Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: Mid South Gardeners' Forum (Page 2)

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 98, Views: 897
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8628683

This is a continuation of the original sticky thread started by Ret_Sgt_Yates on 6/11/2010 here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1106974/

We have had 241 posts on the original thread, and I believe that Sgt Yates is AWOL. I have taken the liberty to start a new thread as the original was getting pretty long.

Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening Forum Member List. Please check in for a head count. :)

Thanks!

~Amanda

This message was edited Jun 13, 2011 9:44 PM

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8628705

Amanda

where is your picture to start off the new thread...LOL

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8628706

Hmmm. Good question! What do you suggest we post to represent the new thread?! :D

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8630781

why very colorful plants, shrubs, just any garden pictures... I'zzzz live for pics...

Jan
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8631026

Thanks Amanda

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8631239

Thanks Amanda we did need a new thread!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8632037

Well I tried to edit the initial post and there is no way to upload a picture after the initial post/thread is made so we'll have to post pictures throughout of our own mid-south flower gardens. :D

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8642582

Hello all, I'm Colibri Gardener and I just love to garden for Hummingbirds and Butterflies in Baker, LA.

Zone 8b

Thumbnail by ColibriGardener

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8642638

Welcome Colibri Gardener Beautiful backyard. I hope you are getting more rain than we are. Everything looks pretty parched here even under the sprinkler.
ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8642699

Thanks Riverland... no we are not. We are having a mini drought right now. We're not as bad as Texas but we're not getting our usual share of rain. Chances are improving this week hopefully!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8642952

Hi Colibi!

I guess our strange weather is becoming the norm now - never know what to expect. We will have a week of rain followed by 2-3 weeks of drought. At least the reservoirs are full from spring.

I am behind on all my garden chores thanks to a hand injury at work a few weeks ago. Hate watching that crab grass creep across my beds, but I am just biding my time. :)

Have a good night!

A.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8643402

Hello Colibi!!! Welcome to Mid South!!! Glad to have you aboard!!!! We're almost neighbors!!!

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8643507

Hi Amanda and everyone else! Thanks for the kind words about our crazy landscaping escapade. I'll work on some pics for you guys, but I have to get some good ones that show the difference with what we did. (I'm also a little embarrassed at the amateur attempts here, as most of you will see all the things I did poorly. LOL)

Here's a copy of where I started. These shrubs along the foundation were the "builder's special", and completely inappropriate for the setting. Also discovered, as we pulled them up, that they were never placed properly: completely rootbound, never scored, and just dropped right into the hole and covered up with pine straw--no attempt to fill in with soil. Thankfully, it made my job easier, and I was able to single-handedly pull all the shrubs straight out of the ground. LOL

The yellow pansies were planted by my awesome MIL the weekend we moved in... in early winter. I almost passed out from shock that she was planting something in December! Her reply? "Oh, honey, welcome to the South!" ROTFL

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8643528

And here's a closer shot of the front walkway. Pitiful, I know.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8643534

Looking to one side of the front steps.

(The yellow areas on the grass are most likely burn areas from our dog's bathroom excursions. Working on having her relieve herself elsewhere. Ugh.)

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8643545

Here's a front shot, though hard to see anything since the plants are so young.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8643549

And here's one front walkway.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8643561

Another shot of one front side.

From left, in rear:
sky pencil holly, Chinese loropetalum, emerald green arborvitae

From left, in front:
kaleidoscope abelia, interspersed with coleus

Also have morning glories planted at the front of the steps, though they're not showing up here yet.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8643563

Big improvement!!! It really looks nice! Very good job! I like your house too!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8643570

Those are all good choices, Amy and should fill in very nicely. :)

Are you still planting, or have you finished your project(s)?
TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8643576

Hard to see the front section, but I'll try to describe what's going on.

Along the sidewalk is the wintergreen boxwood. I flanked that with white vinca, which is doing GREAT there. Also planted some ivy along the front stones to trail over it eventually. Heading toward the steps, I have three irises in the center backed by hidcote lavender. Ringing the irises in a semicircle, I have mixed salvia, then salmon petunias, and then scattered prism sunshine petunias. The petunias haven't been doing all that well, so a couple of weeks ago I chopped them all back and tried it again. I think the full sun is a bit TOO full for them. Many of them seem to be coming back, although I would plant them more thickly next year. (I'll post a more recent picture when I take some.)

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8643586

Thank you, friends!

