Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trash to Treasure: New use for old fountain!

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 27, Views: 561
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8632134

I wanted to plant succulents, but they are $3.00 a piece here, so opted for moss rose since it does so well. Used my GS treasures, the little piller candle holders and mini gazing ball in there.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Click the image for an enlarged view.

J2222
Southern California, CA

June 15, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8632649

Great job. I am also impressed with your high energy level!!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8632840

What a neat idea! (and I am impressed with your high energy level too!)
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8634287

As I fessed up on another thread I have Bipolar 2 disorder which causes hypomania (high energy levels) and creativity, but then later comes fatigue and sometimes depression.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8634324

curves, I can't imagine you ever being depressed with all those beautiful things you create around you. Thanks for this one (as well as some others). I think I will do this with that pretty little fountain (yard sale find) I've never hooked up, but is sitting on the deck with lots of other plants . It's only one level but has a nice statue group and some smaller pockets I can probably put a succulent in. My momma cat won't be happy, she's been sleeping in it.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8634574

I really like this idea! I have a fountain in the courtyard that wastes a lot of water and the pump went out anyway. So I had DH drill some holes in the bottom tier which I plan on planting something in. Haven't decided what yet. I need to put a lot of planting soil in it. Maybe I'll run into Home Depot this week end and buy several bags and get to planting.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8639733

Great idea Curves! I don't know why, but I've never really wanted a fountain... but tiered plantings are definitely in my dream landscaping plans. I'm filing this idea in the "Me Wanty" folder!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8640372

I have an old long sink I use for succulents, but if I ever come accross a fountain I know what I'll use it for. Great idea! Once in a while I can find a succulent at our local 99 cent only store, but most of mine came from my sister who in turn got them from a friend who was moving. Always looking for something I don't have.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8640823

I'm not all high energy. This week I didn't do much. I took a fall on some rock with my dog in the moutains and at 56 it takes a big toll on the body. I was thankfull Cubbie was ok. He is only 4 1/2 lbs. I wanted to show you how the fountain has changed already.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8642518

That is filling in nicely☺

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 20, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8643078

Be careful climbing Curve, as we get older we aren't as balanced as in our younger days.

I think you picked the perfect plant for that fountain. The moss rose look so nice and I love the art you have placed amoung them. Kitty and fence are perfect. I think I need some moss rose now, have a few small items to be placed amoung them. I picked up a wire basket at the thrift store today, planning on putting some sedem in it. There was another basket just like it, and if this turns out nice I'll get the other one, that is if it is still there. Hope I can find a fountain soon.
RottedRoots
Marshfield, MA

June 22, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8646474

I love my fountain that does not function. There used to be a larger variety in it but the strong ones do take over using what a friend of mine calls "Rollers" The young little chicks roll away from Mom and just start growing. I have mailed ordered them in the past and they just send them in a little paper candy bag. If you send me an addy I will drop a few in a bag for you and send them out.

Show me someone who does not periodically suffer from some sort of depression or GAD and I will show you a very lucky individual. Rock On!!!

Now if the Hens and Chicks grew half as fast as the &%^*$ Bishops weed in the background then I would be one happy camper!

Thumbnail by RottedRoots

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 22, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8647151

Oh yes, I have to find an old fountain, just perfect for succulents. I bought some hen & chicks a while back at a nursery, but haven't planted them yet, a different variety since they look like they have cobwebs on them. And I went to a 99 cent store yesterday and found a tiny one, they do have some succulents once in a while, but never saw one like this.
Lee40
Fort Worth, TX

July 14, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8691651

That's awesome! Very creative.
J2222
Southern California, CA

July 14, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8691744

Curves: Hope you are feeling better. Sorry to hear of your fall and depression. Your moss rose is coming beautifully! Is that in full AZ sun or more shade? I've never grown it. Looks so nice.

Rottedroots: Chicks and hens are wonderful. I love the Bishop's Weed...it's gorgeous, too.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8728194

It's in some afternoon shade and doing better than the window boxes in full sun now! I have a bunch pf succulents from another member to plant, but they are gonna need shade! I have one Hens and chick. That fountain is beautiful with them. I'm looking for the cutest bicycle metal planter now. Any helpers? JoAnne's, Michaels or? Does anyone know how big the medium ones are? Amazon has them but no dimensions.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8728204

It's filled in now until you can't see the pillers and cat hardly. I never did drill holes in the bottom.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8729234

Curves, I think this is one of your prettier projects. I love it.
RottedRoots, I love, love your planter and love it even more because of the Hen & Chicks. I just got 35 different varieties, have potted them but thinking of ground planting them this Fall after I make a bed for them.
This pic. is of a few of them and the planter is/was a solar water fountain.
Gosh, wish we could upload more than 1 pic per post.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8729238

RottedRoots, forgot to ask, did you put drain holes in your planter. I have been cautioned about the Hen & Chicks drowning unless they have good drainage. In the above planter, DH drilled drain holes in each of the pots.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8733446

I found a bicycle planter on Amazon, full size for $123.00.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8734325

A beautiful bicycle planter curve, a little too pricey for me, but sure would love to have one. Never seen one like it. Everything I see I want and you can just put so much into a small yard.
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8744556

Curves, do you have drainage holes in the bottom? I have a birdbath that has a piece broken off. I have been trying to think of a use for it. Your idea may just be what I needed. Great job!!!
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8747925

I dont , and it is doing fine. I'm sure holes would be better. I am careful not to overwater and things dry out fast here.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8803740

Here is a neat pic of succulents in a fountain in Cambria, CA

Thumbnail by curvesarein

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8810305

That has to be the prettiest display od succulent I've ever seen. Wish I could do that. Love the Hen & Chicks.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8810339

I love it too, My fountain is empty right now. But not sure if Succulents can take our cold winter when we have freezes.
kitgary
Springville, IA

September 16, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8810838

That's just beautiful!
I work at a garden center that has a 12 foot tall three tiered fountain that is cracked and won't work as a fountain. It's in the formal rose garden. I have been trying to get them to do something like this. I'll show them your pics.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8810930

Take pics if you do please!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America