Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Rare Plants

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 113, Views: 1,007
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8631333

I thought I would start a thread for rare or unusual plants.

Here is one of mine.
A very rare beautiful large shrub, growing up to 3 metres. The foliage is very dark green and quite dense. The flowers are large, tubular, pure white in colour and fragrant. Must have bright light to flower well. A beautiful shrub for the collector or home gardener.

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2011
1:49 AM

Post #8631351

Marleneann, you are killing me...what is it? Or do we have to guess?

I like this idea for a thread...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8631354

OOOOpppppssss...Euclinia longiflora. (African Tree Gardenia)

I would like to see some of your unusual plants too.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8631363

Thanks for the name...It's beautiful...
.I dare say cestrum will be very interested in that plant if she doesn't already have it...

I will have to hunt something up...just had a thought..took this today... it isn't rare, but it isn't too common and it smells wonderful for the size of it's tiny flowers...Wintersweet...it's a messy plant that flowers before the ratty leaves fall off...but it's a gem for it's perfume.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:19 AM

Post #8631383

Wintersweet?????
Never heard of it.
That is an unusual plant for sure.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8631384

This is a rare and beautiful ginger that grows to about 5ft high. I keep it in a large pot.

Hedychium longicornutum

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8631398

I don't think that I have any rare plants, but I sure am enjoying looking at yours Marlene. That Ginger is spectacular. I have heard of Wintersweet but thought that it was just the common name that the Americans were using. I will have a look around tomorrow and see if I can come up with something. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8632554

Colleen your Brugs are rare.

Only a handful of people have them (the seedlings) ...some are so rare only one person has one.
These hybrid seedlings are the rarest of the rare until shared and even then they remain rare here in Australia.

Brugmansia Melissa Amy (only one in Australia) so far. :) that's pretty rare.
You have hundreds of rare seedlings yet to bloom Colleen.

That's a very attractive Ginger Marlene.
cestrum has a great collection of rare plants.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8632717

Um, I don't think I have many rare plants (excluding all the brug seedlings, which are genetically unique as Chrissy says). Since the Artabotrys went north, I don't think I have any truly rare plants left. Maybe those that aren't commonly available/available at most nurseries, but none that is truly rare, I think. And I've posted numerous photos of my favourites (eg the champacas) and those that have flowered for the first time (Cananga, which certainly isn't rare but is a novelty for a southerner like me).

I've seen the Euclinia for sale on ebay but didn't bother bidding as I've given up trying to grow tender tropicals. I do have two other forms of so-called tree gardenias: G. thunbergia and Rothmannia globosa, none of which has flowered. And neither of them is rare!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8632728

I have no idea if this is really rare , but I have never seen one . This is a white Scilla.
I have heaps of the blue in the garden, but this one was in an old pot that came home with the epi collection .
I love it . I am hoping to spread it around a bit now it is growing well.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8632731

Fantastic Ginger...and the beautiful Melissa Amy...great pics.

Here is an Astilbe, a lovely feathery plant, that I always grow near my fish ponds...I have it in shades of pink/lilac, there are other colours but I haven't seen them.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 15, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8632770

Strophanthus speciosus

Thumbnail by gardengal

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8632773

Ah, I'd been eyeing the Strophanthus seeds on ebay. But decided too tender to try LOL

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 1:39 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 15, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8632821

Which species?
The above (S. speciosus) grows pretty well in Melbourne, it is from South Africa after all.
If you grow it under a large tree it will climb vigorously, but it's more restrained in an exposed position. Likes part shade.
The flowers have a nice scent, sometimes called Corkscrew flower/Poison Rope

Does anyone have other species?, would love to try some under cover any have a hint of hardiness. Such unique, curious flowers. Appears there are a fair few different ones.
S. preusii is just amazing IMO

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8633166

WOW!... I have never seen any of these plants.
Can you please give the growing condition the plant requires. If they are suitable for my climate I put them on my ""WANTED" list.
Please keep posting.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8633233

There are three species available on ebay: http://home.shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=Strophanthus &_sacat=1509&_dmpt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&_odkw=&_osacat=1509&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

But of those three, only the speciosus can be legally imported: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8600630&intCommodityId=5647&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go to full text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

Perhaps I'll consider growing it if I return to Melbourne one day :-)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 15, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8633270

Might be able to take some cuttings in spring...
I obtained mine from a sale at the botanic gardens here, they often have unusual plants for sale.

