlene...they enter through the drain holes and can destroy the roots before you know they are there. They will makes their nests under perennials and do the same thing.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8660568

Good morning everyone. Looks like another lovely day here as the sun sneaks up over the trees. Yesterday, I finished off the rose pruning and also cut back the kniphofias I am moving. Today will be clearing out a garden bed day. I definitely must get all the poppy seeds in so out come the old plants .
i'm so glad we dont get those fireants here. I did meet the green ants when up in Darwin.
My most prolific pests here are the slugs and slaters.
The slaters live in and under pots by the millions. They are always inside too. They dont seem to bother any pot plants but the slugs eat enough to make up for the lack of any snails on our hill.
I hate sluggies Ugh

Moon, your garden sounds lovely, have you photos ? Yes, daylilies are really tough. Strangely , my plants which usually die back in winter, have not this year. They have had a flower here and there right from last summer.

Hello Charleen, I hope the chickens eat all those pests for you. I do miss my hens, but too many foxes here to get any more.
I bet Charley would like those biscuits, Marlene.

Anthony, I hope you are feeling better today after a good rest. I'm still watching those buds on the L. 'Dimension'. taking a while to open in the cold.
I bought some lilium seeds from eBay. Couldnt resist as they were so cheap. I know I have to wait a while but something to look forward to. ( L. szovitsianum )

Hello Pam , Karen, Chrissy and Dianne. Also Teresa and Louise.
I am putting out something yummy for you all.
You can see most of the cakes etc on Joy of Baking.
Try these Orange Pineapple Muffins.
Happy day, Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8660630

Charley would eat those muffins too, Jean. He is a eating machine. What are slaters?? like our rolly bugs???? Need to look it up.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8660677

Morning all on this foggy morn...will be a beautiful day later..
I went to the Geelong Gardens yesterday, it was so still, great day for photos...I was looking at their collection of Salvias, most of them were finished...but there was this beauty still flowering and the bush was full of flowers...the colour was a much darker purple, than the pic...It was a S. iodanthe...

My rose "The Endeavour" came in yesterday, so planted it in a large pot...looking forward to it's first flower...
I had a look at your Lilium purchase, Jean...very pretty flower...
It's amazing how quickly they do grow...I was surprised at the size of some of my bulbs when I potted them up.

Moon, that's a good tip re the Windex...it would probably work on other bites too.
The fog is lifting, so off to see what's happening in the garden.
Have a good day everyone.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8660691

Good morning everyone ...Charlene "rolly bugs" is a good description of slaters ...they look like tiny armadillos and curl into a ball when you touch them, they are related to lobsters and crabs

http://lifeunseen.com/index21.php
They like wet areas under mulch and stones.

Still no day lilies at all this year, no sun I think that's why.
You can keep those Fire Ants thanks ...and gosh our giant grass hoppers at least do not spit on us Wow that's awful!
The stink bugs are bad enough.

Well better go look at some other stuff before my 10 am chores list starts Have a lovely day everyone ...
Here comes the rain again.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 28, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8661195

testing
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 28, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8661228

hello,dg is working now[i hope]--jean, [once again] i purchased szovitsionmnmumm#? last night as well,.,.along with candidum[the old christmas lily] and the pinky /purple turks cap..i had a 'dot com' lily in bloom, so i took it down to the cemetary,.,.im still walking about like a 1/2 shut pocket knife,but ill be ok,..,back to work tomorrow,.

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8661373

Anthony that is a beautiful lilium.
I also bought the candidium seeds . I was looking at the pink/ purple too.
I very nearly bought seeds fro the vanilla lily. I must stop or I will be lost in a sea of liliums.
I will leave that to you.
I havent had any probs with DG.
I used to get thrown out by Firefox , but that has settled down now.
Dianne, I just planted my salvia discolor and salvia iodantha. I also had seeds of s. pentsemonoides and s. dominica.
I now have 30 salvias in the garden and seeds and cuttings growing in the greenhouse.
Even my supposedly frost tender ones have done well here this year.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 28, 2011

Post #8661386

still have a few of these 'dot com 'left,..,people snapped them up like crazy,..,the supplier made a mistake and an old lady phoned me to say she had 2 the same..so i took her out one of these and a small pot of mini daffs..i ended up touring her garden and veggie patch..[good service gets good customers]
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8661413