No, I'm still working. This was as much as I could get done with the weekend of help from my in-laws, and I head out at night when DH travels and I've put the girls to bed. Some of the things are in transition, such as the wisteria in the blue pots at the bottom of the stairs. I want to plant them somewhere permanent at some point and put something tall (like morning glories or ivy growing up an obelisk) there instead.

Here's the side of the house that slopes down toward the ravine. This is what we had at first--shrubs that were 8" above-ground and obviously dying.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8643593

And this is what I did there.

I now have four red double knockout rose bushes there and have planted ivy along the flagstone border to fill in. I also planted a few morning glory seeds back there to help cover that tall brick wall, but they're growing much more slowly than the ones on the front mailbox. Ah, well. I also stuck some extra petunias down at the bottom just to hold onto soil.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

TeacherAmy
Fort Mill, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8643645

The side again.

Thumbnail by TeacherAmy

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 23, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8648883

Hello all! Just trying to catch up on this thread...

Hello Amy and Jan and Colibri! Welcome to the mid south forum - it is nice to "meet" you... You will love the mid south forum - such great people and helpful advice. I count some of my Daves' Gardens friends among my very best friends even though there are many miles in between us ...

Amy your house is lovely, and it looks like you have a great design eye! IF you get tired of working there, you can always come visit in South Arkansas. I am currently trying to do foundation planting for my home... we built it 7 yrs ago, and I FINALLY have a few things done, but it is far from complete. Now the objective is to try to manage to keep what I have alive thru this blazing heat and lack of rain!!

Carol, did you catch this new thread??

Hope ya'll join us on some of the other mid south threads too!
Genna
ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8650253

Hi Jeri11...Yes we are neighbors...almost.

Colibri

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8650342

beautiful gardens everyone... and to be so green, I have nothing but left over runners from what use to be grass in the yard.

Jan
come on rainy season, lets get with it for those afternoon rain showers...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8651066

I think our rainy season has arrived for Summer. We were having 105 degree days and since the 21st we started getting rain for the 1st time in almost 2 months and the temp has cooled down to a chilly 87 here. LOL!!! Boy is that weather guy confused!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 24, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8651221

Well, it is cooler here - but still no rain...and they are calling for it to be back to 100 next week so our chances of getting any rain are really slim.

It is amazing how cool the 80s can feel after being a 100 everyday!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8651509

Yes - it's gorgeous at 81 degrees in the morning, but once the humidity comes up I have to hide in the house. :)

I just started some magic beans! (scarlet runner beans) and they are 5" high in less than a week. Good God! Never seen such a thing!!!

Has anyone else grown them? I am growing them for the hummers.
sharonjean42
Albemarle, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8867766

Albemarle NC

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8867832

Hi SharonJean!

I lost track of this thread - I guess I got caught up in the garden season. Now I'm busy bringing in the last of my tropicals and wondering what the heck I am going to do stuck inside all winter. Seed trading sounds like a good idea. :)

Hope everyone in the mid south enjoyed their summer and what was left of fall. Might have some frost and even white stuff here before long . . ..

A.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8928439

Is North AL included in mid south gardening area? Thanks Luciee {;^)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8930326

LOL!!! Luciee you are south of Tennessee and a few other states above that!!! Of course, it counts!!! WELCOME!!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8930562

Ha ha - I guess I'd better brush up on my geography.

Are the rest of you enjoying this near 70 degree day?! The wind has picked up as I guess we are supposed to get some rain here tomorrow, but I am enjoying just one day at a time.

I've stopped commenting on the crazy weather. Can't help but enjoy it. Winter will be here soon enough. I am so looking forward to spring and will soon start my wintersowing in my milk jug garden. Ha ha.

Have a great day, and yes Welcome Luciee!!!

