Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm: BT and prevention of larvae hatching

Communities > Forums > Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm
bookmark
Forum: Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato HornwormReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robinrs
Bray, OK

June 14, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8630984

i found several hornworms two nights ago in my garden. they were still kind of small but had all the markings etc. so, i pulled them and killed them.

today, i've had to shoo away the moth that produces those gross things twice. no doubt it's laid more eggs. i would just be on the look out, but will be out of town next week. my question is, if i use the bt, will it kill the eggs before they even hatch?

i have someone coming to water, but they won't be able to come at dusk every night a scour for hornworms. i really want my plants to be here when i get back. =(

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8631543

The way I understand it, BT does not kill the eggs, but if you spray, the caterpillars will die before they have time to do much damage. Some insecticidal soaps will kill the eggs, so if you want to use the two products, you might be able to prevent the hatching. Eggs are generally laid on the undersides of the leaves, so you need to make sure you spray there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm a wimp... catmad 15 Aug 17, 2008 12:44 PM
friend or foe? depends what they munch critterologist 4 Aug 19, 2008 4:23 PM
Bt questions TexasTammy 2 Aug 11, 2008 1:55 PM
Attack of the Tomato Hornworms joy112854 2 Sep 5, 2008 7:25 AM
Help !Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! SobeGardener 1 Apr 4, 2009 12:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America