It is easy to grow from seed also.

Looks like they are quite highly sort after:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Strophanthus-divaricatus-RARE-FLOWERING-TROPICAL-/250811051965

What a stunning flower on that one, but pricey.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8633274

Just as well then that it's not one of my obsessions :-)
I used to go to the Friends of the Melbourne Botanic Garden sales--almost bought a sanguinea there. (But someone beat me to it!) Alas, no such organisation in Brisbane that I'm aware of.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8633292

I am sooo relieved my itch has been scratched in regard to rare anything now days. I will just enjoy everyone else's treasures.

Hey I wonder who bought that one on Ebay Lol .:)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8633319

Actually, I did buy two *interesting* plants last year from Diggers: a Calodendrum capense (Cape chestnut) and a Dais cotinifolia (pom pon tree). Little more than cuttings, though, and I don't know if they'll survive winter. But the brug seedlings take up most of my time now and they satisfy that craving for something new: anticipating the first flush of blooms on a seedling is such a thrill!

One more from somewhere else: a Bolivian fuchsia (F. boliviana alba).

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 2:10 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8633343

I have seen that one growing in a garden up at Warragamba The B fuchsia I mean. In the yard of an old home.
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/d - g/fuchsia_boliviana_a.htm

I wonder if it's a granny plant, the plant looked like it had been there for a long time and it wept down over the pathway out front.No I didn't take any, just admired it. If it isn't that one it looks just the same as it.
Those old homes were occupied by the builders of the Dam and as such were from many different Lands as lots of New Australians helped to build it.
As such the yards of these old homes are full of unusual and different plants (probably no customs dramas in those days).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 15, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8633356

Mine is growing under the canopy of one of the champacas, facing east. (With brug seedlings on both sides!) I'm hoping that will protect it from frost in winter and excessive sun/heat in summer ...

PS Probably were no trained dogs at airports/ports to sniff out the cuttings stashed down the trousers LOL

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 2:46 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8633399

Not sure if this works or not
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12925305
Hopefully it will take you to a picture Gallery Of Marianne North, a great favourite of mine ...her art and her bravery make me a huge fan. these paintings are but a taste ...I have her book A Vision of Eden. There are Brugs in there and a double purple datura growing near the water in a jungle.unfortunately not in this slideshow.
Edited to say it takes a minute to load on Broadband ...sorry

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 4:30 PM
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 15, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8633413

lucas13 wrote:
If you grow it under a large tree it will climb vigorously, but it's more restrained in an exposed position.

That explains why mine, planted near a palm, has stayed fairly shrubby (and small) while just a solitary stem, (the closest to the palm so gets more shade than the rest of the plant) has shot up. I did try air layering once, but it failed (and seemed to set back the remainder of the stem) so haven't tried again since

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 15, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8633417

Ok my memory was playing tricks on me ...I hauled out her book and now I understand things a bit better, She was a great Artist but the Brug and Dat info was not always correct.

The one growing by the water (yes I haven't looked for quite a while) was id' ed by her as an Arborea no it isn't.
The one id'ed by her as a Sang is in fact a Datura double at least and perhaps a triple. Purple exterior, white interior (Jamaica 1871/1872.)
Wow! I have had that book for many years and obviously before I could tell one Brug from another ...no wonder there is so much confusion regarding some rare plants ...I guess many new gardeners go by books, in the beginning so did I but as I learned more I found so much stuff was incorrect.
Just wondering why no one ever said anything to these people publishing the modern reference books. Wow, I can understand old books like A Vision Of Eden having a few errors but the "proper reference books" ...hmmm.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8633437

Those Strophanthus are to die for. $38.00 hey?
How can I get $38?????
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

June 16, 2011
12:07 AM

Post #8633477

Well I've got quite a few rarey's (is that a word????) Here's a gmelina philippensis haven't seen it any local nurseries, bought this on ebay.