Save me one please Anthony. I will be wanting more as I see different flowers later.
Jean
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 28, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8661417

i'll have to make ''jeans lilium corrall'' as i seperate them from the herd..ive still got empty pots here, with''hold for jean'' written on the side,.,.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
11:39 PM

Post #8661457

What's a girl to do, Jean...Liliums, Zygos, Brugs, Iochromas, Salvias and Epis and all the others.
Your husband must sweat when you go near the computer...
and now Anthony is setting up your own Lilium corral...lol

Here is a pic from the Gardens yesterday.
I know it's a bit of vanity, but I loved the way it turned out...:-)

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 29, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8661468

Dianne, I think that pic is beautiful. I've pinched it and set it as my background. I hope you don't mind. Thank you. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2011
12:40 AM

Post #8661474

Colleen, you have made my day...thank you...every time my husband has looked at it,
He says" What's special about it?''

You obviously have very good taste...lol
Here is a cacti one for you...
This tree has been supported ever since this part of the gardens opened a few years ago now...
There is one of them in a house across the road from our supermarket...It is taller than this one...

'Night all.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 29, 2011
2:25 AM

Post #8661492

Jean-dont look at the new seeds on e-bay tonight[especially the auratum]

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8661635

that is a magnificent picture. I would be proud too!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8661899

Diane, those are both lovely pictures.You are certainly entitled to some bragging rights...your gardens are just lovely.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 29, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8662590

Good morning everyone.
Yesterday was lovely. I was outside in the garden without my jumper. I have planted my poppy seeds so I look forward to another year with none appearing. I'll get a shock if they grow. Hopefully , the winter planting may be the secret.
I also planted out a couple of new salvias and some salvia seeds.

Anthony, do I need a horse to ride around the corral ? I'm not good with a lasso if any try to escape. lol
Fancy telling me not to look at seeds or plants. Now you know, I will just go there immediately to see whats new.

Dianne, I love your photos. . I see so many that are just taken willy nilly , no thought to the composition of the pic. You took the time to frame something worth looking at.
Like Colleen, I save lots of pics for the desktop wallpaper. I like to change the pics all the time. Hubby thinks I'm mad. He is quite happy to just have a plain screen.
Hubby has developed a blind spot where plants and I are concerned. He doesnt look when I head for plants.
He really loves showing the garden off though and is proud of my efforts.

Hello moon, I should call you Jean, but then I think I'm talking to myself. lol. Your garden sounds pretty. Do you take photos, we would love to see some ?

Today we are going over to Mt Gambier. I am hoping the day is as nice as yesterday.
Look out plants, here I come.
Colleen , I will go up to the cactus garden there again and see what its doing. When ever I see lots of cacti, I always think how much Brian would have liked them.

Funny how certain things remind us of people. I have a few of Leisas broms here and think of her when I look at them.
I have lots of plants around from both living and passed on friends. One can hold lots of little mental conversations while wandering around.

Hello Louise, hugs for the girls.
Charleen, give Charley a cookie from the kitchen.
Hello Pam, Karen, Chrissy and Teresa.

Better get out to the kitchen and leave something yummy for you all.
Have some of this, but only a slice each, its too decadent for more. Chocolate Cheesecake.

Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8662672

Calling me Moon is fine, Jean...it has been my nickname for years so I am used to it. no sense in adding confusion. i am searching for the disk my DH downloaded pics to. He does that periodically saying my garden clutters the memory...LOL I don't think it is the garden cluttering memory. Most everything on my laptop is close-ups of flowers or the grandkids. i am sure the garden pics are around here somewhere.

I agree wholeheartedly on conversations with friends in the garden. i have a small private Memorial garden dedicated to friends, family and even pets that are no longer able to walk with us. I find that is where i go when I have something on my mind.
I did find this straggler...a quick pic of a bed across the front of the house.

Good Day to you all. I hope it is a happy one for all.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 29, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8662684

Good morning all. My daughter found a recipe for a Toblerone cheesecake and made it a couple of Christmases ago, and gee it was yummy! Very rich though.