A.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8932483

jeri and
Amanda, I guess that does sound like a stupid question, but I wanted to be sure as there were no other options for where I live. I'm just an old lady who needs help now and then. Thanks for the help. Luciee {;^)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8932598

We're not having any contest for how old we are b/c I'd be afraid of winning!!!! LOL!!! Never mind, Sandra is older than me!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8932620

Gotcha both beat by a longshot!!! LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8932965

LOL!!! I'm getting so old Charlotte that I forget that. ROF!!!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8934544

I'm 65, nearly 66. I remember when a basket of groceries cost about 20 dollars with meat in the basket. Gasoline was 25 cents a gallon. And people made about 1 dollar an hour. Luciee {;^) PS I like this forum.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 4:01 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8934716

Luciee got you beat too!! I'm 69 - will be 70 in Aug. When I was first married $20 was my grocery budget for the week! I knew exactly what everything cost and I would make my list and then add it up. If it was over $20 something had to come off the list.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8935303

You both have me beat. That is fine with me!!! LOL!!! I had to tell someone the other day that I was pushing 60. I almost fainted when I realized that was true. I remember studying end time in the bible as a small child and the price of bread was like 35 cents at the time and we figured the money exchange and the bible predicted bread at almost $5.00 a loaf and milk was just as high. Amazing that the bible was right about that like almost 50 years before it's time.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8935383

jeri and cperdue, do we need to start an old timer's thread or is there already one on here somewhere? Luciee {;^) I had to edit this one for a misspelled word. Looks like I would read before sending.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2011 9:46 AM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8935385

Just wait until your pushing 70!!! I can't believe that I'm going to be that old! It really gets in perspective when I think that at the end of the next 10 years I'll be 80!!!! In my mine I still feel the same as I did in my 20's and 30's. Body is just not the same!! LOL I am fortunate that I'm healthy, active and can still most every thing I've always done. Just may be a little slower!! A couple of years ago my BF (a year older than me) and I went over to a mountain close to Hot Springs and picked up big rocks for the flower bed. We have decided that 2 old women probably don't need to be doing that anymore!!! Hiking down a steep hill covered in leaves with big rocks in our arms!! LOL
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8935396

cperdue, I still run my chain saw whenever I can. There's nothing wrong with doing things like that if you don't hurt yourself. Yes the leaves can be pretty slippery. So can pine needles. Take care. I need to rake them up for my roses but hubby has been sick and right now I just do not have time. If the roses don't survive, I can get more, but not new hubby. Luciee {;^) ps: everyone just be safe.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

December 19, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8936439

Subbing ... ((HUGS))
Mary

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8936816

LOL!!! Luciee, that was one club that I wasn't looking forward to joining, in fact, I've dreaded it!!!! Now that it is here, I've developed the theory that I'm prouder to be in it than I thought!!! It beats the graveyard club for sure!!!!

Charlotte is not lying about being active!!! She does more than most 20 year olds are capable of. I don't know many that try!!!!

Hey Mary is that where you have been?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Peace on earth and good will toward all men and women!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8936834

Yes Jeri it does beat the alternative!!!!! What's the saying "if we don't use it, we lose it"!!!!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

December 20, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8937391

(waving hello to all)

Mary :o)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8939720

Heloooooo Mary - how'd you like this warm weather today? Nearly 65 here, I was out on my back porch in a cotton short sleeved blouse this morning. I'm not worried anymore about global warming. Nothing I can do about it except sit back and enjoy another mild day in December. I think I'll be gone before stuff gets too dramatic, but think I might still be here in time to watch the last polar bears in captivity.

Yawn.

Sorry - been trying to take the heat in stride! I'm worried that the swallowtail caterpillar chrysalises overwintering in my outdoor closet will get confused! Hope they go by daylight as an indicator and not temperature!

Stay safe if you're traveling.

Peace.
A.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8940294

Amanda, I do not worry about global warming either. "God is in His heaven and all is right with the world." No one can do anything about the weather except talk about it. It is comforting to know that God will have things His way and we need not worry. Thanks, Luciee {;^)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8940324

Isn't that the truth!!!!
loveplants2VB
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8941208

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the heads up to travell here..LOL

Glad i found you all.. The other threads does have some interesting things posted... But i needed the push to get me here. Thank you for the gentle one!! LOL...

Charlotte,

I will send some seeds for you next week after all of the family leave and the house settles down. I only have maybe five to send, but they have done well for other friends that i have sent them too. Almost 90 % germination.

I hope you all have a wondeful Holiday..

Merry CHristmas to you all!!!