Mine is a recent acquisition and is still growing but should flower next summer ...maybe...it's a shrub which can be grown as a bonsai or grown as a big bush as seen in the link below. I'm growing it as a hanging plant more for safety ( away from the wallabies) rather than preference.

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/gmelina_philippensis.htm

Thumbnail by MyaC

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2011
12:45 AM

Post #8633504

MyaC wrote:Well I've got quite a few rarey's (is that a word????) Here's a gmelina philippensis haven't seen it any local nurseries, bought this on ebay.

Mine is a recent acquisition and is still growing but should flower next summer ...maybe...it's a shrub which can be grown as a bonsai or grown as a big bush as seen in the link below. I'm growing it as a hanging plant more for safety ( away from the wallabies) rather than preference.

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/gmelina_philippensis.htm[/quote]

I am first on the list for the seeds when they are ready for harvest...please?

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2011
12:57 AM

Post #8633508

This plant is not at it's best just now. Weather hasn't been good for it.

Rare foliage plant Alocasia Stingray.

Everytime I see this plant it reminds me of Steve Irwin.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8633563

77sunset wrote:I have no idea if this is really rare , but I have never seen one . This is a white Scilla.
I have heaps of the blue in the garden, but this one was in an old pot that came home with the epi collection .
I love it . I am hoping to spread it around a bit now it is growing well.
Jean.

Jean would that grow in the subtropics?
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

June 16, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8634450

Marleneann wrote:

I am first on the list for the seeds when they are ready for harvest...please?

No problems,it certainly looks an interesting plant...I'm sure to post pictures when it flowers, so give me a holler than as a reminder for seeds.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 16, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8634587

I have no idea whether the white Scilla will grow in the tropics Marlene. Mine is only small at the moment and a lot slower to multiply than the common blue.
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 16, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8634941

Osmoxylon "Thai Dancer"
I have tried to grow this from cuttings but have had no success. I will try in the warmer with a with a few seed I managed to get.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 17, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8635570

A green Anthurium.

Anthurium Esmeralda

Thumbnail by Marleneann

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 17, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8635583

will be able to post some rarities soon,.,.but will enjoy watching for now

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 17, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8637359

This is surely my rarest plant, Dioscorea Elephantipes...I bought it 18mnths ago...
It's a fascinating thing...each lumpy thing at it's base is called a caudex and is like cork and if it get's bumped they fall off and the plant takes a new shape.
It hasn't flowered yet, the flowers are insignificant, though they are fragrant so it will be interesting when they do..
They can grow huge up to 1 metre across..I will be long gone before that happens, so it will be in my will to go to the Geelong Botanic gardens...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 17, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8637365

Here is it's caudex.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 17, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8637407

That Elephant's foot is interesting Dianne,

I am enjoying all the rare stuff ...hey Jean your seedling Iochromas are pretty rare, like the Angels those hybrid ones are unique.
Put yours in here ...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 18, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8639200

Seachanger wrote:Thanks for the name...It's beautiful...
.I dare say cestrum will be very interested in that plant if she doesn't already have it...

I will have to hunt something up...just had a thought..took this today... it isn't rare, but it isn't too common and it smells wonderful for the size of it's tiny flowers...Wintersweet...it's a messy plant that flowers before the ratty leaves fall off...but it's a gem for it's perfume.

Hey I just picked up a wintersweet- Chimonanthus praecox, in flower currently.
Incredible scent!! Love it.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2646846.htm

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 18, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8639220

Winter sweet is a delicious perfume!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 18, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8639369

Great addition to your garden, Lucas...you won't notice it until it flowers each year...a little gem.

Here is an Arisaema triphyllum, I have 2 others, one pink and the other is dark with a pure white spadex.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 18, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8639496

Some interesting and rare plants around. Only trouble is I want them too. *CRYING*

I tried to grow an Arisaema here at Buderim and paid big money for it...only to have it die.

That Dioscorea Elephantipes is something quite amazing.