Have been busily planting grevilleas in 'Molly's Garden' - they will make a nice screen when neighbours eventually build next door. With our horrible soil it takes most of the time just to dig a couple of holes. I've found that gypsum does a good job of breaking up the clay before too long though, so once Spring hits and the roots are wanting to venture much further than the holes the soil should be nice and friable for them.

After the months of rain we had in Spring and Summer and the good soaking that the ground got at the time, it finally looks like I'll have to start watering again - all uphill with a bucket, so not much fun.

Do any of you make jerky? Hubby has done a couple of lots in the past using the webber bbq to smoke the meat, but I picked up a little smoker box that sits over the flame in the gas bbq, with the meat spread on cake cooling racks to smoke, then popped into the dehydrator for a few hours. I went searching for a marinade recipe, and found a very simple one that contained soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and a bit of powdered onion and garlic. It turned out very yummy, and easily as nice as any that we've ever bought. Was in the butcher yesterday and noticed that they have tiny packs of jerky there - couldn't believe the price though, had to get my daughter to check that I wasn't reading it wrongly ... $85 a kg!!!!! My goodness, there's some shrinkage in the meat, but not enough to justify that!

Have a great day all, and hopefully stay warm.

Pam

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 8:53 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 29, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8662693

Good morning everyone. We've had some rain over night so no frost this morning. It's still overcast so maybe we'll get a bit more. Moon your garden is lovely. Please put some more pics up. It reminds me of Louise's garden. Have you got acreage? Thanks for the cactus pic Dianne. Yes Jean I think of Brian when I see cactus too, and brugs and fruit trees. In other words I think of him a lot and think how unfair it all is. He had just retired and for the first time in his life he was really enjoying his life. As he said to me, " I don't know when I found time to go to work". Have fun in the Mount Jean and bring back lots of plants, as if we need any more, lol. I hope everyone has a wonderful day with whatever they're doing. I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8662774

Morning all... beautiful here this morning, the bay is as blue as the sky.

Pam, I had no idea that Jerky was sold here, let alone someone make their own...have to ask, how do you use it?...I just think of tough old cowboys, chewing on it...lol

Thanks for the comments on that pic...my husband can't see the magic...

Moon, close ups of flowers are appreciated too, sometimes if the actual bush isn't really photogenic,
just the flower is enough, I think.
Proteas are a good example...the flowers for some reason don't stand out, but on their own, they are stunning...

Jean, have a great day in Mt Gambier...I bought a Salvia yesterday...you will have it because it's common..S.wagerianum...it was a large shrub, so I put it under the Peach tree...It looks lovely because the tree is bare and the pendulous pink flowers reach to the lower branches...
This is another from that small nursery in Portarlington...It's a one man operation and some of the plants have grown thru their pots into the ground..but boy does he have some interesting plants, if you care to push thru the jungle..good prices too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 29, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8663408

Seachanger wrote:Morning all... beautiful here this morning, the bay is as blue as the sky.

Pam, I had no idea that Jerky was sold here, let alone someone make their own...have to ask, how do you use it?...I just think of tough old cowboys, chewing on it...lol

It's literally just marinated, smoked and then dried meat, Dianne. Good for...well, chewing on! lol Packed with some dried vegies I imagine it might make quite a good stew for camping or similar too. The main advantage of meat treated this way is that it doesn't need to be refrigerated. I did some liver for the dogs several weeks ago and sealed it in a vacuum seal bag in the cupboard - it's keeping well ( just as well seeing as we now have just one small dog) and saving a fortune on doggy snacks.

Pam
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 30, 2011
12:48 AM

Post #8663451

Hello everyone. Oh I love proteas and wish I could grow them here. The cactus is gorgeous.

We went for a spin today in Barry's new car. What a pleasure to ride in after the jerky, clutch slipping old car. Watch out world, here we come!

