Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane": Plane Trees aren't so Plain After All

Communities > Forums > Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"
bookmark
Forum: Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane"Replies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8629754

I've encountered Plane Trees in unexpected places and am surprised by it's durability. Quite often they are pollarded and happily grow back the next spring. A friend mentioned how common they are in Spain but all I could think about was, "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain"...or is that Plane. Last year I encountered large, old specimens in the desert gardens of Huntington Botanical Garden. A surprise indeed. I came across rows of Platanus infront of the San Francisco City Hall a few years ago with these interesting Willow art things. The Plane Trees doesn't get the fan-fare but it demonstrates by functionality and durability that few trees can equal.

Thumbnail by growin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8629881

Hi growin
thanks for your added comments and picture. Those decorated in the picture are really, um, unusual!
Plane trees are used here in parking lot islands, really can't be a good moist place but they do live awhile.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When common is not ordinary, even if it is "plane" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
When West meets East! wannadanc 3 Jun 15, 2011 8:57 AM
When I was a kid they were 'ghosts' scottsmom 1 Jun 20, 2011 5:54 PM
Sycamore battlehound 0 Jun 20, 2011 12:35 PM
I love my Sycamore bobsgirl 3 Jun 26, 2011 3:53 PM
plane tree allergy daleg 1 Jun 28, 2011 5:49 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America