Looking forward to seeing more of the ones that are difficult to find.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 19, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8639547

so jealous of that Wintersweet...
I have Witch Hazel - non scented & Winter Hazel no scent detected but I might be missing something.
I don't know if Winter Hazel is rare but very few people seem to have heard of it.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 19, 2011
12:49 AM

Post #8639565

Teresa I have never seen a Witch Hazel plant.
It does look interesting.
I will "Google" it and find out more about it.

Do any Aussies have this plant growing?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 19, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8639569

the picture is Winter Hazel, Witch Hazel seems more common, just look in the plant files!
Many are sweetly scented but mine was obviously bred for pretty flowers.
Picture is my witch hazel last winter.
Quite different flowers to the winter hazel.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8639577

It needs a moderate to cool climate to do well Marlene.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 19, 2011
1:49 AM

Post #8639579

Thanks Chrissy!...I don't think it would like the Buderim climate.
Darn...

Sorry Teresa ...I got my "winters " and " witchs" mixed up.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 19, 2011
2:50 AM

Post #8639592

Thought I may as well put my Winter Hippeastrum up in here too, is that okay. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 19, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8640791

That's beautifly, Colleen, one of the species varieties, I take it?

Pam
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 19, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8640797

Pam, I don't know anything about it, do you? I'm open for any info on it. Colleen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 19, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8640965

Colleen I think you have come up with a new variety. Better register it!

I wonder if anyone know much about this climbing Anthurium.
I don't think this is a flower on it...more like a fruit.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 19, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8641055

Colleen, its beautiful. Mine is growing well but no flower this time. Where did yours come from ?
It has that hippie look to the petals and leaves,so pretty
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 19, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8641077

It came from a bloke about 5kms up the road where I was getting some cactus. He said it was a Winter Hippeastrum. He's a fairly knowledgable man so I would say that is correct. I might put the pic over in the hippy site and see what comes of it. Be back later when I have an answer. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 19, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8641142

Try this Collen
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2786/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 20, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8641643

That is beautiful, Colleen...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2011
12:09 AM

Post #8641652

Please excuse typo Colleen was that red one down the bottom (middle) your Hippy ??
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 20, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8641679

Chrissy I thought so too when I first saw it, but the ends of my stamens are purple. I don't know whether that makes any difference, and also my throat is green. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 20, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8643041

Well everyone have got the ID for the Hippeastrum. It comes from Sth America and is Hippeastrum aulicum forma robustum. Does anyone know what forma means please? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8643147

Forma probably means form Colleen.
http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/251.htm

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 20, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8643195

Colleen it says
Quote..." where it grows as an epiphyte in trees" ?????????

Would be an interesting experiment to put a bulb in the fork of a tree and see how it goes.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 20, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8643209

Marlene, I have a lovely large rock with crevices in it that I was going to put broms on, but I might give it a try on there. I've never heard of bulbs being epiphytic. Colleen

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 20, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8643346

Wow, an epiphytic bulb?!
Spectacular flowers :)

Well there you go:

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/HippeastrumSpeciesOne
There are some pics of it growing in trees in the wild.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 20, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8643738

Colleen, looks like I can add a new dimension to my epiphyte epis and broms. Look out , here comes hanging hippie. lol
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 20, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8643757

Jean it's really nice to have something unusual isn't it? I think I will manouvre the large rock into the SH with the broms and put one on there. Not yet though. I might wait til it's flowered. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 24, 2011
1:12 AM

Post #8650759

Colleen,i have a lovely''large'' stomach,with crevices,but im not going to put broms on it,.,.i hope your rock looks great when finished,..,thats a good lookin specie hippie!!!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2011 7:39 AM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 24, 2011
1:50 AM

Post #8650771

Thank you Anthony. I'm not putting it on my stomach either. lol Colleen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 24, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8652307

Anthony I'll bet I can beat your stomach crevices! *LOL*

I visited a garden yesterday that had the most unusual planting places...even on the garden shed roof. All adds to the adventure.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 28, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8659162

I found this picture of Barteria fistulosa.
Does anyone know if this plant is available in Australia?

Thumbnail by Marleneann

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011
1:34 AM

Post #8659175

For curiosity/interests sake fitting for this thread, here is one exceedingly rare plant: Deppea splendens.
It Was native to Mexico, extinct in the wild, looks like a Fuchsia but it is a member of the Rubiaceae (coffee) family.
Also happens to be a most attractive plant too, IMHO.