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8663690

Very nice car. I know you enjoyed the ride in her.
Here is a Dahlia bloom, got to check the name, I know it has one.Kennemerland Yellow . This plant is tall 36'' The bloom is nice sized too.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8663834

Thanks. we are on an acre Colleen...we have been here 10 years and i still haven't figured out just how I want to lay out the garden as a whole. We spent the first 18 months removing 26 trees that were either diseased, drought damaged or planted too close to the house. The previous owner had planted Asian creeping jasmine as a ground cover on all four sides...beds about a meter deep. The photo above is in front of the house and starts a meter out from the foundation. When digging for it, we were still pulling out jasmine root. This is where my orchids live in the summer and supports the clematis and climbing roses.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 30, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8664622

Charleen, yes, I did enjoy the ride. I love dahlias. Do you have many? They are a real joy when in bloom.

Moon, a lovely pic. That orchid house looks like a full house.

Hello Jean, and everyone. Very cold again this morning but I hope the sun will come out soon and warm things up. Hope you all have a great day.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8664792

Good morning everyone. We did have a good day in Mt Gambier except for the damp weather. Here I was running around the garden on Wednesday without a jumper, then wandering around yesterday needing a coat for the early part of the day. It did fine up a bit after lunch , but still the cold breeze.
I found no plants in the shops we went into but didnt try any of the nurseries because they are usually a bit dear and their stock is often too pot bound to worry about paying good money for. Bunnings had a few bedraggled plants on special, again nothing I wanted.
I did come home with a few cuttings though. A piece of daphne from one of the gardens and some pieces of an unknown camellia along with pieces of a very pretty japonica which I think is Apple Blossom ( white with a touch of pink. ) from hubbys friends garden.
I also received my seeds in the mail from BGI, which is lovely. I will be out in the greenhouse today getting them all settled in.

This morning does not look nice outside. I see the trees blowing in the wind, so I know its cold. The sun is trying to come out between the clouds.

Hello .moon. I like that orchid area of yours. Looks like it is a very good place for them being shaded a bit in summer.
I do know the feeling of having to remove a wandering triffid plant as I have had to remove ivies before.

Charleen, I had to toss my dahlias as they were not worth having to tie them up all the time and the wind here was ripping them apart. I do like them and still kept the small red Bishop of Llandorf inside the cottage area..
I bet Charley likes the flowers on yours too.

Hello Karen. Great new car. you will enjoy getting out in it.

Pam, I think the dogs would like the jerky, not sure I would though. I like smoked meat but not to that dry stage.

Hello Dianne, I looked up your salvia. Very pretty and no, I dont have it, apparently it doesnt like frost much. . I did get a piece of S, Wendys Wish , yesterday though.

Hello Colleen. We didnt get up to see the large cacti yesterday but they wont be in flower until later anyway. I must try and catch them at the right time. .

Hello Louise, and Chrissy. Also Teresa and Anthony.

I hope you are all having a bit of good weather and enjoying your gardens.
Here is something nice to munch on with your cuppa. Buttermilk Fruit Cake.
Have a great day and stay warm and safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 30, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8664806

Kettle's on Jean. Good morning everyone. Still quite chilly this morning but I don't think there's any frost. I'll find out for sure when I take the boys to school. I got a lot more pruning done yesterday. The bin's full again plus a couple of 50lt. pots. They can just sit inside the carpot and I'll put them into the bin as the room arises. Always something to do isn't there? Moon, I can just see the rose climbing all over the trellis. Is it pink? That's a beautiful Dahlia, Charleen. Well I must go and get the boys ready. One more week before the holidays start here. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8664835

Yum,, Yum, they all look like dessert to him...☺

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 30, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8665021

Hello everyone!

Rather cool here today.

Is anyone going to the Nambour Garden Expo next week?
I will be at the Buderim Garden Club's stand from 2.00pm to 5.00pm on Saturday.
If you will be there at that time please say 'Hello" to me.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8665035

Every Autumn there is a truck parked down the road selling bags of Jerky ...I am not a meat inclined person (my brother loves his meat) so I haven't ever bought any (you don't know what went into it) but I googled for you and here is how to make your own
http://homecooking.about.com/od/beefrecipes/r/blbeef103.htm

I have to go do some washing right now so I will pop back later ...seems like every other day is a Friday,

Ooops I forgot ...a pinch and a punch for the first of the month.
can't believe it's July already can you?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2011

Post #8665479

Was it Dianne or Pam looking for this on FB sorry if I got confused I could not find the original request ...well here it is in case it went to the wrong place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zubZQqPfpi4&feature=related
If that does not work google or go to FB.

