Rare Plants

Sunshine Coast, Australia

I thought I would start a thread for rare or unusual plants.

Here is one of mine.
A very rare beautiful large shrub, growing up to 3 metres. The foliage is very dark green and quite dense. The flowers are large, tubular, pure white in colour and fragrant. Must have bright light to flower well. A beautiful shrub for the collector or home gardener.

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Clifton Springs, Australia

Marleneann, you are killing me...what is it? Or do we have to guess?

I like this idea for a thread...

OOOOpppppssss....Euclinia longiflora. (African Tree Gardenia)

I would like to see some of your unusual plants too.

Thanks for the name.....It's beautiful...
.I dare say cestrum will be very interested in that plant if she doesn't already have it...

I will have to hunt something up....just had a thought..took this today... it isn't rare, but it isn't too common and it smells wonderful for the size of it's tiny flowers....Wintersweet...it's a messy plant that flowers before the ratty leaves fall off...but it's a gem for it's perfume.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Wintersweet?????
Never heard of it.
That is an unusual plant for sure.

This is a rare and beautiful ginger that grows to about 5ft high. I keep it in a large pot.

Hedychium longicornutum

Thumbnail by Marleneann
barmera, Australia

I don't think that I have any rare plants, but I sure am enjoying looking at yours Marlene. That Ginger is spectacular. I have heard of Wintersweet but thought that it was just the common name that the Americans were using. I will have a look around tomorrow and see if I can come up with something. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

Colleen your Brugs are rare.

Only a handful of people have them (the seedlings) ...some are so rare only one person has one.
These hybrid seedlings are the rarest of the rare until shared and even then they remain rare here in Australia.

Brugmansia Melissa Amy (only one in Australia) so far. :) that's pretty rare.
You have hundreds of rare seedlings yet to bloom Colleen.

That's a very attractive Ginger Marlene.
cestrum has a great collection of rare plants.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
West of Brisbane, Australia

Um, I don't think I have many rare plants (excluding all the brug seedlings, which are genetically unique as Chrissy says). Since the Artabotrys went north, I don't think I have any truly rare plants left. Maybe those that aren't commonly available/available at most nurseries, but none that is truly rare, I think. And I've posted numerous photos of my favourites (eg the champacas) and those that have flowered for the first time (Cananga, which certainly isn't rare but is a novelty for a southerner like me).

I've seen the Euclinia for sale on ebay but didn't bother bidding as I've given up trying to grow tender tropicals. I do have two other forms of so-called tree gardenias: G. thunbergia and Rothmannia globosa, none of which has flowered. And neither of them is rare!

Merino, Australia

I have no idea if this is really rare , but I have never seen one . This is a white Scilla.
I have heaps of the blue in the garden, but this one was in an old pot that came home with the epi collection .
I love it . I am hoping to spread it around a bit now it is growing well.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Fantastic Ginger......and the beautiful Melissa Amy...great pics.

Here is an Astilbe, a lovely feathery plant, that I always grow near my fish ponds...I have it in shades of pink/lilac, there are other colours but I haven't seen them.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
se qld, Australia

Strophanthus speciosus

Thumbnail by gardengal

Ah, I'd been eyeing the Strophanthus seeds on ebay. But decided too tender to try LOL

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 1:39 PM

Victoria, Australia

Which species?
The above (S. speciosus) grows pretty well in Melbourne, it is from South Africa after all.
If you grow it under a large tree it will climb vigorously, but it's more restrained in an exposed position. Likes part shade.
The flowers have a nice scent, sometimes called Corkscrew flower/Poison Rope

Does anyone have other species?, would love to try some under cover any have a hint of hardiness. Such unique, curious flowers. Appears there are a fair few different ones.
S. preusii is just amazing IMO

WOW!.... I have never seen any of these plants.
Can you please give the growing condition the plant requires. If they are suitable for my climate I put them on my ""WANTED" list.
Please keep posting.

There are three species available on ebay: http://home.shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=Strophanthus+&_sacat=1509&_dmpt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&_odkw=&_osacat=1509&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

But of those three, only the speciosus can be legally imported: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8600630&intCommodityId=5647&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

Perhaps I'll consider growing it if I return to Melbourne one day :-)

Victoria, Australia

Might be able to take some cuttings in spring...
I obtained mine from a sale at the botanic gardens here, they often have unusual plants for sale.

It is easy to grow from seed also.

Looks like they are quite highly sort after:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Strophanthus-divaricatus-RARE-FLOWERING-TROPICAL-/250811051965

What a stunning flower on that one, but pricey.

Just as well then that it's not one of my obsessions :-)
I used to go to the Friends of the Melbourne Botanic Garden sales--almost bought a sanguinea there. (But someone beat me to it!) Alas, no such organisation in Brisbane that I'm aware of.

Sydney, Australia

I am sooo relieved my itch has been scratched in regard to rare anything now days. I will just enjoy everyone else's treasures.

Hey I wonder who bought that one on Ebay Lol .:)

Actually, I did buy two *interesting* plants last year from Diggers: a Calodendrum capense (Cape chestnut) and a Dais cotinifolia (pom pon tree). Little more than cuttings, though, and I don't know if they'll survive winter. But the brug seedlings take up most of my time now and they satisfy that craving for something new: anticipating the first flush of blooms on a seedling is such a thrill!

One more from somewhere else: a Bolivian fuchsia (F. boliviana alba).

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 2:10 PM

Sydney, Australia

I have seen that one growing in a garden up at Warragamba The B fuchsia I mean. In the yard of an old home.
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/d%20-%20g/fuchsia_boliviana_a.htm

I wonder if it's a granny plant, the plant looked like it had been there for a long time and it wept down over the pathway out front.No I didn't take any, just admired it. If it isn't that one it looks just the same as it.
Those old homes were occupied by the builders of the Dam and as such were from many different Lands as lots of New Australians helped to build it.
As such the yards of these old homes are full of unusual and different plants (probably no customs dramas in those days).

