Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hostas: New beds

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 50, Views: 503
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8631608

What's new with you?

I am quickly using up every bit of space in my front yard putting in some new beds and expanding or redoing old ones. I have it down to just a narrow two foot wide path through the middle of the yard with just a couple of areas left that need to be planted.

This first one is something I put in 3 years ago but hadn't been happy with the planting so I dug out 8 hostas, 4 astilbe, a bleeding heart and a columbine then planted 1 Atlantis, 14 Golden Scepeter, 28 Golden Tiara and 56 Lemon Lime for a total of 99 plants all in one day.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8631618

This one took me a couple of days just to dig the hole for the little pond and a day to plant the 15 hostas. I have Silver Maples so digging in my yard is a nightmare.

I planted American Sweetheart, Golden Scepter(temp filler), Ultramarine, Golden Tiara(temp filler), Earth Angel, Gemstone, Sparkling Burgundy, Yin, Spartan Arrow, Cat's Eyes, Praying Hands, Little Bo Peep, Chirp, Lakeside Zinger & Blue Mouse Ears Supreme.

Thumbnail by franknjim

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8631705

Makes me tired just to look at the pics. That's a lot of plants. The first garden looks quite full already. It will be continuous hosta once they mature. I hope you got those plants from divisions and didn't have to go buy all of them.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8631755

I just bought all but the Ultramarine, Golden Scepter, Golden Tiara and Lemon Lime. I planted both of those beds in two days and will do a third bed today if the rain holds off. I still have another 30 varieties in pots to plant. I am almost out, I need to get more. lol

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8632148

I love both beds! The Atlantis is one of my favorites.

What is the pointy blue one by the frog spitter?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8632206

That is Ultramarine.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8632332

I just saw Ultramarine at the nursery during lunch. It had a nice blue color to the leaves. But I ended up taking home Sleeping Beauty and Lakeside Hoola Hoop as my impulse buys instead.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 15, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8632567

You will have a very crowded hostas in 2 years since golden tiara will multiply 10 times. I like the design. is that your driveway?. Looks nice!! Bellie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8632614

That is the street in front of the round bed. That bed is on a slight slope with one layer of block on the yard side and it is five blocks tall on the street side. The Lemon Lime grows faster for me than the Golden Tiara. I have had them for about 20 years and have given away tons of it. Eventualy the Atlantis will cover the Golden Scepter and the Golden Tiara but that will take awhile.

Thumbnail by franknjim

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8632744

It's all lovely!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 15, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8632901

If it is the street, are you allowed to garden on city property? just curious. Bellie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8632966

Our court doesn't have sidewalks and the city will never put them in. The round bed is two feet away from the curb but I have plants all the way up to the curb all the way across the property. The city inspectors have been through here hundreds of times and they have never said anything about it. The entire front yard is all garden and 90% hostas. There isn't any grass. Once all of my hostas are mature it will be solid hostas with a narrow 2' wide path through the center. I expanded the oldest bed 18"- 24" a couple weeks ago and have that all planted with smalls and dwarf hostas. Today I added 12 more hostas across the front at the curb plus a few in other places.

This pic show where I expanded the first bed I ever put in. You can see where the flagstone was last year where the border of Lemon Lime is. I have half of those 30 pots in the path planted now. The other 15 get planted tomorrow.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8632970

I put this bed in last fall. It is against the driveway.

Thumbnail by franknjim

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8633028

Like franknjim, I have a city easement in front of my house - gives me maybe 10-15 extra feet of garden space in front. In 41 years, the city has never built a sidewalk and they never will on this quiet street. I take the risk that they might decide to dig up buried services or bury others, but I'm not prohibited from gardening there. Do you have a prohibition, Bellie?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 16, 2011
1:12 AM

Post #8633521

Ann,
I had never seen people planting up to the road so there might be some restrictions..

Anyway the beds are awesome!!!

I have new camera and new computer so it is still hard for me to post pictures. Happy gardening!!! Bellie

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8638717

Hi, love the hostas. Quick question, what is the green stuff growing inbetween the hostas?? Is it creeping jenny or another kind of groundcover?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8638723

It is Creeping Jenny. I regret having put it in. It likes to grow up over things.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8638750

I have some, well alot in the Gnome garden, I like it,, but then I also have to grap up handfulls around the hostas to keep it under control,,,sigh

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8640106

I dug some out of a wild area years ago because I thought it was pretty. Then I was stunned to find that nurseries sell the stuff. I'm still trying to get rid of it.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8640132

Golden Creeping Jenny is just as bad as her green cousin Creeping Charlie. My constant watering makes it even worse. I started with one four inch pot 2 years ago and due to my obsession with propagating I turned it into hundreds of plants. I have it in many of my hanging baskets as well.

