Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?: Caution

Communities > Forums > Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?
bookmark
Forum: Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?Replies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
the_naturalist
Monrovia, CA

June 14, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8630463

I noted the author's mention of old-time medicinal uses for ivy, and I cringed. Lest practitioners of herbal lore get too excited about this, please realize that old-time usage is not necessarily a good endorsement. In the lists of "medicinal" plant species you will find all the physical distresses for which they were USED, whether or not they were EFFECTIVE. So "Hooray" for willow bark, but some other plants were supposed to cure opposite conditions--e.g. constipation AND diarrhea??? This is why modern medicine evolved!

Secondly, old-time prescriptions lacked reliable concentrations of these natural substances, so one dosage might be useful and another lethal. And to me, the biggest joke of all is the fact that so many preparations specified mixing with either laudanum or saleratus. Laudanum contains almost all of the opium alkaloids, including morphine and codeine. Saleratus is that old stand-by for digestive upset, sodium bicarbonate or baking soda. To my mind, the herbs were just for flavoring! :)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8630586

Thank you for your information. My articles are all about the history of the plant, how it WAS used medicinally.

All plants have a history, right or wrong. I am not an herbalist, but I am an historian, and my articles reflect the history as it applied to me. Of course we must also consider that the stories took place in the 1950's.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Ya did it again! A delightful article! Elena 53 May 28, 2009 11:20 PM
A Treasure postmandug 7 May 26, 2009 7:16 PM
mature and juvenile forms of ivy gloria125 15 Jan 28, 2013 7:50 AM
other ivies jrainger 2 Jun 2, 2009 5:19 AM
Great article dbelcher 1 Jun 13, 2011 9:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America