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/111.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/polylepis/4404791933/
http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/potd/2007/11/deppea_splendens.php
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/deppea_splendens.htm
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=2209

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8659179

That is gorgeous and just look at those leaves :-)
It really is lovely...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

June 28, 2011
2:17 AM

Post #8659181

It's a stunner of a plant for sure.
That guy (strange wonderful things) has some incredible plants, interesting website.

Just saw 7 seeds of Deppea sold for US $138 on us ebay.

I was looking it up and by chance stumbled across a reference to a Brugmansia vulcanicola (dunno if same seller or not) that apparently sold for over US $450 on ebay last year!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 1:25 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 28, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8660520

That is certainly a beautiful plant Lucas. I wonder how many others have gone the same way.
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 18, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8762406

My Anthurium Black Queen is in flower now.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 18, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8762472

That's lovely Marlene. How are they all doing? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 18, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8763522

You must have a great collection, Marlene..
They are very pretty things...I have tried them but they tend to sit...I had a dear friend who grew them quite easily (the red ones) in her S/H...

How are everyone's plants growing...
My Wintersweet has tiny seed pods on it...if anyone wants any,
I will try to save them with a stocking..
Dianne.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 19, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8764134

My favourite foliage is this Quilted Taffeta Plant
(Hoffmannia refulgens)
It doesn't like the cold but come the spring it will start to improve.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 19, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8764135

Dianne that Arisaema triphyllum of yours...does it grow in warmer climates?
That is so unusual. I love it.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 2, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8789723

Sorry Marlene, I don't know why I forgot to reply...anyway the Arisaema triphyllum is an American woodland plant, so it would probably be a bit warm...

This Arisaema is not fully opened...it is an A.sikokianum...
All arms and legs at the moment.
Jean, I forgot to answer your question too...you are right it is the sikokianum...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Dianegai
Grafton
Australia

September 3, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8792156

First bloom for spring...hippeastrum papillio

Thumbnail by Dianegai

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

September 5, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8793747

Diane...I had that plant but it went to heaven. Why is it the good ones die?
Very Nice.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9069216

I'm off to Cairns in the middle of April and found a nursery that stocks this plant...Cestrum what do you think?

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/portlandia_grandiflora.htm

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 4, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9069260

cestrum will love it Mya, it's perfumed and I think it's gorgeous..
One of the pics near the end of the page, makes it look like satin...
What a lovely thing...you will have to have one of those...
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9069724

Seachanger wrote:cestrum will love it Mya, it's perfumed and I think it's gorgeous..
One of the pics near the end of the page, makes it look like satin...
What a lovely thing...you will have to have one of those...

was there any doubt...

Yes they are gorgeous looking, but like cestrum I'm after more perfumed but unusal looking plants...the rarer the better more of a challenge for the gardening soul.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9069875

It used to be on my list, Mya. But I've given up on the tender tropicals as they just can't survive the winter nights here. In fact, just the other day I was looking at the sorry mess of my last (barely) surviving Tabernaemontana (now a twig with one leaf) , which hasn't recovered from last winter. I think it's cruelty against plants to try growing them here!

But it should do fantastically well at your place, so go for it! You'll have to describe the perfume when it flowers for you. BTW, my canangas are in flower too (but your plant came from a nursery, not from me).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9069879

Oh yes, here's an interesting offering:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deppea-splendens-Extremely-Rare-Seeds-/140734144614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c468a066

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9070239

Don't forget to keep us posted on all your pretty plants Mya :-)

Yes me too cestrum. Given up on wanting anything that can't deal with the cold temps we are getting here, it has definitely been colder (and very very wet) this past three years, I have lived here over 20 years and it has felt like I moved somewhere else.
Cold and wet kills lots of tropical plants. :(
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9070361

Mya, your nursery purchase should be cheaper than this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portlandia-grandiflora-RARE-SCENTED-FLOWERING-SHRUB-/251031719328?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item3a72a80da0
(And bidding doesn't end for another four days.) Probably larger too, as this is tube-sized. Not sure how big the tube is, but a tube is generally quite small ...
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9070365

OMG... no way will I pay those sort of prices again, especially where I live when they could be eaten at any time...good to see I've got expensive tastes.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 4, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9070371

MyaC wrote:I'm off to Cairns in the middle of April and found a nursery that stocks this plant...Cestrum what do you think?

