-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8629987

Years ago, I had a wonderful jar of pickled pattypan buttons. I would like to reproduce them. Does anyone have a recipe they would care to share that uses the 'button' size (1-1 1/2") squash. Second, can I substitute the small buttons in a recipes that call for 1, to 1 1/2" cubes of regular squash? Or does the fact that they have skin still on them effect the processing?

Here's my first attempt, I've treated like a refrigerator pickle (no heat processing).
4 cups pattypan buttons
12 heads garlic (blanched and pealed)
5 cups vinegar
1 cup water
2 tbsp canning salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 thai chili for each jar

I brought the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar to a boil, then added the pattypan. Brought back to a boil and cooked for 9 minutes, added the the garlic cloves and cooked additional minute. This made three 8 oz. jars. Refrigerate!
Would welcome any additional thoughts or advice to make better. And would love to know if this can be heat processed safely. Thx

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

June 14, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8630089

If you like sweet squash pickles there's a recipe out there for squash pickles that would do the trick quite well. You can HWB that recipe quite successfully and it's quite good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8630130

You could lacto-ferment them! Certainly you have the whey, and just think of all the added nutrients fermentation gives...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8630214

Try this, with adaptations of ingredients from your recipe posted above. (Did you mean 12 HEADS of garlic, or 12 CLOVES?)

Lacto-Fermented Squash Salsa

Enough summer squash chopped to fill a quart jar
1 onion, chopped
6 jalapenos, chopped (or your Thai chili)
Garlic to taste
1 cup water
1/2 tbsp. non-iodized salt, max
4 tbsp. whey
Pure water

Chop all the vegetable into small chunks. Stuff down into a wide-mouth quart canning jar, leaving 1 inch head-space. In a bowl, mix together the 1 cup water, salt and whey. Pour over the vegetables in the jar. Add additional pure water if you need more liquid. Leave 1 inch head-space. Use a rubber spatula to release any air bubbles in the jar. Put the lid on loosely and let sit out on the counter for 2-4 days to ferment. (It may bubble over.) After 2-4 days, when the bubbling has stopped, you can refrigerate or store in a cool place, but be sure to tighten the lids. They should be stored in the dark... light degrades the nutritional content.

I store mine over the winter in my root cellar, but will probably use the cheese refrig. 'cave' this summer, assuming there's room! As long as they stay cool, they will keep for 1-2 years.

PS, I found that wadding up a large piece of waxed paper and putting it on top of the food keeps it submerged in the liquid while it's fermenting.

edited to add: the garlic just needs peeling, no blanching necessary.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2011 3:08 PM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8630264

Lilylady, thanks I've seen that recipe and I know my MIL would love a jar of them!

Darius, that's too funny. I have such tunnel vision trying to recreate the jar I tasted..I didn't even think of fermenting these! I think they would be great! Going to try this first and make my MIL wait for hers.lol

Yep, 12 heads garlic..I really love pickled garlic too, so I didn't think it could hurt.lol
The red onions are ready to pull as well, they'll be pretty with the bright yellow buttons! Thank you, ma'am!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8634043

Darius, If I start with half gallon of whey/water and a handful of veggies. Can I add to the batch as the veggies ripen? Or do I have to start a full batch each time?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8634131

I'd start fresh each time since the whey changes the liquid chemically in short order, thanks to the lactic bacteria. That's just my opinion; old-time recipes for fermentation didn't use whey if they had no cow, and they kept adding as garden stuff matured.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America