Never ever put mulch over the top of it. That makes it even harder to remove. Lesson learned the hard way.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8640285

oppps. To late. I mulched the sin out of that bed. . The good news is It is up against the woods and a really horrible dried to rock clay spot in my yard. So I am not going to worry about it. I need to take pictures and start a thread for my new garden project at our temp home for the next 2 to 3 years. My DH keeps saying you know this is temp right?? How are you going to move all these plants?? I just smile and keep on going about my merry way.
Lulabelle1
East Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8641319

Beautiful gardening, Frank. The thought of all that work makes me ache all over! -- But it is motivating.
I have another question. In the photo of the bed "by the drive", what is the hosta with the "ribs" and ruffling on the edge. It is just to the front and left side of the tree.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8641348

That is Clovelly with the piecrust edges. I bought it last fall at Hornbakers.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by franknjim

Lulabelle1
East Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8641362

Clovelly is just Lovely!. If I keep looking at your photos, I am sure a little road trip will be in my future.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8641389

There is a lady that lives a half block off Knoxville Ave in Peoria just south of Proctor Hospital that sells hostas from her yard. She has 300 varieties. I picked up a huge start of Solar Flare and Ice Age Trail from her for $15.00 each.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8642097

Wow,, I think I need to visit too!! heehee

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 20, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8642196

Jim,
Does she sell to non Illinois residents? thanks,
Bellie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8642240

I am Frank. She doesn't do mail order, She just sells from her yard to people that stop by. Hornbaker Gardens in Princeton, Illinois does sell online. http://www.hornbakergardens.com/

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8642560

So Frank can ya hook us up ,,,lol Just kidding. Would be nice to have someone close by with that many hostas!!
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8642630

I am up to 195 varieties. I planted my last two new ones yesterday. Now I am going through withdrawls. I should be getting a box in the mail this week from the secret hosta swap and I am thinking about making another run up to Hornbaker's again this weekend now that I have put a lot of hours in on my want list. I have to be careful what I get because I am pretty much out of room for any more giants and large hostas. Mediums will be pushing it but I know I can fit in a bunch more small, mini & dwarf.

I will have to cut out more of the concrete driveway to make a new hosta bed. It will be the third time cutting out a part of the driveway to make more planting room.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8643024

OMG,, want to come south for a while and help me plan out my garden?/ lol
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8668172

Lovely beds, franknjim! Especially like your water feature. Do you think, toads will come to my water garden. It's in full sun.

Thumbnail by irawon

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8668349

That's a nice water feature but I am not sure if a toad could get up over the top of it. I put an upsidedown flower pot in mine with a piece of flagstone on top of it to act as a ramp just below the waters surface so the toad could get out if it goes in. The birds are loving it.

I have a 100 gallon rubbermade stock tank on my driveway full of soil that I keep soaked with a King Tut Papyrus planted in it that grows about 6' tall. I have a couple of elephant ears and some horsetail reed in their pots that sit in there as well. I never leave water sitting on top of the soil because mosquitos breed in it. There was a case of West Nile Virus one county over so I watch for skeeter larvae.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 2, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8668592

Could you show a picture of your King Tut Payrus. Would love to see it. I'm thinking i might build a staircase into my little water garden. I bought some gold fish for the water garden this afternoon. Hear they will eat the mosquito eggs. The water garden is 3' x3' and I got 6 goldfish but one died upon arrival. Although both my hubby and my daughter were a bit skeptical about the gold fish being a good idea, they were visibly happy to see them.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8669390

The stock tank is 48" wide x 36" x 32" tall. Last year I had it partitioned with the left 1/3 filled completely with soil. That's where I grew last years Papyrus. The other 2/3 had about a foot of soil and I grew a water lily since that area was kept full of water. This year I just put more soil in it to grow another papyrus. It is about 4' tall right now.