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/portlandia_grandiflora.htm[/quote]

I've already got Magnolia (Michelia) champaca "Alba" which constantly send out wafts of a beautiful fragrance. This one sounds like it could be a nice addition. Which nursery has it?
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9070372

Equatorial Exotics at Crystal Cascades, they have the most exotic, unobtainable, drop dead drool plants , I have ever seen...can't wait to walk around there, the ladies name is Chris and she just wants me to ring her the day before coming with my list...

How often do you get to Cairns tropicbreeze?

This message was edited Apr 5, 2012 2:28 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9070375

Ok Mya which ones are on your list :-)

http://www.equatorialexotics.com/gallery1.htm

So glad I scratched my itch ...I make my own rare plants now just as you no doubt are going to.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 5, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9070379

Medinilla miniata, Medinilla lalique

all her dieffenbachias, I haven't seen those dark colours or shape before.

Browniopsis sp

and the portlandia

and that's it...the Medinilla miniata/lalique are for my friends 50th, she swears black and blue that there are NO crimson medinilla's, will she be gobsmacked, literally...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2012
12:40 AM

Post #9070387

Hope you get everything you want ...oh to be a fly on the wall when you present her with that !
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 5, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9070391

MyaC, I looked at that Ebay link and realised it was Chris. They've got a great place there, although it's awkward to find. You'll love their collection of plants. They're really big on aroids.

Don't get to Cairns as often as I'd like. Many years back I lived at Yorkey's Knob. Visited middle of last year, so I suppose of late it's been pretty much yearly. Another nursery there that's pretty good (though not as good as Chris's) is Limberlost at Freshwater.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 5, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9070403

Aroids, yummy, wallabies don't like aroids.

I actually got my aphelandra sinclairiana from Limberlost but got that sent down, so will definitely go for a looksey. Hope the weather is good that week, the models are forecasting a low for anytime after the 15th and some of the rain models are already predicting bucket loads of rain...forecasting the low to go up the top end, enter the GOC and head for the Northern Territory, just hope we don't get any more rain, had that spat of 600mm over 4 days here on the island and I'm over bad weather. How did your wet go?

This message was edited Apr 5, 2012 5:31 AM
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

April 6, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9071526

Wet? What wet? The season started off reasonably well and then TC Grant came along. Sucked the moisture out of a lot of areas (including mine) but other nearby areas got hit with up to 300mm in a day. From then on it's been mostly Build-up with occasional drenchings in between. But even with the heavy drenchings we're still way below average rainfall. The past week or so the air has changed to what feels like the dry. But we're hanging out for the late burst, probably the low you mentioned, to cool us off and wet us down before the official dry rolls in.

I'll probably be in Cairns August, most likely later September this year and will be calling in on Chris. Only thing is it's a long drive back home with any plants at a very hot time of year.
Adelphine
Vancouver, BC
Canada

May 3, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9109061

Doe anybody know how to distinguish a male from a female Helwingia sinensis?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9109074

I hope this helps Adelphine :)
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/260674/Helwingia

chrissy
AdamBorzy
QLD
Australia

May 19, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9129553

chrissy100 wrote:I hope this helps Adelphine :)
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/260674/Helwingia

I didn't know that. Great post chrissy. Thanks.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 22, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9134169

Some Brug- lookalikes

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/207277/

http://www.br.fgov.be/research/COLLECTIONS/LIVING/LIVCOL/lp-qry04.php?accid=19761047&dianbr=6005007192141
http://www.aseanbiodiversity.info/Abstract/51008540.pdf

My pic, Cairns bot gardens. Euclinia...