The movie is gut wrenching and worth every one of it's 5 stars.

Well it turned into a beautiful Winters day after a wet start, I hope everyone is enjoying it.
Jean so glad you got your seeds from BGI ...good news for all Australian gardeners every time that is a success.
Hope they thrive and grow beautifully for you.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8665488

Ok it was Karen sorry all ...I am needing some food and coffee ...can't keep up with everything when your petrol tank is empty.:)
Interested to know if you enjoyed the movie or not.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8665533

What a beautiful Winter's day...
Took my mother to see Mr Popper's penguins yesterday, the theatre was full of kids and they thoroughly enjoyed it...I find Jim Carrey a bit manic, but we have seen most other films...my mother thought it was boring, she likes a good murder...all in all a good family movie...they are so clever with the CGI these days..

My Hyacinths are starting to flower, it wouldn't be Winter without them and the Daphnes...I have 2 white Daphnes and 4 D.odoras and their scent is a little more citrus than the D.odora...I can cut big bunches now, they are 3yr olds...

Everything seems to being growing even though it's Winter.
Lovely car Karen...hope you have some good trips..
Moon, looking forward to your pics, looks as though it's a pretty property.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:42 PM

Post #8665537

Dianne what is the flower that you are teasing us with now? It looks like it could be a Protea but looks like it is near the ground. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 30, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8665543

Sorry, Colleen...you are right it is a Protea "Little Prince"...the bush is only a metre high...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8665560

Has anyone else noticed the new google thingy sitting next to your web things ...it's some new thing from google that is supposed to be joining everything you do together, I think it is making some things clunky ...it's trying to become the better new social thing ...I didn't ask for it it's just there and some things have changed ...it's sitting there next to " like" on everything has anyone used it, kind of like a cyber stalker.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 1, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8666569

chrissy100 wrote: kind of like a cyber stalker.

That's pretty much what it is Chrissy. I haven't got it, fortunately. I get reeeeally annoyed with pages being slow to load while they're waiting for Google bits and pieces to start working though.

Pam

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 1, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8666679

Good morning all.

Chrissy, thank you for being so helpful. As I said on FB, I'll probably watch the movie next week, unless Barry wants to watch it too. I think though we'll probably be out and about putting the new car through its paces. That music has stuck with me down through the years and for some reason I decided it was time to see the movie. I love Sinead O'Connor's song, Thief of Your Heart, from the movie too. Others I didn't like so much, but sound tracks are like that.

My poor little bird was so cold, I found her on the floor of the cage trying to squeeze into a corner this morning. No sun here to put them out in, though there should be a little bit later in the morning. Depends on how windy its going to be.

So, an unplanned day here but full of potential. I have garden nurseries in mind. Hope you all have a great one.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8666773

Good morning everyone. Just moved us again as the road was a bit long for all the old legs.
We have moved to here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193823/
Its windy outside and cold too, so nothing much will be done. I may find something else to plant so I can work in the greenhouse.

Hello to Dianne, Colleen, Chrissy Pam , Elaine, Karen , Anthony and Teresa.
Hello also Charleen and Louise.
Dianne, love the protea. .
Chrissy, I dont see any thingy sitting anywhere on this computer. I never go into FB or anything like that so maybe it doesnt show here.
I use Firefox anyway.
Our computer has Trend Micro which we have used for many years now. The computer came with Norton, but it was so intrusive , we got it taken out.
Trend does a great job and doesnt get in your face.

The only time we are slow is when the middle of the month comes along and our speed slows down. We are on a plan with Bigpond that allows so much download then drops the speed. It is more economical for us but a little frustrating when waiting for a page to load or getting timed out . Luckily it is usually only for about a week as we dont download much at all.

Anthony, how is the bulb planting going ? How many more have you bought ? lol

Better get something nice out for you all to nibble on. A good day for some decadence.. Chocolate Mud Cake.
I am going to put the small heater on my feet, they are cold.
keep safe and enjoy the weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 1, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8666854

20 more!!!-Starfighter[bewdiful]
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 1, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8666882

Anthony, I think you need liliums anonymous lol...

Isnt she just so' bewdiful' though...

Jean

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America