I was chuckling about you all talking about age.. i feel that its only a number too! I like to do things that people say..."do you need help with that?" I lift rocks,, mulch and anything i think i need done. I have always tried to do things for myself, i do have a wonderful hubby that will help, but i do manage to take care of the yard duties... Untill i say. "uncle...LOL"

Take care,

Laura

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8943830

Welcome to all you newbies, Laura and and Luciee. Amanda I think I welcomed you awhile back. anyway we are always glad to have new people join our forum. It does no matter where you live. It does help to have similar climates if gardening is your main concern. We cover much more than that at Midsouth. We have become very close over the years and have experienced many ups and downs of each others lives. We have a very extended family here that cares about all aspects of each other's lives. I hope all those who are new will join the conversations and get to know us all at Midsouth. If you do need gardening advice please ask. There are some really knowledgable people here that can help. One thing I can assure you is that no question is too dumb to ask. That's how we learn Welcome from my heart to yours. Happy New Year to all.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8944043

Thank you! I moved south in 1998 to be near my father's family. I remember digging that first shovel full of clay and nearly losing my mind at the sight of it. :D

I've been enjoying the mild weather - what the heck!

Hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays. Like the rest of you, starting to think about the coming season's garden and seed starting. Yahoooo!

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

December 27, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8944979

Yes Indeed ! I have only been a Beginner Gardener since July 2007 !

Can't wait to go outside again. This dreary winter just makes me want to shun the back yard and all the chores I should be doing to keep my plants happy...

The "Middle Of Winter" is February 5th ! Can't wait to be on the upside of that... LOL

((HUGS))
Mary

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8945274

Ha ha - Mary I am soooo with you on that!

I am trying to convince myself that the promise of spring and seed starting is a sign of happy optimism. I have enjoyed the sun coming into the house at an angle. This old house is oriented so one side of the house and most of our windows are facing E/SE and the other side of the house gets a lot of reflected light off the white house next door. We get a long sliver of the sun from the West, but for the most part I think this side is oriented N/NW.

Hang in there! The days are getting longer, if only by seconds at first. :)

A.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 30, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8948379

LOL... that is exactly what I said on Dec 21 Amanda...Now, we can start going back the other way and looking forward to a few more seconds of daylight each day! encouraging to me!

Welcome Laura and Luciee! Great to have you joining us here on the MS! Cindy is so right when she says we are like a big extended family here! I love my DG family and wouldnt know what to do without them! :) You will like it here... hope you stick around and get to know us! Check out our chat thread on the mid south where we talk about anything and everything going on in our lives... and occasionally we talk about gardens too! :-)

Happy New Year everyone!!
Genna

I

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8948386

Genna - I sowed my first seeds today! 6 Calycanthus floridus which have been in the fridge for 2 months. I guess I should re-read my propagation information. Some info says to nick the seed, others no, who knows? So I have sowed 2 each in a different manner. Hopefully I'll get one or two to sprout. :D

I also did a lot of transplanting and plant moving and pruning indoors. It was a lovely day here - 62 deg. so I also watered things that are still alive and getting full sun.

A good day, all in all.

Hope yours was too.

A.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

December 30, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8948477

subbing... so confused !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8948523

Amanda I have never grown sweet shrub from seed. I think I have done cuttings though. I always nick the seed with tiny cuticle nippers if the seed has a hard coating. Most time I will let it set in warm water after nicking for a brief time depending on what it is. Since I usually start a lot indoors I want to see if it is going to germinate pretty fast. I don't want to waste time and valuable space under my lights or in the glass room to seed not sprouting. I am not patient either. Lol you should get some good results by using diffents methods. I will start some of my seeds in the next couple weeks.

Mary why are you confused?
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8949031

Sounds like everyone is looking forward to spring as I am. I started out raking pinestraw and ended by using the bagger and lawnmower. Easier, but have to stop and dump too often. So I got most things weeded and mulched and still have to do the demanding rose garden. That's for another day, as I cannot put in a full day anymore even when it is cool. I like this forum, everyone seems so friendly. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow, and happy new year. Luciee {;^)
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8949036

Mary, what does subbing mean? Luciee
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

December 31, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8949503

Hello All !

Gen - does that mean that on the first day of winter, the days start getting longer ? If so then YAY!
Riverland... I am SUCH a beginner gardener and most of what you all are discussing is new to me... LOL...

I went to my first swaps last year and my main concern is that this is the first time I've kept plants inside my house through winter and I'm so worried I will kill all these wonderful plants I got...

Have Two Adenium and was sure I'd killed them when they lost and are losing all their leaves but Jeri has told me that this is normal :o)

Now my Morning Glory Bush (not vine) is losing it's leaves... so not sure what to do.

I just don't like being in my back yard this time of year and nothing I can do about the plants and will have to cover up Hibiscus tomorrow night most likely...