Thumbnail by lucas13

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 22, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9134191

Selaginella wildenovii (electric fern), Licuala grandis, Licuala ramsayi (habitat, daintree),

Thumbnail by lucas13   Thumbnail by lucas13   Thumbnail by lucas13
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 22, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9134222

some economic plants
Wild Coffea arabica (coffee), Variegated branch on Camellia sinensis (tea), Theobroma cacao (chocolate), Piper nigrum (true pepper),

i know these are not really rare (variegated tea may be uncommon), moreso just somewhat exotic to a southerner...

Thumbnail by lucas13   Thumbnail by lucas13   Thumbnail by lucas13   Thumbnail by lucas13

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

May 22, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9134235

Amorphophallus paeoniifolius, Brug hiding in the jungle... pink aurea?

Thumbnail by lucas13   Thumbnail by lucas13

popper1
Mulberry, FL

June 15, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9167147

Marleneann-I have a varigated Osmonxylon but haave never been able to get it to bloom. What conditions is yours grown under?

I'm not in Australia, but here are a few rare ones, at least in the US-

Thumbnail by popper1   Thumbnail by popper1   Thumbnail by popper1   Thumbnail by popper1   Thumbnail by popper1

popper1
Mulberry, FL

June 15, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9167148

Here are two more flowers, the 1st one goes with the thrid pic above

Thumbnail by popper1   Thumbnail by popper1

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9167162

lucas13 wrote:some economic plants
Wild Coffea arabica (coffee), Variegated branch on Camellia sinensis (tea), Theobroma cacao (chocolate), Piper nigrum (true pepper),

i know these are not really rare (variegated tea may be uncommon), moreso just somewhat exotic to a southerner...

Lucas I have had a Arabica Coffee tree for eight years...healthy but never flowered

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9167163

popper1 wrote:Marleneann-I have a varigated Osmonxylon but haave never been able to get it to bloom. What conditions is yours grown under?

I'm not in Australia, but here are a few rare ones, at least in the US-

I have mine under a clump of bamboo and it gets filtered morning and late afternoon sun. I stand the large pot in a saucer of water. If it dries out it tends to wilt.

I see I have rooted a cutting that I planted a year ago.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 15, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9167165

Here is a picture of the started cutting Osmoxylon "Thai Dancer"

Thumbnail by Marleneann

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 15, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9167169

Lucas13 and David, "rare" can be rather subjective. What's rare in one place maybe quite common elsewhere, or vice versa. They're all good.

On the Coffea arabica, I had one constantly producing berries but I can't even bear the smell of coffee. The ants started to farm sap suckers on it so I painted the lower trunk with vaseline. It ring barked the tree and killed it. Never worried about replacing it. I've also got Theobroma cacao, Piper nigrum and (lots of) Amorphophallus paeoniifolius. These are looked after better than the coffee.

Don't have any of those of yours David, not even the Brugs. They just won't grow here.

First (left to right) is Decaisnina signata, Allosyncarpia ternata, Syzygium suborbiculare, Utricularia fulva, Lasia spinosa

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 15, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9167176

How interesting is that Decaisnina signata, amazing...I haven't seen any of your plants, tropic breeze.
Thanks for posting.
popper1
Mulberry, FL

June 16, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9167239

Marleneann, my Osmoxylon is under the same conditions, what time of the year does yours bloom?

Those are all great Zig, I love Syzygium, very hard to gget them here, I have managed to get two.

Mine are

Camptosema grandiflora, Ixora longistipula, Wercklea ferox, yellow Clerodendrum paniculatum, yellow Butea monospema

The white flower in the second post is not a Brugg, its Portlandia grandiflora
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 16, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9167284

Seachanger, the Decaisnina signata is actually a mistletoe. They're relatively common here, although very few people look up and see them or know they exist.

My mistake David, should have remembered it from the other post. I remarked how I'd like to get one.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 16, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9168083

Just dug out a photo of my Amorphophallus paeoniifolius flowering. Second photo is another unusual one, Cyrtosperma cuspidispathum.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 16, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9168178

Amorphophallus paeoniifolius flowering...wow...they both remind me in a vague way of my Arisaemas...
very vague of course...
Similar situation here with the Clematis aristata...it grows all along the coast in the Moonah trees especially, but nobody notices it...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America