This pic is from last year before the water lily and Papyrus totally filled the tank. I barely have any room left in the yard to plant anything so I just end up growing things in pots on the driveway.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8669393

This pic is this year. The Papyrus will fill about half of the tank, grow another two feet taller and the stems will get very thick. The heads on top get about 16" to 24" across. I will take better pics of it this year when it gets big.

Thumbnail by franknjim

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 3, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8669486

Wow, those are beautiful plants, Frank! Some of my water plants survived the winter in vases indoors. The black elephant ear finally died but the green one grew so big that I can't use it in that little garden. It's still inside in a big glass vase. Since you are in approximately the same zone as me, how do you overwinter your plants? They look very healthy and robust.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8669581

I grow the Papyrus as an annual. I kept some of my smaller elephant ears growing in pots indoors over winter while others were just stored as bulbs in the basement. I try not to have too many plants growing in the house. When I was younger I had hundreds of houseplants, both tropicals and succulents/cactus and that is a bit much.

This picture is a bed that I started last year after cutting out a section of the concrete driveway. I had just used this bed to hold extra hostas. Water was sitting in the bed so I dug everything up this week and topped it off with soil and compost. My idea of compost is the area where I dump all of my landscape waste of leaves, extra soil, dead plant material, live plant material, sod, fallen branches, maple tree roots and weeds. After a few years I have a huge pile of really nice compost.

The front of this bed gets about 5 hours of afternoon sun so I put some annuals there. I put Inspire Greatness in the center back. It will dominate this bed once mature. Back corners are two starts for propagation from my biggest giant that is in the front yard. I also have four new minis, extra Blue Mouse Ears, two hosta seedlings that I found in my yard a few years ago near my Love Pat. Most of the stuff on the shelf is all extras for online trading and giving away to my neighbors.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8669599

I cut out another section of the driveway last year to plant a Weeping Mulberry tree. I replaced the old wrought iron front porch railings with all white PVC rails and posts last year so I bolted the old supports together and bolted that to the driveway so I could grow a wisteria on it that has been sitting in a pot on the driveway for a couple of years now. I removed more concrete to plant the wisteria and some tomatos. I am pretty much out of room to plant things so I have to make room.

I do have a 12' x 24' heavily shaded area behind the garage that I am going to fence off from the dogs and turn it into a hidden hosta garden.

Thumbnail by franknjim

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

July 3, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8669656

You certainly have a green thumb, Frank. That elephant ear is gorgeous. please post a picture of your new hidden hosta garden, when you're done.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8670366

These are not hostas, but just to show you what you can do with city property if you do NOT ask for promition... I am doing it for a last 8 years, changing it around, mostly annuals, but it gives me space to plant and I don't have to mow the grass al the way in the front.

Thumbnail by kiseta

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8670398

I love these flowers and the way they match the fire hydren is a real bonus, the thing looks like it belongs there! What kind of flowers are they in the front, orange mass planting??
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8670414

They are zinnias, something with the "fire" in it, I bought it in a flat and it done so good this year, that I am planting more next year too. I am in a very hot area and sometime when I plant flowers, I have to pretend I live in Mexico, where the zinnia originate from.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
1:50 AM

Post #8670944

I hear you !! It's a great idea. :)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8671824

Very pretty!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8671902

I think I might try some zinnias next year, do they bloom all summer??
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 4, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8672033

Kiseta,
I am glad the city does not mind you gardening on City property. I had not seen any around my neighborhood. Pretty zinniases!!!~ Bellie

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8672146

I've got the whole corner dug up in my yard. Installed cobblestones, dwarf crape murdle , bamboo Nadine, miscanthius, rose bushes, blue rug juniper, azalea bushes, diamond grass, monkey grass, grand tiara hostas and a bird bath!

Thumbnail by virginiarose

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8672199

virginiarose, the zinnias bloom all the way till frost, long as you deadhead them regulary and water them az they needed. For a 13.00 doll. flat, you could of cheerd that spot up in no time. Some time they let you mix the colors to make a whole flat that would be the best. I have pink, yellow , apricot and small white ones. They are very happy in 95 degree heat.
Bellieg, I got them at a local privat nursery, but Lowe's have them sometime in early spring. Also you can plant some seeds, it is very easy to raise them. I ordered some seeds at Swallowtail seeds.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8672200

correction, Swallowtailsgardenseeds,

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8672489

Sounds good! Are they easy from seed? I think I have some. I remember ordering some purple ones. Yes I do they are 'Purple Prince'.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America