Hey Luciee - by "Subbing" I mean I'm subscribing to this thread... you can see I have so much to learn and it will be wonderful to read from great friends in the Mid South...

((HUGS))
Mary

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #8949825

LOL!!! Mary I thought you had been busy substitute teaching!!!! Now I learned something new!!!
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

January 1, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #8950002

LOL :o) Wish I could Substitute teach !

subbing is a term used a lot on the Disney boards I read... I suppose it's not used here as much...
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #8951200

Thanks, Mary. I also thought it had to do with substitute teaching, as I used to be one. Now, I'm just a retired Lab Tech. Love to all. Luciee (;^)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #8951976

Mary

read up on the cultural requirements for each plant.

I treat annuals like houseplants and try to simulate its growing conditins.

some perennials are better off left to try to go dormant.

watering too much is a common cause of death in winter.

I like this forum for propagation information:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1234328/

It's really informal but lots of knowledgeable people.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

January 2, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #8952093

Thank you Amanda ...very helpful
I may be guilty of the overwatering thing...
I'll check out that link...
Trying to read up on these plants but went from zero to 50 house plants lol
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 3, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #8952585

Oh my... I have a few houseplants this winter for the first time in a long time... but I sure wouldn't want to take on 50! :) I would never get them to live! But, I have a type of palm that we received in November when my MIL passed away and I am trying hard to keep it alive. I am horrible to forget to water my indoor plants, so I was trying to faithfully water it because I thought they took a lot of water...then I realized it was TOO wet ! So, I have backed off on the watering - guess it wasn't evaporating as fast with the cooler temps, and it is doing better. Now, if i just don't forget to water it completely!!

By the way, anyone have a good suggestion for a place to purchase some decent looking indoor pots that don't cost a fortune? I purchased a big palm on sale at Lowe's for Alex bc he liked the palm I had gotten. It is a different type, but I thought it would look good in his living room. But I need a nice pot - perferably something that resembles aluminum or stainless as he has stainless or brushed nickel throughout that room. I haven't been able to find one - also, he has hardwood floors so I think I will have to put one of those clear plastic protectors under it !

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

January 3, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #8953502

Hobby Lobby has them on sale from time to time...or maybe Big Lots ?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #8953519

You might also try Garden Ridge. You also want to make sure the plant has good drainage. My strictly indoor plants (ones I never take outside) are double potted if they are in a container without drainage holes. A lot of the decorative planters don't have drainage holes. By double pot, I mean I put the plant in a clay or cheap plastic pot with good drainage holes and then I put that in the decorative container. Also usually put some spanish moss around the top to hide the pot. My indoor plants I water no more than once a week and sometimes go 2 weeks. Just depends on how the soil feels. It needs to dry out between watering. Most things are better getting too dry than too wet. I have a ficus tree I've had for 15 years or so and seldom give it any water. Basically neglect it!! I've learned that if I give it too much water the leaves will turn yellow and start falling off.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #8956232

I have noticed a troubling trend in my house come February and March - I start loosing my indoor plants. I mean, the long winter, I am distracted by then with activities for the outdoor garden, and I start neglecting my indoor stuff.

I am "fortunate" (!?) because I am not working (fortunate!!?!) and have the ability to enjoy my plants and birdwatching and critter keeping full time. I am having great success with the coleus I brought inside, when everybody was telling me to take cuttings because coleus "don't do well" indoors. They are doing better inside than they ever did outside!

I do believe that overwatering is the culprit during the winter. In spring, I tend to water less and less. So I will be more vigilant this year because I am already watering so sparsely.

Mary - it's also a good idea to get familiar with common signs of plant problems. Yellowing leaves can be a sign of many different maladies, but based on the conditions where you keep the plant you can narrow down the possibilities. Curled leaves are also a sign of overwatering. Plants will drop leaves simply from the shock of being moved. Could be the temperature - Charlotte mentions the ficus - this is a plant that is quick to tell you it is unhappy!

Good luck with your 50 plants! I haven't counted but I might rival you in numbers. I am enjoying them very much this year especially and looking forward to January as it is always the month my geraniums start blooming for me after coming indoors. :)

Happy Friday!

A.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #8956443

I'm impressed Amanda that your coleus are doing well inside!! I don't want to know how many plants I have inside this winter . I have them in my house, in my garage, in a storage room in the garage,and my husband's workshop is packed to the brim!!! I can barely walk through it to water!!! Most are not what I would consider houseplants but are tropicals.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

January 6, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #8957490

Thanks Cperdue and Amanda... that is good info...