Mine is growing under the canopy of one of the champacas, facing east. (With brug seedlings on both sides!) I'm hoping that will protect it from frost in winter and excessive sun/heat in summer ...

PS Probably were no trained dogs at airports/ports to sniff out the cuttings stashed down the trousers LOL

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 2:46 PM

Sydney, Australia

Not sure if this works or not
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12925305
Hopefully it will take you to a picture Gallery Of Marianne North, a great favourite of mine ...her art and her bravery make me a huge fan. these paintings are but a taste ...I have her book A Vision of Eden. There are Brugs in there and a double purple datura growing near the water in a jungle.unfortunately not in this slideshow.
Edited to say it takes a minute to load on Broadband ...sorry

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 4:30 PM

se qld, Australia

Quote from lucas13 :

If you grow it under a large tree it will climb vigorously, but it's more restrained in an exposed position.

That explains why mine, planted near a palm, has stayed fairly shrubby (and small) while just a solitary stem, (the closest to the palm so gets more shade than the rest of the plant) has shot up. I did try air layering once, but it failed (and seemed to set back the remainder of the stem) so haven't tried again since

Sydney, Australia

Ok my memory was playing tricks on me ...I hauled out her book and now I understand things a bit better, She was a great Artist but the Brug and Dat info was not always correct.

The one growing by the water (yes I haven't looked for quite a while) was id' ed by her as an Arborea no it isn't.
The one id'ed by her as a Sang is in fact a Datura double at least and perhaps a triple. Purple exterior, white interior (Jamaica 1871/1872.)
Wow! I have had that book for many years and obviously before I could tell one Brug from another ...no wonder there is so much confusion regarding some rare plants ...I guess many new gardeners go by books, in the beginning so did I but as I learned more I found so much stuff was incorrect.
Just wondering why no one ever said anything to these people publishing the modern reference books. Wow, I can understand old books like A Vision Of Eden having a few errors but the "proper reference books" ...hmmm.

Those Strophanthus are to die for. $38.00 hey?
How can I get $38?????

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Well I've got quite a few rarey's (is that a word????) Here's a gmelina philippensis haven't seen it any local nurseries, bought this on ebay.

Mine is a recent acquisition and is still growing but should flower next summer ....maybe.......it's a shrub which can be grown as a bonsai or grown as a big bush as seen in the link below. I'm growing it as a hanging plant more for safety ( away from the wallabies) rather than preference.

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/gmelina_philippensis.htm

Thumbnail by MyaC

Quote from MyaC :
Well I've got quite a few rarey's (is that a word????) Here's a gmelina philippensis haven't seen it any local nurseries, bought this on ebay.

Mine is a recent acquisition and is still growing but should flower next summer ....maybe.......it's a shrub which can be grown as a bonsai or grown as a big bush as seen in the link below. I'm growing it as a hanging plant more for safety ( away from the wallabies) rather than preference.

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/gmelina_philippensis.htm

I am first on the list for the seeds when they are ready for harvest.....please?

This plant is not at it's best just now. Weather hasn't been good for it.

Rare foliage plant Alocasia Stingray.

Everytime I see this plant it reminds me of Steve Irwin.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Quote from 77sunset :
I have no idea if this is really rare , but I have never seen one . This is a white Scilla.
I have heaps of the blue in the garden, but this one was in an old pot that came home with the epi collection .
I love it . I am hoping to spread it around a bit now it is growing well.
Jean.

Jean would that grow in the subtropics?

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Quote from Marleneann :

I am first on the list for the seeds when they are ready for harvest.....please?

No problems,it certainly looks an interesting plant......I'm sure to post pictures when it flowers, so give me a holler than as a reminder for seeds.

Merino, Australia

I have no idea whether the white Scilla will grow in the tropics Marlene. Mine is only small at the moment and a lot slower to multiply than the common blue.
Jean.

Osmoxylon "Thai Dancer"
I have tried to grow this from cuttings but have had no success. I will try in the warmer with a with a few seed I managed to get.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

A green Anthurium.

Anthurium Esmeralda

Thumbnail by Marleneann
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

will be able to post some rarities soon,.,.but will enjoy watching for now

This is surely my rarest plant, Dioscorea Elephantipes....I bought it 18mnths ago.....
It's a fascinating thing.....each lumpy thing at it's base is called a caudex and is like cork and if it get's bumped they fall off and the plant takes a new shape.
It hasn't flowered yet, the flowers are insignificant, though they are fragrant so it will be interesting when they do..
They can grow huge up to 1 metre across..I will be long gone before that happens, so it will be in my will to go to the Geelong Botanic gardens.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Here is it's caudex.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Sydney, Australia

That Elephant's foot is interesting Dianne,

I am enjoying all the rare stuff ...hey Jean your seedling Iochromas are pretty rare, like the Angels those hybrid ones are unique.
Put yours in here ...

Victoria, Australia

Quote from Seachanger :
Thanks for the name.....It's beautiful...
.I dare say cestrum will be very interested in that plant if she doesn't already have it...

I will have to hunt something up....just had a thought..took this today... it isn't rare, but it isn't too common and it smells wonderful for the size of it's tiny flowers....Wintersweet...it's a messy plant that flowers before the ratty leaves fall off...but it's a gem for it's perfume.

Hey I just picked up a wintersweet- Chimonanthus praecox, in flower currently.
Incredible scent!! Love it.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2646846.htm

Sydney, Australia

Winter sweet is a delicious perfume!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.