I may not have 50 LOL... might have been an exaggeration... but I truly did not have one last year. I've got a lot of swap plants.
I may possibly be overwatering... the one that is currently dying is called a "Morning GLory Bush" it's not a vine they said and when I looked it up... it said drought tolerant... so No - I did not water it and it looked great but now it's horrible...

The Tibouchina I got however are looking good so far... I would just hate to lose these plants because they were given to me...

Another question. We have pinapple guava bushes. I tried to take cuttings for a swap but no go. However a few months ago I started collecting the fruit... what is the best way to try to get the seeds from the fruit ? I have in various stages, moldy to still somewhat ripe...

((HUGS)) Thanks for the advice... I'm soaking it all up !

PS: Thank goodness for the (so far) mild winter !
Mary

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #8957500

Mary the morning glory bush may not be dying but just going dormant. A lot of my plants that I overwinter look terrible during the winter. The leaves all fall off. But the plant itself is fine and when I put them back out in the spring it doesn't take long for new leaves to appear. I wouln't consider a morning glory bush a house plant - scratch the stem to see if it's still green. I had a tropical I thought was dead when I took my plants outside last spring. I just forgot about it and was shocked to see all pretty and green with leaves in a few weeks.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

January 8, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #8959623

cperdue - Thank you so much... that gives me hope!

I hope you all had such gorgeous weather today as we had here :o)

Just makes me eager to go play in the dirt...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #8994245

Hey all:

As the original sticky Member List continues to receive posts as I failed to label this thread properly (oops) I have started another "member list" page to try to re-unite the folks and the original thread.

Help me undo the sticky mess I've created and follow the aptly named "Members List II" thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241000/

OR

chat away here. ;)

Either way - don't you just love being a mid-south gardener right about now?!?

A.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #8994779

I can't believe how warm it has been. Things are going crazy in my greenhouse and I haven't heated it. Just the heat mat under the peppers, hibiscus and some other things that need some heat.
Thought I would have more down time as I am putting in a brick walk way. But almost out of bricks. Guess I will be looking on Craigslist.

I am from the Midwest and lived in CT for 10 yrs this weather is glorious! I am used to it being 20-30 below zero wind chills this time of year or tons of snow.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #8994892

We don't have that but don't let this year fool you. It's been totally weird here too.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #8995552

That's what we hear Jeri`11
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 5, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #8996041

Jeri - it sure has been! My back yard "thinks" it is Spring...stuff coming up all over and iris blooming !

So unsure about what to do... DH said we better hope we get a freeze late Feb. or the bugs will be outrageous !

Chicory - I LOVE hibiscus ! Just joined the local club last year...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8996365

I have been so tempted to cut everything back but I know there is at least one more good freeze around Easter and that is still 2 months away. If I cut back now things will take off and if there is another freeze everything will be stunted if not killed. So I have all but tied my hands behind my back and am concentrating on pulling the weeds.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #8996512

When I get some time to work outside I need to start taking the leaves out of the front beds, pull the SOLID weede out of the bed and pit pine straw down. need to get my house cleaned up today! Also need to take some more stuff down to my booth tomorrow. I went down yesterday to check on it and straighten and ended up selling a big dining room table. She is supposed to pick it up today.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 6, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #8997351

good advice Jeri ! Can I borrow some of your rope to tie my hands too !?
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #8997872

MaryandLance I have Hibiscus cannabinus yes it does look just like that =)
Rozelle (I forget the latin name) to make Hibiscus tea from. I can't wait for these to flower.

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 7, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #8998471

Wonder if your Hibiscus cannabis is what I call "Texas Star Hibiscus"? I have the red one... it's gorgeous and was given a white one... hoping it comes back in Spring...Not sure what Rozelle is but please tell me how to make Hibiscus tea and is it good ?
I have a Rum Runner (my FAV because it's so succesful despite me) that is 6' tall ! Cosmic Ray, WhiteWings, yellow, Mrs. Jimmy Spangler, Smiley Face, Acadiana Spring and Bon Temp.

I hope I don't kill any more due to root rot... my biggest fear.

upset right now because I just found out that the Hibiscus club trip to the Dupont nurseries is slated for 2/25 and I had plans that day...will have to figure out how to be in 2 places at one time... LOL

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #8999428

When you figure out how to be 2 places at once let us all know! LOL
Rozelle is a Thai Hibiscus they use the pods to make tea it taste like hmmm Cranberries. That is closest thing I can think of.
It is really good, tart but you can add sugar.
I got the seed from Baker Creek.
Oh I bet the Star of Texas is the same thing I really like the foliage to mix with other plants.
I don't have any Hibiscus that are fancy anymore, I gave most of my plants away when we moved to NC I didn't have room for them at the RV park or in the RV =(

MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 8, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #8999804

Okay - Chicory- then you go to the Hibsicus sale at Dupont and tell them you are me LOL...and I'll do my other meeting...

I'll have to try that hibiscus tea... I saw a lot of it online but I didn't know what part of the hibiscus made it...

Now that I am enjoying gardening I have learned a LOT about plants and never realized how toxic some can be... Hubby and I were joking about "What If" Teenagers putting the Brug flowers in the Hot Tub by accident... LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #8999885

I could help with that Mary!!! But I''m going next week.
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

February 8, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #8999927

LOL Jeri! Well - I've about figured out that I must miss the Hibiscus field trip... So sad ! But that's okay.. I'm still a newbie and I feel I don't deserve the hibiscus I've got...
I've lost several to root rot and still have to hope the ones I have "survive me"... LOL

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9027938

cperdue

why would you remove the leaves, they are the best mulch and weed preventor????

I know it doesn't leave you with a super finished bed, but the benefits outway the look...JMHO

Jan

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9028025

Jan the leaves I'm going to remove are in my front. They are big thick post oak leaves and do not break done easily. I have lots of them and they are unsightly! I know they are the best kind of mulch so don't worry I don't get rid of any leaf , pine needle or grass clippings - they go in a big compost pile in my back yard. I have lots of pine trees in the back and I don't pick any of them up that falls in my beds. When I take out the leaves in the front I will replace it with pine needles that have fallen on my stone walkways and patios in the back.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9028113

Leaving whole leaves on the ground, if they are not mulched or shredded finely or tilled into the soil, can encourage fungus and insects and such.

I always cover my beds with whole leaves in the winter, but I pull them back in the spring, also to encourage perennials and/or self-sown seed to be able to come up/germinate. I haven't put much effort into trying to develop compost, but I do have a big pile of leaves under the pecan tree. When the leaves get very dry I find it easy to pick some up and rub them together/crush them and I let the debris falls to the ground in my beds.

We just moved to this house in 2009 and started planting in clay here. We've had a couple of loads of compost the first year or two but not enough - I've cleared most of the grass/weeds for beds, so I guess I can start focusing more on improving the soil as I run out of space for new plants. :D

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9028116

Amanda try some soil syrup. It has really helped my soil, even the 1st year.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9028236

What is that, Jeri?

I have 2 things going for me this year, well one really: a neighbor lady has a goat in her backyard. I have adopted him sort of. I feed him everyday. I guess to say that I am supplementing his diet. The lady is a peach and an animal rescuer. She has more critters than she should or can afford. Anyway.

The goat gives back - I've read that goat poo is okay to spread on plants at any time without fear of burning. It really doesn't accrue rapidly so it's not sold widely - guess there's not enough money in it. Also - the big jerk gets choosey about the pellets I purchase to feed him. Now and then - like now for instance - he refuses to eat a bag of pellets - this happens when I switch brands sometimes - which I've done a couple of times since I have next to no $$$ to buy his fancy food at Southern States anymore. Well I've read friends in the propagation forum say that they use alfalfa pellets to enrich their soil. So I have sown goat dung and alfalfa pellets into my beds this winter.

There's hay over there that I could bring here too, but it'd be messier and well, I need less mess around here, not more.

Tell me about this soil syrup. ;)

A.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9028271

I just happened on this and it made a difference the 1st year but I'm on year 3 now and excited at how much good soil I've acquired.

http://www.megagro.com/soilsyrup.htm?gclid=CPXFmOGly64CFS6htgodu1r-AQ

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9028733

Well hey that looks very interesting. I'll look around for it.

Since I plant mostly native plants and their usual preferred soil conditions are not well supplemented or amended, but for some plants I think they could use a little something extra.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9028794

I had to order mine off the internet. I was really impressed with it. I got the hose sprayer and just watered the soil around all my plants. I didn't spray it directly onto the plants and they all did well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America